Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• rpfundstrpfundst Member Posts: 7
    I think you miss my point. I don't think that every dealer needs to have every trim level, in each color in stock. My point is that several of the dealers I've visited in the DC area only have maybe 1 or 2 Passat Wagons in their inventory ( at least that they are willing to admit to) and those seem to be either already sold or on their back lot or at another storage area and not available to be test driven. I don't think I'm being unreasonable expecting to be able to test drive a car before investing close to 30 large in it and the dealership!! Volvo makes both sedans and wagons and their dealers seem to have both available for test drives!! I don't want to get into a war of words I think the advice and insight you give out here are invaluable to folks looking for these cars and hope you continue -- you generate a lot of goodwill for VW. What made me look at the Passat in the first place were the memories of my old Sirocco. I hope have fun driving the Passat while still being family oriented.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    No...You are certainly correct...see #202...
    Things should improve as we get into the early
    summer...

Thank you for your kind words...PS
  • davidfosterdavidfoster Member Posts: 5
    I agree with lots of seen on previous posts:
    - there does seem to be low (wagon) inventory at local (west of Boston) dealers
    - however, rather than switch, we'll wait (2 months, I'm told)

We seriously considered V70s and looked disinterestedly at others (Suby, Saturn, the A6), and there's really nothing out there that does it for us like the 1.8t 5spd wagon. So we'll wait. Signed last weekend on a car in Germany that is in production (no VIN yet). 7 weeks, 1 day, and counting....
  • sillysetterssillysetters Member Posts: 1
    The last time I tried to buy a Passat Wagon was 1998. It was ordered in January. March "they're in production" April, " its on the boat". May, " we're not bringing it to Canada this year"

In Canada it seems to be the same story all over again for the 2001.5 Passat Wagon. Vw Toll-free information line staff inform me that the Wagon is in Canada already. Well someone should have told the dealers cause they don't know about it. Dealer opinion on arrival of the wagon varies from May to September, to" I don't think we're getting it til the 2002 model year."
    Even the sedan is hard to find. One maybe two per dealer. Good luck getting a test drive.

No shortage of Volvo and Subaru wagons. The new H6 3.0 is a great ride.

Looks like VW blew another opportunity. Last VW in this driveway was 1995. And I agree with others, the two year warranty is a pathetic. Stand behind your German engineering.... once you figure out the production side.
  • liquidtideliquidtide Member Posts: 2
    Ok, the last few posts have all dealt with the availibility (or lack thereof)of new Passat Wagons. Well, I am looking to purchase a used one,'97 - '98 and can't seem to find any. How many wagon units did VW sell in these years, are they that rare or do the original owners just hold onto them? Because of their rarity should I expect to pay a premium price for one? Thanks!
    VW buyers are generally not whimsical in their purchases...Although it is
    certainly no secret that the new, redesigned Passat of 1998 has launched
    this VW product onto an entirely different plateau...I sold a rather reasonable
    number of '96 & '97 Passat Wagons...and have sold, or more acurately had
    the opportunity to sell a grand total of 1...yes, 1 Passat Wagon...vintage 1997,
    GLX, Green/Beige Leather. It was a trade for a '98.

Certainly we broke no Sales records with that product, but this was in a different
    time...VW was a product that had a following...a cult following, if you will. We are
    now very main stream...just follow the threads.

It is my belief that the folks that have these Wagons will keep them, and run them
    into the ground, because they own the last of a breed...these are the people that wave
    to other VW drivers passing in the opposite direction on roads all across America and
    have done so for decades...I don't think new Passat owners, although I know they
    love their cars, feel the same comraderie.

