Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• irollitirollit Member Posts: 20
    We are looking at a list of XC from our broker. One is listed as "gold", another as "moonglow". I wonder if the gold is dark or light.

I have seen both moonglow and ash gold on the 2002's at the dealer. I liked both of them.

I also saw an older sedan in a darker gold that I did not care for.

Does Volvo offer 3 gold color choices for the 2001 and 2002 lines or is it just moonglow or ash gold?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Moondust(443) and Ash Gold (446) were the colors in 2001.
    Only Ash Gold was available in the Cross Country however.

Volvo has a full size entry, the XC90.
    The E class wagon sells in small numbers, the V70's outsell it easily already.
    Frankly, the regular wagon sales are in the tank.
    The Cross Country is Volvo's best selling wagon.
    Number 1 reason for purchase " It doesn't look like a wagon"
    BTW libertycat, this is not OPINION this is FACT.
    Fact born of 6 years selling and servicing Volvo customers of all stripes.
    Enthusiasm is commendable, enthusiasm without experience is folly.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    "Number 1 reason for purchase " It doesn't look like a wagon"
    BTW libertycat, this is not OPINION this is FACT."
    Actually, that is opinon. Don't tell me you went around surverying XC70 owners about why they bought their wagon. "regular wagon sales are in the tank" Not really, the Pontiac Vibe is outselling the Grand Am and I see Mazda Protege5s all over. Yes, these are compact wagons, but these strong sales prove "regular waogn sales are" not "in the tank".
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Cars such as the Vibe or Protege5 are not "regular wagons". They're more hybrids -- half wagon, half hatchback. They sell well because for some reason they've hit a nerve with the young buyers. I guess kids think it's "cool" to have a little added room and utility.

The XC70 is also a hybrid wagon -- part SUV, part wagon. And it too sells well because buyers think it's cool, not to mention a hell of a practical vehicle. Except its buyers are an older, more mature, more upscale crowd than the ones buying Protege5's and Vibes.
    Since I sell XC70's I'm well qualified to determine my customers buying motives, and most every time they go with the XC70 because it doesn't look like a wagon.
    I'm not making this up, its a fact.
    They will even pay more NOT to drive a wagon, since the V70 and V70 2.4T retail for LESS than the XC70 does.
    Also, if you were to look at Volvo's own sales stats, which I see every month you would see the gap between V70 sales and XC70 sales.
    XC70 is a WAGON as much as the XC90 is an SUV. The VIBE and PROTEGE5 are WAGONS. They both have five doors and the cargo capacity of a wagon. volvomax, I know the XC70 outsells the V70, but I have been asking you how you know this. The fact that you sell XC70s isn't enough. I actually believe you, but am just curious about how you would know this. Is it because your customers tell you they prefer the XC70 because it is a wagon but doesn't look it? I myself prefer the V70 because it doesn't have body cladding (which I dislike and I know many others love) and because I own one and because it is more affordable and because it also has AWD available.
    Did I miss something here? He told you. STATS, BABY, STATS. THEY DON'T LIE, AND THEY'RE NOT SOMEONE'S OPINION!!
    I have access to Volvo's sales figures, which sometimes get posted on other Volvo related sites.
    (Edmunds won't let me say which ones)
    Also, our own internal figures on what we stock and sell.
    liberty, in this case you are corrct in saying the XC70 is a wagon, in the most technical sense.
    The XC90 is technically a truck also.
    In reality, Volvo, and most of its customers prefer to look at the XC70 as something in-between
    It may be a thin distinction but an important one.
    When you look at the difference in sales between the XC70 and the V70, or more importantly the XC90 and the V70 it doesn't take a genius to figure out where the money is.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    As I mentioned in Post #413, we are getting ready to put new tires on our 2001 XC70.

Questions:

1) Are people generally happy with the Pirelli Scorpion OEM tire? Are they just putting on new ones at replacement times?

2) Car and Driver some time ago thought that the Yokohoma G039 were superior. Does anyone have any experience?

