Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes E-Class Wagons (E320, E500, E55 AMG)

Comments

• audibobaudibob Member Posts: 33
    What are you guys thinking???? Unless you absolutely need the third row, the best vehicles for Merc customers is the Audi A4/A6 Avants. The absolute best interior on the market for entry level Luxury customers. Extremely well equipped under $40K. Quattro, the best all wheel drive system around. 4yr/50K mile warranty with ALL MAINTENANCE covered and AAA roadside. Unbelievable transmissions and engines. If you drive one of these there is no going back....
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    Well, AudiBob, maybe we DON'T want entry level luxury. I WANT the fit & finish and roomy but comfy interior of my Benz.
    Audi has no wagon to compare to a fully decked out E500. Too bad we can't get the E55 Wagon in the States. If you can find a copy there's a great review of it in a British pub "Mercedes Enthusiast".
    For used car buyers, the Audi warranty is not as comprehensive as Starmark for which there is also no co-pay.
    By the way, the e-mail address in your profile leads one to believe you are employed by an Audi dealership. Your bias is showing!
  • audibobaudibob Member Posts: 33
    Shame Shame Shame.
    By the end of the year Audi will have the A7 (Both the Porsche and VW SUV's are based on this vehicle) available in the US. 493hp at the base cost of $65k. Any intelligent person knows that Audi owns the crown for best interior designs (including fit and finish.) Premium markets in Europe are decidedly controlled by the Audi product. By the way, the A7 will also have the truly inspiring MMI system for component control and 8 passenger seating without compromising the cargo space. :)
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We consider all of our members to be intelligent, simply with differing opinions. You are free to state your opinion. You are not free to insult other members. Thank you.
  • khicekhice Member Posts: 13
    AudiBob, Are you aware that your post # 158 was in reply to a request for advice posted on April 30, 2000? In fact, it's the very first message in the MB E320/500 Wagon forum. I'm certain Devian has made his mind up long ago. Are you trolling ALL the wagon forums at Edmunds just to sell cars? I noticed that the text of your message #128 was posted word for word on several other Wagon forums. I think most of the members at Edmunds are interested in sharing their genuine opinions or looking for advice. If we want blatant marketing blurbs we can visit the maker's web sites.
  • rolandthrustrolandthrust Member Posts: 14
    am just trading a 2001 for 2004 E500...not sure the extra price is warranted but the driving experience is superior..THe new car has all those extra bells and whistles,but cargo is down some..I`m not so happy with thw continental tires and may ask they be changed..AS for the 2001..it`s been a stellar performer and ultra safe to drive..If any one can give me some info on another all season tire I`d appreciate it
  • dick s.dick s. Member Posts: 4
    I did my tire research before picking up my E-500 wagon; "no one" liked the Continentals. I then researched on Tirerack.com and had the tires delivered to the dealer prior to pick-up; received a credit for "used" Continentals, but so far am pleased with the Pirelli P-Zero Neros. Look for yourself; rated better than Michelins
  • valynnvalynn Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am hoping that someone here might be familiar with this problem and it's not just me.
    The tailgate on my E320 wagon does not consistently close when using the automatic button. It will come down halfway then go back up. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. There is nothing in the way to prevent it from closing. The real problem is, it will always close for the dealership. I have returned it to the service dept twice and twice it seems to work for them. They've checked the software and "normalized" the thing (whatever that means) and still I have an issue with it. They will not take it apart and check for glitches as long as it works for them. Anyone have this problem? Any solutions?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of the car if it isn't straightened out soon. My sanity depends on it! Thanks.
  • calchcalch Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good wagon that can accomodate three car seats in the second row. Therefore, I had three questions for the new E-class wagon owners.
    1) Is the LATCH system designed for 3 seats?
    2) Has oneone actually put three kid-seats in the back?
    3) Does the wagon have as many problems as the E sedan or C-class (We have C- class that is making us hesitate to buy another MB)

Thanks for the help.
  • dixonmdixonm Member Posts: 1
    Hello calch,

I'm curious as to whether you know of any other vehicles (other than the E-Class, potentially) that are supposed to accomodate three child seats in the second row?

