Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• pk14 and uglier,

Thanks for both your responses. I'm pleased to see the gripes are directed more towards design rather than reliability at this point on the 2001s. The feedback on the T5 and non-turbo V70 were also nice; the XC gets most of the press these days. Volvo has an excellent pricing strategy with the V70 line. I know I don't need any more than the base V70, but 2Kish more gets the 2.4T and 3Kish more gets you in the XC -- each one giving you a bit more toys.

I rented the 2001 XC for a week in January and used it to go skiing up in Stowe, VT. It snowed the whole week and I must say I couldn't get that thing to slide unless I did something ridiculous. It was first time I felt antilock breaks shutter to an immediate stop rather than shutter into the intersection. Starting or stopping on snowy inclines/declines also was no problem. I loved the seating on both long and short rides. However, getting into those comfy seats is a bit of an adventure. The high seats and low sloping windshield making getting into the vehicle hazardous. What do they say banging you head once is a mistake, twice is stupid ... well the third and the fourth time was because the concussions had knocked me silly.

Anyway with all the XC's thrills I seem to be leaning towards the base V70, maybe the 2.4T depending on one more test drive and anymore useful posts supporting either one. Thanks to all and keep those 2001 review coming.
  • rjqrjq Posts: 1
    Our '91 745 is just went over the 100K mark and we are beginning to think about a replacement. We have had two other Volvo's - an '80 Bertone (wish I still had it) and an '85 245. They all were great cars, although some repair work always seemed to crop up. The '80 was over 18 years old when we phased her out and the '85 was over a 110K when I went for a leased Merc Mountaineer. I now have a Jeep GC Limited but must admit I miss the Volvo Bertone.

Purpose of post: Need advise and feedback on the V70XC. Anyone have enough experience with them - other than the report from the person who rented one and loved it. I'd like to know up keep data and reliability. Any reports out there on the '99 V70XC?

Thanks.
  • bmart418bmart418 Posts: 6
    I have test-driven the V70 T5 now twice...really hard to return it to the dealer! I plan to purchase within the next two weeks. I initially wanted a 5-speed but found that I had to get all over the gas from a dead stop. They did a really nice job with the "manumatic," although the shifts arent quite as smooth as our CL type S. Love the car none the less. How has the reliability been thus far for the T5's? Any ideas on a good purchase price in the Mid-Atlantic region for T5 auto with sunroof, cold weather, auto, wheels? Thanks.
  • alwaysedalwaysed Posts: 55
    I would start at $39.5m, but deal at no more than $40.5. However, make sure it is the latest 2001 T5 which has the outside mirrors as part of the memory package. I picked up my T5 on 12/22 and it did not have the mirrors so equipped.
  • Hi - looking at purchasing a V70. Live in CT area but have gotten quotes from Dealers in New York, New Jersey, and CT.

Haven't been serious in negotiation since I'm just kicking tires now and dealing with these guys via email.

Most of the initial quotes are 3-3.8% above invoice for cars that are ORDERED. One dealer indiated he could go lower than 3% if it's on the lot.

Are these in line with what you've heard/received? Thx for the input.
  • chp3rilchp3ril Posts: 4
    I have been told that a 1996 850t or a 1998 v70 would be good cars to buy. I have a 1988 740gle now with 210,000 miles and its time to buy something elese. Please give me the good and the bad of these cars and if you think I can get 210,000 out of them
    I had a '98V70 AWD R and, outside of the CD cassette mechanism, never had a problem in 42m miles.
  • gad3gad3 Posts: 5
    Well...after many months of research & test drives, my wife & I finally closed the deal today on an 2001 V70 T5. I just want to say "Thank You" to all other posters to this board as you certainly helped us with making our decision. So, for the benefit of all future shoppers, I plan on keeping everyone updated on our first ever Volvo purchase/experience. The local Volvo dealer, Courtesy Volvo in Tallahassee, FL is Great! They generously let us test drive vehicles for multiple days at a time over the last few months. The vehicle we purchased today just came in last Saturday and we've been test driving it ever since so the 300+ miles on it are all ours anyway...ha! Like so many others in this community, I feel we were able to negotiate a very fair deal at $800 (2.2%) over invoice. The experiences of previous posters certainly helped me to go in as an informed buyer so I again say "Thanks". We ended up with a White V70 T5 (It gets pretty hot here so we wanted a lighter color) with Automatic, Light Taupe Sport Leather Pkg, Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Booster Seats, Euro Rails & Versatility Pkg for $37,141 including destination. One of the things we really like about the interior of this car is it came without the fake wood trim that so many others have had complaints about. (chipping, cracking, peeling) We didn't even know you could get it that way because everything else we'd seen or driven had it. We are very pleased with our purchase, the dealership & the vehicles performance and safety features. Like so many of you, I've driven all the test vehicles hard & could never find any reason to not seriously consider buying this car. As time progresses, I'll keep everyone updated on our V70 experiences, likes, dislikes, etc. Hopefully my input will help others as much as I've been helped by the rest of you. Thanks Again! (Oh...my wife just said "Good Night" so now is my chance to finally get to drive it today...HA!) Until next time...
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Sounds like you had a good purchase experience. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
    Sounds like a great deal-congrats!
    Did your memory system include the outside mirrors? It seems the V70s delivered in 2001 had them, those before did not. Mine was delivered in 12/00 and did not have that feature.

