Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes E-Class Wagons (E320, E500, E55 AMG)

Comments

• recorbillrecorbill Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 wagon, and purchased a hitch from Master Hitch in Houston, TX. It is a DrawTite hitch, and I use it only for a bike rack. I think the 98 and 01 wagons are the same. You might contact a DrawTite dealer in your area.
  • recorbillrecorbill Member Posts: 7
    Anyone done any work in installing a DVD player in an E320 wagon. Everyone I speak with says you cannot install the screens in the headliner with the sunroof. Anyone done screens in the headrests? If any information, would appreciate vendor and installer.
  • mplosicamplosica Member Posts: 1
    Any words of advice for someone looking at a '95 e320 with 90k miles? Owner is asking $15k. Car runs great but there has been some recent work ( water pump / wheel bearings / radiator ) done. What else should I expect to repair in the near future? What is an average monthly cost to own for a car of this age? If you own/owned a mid -90's e320, would you do it again?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    You probably won't be buying a 2003 E wagon. They're only importing about 500 of them for the year and they will be the old body style (same as 2002). They'll be very hard to find. You'll likely have to wait until the 2004 model year for a new e wagon.
  • dbirzondbirzon Member Posts: 3
    We have just taken our new 2002 e-320 wagon on our first road trip. Although we've had the car several months, it's the first time we've had it on the highway. At speeds of 65+, there was a fairly loud buzzing noise that seemed to be coming through the driver's side windshield. It didn't look like the wiper was vibrating. Has anyone else experienced this? Please e-mail me at dbirzon@earthlink.net.
  • seattlebobseattlebob Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My wife and I are considering buying a low-mile '01 E320 Wagon w/ 4-matic and while I am very familiar with Subaru's all-wheel drive system that shifts power to whichever wheel(s) need it, I was wondering how MB's 35/65 4-matic drive system compares. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Feel free to e-mail me at PHSLED@AOL.COM. Thanks. -Bob
  • kost1kost1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the upcoming new e wagon yet? If so, where can i view it? Thanks
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you checked in Edmunds' Future Vehicles Section? They now have information about a 2004 E-Class Luxury Wagon. Is this what you're referring to?

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Check out Edmunds' coverage of the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 Wagon from the 2003 Detroit Auto Show.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons

• dabaerdabaer Member Posts: 7
    I have what appears to be god opportunity to purchase from a dealer, a 2001 E320 WGN, has everything on it except the 4 matic, for a $39,000, price tag and it will include the extended warrenty. it was locally owned and has only 14,000 miles on it. Easily good condition, could be postitioned as excellent condition. I drive over 50,000 miles a year and am placing the 1999 volvo S80 (150,000 miles)with the wife. The wagon appears to be a good deal.. trying to get by the leap to another $40,000 vehicle in the drive way. Dealer says it will be priced to 43,000 to everyone else. sales person screwed up on the price quote. I don't know. everyone on this baord sounds pretty happy with there wagon...any comments ?
    b in virginia
  • cranshawcranshaw Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have (finally) decided to take the plunge and purchase the E320 4Matic of her dreams. We have located a 1998 in the perfect color, in perfect condition, after one owner on the lot of the large, local MB dealership. It has only 49,600 miles and the CarFax checks out clean. We have been assured that the car is in excellent shape. Question: Should we be concerned that the dealer is asking only $24,900? Should we purchase an extended warranty from the dealer?
  • mysienna2003mysienna2003 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Cranshaw
    We recently purchased a '98 wagon as well for closer to $28k - dealer wanted $32k for similar mileage. The only advice I can give is to make sure you have the vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic. The one we purchased was the second one we had inspected. When the first one was inspected, the car literally broke down after going two blocks from the dealership. The second one came back a lot better, but we still used some issues to negotiate the price. Hope this helps and please post a follow up.
  • cranshawcranshaw Member Posts: 2
    Mysienna2003,

Many thanks for your input. After reading your email and noting that Consumer reports listed the E-Class as a used car to avoid, we enlisted our local Mercedes repair shop. Not only did they give the car a clean bill of health, they also gave us a great deal on the extended warranty. The peace of mind of the inspection and the warranty, coupled with a great car has made the queen rather happy.
    Congrats on your recent purchase! And glad you've been able to get some helpful feedback in this discussion..., thanks to mysienna2003.

