Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• cadrvrcadrvr Member Posts: 9
    I had an S70 T-5 with a manual. It was so much fun! I'm thinking of getting the V70R, definitely with a manual. Yes, a wagon with a manual. Why take the fun out of driving? As far as resale, we traded our S70 with manual for a BMW, then 2 days later, I saw someone had bought my car, driving in a town next to mine. It sold in 2 days! I should have sold it privately. I believe there's a market out there. Some would jump at the chance for a manual because they just don't see them out there very often.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Member Posts: 15
    I've been busy and it's been a little while since I looked at this board, so excuse the 1 month window in replies. Blockisland guy, I take it from some of your posts that you hold yourself and your opinions in high regard. Your reading comprehension is pretty low though. Notice I said "feeling out" not that I was concerned or upset about it. A few months past and I am still very happy with the choice of the Conti's over the Michelins.
    Rather than try and get personal and insulting in a post, just make a point and be on your way. Don't read 3 kids when it say 2 and all the other parts of my first reply to you that you seem to have missed. I guess in a perfect world we would all have loads of money and live in huge houses on reclusive Islands and spend our days on the computer typing away......
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Well, only 3 months into the marriage and the honeymoon is over...

My wife was waiting to turn left across three lanes of opposing traffic. Opposing traffic was stopped for a light and had left a space for cars to turn left in front of them. The driver of a truck waiting in the middle lane waved my wife through, and she go nailed by a van.

Our insurance company says the frame's definitely bent, but it's too close to call whether they'll total the car or fix it. They'll take a second, closer look at the car up on a rack next week (I'm having it towed to my Volvo dealer) and make a determination at that time.

I'm not sure what I want to do. We love the car, and it is exactly what we want to be driving right now, but I fear permanent ill effects from the crash, even if it is expertly repaired...plus the depreciation hit I'll suffer come trade-in time (whenever that might be). This is a first for my wife and I, as neither of us has ever had an accident before, so I'm not sure what to do.

Oh yeah...while getting new tires last weekend (see below), I noticed that the rear springs don't match. The driver side is green and the passenger side is black. I looked because I had previously noticed that the passenger side sits maybe 1/2" higher than the driver side. I never really thought much of it until I checked out the springs last weekend. Since we got the car CPO, I'm now wondering if it has been through a previous, unreported accident...

Any thoughts?

P.S. I put brand new Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires on our V70 last weekend and they simply transformed the car. If you don't mind sacrificing a couple tenths off the skidpad, these tires are the smoothest, quietest tires I have ever owned. If we end up with a new V70 with 15" wheels, I'll be keeping these tires!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Sorry to hear about your accident, hope your wife is ok.

Since the airbag deployed the frame is definitely bent.
    I've seen them repair worse however. A competent bodyshop should be able to make the car good as new.
    If you keep the car I'd go after the other guys ins co. for diminished value on your car.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I put a set on my '89 740 sedan. They transformed a car that was kinda bad in the snow into a car that was downright dangerous in the snow. Now, granted, it's a rear drive car. Still, though, the lack of grip on snowy surfaces (or even wet ones) is disconcerting, and definitely worse than the Michelins they replaced. They DO ride nice and quietly on the highway, I'll give them that.
    volvomax - Thanks for the advice. Fortunately, nobody was injured. Yes, the passenger front airbag went off, so that adds considerable cost to the repair as well. However, since my wife was "at fault," I don't think the other person's insurance will be a factor. I will talk to my insurance company about compensating me for diminished value.

lancerfixer - I haven't driven the Turanza's in rain or snow yet, so I can't really comment. I researched them at the Tire Rack's web site where, based on thousands of surveyed respondants, they were the top performing tire in their class for wet and dry traction, hydro resistance and snow traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- e=ST

I hope I get a chance to find out for myself...
    It was the recommendations on the Tire Rack that led me to choose the LS-Ts over another set of Michelins, too...well, you've got a FWD so your mileage will vary. I can only go by what I'm experiencing.
    I thought the other party was at fault, your ins co won't compensate you for diminshed value.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    For those who don't know, we have our own Tire Rack rep in Town Hall now to answer member questions.

