Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• dan5dan5 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. Just bought a 2006 Steel grey OBS SE. I'm debating whether it's worth purchasing the corner bumper moldings from the dealership or elsewhere. I travel to the city alot and want to avoid dings and scratches as much as possible. Any advice? Also, will the moldings peel off or damage the paint down the road? Are they worth it? :confuse:
  • ski1328ski1328 Member Posts: 2
    That's the next step...I was just hoping someone else has had a similar problem so I wouldn't have to fork out the $$$ at the dealership if it's a simple fix! Thanks for the advice :)
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Shop around a bit, they're simple to install since the adhesive is already on the parts. Improper installation can cause a problem down the road, I've seen them fall off at car washes.
  • rusoffrusoff Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating getting an impreza sport on an outback. I'd prefer the sport in general, but I do go up to the mountains for skiing in the winter and would like to have the added clearance of an outback. Is the suspension on the outback different, or are the tires and wheels simply larger? Could I buy a set of larger wheels and tires for winter driving with the sport? Anyone have experience with the sport in deep snow?
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There isn't much room for play with bigger tires. The tires will rub the wheel wells, and I'm not sure if they make taller springs for the Impreza Outback Sport.

The big Outback does have more clearance, almost 2" more. But it also has a longer wheelbase and long overhangs, so the angles of approach, departure, and breakover angles are still not great.

I would actually recommend the Forester. It's based on the Impreza platform but has more clearance and better approach/departure/breakover angles than the others. The LL Bean model even has self-leveling rear shocks, so you have 8.1" of ground clearance even with a load.

-juice
  • welsasserwelsasser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Impreza Outback Sport.
    On my way to work yesterday, my speedometer stopped working and the "check engine" light turned on.
    In the process of looking the car over, I realized that the oil was also almost empty. The dealership had changed the oil almost 3 months ago and we did verify that it was at the right level at that time.

(We found with previous oil changes that the amount of oil filled was not always correct and now we verify everything before we leave the dealership.)

We have not noticed any signs of an oil leak. And looking
    under the hood and under the car, there are also no visible signs of any leaks.

The dealership is also stumped on this part of the issue,
    though they found the issue with the speedometer - the
    speed sensor went out.

The car is a 2005 with 15k miles and I'm surprised that I'm
    having any issues. Also, I'm a fairly concerned about the
    oil issue. Has anyone experienced a similar problem.
    I didn't think these cars had issues burning oil, especially at this rate and this age/mileage.
    But we do know that the oil level was correct almost 3
    months ago. After getting the oil changed, I have not done
    anything with the oil (i.e. I have not removed any
    oil) and we do not see any signs of a leak...

Does anyone have any ideas as to why in 3 months, the car
    has lost/burned almost all of the oil?

Thanks,
    wbe
    Just to be sure, get under the car and make a close inspection. Check the valve cover gaskets as well as the head gaskets (4 total). Then check the front main seal, and the rear main seal.

If the block is totally clean, I'm stumped, too. 1 quart per 1000 miles is industry standard for max wear, and you said 3000 miles, so at most it should have gone thru 3 quarts. You should still have had at least *some* oil in there.

Hmm, no oil pressure warning light ever came on?

This is just bizarre...

-juice
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I hope I'm not restating the obvious, but I'm curious how you know the car was almost out of oil...did you drain it and measure the quantity, or did you just check the dipstick? My understanding of the Subaru engines is that on the dipstick, the distance between H and L on the stick is only 1 quart, so it is NOT a measure of how much oil is in the engine. If you checked the dipstick and it was dry (or very low) you should get a reading on it if you add one full quart of oil. Just a thought...maybe I'm incorrect here?

Brian
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Did they replace the crush washer when they did the oil filter?
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I'm actually looking in the Forester threads for some info, but saw this thread and wanted to note . I traded in my 99 Outback Sport on my 04 Forester. It was a manual.

