Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• rgsjr99rgsjr99 Member Posts: 17
    I was initially considering the TS wagon because of the monochromatic paint job and styling. But, after driving the OBS for a comparison I can tell you that the OBS handles much better. I wouldn't say that it's stiffer, it's noticeably more compliant and controlled. If I understand it right, they use softer springs with more aggressive struts to keep the tires planted. I did emergency lane changes while test driving each one back to back and felt that the OBS handled the job with less drama and more control than the TS. I'm not sure if it's due to the suspension or the wider 16" rubber but either way I'd say the OBS is the way to go especially since a TS optioned to OBS levels was priced the same if not a little higher than the OBS at my dealer. That and you get cruise control with the OBS which isn't available on the TS.

Rich
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ash: welcome back. How's life in the UK?

I've only driven the new OBS. It's very smooth, more quiet than you would expect. I had an older sales rep with me so I couldn't push it hard, but the ride was impressive.

Have not tried the TS yet.

-juice
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    life's fine in the uk. still haven't found many subes. lots of porsches though...

I'm finding I don't use the net as much over here. It can't really compare to what London's got to offer for entertainment !

-- ash
  • piperboy72piperboy72 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I'm going to purchase a 97 OBS with 5 spd transmission. This car has over 84k miles and spent most of it's life in CT. I would really appreciate any feedback on what owners have thought about this vehicle. Also I would love to hear about common problems to look for in this model. This will be my first ever Subaru and I'm quite excited.

Thanks
  • chill105chill105 Member Posts: 13
    Hey everyone. Over the past several months I've been deciding what kind of car to get. I'm 17 years old, I've had my license for several months, and my parents told me that they'd decided to get me a car (I couldn't believe it). We have a house in the Pocono Mountains, so they said I had to find a vehicle w/ 4 wheel drive that was very safe (I'll be driving my friends a lot). They told me I had to do all the researching to find what car I wanted and the best price. I also didn't want a huge car, because I don't like the feeling of driving them around and they consume gas like it's water. I immediately looked at the Outback Sport, and your positive remarks greatly aided my decision. Originally I was set on getting a used OBS, but they're only like 5,000 less than the new ones, and financing is much more expensive on them. I was thinking about the WRX wagon, but it's too expensive for me (I mean my parents) and I really don't NEED that incredibly awesome engine, although I really, really would like to have it.

Calling and "dealing" with dealerships was a very interesting and exciting experience for me, and I'm happy my parents made me do it all. (They were just there for support and suggestions). I really learned a lot.

I got a really good price on the vehicle- w/all the options, tax and tags, it came to a little over $20,000. I called around to all the dealerships in my area to see if they could get me a better price, but none of them came close. I told them the price I was getting, and they said "whoever's selling you that car isn't making any money- that's right around my invoice price." That made me pretty happy.

I also found great financing- 6.95% at www.peoplefirst.com
    The dealer was only offering something around 9% on the 2002's, even though my father has perfect credit.

At around 3:30 today (EST), I'm going to pick up my brand new, 5 speed manual, 2002 OBS. I chose the midnight black pearl. The options I'm getting are as follows:

-Security System Upgrade (It was already on the car)
    -Keyless Entry
    -Premium Sound Upgrade (tweeters, speaker, subwoofer/amp)
    -Armrest Extension
    -Cargo Net
    -Air Filter
    -Rear Spoiler (it looks so cool!)

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it- I'm so excited! Many of my friend's families have Subarus, and from what I've experienced they're really great cars. Awesome handling, good performance, well priced, and they last forever.

I'll be sure to let you know all about my new baby as soon as I can.

