Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I just like LOTS of passenger and cargo room and think bigger is better (but am not a true American because I give drivers of truck-based vehicles evil stares unless they're farmers :)). I just think the Sienna has a beautiful interior and it has really made me want to get a minivan. I myself have always believed a family of two or less should have a wagon (no sedans, coupes, or convertibles) and a family of three or more should have a minivan (no SUVs, pickups, or full-size vans). But as usual few agree with me and wagons and minivans are some of the slowest selling body styles on the market. But when I save up the money from my minimal teaching salary, I will hopefully get a Sienna although I do LOVE my V70.
  • dwg0redwg0re Posts: 2
    This is a quote I got from a dealer for a Euro delivered T5:

"The Volvo V70 T5 manual transmission with the premium package and sports package is $34445. You would save $3445 over the US MSRP plus two roundtrip tickets to Europe. If you have any questions, please call."

I have read several of the forums here and it would appear this would be a good deal or do you believe I could do better?

I was considering several cars, including a BMW 325iT which I got a fairly good price quote on, Euro price and another $1600 off of that. Unfortunately though I am very concerned about the power and the space. If the BMW had either more space or more power I would probably buy it, but the two combined really makes me think the T5 is the way to go.

I also considered the C320, too expensive considering the competition. I did like the power and handling, the cargo space was adequate too.

I am a little concerned about various postings complaining of bulb replacements, problems with the electrical system and other annoyances? Are the current volvos really that unreliable? Or are the postings the exception not the rule? I really want something fast and with plenty of cargo space as well as luxury which is why I am not looking at a Subaru WRX. All comments and opinions welcome.

~David
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...always believed a family of two or less should have a wagon"

What in heaven's name would they do with all that space? :) Actually you said "or less", so that means a single guy should also buy a wagon?
    Apparently, according to owners of recent vintage V70's (see some of the recent posts here), Volvo has exorcised most of the electrical gremlins and reliability issues from the current V70.
    but fell in love with the Sienna's new interior and always wished for more room. Sorry, boble, I meant a family with two or less children not a family of two or less. Please forgive me. I also just said that was what I "had always believed" and that doesn't mean a family with two children would be worse off with a minivan, just that I believe at least a wagon is necessary as trunks IMO don't offer enough space for storing kid's stuff. Also, when did I ever say I was single?
  • dwg0redwg0re Posts: 2
    Hey, I am a single guy and getting a wagon. It will haul my dog or dogs and provide plenty of space for outdoors gear. Oh, and it can carry people too. I do have a car that is fast carries two people and has a trunk that you cannot even put groceries or one piece of luggage in.
  • shieattshieatt Posts: 75
    libertycat... how can you not care about handling and power???? I mean, sure they may fall lower on your priority list compared to other features, but to not care! Shocking.

We have an '01 V70 T5, and except for a burnt out tail light and crappy Pirelli tires, the car has been magnificent after 30K miles. I agree that for a family with two children, there is no more ideal vehicle. Second-to-none safety, built in booseter seats, lots of power, great handling, comfortable ride, incredibly comfortable seats, good mileage, lots of cargo space, etc., etc., etc.

However, we have more than 2 kids, actually having our 4th in a few months, and as a result just purchased a Suburban for our other car. While we considered minivans - actually only considered the '04 Sienna - with 4 or 5 kids you really can't beat the Suburban. The problem with minivans is that there just isn't much room behind that 3rd seat, and if you need to use the 3rd seat all the time, that becomes a problem. With all the rebates and 0% financing, etc., we got a loaded up LT Autoride Suburban that stickered for about $10K more than a loaded up XLE Limited Sienna at sticker (which of course is what you have to pay for a Sienna) for a lower monthly payment!!! And, given its size, the Burb actually gets decent mileage - we have recorded 18 MPG on the highway.

Still, the V70 is a great car. As others have said, it really seems to be the perfect balance of performance, luxury, comfort, styling, safety, reliability and price. Other nameplates may do marginally better in any one area (except safety), but nobody has a better package than this.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    I've been around plenty of rough V6's and V8's and I would say the I5 is no better or worse than they are. The I5 also has a distinctive sound which some people like and others don't.

The Euro Delivery prices are fixed, unless Volvo has a special going on.
    Currently there are no price specials for the V70.
    However, if you take a car out of stock and pick it up in July or Aug. Volvo will offer a free trip to either London or Nice.
    The T5 wagon is a very hard car to beat, M-B and BMW can't offer you more car only more badge.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Smoothness? Can't beat a straight six. It'd be nice to see the S80's six crammed into a V70. :-)
    "also, when did I ever say I was single?"

You didn't, and neither did I so imply. :)
    re: "...perfect balance of performance, luxury, comfort, styling, safety, reliability and price."

I can't say I disagree. But on the issue of luxury (looks and feel), do you (or anyone else) feel that the V70 is on par with other brands in a similar price range? Let's say...MB C-wagon, Audi A4 Avant, Lexus RX, etc.
    "Actually you said "or less", so that means a single guy should also buy a wagon?"
    Yes, you were referring to me because I had just said I probably would get a minivan in a few years. I think the V70 is not only on par with others, but above the bar set by these competitors, boble.
    I was merely interpreting your statement that a family of 2 or less should get a wagon. Well, according to my math, a family less than 2 means a single person, guy or gal. You did later clarify that you meant to say a family of 2 children or less, but hey, I was responding to your first statement. Nowhere did I even remotely suggest YOU should get a wagon. I think you were inferring that yourself. Hell, I didn't, and still don't, even know if you're single, or have a harem along with a dozen kids.

