Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    "Why'd the 850 anger a lot of the Volvo faithful?" It was the first front wheel drive Volvo IIRC.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    True. But I would've never guessed the Volvo crowd to get all uptight over something like that. BMW fanatics, yes, what with their RWD worshipping. But I wouldn't have thought Volvo fans would care whether the car was FWD or RWD as long as it's got all the traditional Volvo safety attributes. My aunt had a 740 way back when, and I swear to this day she couldn't tell me whether it was FWD or RWD.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I drive my 740 in the snow. I assure you, I know it's being pushed, not pulled! :-)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Well, my aunt never drove in the snow, or rain, for that matter!
  • Fedlawman and others, a lot of people who live in the Northeast buy the XC because they do in fact handle better, albeit at 7AM going to work or coming home late after a long day. Really an XC is a private sector productivity machine: you can get more done in a winter's day/night if you don't have to worry about getting up an unplowed hill etc. This would not be a consideration if you worked in a large bureaucracy where "snow days" and leaving at 5PM were the norm.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Are really very traditional. Plus they love the tight turning radius of the rwd Volvos.
  • camydogcamydog Posts: 64
    Awhile back there was a discussion about replacement tires for a T5 wagon, V70 type.

Anyone know where continentals are made? Check the side wall if you own them. The last two sets I owned were made in Germany. They were the Conti-Contact H rated tires. Excellent tires with even wear. Great in the rain, marginal in the snow.

My opinion of the Michelins: slick in the rain for acceleration and braking, and poor in the snow.

The opinion given about how much harder you can push the Michelins over the Conti's, especially at speed, is bull (in my opinion;). Made in Germany, goes really fast in Germany. Continental is the OEM tire for high-end German cars, even in Germany.

Hope this helps those looking for replacement tires.
    Yes Conti's are made in Germany, but having driven the same car w/ Michelins and Conti's back to back I have found the Michelins to offer better grip. The Conti's do last longer though.
    For someone looking for a good replacement tire, and not caring about ultimate grip the Conti's make a good choice.

Also, as there are different levels of Michelins, the same holds for Continental. What the put on Porsche's isn't necessarily what the put on Volvo's.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Posts: 15
    You both have good points, it just goes to show that buying tires needs to be an informed decision and that a dealer/merchant whose response is "Just go with stock." may not be giving the best info out.
    Being that my wife does not autocross our T5 with the kids in the back I am very happy with the Conti Extreme Contacts I put on a few months ago. The only thing that I am still feeling out is weather the more "weather capable" type tread they have might have cost me .5 to 1 mpg.
  • Dsvogel, you are really concerned about a potential, at best, loss of .5 to 1 mpg from running a more all weather capable tire on a T5 with three kids in the back? This ranks up there with your running your OEM tires out to 37K with three patches before replacement. Your cost/benefit analyses don't impress me and are dangerously penny wise and pound foolish.

Given your VA address and ready access to military auto service shops I sincerely hope you aren't crunching any numbers for the Defense Department ("what the heck, we'll just harden up the driver's side on our Hummers; the Iraqis shoot only at the driver anyway")
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Do you know of any changes that'll happen to the V70 lineup for the '05 model year? Will the range stay as is?

By the way, I saw pics of the Saab 9-7X here on Edmunds...it looks just like the Chevy Trailblazer it really is!
    We should have 2005 model info sometime next month.
    Right now all there are just rumors floating around.
    Look for monochrome treatments on the bumpers and moldings(finally), as well as changes to the dash and interior.
    No info on engine changes although there is a rumor going around that Volvo will not import the V70R for 2005.
  • orator99orator99 Posts: 2
    Volvo max:
    Any idea when the 2005 V70s might start to be available for Overseas delivery?

After months of pondering and financial wizardry, I finally got up the nerve to put my $2k deposit down on a V70 - only to find out that they stopped taking factory orders for 2004 V70 build-to-order configurations *this past Monday*! The kind lady I spoke to at the Overseas Delivery Center explained that the packages and pricing for 2005 aren't available yet.

I was hoping to pick my car up in early August - think it might still be a possibility?

Does Volvo North America intentionally delay the release of the 2005 models until later in 2004? If the Europeans will get the 2005 model in late July (from all the unofficial rumors I hear), I don't see why I can't get a USA spec version "fresh from the factory", if I'm actually going to actually travel there.
    August should be possible.
    US dealers should recieve OSD order info for 2005 models by early May. This would give you enough time to get a wagon in August.

VCNA is scheduling release of some of its 2005 cars for late August Sept.
    The 2005 V50 is scheduled for July, as is thw 2005 S40.
    The remaining models release time will depend on dealer inventories of 2004's.
    Historically, Volvo's release times are late Sept, October for the next model yr.
    This past yr Volvo launched their 2004's in June.
  • ralfralf Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying a V70 and would like to hear what others might have to say about manual transmissions in these cars. (Performance, resale value, etc.)
    Resale could be more difficult.
    Hardly anyone wants a manual Volvo of any kind let alone a wagon.
    A manual would make the T5 more fun to drive, but otherwise gains would be minimal.
  • vperpetuavperpetua Posts: 1
    I have a manual in a '96 850 wagon. It's always performed fine, and I haven't had any transmission problems, and haven't replaced or repaired the clutch in 170,000 miles. Oddly, the clutch began occasionally to make a slight groaning sound when engaging in 1st after only about 50,000 miles, at which time the dealer recommended replacement, suggesting a problem in the throw out bearing (I think). I decided to wait until more obvious sounds of failure. I'm still waiting.
    Thanks Volvomax and Vperpetua, for your impressions. Anyone else?