So, good luck in your search...there are plenty of places to look...finding might
    be a little tougher...
  • mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    the local dealer on Maui has a record SEVEN 2001 pre facelift passat wagons on their lot,
    If i remember correctly
    two gls / c. red/ anth. grey
    the rest are v6 and/or 4 mo. a couple of white and another grey, don't remember the rest,
    they have been there for probably close the three months.
    If you really wanted one they would cut a deal and ship it BACK to the mainland. (that's a new one)
    there seems to be a scarcity of wagons at the BEGINNING of the Model runs,
    the economy is stalling, I would guess there will be a glut of inventory about Sept. that's the time to cut a deal.
    the dealers will eat their mrsp words about then
  • mcferbrmcferbr Member Posts: 2
    kelf,
    just purchased a 01.5 P wagon GLS 1.8T automatic blue with leather, luxury, monsoon, cold weather, and homelink. i was able to get it at $100 over invoice (invoice was 25,397, msrp was 27,300). here was my strategy - i went in, test drove it and offered 4000 under the msrp of 27,300. the dealer kind of laughed but took it to the boss. the dealer came back with the invoice sheet just to show what they "paid" for the car. i compromised to 3000 under msrp. the dealer said that is still under invoice and will not work. eventually we got to about 25,500. my goal was to get it for under 25,000 and could not get the dealer below 25,500.

i walked out that day and called around to other dealerships only to find out that they didn't have any on their lot or they didn't have anthing in a 4 banger. one dealer laughed on the phone when i mentioned paying below invoice - that dealer said maybe they could budge a little from msrp, but nothing close to invoice. after hours of calling and searching the web, i figured i had a pretty good deal with the first dealer. the next day i called to see if the car was still there, went down and purchased it.

before doing any of this i read the very informative edmunds article on buying a new car. i followed pretty much all the advice the article provided - stuck to the price of the car, not the payments, knew what the car was valued at (invoice, tmv, and msrp), and avoided being talked into a different car that i didn't want.

www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

all of this was in ohio

good luck
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    And thanks for sharing your story with us. Sounds like you had a good purchase experience, not to mention you got a very good deal! We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Please keep us posted.

Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • mikeg61mikeg61 Member Posts: 28
    I just got a 2001.5 GLS V-6 Tiptronic, with cold weather package and Monsoon. We called the dealer to see if they had any in stock and they quoted us $495 over invoice for one that had come in that afternoon. Closed the deal 2 hours later and took delivery the next day. Figure they make about $1,000 bucks on the deal because of the 2% holdback, but it's still reasonable considering it was $1,500 under MSRP.
  • doodley_doodoodley_doo Member Posts: 6
    Our dealer offers a Smartchoice2000 Encore extended warranty (10 years/120000 miles) for $1,100 dollars. The general message I get from most sources is buy the VW backed warranty, though the price is higher and the coverage period is shorter. Has anyone had experience with the Encore warranty, or the VW warranty for that matter?
  • hzhhzh Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have experience using the new convertible booster seats with the Passat '01.5? We really like the car but when we test drove it and tried out our car seats they didn't work. The rear seat belts, next to the doors, are set slightly forward allowing the car seat to move several inches side-to-side. The sales people were clueless about installing child car seats and their recommendation of putting foam underneath was ridiculous. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I have 2 kids in boosters right now. If you pull the seatbelt out all the way until the ratchets lock, then kneel on the car seat while pulling the belt back it will hold it in place. You need to put some weight on the seat and pull the belt tight, otherwise it slides around.
    We kneeled in the seat and had the seatbelts as tight as they would go. We just couldn't get them to fit. It's nice to know some car seats do fit. What kind of boosters do you have? If the passat had the iso-fix we wouldn't have this problem.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    No one has 2001.5 wagons in Eastern PA. When are they supposed to start arriving?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Are coming in dribs and drabs. Not a lot of inventory out there yet.
  • ark4ark4 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001.5 gls, passat wagon, automatic , monsoon locked in at 23,700--how does this sound?
  • rerskrersk Member Posts: 9
    I place a deposit for a GLX Wagon with 5spd manual. Dealer says a shipload arrived
    in Boston this week and there were no manual shift GLX wagons on the boat.
  • gtidrivegtidrive Member Posts: 4
    ark4:

i paid 24,890 for the same but included luxury (wheels and sunroof).

Your deal sounds decent. See if you can get the luxury package at dealer cost. The alloy wheels compliment the chrome trim really well.

