Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    From what I understand from Jamie, this is correct...130HP TDI for 2004...No doubt available in both Sedan & Wagon...:)
  • mpardimpardi Posts: 3
    I've had mine since November. Except for a round trip - Atlanta to Dallas and Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale, it's a week-end driver so far. But, it is far more than a test drive ever led me to think. It is truly one of the best (I've had Jaguar & Mercedes sedans) cars I have ever had. Just over 4K now, and the performance gets better every day. The only change I've made is a K&N air filter, which smoothed out off-the-line hesitation.
  • I just purchased a 2001.5 Passat wagon out of state and I just love it! It has 23k miles on it and I immediately made an appointment with my local VW dealer to have it inspected before the 24 mo/24k mi. warranty was up. The service manager informed me that if I could not produce documentation that the scheduled maintenance had been performed the warranty would be void.

Is this a common issue with second owners of cars? I have purchased several used cars from dealers before and never had any documentation transferred from the original owners. The local manger says that each dealer has its own database (no national database) but the owner's manual just has a code number (406 403) for the original dealer. Is there any way I can trace back this data?
    Unless there is a lot of info that you have omitted, this is a bunch of c**p...

Is this a Certified Pre-Owned VW?

You are probably out of Warranty (Bumper to Bumper); it was 24Months or 24K Miles whichever comes first. There is remaining PowerTrain...
    5 years/50,000 Miles less Time in Service and the 23,000 Miles on the clock.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.
  • Interesting and well-written article in today's Boston Globe on coil pack failures in 2001 and 2002 1.8Ts.
  • cmanncmann Posts: 17
    Just awaiting my '03 GLX 4Mo Wagon (Blue Anthracite/Black) which is now 'in transit'. Time to order some snow tires for it ... I'm familiar with Michelin Alpins and Kumho KW-11's on other vehicles. I've been extremely impressed with the KW11's on my AWD T&C van; even more so cuz they're inexpensive! Currently thinking of Kumho KW15's for my new addition .. anyone have any experience with them?
  • 4petite4petite Posts: 30
    Some careless driver left a 2-inch long scratch on my one-month old bumper while the car was parked today. Does anyone have any idea how well the paint resists future peeling/chipping? Anyone have a good suggestion on how to best minimize the scratch without paying for auto detailing?

Thanks.
  • I purchased my W8 Variant in mid-December, 2002. This is my 2nd Passat, with my last being a 2000 GLX V6 Sedan.

My VW experience with Passats has been excellent. My 2000 had only one non-scheduled maintenance issue in over 3 years...the plastic center console lid latch broke, and was replaced for the cost of the part ($2.99). Other than that, nothing but oil changes and checkups in over 30,000 miles. The car was still squeak and rattle free, with gorgeous paint, leather condition, and materials. As for my W8, it was perfect on delivery, and has been flawless since purchase. Since being broken in, the acceleration has improved and the brakes feel perfectly seated. The 4motion system allows for excellent control in wet weather.

The additions of the indirect lighting in the cabin (a la Audi), the auto-levelling bi-xenon headlights with power washers, the 13" Audi S4 rotors with 4-piston calipers, the and the Audi MFD which includes the radio information in the gauge pod, have brought the car to a level which easily competes with Euro sedans costing 10K-20K more, and have made this the best car I've ever had...something which my previous Passat held the title for!

Hopefully everyone's experiences will be as good as mine with Passats. For those of you with problems, good luck sorting them out. Those of you with very bad experiences, you should buy another car...and I hope you do not have any problems with THAT brand too. I am aware that problems can happen anywhere, anytime, with any car...but the likelihood has dropped significantly each year.

