Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Volvo
Please continue discussing the V70XC here.

Below is a link to the past discussion.

Volvo V70XC

Thanks!

KarenS
Wagons host

Comments

• bradjwbradjw Member Posts: 1
    I have had my new XC V70 for about 3 weeks now. It drives like a dream. I got it for $400 over invoice, which I thought was a pretty good deal. The only problem I have noticed is a terrible noise when the back window is rolled down. It's not as bad if the front window is open at the same time.
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    > "The only problem I have noticed is a terrible noise when the back window is rolled down. It's not as bad if the front window is open at the same time."

Many XC owners have reported a loud, pulsating thump at roughly 7 hertz when one or both rear windows are rolled down. This is the air rushing by the windows and setting up harmonic waves. Call it physics or call it a design defect, it generally stops if another window is cracked. Evidently, some other car and truck brands do this, too. Not a problem for me since I rarely drive around with only the rear windows open, but it seems to have really upset some people. A small plastic wind deflector might help.
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    My wife was driving on I93 today with her 1998 XC when suddenly the ABS light began to flash, then 30 seconds later the SRS light began to flash followed a short time later by the Check Engine light. Then all the gauges began to fluctuate, and the car lost all power. My wife was able to pull the car over onto the break-down lane, but was unable to get the car into neutral. After an hour and a half hour wait for Volvo On-call to pick up the car, it was brought to our dealer, Lovering Volvo in Concord, NH. We have been told that the alternator blew. I do not understand why there was no indication of a problem prior to the loss of all battery power. At no time did the battery light go on. Why would there not be some indication of a problem if the battery is delivering more amperage than it is receiving or if the alternator is not charging? I could get no satisfactory response from either the local dealer or from Volvo Customer Service. Am I expecting too much for there being some light or guage to warn of an imminent total electrical failure?
  • jgranjgran Member Posts: 9
    That's a scary story, especially since we bought our '98 XC for my wife and kids. We live in the Boston area as well.

We're happy with our Volvo, but I had to admit that the car is not as refined as the price tag suggests it would be. Your experience as well as some of my own confirm this. And the Volvo Service team is the worse bunch I've ever dealt with. I often feel like if I wanted to deal with this much hassel from a service department, I would've bought a Dodge or something. I hate to say this, but I don't think we'll be repeat buyers. The company has this attitude that keeps it far removed from the needs of the customer.

Too bad, the XC could easily be the best car on the road if they would just finish the job by adding little things like alternator blow out idiot lights and Service Departments that seem to care. I'd be pretty ripped if my wife and kids were out on I93 for an hour and a half!
  • stumeisterstumeister Member Posts: 10
    Driving back from Denver to Colo Spgs last night (saw Three Kings - Great movie BTW IMO) I had one of those moments of "XC love". 75 MPH at 2600rpm, plenty of power to spare if we needed to pass, engine a pleasing hum, seat heaters on, dual zone climate control set just right (I still had my coat on so I needed a cooler setting). Not worried about pending snow storm (it arrived this am) knowing we had the ever present AWD. Airbags and crumple zones if the worst should happen (ie deer).

It saddens me to read the tales of woe from unhappy XC owners (any Volvo owners for that matter). I wish VCNA and or their local dealers would take the time to make their customers happy and resolve any issues. Volvo is still sort of a boutique car dealer (ie compared to Ford or GM) and it shouldn't be that hard to take care of those unfortunate incidents where the customer isn't happy. One unhappy customer posting/communicating their frustration on Edmunds or Brickboard can "scare away" ten possible Volvo customers. Wake up VCNA!!! Take care of your customers; or someone else will!

Okay, Im done.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Well our experience has been just the opposite here in upstate NY. It is because of our dealer we just purchased our second Volvo (2000 V70XC). Our local dealership goes out of their way to make sure your happy. I know Volvo has a dealer ranking system and takes great interest in it's customers, try sending a letter to Volvo and tell them about your dealer problems and I would not be surprised if you start seeing an improvement.