You may also be interested in checking out the Consumer Reviews for the 98 E320 in our Used Vehicle guide. A lot of good information there. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your MB E320 wagon experience.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    To mysienna2003 and other owners- It would be nice to see some vehicle updates in here. Anyone interested in participating? If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG (City/Highway).

3. Any additional Accessories & Mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your E-Class wagon
        since you first purchased....

Share as much or as little information as you like. I'm sure other owners/enthusiasts, passing through here, would find the information quite interesting... if not helpful.

Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Thanks for your participation, and happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • maurcedesmaurcedes Member Posts: 38
    Always glad to brag about my car.

Mine is a 1995, date of manufacture August 1994. White with blue interior. It started life in Rhode Island as a dealer's service wagon, then was sold to a woman in Mass. who, I deduce from the service records, drove a lot and was probably on-the-road sales. It also apparently made the Florida run often in its early years. I bought the car in July of 2000 with 120,000 miles on it for about $16,200. Current mileage is 174,000.

Repair history:

120,311 miles: Front brake pads, rotors, struts.

120,567: Drivers side window stuck.

125,708: Replaced rear load-leveling shocks. Power steering system serviced.

128,265: Transmission repair to fix reverse.

152,530: Replaced engine wiring harness and battery.

168,000: Replaced air conditioning evaporator.

Misc. repairs included a tail-light lens (probably done in by a shopping cart); an exhaust pipe hole; and the sunroof stuck open. The car's current repair needs are the transmission O-rings and rear pinion seal. It also needs a new windshield, it's so pitted that if you're driving into the sun or against oncoming headlights it's dangerous.

I also had complete services done at 120,311 and 150,951 and tires at 128,061 (Michelins, w/alignment) and 155,406 (Toyos, holding up fine). Oil changes all done on schedule.

ONE MORE THING: The "check engine" light was an intermittent annoyance beginning the day we bought the car. The EGR valve is bad, but I'm going to wait till the engine needs more major work before replacing it. The car runs fine and starts good. We don't have emissions testing where I live. When the A/C evaporator was replaced, they dismantled the entire dashboard, and I thus had the opportunity to "fix" the check engine light. I'm sure this is pretty common. I wish I had thought to ask them to replace the front stereo speakers also! They are worn out.

My mechanic advised me in very strong terms not to use the gooey stuff to fix the A/C leak. I trust the guy. He said he had to replace a compressor once after doing this, on his dime.

I get 25 mpg on the highway at 75 mph, with that nice in-line 6. I love the car.
    Thanks for your 174k update! Wow, I'm impressed. Seems you've taken very good care of your vehicle..., and it's paid off with some pretty good miles for you. I'm sure others passing through here will appreciate your detailed notes. Also, good luck in resolving the issues you've reported. Perhaps someone here can offer some feedback on those matters.

So who's next? Anyone else have a vehicle update they'd like to share...? ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • stdpudelstdpudel Member Posts: 3
    I am a little different in that I came to the E320 reluctantly. It's my 4th AWD wagon: Toyotas Tercel, Corolla, Subaru Legacy 2.5GT preceded it. I kept the Toyotas for over 100K miles, but the Subaru was unsatisfactory and I could barely sell it at 45K miles. I looked and looked at all the AWD wagons, and then a family member offered me the E320 coming off lease for $20K.

And I have to say that it's been a quality car - 1 year of ownership and no brake repairs or exhaust repairs. This would be unprecedented for a Japanese car in the 4th year. We bought it new tires, and the dealer $400 oil change.

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.
    1998 43,000

2. MPG (City/Highway).
    As low as 16, as high as 25 (it loves the open road and 80 mph)

3. Any additional Accessories & Mods?
    We have dogs. I got a cargo tray and a fabulous seat cover for the back seat from Over The Top in England.