Would I encounter in manual the same sort of worrying/bothersome "hesitation" or "delay" that so many complain of in their automatics?
    Does anyone here have experience with Volvo Expat/Diplomat sales? I'm returning to the US after a long period working abroad.

I'm specifically interested in what sorts of specifications I might have available (an '05 model already? a 2.4T with a manual tranny?) through the program. And, of course, a ballpark idea about savings over American MSRP.
    If the car is coming to the US, it must be a US market car.
    So no 2.5T manuals.
    2005's will be available in July-august for some models.
    Savings 8-10% below US MSRP.

The "hesitation" is in the electronic throttle.
    You can mitigate its effects by staying in a lower gear. Either with the manual or Geartronic functions.
  • cadrvrcadrvr Posts: 9
    I had an S70 T-5 with a manual. It was so much fun! I'm thinking of getting the V70R, definitely with a manual. Yes, a wagon with a manual. Why take the fun out of driving? As far as resale, we traded our S70 with manual for a BMW, then 2 days later, I saw someone had bought my car, driving in a town next to mine. It sold in 2 days! I should have sold it privately. I believe there's a market out there. Some would jump at the chance for a manual because they just don't see them out there very often.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Posts: 15
    I've been busy and it's been a little while since I looked at this board, so excuse the 1 month window in replies. Blockisland guy, I take it from some of your posts that you hold yourself and your opinions in high regard. Your reading comprehension is pretty low though. Notice I said "feeling out" not that I was concerned or upset about it. A few months past and I am still very happy with the choice of the Conti's over the Michelins.
    Rather than try and get personal and insulting in a post, just make a point and be on your way. Don't read 3 kids when it say 2 and all the other parts of my first reply to you that you seem to have missed. I guess in a perfect world we would all have loads of money and live in huge houses on reclusive Islands and spend our days on the computer typing away......
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Well, only 3 months into the marriage and the honeymoon is over...

My wife was waiting to turn left across three lanes of opposing traffic. Opposing traffic was stopped for a light and had left a space for cars to turn left in front of them. The driver of a truck waiting in the middle lane waved my wife through, and she go nailed by a van.

Our insurance company says the frame's definitely bent, but it's too close to call whether they'll total the car or fix it. They'll take a second, closer look at the car up on a rack next week (I'm having it towed to my Volvo dealer) and make a determination at that time.

I'm not sure what I want to do. We love the car, and it is exactly what we want to be driving right now, but I fear permanent ill effects from the crash, even if it is expertly repaired...plus the depreciation hit I'll suffer come trade-in time (whenever that might be). This is a first for my wife and I, as neither of us has ever had an accident before, so I'm not sure what to do.

Oh yeah...while getting new tires last weekend (see below), I noticed that the rear springs don't match. The driver side is green and the passenger side is black. I looked because I had previously noticed that the passenger side sits maybe 1/2" higher than the driver side. I never really thought much of it until I checked out the springs last weekend. Since we got the car CPO, I'm now wondering if it has been through a previous, unreported accident...

Any thoughts?

P.S. I put brand new Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires on our V70 last weekend and they simply transformed the car. If you don't mind sacrificing a couple tenths off the skidpad, these tires are the smoothest, quietest tires I have ever owned. If we end up with a new V70 with 15" wheels, I'll be keeping these tires!
    Sorry to hear about your accident, hope your wife is ok.

Since the airbag deployed the frame is definitely bent.
    I've seen them repair worse however. A competent bodyshop should be able to make the car good as new.
    If you keep the car I'd go after the other guys ins co. for diminished value on your car.
    I put a set on my '89 740 sedan. They transformed a car that was kinda bad in the snow into a car that was downright dangerous in the snow. Now, granted, it's a rear drive car. Still, though, the lack of grip on snowy surfaces (or even wet ones) is disconcerting, and definitely worse than the Michelins they replaced. They DO ride nice and quietly on the highway, I'll give them that.
    volvomax - Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, nobody was injured. Yes, the passenger front airbag went off, so that adds considerable cost to the repair as well. However, since my wife was "at fault," I don't think the other person's insurance will be a factor. I will talk to my insurance company about compensating me for diminished value.

lancerfixer - I haven't driven the Turanza's in rain or snow yet, so I can't really comment. I researched them at the Tire Rack's web site where, based on thousands of surveyed respondants, they were the top performing tire in their class for wet and dry traction, hydro resistance and snow traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- e=ST

I hope I get a chance to find out for myself...
    It was the recommendations on the Tire Rack that led me to choose the LS-Ts over another set of Michelins, too...well, you've got a FWD so your mileage will vary. I can only go by what I'm experiencing.
    I thought the other party was at fault, your ins co won't compensate you for diminshed value.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    For those who don't know, we have our own Tire Rack rep in Town Hall now to answer member questions.

Ask Connor at The Tire Rack
    Well then, should I push for a total loss?