Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    esto: Derek is right. You don't have to lift the bottom of the back seat (it is NOT split like the seat back, since it stays put), there are 3 headrests on the back seat you can remove in order to be able to slide the front seats further back with the back of the back seats placed in the downward position.

leomort: No, it does not come with a full-sized spare, which I regret, although with our 2000 OBS we did have to use the spare once, and it was OK. You don't want to drive on it much, but I don't anyway when I have a flat. I would like a full-size spare, but don't think it would fit in the spare compartment.

I have the automatic, on a recent trip to Ft. Lauderdale with about 500 lbs of people and some light luggage, with the A/C on almost full tilt, got a little over 23 mpg on the highway. In the city it's around 19-20. With my manual 2000 OBS I never got over 18 in the city. We run our A/C almost constantly in Florida except for maybe 3 months out of the year, which figures in. Not stellar, but the car is worth it.

Will get back with you on the rest, a lightning storm has brewed up and I need to log off to protect my computer from lightning damage. We were hit last week and don't want a repeat. Back later.....
    leomort: Back again! OK, cargo space according the the brochure for the OBS is 27.9 cu ft. with rear seat up, 61.6 cu ft. with rear seat down. Not sure how that compares with Forester. You could go to Subaru.com and check for specs there or go to i-club.com which has a Forester forum. You'd get an immediate response there, probably.

I chose the 2000 OBS I had because of the sporty looks but had to trade to an automatic from manual because of a nerve problem in my foot. So, just moved up to the 2002. I like the solid color of the TS wagon, but want the cruise control too badly, along with the other options. The fog lights are really big and sooo nice. Look back thru these posts to around the beginning of May--I posted pics of outside of car with lights on.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thank you again for all the info! Appreciate your time and effort.

Leo
  • action303action303 Member Posts: 17
    Well, the time has come. My black 2002 OBS will be ready for me in 2 days. I feel like I used to when it was December 23 :)

Anyway, my questions is mainly for anyone that has a 2002 OBS. I'd like to know if there are any tricky or hidden oddities about the car that I should specifically inquire about at the dealer, or if there are any features that are harder to figure out than you'd expected.

I want to make sure I have all the bases covered before I drive to the nearest dirt road :) Thanks!
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I just checked the subaru website and the Forester cargo area is rated as:
    seats up: 32 cu. ft.
    seats down, with moonroof: 58.5 cu ft.
    seats down, without moonroof: 63.1 cu. ft.

I believe mileage is 22/27 AT
    21/28 MT
    action 303: Congratulations! Another beutiful black OBS. Black is harder to keep pristine but in spite of that, it is hypnotic looking. (Although if they had silver on the lot that day I would have gotten that color!)

No real tricks with this car. Are you getting a manual or automatic? If manual, I do know some say it's not the most cinchy manual to drive. My 2000 OBS was manual, and I did notice that I needed to get the hang of it (it was different than my Volvos had been). I learned to wait until the clutch was almost all the way up to give it any gas at all, then give it VERY little until the clutch was all the way out. Other people who complaint about clutch shudder are those who are always giving too much gas too soon. My Volvos always seemed to engage halfway up, but the Subie as I said, was almost all the way up. But you can really launch those manuals. It just takes a little patience at first and learning when to give it the gas. I could beat almost any car off the line with that all wheel drive and a clutch. Even with my automatic 2002, if I put it in 1st gear, it launches really nice with my air intake. But I was told it's bad, bad, to shift thru the gears all the time with an automatic. So I save that for when I have a creep next to me at a red light who seems to want to take advantage of me, then, WHAM, I hit it and let him know 165 hp with an intake is to be reckoned with!

Oh yeah--I'll pass along something I have read about quite frequently on the i-club. Several people with new Subies get the car home and in the first few weeks find not all the fluids have been checked and some are already low.

Tell the dealer you have heard of this problem and please include complete fluid check when they detail the car for delivery to you....