3) Should we just struggle on with the still good (at 41K) Pirelli Scorpions until late Nov and throw on some Blizzaks or Hakkkas? (Our Jeep Grand Cherokee with BF Goodrichs is significantly better in snow than the XC.)

Thanks
    We have a chance to purchase a 2001 XC with 54,380 miles. Is it a bad idea to buy one with so much mileage?

We know the warranty has expired. It is not from a dealer so there are no certified check ups. It will be purchased from an auction as a lease vehicle through our broker.

It will cost about $22,700 plus his commission.

Our 2001 V70 had only 20,000 miles on it when purchased. We paid $25,500 with commision 6 months ago.

This auction had only two XC 2001 vehicles listed. There were many 2000. We like the newer body style.

We can wait another month until the next auction to see if there is one with less mileage.It is hard to wait because I have to use a rental car to get to work.

Please advise.
    Wholesale book is $22,325 (Kelley)
    Call a Volvo dealer, give them the VIN.
    They can tell you where the car was sold, then you can call that dealer to check on maintenance records.
    If you buy it, do buy a warranty.
    Also, does it need tires, serving etc?
    60K service is coming up.
    Thank you for all your help. Our broker used the blue book to determine approximately the sale price at the auction.

You gave very good advice. We will follow up on it. I had no idea Volvo would assist if the car is not on their lot.
  • housebuilderhousebuilder Member Posts: 3
    Me and my "significant" other are pondering the question of adding another car to our garage...A 04 XC. As current owners of 03 LS430 and 03 530I, can we expect the same kind of reliability from the Volvo brand? and will resale be an issue 2 to 3 years from now?

We will be trading in our 02 LTD Toyota Sequioa, which has been great, but just a bit to "truckish" for us. The only thing we use this vehicle for is to transport our 2 Goldens back and forth from the adirondack mountains every weekend, so we feel the XC would be equally ready for duty.

Any input is appreciated.
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Your message on April 28th said you traded the Sequoia for a GX 470.
    Your July 7th message said you now owned an '03 Lexus LS430, the GX470 and a Honda EXV-6.
    Now you have added a Bimmer 530....and you still have the Sequoia (?)

How big is your bloody garage? Or are we missing something. If you can afford such a large chunk of change to flip cars like you appear to be doing, why are you at all worried about the Volvo resale value 3 years down the road?

Hope the car dealers you work with are sending you something other than just a card at Christmas.
  • jfanning1jfanning1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are considering purchasing a Cross Country. I would like to know the differences between each manufacturing year for the Cross Country. Can anyone provide these or know of a website which shows a comparison?

Thank you kindly
  • jfanning1jfanning1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are considering purchasing a Cross Country. I would like to know the differences between each manufacturing year for the Cross Country. Can anyone provide these or know of a website which shows a comparison?

Thank you kindly
  • doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    I current own 1998 XC and considering 2004 xc . can anyone give an opinion of handling on the highway begteen the old and new styling.I have alway felt the 98 floats to much on the highway.
    thanks
    Completely different car.
    04 is only slightly longer but also wider and taller. 4 more cu ft of cargo space.
    Side Curtain airbags, anti-whiplash seats, a much stronger body structure.
    Also rear ac vents, better drink holders and ergonomics.
    04 has a 208 hp I5 turbo vs the 98's 190 hp.
    2 more inches of ground clearance on the 04.

I think the 04 rides smoother than the 98, much better suspension and tire setup.
    The 04 can be taken off road easily and has a much better AWD system than the 98.
    It does roll a bit in the turns, if you want flat cornering look to the reg V70's.
    for the breakdown, it will be helpful.
    There is a tremendous amount of heat generated from the under carriage of our 2001 XC after a 20-30 mile drive. We had triple digit weather. The heat on my legs when getting out of the car was a lot hotter than the outside air.

Also, the engine is still hot to the touch after sitting for about 5 hours.

Is this normal? It is going in for warranty service on Monday so I want to know if I should alert them to this.

