Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Carsteve, here on the east coast they're not coming down off MSRP on a new C70 either. You're right about the resale value. I'm a volvo technician, and at our dealership, we had 2 98 C70 hardtops sit on the lot until september 99. Just couldn't move them. The 98 convertibles were a disaster, and we ended up shipping several of them back to Jacksonville for volvo engineers to fix the tops on them. The 99's and 2000's haven't given much problems...yet. for those of you with a 2000 C70 (or any other 70 series) with the high pitch noise coming from the engine. This is coming from inside the timing cover. If your dealer tells you it's normal, they're lying. tell them to replace the piston cooling valve. there is a service bulletin out on it, but beware the part may still be on national backorder. It took us 4 months to get our first one. Hope this helps.

Scott
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    First of all, Volvo's Beige or Light Taupe would go best with Black to me. Everyone has a BMW coupe, be different (sounds like someones add campaign doesn't it?). Get the Volvo. However you must remember that neither of these cars are going to be anywhere near as cheap to run/maintain as your current car has been. You must remember that. I'm not really sure about the C70s resale yet, they are so rare. Normally I would be shouting BMW, BMW, but in you've brought up one of my favorite cars that is so under-appreciated in the sport-ute/lux-sedan crazy market. This time I have to vote for the VoVo. Red over tan, Black over Taupe or Red over Black will just stun you. Or you could the Black over Black thing like a lot of lux-car buyers do. They have a dark blue too, that goes good over that Taupe. I like Green, but Volvo's website is so jacked and I haven't seen any Green C70s on the road so a trip to a well stocked dealer is in order here. Good luck.

M
  • carstevecarsteve Member Posts: 4
    Yes, i forgot about the Nautic Blue. It is a beautiful color, especially with the beige interior. I have only seen one green one. I do see a lot of silver and white C70's in LA. The black and blues are rarer. I also like the moondust, but have also seen only one. It is real close to the silver color.

Volvoscott,
    Are there any other mechanical issues you can tell me about regarding the C70 coupe. I appreciate the info about the engine noise. I still really like the C70 coupe, but they don't seem to be dealing on them much.
    -carsteve
    carsteve,
    Aside from the normal 70 series problems, the C70's are bad about door lock motors going bad, and they are much more expensive to fix than the S/V 70's. And they sometimes have problems with the windows hitting the bottom of the door making a rather bad bump sound. If you're planning to buy one, go with a model year 99 or 2000. The 98's had way too many recalls and other stuff that was really annoying such as replacing the rear quarter windows. 99 brought volvo an all new computer system that is working out very well thus far, plus the 99 and 2000's have a 7500 mile service interval. Also I should mention that the 2000's also have a 5 speed auto instead of a 4 spd. it's holding up fine as well. Best of luck in your purchase, and if I can be of any help feel free to let me know.

Scott
  • carstevecarsteve Member Posts: 4
    volvoscott,
    I appreciate your insight. Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, the car is still a bit too pricey for my needs. Although I still love the car!
    -Steve
  • gomez7gomez7 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a C70 today and noticed a steering wheel shimmy. Salesman told me it's typical of front wheel drive convertibles. Anyone else notice the shimmy? Is it typical? I can't believe Volvo is unable to fix that problem.
  • kievkiev Member Posts: 1
    I own a nautica blue c70 with beige interior. It is a beautiful combination and Volvo's blue is unmatched.
    I completely agree with volvoscott on:

a) engine noise at high rpm
    b) bumping sound from the door window

I have already requested twice my dealership to take care of b) and they could not so far.

Also I had to do twice recently wheels balance. I do not know what is wrong. Dealership says it is typical for heavy 17' wheels that they get out of balance so easily. Anybody knows is it true? I do not believe it.