Ask Connor at The Tire Rack
    Well then, should I push for a total loss?
    Hmmm, that may be hard.
    Based on the photo, I'd say the estimate should be between $7-10,000. Could be as high as $12,000 if there is more hidden damage.
    I don't know if your insurance co. will total the car based on those dollar amounts.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I suppose the law probably varies from state to state or country to country, but one of the insurance brokers that we deal with told me to forget about going for diminished value compensation (when I had an accident years ago and wondered about that avenue of recourse). He said better men than me have tried and failed!

And fedlawman, sorry about the accident, but based on the pics, I doubt the damage is sufficient for write-off.
    I almost forgot the reason I logged on!

I'm just wondering if anyone with a current vintage V70 AWD or XC70 has directly compared it with the Passat V6 4motion and could offer some comparative comments?
    It is a total loss. The adjuster said that when they got it up on the rack, the repair bill kept getting higher and higher as they found more and more damage.

He mentioned something about the car's electronics being located in the engine compartment (OBD?), and that since the box was damaged, it would be difficult to repair. That plus the dashboard, airbag, frame, sheetmetal, etc.

I guess I'll be back on the internet this weekend looking for another perfect CPO V70...

Thanks all for your advice and comments.
    Good for you!
    The ECU and Tranny computers are located in the RF fender area.
    Isn't that a rather vulnerable area to put such sensitive electronic equipment?
    Where would you suggest?
    There's no where in the cabin to put boxes that big.
    The ecu's are about the size of a hardcover book, maybe a tad smaller.
    Plus, since they control the engine/tranny the wiring is there.
    The are far enough back that in a normal frontal accident they are protected.
    In a front-side hit like feds there is some vulnerability.
    The ecu's are only $1000 each. There must have been alot more damage than we suspected the feds wagon. Lucky for him.
    I'm no expert but I think in Hondas the ECU is located inside the console near the front. That seems like a more protected place to put it.
    USAA called me today and informed me that they are covering me for a few hundred dollars more than my purchase price, plus tax, title, and registration.

I'm so relieved that I'm not going to come up short.

Now I need to find a replacement.

My salesman just got a 2001 V70 2.4T ASR with Premium, Climate, and Touring Packages. It's a local car sold and serviced by them for the past three years, and then returned at lease end. It's got 39,900 miles on it and they said they'd install the 3rd row seat and sell it to me for $24,250. I was thinking $23,500 would be a fair offer.

What do you think Volvomax?

BTW, Volvo's incentives are tempting me to take the plunge on a new V70 with all the packages. With $4000 down, free Premium Package, $750 dealer cash, and 1.9% financing, that would make a 2004 about $120/mo more than the CPO I'm considering.

I keep remembering how tight and smooth that '04 loaner I got was compared to my '01...
    I like new cars better!
    However, you can't combine the APR w/ the free Prem pkg or the $750.
    I would take the $$$ and get a regular loan.
    If your an A+ tier you should be able to get under 4% for up to 60 mos.

I'm assuming the 01 is certified as well.
    If so thats a fair price.
    volvomax, you're awesome! Yeah, I had 3.9% on my CPO V70, so I'm sure I'll get the same rate if I buy a new one.

I actually went and checked out the '01 today. Unfortunately, it didn't have traction control...which is a deal breaker for us. They were also very firm on their asking price of $24,250. I was, however, very impressed with the extra power and the ride also seemed smoother and tighter than my '01 non-turbo. Do the turbo models have some magic that makes them ride better?

So basically, I'm totally confused about which way I want to go. I can rationalize anything from buying a CPO V70 all the way up to leasing a brand new XC70...just depends on how much I want to spend. I'm going to crunch some numbers, do some soul searching, and make my decision.