I have owned an Alfa Romeo, a Honda, a Hyundai, a Toyota, two Mitsubishis, a Cadillac, a Pontiac, and two Volkswagens. The Alfa was a nightmare of problems, while the Honda, Toyota and Cadillac were all significant problem vehicles spending almost as much time at the dealership as on the road. The best reliability cars I owned were a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero (132,000 problem free miles), 1987 Hyundai Excel (that's right!!, with a tranny rebuild at 84,000 being the only repair up to 90,000 miles when sold), 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (no problems in 37,000 miles), and 2000 VW Passat GLX (no problems in 33,000 miles). If I were to look at only my experience, I would have to conclude that Hondas and Toyotas are horribly unreliable, while Hyundai and Mitsubishi were the best!
  • mauislickmauislick Posts: 107
    thank you zackie for perspective!
    I just got an 2003 gls tip wagon...the only defect it was delivered with is the vent lights on the dash are not working (all four) certainly not life and death situation and will be attended to at the 5k oil change.......I had a toyota corrlla prior to my first passat (rearended and totaled) and it was a great little car......3 starters, 1000.00 in shocks struts, brakes, 3 batteries, broken parts inside the car, and finally at 114,000 the tranny dropped.
    Dont' get me wrong I liked the car and it served me well...those things mentioned just come along with car ownership (IMO) the worst car was a 1979 audi fox.......it drove well but it had continuous problems.......I had a 1976 vw van and all I did was change oil and tune it up once in a while......it was great......
    the beauty of it all is in america not only can most of us afford a car......we have a trememdous choice of cars to look at........
    we tend to complain too much about our good fortune........
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Oh, man, you hit a chord with me on that one! I had a 76 Dasher...I virtually lived at the garage with that one! Remember when, back in the day, no one knew jack about that jetronic fuel injection system? The mechanics at the dealer didn't have any better idea what was wrong with than I did. In fact, there were times I definitely knew more because I had studied the Bentley manual until it was ready to fall apart.

We traded that car and a couple of weeks later some poor [non-permissible content removed] called the house, wanting to know if we knew what was wrong with it, when it wouldn't start. I gently asked a few questions about what was happening and what he had already tried. When he got the point of telling me that he was "priming the carburetor" (which it didn't have) with gas, I told him get to the dealer. But I did manage to sell him the Bentley's for about 3/4's of what I paid for it!
    Those lights at the vents are history...sorry another running change...
    peter,

it's been confirmed that others have the lights on in 2003 variants.......schematics have been checked and all indications say there there are lights there......I suggest you post at "other" sites about this change if indeed it is a running change.....sorry peter right now I am skeptical..to accept the running change reason.
  • nyguynyguy Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 2003 Passat Wagon and I noticed on my title and registration the body type is 4DSD. This reads as 4 door sedan and not wagon. Is this correct? Does anyone's title and registration have 4DSD?
    the vent lights are history as mr. guild had mentioned seems late october builds (mine on 01/31/02) are sans those little bulbs that tend to burn out and irratate customers to no end.......I just noticed it because I had an 2002 wagon that had them
  • The running change must not be included on the W8s...mine has an October 2002 build date, and still has all working vent lights. I kind of like them, though I agree this wouldn't be a reason to buy or not buy the car! Fortunately my 2000 Passat never burned out any bulbs, so I never had to go through the frustration to replace them.
    it seems the late oct. and early nov gls/glx models don't have the lites......mine was built 10/31/02 but sticker inside door says NOV 02...it't quite possbible they didn't exclude them in the W8 not many have chimed in with W8's...except you until someone has one with a nov or later build date we wont' know the answer to this intriguing mystery brought to you by VWAG
  • alfoxalfox Posts: 716
    Looks like the State put the wrong code on th registration. Maybe the dealer filled out the Title Application wrong, maybe some data entry person in the State hierarchy made a typo - who knows.

I've had wrong colors, wrong years and wrong models in the past. We usually get them corrected at renewal time. Now if the VIN is wrong, THEN you have a problem that needs to be fixed now, LOL!
    Deletion of Vent illumination began Production Week #45 for GLs & GLS'...

Break Points:

VW Mosel Passat 3P 264 324
    VW Emden Passat 3E 213 619

GLX & W8 unchanged...
  • my vin # is about 35000 cars before the end of lite production.....so I would say if your car has them, then it has them, but if you don't have them and your Vin # is lower than above......then you have a lower vin# and no lites........
  • I have a 2003 Variant with the 1.8T. Not quite 7 months old and just had the 10K check. Love the car - no problems so far. Some things I would like to see changed but no show stoppers.

