Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Sport Wagons

123457»

Comments

• armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I just got back from my 4th visit to the dealer and they tell me my radio is playing to spec - it has lots of static on AM stations that other cars I have owned play perfectly - FM is OK but not really good. (My other current car is an '04 Acura TL and the radio is terrific!) The dealer tells me that the problem is with 325 wagons and that there is nothing else they can do. Does anyone out there have any related experiences or any advice?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Anyone that claims that they need AWD for rainy weather should, IMNSHO, do the rest of the motoring public a favor and use public transit.
  • johann8johann8 Member Posts: 4
    Have an old (99) 323i sedan and like it (but it is getting old) and a New Beetle......oh, and a 10 month old baby. Space is getting a bit tight in the 323 and the New Beetle is only for the solo parent running errands....too cramped a back seat to buckle/unbuckle a car seat. By the time you toss in a Mclaren stroller and a few bags of groceries etc, the thing is crammed and the back seat of the 323 is not that great either. I am 6'2.

Would the 325 xit wagon be an improvement over the 323 sedan? I am not prepared to go for an SUV or van yet........unless I hear that a wagon such as a 325 won't work.

The 5 wagon is sweet, but also comes at 50K+ price tag (too rich for my blood now).

Other ideas if the 3 wagon won't work?

Thanks,

Johann
  • parachuteparachute Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delayed response...but I just saw your Post today. I had to write BMW Corporate to get this information, because I couldn't find it either. Here is their response: "The approximate ground clearance on a 2005 325i with the Sport Package is 6.5 inches." Don't know if it would have been any different for the earlier model or "xi".

Speaking of ground clearance...have any 3-series wagon owners had issues/problems...with dirt roads, rutted roads, potholes, steep driveways, flooded streets, parking lot obstacles, etc.?

Thanks!
    No problem with road clearance on my '05 325xi wagon. Can't say the same for my '04 Acura TL.
  • parachuteparachute Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much, Armand.

Another question for all Bimmer owners. Just got Sapphire Black exterior. Am thinking about going for the $699 "Touch of Class" protection offered by the dealer. Is it as good as they say? Does it beat cheaper non-dealer competitors? Is it worth it? (I am not a waxer...so would love to get something to keep the exterior as nice as possible...for as long as possible.)
  • gilgormgilgorm Member Posts: 2
    I know your comment is an old post but I had this identical problem on my 2003 325iT. Dealership fixed it by swapping the third brake light in the spoiler. A defective ground/shield was interfering with the radio on AM band only. Perfect reception.
    My radio is still under "repair" by BMW. I will make your suggestion to them.

Thanks a lot!
    I got my wagon back with some mods that they made to the antenna and the AM reception is much improved. I'm not sure exactly what they did but the radio seems to be operating at a reasonable level. Westchester BMW worked hard at resolving the problem and I am appreciative.
  • bsloanebsloane Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking of trading my 2004 SAAB Arc wagon for the new BMW 3 wagon. Is the AWD drive any better in rain? I have no trouble w/SAAB. My dealer agrues that the $16M trade difference is made up by better resale at the end of 3 years. Any experience on that? Any problems w/2006 BMW Wagon? I know it drives much better that my SAAB, but is the resale that good?

Thanks

Burt
  • gilgormgilgorm Member Posts: 2
    The best way to figure out potential resale value is to ask the salesman (or internet sites) what the residual (as a percentage) will be on a three or four year lease. As you are no doubt aware the residual is what the dealership thinks the car will be worth in the future. I have found it to be a very good indicator of the true value. Even within BMW the residuals are different within the model lines. e.g. 2006 Wagon has a residual of 60% with less than 20000 km/yr after 36 months. The 325Xi sedan is worth 62% and a higher mileage lease has a residual of 58%. Saab should be able to give you a quote.
    Good luck.
    Gilgorm
  • bsloanebsloane Member Posts: 8
    Thank you; SAAB is 50% v BMW 60%. So I think I will go ahead and get the BMW in January.

Burt
  • guitarmakerguitarmaker Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone test driven both? Any insight?
  • womblewomble Member Posts: 28
    where are all the 3 series wagons??? no dealers currently have them in CA. What's the problem with availability and when will they be available? My v70 2.5t volvo wagon is in the last few months of its lease and the 3 wagon looks very attractive to me.. but smaller. Am I going to notice a big difference in terms of engine???
  • 0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    The A3 really is quite small. I used to have the previous version as a company car and it's a fun car to drive around in the city. I would more compare it to the Mini vs. shopping it against the 325 wagon... and I would definitely buy it over the Mini.