The AC sometimes comes on after the car is sitting for awhile. Again, is this normal?

Volvomax, your message that stated that the '04 ground clearance is 2" higher than the '98 makes me wonder if the '01 is the same or lower than the '04?

A litttle history:

We finally bought a 2001 XC to replace our 2001 V70 2.4 that was in an accident. I drove over a mini bolder on the road. I did not have enough time to repond as I had just driven over a hill before I hit it.

The higher ground clearance was a deciding factor in another Volvo. We are also putting an engine protection plate on it.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Irollit, you're not alone in wondering about this. After a short drive in mid-90 degree weather, the auxilliary fan will kick in for a few minutes after I park the car. As a result, I've developed the habit of raising the hood to let some of the air excape, running Mobil 1 synthetic, and trying to idle down a minute or two after a long hot drive to cool down the turbo. It would seem that these cars would be ripe for turbo coking problems.

But, having said all that, the temp needle stays right in the middle and the engine doesn't overheat.
    As long as the temp needle is in the middle range on the engine your fine.
    If you go on a long trip your going to want to let the car sit idling in park for a couple of minutes to let the turbo cool.

The a/c isn't whats coming on in your car.
    It the "afterblow" feature on the climate system.
    Basically the interior fans run for about 5 minutes to clear the a/c coils of water.
    Its supposed to prevent things from living and growing in your a/c unit and smelling up your car.

Ground clearance in the 2001-2004 XC's is the same.
    "Also, the engine is still hot to the touch after sitting for about 5 hours."

I don't have a Volvo, but that seems an awfully long time for the engine to stay hot.
  • volvolskivolvolski Member Posts: 1
    ...On your shinny new XC.
    1. press RESET button down and hold
    2. place key in ign and turn to "1" pos
    3. wait until "T1" resets to 0
    4. turn key to "2" pos
    5. wait for all mess lights to flash and go off
    6. release RESET button
    7. turn key back and remove from ign
    8. immediately replace key and start the XC

You owe me a beer!
  • ddan1ddan1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2004 V70XC with combination cloth/vinyl seats. I am wondering about the comfort of the vinyl during the summer months. Can anyone comment?
    has these combo seats....we never had any heat issues or comfort issues..the beige cloth does have a tendancy to stain and scotch guard helped
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Hello all,

My wife and I are considering a XC70 as a replacement for our minivan. While we would've liked an SUV (Lexus RX330 was our choice), we didn't like the rollover risk and fuel efficiency that went with that choice.

I bought my BMW 330i via the European Delivery program and saved some serious $$$$$. I noticed that Volvo has an Overseas Delivery Program, are their invoice prices posted anywhere on the internet? Can anyone recommend/not recommend Volvo's OSD program?

How is the XC70 vis-a-vis a mid-sized SUV in the areas of handling, interior room and fuel efficiency?

Thanks and sorry for the multitude of questions.
  • bonanza68rbonanza68r Member Posts: 2
    I did it this summer for my 2.5T V70. A great experience and good savings. You can find MY2004 price lists for all models at www.flyvolvo.vom. Also check the excellent xc70.com OSD forum. Tons of information and pictures.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    What has the reliability of the new XC70 been? I have a friend looking at the XC and the MDX... he's curious, as am I :)
    The XC would never win a reliability contest with an MDX. However, it would kill the MDX if the "cool" factor is thrown in :)
  • ext25ext25 Member Posts: 32
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosconsumer/0310/01/g03-273302.htm

Volvo wagon tops for family

XC70 occupants wrapped in safety
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Everyone - Here's a new discussion that some of you may find interesting: How do the V70 R and XC70 compare. If you have any insights to share on the subject, we look forward to seeing you there. Perhaps you can help gldport make up his mind. Thanks for your participation.