Also I am waiting for replacement of my wind shield due to upper rubber track layer defect.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, FWD cars do not shimmy by nature...this is just a smoke screen either for dealer laziness or an engineering problem with the car (wheels and/or tires probably, so not a huge deal to fix). If it persists, you may have to either petition the Volvo Zone Office to switch the wheels and tires or spring yourself for a set that are balanced and constructed correctly.
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    In December bought a C70 coupe with 17" wheels. It now had 5000 miles and have had no wheel shimmy (speeds up to 130) and the steering is rock solid. Have had NO problems, more questions like "Is that a Volvo" and you need to fine a good Volvo dealer that does not feed you a line of BS. Think my car is proof that the C70 is a fine machine and I drive it like a sporty car should be driven. In Daytona I have an excellent Volvo dealer and the car was deliver right.
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    Volvo is apparently coming out with a Volvo S60.
    The S60 is suppose to replace to S70.
    Get all the latest information at:

http://www.Volvospy.com
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm hiding the above post to a Volvo link because they throw up advertising windows...if you don't mind that, please enjoy, the site seems quite interesting.

Host
  • mlm3mlm3 Member Posts: 2
    Just an FYI so you can judge the deal your getting.
    Leased a loaded 2000 C70LT and love the car. Pricey, but room for four, looks, performance (or what you can expect from a Volvo), and the fact that it is a Volvo - we are happy so far.
    The price includes destination, full leather, Heated, cheaper wheel upg, traction, audio, trip, dim and walnut. MSRP is $49,325. Got the car in stock at a NY (Long Island) dealer for $45,210 which was $500 over cost + $300 advertising fees.
    There lease #'s were very poor. They had Volvo finance and Chase. The best they could do was 54% and 48% on a 36 or 48 month lease w/ a MF of 33.5
    Through advice I received on this site, I shopped around to other leasing agents and got AAA who uses PNC Bank for the lease. Their #'s were 56% and 51% on a 36 or 48 month w/ a MF of 32.5
    Surprisingly, CarOrder.com beat the price by a $100 and their lease #'s were slightly better. I didn't use them because I didn't know how long it was going to take them to find the car and where it was coming but it may have been a good alternative.
    Good luck
    Marin
  • msilagymsilagy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 C70 with only 15,000 miles on the odometer. While I love the many aspects of the car, I've been very disappointed by the quality of the ride and wheel shimmy as described in one of the messages above. My C70 came with the custom 17 inch wheels and high performance tires. The car rides very rough (reminds me of my brother's old Corvette. Change in tire pressure makes no difference. On uneven road surfaces, I find I have to hang on tight to the steering wheel as the car has a tendency to veer suddenly (i.e. pull away from me). I've also had repeated problems with rattles in the sunroof shade that only go away if I drive with it closed (dealer has tried to fix this several times, but is has never lasted). Finally, road/wind noise is excessive in a car of this price range.

To sum it, while the car looks great, the seats and terrific, and the sound system is spectacular, I don't think it is worth the price. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have gone with my other choice...BMW.
  • davec70davec70 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of a new C70 Convertible. Any suggestions for what I should do to keep the paint/leather/convert. top looking like new? Should I be treating these in any way, or just stop worrying?

Note: So far, I love this Car!

1> It sounds like the 2000 model year has fixed many of the earlier ('98) flaws.

2> I do think the concept of comparing a C70s with BMW 3 series is silly. One's a sporty luxury car (C70) the other is a sports coupe. If you want a sports coupe to zip around in get the BMW (preferably, the M3). The c70 is a car for cruising in comfort, without totally sacrificing performance...(the perfect convertible).
  • dolamitedolamite Member Posts: 8
    It has probably been a month since I last looked at a C70 on a dealership lot. I’m the type of buyer that visits after-hours or on Sundays to avoid the sales cronies. Earlier this afternoon I swung by a local dealership to take another look at the car. Once again, I find myself enamored by the exterior styling. It certainly looks as good as the new BMW 3-series, in my opinion. I was amazed to find the C70 coupe on the lot with unlocked doors. I opened it up and peered inside. By no means am I taken with the instrument cluster, but than again anything is an improvement from a Geo Prizm. The seats are unquestionably the most comfortable I have ever experienced. In college I valet parked cars and I sat in just about everything: Rolls, Bentley, MB, BMW, Lotus, Porsche, etc. I am also impressed by the amount of backseat room.

