Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• mizeumlmizeuml Member Posts: 50
    As for the extended warranty through Warranty Gold, it is not too late to get a warranty from them. You should still be able to get their top of the line coverage which I think is the Diamond Plan. You may end up paying a little more than what I paid since you have more miles. You are better to buy the plan sooner than later even though the plan will not really start until the GM warranty runs out. Use my posting above and see what kind of rates they offer. Hopefully they will be reasonable because with the problems that I experienced on my '99 Montana and what other folks have experienced, it is good insurance to have. I like the peace of mind that if a problem occurs, I just take it in and don't worry about the cost to fix it.

As for the temp error, my '99 Montana started doing the same thing right before I traded it. The van had 75k miles on it. The thermometer is very small and is located between the radiator and the front bumper. You can see it when the hood is up. Try unplugging the 2 pin connector and look at the terminals. Make sure they are not corroded and then plug it back in. Mine were not corroded, but it started working again after I plugged it back in. Maybe the connection was loose. I traded it before I could have the dealer look at it. Worse case the thermometer may be bad.

Good luck.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    MIZEUML,
    Thanks for the response, I'll check it out.
  • teddyoteddyo Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Montana with 90,000 miles that I purchased new. Dual air, leather seats with buckets in rear. It has been a pleasure to drive in town and on the road and until recently, problems have been mainly minor and showed up in the first 2 years. Headlight fixture replacements due to condensation, power window switches, electric seat motor, all while under factory warran.

The Coolant problem showed up several months ago with the low coolant light coming on after 20 miles or so of driving even after topping off the radiator. I did spend $1,200 on the 100K mile warr. when I bought it so hopefully the coolant leak fix, another window switch, the slow rising drivers window, another headlight full of condensation and the radio display that only works half the time will be covered. Have never had a problem with the electric door, engine or transmission, air shocks or brakes. The first set of replacement tires are good for another 20k miles. Have used 100% synthetic oil (Mobil 1)since the first oil change. Good info on this message board about the coolant leak. Thanks
  • bprice4bprice4 Member Posts: 3
    My light is on and the manual says to turn on the ignition key and push the brake pedal 3 times slowly within 5 seconds ( dont know how to do it all in 5 seconds) and then turn off the ignition. Last time I had to take it to the dealer (big pain) to get them to do it. Service Mgr tried with no luck. Any ideas?
  • omy1ronomy1ron Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I wanted to know if anybody has experienced a problem with their automatic sliding door (left passenger door). When it closes, it inches back a bit causing the open door alarm to sound. I have to open and re-close the door again. Sometimes, when this happens, I had to open and close the door several times before the door closes properly. I have a 1999 Montana.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks.
    Omy
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Its like you described,no special trick, lets go, switch on, push and release the pedal 3 times,turn switch off trust me,very easy to do in 5 sec... you shouldn't have any problem. What year you Montana ?
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    I believe it's the throttle that you have to depress three times in the first 5 seconds, not the brake.
    Of course it's the throttle !!!
  • pvnguyenpvnguyen Member Posts: 21
    I've been a loyal customer of GM. I currently own a 2002 Buick Rendezvous, 2000 Pontiac Montana, 1998 Buick Regal, and 1996 Chevy Lumina. I think everyone should know that GM sucks! I replaced the Lumina's engine last year due to a coolant leak at 65K ($5.5K). Earlier this year, I replaced the gaskets on the Regal due to a coolant leak ($750) and this past week, I replaced the the Montana's intake manifold gaskets for $700. Apparently, there is a known problem with the gaskets and dex cool coolant combo. I'm now using the regular green stuff. If you don't believe me, check this site out:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?GMcnsmrs&1

Sell your GM car while you can...