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Brian
    V70R! V70R!

Oh, I'm sorry, was that out loud...?

:-)
  • steve24steve24 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a problem with selecting a different size tire for the xc. If all tires are of the same size. The pirelli scorpions 215-65-16 are some of the loudest tires iv ever experienced. I currently have 36000 miles on these tires. Iv switched to bridgstone ls-v 225-60-16. The aspect ratio is almost identical. The ls-v tires where rated very high in tire rack comments section. I got such a deal on these tires I could not pass it up. The car handles much better, and absolutly noise free.
    good luck.
    I would take a close look at leasing an XC70, pretty good programs out there now.
    Spent the weekend looking at CPO V70's and couldn't find that special one that was just right.

As we were heading home from a dealership with two cruddy wagons (I don't know how they passed certification), we stopped by one more dealership close to home. It was past closing time so I figured we could just walk the lot and look at the cars.

Of course, we were greeted by a salesperson within a few minutes and the talks began. They had an '04 V70 (non-turbo) platinum green with taupe interior (our favourite combination) with Premium, Climate, and 16" Mimus wheels. We settled on a price $150 over invoice, deducted $2575 for the free premium package, and added $1200 for the 3rd row seat installation. Bottom line - $31,150.

Although there was an '01 moondust 2.4T that we could have gotten for about $24,000, I figured $7,000 was a good price to pay for a brand new car with 37,900 fewer miles on the odometer...in a color we actually like (love).

The '04 drives so much nicer than our 2001 did...it's tight and rattle free, has so much better road isolation and heavier, more solid steering feel. It is also equipped exactly the way we wanted (don't tell my wife I love the upgraded wheels). Thanks again for all the advice and support!

P.S. I actually looked into leasing the XC70 and almost took the plunge (the rates are very attractive). In the end though, we knew we planned to keep the car for a long time, and we decided we didn't really need AWD. Purchasing the V70 with the free premium package discount was the way to go for us.

Nice! I really like that color combo, too.
    enjoy the new car!
    Thanks! We pick it up Wednesday.
    Did you say the '04 drives a lot nicer than your '01? I'm just wondering how that is, since don't they have the same powertrain & power rating? Were you the guy who had complained that your V70 had too much drivetrain slop/slack? Has the '04 been cured of this?
    I never noticed any driveline slop or slack, although all Volvo's I've driven do have an initial hesitation on throttle tip-in. It was midly distracting at first, but then I just got used to it.

Mostly, I think the difference in ride can be attributed to the worn Michelin Energy tires my '01 had when we bought it. It suffered from noise on textured pavement, and impacts such as bridge expansion strips felt relatively sharp through the car compared to the '04.

When I put new tires on the '01, the ride was significantly improved, though still not as tight as the new car. The '01 steering also felt more boosted, which resulted in a less connected feeling to the road in comparison to the '04.

Also, the '01 was a used car with almost 30,000 miles. The suspension was not as buttoned down as a new car, and I suspect the shocks were past their half-life.

Finally, I don't know if this is true, but I was told that Volvo retuned the suspension in '03, and the newer cars have a better ride as a result.

There is no doubt though. To my well-tuned seat of the pants, the '04 ride is better than every CPO V70 I drove...in every way. It's smoother, quieter, tighter, and firmer, yet the car has better road feel, and more confident cornering with less roll. Is there some psychology involved in being behind the wheel of a new car with a clean interior and new-car smell? Probably, but who cares. There is a qualitative difference, and I appreciate it.
    The 04 has a different steering rack from the 01 and a different throttle system.
    Bushing design was changed for 03 I believe.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Member Posts: 15
    Sorry this back dates a few days, but like I've written before I don't check this site every day. I've got a question on your totalled V70 - very nice to hear that USAA is paying up to the purchase price as I have USAA as well. I'm just interested about that spring issue you found out when you were changing the tires. Did you ever follow up on that? Had you gotten a CPO car without being informed of an accident? Did you check Carfax or something like that before you bought it?