Matt
  • calchcalch Member Posts: 11
    Hi Matt,

Still trying to fingure this one out. We are considering a 5 series BMWer wagon, the E-class or Lexus RX330. We are staying away from Volvos, SUVs (exept Lexus with reasonable gas mileage) and Minivans. My first preference is actually the BMW since the service history on our C-class is abismal and I hear E-class is no better. I have posted on a couple of boards, but it seems like most people go with a minivan when having multiple children.
    I have a friend that fits his three kids into the back seat of the Volvo XC90. That seems to work fine if you do not buy the bulky kid seats. The MDX is another option (although I think that is just a minivan with increased ground clearance).
    I was told that three kids seats should be able to fit into any car that has more than 55 inches in the back, but I have not tried. That said, most cars only come with a LATCH system for two seat.
    So the short answer is "no", I have not found the right car yet. Our "additon" does not arrive till the end of October, so we have some time to look, just hoping it won't have to be a minivan.
    I have a 2004 E500 4matic wagon and was thrilled when I read that ALL "E's" were to have the Nano paint; later to learn that NONE of the 4matics will have the ceramic paint due to the fact that they are built at the Graz plant; sorry guys.
  • 3rdrowlover3rdrowlover Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 E-class 4wd wagon. It now has about 55,000 miles on it.
    I am now on my FOURTH set of tires for this car! The dealer says that
    I need to rotate my tires every 3000 miles!!! It seems that my tires wear unevenly when the wheels are aligned as per the manuf specs, so we now align them a little differently to improve the wear. I understand that 4wd can be tougher on tires, but REALLY! I am now off warranty, as well, and trolling around for a car with three rows (no negotiation on that option) that fits into my small garage- height max of 70 inches. I certainly have enjoyed the luxury aspects of this car, but I really have been disappointed by the frequency of maintenance (and expense) required!
    I have just tried the Toyota Highlander, and am intrigued by the prospect of a hybrid in it, though it certainly aint my EClass MB! The Acura MDX seems to fit my criteria as well... Any ideas out there?
    Was my Eclass typical of the brand and type? If so, I need to look elsewhere!!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is not unusual. You may want to go somewhere that has an axle scale to see how you are loading the vehicle. If you have substantially more weight on either axle, then you do need to rotate tires very often, or redistribute what you carry. Four and all-wheel drive vehicle are much more sensitive to tires that don't wear evenly. Since they all receive power, if just one tire is rotating differently, it will affect performance, handling, and braking.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • ttdang123ttdang123 Member Posts: 6
    I have a quick question: 97 S500 40K miles (tan color) vs 2000 E320 wagon (black color) 46K miles - same price. I have a family with three kids. Which one would be better and more reliable? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
  • rjtrjt Member Posts: 2
    no brainer---buy the wagon...three years newer,greater ease w/ the kids, and you'll look cooler in black
  • irvinecarfanirvinecarfan Member Posts: 1
    I work for Mercedes-Benz and I'd like to clear up the discrepancies involving cargo capacities of the new E-Class wagon (what we call the S211) and the previous generation E-Class wagon (S210).

The new wagon has a luggage capacity of 24.4 cu. ft. and a maximum cargo capacity of 68.9 cu. ft. The S210 model was reported -- in Mercedes-Benz material -- to have luggage capacity of 43.8 and maximum cargo capacity of 83.0, but the oddity of the large difference between the two models failed to attract anyone's attention internally. (How's that for honesty?)

I was alerted to the discussion on Edmunds and decided to ask my colleagues if they had an explanation. A check of the statistics with the folks in Germany revealed that the true numbers for the S210 are 21.2 cu. ft. and 69.7 cu. ft. -- very close to the numbers for the current S211 model.

So where did the inaccurate numbers come from? Like all vehicle specifications, they came from the parent company. No one knows for sure, but it's suspected that someone must have used a wrong formula or wrong measurements to calculate the cargo space. (I'm not a mathematician, so I can't explain it.) But no one ever caught it -- until now.

The cargo numbers have now been corrected on edmunds.com, too.
  • e320wagonmane320wagonman Member Posts: 1
    Is there a weight limit for occupants of the 3rd row (rear facing) seats in the E320 Wagon (1998-02)?
  • chkchk Member Posts: 1
    A week after I bought a new 2004 E320 4matic wagon my handsfree telephone system stopped working - my car has been in 3 times - it is has currently been at the dealership for a week this last time - but no solution. They replaced the microphone system and this did not resolve the problem - they now think it may be a wiring issue, but are no closer to solving the problem.