• texmex3000texmex3000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Pontiac Transport w/ a 3.4L V6. I have 50k on the engine and so far have nothing but positive comments, although last weekend ...
    After restarting the vehicle after a 100+ mile journey on a hot day the engine seemed to sputter / hesitate. (Kind of what you would expect if one cylinder wasn't firing.) The vehicle had decreased power. No noticable smells or fumes from the exhaust. Check engine light flashing. Made it home with this problem and next day engine light steady on going to work but no hesitation. Going back home from work, no check engine light and engine running smoothly, power back to normal. Has anyone experienced such a problem?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    A "Flashing" check engine light is an indication of an engine missfire. Which is just what you had. The "Steady" light would indicate a failure not causing missfire. Again matches the way the car was driving. No light, no problem. The system will set memory codes for whatever turned the lights on. I recall seeing a post that there could be more then a 100 codes. A shop can read the codes and advise from there. Post back if you have the codes read.
  • jpwisemanjpwiseman Member Posts: 11
    I have to say after writing post #701 saying I'd pass on any future Montana's I had to change my mind. With the $4000 rebate, $2500 on my GM rebate card and a $1200 owner loyalty coupon for the problems I went through on my '99 Montana I realized I could get into an '02 for less than what my payments were on the '99 with 82k miles. I did buy an extended GM warranty when the dealer came almost to the same cost as Warranty Gold.
    My friends laugh because our old and new Montana's look identical with the exception of the On-Star Antenna and different tires you cannot tell the difference. My wife and I love the dark blue body with the champagne lower body cladding.
    Oh well, be careful what you say, you may end up eating your words someday.
    I had a similar experience with our Montana's. We had a '99 Montana that had lots of problems. At times I was so mad I swore I would not buy another. But after looking at other vehicles, we liked the van better than a car and an SUV, it just had more room inside. We qualified for the GM supplier discount, $3750 rebate and $1500 on GM card, so it was hard not to buy another GM with all the discounts. I hassled for a good trade in price and when they finally agreed to give me what I wanted, we drove off in an '02 Montana. Our '99 had 74000 miles and we got into the new one for about the same monthly payment. The '02 has the Onstar and Montana Vision. Other than that they look and drive the same. We are not getting as good as gas mileage on the '02 though. It kind of puzzles me because they should be the same. I am happy to say the '02 has not had any problems after 9000 miles. The only complaint I have is the oil pan gets a film of oil between oil changes on the bottom side. We had the same problem on the '99 and there is nothing you can do to stop it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this van has a better reliability record than the old. I did buy the Warranty Gold 100k mile warranty. It was $750 lower than the GM warranty. GM wanted $1800 for their 100k $0 deductible and I got WG down to $1050. I hope I never have to use it, but the intake manifold gasket was replaced on our '99 and I'll be watching it on this one.
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    Okay, I see where you remove a screw in front to loosen the front part of the assembly but how do you get the back out?

TIA,

Phil
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I'm not sure if you're doing the front, ones, but I'll assume so. Just unscrew the thumb screw things on the radiator support - they hold both the headlight and the side. Take the whole headlight thing out and then replace the bulb, its better to not touch the glass part with fingers. Reinstall in reverse. You don't even need tools.

DD
  • omy1ronomy1ron Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

The Low Coolant indicator of my 1999 Montana does not turn off immediately. It takes about 10 minutes before it turns off. I have filled the coolant receptacle to make sure it is not low and the indicator still does not turn off immediately.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced this. What is the fix?

Thanks.
    Omy
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The low coolant sensor is in the side of the radiator. When cold remove the radiator cap and make sure the radiator is full. Then have your mechanic check for the cause of the possible coolant loss. Intake manifold gasket is a possible cause based on posts here. Also your profile says California, the Gasket should be warranty for 36 months or 50,000 miles, so you might be under. Good luck and please post back with any info.
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    I started to do just what you suggested but when I saw everything was loosening up, I chickened out. I thought I would mess up the headlight's alignment. I'm glad to hear it won't and I don't have to do anything weird, like go through the wheel well. Thanks DD. I appreciate your guidance.

