Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    If its certified, its probably a decent deal.
    Especially if they had to buy the V70 off lease.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    A tad OT, but the new-design Dodge Ram got IIHS' highest rating in the 40mph offset (matching the Tundra) and the 5mph bumper tests.

kcram ;)
    Host - Wagons
  • Taking our '02 V70 in this week for 30K service. Any thoughts on OEM wiper blades vs anything new on the market. The original blades have been on since new and have performed well except for cold chatter. Can't complain about almost 3 years of service but am wondering if others have found something new and interesting. I'm sure Volvo replacements won't be cheap!
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    The Volvo XC70 can be found here:

Edmunds First Drive - Volvo XC70

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • I own two Volvos- a 2000 S80 and a 2001 VXC and both have had the power steering fluid leakage/clamp problem. Plus, just sitting in the dealer waiting room the other day, two customers who owned 2003 S60's were also waiting to have their power steering linkage lines and clamps replaced.
  • I am considering the purchase of a either a v70 or a v70xc.I know that they have their different characteristics about them,but I am wondering,how are they(the xcs and non-xcs)perform in all conditions?
  • Forgive the topic if it was covered here but I searched and didn't find anything -

We are shopping for another wagon and will be replacing our LR Disco II (hopefully). We have a Ford Freestyle on order and I know they share some bits and pieces.

Has anyone here cross shopped the two? Thoughts?

The Freestyle LTD seems to have a lot of the same things the Volvo does w/ a bit more room, better gas mileage and takes regular fuel.

Looking for some feedback before we make the final decision.

Thanks to all -

BTW- Have had several Volvos in the past. :) Many have said the Freestyle drives with the "feel" of the Volvo. We haven't driven the LTD yet (aren't any in stock) but did drive the SEL.
  • yminkcyminkc Posts: 2
    My wife and I have been driving a 2004 XC AWD while my 1991 940 GLE is being serviced. I have had it for two weeks and it runs great, however, I cannot afford a $41,000 car. I have run into some used 2001 XC AWD's around $15,000-$20,000. These cars are high mileage vehicles (80,000 to 98,000). I would like to know how has your XC handled over the years, what type of mechanical problems have you experienced, costs of these repairs, but most importantly, would you buy this vehicle again....and again this is for 2001 models only as I cannot afford anything newer. I prefer replies to my e-mail account if you don't mind, because I may not get around to looking at this site very often. Thanks. yminkc@hotmail.com
    The Freestyle uses much of the Volvo wagon blueprint, but without the Volvo materials.

This is crucial, because it means that the steel is different, as are the interior materials and the engine.

For someone who is shopping in the Honda, Ford, Chevy arena the Freestyle will probably do nicely.

For someone in the luxury market, not at all.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I prefer replies to my e-mail account ...

That defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information and exchange views - publicly. Stick around and enjoy the interaction! :-)

tidester, host
  • A quick look at the lot the other day and a lot of the pieces were identical. For instance, door handles - exact same. Were the Ford's used in Volvo to cut cost or Volvo's used in Ford's to make it better?

There were a lot of other things that seemed very much the same. Someone said the Freestyle is a stretched out/up version of the XC90.

3rd row space seemed smaller but hard to tell without testing it out.

I really like the way Volvo's "feel" on the road - don't know if the Freestyle will be the same.

I understand the term - luxury market but other than navigation what does the XC90 have you can't get it the Freestyle? Seems like it has it all - heated seats, leather, auto dim, compass, .....
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,966
    For instance, door handles - exact same. Were the Ford's used in Volvo to cut cost or Volvo's used in Ford's to make it better?

More than likely they used the Volvo door handle in the Ford to cut cost. The design work, drawings, specs are already done. The tooling already exists. All Ford had to do was cut a purchase order to whoever makes the part for more of them - possibly at a cheaper price. It could go even further. Perhaps that handle is an off the shelf part for the supplier that also sells it to Citroen, Seat and Vauxhall. Even deeper - in the auto industry today entire interiors are made by suppliers. Perhaps someone like Lear or Johnson Controls made the choice.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    For the record, the interior of a Freestyle Limited is quite luxurious, notwithstanding the usual Detroit plastic "wood." The ride is exceptional, if not overly peppy. Ford's biggest problem luxury-wise with the Limited is that little blue oval on the front.
    FOr the record.

The Freestyle has nothing to do w/ the XC90.

The Freestyle uses the Volvo P2 chassis blueprint(meaning design) like the XC90 does.

The big difference is that the Freestyle uses none of the expensive high strength steels that Volvo uses in their vehicles.

Ford uses their own engines,trannies and brakes.

The Haldex AWD system is shared.
  • Volvo Max -

So if I've had 240s, 740s, 940s & 850s - and am use to "Volvo" and all its charm then the Freestyle isn't a valid replacement for a seemingly almost the same vehicle?

I don't mean this with ill intent - I'm hoping to find something that will last a very long time and have had quite a few experiences that are making us gun shy this time around.

(Current auto - LR Disco II - enough said..) Also, all of our previous Volvos were purchased used and we have kept our local Volvo mechanics on payroll at times. (Yet, still drawn back to them? go figure?)

Everyone we know is trying to talk us in to the Honda Pilot or the Toyo Highlander. They don't really appeal to us. MDX ?? Dunno - now we are in the price range w/ the XC90 again.