Enjoy! It is such a tight car and rides on the highway like a little dream.....
    Did you get your OBS? How is the clutch working for you??
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    hello,
    It's me ramon. I've been away back to my home country for 3+ weeks. It was great. The trip was fantastic. Looks like celeste is doing a great job being the go to gal on these OBS topic. I can retire now. =)
    OK for some Suby content. when I was back in Malaysia, I got to see a few old WRX (STi? not sure) running around. Not alot. Saw one really sleek black Turbo Forester will make juiceman just slober over it. But hte best was this white B4 RSK when I was up at a mountain resort area. It looked so darn sweet. I want one!!!
    Scoobies are relatively scarce. But there's lots of Mitus Lancer EVOs. Really ricy lookin in person but we all know who killer these cars are. A few Skylines were also spotted.
    Aight gotta go now. bye!
    Thank you for the info :)

Leo
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I would've been chasing down those "super Subes" and asking for a ride!

Dennis
    no OBS, I have not heard from my dealer since I ordered it over 6 weeks ago. *sigh* Thanks for the fluid check idea.

Then I heard someone say that compared to the new mazda protege5 the TS/OBS handled like "shopping carts" Oy vey! More doubts for me.

Welcome back ramon! I was wondering what happened to you.

Action: how long was your wait? I'm pretty sure you ordered before I did.
    I ordered the car on May 7 (Van Bortel Subaru, upstate NY..that's why I wanted AWD!). At the time, they expected it to arrive in late June, but things have apparently run ahead of schedule.

It also sounds like you're having the "big purchase nervousness" that I'm having too. There are a couple things about the car that worry me (visibility, mediocre gas mileage), but then I remember all the cool things about the car that made me like it in the first place. Keep in mind that there's no such thing as the perfect car, and that every car will have some qualities that we don't like. I think the OBS is a fine selection :)

I suggest that you give your dealer a call ... I called my dealer about a week ago, and they told me this: A boat arrives in Boston full of Subarus sometime between June 8-15 (and since my car is in already, it must have been more towards the 8th. Also, "boat" doesn't seem like the right word for something carrying a couple thousand cars..). Depending on where your dealer's cars are on that giant boat, and depending on how far you are from Boston, they can predict about how long it will take for the car to get here. At the time, she didn't know whether or not the boat had arrived yet, but once it did, she could give me a better estimate.

I don't know if the Boston boat serves the whole country or just the east coast or something, but your delear may be able to give you similar information to give you some idea of when it'll arrive.

One more trick (sorry this post is getting so long). Find your dealer's web page from Subaru.com, and the "New Cars" link will let you check the dealer's inventory. The other day, I saw that my dealer had logged the arrival of a couple new Imprezas, so I got the feeling that my car would be there soon too (and they called me the next day too tell me it was here).

Anyway, good luck :)
    did you say the OBS has poor visibilty?

Leo
    I wouldn't say it has bad visibility, but it's more difficult to check the blind spot of the OBS than with my current (soon to be previous) vehicle. The location of the B and C bars (I think that's what they're called), together with the fact that there is only a small field of view between the headrest and the A bar (again, I hope I'm getting these right) makes it tricky to check the blind spot.

Another factor is the how tall you are and the position of the driver's seat. Again, I didn't think it was bad enough to avoid buying the car, but it's something to think about.
    D'oh! I ordered 4/28 and I live in NY so I would think that my car is on that shipment too.

I don't have any regrets about getting the Sube, I wanted an AWD hatchback and I didn't want to spend more than 20K. I only had doubts about splurging for the WRX, but it really was out of my price range. I am sure that I will be happy with the OBS, it is a step or two up from what I have been driving.

Anyway, I can't wait for us to compare notes =)
    Hey, Ramon! thought you had fallen off the face of the earth (or driven off the face of the earth), how long did you go without driving your car? Bet you were itching to get back, eh? Was it pretty hot in Malaysia? Now when are you doing your next race?

Brekke: Don't get the jitters. This car is absolute heaven.