Last week coming down I17 from Flagstaff, I had a small altercation with a large piece of tire tread which magically flew out from under the car in front of me. It flew like a bolo, and I had no place to go to dodge it completely. It did manage to take out a hunk of grill but nothing else. After looking everything over, the grill comes out of the car with the removal of two threaded fasteners and..... the dang "T" hood release handle. I can work with the fasteners but I am stumped with how to disconnect the "T" handle. Does anyone have a manual that shows how it's done? Other than dismantling a bunch of the front of the car, I am at a loss. The dealer quoted me $117 for the grill replacement and $120 to replace it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob in Glendale
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    I leased my 2003 GLS Wagon in late 2002 and have been very happy with it. I've noticed several posts where people have asked about the gas mileage of the V6 versus the 1.8T. My wife has a 99 Passat GLS V6, and over the holidays we took both cars home to see her parents (I had to leave early). I drove the wagon, she drove the 6. On the way over, I got 26 MPG (mixed hwy and country roads), and my wife got 29 MPG. Coming back, I left the wagon, and took the 6. I managed to get over 30MPG!

So far, the V6 seems to get better gas mileage than the 1.8T. I have even switched cars with my wife for a week to see if it's driving styles, but the 6 wins out.

From a pure "feel" standpoint, her 6 feels more solid than the 1.8T (though we love both). Her engine is also a bit more quiet. Even though there is a bit of a lag with the 1.8T, I quickly adjusted to it, but when I drive my wife's car, I have to "un-adjust" as I tend to gun it out of the garage with hers.

On another note of comparison, if you have a choice, get leather over cloth. I got gray leather in the wagon, and it is easy to clean. My wife's black cloth seats are like lint collectors.

Regarding extended warranties, I don't think I'd get one. Put the money in a CD and hold it for repairs. We considered an extended warranty for my wife's car. It would have been $1200 to take it to 10 years, 100,000 miles. In the four years we've had the car, these are the things that have gone wrong:

- AM antenna died (warranty)
     - Temperature sensor replaced (outside of warranty $125)
     - Latch cover on center console replace (outside of warranty $200)
     - Oil breather hose unit replace (outside of warranty $285).

As you can see, we still would not have made up our $1200 investment. We have had the front and rear brakes done. Fronts were $435 at dealer. Found the son of a friend who used to work for VW to do the rears. He charged $300. Front brakes were done at 40,000 miles, and rears were done at 50,000 miles.

Overall, we love the V6 and plan to keep it for awhile.

I've only had my 1.8T wagon for a few months, but I have had only minor problems. The rear seat power port does not work, and I haven't been able to figure out how to program the power on volume for the radio (manual directions seem incomplete).

If you have any questions, please let me know. I highly recommend the Passat - both in V6 form or 1.8T. But if you're going for a used one, make sure you get a 1.8T with the 170 horsepower.

Thanks for listening.
    I wonder how much of the difference you are finding in mileage is due to the difference in body styles (wagon vs sedan)? The wagon is posted as having lower mileage, I think, with exactly the same engine. The wagon is not as aerodynamic or slippery.

Regarding the seats, I agree 100%. Leather over cloth is definitely the way to go.

The "volume-on" setting thing is in the manual, but (surprise!), it's not on the radio. No one has this feature on the new double-din radio/tape/cd unit in the 2003's. This has been discussed on Clubb5 and vwvortex and no one has figured it out. It's apparently a missing feature.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the extended warranty. These sure have gotten pricey over the last five years. I did buy one for our '97 Honda (and unless something breaks soon, I'm not gonna get my money out of it) and it cost approx. $800. VW Masterguard was quoted at $1700 (yikes!). Since my model year has the 4 year/50K warranty, I think I'm going to roll the dice and just set the money aside as you suggest.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    It's a mistake in the manual. I think there's a TSB that covers this mistake
  • I've had my 2003 Passat Wagon (1.8T) for two months now, and I'm liking it more all the time. I loved it when I first bought it, but quickly became disenchanted, just because it really wasn't the right time for me to buy a car (impulse buy) and in some ways the seat turns out not to be as comfortable as the one in my Honda Civic was.

