Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    In what way has the new throttle system improved on the old? Quicker response, or improved drivability?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    was changed on the 02 cars.
    Went from Magnetti Marelli to Bosch.
    Emphasis on better low end response for the American market.

2002 V70 same as the 01 except for the throttle upgrade.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Posts: 17
    I have 2 complaints regarding the door locks on my wife's 04 V70:

1)They have way too long a delay from hitting the lock/unlock button. You frequently try to open the door just as it's unlocking. It should be instant

2)You cannot unlock the tailgate with the door unlock button with the car started, in park. Our son was sitting in the third row seat and he needed something so we stopped, put it in park, and went to the back. The rear hatch wouldn't open. Click unlock. Not unlocked. Hit the 'hatch unlock' button on the key fob in the ignition. Won't unlock. Had to stop the car. Take the key out and to the back to unlock it.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You mentioned "diminished value" a few posts back...can you tell me more?

You see, embarassing as it is to tell this tale (and one reason why I didn't), one week after my wife totaled our (her) V70, she was driving home from the gym in our (my) Acura TSX and was hit by a red-light runner.

The repair bill comes to $4000 and includes new wheel, suspension components, plastic bodywork, and refinishing. The other driver's insurance is paying all the repair bills and rental car fees, but when I asked the adjuster about diminished value today, he simply said, "oh, we don't pay that."

The car is supposed to be ready by the end of the week, so I did a little research on the internet and learned that "diminished value" is a very touchy subject, but that as an innocent 3rd party, I am entitled to it IF I CAN PROVE IT.

Do you have any experience or knowledge of how I should proceed?

I very much appreciate your feedback...

Brian
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,820
    Brian - diminished value claims vary from state to state. Here in MA, the courts determined that diminished value claims are not valid as insurance policies specifically state they will repair your car to it's condition prior to the incident which in the court's opinion means the car is the same as before the accident.

I was hit by a tire that came off another car last year. My 98 Accord suffered around $8,000 in damage by the time it was all said and done. One thing they had to replace was the exhaust system. The adjuster from the other company tried to charge me for part of the exhaust because they felt they had to improve the vehicle.
    Even though that is a bit of an inconvenience, I believe it was a specific health/safety design. I think Volvo wants to prevent exhaust fumes being sucked in through an open rear hatch.
  • newbaby3newbaby3 Posts: 12
    Hello, I have approx 5500 miles on my 04 xc and I have recently begun to notice a noise after cold start up, perhaps once every 3 weeks or so. Just as the engine lights up while I am releasing the ignition key back to "on", the noise occurs. It sounds sort of metallic, almost like something is hitting a fan, possibly a backfire sort of noise. It's not terribly loud, but quite obvious. I'll be bringing the car in for oil change # 2 soon and plan to bring the issue up despite the fact that I suspect I will likely get the expected " did not exhibit problem for us". The only other problem I have had with the car was a faulty oil return seal at the turbo a while back which dripped oil and was dealt with promptly. Has anyone heard a similar noise or would care to offer an opinion?

Thanks!!!
    fed, I'd start looking over your shoulder bad things happen in 3's!

In order to prove diminished value you would have to have a certified appraiser or a car dealer give you a value on your car based on it having been hit and then repaired vs what that car would bring in pristine undamaged condition.

Since you were hit thru no fault of your own you may be entitled to this. I know that Ins co's hate this and do try to fight it. Good luck!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Thanks, I actually spoke with the Farmer's regional manager and he made a valid point that until I actually sell my vehicle, there is no dimished value.

I agreed that as long as I don't have to sign a waiver of my rights when I pick up my vehicle, I would accept his position and take a "wait and see" approach.

BTW, it did happen in three's. A week before the V70 was wrecked, I was sitting inside Baskin Robbins with my kids and saw a delivery man open his van door and whack the passenger side of the TSX...to the tune of almost $1000 to repair the dent. He glanced around as though nothing had happened and started climbing in the driver seat to leave. You should have seen the look on his face when he glanced in my direction and saw me glaring at him, then stand up and start walking towards him.

I pick up the Acura tomorrow...
  • adirondaxadirondax Posts: 1
    Purchased an '01 V70 T5 on the net. It arrived with the message center telling me there was brake failure. The pedal was very soft, and my local and quite good Volvo mechanic informed me it was down brake fluid. Even with the fluid the pedal was very soft. Took it to a Volvo dealer who informed me that it needed a new master cylinder and power boost - essentially the whole brake system. I couldn't believe that to be the case, and my mechanic, who had earlier fixed an intake problem on the power booster, put in a new master cylinder. That resulted in a modest change to the way the pedal felt. It became slightly firmer.

Rather than dip into the wallet for another $700 to add a new power booster, I test drove an '02 V70. I was surprised that the brakes felt VERY similar.

I have owned a '65 122, '69 142, '85 740 and 240, and a '95 850 T 5. None of the brakes on these cars felt ANYTHING like the '01 V70 brakes that I've got now.

Can anyone comment on this issue, and potential need to repair? My local mechanic told a tale yesterday of a customer of his with an '01 V70 XC who had the new power booster and master cylinder put in and it didn't make any difference!

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Have 99 V70 R with 32K. Car is a lemmon.. or does Volvo just make lame cars like their parent company Ford?. Recently require new front hub bearins, sprung multiple oil leaks, new breaks, new CV boots. My 30K service ended up costing 2K+. Asked Volvo for some compensation due to low mileage.. got a lame response about outta warranty. I should have heeded the consumer reports rating.. avoid this brand. There are so many alternative cars.. I regret now not considering that Suburu for 20K less, that Mercedes for 10K more, ( I have another one an love it ), or that Audi. So many other quality choices!
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    got a lame response about outta warranty.