My deal got me extras at dealer cost. Leather was added. This made it much easier to find a car. Good luck finding something. Open options are a good thing.
    well I have been waiting for a total of 12 months for a gls/1.8t/tip/candy whit/grey leather/monsoon passat station wagon,
    I tried to buy a 2000 in april of last year, none available, told to wait for the 2001's July, waited none available, regional rep said why don't you wait for the 2001.5's we will build one!
    waited unitl Jan 2001 they said "will build in weeks 12 to 14" NOTHING, rep came up with an order # WRONG CAR! Last WAS car is being built in week 18 and it will be a 2002. THAT week ended Yesterday! NOTHING SHOWS UP ON THE COMPUTER!
    I think the higher powers that be say "DON'T BUY A VW" at least oneI WANT.
    GOOD LUCK people, it been a really frustrating, mis informed ride,
    I hope NONe of you NEED A CAR, that is the worst position to by in, I WANT ONE BUT DON'T NEED ONE>
    here I come BMW< Mb, toyota subaru, anything but VOLKSWAGEN
  • car_seekercar_seeker Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 1991 V Passat Wagon. I have never owned an import before...always GM. But I have been looking around the net and have noticed a few good things about Hondas, Mazdas and Volks.
    I am assuming that the Passat Wagon might be a good choice since it seems people want them. But is that only the newer models? What about the '91 ?
    In Canada, this one is $5,500, mint, loaded. Does that seem reasonable?
    thanx
    I started looking for a 5 spd manual, GLX wagon (any color) more than a month ago. My
    local dealer looked for a month and couldn't find any. I left a message on this board (#221)
    and got a reply that I should check with other dealers. Good idea I thought. Called a trusty
    high volume dealer that I know personally in CT who said no problem, there are two available
    at another dealer. Great I said , and gave him a credit card deposit on the spot. A couple of hours later he called back to say sorry they'd already been sold. Haven't heard from him since.
    I guess VW is giving up on manual transmissions. Tried the Tiptronic, it's just another
    slush box. Guess I'll have to pass on VW.
    It just takes a little extra effort on the part of your Dealer...There is one
    being built this week...Silverstone/Black Leather who do you want it shipped to?
    They're Century Breverras with the pain in the [non-permissible content removed] slots to feed the belt through in the back. After I pull the belt out all the way, I have to make sure that all the slack was pulled out of the belt as it goes through the car seat back. I just got rid of an Outback, and it was the same way. Hope this helps.
    Thanks to VWGUILD whose suggestion and encouragement I took to heart, I'm picking up my new silver/black
    leather GLX 5spd stick wagon next week. I found a resourceful dealer and though he's in a neighboring state,
    it'll be worth the trip. Didn't have to pay a premium, actually hit near Edmunds market rate. All the other dealers
    II called said I'd have to wait for the 2002's.
  • texahootexahoo Member Posts: 6
    After thorough research (and much lurking on this board and on vwvortex), I've definitely decided to get a Passat wagon. But given the limited supply and long wait for 2001.5s, maybe I should just wait for the 2002s since I don't need it immediately. If I wait, it sounds like it will be easier to find what I want (1.8T, 5-speed manual, lux, and leather (grey) in indigo or anthracite), and at least I won't have to add an in-dash CD player after delivery. Does anyone know when the 2002s should begin arriving (I'm in Houston)? Will supply be better than the current trickle of 2001.5s? Can I go ahead and "order" a 2002 now? Has production of the 2001.5 already stopped?

By the way, I appreciate everyone's contributions here, especially vwguild's. Thanks.
    Congratulations & Welcome To The Volkswagen Family....Enjoy!!!!
  • texahootexahoo Member Posts: 6
    After thorough research (and much lurking on this board and on vwvortex), I've definitely decided to get a Passat wagon. But given the limited supply and long wait for 2001.5s, maybe I should just wait for the 2002s since I don't need it immediately. If I wait, it sounds like it will be easier to find what I want (1.8T, 5-speed manual, lux, and leather (grey) in indigo or anthracite), and at least I won't have to add an in-dash CD player after delivery. Does anyone know when the 2002s should begin arriving (I'm in Houston)? Will supply be better than the current trickle of 2001.5s? Can I go ahead and "order" a 2002 now? Has production of the 2001.5 already stopped?