4. Maintenance issues to date.
    NADA! It is a little persnickety about having the gas cap screwed tightly or the Check Engine light comes on. But another charm of the car is that it "comes with someone to talk to". I called the 800 number and they pinpointed the cause and reassured me.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?
    It has a huge cargo area and I carried a couch back from the store.

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your E-Class wagon since you first purchased....
    A quality vehicle (albeit large) that is practically worth the money.
  • knievelknievel Member Posts: 4
    Any advice on what to look out for on a 92 300TE 4-Matic with 146k miles? Carfax checks out clean on VIN, but not sure how to find out maintenance records. The VIN is WDBED90E3NF206541 if anyone has access to a special system... :)
    The seller wants 7k which seems reasonable - vehicle has passenger airbag, leather, 3rd row seat.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Can someone please confirm this for me? I've been looking into getting a used E320 wagon, preferably 1999-2001 (amongst several other wagons), and it seems as if a CD player does not come standard, and if you get it as an option, it is not part of the front console, but rather back in the rear of the vehicle. This seems absurd for a high-end car like a Mercedes, considering that the lowliest Kias and Hyundais rolling off the lines have standard CD players up front where they can actually be used by the driver. It appears that this is still true even for the latest 2003 models. Am I missing something here?
  • liz32liz32 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 wagon has the six-Cd changer in the rear and it is a real pain...I have no idea why it's there. I orig. thought it was for safety but all of my husband's recent cars - Mercedes and other - have the changer right where it should be...plus it's not exactly safe to stand outside your car with the lifting door wide open taking time to load cds...it's one of the only things I don't like about the car...
    It does seem very incongruous with such a technologically advanced car to have a CD player that's located where they used to put them about 10 years ago. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a real head-scratcher.
  • benzownerbenzowner Member Posts: 20
    The 2001 and on C-class Mercedes has the 6disk CD changer in the glove compartment
    That makes a lot more sense. I may have to start targeting 2001 as the year under consideration to by a used one (which means I'll probably have to wait until next year).
  • liz32liz32 Member Posts: 2
    my 2002 wagon has cd in rear so you might want to look into it~
  • benzownerbenzowner Member Posts: 20
    It says on the companey web site that the cd changer is in the glove compatment. It might be in just the 2002 and On. what year is your wagon

http://www.mbusa.com/byo/pop_opt_pack.jsp?code=0819&type=o&am- p;model=C320W
    The Maurcedes now has 180,000 miles on it and has started to run hot. It also needs tires, brake rotors, tie rod ends, transmission seals, a full serice, and a windshield. Instead of fixing these things I'm considering a new car. I liked the Volvo XC70 and rented one for a long trip. It was OK, but ultimately boring. Are all new cars boring? Mine's a 95 and it isn't nearly as slick and polished as the new ones, but I like that. I don't really want to feel like I'm driving a couch down the road.

So my question is: are all new cars boring and plush to the point of blandness? What about a 99 or 2000 MB320 wagon? I can find one with low mileage for about the same price or less than the Volvo. But do they have any character at all?
  • bmushinskybmushinsky Member Posts: 1
    does anyone on this site have a low mileage 1999-2003 MB wagon with AWD?
    I've been looking at getting a used MB E320 wagon as well, although "exciting" wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe it, "stately" seems more apt. I'm also looking at several other models and have scouted the class pretty well. If you are looking for "exciting" then I'd suggest checking out the Saab 9-5 Sportwagons (particularly the "Aero" trim line) as well as the Audi (A6) and BMW (5 series) wagons, if cargo room isn't such a premium in your decision. Hint: the more "exciting" they are, the less cargo room you get. You may want to look at the VW Passat W8 Wagon as well in that price range, or drop a little further down and check out the Passat GLX wagon or the Subaru Outback VDC.
    To Everyone - Since our policy forbids advertising/private sales in our discussions, please understand that messages that conflict with this policy must be removed. Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments about this matter. Please do not address this with me here. Thanks!