Also, How do you think your wife would have made out had she been driving something else?

Glad to hear you found a deal that worked for you.
    Drive it in good health!
    Hmm...I must've mistaken you for someone else 'cause I recall there was one guy who was most unhappy about the lag it took his drivetrain to "engage" when he was slowing down (but not to a complete stop) and then re-accelerate. In fact, I think that was the word he used to describe the sensation -- the transmission seemed to "disengage".
    dsvogel - I was very careful about reviewing the maintenance records and carfax report before purchase. I also have a pretty keen eye for body repairs (re-welds, tape lines on mouldings, overspray on the undercarriage, etc.). It was a spotless car with nothing significant in its history. Besides the springs, the only other "red flag" might be the amount of tire wear for a car with only 26,000 miles. Since the car was totaled, I didn't feel compelled to follow up on the mismatched springs issue.

bodble2 - Definitely wasn't me. The only thing I was unhappy about was losing the car.
  • c3eng726c3eng726 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used Volvo. I was thinking about the S60, but was impressed with the V70 XC. I want to stay under $20,000. I've found a 2000 with 80,000 miles selling for about $16,000, and a 2001 also with 80,000 miles selling for $19,000. Each of these cars are fully and comparably equipped. How do these cars compare in quality, performance, etc? Would the 80,000 miles on these cars be of concern? Also, in doing my research, I found that Consumer Reports didn't particularly like either of these cars. Any comments from drivers with personal experience with these cars. One last thing - I would prefer a 5-speed manual transmission. I have not seen one available - does it exist in this model? Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.
    John
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    All being equal, I would go with the 01. It is the newer style and probably (should) drives nicer. I think they look nicer also.

For 3 grand it's a no brainer for me.

The manual is not available on the XC models. Only the V70 2.4 and T5
  • mkrsw1mkrsw1 Member Posts: 12
    the one caveat on the 01 that i have is that the driver
    and front passenger areas feel a bit more cramped following
    the redesign. you should drive both - you'll notice a difference.

mike
    Go for the 01, much nicer car.
    Larger and more capable, much better off roader, better ergonomics.
    Manuals were never available for the XC's.

CR is pathetic as far as I'm concerned.
    They recommend some junk and pass on some fine cars, not just Volvo. Their methodology is highly suspect IMHO.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Are there any major differences between the '01 and '02 base V70 2.4? Those two years appear to be so similar that I can't tell if there's anything different between them. They have the same 15-in. alloy wheels, same interior, but I don't know if the steering and chassis gear are the same. I know the engine didn't change.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Cramped is a relative feeling. I have had both as demos and 100% like the 01 better. Look, drive, feel, everything is better.
    In what way has the new throttle system improved on the old? Quicker response, or improved drivability?
    was changed on the 02 cars.
    Went from Magnetti Marelli to Bosch.
    Emphasis on better low end response for the American market.

2002 V70 same as the 01 except for the throttle upgrade.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    I have 2 complaints regarding the door locks on my wife's 04 V70:

1)They have way too long a delay from hitting the lock/unlock button. You frequently try to open the door just as it's unlocking. It should be instant

2)You cannot unlock the tailgate with the door unlock button with the car started, in park. Our son was sitting in the third row seat and he needed something so we stopped, put it in park, and went to the back. The rear hatch wouldn't open. Click unlock. Not unlocked. Hit the 'hatch unlock' button on the key fob in the ignition. Won't unlock. Had to stop the car. Take the key out and to the back to unlock it.
    You mentioned "diminished value" a few posts back...can you tell me more?

You see, embarassing as it is to tell this tale (and one reason why I didn't), one week after my wife totaled our (her) V70, she was driving home from the gym in our (my) Acura TSX and was hit by a red-light runner.

The repair bill comes to $4000 and includes new wheel, suspension components, plastic bodywork, and refinishing. The other driver's insurance is paying all the repair bills and rental car fees, but when I asked the adjuster about diminished value today, he simply said, "oh, we don't pay that."