And let's get back to the subject of the Volvo V70 XC!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • robin3037robin3037 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 V70 XC stalls intermittently, making me rather nervous. So far it has happened in residential areas, but who's to say it wouldn't occur on the freeway... I've had it towed into the dealer twice. They say they can't figure it out as no error codes come up when it happens. So now I'm left with a car that is unsafe to drive and worthless to turn in. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • mohrmhmohrmh Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in having a hands-free cell phone kit, that accommodates a Nokia 5165, installed in an '04 XC70. The dealer wants about $900 for the work, which typically runs $250 in my area. Problem: I'm seeing virtually no Volvo wagons or XC's sporting cell antennas...figured I could ask someone where they got it done. The name brand installers have yet to convince me that they'll know what they're doing with this vehicle. Is the complexity of the car such that no one really wants to tackle the job? Suggestions welcomed.
    Re -drove xc70 and v70 FWD, dealer did not have a v70 AWD. Enjoyed the FWD but need AWD in VT. Anyone care to comment on ride quality of AWD vs. FWD vs XC ride?
    can someone comment on regular seats on a v70 vs. sport seats with the sports package and Titanium package
  • dbugbeedbugbee Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2002 xc70 and love it. At the time I was also considering a 2.5T AWD. I was actually leaning towards the 2.5T AWD, mainly because it had a smoother ride. But my wife liked the rugged looks of the xc70 better, so I gave in. I'm now used to the ride quality so it doesn't bother me at all.

I've heard the 2004 xc70s have a smoother ride than the 2002s, mainly because of new tires and some tweaks to the steering and chassis. So the ride quality differences between the 2004 xc70s and 2.5T AWDs is probably even less than it was two years ago.

I don't think there are many storms that the xc70 could get through that the 2.5T AWD couldn't. Thus, my advice is to just drive them back to back and go with your gut. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
  • keithwandkeithwand Member Posts: 23
    My wife got her second Lexus RX330 and I just picked up my XC70 yesterday. I test drove the XC90 and liked the XC70 a lot better and couldn't be any happier (so far). We need AWD in Bay Harbor, MI but did not want a truck like vehicle. Got black and taupe, with stability control, bi zenon and amalthea wheels. The interior is great and the vehicle is a great alternative to the Audi Allroad at about 8K less $$.
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    The XC70 has the ISOFIX system for child seats; however, what about the LATCH system? Does it have that as well? Can't seem to find any documentation of it..Can someone help?

Thanks in advance,

-nobee
  • gbolstergbolster Member Posts: 3
       I had a '97 850 wgn and loved it. Then, I went through a pre-child crisis, sold the volvo, and bought a E39 540. This is great drivers car but lacks practicality and the thought of repairs scare me as the millage adds up.
       I'm debating between a 2001 V70T/T5 and a 1999/2000 V70-XC (perhaps even a '01 XC). I'm tired of a payment and want something long term. Living in OR, AWD and ground clearence can be put to good use. Although, '01 V70's are beautiful and I can put up with a little torque steer if the car treats me well.
       Please offer all input concerning reliabilty, opperating costs, ect..

Thank you!
  • reed16reed16 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2001 xc70 that has had this slipping transmission problem for the past year. We have been to the dealership 8 times to be told they can't duplicate the problem when driving the car and there are no error codes stored in the car's computer. This has been extremely frustrating and the last time and I yelled quite a bit at the service people.

In addition, the last trip was at 30,000 miles when a low oil message came on the dash. They replaced oil seals finally after we had complained numerous times about oil leaks and the radiator after many "check coolant level" messages over the last 2 years. The tech also suggested replacing the brake booster, but the service manager refused the repair since they could not duplicate the sound we had been complaining about for the past 3 months.