To bmushinsky - If you're looking for a MB 1999-2003 MB wagon to purchase, you may want to check out this page at Edmunds: Used Car Prices, Listings & Info.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.... ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • aroundthebenzaroundthebenz Member Posts: 8
    Hey, StdPudel (or anyone else), you mentioned a cargo mat to put under your dog. I'm trying to find a mat for my '95 wagon. Ideally, I'd like something that folds/unfolds with the middle seat. I can't find anything on the net.
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    Hey group,

My wife is considering a e320 wagon. I have some questions. What else besides the steering wheel changed between '99 and '00? She is getting rid of her 528iT for this MB. The BMW is just not very big in the cargo area, even thou it is bigger than an x5.

How are the owenership cost and should I consider an aftermarket warranty?

Also, were heated seat a stand alone option or did they come in a package? The bmw has cold weather package which includes htd seats, htd steering wheel and headlight washers.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew
    I know that they added Stability Control, rear side airbags, and the Touch-Shift "manual" shift transmission in 2000. I think some other things as well. Of course, there were some additional bugs in the 2000 models according to Copnsumer Reports.
  • mc_behrmc_behr Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

I currently own a 2001 Volvo XC70 and the lease is coming to an end. My first thought was to get another XC, but after driving my parents E320 wagon and reading some reviews, I am contemplating buying a used E320 Wagon. One feature that I will definitely want is the LATCH system for car seats. Can anyone tell me when Mercedes started installing the LATCH into the Wagon? also does Mercedes make an retrofit kit to install into earlier years that don't have the LATCH system?

Any years better than others in people's opinions, and also what should I reasonably expect out of a late model wagon ('99 or newer). What I mean is if I am going to purchase a used vehicle with miles on it, how many miles should a wagon get out of it before you start to run into major problems.

Thanks,
    mark
    Thanks, NCVOL, for your tips. I wanted to look at the BMW 5-series wagon, but when I went to the BMW dealer I was completely ignored. It was annoying as hell and I won't go back there. My mechanic fixed the running hot problem. Apparently after 180,000 miles there was about an inch of dead bugs clogging up the air flow between the radiator and the A/C compressor. He took the whole thing apart and chiseled them out, fine now!
    I've been investigating the VW Toureg. Now that's a hell of a vehicle! Maybe in a couple years when VW isn't quite so proud of them and the diesel is available. I'd have to change my radical "anti-SUV" stance, though. Maybe my pro-diesel stance would make it less of a sell-out.
    Does anyone here have a CD changer in their E-series wagon? I just got an aftermarket changer, but it does not have a wagon-specific bracket or instructions. It's a generic model that fits MB, Volvo, Audi, etc.

Can you describe how the changer is mounted? The only thing I can visualize is cutting off the plastic parts that hold the first-aid kit, and fabricating a bracket that would attach above the washer-fluid reservoir.

Help?

Thanks.
    Oh, I should have mentioned, this is a 1995 Wagon. The CD changer goes in the back, behind the right side panel in the cargo area, not in the glove box. liz32, you still around?
    What kinds of tires are we using on our older wagons? My 95 E320 is due for a new set. The last ones were Toyos, lasted 30K, which is not bad for where I live. The Michelins before that ran 28K, but Michelins are so expensive now! I have had wheel balance and vibration issues for the last 15,000 miles or so. I'm going to take the car today to a different tire store than the one that sold me the Toyos and see if I have a bad tire. Balancing lasted only 12,000 miles before the vibrations came back and that was with a brake job in between. Any suggestions?
  • mettelmanmettelman Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the cargo space on the new E-class wagon went? I have an E500 4matic wagon on order and when I re-checked the specs I found that the cargo space has dropped from 43.7 cubic feet down to 24.4 cubic feet. Thats a big loss and I am not sure where it could have gone!
    I just cancelled my order for a 2004 E500 4matic wagon! The cargo space has been reduced dramatically (from 44 cubic feet to 24 cubic feet) and the third row of seats is virtually unusable since it is now small and cramped. I have been waiting 10 years for M-B to offer an 8-cylinder wagon with AWD and a third row of seats. And what do they do? they totally messed it up!
    I bet they will have numerous cancellations and unhappy customers... just wait until the automotive press realizes what they have done to what was a great automobile. I challenge anyone from M-B to repond with an explanation
  • 3star3star Member Posts: 3
    According to the specs on Edmunds, the total cargo room with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded has also decreased from 83 cu-ft to 69 cu-ft.
    Length, width and wheelbase of the car has increased slightly. You pose a good question...Where did the space go?
    That really sucks. One of the great appeals of the E320 Wagon has been its amazing amount of rear cargo space. A full 10 cubic feet more than competitors from Audi and BMW.
  • jgeisiiijgeisiii Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a pre-owned 02 E320 Wagon. I really like it. I agree with the earlier posts about the cargo/3rd seat space lost on the 04's. Mine was parked next to an 04 on the dealer lot. It looks like MB shaved off the rear end and hatch to make it look sleeker. Most people will only notice the loss when trying to put large square or rectangular objects in the cargo area.