By the way, I appreciate everyone's contributions here, especially vwguild's. Thanks.
  • sistblsistbl Member Posts: 6
    LEFT A DEPOSIT FOR 2002.5 PASSAT WAGON SILVER STONE WITH BLACK LEATHER 5 SPEED MANUAL MY DEALER FOUND AT ANOTHER SECOND DEALER. WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WAITING FOR ME WHEN I RETURNED FROM VACATION. WHEN I RETURNED THE CAR WAS "ACCIDENTLY SOLD" BY THE SECOND DEALER. NOW I'M TOLD THIS COMBO IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. ANY OUT THERE IN VW LAND?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I found a GLX yesterday.
    Thanks for your input. We'll look at the car again and try out a couple different seats. Thanks
  • hosemanhoseman Member Posts: 2
    My new 2001 Passat V6 wagon is displaying the "Emissions Workshop" message whenever I start the car. Before I obediently trek to the dealer to have this diagnosed, I thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced this problem. Is this the start of a service nightmare, or a common bug with a simple fix? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    The model was a GLS,1.8l, monsoon, cold weather, and luxury package.
  • cbus_19cbus_19 Member Posts: 6
    That's incredibly frustrating. "Accidentally" sold means someone walked in willing to pay sticker or more I bet. The configuration you're looking for is very hard to find right now. I asked about the same configuration with gray cloth months ago. My dealer showed me how he searches for cars and every one even close to what I wanted in the Midwest region was presold or special ordered. Very few manual wagons. We ended up getting one with Tip because we couldn't wait for the 2002s. At the time he did find one Mojave Beige/black cloth GLS 5speed lux/monsoon/cw but that was it. Don't know if leather will improve your chances of finding a car but I doubt it. If you can wait I'd put in an order.
    I have a '99 Eurovan with a VR6 engine. My check engine light went on, and when I called my
    dealer service dept., they told me to make sure the gas cap was on tight. I took the cap off and
    put it back on, being careful to fully tighten it. After a few starts the check engine light went
    off and hasn't gone on again. Don't know if this will help, but it's an example of how sensitive
    (and misleading) engine warning sensors can be.
  • sczechsczech Member Posts: 2
    A few weeks ago I reported on this board that I have been waiting for delivery of my Passat GLS wagon (1.8T manual transmission) since October 10th of last year. Thanks to VWguild for encouraging me to be patient and to keep waiting. Well, this morning my dealer called with the good news that the car finally did arrive - I will pick it up this Saturday. The Passat wagon in its basic version is one of the best deals around - I saw it for the first time in 1999 while vacationing in Great Britain. Indeed this car is very popular in Europe and perhaps this might explain why there are so few of them shipped to the US. Since I basically do not need this car, I could afford to wait that long. Still, 7 months is an awfully long time. What I still find puzzling is the fact that more than one month passed between arrival of the car in the port (Delaware) and actual delivery on the dealer's lot (NYC). It takes less than one week to make the car, and it takes three weeks to ship it accross the Atlantic, but the last few miles seem to be the most time consuming. I was told that the 4 weeks in the port were spent on testing various components of the car (emissions, transmission etc.). Could that be an indication of the poor production quality of these cars in Germany? I guess they spent the 4 weeks in the port fixing all the quality control problems they have at VW in Germany. What else could they possibly have done during those 4 weeks in the port? I am still puzzled - 4 weeks is an awfully long time to test a car.

I apologize for the long posting. Robert
    I've been waiting close to a year (over a year If you count the first two attempts to buy a car)
    for a gls wagon with leather and no LUX pack
    So 7 months is a dream!!!

I don't think it's takes that long just for testing, there is probably a week or two of figuring out what car goes where, and the a couple of days of just goofing around.......
    Well...Congratulations!!!! Go Rutgers!!!!

Actually, the trip across the pond takes about a week...the Port Prep Process
    typically takes about 11-12 days...now, that is what I am familiar with, based
    on how things work at the Port of San Diego. I have never visited our Boston
    facility or Delaware, but I would suspect that the additional time might just be a
    part the normal Tri-State area bottleneck...from off-loading thru the PPC and even
    in-transit to Dealers.

