Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    If its certified, its probably a decent deal.
    Especially if they had to buy the V70 off lease.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A tad OT, but the new-design Dodge Ram got IIHS' highest rating in the 40mph offset (matching the Tundra) and the 5mph bumper tests.

kcram ;)
    Host - Wagons
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Taking our '02 V70 in this week for 30K service. Any thoughts on OEM wiper blades vs anything new on the market. The original blades have been on since new and have performed well except for cold chatter. Can't complain about almost 3 years of service but am wondering if others have found something new and interesting. I'm sure Volvo replacements won't be cheap!
    The Volvo XC70 can be found here:

Edmunds First Drive - Volvo XC70

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • crosscwcrosscw Member Posts: 4
    I own two Volvos- a 2000 S80 and a 2001 VXC and both have had the power steering fluid leakage/clamp problem. Plus, just sitting in the dealer waiting room the other day, two customers who owned 2003 S60's were also waiting to have their power steering linkage lines and clamps replaced.
  • moondawg1moondawg1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a either a v70 or a v70xc.I know that they have their different characteristics about them,but I am wondering,how are they(the xcs and non-xcs)perform in all conditions?
  • anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    Forgive the topic if it was covered here but I searched and didn't find anything -

We are shopping for another wagon and will be replacing our LR Disco II (hopefully). We have a Ford Freestyle on order and I know they share some bits and pieces.

Has anyone here cross shopped the two? Thoughts?

The Freestyle LTD seems to have a lot of the same things the Volvo does w/ a bit more room, better gas mileage and takes regular fuel.

Looking for some feedback before we make the final decision.

Thanks to all -

BTW- Have had several Volvos in the past. :) Many have said the Freestyle drives with the "feel" of the Volvo. We haven't driven the LTD yet (aren't any in stock) but did drive the SEL.
  • yminkcyminkc Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have been driving a 2004 XC AWD while my 1991 940 GLE is being serviced. I have had it for two weeks and it runs great, however, I cannot afford a $41,000 car. I have run into some used 2001 XC AWD's around $15,000-$20,000. These cars are high mileage vehicles (80,000 to 98,000). I would like to know how has your XC handled over the years, what type of mechanical problems have you experienced, costs of these repairs, but most importantly, would you buy this vehicle again....and again this is for 2001 models only as I cannot afford anything newer. I prefer replies to my e-mail account if you don't mind, because I may not get around to looking at this site very often. Thanks. yminkc@hotmail.com
    The Freestyle uses much of the Volvo wagon blueprint, but without the Volvo materials.

This is crucial, because it means that the steel is different, as are the interior materials and the engine.

For someone who is shopping in the Honda, Ford, Chevy arena the Freestyle will probably do nicely.

For someone in the luxury market, not at all.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I prefer replies to my e-mail account ...

That defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information and exchange views - publicly. Stick around and enjoy the interaction! :-)

tidester, host
    A quick look at the lot the other day and a lot of the pieces were identical. For instance, door handles - exact same. Were the Ford's used in Volvo to cut cost or Volvo's used in Ford's to make it better?

There were a lot of other things that seemed very much the same. Someone said the Freestyle is a stretched out/up version of the XC90.

3rd row space seemed smaller but hard to tell without testing it out.

I really like the way Volvo's "feel" on the road - don't know if the Freestyle will be the same.

I understand the term - luxury market but other than navigation what does the XC90 have you can't get it the Freestyle? Seems like it has it all - heated seats, leather, auto dim, compass, .....
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For instance, door handles - exact same. Were the Ford's used in Volvo to cut cost or Volvo's used in Ford's to make it better?

More than likely they used the Volvo door handle in the Ford to cut cost. The design work, drawings, specs are already done. The tooling already exists. All Ford had to do was cut a purchase order to whoever makes the part for more of them - possibly at a cheaper price. It could go even further. Perhaps that handle is an off the shelf part for the supplier that also sells it to Citroen, Seat and Vauxhall. Even deeper - in the auto industry today entire interiors are made by suppliers. Perhaps someone like Lear or Johnson Controls made the choice.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    For the record, the interior of a Freestyle Limited is quite luxurious, notwithstanding the usual Detroit plastic "wood." The ride is exceptional, if not overly peppy. Ford's biggest problem luxury-wise with the Limited is that little blue oval on the front.
    FOr the record.

The Freestyle has nothing to do w/ the XC90.

The Freestyle uses the Volvo P2 chassis blueprint(meaning design) like the XC90 does.