Hope you see some difference, but for us we can't say enough about our dealer.
    Bob259: I agree, Volvo must have some type of Dealer Ranking system. Our dealer's service dept always mentions that VCNA may contact us, and if for any reason we cannot answer "excellent" to any of the questions, to plse let them know so they can make it right (and get an excellent).
  • medmdmdmedmdmd Member Posts: 41
    The 2000 XC is equipped with "high performance Michelin tires". What is the model of these?
  • eds2eds2 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I plan on buying a V70 XC sometinme between tomorrow and a year from now - barring any reason to do otherwise, probably in late spring, early summer.

Does anyone have any opinions as to when would be the best time to buy a 2000? When will the 2001s come out? Will it pay to go for a 2000 when the dealers are trying to clear space for the new model? Does Volvo offer any incentives on a regularly recurring basis?

Thanks much for any info.
  • pmoscatellipmoscatelli Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks. Well, I recently purchased a used 1998 and so far we really like it a lot. Safety, comfort and all. I bought the car through a private sale. It was a salvaged vehicle and it's not under warranty.

I have several questions I would like to post to the group and hope that I can get some questions answered.

The car has 22,000 miles

1. The rear brake pads a completely worn down. The fronts are about 50% worn. Usually the fronts go first because they take the brunt of stopping weight. Has anyone seen this or know about this? Manufacture defect?

2. I also had to replace the tires. They weren't completely useless, but with winter coming I wanted something more reliable. Again, kind of strange that the tires worn so quickly. Anyone have a similar situation?

3. What are folks getting for MPG? I'm getting like 24MPG highway and 19MPG city.

TIA for the responses,
    Peter (Boston Area)
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    At 31,000 miles my wife's XC suddenly developed a grinding noise in the front end when applyhing the brakes. This was after the car had sat unused for a week while we were on vacation. She called the dealer and was told it probably was some dirt in the brakes. The noise got rapidly worse and when the car was taken in, she was told that the front pads were worn out and the brake disks were damaged. There apparently is no built-in indicator build into the Volvo brake pads to give an audible warning when they are almost worn out. I was surprised that the pads went so early. The moral of this story is that, if you hear any strange noise when applying the brakes, see your dealer at once!
    Peter,

Your problems are certainly not unique and addressed in Part I of this conference (#466-468)as well as on Brickboard, the Volvo Club of North America's web based chat board. My '98 XC needed new brakes at 30K and I just replaced the tires with the OE Contis at 32K. I get about 22 MPG, mostly rural driving.

To my knowledge, Volvo does not consider these early brake pad requirements a "defect" but only one of the many quirks of owning such a "durable" car.

After needing two jumpstarts in today's cold weather, I think a new battery is next. This may still be under warranty but I haven't heard of this problem yet.

I get 22 MPG, mostly rural driving.
  • dlrowneydlrowney Member Posts: 1
    The Volvo XC (and other V70's) have electronic brake proportioning which distributes brake pressure depending on how much pressure is applied, and other variables. Most likely rear brakes get more pressure than most vehicles in routine stops. Probably this is why rear brakes are wearing faster than fronts.

The function of brake pads is to wear out! Mileage is NOT a good indicator of brake pad wear, so pad thickness should be checked on every tire rotation (5-8K miles). The pads are plainly visibile and it takes about 10 seconds per wheel.

Brake pad compound is complicated - I would guess that Volvo compounds are designed for very cold weather, and may be softer than those on many other makes.

Dave
  • baron11baron11 Member Posts: 1
    If I could offer some advice on Conti tires my response would be replace them with any other brand of tire you can find. I have purchased two brand new VW that came with OE Conti tires and was very dissappointed with both of them. My last experience was with a Passat, after 20k all four tires were starting to seperate on the inner sidewall bead. One actually blew out while cruising at around 70mph. Not good if you ask me. No wonder VW started using Goodyear as OE the next year.

My recommendation would fall towards Dunlop or Michelin. The V70XC SE I am looking at has the Michelin tires as an option. Go to tirerack.com and see the choices available.