I' am sure they looked at the typical profile of the 1st time buyers and saw fewer folks in the age bracket with small children. I am not sure what profiles they keep on the pre-owned or second hand units. I don't doubt that in the not too distant future the 3rd seat will all but disappear.
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    I bought my first MB when I was lucky enough to come across a Starmarked 99 E320 wagon this year in near mint condition. I love the classic look with the flat doors, round headlights & sculpted hood, though the staid interior took some getting used to. The car is an absolute joy to drive. If I win the lottery I'll ship it back to Germany and get it completely reconditioned in a Designo edition.
    So when the new wagons arrived at the dealer my 12 year old daughter and I had to have a look. She climbed into the 3rd row seat as I checked out the view from the cockpit. "Dad, they messed up! This car is smaller than ours. We can't get it!" In addition to the new sloped roof, I think the spare is in the floor which of course raises the rear seat and reduces the headroom.
    There are plenty of small wagons out there, including MB's own C. What were MB thinking?
    There are several families in our neck of the woods who are 1st time MB owners because the E's were the only large luxury wagons available. There are plenty of us who are just too snobby to be caught dead in a minivan and SUV's just aren't politically correct! Restore the cargo space!
    It seems that people are realizing our friends at Mercedes Benz have blundered again. According to a well placed source, over 70% of people who owned 2003 and earlier wagons have cancelled their orders for '04 Wagons. It seems the downsized rear cargo space and ridicuosly small (and unusable) third row of seats have taken their toll. If you are listening Mercedes, bring back the SPACIOUS wagon with a usable third row!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the C-Class wagon now have more cargo space than the E-Class wagon?

That ain't right.
  • mswbestmswbest Member Posts: 9
    If you have not received the letter yet you probably will. They are recalling the '04 E-Class because the 2nd row seat belts release in a car crash. We just got our 04 E-320 wagon in sept and love it but we regret that we did not get the trunk closer and four-zone climate. But the Push button start is great! I forget the key looks like it never leaves my purse. The dealer will pick up my car for me later this week to fix the seat belts. So that i can continue to love this new car. And FOR ALL YOU HATERS the trunk space is not that bad how often do you use EVERY cubic square foot. I think it is much roomier in the front than my 01 E-class wagon.
  • stinkystinky Member Posts: 1
    In earlier posts there were complaints about AM radio reception. My 1998 wagon has the same lousy reception. The FM, tape and CD are great. Has anyone found out what's the problem here? Is it common? Is there an inexpensive solution?
  • pb17pb17 Member Posts: 33
    Local radio shop installs a small whip antenna on the rear of the roof. Cost over $400. Don't know if this works. Tinting affects reception, especially metallic. Open to all ideas for my 99 wagon.
  • rjtrjt Member Posts: 2
    ready to purchase an E wagon. was told that wagon with AWD needs the extra power of E500 engine rather than 6 cyl of the E320. wouldn't mind putting the extra money into options instead but don't want to be disappointed later if engine is not powerful enough. any thoughts?