The big difference is that the Freestyle uses none of the expensive high strength steels that Volvo uses in their vehicles.

Ford uses their own engines,trannies and brakes.

The Haldex AWD system is shared.
    Volvo Max -

So if I've had 240s, 740s, 940s & 850s - and am use to "Volvo" and all its charm then the Freestyle isn't a valid replacement for a seemingly almost the same vehicle?

I don't mean this with ill intent - I'm hoping to find something that will last a very long time and have had quite a few experiences that are making us gun shy this time around.

(Current auto - LR Disco II - enough said..) Also, all of our previous Volvos were purchased used and we have kept our local Volvo mechanics on payroll at times. (Yet, still drawn back to them? go figure?)

Everyone we know is trying to talk us in to the Honda Pilot or the Toyo Highlander. They don't really appeal to us. MDX ?? Dunno - now we are in the price range w/ the XC90 again.

And, part 2- if we went w/the XC90 will the smaller engine w/AWD be a disappointment?

Thanks!
  • rubycarrubycar Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me with an issue I have with the 3rd row seat in the v70/v70XC. I assume that there are strict safety tests that it goes through, but it just seems to me that it would be so risky putting kids in the back... there aren't airbags in the back are there? What if someone really rear-ended you??? It just doesn't seem safe to me... is it???
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some people thinks it's an issue:

Consumer Reports

Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety

tidester, host
    Not an issue for Volvo.

The rear of a Volvo wagon doesn't have a crumple zone per se.

What happens is that the entire rear of the wagon folds down aft of the rear doors.

Car end up looking like a boomerang.

I have a pic of just such a wagon if you like.
    Again, let me be perfectly clear:

The Frestyle and the XC90 share absolutely no common components or structural integrity.

If the Ford salespeople are telling you otherwise they are lying.

A chassis design is just a pattern. What matters are the materials and the execution.

Its like saying that Shaquille O'Neal and I are the same because we share the same chassis design.

The Freestyle is a fine car no doubt, but it doesn't use Volvo's steel and reinforcements.

Ask the Ford people what the Freestyles roof crush limit is. The Volvo XC90's is 78,000 lbs.

As for the XC90. The 2.5T AWD is more than enough car for most people. If your other car is a Porsche than maybe not but otherwise you should be happy w/ the 2.5T.

If the XC90 isn't in your budget thats fine.

There are other choices out there.
    OK I get it!

Other Volvo choices or plain other choices?

Just priced out one w/what we would want and the difference is about $10k. The problem with that is we really wanted new.

We have purchased many used Volvos and always seemed to inherit goblins.

What about certified?

Also, have read some reliability issues w/the earlier models.
  • suzerichsuzerich Member Posts: 2
    Can someone comment on these seats. Are they as good as the purchased seats. What are the size limitations, etc. We have a 3yr old, 34lb, 38", and don't know if these seats would work for him.

Thanks for any comments.

Suze
  • suzerichsuzerich Member Posts: 2
    We are considering these cars as well as a Freestyle and Odyssey. My husband has read somewhere that Volvo has the least satisfied consumers for delivered vehicles.

What are the likely problems we might encounter if we were to purchase the vehicle?

Also, does Volvo offer a DVD system for the rear passengers?

Thanks,

Suze
  • kamala95kamala95 Member Posts: 14
    Don't have my book infront of me (to give you the specs), but these far exceed boosters that you would purchase separately. My 6 year old HATED his booster and it was a pain for us to get together too (not as bad as the car seat, but still aggravating). We have had the car 4 almost a month and I kid you not, he loves sitting in his. He likes how he is seated, and his view of everything. We don't have to deal with issues related to the seatbelt going over his chest incorrectly.

My wife pushed for getting them, and I have to admit it appears it has been well worth the $$.
    Older models booster was 50 lb - not sure age/wght you need but I would check the requirements - they use to be posted on the seat of the older Wagons...
    Purchased a V70. We briefly looked at the Freestyle, but to us wasn't in the same league. I actually wanted to look at the Odyssey and Quest, since we stepped down from Explorer and was concerned about size shock. My better half said no, she wasn't interested in driving around a minivan.

We "settled" on the V70 after looking at other wagons, and didn't look back.

I wrote my impressions of my experience a few posts back, so can't speak of others impressions of delivery experience, but I feel like we were treated first class. In full disclosure, a few days after owning, front passenger window wouldn't go down. Called the dealer, they handled it, gave us a new V50 (thought they would give me the V90 since I was a new customer!!) to drive around in and we picked it up that evening (software glitch apparently). Did it take away from my delivery experience, no. Am I concerned this may begin the flow of additional issues, not particularly. I have had minor issues with new car purchases before, and I am sure I will have again. This to me was a minor issue.