Phil
  • jeff_servissjeff_serviss Member Posts: 8
    The airbag light on our 1998 transport Montana with 53000 miles, more often than not, is on after startup. Sometimes I'm able to shut the car off and restart to make the light go on. I remember reading something about this on this townhall but no reasons or solutions. Does anyone have any info on this. I really don't want to have to pay the dealer any more money.
    We had the front brakes replaced(pads and rotors), however, the brake pedal is really low and it is sometimes scary to stop quickly. The place that did the brakes says the van is fine. Any ideas what this could be? I'm going to take it somewhere else this week to get looked at. By the way, the pedal was low before I had it fixed but I just assumed that it was because I needed new pads.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a couple similar posts last year and just as you said, no apparent fix. New module perhaps?

mizeuml Aug 20, 2001 6:06am

Anyone?

Steve, Host
  • rylesryles Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if you can add the power driver side door after-the-fact. I'm getting ready to buy a 2001 and am wondering if I can add the pwr door and about what it would cost to do so.

Also, would it be wise, and possible, to add the towing package after-the-fact if I'm only going to be doing occasional towing? I'll probably exceed the 2,000 pound stock rating, but not for huge distances and not very often (couple of times a year). The van has the self leveling suspension, just not the "towing package".

One more question. Has anyone found a low profile center console that will hold a small cooler for between the front seats?

Ryles
    We had this problem three times on our '99 Montana. You can see the above posting link given by Steve the host for our first two fixes. The third time the dealer replaced both seat belt retractors with a kit of some kind. The kit was $85 for each side and the labor was $65 for a total bill of $245 which was covered under the GMPP 100k extended warranty I had. We traded the van shortly after having this fixed, but the Airbag light seemed to be fixed after this.

We had the problem three times and the dealer fixed it three different ways, the last being the most expensive.

Hope this helps.
    I'm taking the van in this week to get the airbag light and coolant leak fixed. Hopefully both will be covered under my extended warranty through www.warrantydirect.com. The brochure says airbags aren't covered but it sounds like this isn't strictly an airbag fix so maybe the dealer can convince them to pay for it. Either way, I'll let you know what they fix.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    We had a similar problem with my wife's former 1997 Tracer. The extended warranty did not cover the airbag and, by extension, the airbag electrical system to include the light. Check alldata.com to see if there might be a TSP for the warning light.
    The coolant leak was fixed for $750(thank god for my extended warranty). They needed to replace the lower intake gasket.
    The airbag light was coming on because of a failing right hand pretensioner in the seatbelt, cost me $280(not covered by extended warranty).
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Jeff,

Do you have GMPP? Why wasn't a failed component covered by your warranty??

Dan
    I have www.warrantydirect.com for my extended warranty. They do not cover saftey restraint components. This warranty covers everything else but apparently they don't find that an important component of a car???
  • dave231dave231 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone figured out how to fix the window from having to help it up - I have greased the tracks but after a couple of days it goes back to normal. Does anyone else's van smell funny - I pulled up my carpet up and found a least a quart of water and mildew done there? (up front by driver and pass.) I have now sealed ever possible crack to keep water out. thanks
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone replaced the engine air filter. I unhooked the clips but can't get it apart from there. I'm afraid if I pull too hard I'm going to break something. Is there a trick to getting at it?
  • gpigggpigg Member Posts: 3
    I too had noticed an occasional drip on the floor from my 98 Montana. Suspecting the intake gasket, I took it to the dealer several months ago. They couldn't find anything then. So I kept an eye on it, and sure enough it still dripped. So last week I took it in again (96K miles, & 5 years so time to change antifreeze anyway)asking to have the system checked for leaks, this time they found not only the gasket leaking, but they also found the water pump seal failed. I'm very very happy that I spent the money for the 6 year 100K extended warranty when we bought it in late 97! Took them 3 days to fix it even supplied a rental car at no charge, and so far it seems ok. Total cost to me, $200 deductible. Thanks to everyone that has posted here concerning this problem. You sure saved me. Really the only problem I've ever had with it, so even though its' not a repair you'd like to have, can't really say all the bad things others have said about GM products. It's been a good van and it sure is peppy.
  • gregf4gregf4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help message #730. I had numerous problems with my 1998 Transport. The head gasket went, two transmissions, broken rings on a cylinder, numerous electrical problems. I called Pontiac and complained as I was serious about switching to the Honda. In a 15 minute phone call, customer service verified what I was saying and issued me a $1,500 loyalty coupon. I didn't realize there was a loyalty coupon available!