Another component could be a *Parts Hold*...The Port process is indeed rigorous
    and thorough and 95% move through the system in the time frame previously mentioned,
    but occasionally a part needs to be replaced and sometimes that part has to be
    shipped from Germany. I had this occur just last month with a EuroVan Weekender
    that needed a new Steering wheel...a rare part failure that has taken this unit down
    for a month...

But fear not...you'll be cruising the ole NJ Turnpike in no time...now, that is somethig to
    look forward to...
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    We would like to buy a nice station wagon, with one criteria being that it would be a reasonable size for a 70 lbs Lab in the rear behind the rear seats. it seemed that the passat had the rear floor lower, plus the very back window more strait up ( vs the new 2002 MB C which is very sloppy) and thus have more ample space. Please share your experiences and ranking the top 3 choices.
  • sniper5sniper5 Member Posts: 9
    Looking very hard at a GLX wagon. However, everyone says they are hard to find. Two things trouble me. THe need for premium fuel and no factory cd player. can one burn midgrade gas or even regular 87 octane without any problems. Our local dealor does not have any info on the 2002. Does anyone know when they are due and any changes other that the type on the title?
    89 Octane will be just fine for your GLX Wagon...No *running changes*
    scheduled with the exception of the addition of a new Head Unit
    to begin week 32 (end of July). M/Y 2002 in Production now...
  • jager31jager31 Member Posts: 6
    Is week 32 a 2002 or a 2001.5. I would think if they were going to put the new double DIN head unit in the 2002's they'd start with the first 2002 they put out, but who knows! Is the production week when it's started or finished? Although, I'd take the new Audi 3.0 V6 instead of the indash CD... Thanks for the info.
  • sniper5sniper5 Member Posts: 9
    Vwguild and Jager 31 talk of a new head. How is this different from the 5valve per cyl now in use?
    Thanks VW guild for the clarification on the octane requirement. I am a new member of this site and am currently reading all the past postings. I have had two older 60's beetles and three rabbits. Can't wait to get my new Passat/.
    Running changes mean just...there is no interruption in the
    Production cycle...2002 units are in production now; the replace-
    ment Head Unit whether it be the one Jamie profiled over on
    the vortex or an AM/FM/CD will be become part of the flow
    beginning in August...
  • jager31jager31 Member Posts: 6
    Sniper, the new head unit is referring to a new in dash CD player that is replacing the standard tape deck unit. It's not reffering to heads on an engine, sorry for the confusion. I'm in europe (military), and I was looking at taking delivery of a Passat wagon the first part of september, but I want to make sure I get the new CD player.

VWguild: I've read that the VW production in Germany shuts down in August, Germans love their vacation, is that true? When you say "part of the flow in August" do you mean cars available in August or those starting production after July?
    Thanks again!
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    I hear that GLX wagons are very hard to come by. We are considering getting a 2001.5 or 2002 4motion GLX Wagon but the dealers we visited don't even have one to look at or test drive. If we decide to factory order or let the dealer locate one, what can we expect pricewise? Is there any room for negotiation or do we have to pay MSRP? We are in Connecticut.
    After July ...Week 32
    Was told by my dealer the 2002 models will be arriving in June. Anyone else hear this surprising news?
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    I have a 2001.5 GLS V6 wagon with the Weathertech cargo liner and divider. My 100lb german shepherd rides in back with no problems. The only thing I wish is the the very rear windows would open a bit but none of the wagons seem to have this feature.

So far the car has been flawless and I'm very pleased with it. However you're somparing cars in different price segments. Although a fully loaded GLX 4-Motion can list in the low 30's the Passat mainly competes in the 23-30k segment. I don't know the exact cost of the new 2002 MB C class wagon, I imagine the base model will start in the 35k range and with an option or two will go into the 40's. Same with a 525T. Other wagons in this price range include Audi A4's &A6's, Saab 9-5's and the Volvo V70's. Then there's the MB E class around 50k:)

I love my Passat and believe it competes very well in it's class but if I could afford it, I'd be awful temped by some of the Audi & BMW models or even the MB. Before I bought my Passat I was seriously considering a used MB E class wagon. It all depends on your budget, needs amd taste.
    See post #247