I HIGHLY recommend Volvo though, especially the V70/XC70.

George
    Define "not in the same league" since the Freestyles has many of the features, and a few more, than the V70.
    Defined by my wife as when she saw the Freestyle she felt it was not as sturdy and quality feel of a vehicle as the Volvo. I agree 100%. That is all.

I don't shop for a Hyundai and expect it to be a Honda either. I am not taking shots at the Freestyle as we thought about the 500/Freestyle too. This is coming from a former Taurus company car driver (by request) and EB Explorer owner. I happen to like Ford and will probably buy something like the Focus as my commuter vehicle when my Sonata dies. As we were looking for a near luxury to luxury vehicle, which we were, in our opinion overall the V70 was the best thing for us.

George
    Thanks! I appreciate it. I have had many Volvos and would love to have another.

It just seems the Freestyle offers a good alternative for a lower price.

I keep remembering all the $$ I've poured in to the Volvos over the years and still love 'em.
  • spleenspleen Member Posts: 1
    When parking my 2002 V70 XC yesterday, the steering suddenly became heavy and would stick and then release as I turned the wheel. The engine had been running for 15 minutes and there were no problems on the highway. I checked the power steering fluid reservoir and added a small amount of fluid, but it did not fix the problem. Any ideas? The car is still under warranty, but the nearest dealer is about 1 and 1/2 hours away, so fixing it myself cheaply is preferred.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I'm thinkin' someone needs to switch to decaf...
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Go here for site and look for 2005 test results.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

This just came out since I check the NHTBA web sit every couple of days. Interestingly, not a single new report on this.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    And yet, the V70 STILL gets five stars all around. Call Oliver Stone!

Sheesh.
  • automd984automd984 Member Posts: 11
    Our family just bought an '02 with 29,000 miles. Before that, we had a Volvo V70 '00 with 62. The reason we got the Xc70 is we live kind of northeast and we wanted an all-wheel drive. That car drives so smoothly. Our FWD hardly made it through the snow.

GREAT CAR!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    And yet, the V70 STILL gets five stars all around. Call Oliver Stone!

Actually, the curtain coming down on top of the head don't have to affect the crash test scores. That's because in NHTSA's side-impact test, the barrier is the shape and size of a Corolla. There's almost no blow delivered in the head region. The bags themselves don't inflate with the same force as front airbags so aren't likely to cause injury. Volvo actually goes one step further and inflates the curtain at two speeds, faster when it starts, slower when it's almost all the way down.

It's hopefully a fluke or at least a very unusual circumstance that happens under certain conditions. IIHS and EuroNCAP run tests that include testing the head protection, but they haven't tested V70's. Volvo runs extensive internal tests, so you'd have to believe that 99% of the time, the side curtain provides the head protection. It'd be nice if Volvo requested a re-test, which they can do if they're willing to pay for it.
    One must also keep in mind that in most cases, the person sitting at the point of impact will have their head swing away from the door from the sideways momentum. When their head/body recoils back towards the door, the curtain should be down and in place to keep them from striking the window.

kcram

Host - Wagons
    kcram,

I don't follow you. Isn't that what was tested? There was a side impact into the driver's side, and by the time the dummy's head got to the window, the curtain hadn't come between them in time.

Besides, in a side-impact like you described, I don't believe that the head moves away first and then recoils into the window. Check the IIHS videos on www.iihs.org. When the side-impact hits, the head goes straight for the glass.

This is not dissimilar to a frontal crash, where the head heads toward the front of the vehicle.

Regardless of which direction the head goes first, the airbag didn't make it down in time, at least in this test instance.
    Depends on how you're hit...

If you're sitting at a stoplight and get rear-ended hard, your head goes forward with the transfer of force/velocity, then snaps back (hopefully against the head restraint - that's why it's there). The crash tests are controlled as opposed to spontaneous like a real collision. In the real world, the chances of getting t-boned while moving are probably much higher than while stopped, which means something fairly large or very fast will have to hit you to really cause the side curtains to inflate. The greater force with such an impact will probably cause a "sideways version" of the rear-end impact described originally.