The car is supposed to be ready by the end of the week, so I did a little research on the internet and learned that "diminished value" is a very touchy subject, but that as an innocent 3rd party, I am entitled to it IF I CAN PROVE IT.

Do you have any experience or knowledge of how I should proceed?

I very much appreciate your feedback...

Brian
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Brian - diminished value claims vary from state to state. Here in MA, the courts determined that diminished value claims are not valid as insurance policies specifically state they will repair your car to it's condition prior to the incident which in the court's opinion means the car is the same as before the accident.

I was hit by a tire that came off another car last year. My 98 Accord suffered around $8,000 in damage by the time it was all said and done. One thing they had to replace was the exhaust system. The adjuster from the other company tried to charge me for part of the exhaust because they felt they had to improve the vehicle.
    Even though that is a bit of an inconvenience, I believe it was a specific health/safety design. I think Volvo wants to prevent exhaust fumes being sucked in through an open rear hatch.
  • newbaby3newbaby3 Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I have approx 5500 miles on my 04 xc and I have recently begun to notice a noise after cold start up, perhaps once every 3 weeks or so. Just as the engine lights up while I am releasing the ignition key back to "on", the noise occurs. It sounds sort of metallic, almost like something is hitting a fan, possibly a backfire sort of noise. It's not terribly loud, but quite obvious. I'll be bringing the car in for oil change # 2 soon and plan to bring the issue up despite the fact that I suspect I will likely get the expected " did not exhibit problem for us". The only other problem I have had with the car was a faulty oil return seal at the turbo a while back which dripped oil and was dealt with promptly. Has anyone heard a similar noise or would care to offer an opinion?

Thanks!!!
    fed, I'd start looking over your shoulder bad things happen in 3's!

In order to prove diminished value you would have to have a certified appraiser or a car dealer give you a value on your car based on it having been hit and then repaired vs what that car would bring in pristine undamaged condition.

Since you were hit thru no fault of your own you may be entitled to this. I know that Ins co's hate this and do try to fight it. Good luck!
    Thanks, I actually spoke with the Farmer's regional manager and he made a valid point that until I actually sell my vehicle, there is no dimished value.

I agreed that as long as I don't have to sign a waiver of my rights when I pick up my vehicle, I would accept his position and take a "wait and see" approach.

BTW, it did happen in three's. A week before the V70 was wrecked, I was sitting inside Baskin Robbins with my kids and saw a delivery man open his van door and whack the passenger side of the TSX...to the tune of almost $1000 to repair the dent. He glanced around as though nothing had happened and started climbing in the driver seat to leave. You should have seen the look on his face when he glanced in my direction and saw me glaring at him, then stand up and start walking towards him.

I pick up the Acura tomorrow...
  • adirondaxadirondax Member Posts: 1
    Purchased an '01 V70 T5 on the net. It arrived with the message center telling me there was brake failure. The pedal was very soft, and my local and quite good Volvo mechanic informed me it was down brake fluid. Even with the fluid the pedal was very soft. Took it to a Volvo dealer who informed me that it needed a new master cylinder and power boost - essentially the whole brake system. I couldn't believe that to be the case, and my mechanic, who had earlier fixed an intake problem on the power booster, put in a new master cylinder. That resulted in a modest change to the way the pedal felt. It became slightly firmer.

Rather than dip into the wallet for another $700 to add a new power booster, I test drove an '02 V70. I was surprised that the brakes felt VERY similar.

I have owned a '65 122, '69 142, '85 740 and 240, and a '95 850 T 5. None of the brakes on these cars felt ANYTHING like the '01 V70 brakes that I've got now.

Can anyone comment on this issue, and potential need to repair? My local mechanic told a tale yesterday of a customer of his with an '01 V70 XC who had the new power booster and master cylinder put in and it didn't make any difference!

Thanks for your feedback.