I was interested if any other owner had experienced a similar problem?
    When you stated that your system "stopped working"; what, in detail, do you mean? My system will "activate" without finding a connection... I pull the phone from the cradle,disconnect from the internal wiring, turn it on, reconnect, replace it, then it reboots. The problem is not consistent. I sometimes press the phone back into its connection.
    There's something wrong internally, but this seems to suffice. Also, the microphone picks up a lot of peripheral sounds and also sounds hollow to the listeners.
  • jubileerunjubileerun Member Posts: 18
    Given the fact that the E-320 wagons depreciate so dramatically, does anyone in this discussion plan to keep their E-320 until it has no value? And further, does anyone in this discussion maintain their own vehicle? I am considering purchasing a used E-320, but I don't want to step into a maintenance nightmare. I also would like to know what type of MPG's the AWD wagons get versus the 2wd wagons. Thanks.
  • mopmop Member Posts: 4
    I have a '99 E320 4-Matic wagon, currently with 73k miles which I purchased new. With the exception of some annoyingly-frequent light bulb replacements (mostly in the left rear tail light), the car has been trouble free. I am currently on my 3rd set of tires (current set about 10k miles old), and have not experienced your difficulty. The first (factory) set was replaced after 28k miles. The second after about 63k miles. Both replacements were done at Mercedes dealerships (different), and in both cases I was told the tires had plenty of life left. Given that I drive the vehicle very rapidly on I95 between Cape Cod and NYC weekly, I prefer to err on the conservative side. After all, it's like $800 every couple of years. Not that big a deal. As for the 3rd seat, I hear you. My wife is adamant on the point and has nixed various proposals for a replacement. I'll probably buy the V8 next time around, however!
  • mopmop Member Posts: 4
    We're going to keep ours (a '99, currently with 73k miles) until it dies. It lives mostly in Woods Hole, MA and rusted old Mercs are plentiful and considered stylish there! It makes a good local car and gets through the Cape weather like a tank.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    My wife is considering replacing her 1998 E320 wagon with an E500 wagon. Does anyone know of what changes have been made between the 2004 and 2005 models besides the deletion of free maintenance on the 2005's? Are there sig. discounts on the 2004's vs 2005's? What kind of deals are out there?

Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is interested in speaking with someone who owns a Mercedes E 320 Diesel. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter about your vehicle and why you decided to buy it, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at [email protected]. Please provide your contact information. The reporter is looking for responses by end-of-day today (Sept. 7). Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I'm looking at a 2001 E320 Wagon with 44k miles on it, Starmarked. One owner, coming off lease, serviced at dealer where I would buy it from. Carfax checks out. Service records show that it received FSS servicings by owner at 15,975 and at 31,383, then again at 44,670 by dealer as part of Starmarking process. Only unscheduled was for broken cupholder and one visit for "radio electrical fault." The unscheduled stuff looks OK, but the FSS seems rather far apart. I know they run on synthetic, which can go longer, but would anyone be worried about these long intervals? I'm assuming the driver just relied on the FSS to tell him/her when to bring it in. I'm planning to keep this for a long time, and don't want the engine to have been strained before I ever get it.
  • maurcedes2maurcedes2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure I have seen evidence that E-320 wagons depreciate significantly more than other cars. If my wagon were a 1995 Taurus, for example, with 209,000 miles on it, it would be ready for the junkyard. My 95 E320 wagon is just broken in, well maybe that's exaggerating, but it still runs like a scalded dog. And now that I've gotten over the 200K hurdle, I'm going for 300. I can't really think of anything else I'd rather drive. And while it had some major repairs between 150,000 and 180,000, it hasn't been in the shop for 6 months. So I consider it a keeper.
  • scedsced Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

After spending many hours perusing the Forum for an answer, I've decided to post my question/situation. I was hoping for some direction regarding adding AWD to the vehicle I'm currently in the process of ordering with my dealer.

Although I'm looking into a sedan, I figured the "wagon folk" would have some wisdom and insight into the AWD system.

I'm about to purchase a new E500 and am very curious about potential shortcomings and perceived/known benefits of the All Wheel Drive system. I once test drove an Audi (4 series) with the Quatro system and felt that it accelerated like a sick dog. There was a large perceptible lag from pedal to response time. I ended up with a BMW 528 instead.