My F150 was T-boned on the passenger's side by a Grand Am at an uncontrolled intersection back in 95. We were both doing about 25-30. The person in the passenger's side rear seat did lightly hit her head on that window, but in rebound, not initial contact.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • molly3molly3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello-

I need some help! I am wondering what is my best bet in terms of reliability, longevity of style, etc.- XC70 vs. XC90? We're looking to buy soon bec/ my old car is on its "last legs" (Toyota Camry). I have never owned an SUV.

I live in New England & will mainly be using vehicle for transport (less for off-road). At this time, I have an infant & plan to have another child shortly, so I am not transporting teenagers, although I am sure that I will need space (i.e., BMW 3-series & Merecdes C-class are too small). Since we tend to hld on to our vehicles for awhile, is it true that Volvo plans to rework the XC70? I don't want to purchase something that will look obselete in few years.

Also, did anyone compare XC90 to Acura MDX. Reviews of both tend to rate MDX much higher in terms of reliability. Finally, whenread Consumer Reports 2004, it gave XC70 a "recommended", but the XC90 "reliability" received negative reviews.

Any help w/b great. Thanks!
    It will probably be at least 3 yrs before Volvo redesigns the XC70.

Both vehicles will do what you want. The XC70 will probably be cheaper.

I have too many issues w/ Consumer Reports methodology to put any stock in their recommended ratings.

the MDX is alot simpler in technological terms than the XC90. The xC90 is alot stronger and safer.
  • calhoncalhon Member Posts: 87
    Note that the NHTSA takes three injury measures during the side impact test, including a Head Injury Criterion; but only one, the risk of injury to the thorax, is used to determine the star rating. One of the reasons I'm somewhat cool on NHTSA side impact testing.

Despite the mishap with the side curtain, the Head Injury Criterion measured for the V70 (238 front/189 rear) indicates low risk of injury. Compare that to the result for the frontal collision of 367 driver/282 passenger, which was a major factor in that 5-star rating.
    ... The crash tests are controlled as opposed to spontaneous like a real collision. In the real world, the chances of getting t-boned while moving are probably much higher than while stopped, which means something fairly large or very fast will have to hit you to really cause the side curtains to inflate. The greater force with such an impact will probably cause a "sideways version" of the rear-end impact described originally.

My F150 was T-boned on the passenger's side by a Grand Am at an uncontrolled intersection back in 95. We were both doing about 25-30. The person in the passenger's side rear seat did lightly hit her head on that window, but in rebound, not initial contact.

Actually, your experience with the your F150 is probably less "real world" as the Volvo V70 crash test. You were in a large, heavy vehicle, and you were t-boned by a significantly smaller, lighter vehicle (and this was back in '95). The occupants were sitting up high in the F150 and the impact by the Grand Am was relatively low against the vehicle.

Meanwhile, the IIHS side-impact test tries to simulate getting hit by something the rough size of an SUV, although a relatively lighter one (one of my complaints with the IIHS test). The NHTSA impact is a much smaller load, but still is probably more comparable.

I daresay that if a V70 occupant was broadsided by an F150, it's quite likely the head goes for the window and the side curtain first, rather than away and rebounding back. Volvo's safety testing is too thorough to be incorrect about that.
    I'd guess we'd really rather not find out the truth, right? :)

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • zsteve1zsteve1 Member Posts: 2
    Recently I've looked at a 2000 V70XC with automatic transmission. I was surprised to learn that after 42,000 miles the car had had a new engine, turbo, and oil pump installed. Since that time it has only been driven 100 miles, and the owner is trying to sell it. The owner told me the original oil pump was defective (It didn't pump oil to one of the cylinders.) Should I be suspicious of this 2000 unit? I've never owned a Volvo; Were there problems with oil leaks that need to be avoided? I'd appreciate you feedback.
    Very unusual to have an engine replaced.
    However, if the work was done properly there should be no reason not to consider this car.