Thanks for helping me with my decision!!
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Congrats! You got a great deal. Enjoy your ride and welcome to the fold!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    That's what I have and I love it.
    I had to get my clutch replaced at 38k because of a bad throwout bearing and fork. It was giving me problems (a loud squeak) since 12k and I had to get SoA involved to get it covered under warranty. I just had to get the front struts replaced at 52k and the dealer said they've only seen struts go bad on a few Subarus. Some 97 5-speed Subaru's had a problem with severe hesitation at low rpm's. You can read the TSB here:
    http://www.geocities.com/hobiegary/tsb.htm
    It usually shows up after an oil change. Try to find out if this has been addressed in that particular car. A quick fix is to re-set the ECU by disconnecting the battery.
    Yeah, I've had a few problems but this has been a great car overall.. You'll love the AWD. There's a picture of my car here: http://isuzu-suvs.com/subaru/pinebarrens.html
    (it's the only OBS)

Good luck,
    Dennis
  • action303action303 Member Posts: 17
    I'm considering installing the Ganzflow intake on my 2002 OBS when it arrives. Could you describe how much louder the car is with the new intake than it was originally (while accelerating and while cruising, and while idling for that matter)? Thanks!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Your folks are BUYING you a new car !?! If they ever feel like adopting a 33 year old, let me know ;-)

Seriously though, enjoy the new wheels and your weekends in the Poconos.
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Pipercub: You can also go to the Outback Sport Club at Yahoo. To go Yahoo.com, click on clubs, then type in "Outback Sport". Alot of folks there should have the type of OBS you bought.

Action303: The only time you hear it is on acceleration. Gentle acceleration, not much sound, HARD acceleration, it sounds cool, like a "whaaaAAAAAAAA". Not obnoxious like we have heard the Rallispec one is. At idle, you don't even hear it. I would not hesitate to recommend one.
  • baliflybalifly Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I am in the market for either a 2002 Legacy L. wagon or a Impreza OBS, 5 speed manual. There are so may questions, is there a FAQ area that I could go to?

Regards,
    Balifly
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The easiest thing to do is just start asking questions. Fire away...

Bob
    I would recommend two sites:

For info on the Legacy, go to i-club.com, they have a special Legacy forum there. My son just bought a 2000 Legacy L and loves it. A little roomier probably for passengers, width wise, maybe, but less headroom in the back, I think, than the OBS.

For info on the Outback Sport you can also read up here: go to Yahoo.com, click on clubs, and then type in "Outback Sport". Lot of Outback Sport fans there, that club is ONLY Outback Sports.

Between these two sites, you should be able to read up a LOT and decide.

My younger son says the Legacy has a stiff suspension and the OBS has a long-travelling suspension. You can go to the Subaru website also and see specs for both cars there. Good luck!
    You are either:

#1 racing around
    #2 up to no good, or
    #3 BOTH

which is it???
    Thanks for the heads up on the web sites!

Much to learn before deciding on the next mobile.

Here is the story, my wife and I live and work in Vancouver, B. C. Canada. We have a three year old Siberian Husky, and a vintage but well kept 1986 Honda Accord Hatchback. My wife takes Tara, our dog out daily to an off leash park on the banks of the Fraser River. In the mean time I need to take my parents who lives a couple of blocks away to do shopping, doctor appointments etc.

Being in prime fishing country, a fish mobile is
    invaluable. Stuffs like my Zodiac, small outboard motor, fishing rods, life jackets, waders used to be careful fitted in the hatch back with back seats folded down. The dog does not take up much room, just a quarter of the back space :))

The roof rack of the OBS or Legacy wagon should be able to take the Zodiac (50 pounds plus) ?
    What is the gas consumption of the Legacy wagon versus the OBS ?

The weather in early fall and late spring can be unpredictable, the stock tire are all season ?
    How much snow can they handle ?

Being AWD, there should be four snow tires for proper traction, correct ?
    The Legacy has the same tire P205/55 I 16 all season same as the OBS , correct ?
    IF so, how much for a set of four basic rims,
    and how much for a set of four basic winter tires ?

Vancouver B.. weather is very similar to Seattle, Washington. Have you found it prudent to have winter tires versus all season tires where you live ?

When there is heavy snow in town; the Honda has snow tires and will be use. I worry about the other cars smashing into me more than anything else!

