Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• Currently listed under Incentives for the 2004 Volvo V70 R Wagon is a $4000 Factory-to-Dealer incentive. Am I right in assuming this means that if a Dealer sells this paricular vehicle, Volvo will pay/credit the Dealer in the amount of $4000?
    If so, is there a way to use this information to my advantage when haggling over pricing for this car?
    I own a 98 V70 T5, like it a lot, but really, REALLY like the new V70 R. Would it be reasonable to make this kind of an offer to a Dealer: "Tell you what, why don't we split the Factory-to-Dealer incentive and you apply my share to the purchase price of this new V70 R?"
    Crazy? Fair? Could use some feedback from you folks.
    Thanks very much!
    ScottM
    Salem, Oregon
  • Scott,

I'd go one better than your offer. Why not ask the dealer for the FULL $4K towards your new car.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but if you don't you'll never know!! Deduct the $4k from the price you have in your mind and negotiate up from there, if they're not willing to part with all of the $4k.

Let us know how you make out as we will be looking to get an '05 V50 (base) towards the end of this model year and right as the '06's come out.
    (Talk about knowing what you'll be doing in 12 months!!!)
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Chances are, if the dealer has the car you want in stock they will be willing to part with some or all of the incentive.
    The keyword is in stock.
    Most everyone is almost out of 04's at this point.
    V70R wagons were very rare to begin with.
    Good luck
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    I've been trying to ascertain how much ground clearance difference there is between the V70AWD and XC70.

The XC70's ground clearance was easy to locate: 208mm, but I can't seem to find the V70AWD's clearance anywhere!?!

if it is below 160mm, then I have to go with the XC (I live at the end of a bad dirt road).
    Well, don't know about mm, but the XC70 ground clearance is 8.5", V70 @ 5".
    Are the V70AWD's still being offered in Canada?
    Volvo dropped that model in the US for 2005.
  • jaa37jaa37 Posts: 67
    My mom's auto-dimming rearview mirror is awfully dim all the time, even during the daytime. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, besides taking it back to the dealer and asking them to look at it?
    Its a warranty item so I would have the dealer look at it.
    Thanks Volvomax. 5" is too low for me :(.

Don't know about the 05 MY, but they still have a few 04s left.
    The XC70 is much more desirable than the V70 AWD anyway.
    The extra ground clearance is a definite bonus.
    Good Luck
    The XC70 appeared to be a much more desirable car until I tried one. But I found that it handles more like a big American car. On the BMW-Buick handling scale, it is a lot closer to the Buick than it is to the BMW!

Even my Toyota Highlander is more directionally stable at highway speed and has less understeer and body roll than the XC70!

I was quite disapointed as I am used to Volvos feeling like they are "mounted on rails".
  • In 2000, we bought a new Volvo V70 GLT. I have never had a car with so many problems, both large and small. When we picked it up we noticed a crack in the molding around the interior door handle and a crack on a molding around the shifter. Less than 48 hrs. after we signed the papers my daughter shut the seatbeat in the door because it retracts so slowly and dented the door well. Little did we know the fun was just beginning.

As Gilda Radner's SNL character used to say, "It's always something." We have had to replace the entire headlight assembly just to replace a broken lens: cost, $1,000 for a piece of glass. The AC compressor has gone out. Brake rotors have had to be replaced. The check engine light comes on intermittently. Apparently, Volvo says, my catalytic converter is going out: cost, $1500.00. We have spent and spent on this thing. I won't need to buy a Christmas tree this year--I have all the lights I need right there on the message panel on my car! And because Volvo knows that boredom can strike at any time, the lights change daily. It is not as though we abuse this car or fail to maintain it. It is pristine, inside and out. It just is poor quality.

The real kicker is this: Volvo sent us a survey about 4 months ago. I pulled out my many service receipts and listed every problem we have had with this car, and although I wanted to curse and be very sarcastic, I refrained because I knew I needed to sound businesslike for my complaints to be taken seriously. Do you know that Volvo has not even contacted me after all this time? I took the survey seriously and really expected Volvo to take it seriously as well. Obviously, I wasted precious time.

Well, my "Check Engine" light was only on two hours today, so it's been a good day. Something else good happened today, too. I went to an Acura dealer and test drove a MDX. There is life after a Volvo. My Volvo's lack of quality has been a huge surprise and disappointment.