My continuing irritation is the lack of info on the 17" P6 Pirellis. Neither Volvo nor Pirelli can tell me where they fit in the Pirelli lineup, either quality wise, or as performance tires. I stopped by my Pirelli dealer today and he, nor his computer, knew anything about that designation. However, so far they have performed well on my V70 T5.
  • gad3gad3 Posts: 5
    Yes, our V70 was a newer model that does include the mirrors as part of the memory package. Sorry to hear that yours didn't. I knew from reading previous posts to check that out.

Interesting posts about the mysterious P6 Pirelli's. I love the way they handle so far. Hope I don't have problems with future performance or replacement of them. I'll keep watching the boards though for additional info and experiences of others. Read somewhere, maybe under the maintenance & repair area, that some people were noticing bubbles coming up on the sidewalls of these tires so I'll definitely be watching out for that.

Glenn
  • scrushscrush Posts: 1
    We have just bought a 2001 V70 T5 and are looking for the best way to configure a roof rack. We have 4 Thule bike racks from our '94 850 T wagon. The good folks at Thule have not yet come out with a "fit kit" for the '01 V70 (I guess they figure that the active folks are all buying the XC), so we need to get a Volvo roof rail system.
    Our dealer says there are 2 ways to go, (1) get the "permanent" EuroRails at a cost of over $600, or (2) get the "portable" roof rails for considerably less. The dealer says that everyone is going with the portable rails. The roof rack and its accessories were a permanent fixture on our 850 wagon and we can't see ourselves putting a rack on every time we go out for a spin.
    Anyone have experience with the portable model? Can it be used on a permanent basis? What are the visuals like -- does it interfere with the sleek line?
    Any other solutions out there?
    Thanks.
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    scrush,
    We have the removeable Load Bars on our '01T5 and I love 'em. This has got to be the cleanest system I have ever seen. The actual feet of the load bars never touch the top or side of your car. Instead the seat into little slots hidden in your roof gutters. Check it out & you will see where the clips insert. It is simple (installs in under 2 minutes), clean & effective. I believe the bars are rated up to 200 lbs. I use them with my large roof box and they work great. The roof box is left over from my '98XC and it fits perfect with the new bars. The box is Volvo brand however it is manufactured by Thule. I think the Load Bars are also mfg. by Thule so most of your existing components might work fine. The Euro Rails on my previous XC made alot of wind noise when not in use.
    PS: I think I only paid about $145.00 for the pair of bars.
  • acasuacasu Posts: 3
    I live in CT, too. Got a GREAT deal on a V70 at Red Bank Volvo in NJ - well worth the 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive. The dealer (Stamford) said they don't like to touch the prices of the Red Bank dealer because they price their cars too low and make little profit- I still didn't see the disadvantage especially considering the savings. He also said they don't like to service cars purchased at the dealer, although told me he wouldn't "refuse" to service my new car. There are PLENTY of other dealers in this area who I am certain would be HAPPY to service my car. So, I'm going with the savings up front. Seems to make sense to me.
    That was an interesting comment your CT. dealer made about service. I would be surprised if there was not a provision in Volvo's dealer agreements that expressly prohibited their dealers from denying warranty service for new cars not purchased at that dealership. You may want to consider calling Customer Service at Volvo IQ in Rockleigh, NJ. just to confirm it.

Also, although I live in St Louts now, I grew up in West Haven, CT.
  • Thanks for the response. What did you end up paying over invoice? Again, most of the dealers in CT that I talked to were at 2-3% over. The dealer in Guilford, CT quoted me at 1.5% over invoice.

Howver, after mulling things over this morning I bought a Saab 9-5 wagon at a dealer in Westport (close to home!.) The car is slightly larger than the V70, handles much better, and is well equipped.

Also, the Saab has lots of incentives, in fact the day before I purchased the car, I received a $1,000 certificate off the price of a Saab - just came in the mail - so I negotiated the price - just below invoice and got another $1,000 off courtesy of Saab.