Good Luck.
  • elkskielkski Member Posts: 1
    i only have 5k miles on my v70xc 2000. I get about 22 mph according to the trip meter.. will check actual after 10 k miles..I would expect to replace the brake pads sooner than my non volvo vehicles... this red brick stops on a dime!!!
    Well winter finally arrived here in the NE and I'm sad to say our new 2000 Volvo XC has taken all the fun out of winter driving. Gone are the slip sliding to work mornings and edge of your seat trips home. Now it's just sure footed and uneventful, except for the people who don't own a XC.

What a car....
    Well, after almost 3 years and 36,000 miles, our '98 XC finally produced the dreaded "Check Engine" light. I know several have run into this on their XC's. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Any suggestions or advice as to what the problem might be?

BTW, as stated in previous messages:
    - all brake pads were replaced at 30k
    - our original Conti-Touring tires are in very good shape (my wife drives the car, not me).

Thanks,

jgran
    Loose gas caps or overfill can cause it. In any event, the light can only be reset at the dealer.
    Thanks for the tip.

BTW, did I say 3 years? This car is not quite 2 years old yet. My wife really racks up the milage. About 20k/year!

jgran
    Thanks for the tip.

BTW, did I say 3 years? This car is not quite 2 years old yet. My wife really racks up the milage. About 20k/year!

jgran
  • jlfraschjlfrasch Member Posts: 2
    I'm also happy at 22K on my '99 x/c. One problem we ran into was that twice we've had a window control button which stopped working. The most recent was the control from the drivers door, to the back passenger window...it worked going down, but not going up....that's a bummer in NH! Has anyone else run into something like this?

Also, this message board seems to have died down since the x/c II file was formed. Is there another message board on some other web site with more participation?
  • hbreslauhbreslau Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? I believe that I have settled
    on a new 2000 XC and have done my homework. I
    just found out that there is a $1,500 incentive
    being offered. Volvo offered a $2,500 incentive on
    99's some time ago and I was hoping that someone
    might be able to confirm the current amount for me?
    It looks like there is a $300 holdback as well.
    Any feedback on the 2000 XC would be appreciated as
    well. I'm planning to try and buy tomorrow
    (1/29/00). Thank you!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jlfrasch,

interesting. The passenger window control button on the *drivers control panel* is dead on our '98 XC with 36k miles. Next trip to the dealer it will be fixed, but it seems like this is a weakness on the XC. The window can be operated using the passenger control panel.

I also have to have my drive train examined. When shifting into and out of overdrive the car makes a very low volume "boom" noise. I hope there's nothing wrong down there.

jgran
  • scott535isscott535is Member Posts: 1
    jgran,

Please share your findings about the "boom" in your drive train. I'm hesitant to buy my bother-in-law's otherwise fine '98 XC w/40+k after hearing him mention similar noise.

scott535is
  • oloboolobo Member Posts: 1
    This past weekend, my wife and I were looking at a '00 XC Wagon and while driving it, when we turned around to our left to see if there was anyone in our blind spot, there was zero visibility. The driver's headrest was so large, we could not see out the side window. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you.
  • juanelljuanell Member Posts: 1
    As a first time volvo owner, I am basically very satisfied with my selection. However, with just 3000 miles I have also begun having problems with clicking noises in the front passenger side of the window switch when starting the car. Dealer replaced switch but returned it with same noise on starting and now on turning the car off. Also, would like to hear of anyone elses experience especially in solution. thanks, memphis
    scott535is and all,

looks like the overdrive boom was solved rather easily, which is a great relief to me. The mechanic simply changed the transmission fluid and that seems to have solved the problem. I really leaned on the gas pedal when I picked up the XC, with effort I could replicate the problem, but in anything resembling normal driving the problem is pretty much gone.

I think that the transmission is not as "tight" as it should be when pushed. It is now obvious to me that the problem springs from a mechanism in the tranny logic that at times has trouble deciding which gear to use. When you push it (floor the gas pedal about half way) the xmission "hunts" for the proper gear. During this hunting time the engine is spinning faster, so when the tranny finally decides on a gear you hear the "boom" as the drive train is lurched into harmony with the engine. Of couse, the original problem I was experiencing is that this "hunting" effect was taking place during normal driving conditions and not when I was stressing the drive train. That is the problem that is now pretty much history.