That said, the new A3 is a great car and I test drove one right when they came out. My issue with it is the front wheel drive and the price... it's terribly expensive for what it is.

The A3 feels faster than the wagon, but I personally find the wagon more satisfying to drive. We really are happy with our new wagon, although I would have preferred to get a 330 rwd model with sports package instead of the 325xi model. My only complaint is that the cargo area is a little small, but it's a great car. We did euro delivery, so I got it for a few thousand more than the A3 would have been.
  • 0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    I don't think BMW sells that many wagons, so most dealers won't stock them. Also, if they did have one, my guess is that it wouldn't be configured how you want it. Why don't you place a special order? I really liked how the new 325 sedan drove so I took a chance on getting one of the first wagons without driving it first. We ordered ours via euro delivery and had a pretty good experience.

We cross-shopped the xc70 and I personally like the size of the xc70 better, the engine and transmition are garbage (especially for the price). The cargo area is definitely smaller in the BMW, so you need to factor that in your buying choice. The 325 feels much faster and more responsive than the xc70 did, but you might find something like the v70R more satisfying.

We have been really happy with the 325 wagon so far... but there was a review on jalopnik.com that basically ripped the car so to each their own.
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    Comparing the Audi A3 3.2 to the 325ix, you are comparing a sports car with a little extra cargo space to a small sporty fast wagon (but still a wagon). These are two different personalities.

And it doesn't take long for the differences to come out. DSG with paddle shifting is standard on this Audi as is the firmer sports suspension (some would say too firm). Put the car into "S" as opposed to "D", and the car abandons any pretention that it is anything other than a sports car.

The A3 gets compared to small sporty wagons because there are no hatches in the US market that offer its combination of performance and refinement (and high cost). But this is no wagon (reviewers liken this A3 to the TT coupe, not the A4 Avant), and that can be good or bad depending on your needs/wants. There is a lot more than just size and cargo space that distinguishes these cars from each other.
  • danf19danf19 Member Posts: 1
    having the same problem - were you able to figure it out?
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    Womble,

The only place where I've found the 3 series wagon in the SFO Bay Area is Weatherford in Emeryville/Berkley. I drove a manual with premium but no sport package. There was also an auto there. Was expecting a firmer ride with better road feel. Guess I would have to get the sport package. The other places I've looked are in the north bay. What shocked me is one of the other dealers said 80-90% of the cars are leased?! Seems like most of the other used wagons I've come across were originally sold/leased on the east coast then shipped out here after the original lease. Not sure how large the market is for these. I can't find any other alternatives for this price and below when cross shopping.
  • abithaabitha Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is my first time I am buying/leasing a car. I am looking at 2004 325ci coupe. I came across a sublease for this car. Carfax history looks clean. I want to know if I have to have a mechanic or a BMW dealer inspect it before I sublease the car. The manufacturing warranty is still active. It will be great if I get good advice on this.

Thanks in advance
    Abitha
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Now that the E90 wagons are being sold here in North America as the 328i and 328xi, I'm thinking that the following title is a bit too long:

BMW 3-Series Wagons (323 iT, 325i, 325xi, 328i & 328xi)

How's about this instead:

BMW 3-Series Wagons E36 and later

Or simply this:

BMW 3-Series Wagons

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • badnewsbadnews Member Posts: 14
    3 Series Sport Wagons?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi shipo, I'm sorry I don't think I saw this post. :confuse:

I like badnews' suggestion, 3-Series Sport Wagons - what do you think?
    Since that is now BMWs official designation, who am I to argue? :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • badnewsbadnews Member Posts: 14
    Do I win a prize?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, you have won a free lifetime membership in CarSpace!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    that all we have to discuss here seems to be the name of the thread.

Does anyone know how the cargo-carrying capabilities of a 3-series sedan with fold-down seats compares to the sport wagon? Sometime in the next several months, I intend to find out, but thought I'd ask.

I think we've established that the printed material is in error regarding F/R weight distribution, but I'm not sure that's been verified.