There--now I feel much better. Think twice, thrice...before you spend your hard-earned money for a Volvo. They are safe, but your wallet won't be!
  • Does anyone know if the rear side airbags in the Volvo XC70 will be harmful to my child who is still in a booster seat? I have heard that they are of the curtain type, and therefore not a danger, but I wanted to hear from all of you.
    They are curtain bags, if the child is properly restrained the child is unlikely to come into contact w/ the bag.
  • I own, and thoroughly enjoy, a 2001 V70XC. So far (only 38K) I have had no major problems with the car. One thing that annoys me, though, is the Service Reminder Light that comes on every 7K or so. Does anyone out there know how to either reset the thing, or, better still, turn it off entirely, without damaging anything else in the car's electronics? I have my car serviced at an independent garage, and the mechanic there tells me to take it back to the dealer when the light comes on. I service the car every 3K, more than Volvo recommends, and I resent having to pay the dealer $60 to turn off a renminder light I don't need or want.
  • Isn't there a small button on the dash that you can press to reset with the end of a ballpoint pen (similar to resetting the trip odometer)? Or did Volvo eliminate that in one of the V70 redesigns?
  • Thanks, Tom. If there is, I haven't been able to find it. The owner's manual simply tells you what it does - not a word about resetting it! Anone else know more about this?

RedwoodEd
  • mel6mel6 Posts: 1
    I have an '01 xc70 bought new with appr. 66k highway miles on it. last week I had the unhappy experience of spending 1650.00 for repairs for the following things: replaced the left, front axle as the outer cv boot had split and all the grease had leaked out; replaced the left inner tie rod and steering rod; replaced both upper spring seats; replaced a turbo o-ring and gasket.this car has had all scheduled maintence done and the mileage is mainly trips from Seattle to Portland, not exactly covered wagon trail. has anyone else had this kind of problem with a broken axle? Supposedly the other problems were not unusual for "high" mileage. These seem like excessive problems to me. Just wondering about others experiences with any of these items.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,900
    As for the axle: if the boot was cut and the grease was contaminated with debris, replacing the axle is your only option.
  • toddwtoddw Posts: 7
    Hello,

Apologies up front if there's already been a discussion on this and my searches haven't revealed it (I'll welcome a pointer, if there has been one).

We have a 19 yr old Saab and a 7 yr old VW Jetta, and we're thinking it's time to replace the Saab (sniff, sniff). We'll be moving around a couple of sub-5 year old kids and would like to take a step up in reliability, gas mileage and safety. The V70 (or perhaps the 850 GLT) seems like a good candidate.

We'd like to stay under (possibly well under) $10K and there seem to be some options for 1998-1999 V70s (or 1997 850s). I'm wondering a few things, though.

First, how significant have various improvements been between model years in the late '90s (focusing here on the GLT Turbo FWD or AWD models)? Is there little difference year-to-year, or was there a year when things got significantly better/worse feature/quality wise?

Second, is there a place where I can learn what the major service points are for these cars, in terms of years or mileage? In other words, at what year/mileage points should I expect to have to fork over a lot of money for a repair?

Many thanks,

Todd
    There were HUGE differences between the 850 and V70's.
    Go for the V70 if you can. Consumers Reports likes to dog the 98's but they were my fave's.
    Better steering and quicker acceleration.
    The 99-00's had more flaccid steering and were slower due to the electronic tranny's.
    Major service intervals were evey 30k mainly sparkplugs, timing belt every 90-100k.
  • My 2001 XC just dumped it second load of power steering fluid at 43,000 miles. Will I need to pay $50 again????
  • For what it's worth - I finally was able to find out how to reset the service reminder light - it's easy:
    1) Press and hold the odometer reset button
    2) Turn the ignition switch to the second position
    3) Continue holding the odometer reset button until the service reminder light blinks a couple of times.

It should then be reset.
  • I am a single mother interested in purchasing a 2004 Volvo V70 wagon. My number one concern is safety, but I am also dumping my 2000 Passat XLS due to excessive service issues too numerous to outline here. The guys in my office are telling me to forget about a wagon & to go with an Acura or an Infiniti because those cars have good crash test results and service records. Any off the cuff reactions out there? If you had it to do again would still buy the V70?
  • My wife and I decided to take the plunge and I am going to be ordering a 2005 V70 today or Monday. Grey Metallic paint, with the premium package and climate control (also adding booster seats and possibly 6 CD changer). Came down to this or the Passat TDI wagon, and I just felt for the money, and the very fair deal I believe they are giving us (Stadel Volvo, central PA), this was the best way to go (by far). Also, I liked the Subaru Leg/OB GT/XT, but the size difference was substantial.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences here with all and hopefully a long term relatinoship with Volvo!

