Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

191011121315»

Comments

• edsimsedsims Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy either a 2002 XC 70 or 2003 XC 70. There aren't many 2003's on the used car market. Does anyone know why ?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Basically, its too soon for them.
    Most used Volvo's are lease returns.
    2001 and 2002 are coming back now.
    If someone bought an XC70 as opposed to leasing it they bought it to keep it.
  • jaybirdsjaybirds Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I are considering a 2004 v70 xc with 12,500 miles on it for $26,500.
    We really like the car, but know nothing about volvos. I drive an Acura and she drove a Pontiac Vibe until it was totaled last week. Is the volvo a good car? Is the up keep really expensive? I have heard mixed reviews on this site and I am a little concerned. Any help you can give us is appreciated. Our other choices are a Honda CRV and a Pontiac Torrent. The volvo is on my friends Chevy lot.
  • jrkontjrkont Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 V70 2.5T (my first Volvo) and have been completely satisfied with it. It has performed flawlessly so far and is easily the best car I've ever owned. Maintenance wise, I guess it's a bit early to judge on costs, but I would advise, before purchasing a Volvo, to be sure there are several dealers or independent Volvo service options in your area to choose from. Labor costs are sky high these days, so it helps if you can shop around for the lowest cost fix when that time comes.
    Thanks for the response, it makes my decision a little easier. We are probably going to get the car. There is a volvo dealer down the street, but he wants about $4000 more for the same car with 6000 more miles. However, the car at the volvo dealer is certified. I guess that probably makes a big difference?
  • sbensonsbenson Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2004 XC70 a month ago and are very pleased with it. Our local Volvo dealer offers free car washes, but their car wash does not have a great underbody flush. Living in Minnesota, I'm a little worried about this causing the car to rust prematurely.

I believe the car has an eight year no rust warranty, but I certainly don't want to expedite the rusting process by not washing it well. Any comments on the need to have a good underbody flush?
    We bought our Volvo Saturday. So far it seems like a great car. Smooth ride, great power, and nice brakes. We are considering the extended warranty. Has anyone else purchased this? Is it worth it? Thanks for the replies thus far.
    If it is the Volvo VIP warranty it is a good one.
    If you are going to keep the car well past the factory warranty period you should consider getting the VIP.
  • fmartifmarti Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering a XC70. My local dealer claims 28 mpg on the road (I live in a rural area, rarely in town) at highway speeds. Is he accurate?
    Thanks, Barbarossa
  • atouchatouch Member Posts: 1
    We have an older XC70. It will get 24 mpg on a trip consisting of principally freeway driving. But because of the AWD drive feature, it is tough to get more than about 17 around town.
    28 is pushing it a bit. 26 is probably more realistic.
    I have only had mine for a few weeks, but the Consumer Reports 2005 claims overall mileage at 18, city/highway at 12/26, and 150 mile road trip at 22. I would have to agree with these numbers so far. The car is CR recommended for 2005. I have a simple question, I know the owners manual calls for premium fuel, but at $45 a fill up this is a little steep. Is anyone using mid grade, does this cause problems?
  • pilotpatpilotpat Member Posts: 18
    The owner's manual says 87 minimum. My brother's been driving his V70 (non turbo) for 120k on 87, using premium on highway trips, with no problems at all.

I plan to do the same when we get ours this Spring.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Pat,

Thanks for the tip. With gas prices as high as they are it will certainly help.
  • gaith_menongaith_menon Member Posts: 2
    Our XC70 has a little over 1000 miles on it - I did take it in for the recommended 1000 mile oil change. We have been treating it a gently - not exceeding 60mph, no sudden acceleration etc. But the manual does not indicate that any of this is required. Now we're faced with an 8 hour drive to upstate NY. Can someone shed some light - is a break in period necesary? Can I subject the car to a 8 hour drive when it has about 1100 miles on it?
    Who told you it needed an oil change @ 1000 miles?
    First one is @ 7500 miles.
    You can run it over 100 mph if you want to.
    The only request for the first 1000 miles is to keep the engine out of redline.
    After a long drive you should let the engine idle for 2 minutes before shutting it down.
  • gaith_menongaith_menon Member Posts: 2
    Thank you volvomax!! That puts us at ease. Why was the oil changed @ 1000 miles? Well the dealer told us to bring it in for a "check up" when I had clocked the first 1000 miles. When I took it in the oil was changed.....
  • hafsahbahhafsahbah Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 V70 AWD started to leak oil from the oil filler cap. I bought a new cap but oil is still leaking on top of the spark plug cover. Is this something with this model or are there any oil leak issues from the oil filler cap or around that area.
    Thank you.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    This is definitely something to take care of immediately. My thought is blockage of the PCV line.

In the 1996 850 I was told that the "flame arrestor" (in the outgoing line from the crankcase to the throttle body as I recall) was prone to plugging and that this would resulting in pressurizing of the cankcase which could lead to failure of main oil seals ($$ repair). I changed the flame arrestor at 40 kmi(a perforated plastic disc) which was simple and inexpensive.

Mine was oil soaked but not plugged. Volvo later changed to a different design which did not have this problem. The white plastic disc (about 2 cm dia and 1 cm thick) is in a little black case which comes apart by pressing the two halves together and twisting the two halves CCW with respect to each other.
  • graffitograffito Member Posts: 6
    Is there a way to install the Volvo auto-dimming rear view mirror, or an aftermarket one in a 2005 V70?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've moved posts on transmissions issues to the new V70/XC70 Transmission Problems discussion and you may continue there.
  • pete51pete51 Member Posts: 20
    Has any body experienced hard starts in the morning? Once the car has started, everything runs as normal (5-10 seconds) after start. No more for the day same thing next morning. :confuse: ">
  • gra1656gra1656 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all

I am interested in purchasing a 2005 XC 70 in the coming months. I have been looking and having a hard time finding one with the 3rd row seat. Is it possible to have the dealer install a 3rd row seat as it was installed from the factory? Thanks and looking forward to your responses.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The dealer can install it, no problem. IIRC, we paid about $1400 for it.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    No doubt you've seen a lot of new discussions and even new vehicle groups popping up all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing general, catch-all discussions like this one and creating new discussions that focus on different areas of the vehicle.

Here in the Volvo wagons group, we've created separate groups for each of the models, plus a group for wagons no longer in production. So we have the:

Volvo XC70 Group
    Volvo V70 Group
    Volvo V50 Group
    Older Volvo Wagons Group

I've split posts out of this discussion to start up discussions in the V70 and XC70 groups. If you were posting about XC70 problems here, please go to the new XC70 group and check the list for the appropriate discussion.

Here in the V70 group, you will now find:

New Volvo V70 Owners: Give Us Your Report!
    Volvo V70 Test Drive: What Did You Think?
    Volvo V70 Owners: Share Your Photos!
    Changes You'd Like To See in the Volvo V70
    Volvo V70 Tire/Wheel Questions
    Volvo V70 Transmission Problems
    Volvo V70 Brake Problems
    Volvo V70 Engine issues
    Volvo V70 Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions
    Volvo V70 Electrical/Lighting Issues
    Volvo V70 Safety Concerns

to name a few of the new discussions.

When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list at the main page of the Volvo V70 Group for the appropriate discussion for your comment or question. If you don't see one that fits the bill, please feel free to start up a new discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great source of information about the V70!
This discussion has been closed.