It was a great vehicle and fun to drive. I put 147K miles on it and only put front brakes on once, a timing chain, one set of tires at 80K and regular maintenance. The original BF Goodrich TA's were awesome and I replaced them with the same and the dealer still had two of them on when re-sold at 147K. These are great tires for the Outback Sport for those of you looking at tires. That was my second Subaru.

I finally traded it in on the Forester because I was staring brakes, clutch, timing chain, (front quarter panel replacement/oops), and a few other things (2,500 worth total) and an 04 Forester with clutch in MY colors was sitting on the lot and my dealer wanted to get rid of it bad in Feb 05. I got it cheap (checked here) and they still gave me 2,200 trade in on the Outback Sport (I was facing approx 2,500 worth of repairs, maintenance).

Well, I got the goodies out of my Outback Sport and I still see it around with a cute blond driving. Her dad called before buying. They sold it for 4K.

I love Subarus. That was a great vehicle.
  • kat95kat95 Member Posts: 49
    I had a 95 impreza which I loved seats were comfortable. Went looking at the 06 impreza and found the redisigned seats small and uncomfortable. The side bolsters are hard and the seat bottom is short. I'm only 5" 2 and decided on the Legacy. I wanted the impreza wagon. Can anyone who has
    the newer impreza tell me how they feel driving for long distances and even around town.

Thank you :)
  • drivelikejehudrivelikejehu Member Posts: 21
    hello, i posted above about my clutch vibrating when depress or release the clutch throughout all gears. sometimes this is pronounced, sometimes it is not...

i can't get to the dealer for another 10 days. am i okay to be driving around with the clutch behaving like this? i love my outback sport, but this is very worrysome. the tech at the dealer suggested letting the clutch 'slip' to reduce vibration in the meantime. i have no idea what this suggests...

sorry to be so bothersome!
    He's right. Some surface rust causes that, and a little wear clears it away.

Mine does it once in a while but I have 86k miles and no slipping of any sort, so it's been OK, it just feels weird.

-juice
  • kloson123kloson123 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Forester 2.5X. Its been a great ride so far (~28K miles). I just experienced a similar oil "disappearing" problem. I made a cross-country trek (NV to NY and back) and while on the way back, somewhere in Kansas, my engine/oil light came on. I pulled off the highway at the next exit, stopped at an auto parts store, turned the car off, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. When I checked the dipstick, it was dry. I put it back in, pulled it out, and it was still dry (figured I'd seen a mirage).

I bought two quarts of oil. I put the first quart in, let the car sit for about five minutes, then checked the oil level...the dipstick was still dry. I added another quart, let the car sit for another five minutes, and then checked the oil...the dipstick was still dry. I ended up adding a little over three quarts of oil, to the point where the dipstick level was about halfway between L and H.

When I got back home, I took the car to the dealer and explained the situation to them. They checked for leaks and found none. They did an oil/filter change and I am scheduled to go back to the dealer this Wednesday (8/30/2006) for an oil consumption test. I will post another message when I get the results of that test.
  • jeenyusjeenyus Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: if anyone sees this post can you please help... i'm looking to find some more performance parts for my outback sport se 06
  • cityfishercityfisher Member Posts: 11
    My 2006 subaru outback sport was hit by someone at night while it was parked in a parking lot. The SOB ran away without leaving anything but some glass on the ground probably from the headlight of his car. The fender of my car is totally destroyed. The bodyshop is going to order a new fender from subaru and put it on. Do you guys have an idea how much the reasonable charge would be and how long this would take. My car is made in Japan, where will the ordered part be shipped from? Japan or Subaru US? Thanks.
    A new fender probably doesn't cost much. My Forester's hood was something like $175 way back when, but it still has to be painted.

Should be $400-500 or so, just a guess.

-juice
  • cityfishercityfisher Member Posts: 11
    You mean the fender comes unpainted? I thought they would order a fender with exactly the same paint color from subaru.
    Primed in black is how my parts have come.

I've ordered from on-line wholesalers because you get a better price than a body shop will give you. And the part is OE.

Body shops basically charge retail and keep that markup.