In any case, the problem is solved to my satisfaction. I'd much rather they change the tranny fluid than change the tranny -- if you know what I mean. If they perform major surgery on the thing it would no-doubt perform worse than it did in the first place.

BTW, I read somewhere (owners manual?) that the tranny fluid is changed every 15K. The dealer told me that in reality they only change it every 60K. Interesting...

jgran
    OK, after driving the car for a couple of days, any traces of the X-mission problem are now gone. The drivetrain now performs just like new.

A word to the wise, FORCE your dealer to change your fluid at least every 30K miles (our problem showed up at around 34K).

jgran
    For the second time in 14 months, my front left turn signal bulb is out. Is there a TSB for 98 XC related to the turn signal base?
    We've had to replace our front right turn signal bulb already in our '98 XC. Something fishy is going on here I suspect.

jgran
  • fthngrgfthngrg Member Posts: 6
    I have had similar experience with turn signal bulbs.Have replaced several times but not just on one side. I turned off the daytime running lights on my 98, since I figured that's maybe the cause. I now carry two turn signal bulbs and a headlamp bulb in the glove compartment. Never had this sort of experience with my Toyotas. Plan to sell before expiration of warranty.
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    You are selling because of burnt out light bulbs? I am sure there must be other problems.

My 90 Toyota 4 Runner burnt out both front lights within the first six months. I concluded that it was probably the sub contractor that supplied Toyota with lights (Sylvania, probably low bid). I put in new ones (not Sylvania) and didn't have a problem for 4 more years.

So with Volvo, is the problem the bulbs (or supplier of the bulbs) or the electrics? I suspect the bulbs as I have no burnouts on my 99 (now 1 year old).

Steve
    Actually, Volvo did have a recall notice on '98 XC's concerning the headlights and turn signal electronics. When I took mine in for my 25K service, they performed the service and we've not had any problems since. The actual problem with the turn signal was not the short bulb life, but it was the differing frequency with which the right turn signal would work compared to the left turn signal. The right (on my car, left on others) signal would flash very fast, indicating something was awry.

jgran
  • rfindlingrfindling Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1999 V70 XC and have really enjoyed the car, but have had the following problems. Headlight went at 12K. Rear right hydraulic strut at 6K. Passenger rear window control failure to close from drivers console at 14K. Passenger front window control failure to close from drivers console at 17K. Drivers window failure to close at 17K. Oil drip from turbo 7K.

all have been repaired by dealer under warranty but we are beginning to wonder if the car is worth owning beyond the warranty period. I just hope brake pads and alternator aren't next. I wish Toyota hadn't topped making the AllTrac wagon. There is no comparison with repect to the level of comfort or drive but reliability counts and Volvo doesn't seem to have that figured out.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Stopped at my local Upstate NY Volvo guys (Bob259 are you in Syracuse?) anyway I have never driven a volvo or considered one. But I want to get away from SUV's and keep AWD and cargo room.

The XC is a dream to drive :D it was smooth no turbo lag nice ride over bumps and stops very well. The only problem I have is if you opt for the 4 cd in dash you lose the tape, and no wood trim on the center dash area (would look nicer). Otherwise they are sending me a brochure (they were out) and this very well may be my next SUV/SAV/AWD thingy car :D instead of a TLC.

Very nice car, very nice. And Joe Harrington @ Alan Beyer Volvo in Syracuse NY is new to sales (having worked in their service area for 12+ yrs) and was VERY knowledgeable about the car and quality and what is most likely to break down.

Check them out.
  • littleearlittleear Member Posts: 1
    Above two Volvo wagons, with similar prices, are in my consideration now. I would like to have your inputs before I make the decision (must be within next couple days).

I am in Canada, so the benefit of XC's AWD is obvious, and I also prefer a little bit extra power. But the 98 XC is 3-year-old with 33750 miles (though the previous owner took good care of it and told me he hadn't experienced any problem, save the headlight bulb burned out), while the 2000 model (a rental car) got only 10000 mils. Also the 5-sp auto on the 2000 car is a plus -- very smooth and makes the power output felt not bad at all.