Gas mileage? If it's really critical, get a Geo or an Echo. But betcha won't feel as safe in those cars OR have as much of a smile on your face when you drive!! I have trouble getting more than 20 mpg in town with mine, but of course, the A/C runs full tilt all the time.

Poor visibility: With the headrests in the back, I think it contributes to the visibility problem. I removed the center backseat headrest and brought it in the house. Makes it much easier. Now, if you never have anyone ride in the back, you could take off all the back headrests and keep them either in the back of your car or in your house. The Volvo wagon I drove before I got a Subaru was an 84 and like a tank, huge visibility all around. But I'm used to this car now and use my mirrors alot. To see out to the left side lean over and use your rearview mirrow to look out and help check your left side where it's hard to see. You'll adapt.
    hi all,
    there was no way I could've chased those super AWD cars down especially on my friend's crappy corolla.
    celeste : i won't be racing anytime soon I'm afraid. I have some priorities to set straight. i really didn't miss my scooby until I came back. I was just so busy back in Malaysia catching up with my relatives and friends.... anyhow I am still bushed. Sadly I have to go back to work tomorrow.
    With my 97 OBS and my wife's 99 OB, I can adjust the side view mirrors and completely eliminate any blind spots. I don't even need to look over my left shoulder, but I do out of habit.

Try playing with the mirrors and you can find the perfect spot. Mine are adjusted so that if I can't see a car in my side-view mirror, I can already see it in my peripheral vision.

Dennis
    I'm debating between this and the Forester. The Forester might be out my budget but I'm going to see if I can wait until the redesign Forester before making my decision.

I was surprise that the cargo cu/ft wasn't that much smaller for the OBS. IT must be surprising large inside!!!

Leo
    Excellent link, Dave!
    "No matter what kind of vehicle you drive, you can virtually eliminate blind spots by learning a few new mirror tricks. "
    Dennis
    I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff I can squeeze into my OBS. Especially when I fold the seats down and need to go to Home Depot or the recycling center (shrubs, branches, leaves, clippings, or bottles, cans, etc.).

When I go on trips, I use a Kanga Typhoon.

http://www.kangaco.com/typhoon.html

Two adults, two kids, cargo area filled (cargo cover closed) as well as the Kanga stuffed to capacity.

I chose the Kanga because at the time, there were no covered car carriers that would work on the OBS' funky roof racks. Their 8 cu. ft. Typhoon model was modified specificially to fit between the OBS' racks.

You can probably count on the re-designed Forester to come with a re-designed price tag as well. It won't be out until Sep. 02 though.

Dennis

• mmathur1mmathur1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am considering purchasing the new 2002 impreza outback sport and would love to know personal experiences with this car.

Also, I have a dealer quote for 20530.00 which includes automatic transmission, destination charge, security group as well as 6% michigan tax (state of residence). Does that seem reasonable?
    Also, anyone with experiences with dealers in saginaw, mi area?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Mala
    One of my local dealers advertises these prices (they have the one price for all policy) .. I used these prices to get a better price from a competing dealer.

Outback sport w/freight: $18029
    Automatic: $725
    Keyless entry: $114
    Security System: $150
    Total: $19018
    Add 6% tax: $20159

Sounds like you have a reasonable deal, but there might be more bargaining room. Make sure to get prices from competitors too.

I can't tell you about any personal experiences with the car, because I won't have it till tomorrow ;)

-Action
    Look back thru the replies here, Around the first week of May I posted some initial impressions about the 2002 which I bought then. Also you can try the Outback sport club: go to clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/subaruimprezaoutbacksport and this is only outback sports.

I had a 2000 OBS which I traded for this 2002. They really have refined the car and made many improvements. I'm quite impressed. Look back thru these responses, as I listed the improvements I noticed, which were many.

The price you were quoted would not be bad for Florida, as we don't get great deals here, because Subarus are not real popular like up north. However, you may bargain better in Michigan. Ask at the Outback Sport club at Yahoo which I listed above. You should get some replies on good dealers there. Good Luck!
    Dave, great link...I printed it out.