Having read ALOT of the past posting, the question of rear sway bar interests me. What is the stock sway bar size ? Should I have 18mm or 20 mm installed at purchase time?

I like a peppy car for daily drive, and not lug around a lot of metal for the odd occasion!
    Leaning towards the OBS for now :))

My other favorite car was 1972 Rover 3500S with V8 (225 cubic inch ) engine, three functional cold air hood scoops with De Dion rear suspension.
    It also had outside temperature warning, adjustable time windshield wipers! Bad, bad Lucas
    electrics and worse leak power front out board and rear in board disk brakes.

Time to leap into the present, 2002 is it :))

Ladies and gentlemen clue me in please!

Regards,
    Balifly
    The roof rack of the OBS or Legacy wagon should be able to take the Zodiac (50 pounds plus) ?

The roof rack of both the OBS and Legacy/Outback are rated at 100 lb. The Forester's roof rack is rated at 150 lb.

What is the gas consumption of the Legacy wagon versus the OBS ?

Mid-20s. They both ave the same engine, but because the OBS is smaller/lighter, it should do slightly better than the larger/heavier Legacy/Outback

The weather in early fall and late spring can be unpredictable, the stock tire are all season ?

Yes.

How much snow can they handle ?

They do fine in the snow. However, a dedicated winter tire is best for deep snow.

Being AWD, there should be four snow tires for proper traction, correct ?

Yes. Whatever type of tire you use, you want the same on all four corners.

The Legacy has the same tire P205/55 I 16 all season same as the OBS , correct ?

Yes.

IF so, how much for a set of four basic rims,
    and how much for a set of four basic winter tires ?

I don't know. Check with your tire/wheel suppliers.

Vancouver B.. weather is very similar to Seattle, Washington. Have you found it prudent to have winter tires versus all season tires where you live ?

I don't live in that area. However folks who live in in wintery areas have often purchased winters tires as added insurance.

Having read ALOT of the past posting, the question of rear sway bar interests me. What is the stock sway bar size ? Should I have 18mm or 20 mm installed at purchase time?

I don't think that's something you need to worry about.

One final comment: I would recommend, based on what you've posted, the Legacy Outback or Forester over the regular Legacy or OBS. Why? Bigger, beefier tires, and raised HD suspension.

Bob
    go to i-club.com. There is a seperate forum for fans of Subarus in Canada, and one for the Vancouver area. Also there are separate Legacy and Forester forums, along with a general forum for any questions not specific to any particular thing. There you would likely find someone in your region with alot of local advice.
    A few other items to consider, and that favor the Forester:

• It's the only Subaru that comes with a full-size spare tire.

• It has slightly better angles of approach and departure, and ground clearance than other Subarus.

• It's a bit roomier than than the OBS, yet is still very nimble and fun to drive.

Also, do you do any towing?

If so, keep in mind that if your trailer doesn't have trailer brakes, Subarus are only rated to to tow 1000 lb. If your trailer does have brakes, it can tow 2000 lb. Please also note that 2001 and earlier Imprezas are rated less for both braked and unbraked trailers.

Bob
    Thanks for the rapid responses !
    The I-club link has given me a lot of reading material. As to the Forester and Outback wagon option, they are somewhat out of my present financial range :((

I am off to do some fishing and camping for two weeks starting the 6 of June. One of my fishing gal-pal will be driving up to meet us at a interior lake. She is from Seattle and has the 1991 OBS, so we will be able to do some actual test driving :))

Are the Legacy and OBS made in North America or else where ?

Regards,
    Balifly
    The base Forester L is not that much more expensive than an OBS or a Legacy L. Check out the following site. They're located in Maryland, but they list all their models and bottom-line prices. Even though you are in Canada, and the prices are different, it should give you a pretty good idea as to how models compare from a pricing standpoint.

http://www.fitzgeraldautomall.com/

The Legacys and Outbacks are made in the USA. All Imprezas and Foresters are made in Japan.

Bob
    Balifly...