I have yet to see the new Acura CL on the road. Many people in my office are planning on buying this car, which makes the C70 more appealing...yet it is still hard to swallow the extra $8K. Knowing Acura, these cars will be all over the road in no time at all.

Are the obvious quirks about this car (steering shimmy, road noise, door bumping, etc) really annoying? At the moment I would say that I’m between the CL-S and C70LT coupe and any hands-on comparisons are certainly appreciated. I am willing to give up performance for the uniqueness factor, luxury, improved comfort, etc.
  • mwdroute66mwdroute66 Member Posts: 1
    I am knew to this site but would like to place my opinion about the C70. I own a 1998 C70 highpressure turbo HT. Disgust is the emotion which comes to mind. Overall it is the most remarkable car for its class however when a car that has a MSRP of $44,000 can not be sold for $28000 there arises disgust. Anyone attempting to purchase a new C70 do your self a favor LEASE!!!

The resale for these cars is awful. Case in point 1998 Silver/Grey 24,000 miles (my car) I have moved my price from $32000 down to my current price of $28000 and have not found a buyer????

Has anyone else had this problem? Trade-in is terrible. I have order something with a higher resale value to alleviate my current pain.
  • orlandoboyorlandoboy Member Posts: 1
    I think I'm the slowest person to buy a car and I do a lot of research.

In January, I bought a C70 convertible black with tan interior and roof. I LOVE IT! My last car was the Beamer 3 series and this one tops it. So far, my service issues have been minor
    - door to gas tank wouldn't shut
    - squeek in suspension (oops! dealership forgot to remove shipping blocks)
    - and scratch on fender (oops! dealership backed into another car)

The car's ride is superior to the beamer and the creature comforts it offers surpasses the beamer too. I had an offer on a Jag xj8 conv when someone mentioned the Volvo convertible. (I thought, yeah right! Im not a volvo type - you know, boxy but safe) When I saw and drove the car, I instantly knew this was the right car for me. The large interior, the easy roof.

Likes: heated seats! (in florida, who knew this would be great). body style, seat comfort, ergonomic design, the looks i get driving down the street, superb handling, size of the back seat, great pick up when taking off.

Dislikes: difficult to back up when the top is up

Hope this helps in making a decision
    In December I got my new C70LT,Red with optional 17" wheels (worth the extra). I now have 6,000 miles on car and not one problem. Think for the first two years they had time to work out the bugs. I know from having a 850, 850T and S70, that the power train and turbo are damn near bullit proof. I drove the BMW and the CLK, but for the money,driving a rare car with good power and comfort sold me. Drive all three and the Acura, you will see for yourself what I am talking about.
    Best of Luck. Tom
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    VovloScott:

Just have a quick question if you know of any more problems with the C70 HT aside from the possibility of the piston cooling valve and the possibility of Front Wheel Shimmy. I have ordered the C70 HT (wanted the 5spd Manual but the fiance dug in her nails and demanded the 4spd Auto, and the Moondust color instead of silver, and the tan interior instead of light grey... Jesus!!! At least I got my stereo) and it will be delivered in June or July. Trying to find any warning signs that I can so I can know what to expect should a problem arise.

Also, How long do I drive it before I can DRIVE IT? 1,000 miles??

Thanks,
  • richc70richc70 Member Posts: 6
    Volvoscott,

Best of luck with your impending marriage.

My 2000 c70 convertible was just delivered to me. All seems just perfect.

My question to you is that you mentioned earlier that the c70s had 5 spd autos for 2000 and in your last post you say that your fiance requested the 4 sp auto which you ordered. I checked under my hood but can't find any thing to indicate if I have a 4 or 5 spd. How can I tell which one I have?