Dennis....re' redisgn Forester. If it gets a turbo that will eliminate it from consideration as I don't want to use premium gas. If they put a H6 in that will probably push the price up even further. I've test driven the Forester...it was nice! Haven't test driven the OBS. I wonder if there is some way to boost the suspension to give the groud clearance of the Forester??? Hmmm! Anyway thanks for the link to the Kango Typhoon. Do you know of anyone who makes a hard case cartop carrier to fit the OBS? Does Subaru offer one?

Leo
    I've only looked up the price of the OBS according to Edmund's TMV here in Pennsylvania a new OBS w/ automatic w/tax and title came to $20,330. Edmund's gave the TMV of OBS w/ auto. I added 6% Pennsylvania sales tax and estimate a 1% MSRP for title and registration to come up with my figure.

Leo
    If the Forester comes with a turbo or H6, they'll still offer the 2.5 NA engine like in the current OB's. Try to go on as many test drives as you can. My wife tested 3 Foresters and 3 OB's before choosing the OB. One big reason was the OB's rear leg room. I don't think there's much of a difference between the OBS and Forester though.

I believe Subaru's (Mont Blanc) hard car top carrier will fit the new OBS since the racks are different than previously. It's offered as an accessory on the WRX wagon but I'm not 100% sure about the OBS. You could probably find out from subaru.com

Dennis
    For me, after driving blocky Volvos all my life, the difference between the Forester and OBS was the sporty aspect. I just didn't want to have to drive something that looked and felt wagon-y. The Forester is a great car, though.
    celeste,

did you drive both the forester and the OBS? how did each drive?

Leo
    you mean Subaru will give us a choice in engines? That would be nice.

Leo
    now that the new OBS is bigger than the old design, I think the new OBS would have a larger interior space. I believe they both drive and handle similarly since they both share the same engines and are jacked up. However I bet the new OBS is prolly more refined. It's a tough call.
    According to what Brekke said about the Forester it has 32 cu ft seats up. The OBS has 27.9, seats up. However, with seats down the Forester has 58.5 (with moonroof) or 63.1 (without moonroof). The OBS has 61.6 with seats down. So if you get a Forester with a moonroof you'll have about 3 cu ft less rear space than the OBS with seats down. Pretty close.

Leomort: No I didn't drive the Forester, because as I said above, all my Volvo years had me wanting to de-wagon as much as possible. But it's a nice design and I haven't heard anything negative about it. Is there a Forester forum here at Edmunds? See if there is and ask there. If you go to the i-club I'm sure you could ask there also and I think they have a Forester forum.

So, Ramon, what mod are we looking at next? I'll tell ya, it's fun to floor this automatic and hear the intake roar when it shifts down. This 165 hp isn't too bad at all with the intake. By the way, are you using synthetic oil? Do you plan to switch to synthetic? How many miles you have on your car now??
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    in post# 733: The Forester w/moonroof is actually rated at a total interior capacity of 84.8 cu ft. The Forester w/o is 94.3 cu ft and the WRX/OBS/TS wagons are 90.4 cu ft. So, technically the Impreza sisters are roomier than the Foresters w/moonroofs. See, Ramon you were at least partially correct.

I posted some other dimension comparisons between the Forester w/moonroof vs the WRX/OBS/TS models over in the "Subaru, So Many Choices" topic in the Station Wagons site.

Stephen
    hey celeste,
    actually i am planning to reinstall my shocks and springs back to my car. then tires. But for some reason, I am not that keen on doing this. Sorta have some other priorities comin' up. ;)
    No i haven't put synthetics in yet. I only have about 6300km. I will wait till I reach 12,000km before switching to Mobil 1 synthetics. I did the same for my previous OBS.