I'm now looking "for something different" and a E500 MB seems to fill that want. I currently drive at all hours (day/night) due to the nature of my job and irregardless of the weather. I lived 9 years in Chicago with a Mustang GT, so my driving skills are aptly honed by that experience. I surely love the concept a vehicle that would stick to the road in all conditions (including the recent heavy rains I've been driving through in the steep mountain passes I have to travel in my current California residence). I feel avoiding one accident or spinout on a highway such as these will easily justify any extra charge for the AWD and the slight sacrifice in gas mileage.

However, I'm afraid that the AWD will sacrifice performance and make the E500 I get "less peppy" to drive (i.e., loss of acceleration), but maybe that was just because I test drove an underpowered vehcile (i.e., the Audi A4). Furthermore, are these systems breakdown prone?

I'm grateful for any thoughts or advice you folks might have on this issue.
    Currently have A4 Avant 2.8 tiptronic for a daily driver; adequate power for local driving - need the traction for winter. Just sold E39 M-5 and bought an E500 wagon. I say test drive the AWD; the performance is in the high 6's for 0 - 60. Again adequate! Great balance of power and space; compared to the 528i, this wagon is definitely "more" car; mileage for my first 5,800 miles is an overall 17.5 combined. It loves the highway and regarding acceleration, it can put passengers snugly into their seats. I'm keeping mine for the long haul; regarding breakdowns... the same 4 Matic has been used for many many years and it's about as bulletproof as the Audi "quattro" system.
    You can't go wrong with 4 Matic and the 5 liter. I have friends with the E320 4 Matic and love theirs too. Put one on the road for about an hour, then decide.
  • flageoflageo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am searching for a used e320 wagon '99-01
    I just drove a '99 which had nuematic lumbar/contouring seats. Is that standard equipment or an option?
    Thanks for response and any insights on buying a used wagon.
  • rassrrassr Member Posts: 2
    Hi sced:
  • rassrrassr Member Posts: 2
    Hi sced:
    I've owned a 2004 E-500 wagon since March of 2004. It's an AWD and I don't think AWD decreases performance one iota on the E-500. This is a superb touring vehicle. But beware of one thing: I replaced the tires at 7000 miles. The rear ones barely passed the annual Pa state inspection and the front ones might have lasted until 15M or so. They were Continental ContiTouring tires with a super soft compound, totally ill-suited for this car. I complained to MB of North America and got short shrifted with a primer on tire wear, info. any teenager would know. Look for the DOT treadwear rating stamped on ther sidewalls, anything less than a 400, don't accept.
  • sar1sar1 Member Posts: 1
    Both are new cars. '04 model is 5K less. I plan to keep the car at least for 6 or 7 years.
  • lamboolamboo Member Posts: 4
    I have had a 2001 E320 Wagon and have serviced at similar intervals, typically 1 to 2K miles earlier. Never a problem with the car, now at 36K miles and going strong. I would not worry at all. Go for it!
  • lamboolamboo Member Posts: 4
    I'v been driving an E320 Wagon 4-matic in California mountains for 4 yrs and now in chicago snow. The awd is a terrific feature, well worth the trade-offs. The car is very peppy and in an E500, it would, I suspect, be imperceptible relative to other options.
  • xenogoguexenogogue Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 97 e 320 with 125,000 miles.

The car runs great and doesn't have any oil leaks.

However, the engine idles rough and is rather noisy for a Mercedes.

Any suggestions? Do I need a tune-up? Is it necessary to use a certified Mercedes shop?
  • fvanacorefvanacore Member Posts: 1
    We own a AWD E-320 Wagon and it is absolutely JUNK. This car only has 78k and has so many problems, too numerous to list. Just when you get one thing fixed, something else goes wrong. This car is primarily driven by my wife, and not abused. It looks great, is solid built, and when its running is a fine car. WHEN its running. This vehicle has had every problem you have read about in this forum and More. The dealer is fine, but they can only do so much
  • sjeff1sjeff1 Member Posts: 3
    ugh.I am buying one Mon..help!!!
    What year? What kind of
    problems???
  • jandbjandb Member Posts: 1
    I own a '93 300TE 4matic wagon which I alternately love and hate. It is such a beauty to behold, however, I am on my 4th folder in which to store service records. I always use the dealer. I had the windshield crack last week and the dealer farms that work out, so I'm using a local glass guy. What scares me is that he says he has to dis-assemble the wiper motor to install the new windshield and that it's a 5 hr. job. My insurance is covering the cost. Has anyone had experience with this?
  • rfasrfas Member Posts: 3
    Hi I dont know if you will get this, but here goes. I am considering purchasing a 1998 e320 4 matic wagon w/ 49K for 15,000.