Keep in mind when you drive the 1991 OBS that the engine was not as powerful as now. It may have been only 2.0 liter, but can't have been more than 2.2, as the 2000 OBS I had was 2.2 liter and 142 hp, whereas the 2002 is 2.5 liter and 165 hp. You should go to a dealer and just test drive to see what's there. I wondered too about that pricing on the Forester. I didn't think it was much more expensive than the OBS, but I don't know prices in Canada and know some folks up there are getting the TS wagon instead of the OBS because of cost! Do a search and see if Subaru of Canada has a website. They should! I know Subaru of America does.
    Subaru Canada www.subaru.ca is quite comprehensive. The various lines and model pricing are structured on a step ladder type pricing scale. The middle model of the lowest line is at a par with the base model of the next line up !!

The only 2002 model is the Impreza line.
    All other lines are 2001 pricing structure.

Heard some where "Man's got to know his limitation" John Waynn or was it Clint Eastwood ?

Next question, what is the 0 to 60 mph for the Legacy verses OBS in 5 speed ?

You guys and gals are good, very good!!!
    Don't try to lead me astray, OK :))

If anyone of you want to catch large Kamloops trouts, just let me know :))

Regards,
    Balifly
    I don't know the 0-60 numbers, but the OBS is lighter than the Legacy. 2,860 for the OBS vs. 3,345 for the '01 Legacy L wagon according to Edmunds. The 02 Legacy's will probably be out in the fall with some minor cosmetic changes.

Dennis
    The new OBS is heavier than that. I thought it was around 3100 lbs.

Prices in Canada differ, but at Fitz the Forester starts at $19,005 freight included. The OBS starts at $17,796, so it's kind of close, though it does have sweet 16" alloys.

-juice
    balifly: Don't know 0-60 times. My 2000 OBS was manual, with only 142 hp and I could launch from
    a stop faster than most cars. With the AWD, you can take off fast, but other cars get you after you shift out of 3rd. The 2002 OBS is 165, so you can only guess the launch is even faster.

Curb weight of the 2002 OBS from my book is 3,030 for manual and 3,105 for automatic. Of course, if you were to get the new 6-cyl Outback it's probably going to have better 0-60 times than anything.

Again, I would suggest you go to i-club, get on the Legacy forum and ask 0-60 times there. Have you been to i-club.com yet? Also you need to go to Yahoo clubs, and look for "Outback Sport" after you click on clubs. Now, that's just for info on the OBS, but they are very knowledgable, too.
    Actually, the WRXs have far better 0-60 than the H6 models do. The H6s have very tall gearing, which is what allows the 20/27 mpg EPA ratings. But it also makes it a good 3 seconds slower to 60mph.

-juice
    I thought that was too light. Edmunds is way under.
    Dennis
  • chill105chill105 Member Posts: 13
    I'm really so happy I got this car. I love almost everything about it. At first I wasn't too great with the stick, but I'm really getting the hang of it now. I drove it about 2 hours on the highway on my way to the Poconos, and had a chance to really test it on some windy/hilly/bumpy mountain roads as well. The car is very easy to handle, and I noticed it has an excellent turning radius. It seems like it just hugs the road- I feel very secure on turns. The ride is very smooth and quiet, especially on the highway, and the car's quite quick. Although I don't know my specific gas mileage, I can tell you that I didn't even use half a tank on a two hour drive (mostly highway). The interior is very convenient and well thought out, and the controls are very easy to operate. The fog lights are nice (we had a very foggy night on Sunday), and I really like the loudness of the horn (it's pretty obnoxious). I was surprised how good the sound system was, even though I haven't had the premium sound upgrade installed yet (I have to bring in the car for them to do it). It has plenty of cargo space, and the leg room is fine. The only negative remarks I have are as follows:

-The center sun visor is probably one of the stupidest features I've ever seen in any car. What is it for? That one split-second every year when the sun is in that exact little spot between the mirror and the roof? Get sunglasses. I would have rather them put in a passenger side vanity mirror. (I worked out something nice for that though- I got a 12 disc cd holder from case-logic that fits over the visor. It has a little mesh see through pocket and I stuck a little mirror in there. The holder covers the writing, and it's a convenient spot to hold my cd's. It looks pretty slick).