One of my questions that I can't find answer from any other resources is: Does the side airbag on 98 models also protect driver/passenger's head? From the brochure of the 99 model, I can see it is. But not sure the 98 model.
  • mjacopettimjacopetti Member Posts: 1
    We currently own a 98 XC, a '00 A-4, and an '89 325 IX. All of which are all-wheel drive. We have also had numerous four wheel drives in the past. The XC is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned with respect to drivability on ice or in the snow. My wife and I often comment that it handles these conditions as if the roads are dry, yet other vehicles are all over the highway. (Yes, most of them 4 X 4's).
    My sister also has a '98 XC and her family has driven between IA to PA over Christmas the last three years, each time in various amounts of ice or snow and feel nothing can compare.
    There is a downside though, we have both experienced some of the nagging problems that liter these pages. Fortunately, our local dealers have been very good about correcting most of them and it has a 4-year warranty. Perhaps the '01 model will be better.
  • ray71ray71 Member Posts: 4
    I recently took my 2000 V70 AWD Cross Country in for its first service at 7500 miles. Cost=$187 dollars and I provided the Mobil 1 oil. When I took my 98 Suburban 2500 AWD in for its first service at 7500 miles the cost=$59 and I provided the oil. In both cases the service included the cost of tire rotation and the initial prices of the vehicles were within $1000. The hourly mechanic rate for my Volvo dealer is $82. Can you believe that rate for a tire rotation? Costco only charges $9 per tire for lifetime balances and rotation. I sent an e-mail to Volvo asking about the first service cost. It took two e-mails and a month before I received a reply. This is my third and last Volvo. I have been recommending Volvo to my friends since 1985. That will never happen again.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #39:

ray71, a more appropriate cause of action would be to not recommend your dealership! The price you paid for your 7,500 mile service undoubtedly includes many extras in addition to the minimal items specified by Volvo for your 7,500 mile service. It's quite common for dealerships of all makes to add items they feel are warranted (whether they are or not) which increase cost and is the reason why service prices vary so much from one dealership to another. You should call your dealership back and ask them for the list of just what they performed for 7,500 mile check vs. the list in your maintenance booklet.

For what it's worth, my Volvo maintenance costs have been about the same or less than cars like the Accord and Carry. If you check, you will find that Volvo's maintenance costs are lower than BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. While I wouldn't call them cheap I still don't think a decision to dump a Volvo based on scheduled maintenance costs can be readily rationalized based on costs of comparable premium cars.

Regarding your customer service experience with VCNA, there are no excuses there and VCNA's slow response times (if any) are well known. Out of curiosity, what did they say in their response?

Thanks.

-rod
    rdollie@home.com
  • ray71ray71 Member Posts: 4
    Rod the unauthorized extras were an unrequested gas additive and an unrequested oil additive. I use Mobil 1 and Mobil specifically recommends that no oil additives be used with this product.

As to Volvo's response--their representative said they had no control over the hourly rate charged by dealers.

As to comparable vehicles a friend who drives a $150,000 Ferrari said he payed less for his first oil change than I did. My Suburban costs slightly more than my Volvo Cross Country and its service costs are 1/3 that of the Volvo.

Just for further comparison today I contacted Volvo relative to obtaining workshop manuals for the 2000 Volvo Cross Country. In the past, my last two Volvo, an order form for shop manuals came with the vehicles at the time of purchase. Not this time and now I know why! The full set of manuals for the 2000 Volvo Cross Country can be had only electronically and for the miserly sum of $1700.00--yes the decimal point is in the correct position. Shop manuals for the Suburban are less that $200. It is one thing to pay for quality--it is another to be ripped off. The Volvo shop manual section covering the suspension and brake systems is $400.00.