And, part 2- if we went w/the XC90 will the smaller engine w/AWD be a disappointment?

Thanks!
  • Can anyone help me with an issue I have with the 3rd row seat in the v70/v70XC. I assume that there are strict safety tests that it goes through, but it just seems to me that it would be so risky putting kids in the back... there aren't airbags in the back are there? What if someone really rear-ended you??? It just doesn't seem safe to me... is it???
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Some people thinks it's an issue:

Consumer Reports

Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety

tidester, host
    Not an issue for Volvo.

The rear of a Volvo wagon doesn't have a crumple zone per se.

What happens is that the entire rear of the wagon folds down aft of the rear doors.

Car end up looking like a boomerang.

I have a pic of just such a wagon if you like.
    Again, let me be perfectly clear:

The Frestyle and the XC90 share absolutely no common components or structural integrity.

If the Ford salespeople are telling you otherwise they are lying.

A chassis design is just a pattern. What matters are the materials and the execution.

Its like saying that Shaquille O'Neal and I are the same because we share the same chassis design.

The Freestyle is a fine car no doubt, but it doesn't use Volvo's steel and reinforcements.

Ask the Ford people what the Freestyles roof crush limit is. The Volvo XC90's is 78,000 lbs.

As for the XC90. The 2.5T AWD is more than enough car for most people. If your other car is a Porsche than maybe not but otherwise you should be happy w/ the 2.5T.

If the XC90 isn't in your budget thats fine.

There are other choices out there.
  • OK I get it!

Other Volvo choices or plain other choices?

Just priced out one w/what we would want and the difference is about $10k. The problem with that is we really wanted new.

We have purchased many used Volvos and always seemed to inherit goblins.

What about certified?

Also, have read some reliability issues w/the earlier models.
  • Can someone comment on these seats. Are they as good as the purchased seats. What are the size limitations, etc. We have a 3yr old, 34lb, 38", and don't know if these seats would work for him.

Thanks for any comments.

Suze
  • We are considering these cars as well as a Freestyle and Odyssey. My husband has read somewhere that Volvo has the least satisfied consumers for delivered vehicles.

What are the likely problems we might encounter if we were to purchase the vehicle?

Also, does Volvo offer a DVD system for the rear passengers?

Thanks,

Suze
  • Don't have my book infront of me (to give you the specs), but these far exceed boosters that you would purchase separately. My 6 year old HATED his booster and it was a pain for us to get together too (not as bad as the car seat, but still aggravating). We have had the car 4 almost a month and I kid you not, he loves sitting in his. He likes how he is seated, and his view of everything. We don't have to deal with issues related to the seatbelt going over his chest incorrectly.

My wife pushed for getting them, and I have to admit it appears it has been well worth the $$.
  • Older models booster was 50 lb - not sure age/wght you need but I would check the requirements - they use to be posted on the seat of the older Wagons...
  • Purchased a V70. We briefly looked at the Freestyle, but to us wasn't in the same league. I actually wanted to look at the Odyssey and Quest, since we stepped down from Explorer and was concerned about size shock. My better half said no, she wasn't interested in driving around a minivan.

We "settled" on the V70 after looking at other wagons, and didn't look back.

I wrote my impressions of my experience a few posts back, so can't speak of others impressions of delivery experience, but I feel like we were treated first class. In full disclosure, a few days after owning, front passenger window wouldn't go down. Called the dealer, they handled it, gave us a new V50 (thought they would give me the V90 since I was a new customer!!) to drive around in and we picked it up that evening (software glitch apparently). Did it take away from my delivery experience, no. Am I concerned this may begin the flow of additional issues, not particularly. I have had minor issues with new car purchases before, and I am sure I will have again. This to me was a minor issue.

I HIGHLY recommend Volvo though, especially the V70/XC70.

George
  • Define "not in the same league" since the Freestyles has many of the features, and a few more, than the V70.
  • Defined by my wife as when she saw the Freestyle she felt it was not as sturdy and quality feel of a vehicle as the Volvo. I agree 100%. That is all.

I don't shop for a Hyundai and expect it to be a Honda either. I am not taking shots at the Freestyle as we thought about the 500/Freestyle too. This is coming from a former Taurus company car driver (by request) and EB Explorer owner. I happen to like Ford and will probably buy something like the Focus as my commuter vehicle when my Sonata dies. As we were looking for a near luxury to luxury vehicle, which we were, in our opinion overall the V70 was the best thing for us.

George
  • Thanks! I appreciate it. I have had many Volvos and would love to have another.

It just seems the Freestyle offers a good alternative for a lower price.

I keep remembering all the $$ I've poured in to the Volvos over the years and still love 'em.
  • spleenspleen Posts: 1
    When parking my 2002 V70 XC yesterday, the steering suddenly became heavy and would stick and then release as I turned the wheel. The engine had been running for 15 minutes and there were no problems on the highway. I checked the power steering fluid reservoir and added a small amount of fluid, but it did not fix the problem. Any ideas? The car is still under warranty, but the nearest dealer is about 1 and 1/2 hours away, so fixing it myself cheaply is preferred.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I'm thinkin' someone needs to switch to decaf...
This discussion has been closed.