George
  • larscalarsca Posts: 60
    Acura or Infiniti huh? Well, around where I live (SoCal) Infiniti seems to be the way to go since they offer free loaner while servicing your car, and Acura does not. Also, pricing out the Acura vs. Infinti it seems the latter is slightly better as far as keeping costs down (insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc.)

However, these are Honda and Nissan cars. Nissan/Infiniti does NOT hold an especially good reputation for safety. Their engines are great, but the rest... (My opinion of course.)

Honda/Acura has lately started to "sell" their cars using safety as a marketing tool, but they are YEARS behind Volvo or MB.

Volvo has a not all too good reputation for reliability. I don't know where it's coming from though. I'm from Sweden, and there we don't consider Volvos premium cars. They're just your average run of the mill kind of car, like a Dodge or Chevy. However, they are known for their reliability, so why things are different here I don't know. Personally I don't give much credit to it.

The V70 is, in my opinion, the best wagon out there. It's cavernous enough for most everything, comfortable, and nice looking. Anytime you buy a car, you may or may not get a Friday afternoon car no matter what brand it is.

I'd take another closer look at the V70 (test drives, that sort of thing) before making up my mind. And as you will find out, it's a huge difference between the V70 and the Passat.

Good luck. Buying a new car is never easy, and I don't know about you but I always end up with buyer's remorse for the first week of ownership.

Oh, one last thing. Take a look at what's on the road today. Do you see a lot of 10 year old Acuras or Infinitis? Or Volvos? Now, you have to take into consideration how many cars these manufacturers sold ten years ago too, but it seems there aren't that many Acuras or Infinitis around. Quite a few Volvos though. Of course, ten years is a long time and all manufacturers have gone through changes since, they have new models out and so forth, but still...
  • toddwtoddw Posts: 7
    Hello,

Test drove my first used XC70. Local dealer has a 2001 XC70 with about 53K miles, heated seats, sun-roof, leather, CD/cassette, good exterior and interior condition for $17,500. 3 month/3000 mi warranty. Doesn't have the second row child seats or rear-facing third row, but aside from that could be interesting.

BUT, when driving it, there was a very loud vibrating hum into the cabin. It varied with road speed, not engine speed. Sounded like those tires you hear on big, custom trucks, usually designed for 'off-road', but when you're driving on-road.

Didn't notice the tire types, but spoke with a different dealer later. He said that 'early' model XC70s were sold with a more off-road tire that was louder, and then they changed them with later models.

Could this be the cause of the noise? Has anyone else had this experience? How much quieter could I get this car to be? With which tires? Or, what else could this be?

Thanks!

Todd
  • aegaeg Posts: 23
    I have a 2001 x-country with 67,000 miles. The original tires were Pirelli Scorpion's. I replaced them after 35,000 miles. They were quite noisey and could account for the noise you described. However, they were pretty much down to the end of their usable life. It is possible that the same scorpion's were put on the car when they wore out I don't think those tires could last that long.
    Otherwise it is a great car. No problems to speak of. Steering is a little imprecise but I am used to it. I am now looking to get another volvo and keep the x-country. Hard pressed to find another volvo I am interested in.Good luck.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    My parents have decided to take the plunge and purchase a great used '01 V70 2.4 (base). This one is a one-owner car, automatic, most options, with only 47k miles. Is this a good buy for them? (It's being offered for $19.5k)

Also, since you know so much about safety, what is your take on the new-generation Dodge Ram pickups? ('02-present) My neighbor just got one and he claims that it has good safety ratings.
    The V70 is being offered @ retail book.
    Is it Volvo Certified?
    If it is its probably a decent deal.
    If not, you probably have some room to negotiate.
    Low mile Volvo wagons don't come cheap.

DODGE??
    Please.
    Any body on frame vehicle is going to be suspect in certain crashes. I'm sure the Dodge does fine in the Gov't tests, but in the IIHS or real life I don't think it does as well. The best big pickups from a safety standpoint are the Toyotas.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    To answer one of your questions yes the V70 is Volvo Certified. We've bought both our current Volvos this way and we think it's awesome.
This discussion has been closed.