Good luck with your new car.
    I did no negotiating...and got $1000.00 under invoice (the best price offered in Westport was $500.00 over invoice). Drove the car home today and we are very pleased with it. Good luck with your Saab.
  • I am very close to purchasing a Volvo Cross Country. Is the upgraded Audio System and Subwoofer wothe the $$.
  • norge003norge003 Posts: 11
    Can anyone tell me why the XC doesn't come with DSTC like the V70 (as an option).....I am looking hard at buying the 2001 XC but was surprised that the option wasn't available. Even with the XC having an AWD (at times), it still seems to me like it should be available. Any help would be appreciated.
    I do not know the answer, but you might query the Volvo website; they usually respond within 2 days-even if the info they provide is of questionable accuracy.
  • Hi,
    I posted this on Edmunds a week ago and got no responses. I know the discussion here is about new (2001) Volvos, but I've browsed this site a lot, and hope that you can give me the benefit of your experiences with both cars...

We own a 1988 740 GLE wagon that has close to 175000 miles on it. It's running fine, but we're looking to get a used (probably off-lease) wagon with more power (and an automatic transmission, as it's for my wife and she has an hour-long commute in traffic). I've test-driven the 1996-98 960/V90, the 1994-1998 850/V70 (light and heavy pressure turbos), the V70 AWD, the XC, the '97 Audi A6 Quattro and the '98 Subaru Outback Wagon.
    The Subaru's noisy, doesn't seem to have many amenities, and the steering wheel's difficult to turn.
    The 850/v70 non-turbos are nice cars, but difficult to get going. I've driven both the stick and auto versions, and while the stick is okay -though still slow -the automatic is a snail. My worry with the turbocharged 850/V70s is... the turbo. These cost a lot of $$ to repair, and I've heard scattered reports of turbo casing leaks and suchlike on these high-pressure turbos, so that purchase might lead to a slightly scary situation.
    The Audi's way too much money for the engine and size (it actually looks like it has less room in the back than the Subie). Plus, for less dough, the Volvo has the same front-to-back and side-to-side AWD system.

This brings me to the V90 vs the XC/V70 AWD.
    The light-pressure turbo in the XC/V70 AWD seems to carry less of a load (boosts the hp by 22 from 168 to 190), and the added security of Traction Control and AWD seems great, but the horror stories on various websites about the problems with these cars have intensified - if anything - for the 1998 and newer models.
    The post 1996 960/V90 (which carries side airbags, like the 850/V70s, from that model year on) looks like a hassle-free car so far - dated looks, true, but not too many recorded problems - and has a lot of standard goodies, like the XC. The handling is great, turning radius is awesome, and the engine's smooth as silk - one can hardly hear it.
    The problem here is RWD. We've managed so far for 3 years (stuck in snowbanks twice, always carry a shovel, used to the smell of burning rubber, very frustrating but no calls to triple-A for a snow-tow yet), and I don't know how useful the V90's rear limited-slip differential is going to be in slippery weather (we live in CT).

I've heard conflicting reports so far - one side is of the opinion that 4 snow tires and 200 pounds of kitty litter and salt in the back should help you go anywhere, and the other scoffs at RWD and propounds AWD as the only way to get anywhere safely in winter.
    The weight and power of both wagons are very close. Power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios are almost identical. The V90 gets the edge in ride quality, the XC in highway merges.
    So now it's down to (a) higher repair costs and more problems, but newer technology with the safety of AWD or (b) smoother, more comfy ride, older but tried-and-true innards, and debatable safety in bad weather. Kids in the (not very) near future also in the equation.
    It'd be lovely to get both :), they're great cars, but reality intrudes.
    I'd welcome your suggestions on some of the issues I've raised.
  • Hi,

Live in CT too. Have a 1991 740 w/125K - a solid car that I pan to keep for a few more years.

I too was looking at a car for my wife, looked at the new V70's - (older ones seem to have problems and they seemed smaller than my 740.) I ended up buying a Saab 9-5 wagon - slightly bigger, faster, better driver ergonomics, and more fun to drive.

Re RWD v. FWD v. AWD. I was born/raised in Buffalo, NY - snow around here is nothing compared to Buffalo. However, 4 snows with sand in back doesn't buy much - I had 300 pounds of sand in back this winter w/ 4 snows and driving it was a joke. Fortunately I can work from home so it wasn't an issue.

Your issue comes down to how often car is going to be used and when. My other car is a 4WD Ford Expedition so when weather was bad, I just drove the SUV. If your other car is FWD than I would get the RWD Volvo. You may also want to look at the Saab - price was very competitive at Saab of Westport.

Good luck.
    I recently turned in a '98 V70 AWD R (at 43000 miles) for a 2001 V70 T5. The car performed very well and there were certain attributes that were superior to the 2001. Also, I had a '96 850 with the big turbo--also very reliable.

I used snow tires (Blizzaks)on the '98 in the Chicago area and they worked quite well.