-juice
  • handigalhandigal Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if the 98-01 impreza sport suffered from the same head gasket problems as the outbacks of those years. thanks,
    carol
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,782
    The phase I and II 2.5L engine gaskets were the problem, not the vehicles in which they were installed.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    Hi,

My son just bought a '98 Outback Sport, and we want to install Thule canoe racks. How do we get the factory crossbars off? There are two Philips head screws on the bottom of each which appear to hold the bars to the rails, but turning them CCW doesn't do anything - it is as if there is something in the base of the rack turning.

Help!?
    The factory crossbars should be removable using a small Torx driver from the *top*. Loosening these bolts (one on each side) will open the "mouth" of the clamp and you just pull one side toward the rear or front, then slip the other side out. It is very fast and very easy.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    xwesx,

Thanks for the reply. However, there are no screws on the top of the crossbars, only two philips screws on the underside of each "foot" that seem to go into the rails. When we asked the dealer, he said he thought we had to remove an end cap on the rails and slide the crossbars off. That seems awfully complicated for what should be an easy job...
  • kametarokametaro Member Posts: 2
    stantont,

I am having the same problem removing the original roof rack from my outback sport. Any luck on figuring it out yet? Also, what roof rack did your son end up getting? Does it work with the original track or does it attach to the roof by clipping over the window seal? I have been trying to get a canoe on my Subaru too and wondering if Subaru makes any accessories for their roof rack specifically for canoes (not kayaks) It would be pretty sweet if they made hardware that would fit in to that track and accommodate a long round bar (like the Yakima system) that could extend out as far as one needs it. Any suggestions?...
  • kametarokametaro Member Posts: 2
    I figured out how to remove the roof rack. It seems to me that the original roof rack wasnt designed for function but for looks. The whole track rail has to be removed in order to remove the cross bars. There are 2 screws holding down each end of the track(they are concealed by a small rectangular pieces of plastic that are glued in place over the access holes). Slip a putty knife under these covers to remove them. Then loosen the screws and the whole rack comes off easily. Once it is on the ground you can attack those stubborn screws holding on the bar that are probably rusted out and therefore that is why they werent backing out when you attempted to remove them, initially. Hope that helps. I am now attempting to modify the rail to accept a yakima riser and round bar.
  • damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    I'll share what I did to get two kayaks on my Impreza. I originally looked at getting Subaru crossbars and a Yakima rack system. Found out that the Subaru crossbars would handle the weight, but might have a problem with updrafts, and with two boats on top you can generate some significant pull on the factory bars. Ended up getting the Yakima 48" crossbars, the LowRider towers and two HullRaisers for the boats. Am extremely satisfied with Yakima. Many others also like Thule, which is just as good, so they say. Main difference is round bars with Yakima and square bars with Thule. I like the round, as I can loosen up and swing down the HullRaisers to improve aerodynamics when not in use. Can't do that with Thule. I'd strongly suggest skipping the factory crossbars. They're just not terribly strong, and a pain to work with. Hope this helps.

-Padron-
  • sinjin7sinjin7 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking around for a while now. No answers anywhere.

Want to know if there is a Cabin Air Filter in my '99 Impreza Outback Sport hatchback.

No mention of it in the manual. But I have found 'replacement filters' available online [???]

I am not really a mechanic type, but I do know the drill to replace most models Cabin Filter...

I have not gone so far as to start dismantling anything to find out first hand - I wanted to try to find an answer first.

I know this model has in fact 2 air filters to begin with. My mechanic pointed this out and said it was odd. I am assuming it has something to with the little hood scoop?

Or does this have any Cabin Filter effects for the A/C system too ?

Lost and puzzled. I do know that the interior is a dusty mess no matter how often I clean it...and I have read a lot about how godawful interior air quality is On The Road.

Can a Caibn Filter system be Added to this car aftermarket? or is that an expensive Joke of a proposition ?

Any. ANY and all guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
    My 98 Forester had 2 filters as well. There is a plate that you punch out, sort of, to insert the filter, which was an option.

Look in the passenger area foot well to see it.

I'll look for photos to clarify...
    Found some good ones.