As for the forester vs OBS, I'd go with the OBS if the space is not that big a requirement and height. Reason being because the new OBS is more refined and has more luxuries.... and prolly cheaper than a Forester S.
    Cheaper, yes!! They probably will keep the Forester more than the OBS. I think they want to price the line that way. We were up at the Subaru lot tonight just looking at what was there. Saw a lady picking up her 98 Outback from being serviced for its 60,000 mile checkup. It cost her $500. She asked them to fill the battery with water. They had not. She was livid! She drove probably 35 miles in to town to get ripped off! I told her to look in her yellow pages for a place that works on Japanese imports. Her oil changes have been $50.00 at the Subaru place. I had them done at a Japanese import place for $21.00. She had liked the service at her local Honda dealer when she had a Honda and I told her to ask if they'd change her oil. She had some gears turning in her head when she left there. I don't think she'll be back! Boy would they be mad if they knew I was having a little truthful chat with a customer in their lot!
    is the cargo area big enough to handle a package the size of a 27" TV still in its box? Reason for this question is I figure if the OBS can handle a package this size than it will handle all my hauling needs. Thanks.

Leo
    when I had my old OBS, it managed to swallow up a 21" or was it 27" TV.... box and all! That's with the seat down of course. Also managed to shove a bike inside too. Oh I miss that user friendly hatch. =(
    can you imagine me trying to get a 27" TV in its box inside my two door coupe Toyota Paseo??? Or the when I tried to transport a 10,000 BTU air conditioner?? Wife was giving me a few choice words for my stupidity of buying such a car. Of course, the Paseo was pre-Wife days too ;) !!!

Leo
  • mmathur1mmathur1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Scott,

Hope you received your new car and are enjoying it thoroughly !

Do you mind telling me which state you live in? The price of 18029 with freight seems excellent compared with what I have of 18415. I am wondering if I could get a quote from your dealer and use it to bargain a lower price on my subaru outback sport.

Thanks and have fun !
    Mala
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Resounding "yes" on the 27" TV question. I did exactly the same thing in my WRX wagon a couple of months ago. Took home a JVC 27" TV in its box. Had to fold the seat down because of the sloping tailgate but once I did, I had plenty of room for additional "things".

Stephen
    Well, I got my new 2002 Midnight Black Pearl OBS. Everything is as good or better than I hoped! It's much more fun to drive than my previous car ('93 Nissan Sentra). I don't have any more general things to say about it ... I knew I liked it when I test drove it and looked around at it, and I still do :) It's got nice punch, and it corners very very well (at least it seems that way to me). I've noticed some people glancing at the car (especially people in other Subarus) and that always feels nice ;) The paint is also cool ... for those of you that don't know, the black paint has some deep blue sparkly qualities to it. When the sun's shining, some of the car looks blueish, and some looks blackish.

Here are some comments on the features I chose:

Spoiler - looks great, seems heavy duty (although it's plastic)

Rubber floor mats - very thick, should be worth the money (the regular floor mats were also included)

Cargo net - just what you'd expect

Sound system (subwoofer/amp, premium speakers, tweeters) - Excellent! Much better than I expected, although I'm not a car audio professional. I think it sounds great and can go very loud (but in a pleasant way). The bass and highs are very well defined. It's my favorite part :) They also threw in the regular speakers (in a box) in case I need them.

Tailpipe cover - looks kinda cool :)

Armrest extension - nice feature, feels kinda cheap. Maybe I need to tighten it down or something... The lower compartment is stupidly shaped so that it only fits a couple CD cases. Thankfully I have a visor CD holder to use instead.

If anyone has more specific questions, I'll try to answer them. I also plan to take some hi-res pictures of the car. I'll post the URL here.

mmathur1: The dealer I quoted is Doyle Subaru in Rochester (actually Webster), NY. Another place to check prices is using Van Bortel Subaru's online pricing .. try http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com. That's where I bought my car, after forcing them to beat Doyle Subaru's price. Print that price out and tell your dealer to beat it, or you'll drive to Rochester to get your Subaru. Good luck!