Thanks,

richc70
    First of all, VolvoScott is not getting married!! Good try though. Rich, if you have a 2000 C70, you should have a 5 spd automatic. You can tell this by looking at the shifter console which should read PRND43L. Thus far it is holding up very well. However, it took us technicians awhile to get used to. Sure shifts differently than anything else I've ever driven. To Schuhc, you should be praising your fiance for making the changes she did. Have you ever attempted re-selling a 5 spd manual late model volvo? Also, the moondust is a beautiful color, definitely one of my favorites. You will be standing apart from the crowd. You probably won't have to deal with the piston cooling valve because Volvo updated the part and is now installing it in the new cars coming off the assembly line. Aside from wheel shimmy, no you shouldn't have any problems that aren't typical of an S/V 70. Make sure when either of you fill the gas tank on it to tighten the cap until it clicks or it will cause the Check Engine light to illuminate due to an evap leak. Keep in mind that most any low profile tire with 17" wheels will have balance problems. Rest assured you will absolutely love this car. Break in, I would give it around 8K-10K before I began to let it spread her wings. The service interval is 7500 miles on it. I would recommend you do an oil and filter change in between this interval. Turbos thrive on oil, and you will benefit in the long run if you do this. Hope this helps out. Best of luck!

Scott
    I know have a new c70 coupe. Have had "new" 850, 850t and s70, and would say after the first 1,000 take it easy and then let her rip. These engines are designed to run and not wait 6-7 kmiles to enjoy. I have 6,000 on my C70 and run like a dream. Have never had engine related problems to driving them all out. In fact last week on the way back (help pit for an Audi A4 in the Motorola cup)from Sebring, ran the car up to 130. In fact,you will find that people want to race you (must be the look)I was tried five times on my round trip from Ormond Beach. Most of the time I leave racing to the track and not on the streets, but sure is tempting. I have the 17" wheels with no balance problems.
    Enjoy driving
    Tom
    Scott,

Hey ... sorry about that marriage thing. I just got this 2000 C70 convertible auto LT Moondust, tan inside and top with all the works.(except 17" wheels I wanted a softer ride) It must have gone to my head.

My car was built mid February 2000 but I checked the shifter and it says PRD321. I guess I got last year's 4 speed trans. Is there any way I might still have the 5 speed auto?

Thanks.

Rich
    Scott:

Thanks for the information. If it's all the same to everyone, I don't think that I am going to let Lisa know that she made some wonderful choices on my...er... OUR car.
    One last question.
    Chances are I won't have over 5k on it by the time we are taking our drive from Illinois to Colorado in August. Am I doomed to below 60 the whole way there or am I allowed to go over, just not accelerate so fast?

Thanks
    Rich, I checked with one of these salesman at our dealership, and he said only a few of the early 2000's had the 4 spd. 2000's were being produced in June of 99. So, who knows whether ya do or not, if in doubt, count them as they go through the gears. schuhc, today I was rethinking what I posted before and I'm wondering what drugs I must've been on. The turbo itself will break in over about 5-10K miles, but that shouldn't hinder you from letting it pump. If the turbo's going to go, it will go within 1000 miles. It ain't gonna happen, they're too good! As far as the engine itself, it will take care of itself no matter how you drive it. The turbo's in these cars are dang good, I haven't had to replace one yet, only had to repair oil leaks on them, which is normal. As far as you driving on your trip,just drive it like anything else, and keep the sound system cranking! Sorry for the confusion. Scott
    I was going to start using Castrol Syntec 10-30 in my 2000 C70 at the 7,500 mile oil change. Do you think this is too soon? Should I wait till the 15,000 mile oil change? How about Castrol synthetic auto trans fluid? I was going to do that at 7,500 miles.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it since I want to keep this convertible for a long time.

Rich
    Scott:

May be a stupid question.
    How will I know if my Turbo is leaking oil? I imagine I will smell it burning. Is there a certain spot that I should look for leaking oil?
    As my last car was a '73 TR6, I am not sure where I would look for an oil leak because with those cars we would just pour a quart of oil over the engine every 500 miles or so.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I may be a little late in responding to this inquiry, but I test-drove the CL the same day I drove the C70 HT for the first time. There was absolutely no comparison in pick up or responsiveness. The CL was just another Honda. I love my C70, it's Venetian Red with grey interior ,and I get comments all the time from strangers about the car. This is a great car. I have had the door-lock motor replaced already (on warranty). Don't care about resale, cause I'm keeping this car!
    Schuhc,