Can you tell me if you happy w/your car? Have there been any problems? Please let me know.

-Thanks,
    so did you buy it? Are you happy? Im looking at a e320 wagon 4 matic w/ 49K for 15,000.

Let me know what you did and if your happy?

thanks
  • reagentreagent Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 01 e320 wagon and need to use the 3rd seat for my 1.5yo son. He will be in a very high quality carseat (Britax). I'm wondering if the owners manual gives any requirements for use ie: min. child weight,size etc.
    Regards
    I also researched the Continentals before purchase of my E500 AWD wagon at tire rack and spoke personally with one of the big honchos who reassured methere wasn`t enough difference to change...now at 15000 miles after my second tire rotation there is excessive `cupping` noted on the rears. The dealer told me it was due to the inherint camber of the rear end. I wAs never told to rotate tires every 3000 miles.This is the first such problem..have had 3 previous E 4matic wagons
  • sjeff1sjeff1 Member Posts: 3
    I have not purchased as yet...wow 15,000, what year e329 wagon..sounds like a good price?..is it a AWD too?
    I learned you must baby them more than 3 series BMW but if you do they will run forever too.
    I just love the classic look,space, comfort and ride!!!
    No. As the saying goes..you cruise you loose. I saw the add on fri afternoon, told them i would come out to look at on Sat morning. Well Sat morning comes around and i slowly make my way out to the jaguar dealer ship.....bottom line..on my way out i get a call on my cell....the car was sold....so i never even got a chance to see the car, except for pictures that showed the car to be in immaculate shape.

yes it was 4 matic....

I own a Volvo 95 850 GLT Wagon....runs great, rides stiff, im the 2nd owner, 80 K....and i want something different....I would like to get a Yudkon or Tahoe, but the wife is not into big trucks, so when I saw the add for the E320, I said to myself BINGO.

The other thing is we are putting on an extention to our house and to spend the 17K (taxes and all) on a car that I really dont need......nough said.

Good luck with your car!
    -Rich
    am awaiting dealer decision re cupping of back tires at 15000 m. noted on second rotation..Does anyone have experience with some tire brands rated higher by Tire Rack for the E500 AWD wagon ie Bridgestone Turanza,Kumho ,MichelinEnergy MXV4 Plus,or Continental ContiPremiumContac...Presently have the ContiTouringContact
  • tk45stk45s Member Posts: 5
    I didn't see any in the owner manual. However it states that you can call MErcedes for their recommendations of car seats. o be safe you can call them.

My son is 16 months old. He uses a big heavy seat whose brand I cannot remember now. The car seat fit well in the side rear seat. However, with it in only one additional person could be seated on the rear seat. I also tried to put the car seat in the center rear seat. It worked. Two additional persons could be seated. But the space was tight. So if you intend to carry 5 without using the 3rd row make it sure you don't buy a big car seat. If you only intend to carry 4 then there shouldn't be a problem.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here is an idea for a premium wagon comparison test.

Premium Wagons

Mercedes E Class wagon
    BMW 530xi
    Audi A6 wagon
    Volvo V70
  • rdkayakrdkayak Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in possibly purchasing a used E class AWD wagon. I am currently a Chevy Suburban owner. The gas prices are just too much!!! I'd like to downsize to a wagon, family members, friends have owned Mercedes and loved them. It's a fabulous car also. But safety for our children is what draws me to this car. We have two big dogs that need the space in the back. My questions are as follows: Can anyone questimate the gas mileage for me? What should we expect to pay annually in service also as a questimate barring obvious unforseen problems? I saw one today in a split second that had 41,000 miles and was $35,000...I think, could be off on those numbers a bit. Any other advice or things to look for would be much appreciated. Thank you
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    our y2k 4matic wagon got about 20 mpg overall.
    a couple mpg more on the highway, a couple less around town.
    what to expect to pay annually for service? be afraid. imho these cars are subject to the
    bathtub curve of reliability/repairs. many early repairs, not so many later on,
    then many more much later on. hopefully you'll find one in the middle of the bathtub curve when the car will maybe be reliable. otherwise, i hope you have lots of cash set aside for random pricey repairs. my advice, compare with a new/warranteed volvo v70.