Yet, the car continues to grow on me. I have snow tires, and the car (we actually call it "the van", as my roommate has the strong impression that it is one) handles like a champion in the snow, which is really stunning. (It's partly the tires, partly the ABS, and partly...?)

We took a 2000-mile trip shortly after I bought it (not the best thing for break-in, I realize), and it is COMFORTABLE inside. You can sleep soundly in the passenger seat in almost any position. (That definitely was not true of the Civic, at least for me.) It has a capacious quality that isn't really about its size, I think.

At around 4000 miles, I haven't had any problems with it (not that I'd anticipate having any this soon), nor have I found any defects. (Then again, it's not as though I've inspected every piece of trim, etc.)

I was driving the Civic last week to fix it up for selling, and it felt like a toy by comparison. (I don't mean to speak against the Civic, which is a delightful car, and mine in particular has been great.)

My only complaint about the Passat is the crappy binder for the manual ;-)
  • My 1.8 Wagon is only 3 weeks old. I smelled a gasoline smell in my garage after driving awhile. The smell would disappear after several hours - there were no leaks on the floor. My husband said it was probably some type of venting problem. Went to the dealer today and they replaced a valve they said was sticking. Well, the smell is still there. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    Altair4 - Thanks for the information regarding the gas mileage. I hadn't thought about the different body styles as contributing to the gas mileage. I am *happy* with the mileage I am getting (it's better than my Taurus), but I would LOVE for it to do better.

Thanks for the info about the volume on setting. The stereo in my wife's 99 has it, and it works great (of course - no in dash CD, which she hates). It's more of a nuisance than anything else. Ironically, the stereo has a "speed up volume setting," which is actually pretty neat. When you go fast, the stereo volume increases to compensate for the increase in noise. (I'm sure you already knew that - I thought it was a neat little touch).

Regarding the warranty, I am hoping the 4years/50K provided by VW is more than enough. Judging by what has happened with my wife's V6, that warranty would have covered everything but the breather hose repair we had done recently. Although it was nice to get 4 free oil changes with her car (2year/24K warranty plus free maintenance), I'd have rather paid for the oil changes and got a longer warranty.

Thanks for all of the info, and good luck with your Passat!
  • I would love to see the drag coefficients between the sedan and wagon bodystyles of the Passat (or any other model, for that matter). It would seem to me that the wagon bodystyle would be more aerodynamically efficient, without the rear window dipping down to the trunk creating a vortex which disrupts the flow of air over the vehicle.

By seat of the pants, my Passat wagon feels significantly more stable at high speed than my sedan did...comparing the two at triple digits, the sedan was still very controllable and comfortable at those speeds, but seemingly more sensitive to wind and experienced more wind noise than my wagon...I have had the wagon up to a higher speed than I ever got the sedan up to, and there was noticeably less wind noise, and the vehicle tracked with virtually no effect by the wind, which was blowing from the driver's side at 5-10MPH that day.

Of course, many other factors can make some difference, such as the weight differences in my W8 engine versus the V6, the front end redesign on newer Passats, the AWD system which I did not have on the sedan, etc.

Which is why I would like to see a drag coefficient comparison between a sedan and wagon of the exact same model, with equal equipment.

Anyone?
    Don't recall where I read it, but I definitely recall seeing that the sedan has a lower value than the variant. Can't produce numbers and don't have time to search, but that's what my memory tells me.
  • The replacement notice on the coil packs includes *early* 2003 1.8T models. Does anyone know what the cutoff is? My car has a 07/2002 date in the door.
  • You probably have the "H" coil packs which may fry. Those with a build date of 08/02 or later apparently have the "J" coil packs. Mine is 06/02 and I have the "H" coil packs. Check your part number.