-While reading the manual, I noticed it said "make sure the antenna is fully extended for best radio reception." I thought "shouldn't it automatically extend?" I looked and it turns out you have to pull it up by hand. It's no big deal, and I like the way the antenna looks, but it was just kind of strange.

Overall, I really am in love with this car (and so are my parents- they love driving it!) I'm really happy I got it and would recommend it to anyone. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll be happy to let you know.
    Thanks for sharing you first drive impression.
    I am looking forward to more reports, maybe you will be too busy. Spending more time on the road and having a great summer with your friends:))

Celeste, I have been to the I-club and to Yahoo OutBack club also. Will spent some time to digest all that information first. Quite a few people enjoy adding on "stuffs" themselves Being a butter finger type, (I need special tool just to tie a knot on my fishing line. ) I think I will leave it to the proffesionals.

Regards,
    Balifly
    Balifly: If you look back thru these messages about 4 weeks or so, I posted a list of improvements they made to the 2002 over the 2000 model. It's pretty enlightening. There is a theory to avoid cars in the first year of redesign but I really feel they worked out alot of kinks to improve a model they want to be around for awhile. Anyway, it's not like the engine was redesigned. It's the same that was in the Rally Sport for so long!
    Hi Celeste,

Saw your post about the improvements, my 1986 Honda Accord Hatchback was the first year model.
    Aside from the usual wear and tear, it has been
    a regular work horse.

My wife has been very impressed with the OBS. She walked by a Subaru dealership after our Honda's alternator gave up ! She saw the OBS in her moment of despair. And now she wants it or the Outback station wagon with the leather seats (her friend has one) but it is way out of our range:((

When the cold and wet is at its worst in January, bunch of us Canucks are coming your way for some fishing and relaxing. Maybe I will bring the vehicle down for a road trip. What it will be is still up in the air so far :))

Regards,
    Balifly
    The Outback is awesome. I don't know about leather seats, though. You can't get them wet and have to baby them alot more than plain old fabric or vinyl. My son got to test drive the 6-cyl Outback and was quite impressed, although that one's way over our heads, too. For the money you really can't go wrong with the Outback Sport.

Yeah, alot of people down here fish. Some for the real thing, some for bottle bass, if you get my drift. Anyway, good luck on your quest for the right Subie!
  • sparklysparkly Member Posts: 1
    It'll be 3 years in August that I've had my Outback Sport and my affection for the car has grown over time. I really like its size -- it's roomy on the inside, accommodates extreme human height differences (I'm the solo driver of the car and I'm 4'10" tall and I've had a passenger who's almost 2 feet taller than me, 6'8" ride comfortably with good headroom in my Outback Sport. How many cars can do this?) and it's small enough to park almost anywhere without too much trouble. It's also a very sturdy car. I had an accident in it last summer; I did a solo spin-out on the freeway and ended up on the dirt embankment on the side of the freeway while trying to avoid some debris that was in my lane. I was jostled around a bit, but did not suffer any back or neck injuries and I think this was due to the good seat design along with seatbelt use that kept me contained. The car did suffer some body damage and I was told by the body shop that did the repair work that it's one of the better-built cars around.

I've also driven the car over long distances and have found it to be very comfortable with good back support and it handles well and is very stable on all kinds of roads and in wind and rain.

It also has great cargo room. I've been able to haul all kinds of stuff in the back -- it's like having a small truck.

By the way, all of my family members (parents & siblings) own Subarus. It wasn't planned, it just kind of happened.