Happy new year!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • darnacdarnac Member Posts: 31
    How about mentioning them putting in the new twin turbo six in the wagon?
    Because I don't care about the power and don't want to pay the cost (upfront & mpg).

What I do care about are the handling & other BMW features. As they know in Europe, BMW isn't all about power & 0-60 acceleration rates.

I realize that's a hard sell over here.
    Hey Gang,

Mrs. Shipo is leaning toward fetching a new 328xi Sport Wagon this summer via the European Delivery program. We're thinking an Arctic Metallic 328xi with a 6-Speed manual, Gray Leather, Walnut trim, Xenons, PP, SP, Heated Seats (hate headlight washers), Logic 7 audio, iPod, HD radio, and Park Distance Control (her current rear bumper is looking a bit ragged).

I'll keep y'all posted on how the ordering process moves along and how we like the car, both in Europe (where we're going to drive from Munich to Paris to Madrid and back to Munich), and here in New England.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Sounds nice!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I am interested in your review of the x-drive. I am sure you knew I'd ask sometime or another. I really appreciate your feedback and learned a lot from you already.

This past year was a weird season for snow/ice/rain and the traction advantage was very apparent to me. The trade offs were worth it from my point of view.

Regards,
    OW
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I was looking hard at a 328i Wagon automatic but ended up buying a Infiniti EX-35 this weekend. The 328i has a nicer looking shape, handled a bit better, gets a little better MPG on the highway, and has 10 CuFt more cargo space with the rear seats fold down. The downer was the significantly higher price, less features for the price, a limited slip differential isn't included in the higher price, bland interior, unintuitive i-drive, noticeably slower passing power (EX has 67 more HP), and run flats (craps). The local BMW dealer was really smug when I started talking about cost + pricing. Give them few months and the new economy will wake them up.
    ". . .unintuitive i-drive. . ."

If I'm not mistaken, i-drive is an option on the 328's, one I'd take a pass on, BTW.

". . .run flats (craps)."

Absolutely agree

"Give them few months and the new economy will wake them up."

On what planet? Certainly not this one. Hide and watch. BMW certainly doesn't have a corner on the market for arrogant dealers, but they do participate. The sheep line up day after day, so why not?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Disclaimer: I owned a 2006, 330i with ZSP, 6MT and a 2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Drove a 2007 328i last night. Sadly the car had the steptronic transmission and the premium package. Sitting in the front seat everything to fall to hand as it had in my 330i. With one glaring problem - no shifter. I put the car in drive and took off.

Wow, the car's butt drags off the line. It was like a giant sat in trunk and he was pressing down with all that gravity would give him. This sensation never left me during the entire drive. The engine felt under-powered for the car's heft. Sure it was silky smooth as BMW's inline sixes tend to be, but there was zero aggressive torque, just mild linear power.

I had 18s on my 330i; this car had 16s. The 16s absorb road irregularities much better than the 18s (prior to switching to normal tires). Bumps hit and disappeared. No sudden suspension jolts with the 16s.

Of course, the softer suspension also contributed to a mushy, less urgent ride. Wow, spooky how much the car understeers too. Corners and undulating hills passed with the front end plowing ahead. No fear though, as the car always felt squished to the ground, never in danger of rotating that seemingly heavy backend.

Rear visibility seemed rather dismal too compared to the sedan or even my wife's A3. It was night and the car was saddled with that lousy auto-dimming mirror so what's already a small portal out of the car, seemed even more muted. Why cars offer autodimming mirrors I'll never know. Regardless, from the front the view felt like my 06 330i; front seats on though I had a fun-house feeling about the car.

Nothing creaked or sounded untoward at any point but overall the car lacked any nimble-ness or urgency. I couldn't push it. The faster I went, the more I felt the engine was underpowered and the suspension unwilling to let me play hard. With time could it get better? Would I find the ability to rotate the car some for corners? It didn't happen during my 15 minute jaunt through the hills. Just a staid ride.

The car just felt blah. I didn't love my 330i but it certainly felt more responsive and alive than this car. What a difference a few more HP, 200 fewer lbs and ZSP can make.

I always assumed when my wife had a kid I could move to a 3 series wagon and it'd be good enough. That doesn't seem likely now. For less money I'm thinking a few other wagons might be available with more fun. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm destined to just stick with sedans...
This discussion has been closed.