• baliflybalifly Member Posts: 11
    Hi Celeste,
    Just got back from fishing trip, caught some trouts. Release most of them, kept two for dinner:))

I was able to test drive the 2001 OBS, very nice. Also rode an Xterra to a remote 4 wheel drive lake, very different. I like the idea of power outlet in the rear Model 2002, good for the air pump to inflate my float tube and or my Zodiac.
    Did not check if the 2001 has it too.
    Since I have so much gears, the Yakima basket would be great addition for cooler and Zodiac.

Have forgotten what the 2002 OBS looks like inside, especially the rear. What message number was it that had your pictures?

Regards,
    Balifly
    Balifly: The 2001 should have the power source in the back. The 2000 did. Here's the back end:

Here's the shape of the 2000/2001 back end:

• piyapiya Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, guess what? I just picked up my new 5-speed Outback Sport from the dealer!
    Just had to tell you all before I went out to enjoy it! I appreciate the information and advice from you all.

Thank you, Celeste, for your posting about the differences between the OBS and the TS wagon. I took the plunge and went for the OBS. She's a beauty (platinum silver) and drives like a dream. So far, I love everything about it - but then, I'm very, very biased right now :):)!! I'll write in more detail about my impressions in a few days.

Mala, I recommend that you check the web site Autobytel.com for your OBS. The local autobytel affiliate in my area (Ann Arbor - Detroit) called me up within a day of my placing a request through them. I told him what I wanted, test-drove the car, and in less than 3 days, I was the proud owner of my OBS - and it was all haggle-free. They typically charge you 3.5% over the invoice. Depending on the options you choose, your price can vary, but it still is a lot under the MSRP. Good luck!

Talk to you all later....
    See that pic of the back of the 2000? Tug at your heart strings a little? Funny isn't it, even though you really love the car you have you still hold a special place for your old car....
  • ames2ames2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for taking time to read to this. I'm new to this edmunds discussion group. One sentance about me - I'm a woman, living in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am in the market for a car.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1995 Impreza Outback Wagon (2.2 liter 4 cyl) which has been well maintained (except it needs new rotors and a new windsheild). Here's the question...

...it has 95,000 miles. I know that Subarus can drive a long, long way. Would you buy this car? (Incidentally, I wish I could buy new, but I don't have the $).

Thanks for your help,

Ames2

(Desperately seeking a great used car!)
    I'm new to Subarus (one year), but will try to tell what I know and maybe Ramon or Ateixera will come on and add their two cents--do they have service records that show if the regualar maintentance was done on the car? I have a 2002 OBS. There is a drive belt that needs to be replaced at around 100,000 miles. I believe it's a rather costly but very necessary item to take care of. See if you can find out if this was done yet and when and if it needs to be done for that year of OBS. Here's a few more places you can go for information: go to Yahoo, click on "clubs" and then type in "Outback Sport", it will take you to an Outback Sport club there. There are quite a few members there will all different years of OBS which should be helpful. Another thing to try is i-club.com which is an Impreza owner's club. Most memebers there have Rally Sports, but alot of the same stuff applies since they are of the Impreza line. Also quite a few OBS fans frequent that club. You may also want to ask at those clubs if anyone in the Cincinnati area can recommend a good reasonable mechanic that works on Subarus. Maybe you could pay someone to give it a once-over. If it has a clutch, check to see that it's not shot. Good luck, I hope everything works to your advantage!
    Amy,
    A used Outback Sport isn't that easy to find. People just don't want to part with them. The NY Times recently had a JD Power article showing the OBS as the number 3 best used subcompact.
    I've seen a couple of postings on the i-club (that Celeste mentioned) from people that are looking for them, but can't find them. Also, check Consumer Reports and you'll see that the Impreza has a good reliability record.

Yes, try to find out the cars maintenance record. You may be able to get it by calling 1800Subaru3 and giving them the VIN. You could also try carfax.com.

Good luck,
    Dennis
This discussion has been closed.