Several of my friends have had '96-'01 Volvos and have not mentioned any problems mentioned in your post.
  • Thanks - our other car is a '97 Passat GLX with FWD, doesn't handle great in the snow, but it's much better than the 740. Does your '91 740 have the rear limited-slip differential? If so, does that help at all?
    I might just buy the V90 (go with tried-and-true) and use the Passat in bad weather - of which we got a lot more this winter than I expected! For now, it's wait-and-see.
  • My 740 doesn't have the limited slip - in my opinion RWD is RWD - FWD is better in snow.. Does your passat have 4 snows? If not, it may handle better as someone else mentioned in the thread.

Good luck.
  • dmyk1dmyk1 Posts: 1
    Just curious to know what kind of deal Red Bank Volvo offered you and who the salesperson was that you dealt with? I'm interested in the XC model -- is this what you dealt on? Also, if you already made the trip there, did you find what they told you over the phone to be different once you got there (how much hassle)? Thanks for your help.
  • garyctgaryct Posts: 12
    I just orderd a 01 V70T5 (manual,nautic blue/sand due in June) without roof rails and would like to able to put up to three bikes on the back of the car somehow. I would prefer to not put our bikes on top of the car if possible (via roof rack).

I'm not to sure about a hitch-type option and not sure if this would take away from the look of the car (not to mention the potential clearence issues with an already lower riding 17" wheel).

Has anybody ordered one of the strap on types bike racks that keeps the bikes far enough way from the back hatch that it will not bang into it? I would most likely put a heavy blanket to over the back hatch area regardless, just to protect my baby.

Any recommendations out there?

all the best,

Gary
  • dunkadunka Posts: 17
    After 7 months and 8,000 miles we can say we would by this car all over again. It has not been perfect but nothing is. Observations to date after mixed driving in mixed conditions.

The Good Side - Car is a rocket, either I have gotten use to the turbot lag or it has lessened. The dangerous thing about merging onto a crowded highway is running up on the car that just flew by you afew seconds earlier when you were at crawl. Brakes take getting use to but they bring the vehicle to smooth and quick stops. Vehicle is still one of the best looking on the road. Extremely comfortable, just came in off 4+ hours on the road and still have the energy to post this message, at 6' 7" being comfortable in anything but an SUV is amazing. Car handles well enough - remember its a wagon. Handles the winter slop we have had in Boston over the past 5 weeks wonderfully, note that I took the 17" Pirelli's off for the winter and put on 16" Michelin Pilot Alpin, those combined with the traction control and we had no problems in all types of conditions. Cargo space is good with the rear seats up, put the seats down and all I can think of is my college buddy's El Camino (that's a compliment). Very functional interior, except the radio controls, they finally figured out cup holders! 22 miles per gallon and it looks like the prices will be rising for the summer driving season - glad I did not go the big SUV route.

The Not so Good Side (have a tough time calling these issues bad...yet) - See the above comment on radio controls, not sure what they were thinking but I don't think I've turned a radio dial since 1975 - also am getting questionable radio reception but that could be the area I travel. The simulated wood door inserts on both front doors has chipped where the handle hits, annoying, but is being taken care of, Volvo has redesigned door inserts. When vehilce is at dealer for door insert work I am going to have them check the steering column, I get a feel of a thump when turning from a stop - sorry for the vague description but it is something you feel rather than hear. Believe it has been mentioned on these boards before, I am confident my dealer will take care of it - Stutz in Salem is great. Watch out for the blind spots, A pilars are too thick and B pilars make some merging situations an adventure.

Bottomline I would buy this vehicle again and am recommending it to friends. I'll let you know what the verdict is on the steering column. And will post an occasional update.
    I dealt with Jane Malone. She was great. We arrived at the dealership at 4:30 pm (it closed at 5:00 pm). She had all of the paper work ready, all of the numbers were the same and the car had everything we wanted (we half expected to get there and have different numbers, etc.). We signed the necessary papers and she delivered the car and we were on our way. It was the easiest car buying experience I've had EVER and I was very happy with the price. Again, she reinforced the fact that we got such a good deal because they are a high volume dealer. Sticker price on the car was 37,025 and we paid 33,352. We bought the V70 with VP w/3rd seat pkg, CWP w/STC, Sunroof, Auto trans, touring package and metallic paint. I don't know what her price on the XC would be, but the lease prices were significantly less that I saw in CT. I would call her. My husband wants to get a Volvo S80 now. Good luck.
    I have had my T5 for 3 months and 4m miles, and agree with everything Dunka mentioned in his post-especially the radio controls and the rear visability. But, I would add one additional negative, that of how the rear hatch and window collect the road grime in the wet weather. However, that is the result of airflow over a very appealing design-a design that could be compromised with a spoiler.

I should mention that I haven't felt any bump problem in the steering (yet).