You will quickly know an oil leak either by a technician telling you, or you will have a spot on your driveway. There are usually 2 places that the oil will leak from. 1 is the main inlet hose on the turbo itself. This is the one that is not always fixable. Usually, you can cut off about an inch of a bicycle intertube and stretch it over the turbo neck. Sometimes this will stop the leak totally. Others it will only slow it down, it's just a chance you take. The other place it's known to leak, is the turbo oil return line. This is easily fixed with a gasket and O-ring, and will likely need to be replaced under warranty. Not a big deal on either one though. And by the way, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Turbos are cool though, wonder if John Lingenfelter can make me one for my pickup?
  • winfredwinfred Member Posts: 11
    Just wonder did anyone can get a deal for 2000 LT C70 just 2% over the invoice price in California. I am living in Bay area now, and moving to LA soon, so where or which dealer can offer a better deal? or is 2% over invoice realilistic?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Just been catching up on C70 posts...

schuhc, from what I know about breakins, you shouldn't keep the car on the highway at a constant speed.

If the limit is 60, you should vary it from 55 to 65 i.e. don't use the cruise.
    Ivan: Thanks for the additional breakin informaiton. As we will be driving through Nebraska and Iowa I think I will vary the speed from 125 to 91 the way there.

Winfred:
    I believe the standard is 3% over invoice. I paid 39,200 for my HT and invoice was 37,785 with the options I added. I would shop around a bit because I think the convertibles are so hot they are looking to move LT coupes off of the lots.
    Winfred,

I ordered my C70 LT convertible,with everything extra except 17" wheels through Priceline. I paid $500 over invoice plus $50 fee to Priceline. I am very happy with my purchase.

Good luck.

Rich
    I have heard the same thing as rich is saying above. It is not uncommon for the onlines to be cheaper. Try autobytel as well. I would imagine that the Volvo dealers are much more prevalent in California. Unfortunately we only have 1 in Chicago and then 4 within 60 miles of the City.
  • thewelshman1thewelshman1 Member Posts: 1
    I swap my S40 for my C70 Thursday next. My used C70 has no autochanger, so I want to take out the autochanger from S40 and place in C70.

Has anyone done this, and if so, any pointers?

The S40 seems to have the changer unit and what looks like a trasformer next to it - do I need to take out both from old car? Is the second box a transformer even?

All help gratefully received, albeit about 5,000 miles from where everyone else seems to post from.

Thanks!
  • nevis418nevis418 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a convertible for the first time and have my choices down to the C70 and the Saab 9-3. I am leaning towards the C70 due to the styling and the comfortable ride. I felt that the seats were the most comfortable I have ever sat in.

I plan on keeping this car a long time so I am concerned about the reliability. My wife and I drove a used 1999 and felt that there was a lot of shaking noise from the door and the dash. I suspect that this is from not enough structural support causing the car to flex more than it should. I am also concerned about the seal of the convertible top after a few years. Saab definitely has more time on the road with the convertible, but my heart, and backside, keep pushing me to the Volvo.

I'd appreciate any comments from somebody who has driven the convertible for a year or so.
  • lweiss9069lweiss9069 Member Posts: 2
    i am shopping for convertibles. the c70 is my first choice. Is it worth 13000 more than the solara? Are people happy with the volvo?
  • lweiss9069lweiss9069 Member Posts: 2
    i need front wheel drive
    Why would you even consider paying an extra $13,000? My C70 is going to be delivered at the end of June, but I considered the amount that I wanted to spend and compared the CLK, S4, and C70. The Toyota is a whole different class.
    Biased opinion.
    Go for the Volvo.
  • brick4brick4 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know whether the 2001 c70 convertible will be offered with a manual transmission
  • c70galc70gal Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 C70 HT Coupe and I have had no problems with a shimmy in the steering. I have then 18" wheels and Pirelli's. I just turned over 10K. Of course I've blown out 4 of those Pirellis already, so they may not be staying on there long enough to get out of balance. Does anyone else out there have the optional 18" rims? These came on the car and are on the window sticker as an option. If anyone has a suggestion of a better low profile tire with sidewalls made out of steel let me know.
    This has been a common complaint amongst the salesmen at our dealership. They think the answer is to balance the tires. What we've finally concluded is that these cars are sitting for too long on the lot and are actually flat-spotting the tires. So many times we will have to put a new set of tires on a brand new car. Don't let a salesman tell you it's normal, because it's not! C70gal. Check to see what michelin has to offer. As a technician, I see the least problems out of their products, and I use them on my own cars and truck. Most of the tire problems come from Pirelli, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone. Hope this helps.