I bought the all wheel drive 2003 Montana. It has much better control on snow and ice than the front wheel drive. I would have trouble going up a hill in 2" of snow with the 1998 front wheel drive transport. This will climb a hill with 6" of snow with no problem.
  • montanathundermontanathunder Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2002 Pontiac Montana Thunder 7 months back, and I have not seen another Thunder on the road at all. It's blue black metallic with the lower charcoal grey facsia, two-tone leather upholstery, and the very sharp looking 16" chrome rims. Does anyone on this board own one as well?

Thanks
    One member (railroadcpa) ordered one in Oct. of '01 but didn't report back after (if?) he took delivery. Pretty rare bird you have there - congrats on the ride!

Steve, Host
  • montanathundermontanathunder Member Posts: 6
    Here is a link to a few pictures of the Thunder.. I own my own detailing business, so of course it is always better than showroom condition, even in the dead of winter.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/montana_thunder

• bildadbildad Member Posts: 3
    rbb2,
    You're going to have fun installing that new air filter. I have a 2001 Montana and recently installed a new air filter. There is a rubber plenum attached to the filter housing and the intake. It has two screw clamps on it. The filter housing has two clamps you can see from the top. Unsnap both of them. The bottom of the housing does not have any clamps and stays in place via a slot fitting. Loosen both screw clamps. Separate the plenum from the intake and from the filter housing. Don't try to remove it completely from the engine compartment. All you want to do is create enough space to slip out the filter. You will then have just enough room to reach down and remove the old filter and insert the new filter. Be sure the plenum is properly refitted, tighten the screw clamps, re-snap the filter housing and you're in business. The manual calls for replacement of the filter every 3 years. You wouldn't believe how dirty it was after one year. bildad
    One place I suggest you check closely is inside the rear panel where the jack is stored. If the carpet is wet in that area, you need to open the rear hatch and check the rubber boots at the top of the door opening. Take some rubber sealant and reseal the boots where they make contact with the body. Water can very easily enter in this area and drain down into the panel. Although this is an easy fix, my local Pontiac dealer was perplexed. Hope this helps. bildad
    My coolant level hasn't dropped, and I can find no evidence of coolant leaks in the area of the intake manifold and water pump.
    On occasion when I run the heater blower, I can detect a slight "sweet" smell coming from the vents. It doesn't do it all the time. I suspected a pin hole in the heater core, but the dealer couldn't find any evidence of that. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this odor? Thanks. bildad
  • motero99motero99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Transport Montana I bought new. It has been solid. A few months ago, my wife drove to a soccer game with the lights on. She left the lights on for a couple of hours. When she tried to start the car, the battery was dead. She left it for 20 minutes to make a call, came back and it started right up. But the overhead driver information console stopped working. We used this to track mileage, temperature, and direction. When we start the car, we see scrambled characters like it is trying to start up, but then the screen goes blank. The local dealer farms out all electronics and suggests we get a new console. Has anyone experienced this, any ideas short of getting a new console or just going on without it? Thanks
  • motero99motero99 Member Posts: 2
    In addition to a 97 Montana, I bought a used 987 Transport with all the bells and whistles. It has been a problem since the third week of ownership, unlike our other Montana. Intake manifold gasket went first. Then the gas gauge would periodically stick at full. Later, a wheel sensor on the traction control system went bad. Now, if we make a sharp turn the lights go on. The power door has stopped working. The dealer thinks there is a short in the power door motor. If we clean the contacts, it will work for a day or two, then goes back to not working. Any ideas on the electrical issues? Our local dealer does not do electronics. Thanks