Yes, I would buy one again.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Sparkly:

It seems true in alot of cases that when one family member buys a Subaru, others follow right along. We bought our first Subaru last year, and our son bought his first Subaru this year. Our youngest son isn't quite old enough for a car, but vows his first car will be a Subaru!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    For the Impreza Outback sport see:

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2000/subaru/imprezaoutback/sportwagon.html

Here's data for the (Legacy) Outback:

http://www.popsci.com/automotive/suv/cars/subaru_legacy.html

Hope this helps,

Rick D.

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    w/smaller motor. Even though the new OB Sport is a bit heavier, the 0-60 times should be a bit faster than the 01/00' models listed in post #687 due to the the 2.5 liter motor used now (165hp).

Stephen
  • piyapiya Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    This is my first posting on this group. My knowledge of Subarus is still limited although I like what little I've come to know.

I want to go in for a new manual Outback Sport, but the dealers here in the Detroit area seem to be out of it. They have offered me a TS Sport Wagon instead. Could anyone educate me as to the differences between these two? Would I be going in for less of a car if I settled for the TS?

I think the OBS was the only Impreza which came with ABS for earlier models, but they said the new '02 TS Sport wagons models come with ABS too.

Thanks in advance!
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    If it isn't too much trouble. I'm interest to see the cargo space with rear seats up and down. Thanks.

Leo
    Leomort: I can post pics tomorrow. We got back from out of town today and had to also hook our computer back up after having it fixed from damage due to an electrical storm. It's 11:00 pm and I'm beat. But I'll get some on for you sometime tomorrow. You should get a brochure from Subaru on the 2002 Impreza line. Very nice picures of the inside of the car, and specs on the back page.

Piya: The OBS is a very deluxe version of the TS wagon. Here are some things it has the TS does not: Removable cargo tray (very nice), 12-volt cargo power outlet (like a cigarette lighter type adaptor), Temperature gauge (shows what outdoor temp is, someone said he likes this to know if bridges are frozen over in winter before crossing), Graystone metallic lower color on bumpers, wheel arches, body-side moldings and rocker panels, huge fog lights, cruise control, roof rails with crossbars. Anyway, I got all this from the Subaru brochure I have. Oh, also, the TS has 15" steel wheels with wheel covers. The OBS had 16" aluminum alloys, which many have told me they like the looks of better than the WRX wheels.

I have a 2002 OBS and here is the clincher for me: I love cruise control for trips.

Go back thru past posts here to around the beginning of May. I posted pics here of the outside of my car.
  • derekgwderekgw Member Posts: 5
    I've gone back and forth on what I wanted for a new car and I ended up coming right back to Subaru (Currently drive a '93 Impreza wagon which is staying in the family. Better than giving the poor thing to some stranger). Hatchback, AWD, powerful engine for the class, it's all good.

Anyway I'm going to be picking up my Silver OBS in a few days. After going from dealership to dealership, and dealing with the worst they had to offer I finally went to the internet and got a good price from one of the sites that's out there with no haggling (go figure) I'd recommend that method of buying a car to anyone.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could find out a couple of things.

#1 - I've seen complaints on the quality of Subaru's paint as of late (My old one was ok . . . Better than a lot of '93 Civics, Crapaliers and Escorts I've seen running around but I think it was also repainted in various spots before I bought it so who knows). I've also heard that the Metallic paints they have are a bit better for durability than their other paints. Is this true and would the silver fall into the metallic variety? (Well it looks metallic-ish to me) Also, how soon can you wax the paint on this car. I've heard paint has to settle first before waxing but I'm not sure if that's the case nowadays let alone with this car.

#2 - Break-in time . . . How fast is too fast for this car during that period of time? I have not asked the dealership yet but I'm almost positive it's probably around 55 mph. Considering that everyone in this area drives 80-90 down the interstate despite the speed limit being 55 this will be interesting. Can I get away with at least doing 70 and not doing any damage to the car or compromising getting at least 200k miles out of it?

#3 - Does anyone here have experience with a clearbra on this car? How do you like it?