The first shows the cut-out, I had to use the knife to remove the plastic cap.

The 2nd shows me inserting one of the filters.

I bet you do not have it - it was just an option.
  • snowboardwomansnowboardwoman Member Posts: 3
    Hey!.

I have a 2008 Impreza Sport. I drove through the second half of last winter in Vermont with the original all-weather tires and it was just fine! I have a half mile driveway which is not well-plowed and did not get stuck once. It was also quite nice even on ice with extremely sensitive ABS. Although the ground clearance is not immense, it zooms through the snow. There is nothing like Subara AWD.

I bought this car rather than the Legacy Outback for styling and handling (It is a blast to drive and handles well in traffic when I venture down to the gas-powered flatlands. For the price, this model had a better stereo, upholstery, heated seats. I take my golden retriever puppy in the back. His crate fits with one seat down. I leave the roof rack off unless I need it, as it squeals a bit in the wind when empty and adds 2mpg to the rating!

This winter I plan on getting my usual studless Hakapellitas. They are just fine on any car. My decision is whether to buy rims and a different size tire- 205-55-16. This is listed as an alternative with some Subaru websites. These would be cheaper and more available than the 17 inch narrow tires. The other question would be whether the winter wheels will need some sort of electronic hook-up with the tire pressure monitoring system. (Wish it did not have that!) I plan on calling several dealers for advice before I make a decision.

Good luck making your decision! I don't think you can go worng either way. Just test drive and get the one that meets your needs and your sense of fun!
    The smaller rim diameter will result in less expensive tires. 17" tires are becoming more and more available, but from my research 16's resulted in a larger selection and were typically $15-20+ cheaper per tire.

My friend has a standard 08 Impreza, and I am fairly certain 15" rims will fit on that, at least according to Tire Rack (as an alternate size). 15's are even less than 16's.... I am not sure if there is a hardware (brake) difference between the two trims.

Super sensitive ABS, huh? That would be the poor traction of the stock tires. ;) Yeah, one can get around just fine with the stock tires, but you may find yourself blown away by the car's performance with those Nokians.

As for the TPMS, you can get sensors for the second set of rims, but you have to get them programmed (I think this must be done at a dealer) for the car. Not sure if you then have to get the originals re-programmed in the spring. You can also run them sans TPMS sensors, if you can stand the (!) on the dash all winter. :shades:
  • arutharuth Member Posts: 2
    Looking for an economical winter car - found a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback for $4,275 with 156,000 miles. Am I nuts to borrow money for two years for a car with such high mileage? It has a clean title and is a local repo. Never owned a Subaru. Any words of wisdom out there?
    Hi!

I have had quite a few Subarus, including 3 Imprezas. They are great cars for winter and I have found them to be much more dependable than the Legacy. I sold a 1995 Impreza with 160,000 miles 3 years ago for $2200. That was a pretty good deal for the buyer, but I knew that it had been driven by my high school kids, so I wasn't going to promise anything for future repairs.

Currently, my son in college is driving my 2000 Impreza RS coupe with 170,000. It has had its share of repairs because of his driving style, such as shocks,springs, and manual transmission, but it always starts and goes anywhere with snow tires.

The mileage is not such a big deal if you don't plan on putting a huge amount of miles on yourself. You should be able to get 2-3 years more out of the car. Have a local garage check it for rust, undercarriage issues, suspension, and basic engine stuff, including belts. Find out a little about the driver. Makes sure he didn't do pizza or newspaper deliveries!

The PRICE seems a bit high, so check out Kelly Blue Book online values for your area and then offer a little over the wholesale price. The seller will let you know if they are interested or think you are crazy! If the car hasn't sold for a month, they may be surprisingly interested. Sometimes I print out the values to show the seller.

Put some winter tires on, such as Nokians and you will be able to drive anywhere this winter!

Hope this helps.
  • arutharuth Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great feedback! Deciding now between the Impreza and a 2001 Forester with "only" 96K on it. Looking forward to becoming a Subaru owner!
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester with 184,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner, and have maintained it religiously since new. It's had a few issues, but is an otherwise great vehicle. If the one you're looking at has been well maintained, it may be a car you can depend on for many more years. Good luck!