Brick4, regarding the 2001 C70. Is there even going to be such a thing? Volvo is supposed to discontinue the current 70 series, and replace it with the new V70, S60, and the rest is yet to be seen. Anyhow, the manual transmission is available in a 2000 model. Though rare, they do exist. We had one come across our lot and we couldn't give it away. Finally ended up dealer trading it to Virgina. Anyhow, keep my posted. Thanks.

Scott
    I really appreciate your helpful ideas and would like to have your opinion on two products from ipd. The first is a magnetic drain plug with a small removable magnet which is supposed to catch and hold metal particles. The only problem I see is that if I hit my palm hard enough with this plug in my other hand, the magnet falls out. Do you think my c70 Lt needs this and if it falls out in my oil sump will this damage anything. The second is an oil pan & transmission protector made of aluminum plate. ipd shows a cracked pan in its catalogue. Is this oil pan cracking from impact (stones,rocks etc.) a common occurance on Volvos? Is it some thing I should get?
    Thanks again.
    richc70
  • alvin0425alvin0425 Member Posts: 1
    i have 99 c70 w/ HT, it has problem of the ride and wheel shimmy as described in one ofthe messages above. does any one know what i could do to fix this annoying problem? ask dealer to adjust the shock absorber? they said they can't do much cause it is a sport car? i don't know if all the sport cars have the same problem. i personally don't believe so..or i should replace the tire from 17' to 18'? however i heard it could be worse if i do so. please reply me if u have the same problem as mine or u know how to fix it up!!! thanks a lot
    Have a 2000 c70 with 9,000 miles and the 17 inch wheels with Michlen Pilots. No wheel problems and because it's a sport car,still has no effect on wheel shimmy. On brickboard.com this subject has been brought up and have decided it's more likely your tires. Have the car check for alignment and make sure tires are not out of around. My car rides just like my S70 and 850 did, your car is a proven raod machine.
    Best of luck Tom
    Alvin, I'm almost going to guarantee your tires are flat-spotted, or out of round as Tom mentioned above. "adjusting the shock absorber" is not only impossible on the car, but would do absolutely nothing to correct your problem. See if your dealer is willing to work with you on getting new tires.
    RichC70, the magnetic drain plug is really a waste of money. If it did break loose, then yes it could damage parts internally. I've come across a few cars with these in them, and I immediately notice that the magnet is free of metal bits anyhow. Now, on the oil pan protector. Excellent investment. Volvo doesn't have a "problem" with this. The only problem is that people run over debris in the road. It happens. However, for $198 it's great insurance. A new oil pan is over $300. Already this year I've replaced 2 oil pans due to people running over debris on the road. Usually large rocks. If I owned a car of this caliber I'd have one on it. Hope this helps.

Scott
    Scott or Rich:

I would like to know what 'ipd' is so that I can look into that whole oil pan thing. As always, I am looking for anything that Scott brings up on this message board and if Scott things that this oil pan may be a good investment I think I should look into it. June 29 is the delivery date for Lisa's... er... OUR 4 speed auto/moondust C70.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #272:

Try www.ipdusa.com for Volvo aftermarket options.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
    schuhc,
    adding to rollie's post there. Go there and request a catalog. Their online stuff is a mere fraction of the products they offer. And their prices are much more friendly. Also be sure to check out the headlamp lens protectors. They are $58 a pair. They are also worth the money. I've replaced many headlamp assemblies where a small rock met it up close and personal.

Scott