No, you got a perfectly valid response about out of warranty...by two years!
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    Because a five or six year old car broke it is a lemon???????????????? Do you honestly think the Mercedes or Audi is better in reliability? I acn guarantee you they are no cheaper to fix.

There is a reason warranties are 4/years OR 50K miles.
  • joajoa Posts: 8
    Thinking about buying XC70, have not decided between this and Outback Sub. Reliability is a big sticking point and of cost has something to do with it. Are there any major complaints about the XC70? My wife and I wanted a 4WD SUV for skiing, winter driving and room but with gas prices we are looking at a wagon with AWD. Any advice would be apericated.

Thank you all,
    Joa
    My advice is to check out the upcoming 2005 Outback before you make a final decision. Snazzy new interior, classy style, choice of 250HP turbo or 250HP 6-cyl, 5-speed auto, improve passenger space, etc.

The XC70 is a nice-looking wagon, but I have a feeling the new Outback will give it a good run for its money.
    To be fair though, his car didn't just break. It sounds like it fell apart on him. If I had to pay over $2K for my 30k service, I think I might be a tad upset too.
    I would be upset too, but you can't fault Volvo. And it certainly isn't a lemon.
  • rcn1rcn1 Posts: 3
    I plan on buying an R, but want to wait for the '05s. Any idea when we will start seeing them at the dealers? Thanks in advance.
    Probably not till October. Best to order one as availability will be very limited.
    Thanks volvomax. The reasoning for me waiting for the '05 is for the second generation chassis control and other updates, most notably the color coded bodywork

Do you know if the V70R will be in more limited supply than last year?

Also, the '04 I drove is a red 6-speed that the dealer has had for some time. They say they will deal. The msrp is 42,500. Any guess as to how much room there is to bargain? Maybe I shouldn't wait if I can get this one for a fair price.

Thanks again.
    Thanks volvomax. The reasoning for me waiting for the '05 is for the second generation chassis control and other updates, most notably the color coded bodywork

Do you know if the V70R will be in more limited supply than last year?

Also, the '04 I drove is a red 6-speed that the dealer has had for some time. They say they will deal. The msrp is 42,500. Any guess as to how much room there is to bargain? Maybe I shouldn't wait if I can get this one for a fair price.

Thanks again.
    This isn't the exact forum for it, but since the actual discussion has been archived since '01, I'd like to get your impressions of the last of the RWD Volvos, the S/V90.
    I imagine the V70R will have a limit on its availability.
    1000 units would be alot IMHO.
    I believe thats how many were built for 2004.
    Right now you can get a free Premium pkg on the V70R. Value $1715, plus whatever discount you can work out.

lancer,
    Wow, the S90!
    That takes me back a long way. I had just started selling Volvo's the last year the S90 was available.
    What I liked about the car:
    Turning radius
    Ride
    seats, better than the S70
    What I didn't like:
    style
    handling
    back seat
    ergonomics
    All in all the S90 was a nice car, but obsolete.
    The S70 was a better car. the S90 being a warmed over 740/760.
    The S90 was a great buy however, at the end of the run we had big rebates on the car. You could buy a loaded S90 for under $30k. All the old school Volvo people were lined up to buy them.
    In many cases, the S90 was the last car we sold them. Most of the old school Volvo geeks don't like the new cars.
    I can get a pretty agressively-priced, low mile S90, and I was wondering if I should take the plunge. This would be a replacement for an '89 740, so obviously it'd be a step up...style-wise, I actually like the conservative yet not super-boxy S90...I know that it was passe in '98, but I think my sense of style is being vindicated as sharp edges and creases return to cars, and the ovoid look is being abandoned. The back seat would be occupied by car seats, and as I live in the midwest now, knife edge handling takes a back seat to refined highway cruising; those two issues wouldn't be a big deal. Now to convince Mrs. Lance...
  • snoopronsnoopron Posts: 2
    Can anyone comment on the V70/V70T performance on snow. I am debating between getting the V70 Turbo or the V70 Turbo AWD. I hear the non-AWD is very good on snow and would rather not go with the AWD due to cost and slightly degdraded acceleration.

Thanks for your help.
    rg
    Good luck lancer,
    Just get used to the valve clatter from the I6.

V70 in snow,
    If you get the T5 you'll proably need snow tires.
    Most T5's came with high performance summer tires.
    AWD is very nice, but rare. Most of the production went to the Cross Country which is what I would recommend.
    I've owned several Hondas, so a noisy valvetrain is old hat. :-) What do you think, though, am I better off going old school with the S90 or getting something like a late 850 or S/V70?
    I love the 850-S/V70. When I think of those I think RWD vs. FWD & highway cruiser vs. sportier. Pre S80/S60 no Volvo looked better than an 850/S70 with a spoiler and nice wheels.
    I go w/ an S70.
    More versatile car, fold down seats for example.
    Dual zone climate control.
    More rear seat room.
    Better safety, newer chassis design.
  • I am looking for a reliable and affordable wagon and am torn between Subaru Outback 05 2.5i and Volvo V70 2003. Fitzmall quoted me $23963 including freight (plus tax, title and processing fee). Is it a good deal and good car compared to Volvo V70. I like Volvo V70 03 very much because it looks very stylish, stable. Don Beyer from Falls Church, VA quoted me $27200 for this car with 20K miles equipped with standard options plus extra 2 seats in the back. Is it a good deal. Does it cost a lot more when it comes to maintenance? I always own Toyota or Honda so maintenance costs is relative low. Thanks for any advice.