#4 - What kind of oil (Brand name, fully synthetic, semi-synthetic, etc) have you used and what would you recommended (assuming you change it yourself rather than going to the dealership or Oil XChange). Also are there any benefits to changing the oil early (before the first 3k miles comes up)

And finally #5 - Why couldn't Subaru make cruise available on the 2.5TS (Hey I got a cruise control kit for my '93. Genuine Subaru too. Why can't they do that for the 2.5TS?). I don't understand why a car that's already pretty well equipped with power everything, CD, etc wouldn't have cruise available for it. It's not an expensive thing, I think the add-on for my '93 was only $80 (bought a few months ago). Anyway, if it was that would've been the model I would've gone for (make mine that cool looking metallic blue that's not available on the OBS :p)

But that's just more of a complaint than a question. :-)

Any help you guys can give me on the first four questions however would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    derek: I'll try to answer what I can. You can also go to Yahoo.com, click on clubs, then type in "Outback Sport" to go to the Outback Sport club. Another source is i-club.com. You can search thru past topics at both sites and very informative.

I have read about many complaints on the paint. It seems to me that folks living in areas where there is lots of gravel and road scud kicking up, that the complaints are loudest. Here in Florida I don't have too many complaints about my paint.

We waxed both my 2000 OBS and my 2002 OBS within the first four weeks of ownership. Figure the paint has already been curing on the car, but that's just my opinion. Didn't seem to hurt either car. I would think silver would qualify as metallic.

I think they tell you not to go over 4000 rpm the first 1000 miles and to vary the speed (I interpreted this to mean, no cruise control during this period.) I pretty much did this, just don't drive like a wildman (for the time being) and you'll be fine.

I use 10w/30. The Subaru manual lists 5w/30 for temps that go cold and 10w/30 for temps that go hot. It's pretty much hot here. I have read not to use synthetics until you have 5000 miles on the car, but there are different schools of thought on this. Research at the sites I gave you above and see what you believe. Synthetic is quite a bit more expensive and I'm good about getting changes every 2500-3000 miles, so don't know if I'll go that route.

I think they wanted people to move up in price to the Outback Sport in order to get cruise control. Also, look back a little thru these posts a few days and I list some things the OBS has that the TS wagon does not. The whole thing is decked out more. Alloy wheels and all, nice looking, too!
    Sorry, took awhile to download to Zing.com, may have to try this more than once to get it to work, here goes (pics of inside back end 2002 OBS):

Notice the 60/40 split rear seat:

• estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Celeste, thanks for the photos. Could you tell me if the back seat bottom cushion folds up and forward, so the seatbacks can go farther down, to make the cargo area flat? If so, is the seat cushion also split 60/40 (like the Protege5 and Elantra GT, unlike the ZX3)?
    Thanks.

Erik
    The seats fold completely flat without having to put the bottom cushion up (one of the major upgrades from my '93 that I really liked) Most you have to do is take the headrests out.

This is a lot more convienent than the having to go through all that hassle just to get them flat (I never bothered unless I was carrying a lot for a long ways)
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thank you for the pictures. Does the OBS come with full size spare? Do you know what the cargo size is with seats up/down? Also what's the gas mileage with the new 2.5L? You have an automatic, correct?

If it isn't too personal a question, why do you chose the OBS? I'm debating between the Forester and OBS. The OBS might win out due to price consideration for me if cargo area is decent. Debating if it's worth waiting until the redesigned 2003 Forester comes out?

Thanks for the help.

Leo
    We'll see how that paint works out in Chicago then . . . Car paint doesn't usually survive here for long anyway unless you take very good care of it.

Mine was just fresh out of the wrapper before I reserved it. Had 25 miles on the odo and nothing worked (dome light, a/c, and radio were all disconnected they connect them during the prep) So I wonder how long the paint had to cure . . . I think I'll give it two to three months before I wax. It's probably not an issue until winter anyway.

Yup the OBS is more well equipped than the TS but, aside from Alloys & Cruise, the TS had everything I wanted on it already. I think you're right on that though with trying to move people to the more expensive model. It worked on me!

Thank you for all the other information on the car! :-)
This discussion has been closed.