As for leaks, the only chronic one is at the turbo. The seal in the oil line tends to crack due to heat and allow a little oil to seep out. Its not dangerous, just annoying. However, if the turbo is new then so are the seals.
  • anloraanlora Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1994 Volvo 855 (the sports wagon)Turbo and enjoyed it totally. That car is history now because of a transmission problem that couldn't be solved.
    I bought the Ford Freestyle Limited in Titanium Green which I think is a very good replacement for my dear sweet 855. I now have over 4300 miles on this car (one trip to Southern California from the SF Bay Area)and it is going for its first 5000 mile service tomorrow.
    I've tested the Volvo SUV and enjoyed that experience but settled on the Freestyle. I think it is a very good car.
    As a side note, A Toyota Tundra backed into my rear right side fender over the wheel. The Toyota truck rear bumper had more visual damage then the side of my vehicle. My damage was under $400 (I have a $500 Deductible). Can't say that of that Toyota Truck. My car still look brand new after the scrape and drives just like it did before.
    As I said... I view this car as suitable as the Volvo SUV for the gap left by my Volvo 855 Turbo wagon!
  • ajgarvinajgarvin Member Posts: 1
    It has been a long time since you posted your annoyance with the Service Reminder Light (SRL). The one reply I saw suggested you look for a button on the dash. Maybe your 2001 has that, but my 1999 V70XC does not. In my model, this is how you reset the Service light:
    1. With ignition switch off, press and hold the odometer reset button.
    2. Turn ignition switch to Run.
    3. After SRL flashes, release the odometer reset button.
    4. Confirm that this has cleared the SRL by turning the ignition off and then on again.
  • vachaspativachaspati Member Posts: 1
    I'm very much interested in getting an XC70 right now, especially with all the incentives going on. One of the things holding me back is the gas mileage. What kind of mileage can I reasonably expect? And do I need to use premium gas? Opinion is split on the latter, from what I've read.
    EPA says 18 city 24 hwy.
    As always your mileage may vary.
    The car runs best on premium. It will run on lesser fuel. It will not perform as well.
  • wolftrapwolftrap Member Posts: 1
    Interested in your comment on '01 XC70s...that they were very good cars. I am on the eve of buying a '01 XC70 w/ 52K mi. for 16.8K, but am feeling a little unsure having seen many negative postings...please enlighten me further.
    Thanks
  • sf_siennasf_sienna Member Posts: 13
    Hello diana398,

I've had similar problems with the '99 V70XC that I bought in December '99. It had about 7K miles at the time and was driven by someone at the dealership. One of the first problems was the old 'seatbelt stuck in the door' trick. I broke the red door light. I actually just fixed this problem this week. at $20 it was the cheapest of a long list of repairs. I also have a cut in the leather (faux leather?) door trim where the seatbelt buckle got caught more recently. But, this is nothing compared to the following repairs:

Safety issues:
    1. My headlight switch died on me while I was driving home from work in the dark. I changed it myself. Volvo now has a recall campaign for this part. Huge safety issue -- unless you can see/drive in the dark without headlights!
    2. Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) died on me after two years of rough idle. In the past I've asked about this and the dealer said I could pay to have it cleaned. As far as I know cleaning doesn't work, the ETM is just plain bad. Last month the car finally died while my parents were watching my children. After a few attempts to get it started they were able to get it to the Volvo dealer who agreed to replace the ETM under warranty if they would first pay to have it cleaned! Completely ridiculous but at least it's working again. Eventually it will fail due to poor design. This problem has been discussed in-depth on other Volvo sites.
    3. Bad ABS/STC module. This little module monitors/controls your ABS and traction control systems. Mine is bad. The ABS and STC lights intermittently come on indicating that those functions are disabled. You still have regular break function but not ABS and not STC. If you're in the snow without chains and are expecting your traction control to function you're out of luck.
    4. Blown headlight bulbs. I was getting this every 5K to 10K miles and paying to replace them myself until Volvo issued a recall campaign and fixed this problem. At least I had one headlight!! Volvo === Safety? NOT!
    5. Viscous coupler died at less than 20K miles. Replaced under warranty! Otherwise it probably would have cost $1000 or more. I guess this isn't really a safety issue. Or maybe it is?

So, these are just the highlights. I also had to replace front rotors at 60K miles which seems ridiculous to me. My 1989 Honda Prelude didn't need new rotors until 150K+ miles. Plenty of other little things as well as needing to do transmission fluid flush at least every 30K miles to keep the tranny running smooth/quiet. Volvo doesn't say this in the owner's manual but I believe there's a TSB for Volvo that discusses this. I heard it from my mechanic and changing the fluid did help.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long but I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the Volvo quality, or lack thereof. I've never had such an awful experience in my life. The only good news I can point to is that my mechanic says I've now fixed all of the major problems he's seen for this year/model Volvo. I'm sure I'll have plenty more 'typical' quality problems to deal with. Right now I also have the intermittent 'Check Engine Light' on. Today it's off -- hurray! I'm afraid to find out what the problem is this time. My smog is due in a month so I'll plan on getting the 'CEL' looked at and fixed the same day that I attempt to get this beast to pass smog. That'll buy me two more years before the next CEL fix!

Good luck. I'm trying to get a few more years out of this thing before I write it off and sell it for scrap.
This discussion has been closed.