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    Our '98 Transport has been good except for an intermittment power door problem which was finally fixed after the battery ran down twice over a period of about 12 months. Turned out there was a short in the wiring harness underneath the front passenger carpeting and the power sliding door needs good electric's to work perfectly. I also tried cleaning the contacts but that turned out to be a red-herring. The repair was made just out of warranty and GM picked up all the tab except for the new battery that was needed. Of course, I had to complain on the spot to get GM to help-out. In our favor was the fact that we always have our oil & filter changed at the dealer so they did recognize our patronage.
    The Transport is my wifes vehicle, I just bought a new GMC Envoy XL SLT with 4 WD. Our Transport has Traction Control and it handles terrific in the ice and snow. I have good peace of mind knowing that my wife is safe in a good vehicle like that. We've taken the Transport on lots of vacations and trips and it is so comfortable and quiet, gets over 25mpg on the highway too.
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    All,
    We own a '98 Transport, bought new. Only 48K on it and still quite happy with ours but I've read some posts about tranny and engine problems. Let me tell you that the grass is not greener on the other side. A good friend at work had to have his tranny replaced on a two-year old Chrysler. He and his wife not hate Chryslers. So what can a person do?
  • billdelpbilldelp Member Posts: 5
    I took my 99 Montana for service this week and they noticed the manifold coolant leak. Is there a GM recall for this? So far the montana has been reliable but with 70,000 miles and the leak appearing is it time to move on? Thanks for your help on this board, otherwise I'd not even have known about this problem.
    Do you really want to ditch a car with only 70000 miles for a gasket kit ? For maybe 1 or 2 car payments, you can fix your van and enjoying it for another 3/4 years.
  • billdelpbilldelp Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your reply, is it a manifold gasket or head gasket?
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    I have just purchased used Pontiac Montana 2000. The minivan has 40000 miles and still has its original tires. After 55m/h I can feel moderate driving wheel vibration and some light vibrations of the vehicle itself. The tires are pretty worn.
    Is this possible that this vibration happens due to the wornness of my tires or it can be another reason for this?
    Can somebody recommend me the best tires to buy for this vehicle?
    I am not really worry about this vibration problem since I have got an extended warranty for 3 years and the dealership location is really very convenient for me. I can walk there. Appreciate any recommendation
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    I have just posted my message #764 regarding vibrations.
    I would like to add that I feel that this minivan is extremely not stable on the road. I never drove minivan before, so I found the ride is not very pleasant. I need to put an extra effort in order to keep this vehicle within the lane. I also feel side wind very strong.
    No way to compare to my Corolla.
    I think that may be worn tires contributes a lot to my stability problem.
    I wanted to give this minivan to my wife, but now I am not sure that she’ll be able to handle it.
    Any suggestions?
    New tires :-) If the original tires are on it they are likely shot since most manufacturers go cheap on the original tires. An alignment may be in order too.

In addition to suggestions you'll get in here, check out the Tires, tires, tires discussion.

I have Michelin X Radial Plus tires (from Costco) on my van. They're a lot pricier now than when I got them, so I'm going to shop around hard when they need replacing.

Steve, Host

• jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    I agree, since you need new tires anyway, get 'em and see if it gets rid of vibration

as for side winds, this is just inherent with any tall, high-profile vehicle; its basically a big, tall box and will get blown around a bit in high winds

you should try driving a 1975 vw camper across wyoming in 70 - 80 mph winds! talk about a white knuckle experience! lol
  • rylesryles Member Posts: 19
    Typically vibrations in the sterring wheel would be caused by front tires being out of balance, in the "body" would be rear tires out of balance. I would replace the tires. 40,000 on OEM tires would be enough to get me to replace them. I agree with Steve on the alignment. Four new tires, balanced, alignment, all your problems should go away. You should be able to do this for around $500+-.

Ryles