I will not sell this Volvo till it starts giving me problems but I believe one should consider total ownership costs when buying a vehicle. I "assumed" the costs of maintenance would be similar to my 93 and 85 wagons which had been comparable to my Toyota's. My assumption made a "donkey" of me. I hope my messages to the list will allow others to fully and accurately evaluate the costs of owning a Volvo.
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • pickybuyer1pickybuyer1 Member Posts: 3
    I've spent months comparing the Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, and Subaru. None of them put it all together like Volvo did with the XC. The Mercedes was stark and disappointing (and the sales rep was snotty), the ride not much better than my Grand Cherokee LTD and with less performance. The Lexus is a very unattractive and feminine looking car and I could not bring myself to be seen in one. Same with the Acura which is just another SUV. The 6 Cylinder Subaru is a dog off the line and my 6 foot frame felt crammed into the seat (which is really small). Something about having the top of my head rub the headliner that is not appealing. The car does move once you get the rpm's up. If I had felt comfortable in this car I probably would have bought it. The extra money I spent on the Volvo is worth it to me for the increase in comfort.

A local dealer Volvo gave me a new XC off the lot for an overnight test drive, had less than 20 miles on it. I took it back to them with almost 200. Since I spend a lot of time in a car I wanted to see how it felt after a few hours behind the wheel. What a ride!!! And those seats are so incredible. It was snowing and icy and I couldn't resist the big open parking lot near my home, try as I might to get the thing to spin out, it just wouldn't. I took it up a mountain pass and the motor didn't even feel like it was working hard. My Jeep would have been downshifting frequently to maintain the 75mph, not the Volvo.

So it's taken me almost 4 months and a lot of soul searching trying to decide if I really wanted to spend 40K on a car, but I pick up my new XC this Saturday for $800 over invoice.
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    I am looking for some advice from current V70 AC owners.

I am considering replacing my current UV (when the time comes) with a Volvo V70 C.
    Unlike most suburban UV owners I do actually make use of some of my Isuzu
    Troopers talents. In the summer I tow a 2500 lfs boat and trailer, and in the winter I take
    it up in the snow where the four wheel drive is an asset.

I would really like to replace the "truck" with a sport wagon, but it has to be strong enough
    to do what my Isuzu does routinely. Wouldn't mind something that handles better, rides
    nicer, looks better, and gets 20 mpg! All of which the Volvo should do.

So the Volvo seems to provide me with the room and carrying capacity I need. It also has the
    four wheel drive. My question is does anyone tow a trailer with theirs? Is this a fantasy or a
    reality? On Volvo's website they did note a 3300 lbs towing capacity and show a optional
    tow hitch. The dealer I went to today did not even know what the towing capacity of the
    vehicle was and quoted me something closer to 4500 lbs. OOPS!

Also of interest, I have to admit, is quality/reliability concerns. I had really positive impressions
    of Volvo, but quite frankly, the feeling here on Edmunds is pretty anti-Volvo. Mostly complaints
    about quality and reliability. My Isuzu Trooper has 85k PERFECT miles on it. Nothing has
    broken, I did the rear brakes at 80k miles, and it weighs close to 5000 lbs! My other
    two cars are a BMW 318i and a Mazda Miata, again no real problems so far with either.
    So am I going to be alarmed at the dealer attention a Volvo apparently requires?

I really appreciate opinions! Any and all please fire away.

Thanks.
  • norge003norge003 Member Posts: 11
    Like pickybuyer1 in post #43 I spent a long time looking at different suv's/alternatives over the past 4 months and I finally decided on the XC. I've had it now for 5 days now and I am thoroughly impressed with the overall package. It rides like a luxury sedan,the brakes are unbelievable, the seats are without a doubt the most comfortable I have ever riden in and I must say that the styling blows me away. I find myself walking around the XC admiring it from every angle! Being in Michigan and of course being that it is the month of April, winter is officially over so I really don't have an opinion yet of how the XC drives in the snow so that will have to wait. The only negative thus far is that I have been averaging 14.5 mpg for around town driving. Admittedly, I haven't yet started to worry about that number as I haven't driven more than a couple of miles on the highway, so the jury is still out on that one(and I must add that I am NO lead foot either). There is a 'slight' lag off of the line when I depress the accelerator but it really doesn't bother me at all considering that the XC really gets up and goes after it.

I ended up with the Java/ taupe, dark brown interior, into package, cold weather and touring. Additionally, I got the windows tinted this morning and I feel that this already sleek vehicle appears MORE stealth. I also utilized my Father's z-plan through Ford so my price was 1% below dealer invoice....a pretty good deal in my opinion.