Len
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Congrats on your decision! Hey I snowboard too and love it! :shades:
    It depends highly on the car itself. Subaru vehicles are fantastic, in my experience, but if they have problems, they can be a complete nightmare. In particular, watch out for head gasket issues. The Forester, at 96K, may be due for a major service (is it 105K on the Forester, as with the Legacy/Outback?) including timing belt. That is several hundred dollars at a shop, so factor that into the purchase price. For me, known history on a used car is quite valuable. Without it, I have less confidence in the vehicle's apparent condition and therefore will not pay as much for the car.

I put nearly 140,000 on my 1996 Outback after purchasing it at 83,000, and had I not lost it with 220,000 miles on it, I would likely still be driving it today with nearly 260,000 on the ticker. Were I not able to do much work on it myself, though, I would have put in a few thousand in repairs over the years to get there. As it was, I would say that I spent, on average, about $500 a year in maintenance and repairs during the six years I owned it.
    I would check for oil leaks and maybe do a compression test on that 2.5l boxer engine, to make sure the head gaskets are still sealing properly.

I agree that the Outback Sport was a bit overpriced.
  • shawmoushawmou Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for my son. Can anyone contribute suggestions/comment about this car?

Thanks in advance.

Terence
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Great vehicle. I did the same when my son got his driving license back in 1996. He's now 30 and on his second Outback Sport, an '06 model.

Bob
    Other than two-tone paint and a roof rack, is there anything unique about the OS trim? A friend of mine recently (Sept) purchased an '08 Impreza hatch, base model, and it seems like a solid little car. The price was pretty good, too.
    Yes, the Outback Sport gets the AWP (heated seats, heated outside mirrors and a windshield deicer). In the Impreza model line, you have to move up to the WRX Premium in order to get those features, as they're not available on any other Impreza.

Once you've experienced bun warmers, nothing else will do. :)

The Outback Sport also gets 17" wheels with 205/50x17 tires and a slightly raised suspension. Other non-turbo Imprezas get 16" wheels and 205/55x16 tires.

Bob
    Hi!

I have a young adult son- 22. We have had numerous Subarus and they are all great, safe cars. I have found the Impreza to be much more reliable than the Legacy model.

I have a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport of my own and love the handling in city traffic and mountain snow. Just today, it saved my butt on my icy driveway...I hit the brakes and turned sideways, but with a few turns on the glare, the wheels caught and I was on my way to work. I have driven 26K with no problem whatsoever.

My son drives my old 2000 Impreza RS 2.5 Coupe. It has 180 K miles and is just starting have some big issues. Probably because he is a rough driver. But, other than suspension, because of his driving, it always starts, drives safely, and doesn't cost me too much in repairs.

i think that Subarus are worth the extra money for the AWD, handling, and low repair cost. If you are buying a used car, check the record for # of owners and any questionable issues.
    Hahah; that's ironic. The "Outback" gets 17" wheels. :P

Thanks for relaying that, Bob. I did not realize the all-weather package was so limited in its availability. I have never cared for seat heaters, but the heated mirrors are wonderful!
    Yeah, in the Impreza lineup only the WRX Premium, Impreza 2.5 GT and the Outback Sport get the AWP.

As for heated seats, I love them, and won't likely buy a car without that feature; same with the heated mirrors.

Bob
    I would not be surprised if the seats are mounted a little higher, too.

I once measured Outback vs. Legacy, and the seats was a whopping 4" higher up. I know the suspension accounts for half, but not all of that difference.

I wonder if the OBS is the same way? Higher mounted seats?
    Are you sure the seats weren't just manually raised with the height adjustment lever? I find it hard to believe the mounting for the seats are different.

Bob
  • shawmoushawmou Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for everyone's input. This may not be important, I found out the 09 model did not come with the keyless entry. Am I wrong?
    My '09 WRX Premium has keyless entry. I think the other models have that feature, but am not sure.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.