But this is way off topic and we're probably boring the crap out of other posters who have no interest in this word interpretation game.
    I agree the I6 would be the best solution.
    The smoothest engine configurations are straight sixes, straight eights, and V12's.

The next generation I6 will be shorter in length and should fit the current S60/V70 cars.
    Also, Jaguar will use the engine as well.

The I5 is a compromise between Volvo's need for safety( a large crumple zone in a short nosed car) and their desire for better performance.
    So the next generation XC/V70 would come with an I6? How many more years does the current generation has on its life cycle?
    It was redesigned in 2001 and there are no plans for a redesign in sight, so possibly 2007 or 2008 will yield a redesign.
    Actually the S80 redesign is being finalized now.
    Along with the rest of the P2 cars.
    However, given the lead time necessary it would be 2006 at the earliest before any of these cars would be seen.
    V70/S60 redesign FYI volvomax.
  • irollitirollit Posts: 20
    Our broker's auction list shows a blue 2.4T. Were there two blue color options in 2001 V70s? I want a light colored car.

There are many T5 2001 V70s listed. I don't know anything about the T5 except that it has more horsepower.

How does it compare to a 2.4, 2.4T or a XC? Those are our choices. Any other information you can give me?

We drove the XC and really liked all it's features but there is only one 2001 on the list in a light color (ash gold) so we may not be able to get it. XC is the one we really want.

We had a 2.4 2001 until this month. The insurance company has totalled it because it is too costly to repair. We would like to have one that is higher off the ground than our previous Volvo.
    It has enough power, available AWD, and personally I like its styling better than the XC. The XC has AWD, more ground clearance, and love it or hate it body cladding. But the 2.4T has the AWD option for a lower price overall.
  • irollitirollit Posts: 20
    Tell me more about the T5. Is it available in manual or auto? Does it have the manual available with the automatic like the XC?

Is the AWD an add on option?

Is it as low to the ground as the 2.4?
    manumatic available.
  • shieattshieatt Posts: 75
    bodble2: On the whole, I find the V70 an extremely luxurious car, although I admit there are a few interior pieces that just don't quite have the feel they should on a $40K car. In particular, the interior door handles are an oddly different plastic that doesn't match and doesn't look expensive. Also, they put some kind of black coating on the woodgrain trim behind the interior door handle pull which is scratching off from use. Also, I'm not completely crazy about how the radio and climate control area of the dash fit together. Finally, the glove compartment door doesn't seem to fit completely tight, although it doesn't rattle or anything. All this being said, I otherwise think the quality of the interior materials and ergonomics is at least up to par with MB, BMW and Lexus. And the seats beat anything out there... the most comfortable seats you can find.
    V70 2.4, available in auto or manual(very rare)
    I5 168 hp

V70 2.4T 197hp I5 turbo, auto or Geartronic only

V70 XC 197hp I5 turbo, Geartronic only.
    AWD, Ground Clearance 8.5 inches(reg V70 5.5 inches)

V70 T5 247 hp I5 turbo, Geartronic or manual(also rare) can have sport suspension also bigger brakes and sport seats.

The 2.4 is the basic wagon and feels like it.
    2.4T is the best value, most features for a reasonable price.
    The XC is the most comfortable, has the best ride and is best for resale. Its the most popular wagon.
    The T5 is the most fun to drive, feels like a sports car with a big trunk.
    Actually it won't, sorry.
    Current plan, new S80 2006, maybe 2007.
    New S60/V70 1 yr later.

In the meantime for 2005 all Volvo's will get body colored moldings(yea!!)
    If what you say is correct, then Volvo is making a big mistake as the S80 was introduced YEARS before the S60/V70
    The S60/V70/S80 all share the P2 chassis.
    According to Volvo, the S60 was concieved first but management wanted a replacement for the aging 960/S90 cars.
    The 850 had just been refreshed to the S70 so the S60 proj was shelved and the S80 went forward.
    The S60 arrived 2 years later, and would have arrived sooner if not for the teething pains suffered by the S80.
    So, if a new S80 arrives in 2006, there is no reason that a new S60 couldn't arrive 1 yr later.
    It would capitalize on the interest in the redesigned S80 and offer the new features/engines that Volvo is working on.
    Hardly a mistake.
  • marinadavemarinadave Posts: 20
    Have a 2002 2.4T just went in for 15K service at Volvo dealer and was told front brake pads were 95% worn (rear 50%) so replaced front for $135 at this service. If this is going to be the pattern, I'm inclined to do this next time at Midas where pads are free for life.

Does anyone have thoughts on swapping in longer life pads?

Any thoughts on this brake pad issue?

Thanks.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,916
    "I'm inclined to do this next time at Midas where pads are free for life."

It's been many years since I've gone there, but it always seemed that it was never just the brake pads that had to be replaced. "Sir, the rotors are too far gone to be turned - yes even with only 20K on the car. Oh and one caliper is sticking and since they're only sold in pairs you gotta replace both. We also noticed..." YMMV.

As for longer life pads, there are always some tradeoffs with changing pad types. More dust, noise, et al can occur.
  • sanel6599sanel6599 Posts: 3
    Looking at buying a 2000 V70 XC SE or regular, what is the difference between the two? Any issues I should be aware of with either of these models? Thanks