If I can answer any questions for anyone please let me know.......happy Volvo driving!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    We looked at an '01 XC yesterday. Overall, quite impressed with it, especially the versatility of the 40/20/40 rear seat. Even the styling seems "sleek", if that is possible in a wagon. Didn't even mind the cladding, except maybe the one on the nose. Some of the option pricing were a little high though, $300 for metallic paint? C'mon! Just a couple of questions for all you XC owners:
    1. The width is over 73". That's getting into SUV and van territory. Is the width a problem when it comes to city driving and parking (especially)?
    2. The standard keyless entry/alarm system: As far as I can determine, it has an auto-relock feature. Is it a full passive-arming system? Does it have audible arming/disarming indicators(ie. beeps, horn)? Hood & hatch protection as well? Does it only arm if all doors/hood/hatch are closed? The salesman said there is an LED but it only lights up at night. What's with that? So in daytime there is no indicator that the system is armed?
    Thanks for any info.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I guess only time will tell if the '01 XC turns out to be reliable and problem-free. But how about rattles and squeaks? Has anyone had a XC long enough to say whether this vehicle is prone to rattles and squeaks?
  • simplesimple Member Posts: 7
    My family has owned several Volvo wagons and I loved the 98 XC wagon but just can't bring myself to consider the new one. Although I don't mind the look of the V70, I find the XC to be an extrodinarily ugly car. I despise the cladding, particularly when it is a contrasting color to the paint.

We're getting ready to replace our '98 BMW 528 sedan (97K) with a wagon. Are there any XC owners out there who think (or thought) their cars are ugly but were able to overcome it? We're leaning toward an MB E320.
  • acghelloacghello Member Posts: 2
    Hi -

Seriously considering the XC but seriously concerned about mileage. Ratings are deplorable. (Not compared to an SUV, of course, but compared to a car - for instance, the V70.) What has been your actual experience in city and highway driving? This would be really helpful info. I like the XC for its high stance (minimizing override from the SUV collision, I hope) and the added traction of the AWD, but mostly I'm in reasonable weather. Little snow and normal rain. Thanks a lot.
    We have a 2000 Volvo XC with 12,200 miles on it. We were feeling a pulsation in the brake pedal so we took it to the dealer. At 12,200 miles we were told that ALL 4 rotors were warped and needed to be replaced. Even thought there was 70% left on the brake pads they suggested that they be replaced the same time as the rotors. Here's the interesting part the rotors are under warranty. We were also told Volvo make the rotors this way to avoid brake noise and it's not uncommon for any of their AWD vehicles to need rotors at 12K miles. We were also told that this happens to cars mostly driven in town and on hills, we have a small hill we descend by our house daily. To avoid this we should be putting the car in 2nd gear on hills to avoid heating up the brakes. Has anyone else been feed this line by their dealer?

I've owned many a vehicle including a 1999 V70 and never encountered this type of problem, or reply from a dealer. My theory is I normally rotate the tires myself and always torque the wheel nuts, this last time we had the dealer do it and shortly there after the problem started... I suspect the dealers mechanic tightened the lug nuts excessively with an air impact, thus warping the rotors.

The bad news is it's about $130.00 for the pads and she was told it would probably happen again in 12,000 miles.

Anyone else experience this problem?
  • pickybuyer1pickybuyer1 Member Posts: 3
    I've been driving my Polar Arctic AC, with after market window tinting, for 3 months. My average gas silage is right at 22mpg. Plenty of get and go for when you need it. No buyers remorse. None, dada, zip. The car is great. My only issue has been finicky remote entry devices, they finally swapped out the control module and now it's better than advertised.

The dealer has been INCREDIBLE. The BEST shopping/buying/servicing experience I have ever had. My hats off to Sill-Terhar Motors in Broom field, CO. I am disappointed with Volvo North America. They don't seem very interested in walking the talk, but that's a different story.

This car is a real eye catcher. I can't even count the number of people who have stopped me in a parking lot to ask about it, or have craned their necks around to get a better look as they pass me. Of course, not many people pass me :)
This discussion has been closed.