In all, this car is a piece of junk! We will never buy another Volvo and only hope this one is safe enough for the remaining time of our lease.
    Go w/ the 01 XC70 if you can swing it.
    All in all its Volvos best wagon.
    Great AWD system, best ride for bad roads, looks good.
    Aside from the inevitable once in a blue moon bad car they have been reliable.
    If you can't go w/ the XC70 I'd still try to get an 01 or newer wagon.
    The current generation is a quantum leap over the 98-00 V70's.
  • gbolstergbolster Member Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your input. I know when I have a bad expirience I can get a little fired up and want to keep someone else from making the same "mistake". Thus, the ratio of good and bad comments my be a little towards the negative. Reading many of the comments on newer Volvos, I hope that's the case (Reed16, I don't mean to take away from your expirience as I appriciate your words of caution). As I examine and drive many different examples the '01 models seem to be greatly refined, I'm just a little weary of the first year of a redesign. Thanks again and I appriciate any further suggestions.
  • kgrrkgrr Member Posts: 1
    While driving down I-90 at 75 miles per hour, I had our 2001 Volvo V70XC stall. I was being followed by a truck pulling a double semi-trailer carrying a full load from the nearby port. Had it not been for the quick evasive maneuvers of the truck driver, I would surely have seen curtains - airbags or for real. Had road conditions been a bit different (rain, traffic...), I might not have been here to post about it.

I am beginning to question the "safety" sell of Volvo. If a car has reliability problems, then your safety is at risk too. I really don't want to waste my life in the waiting room at the Volvo dealership or have my family wait for me in the waiting room of hospital in trade for cool looks, luxury, or "safety".

Volvo Engineers - My car has been in and out of the shop about every few months due to one issue or another. (Dead battery at 1,500 miles, Main Computer dead - locked all windows and roof, countless number of bulbs - headlighs, taillights, blinkers, vanity lights.. More recently stalling "cured" by replacing another sensor and three more software downloads to the new computer) Perhaps my car was a lemon, but judging by the rest of the board, I would conclude that the tons of service calls can't be cheap. There are other cars out there that cost much less that are far more reliable. Why not do it the first time??

I have traded it for another, more reliable vehicle. What I have learned from this whole thing is that reliability and safety go hand in hand. I really can't afford another unreliable car. Needless to say, I am not buying another Volvo ever again. NEVER.
  • employees18employees18 Member Posts: 5
    We recently traded our 03 Toyota 4runner for xc. We decided to take the "hit", which was significant on traded so quickly, but like kgrr we experienced several issues with our toyota, who by the way is suppose to be the king of reliability.

Also, after owning many toyota's I can honestly say that the quality of toyota products has slipped. Anyways, we decided to go with the xc for many reasons...safety, price, style, AWD, and HIDS as an option. (our other car has hids and once you've had them you can't live without them). However, I am slightly concerned about the reliability of the Volvo. Can anyone else share any experience here on this issue?
    I've had my 2002 XC for two years now, and except for a couple of taillights that needed replacing, have had no problems whatsoever. I think the car is great.
  • skippy314skippy314 Member Posts: 1
    The car is driven by my wife and it has 55K miles. So far it has been a good car, but I have some questions regarding what sort of maintenance I should be doing on it: 1. It has always been a loud car (internal engine/road noise), but recently the noise has been getting louder...is this normal? 2. Do I need to get a tune up at this point? 3. What's the deal with the timing belt? Do I need to have it changed? 4. Car only gets 14-17 MPG (all local driving)...is this normal? 5. What additional preventative maintenance things should I make sure I have done to it at this point in its life?? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The owner's manual should specify what maintenance you should be doing. Have you looked there? I'm sure any Volvo retailer could also give you a maintenance schedule.

14-17 MPG sounds terrible. Doing about half city and half highway driving in my 2002 XC, I get around 24 MPG.
  • reed16reed16 Member Posts: 2
    I wish our '01 XC70 was not a maintenance nightmare because other than being in the shop at least once every other month I like the car.
    These vehicles however are too expensive to have so many problems. The reliability of our Volvo is questionable at best. The lack of support from our local Volvo dealership is very disappointing. Thank goodness for warranties.
    If you're planning to buy an 2001 XC70 I hope you have a good mechanic, an extra vehicle while yours is in the shop and some miles left on the warranty. I hope my experience is not the norm but that's it for me...no more Volvos.
This discussion has been closed.