Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• magneezomagneezo Member Posts: 15
    I had a similar problem in my 2003 SE Wagon
    The front seats are tricky-especially the drivers seat.
    I keep my seat 3 notches from the rear(leg-room adjustment), then use the seat crank(up/down),-three whole turns downward, and then set the 'seatback' until it's comfortable.
    If you work at it, you'll find putting the 'seatback' at a comfortable level easier if you take the time to play with its adjustment.....at the same time ....adjusting the crank handle (up-down) until you feel the level just right for your back.
    I have a friend with back problems swear up and down that the passenger seat is one of the most comfortable car seats he's ever sat in. He drives a Ram Pickup.
    I had to replace the front rotors on my 2003 SE Wagon at 22,000 miles. Ford took care of that under warranty. I had to pay for pads and labor.
    Car now has 35,000 miles on it, and the rear brakes have not needed to be serviced yet.
    The newer discs are definitely bigger, but the scarring issue remains the same. After 5,000 miles, the things started to get wear. Ford has an issue with these brakes. I also decided to go up a tire size on the 15 inch multispokes. We have Douglas Performance GT-H 205/60/15 tires on there now,(same size on my Taurus) and the ride is almost that of Crown Victoria stature.....well, as smooth as a Focus could get ....let's just say I don't feel the bumps in the road as much.
    The GT-H tires are quieter than the RSA, and besides...RSA's have NO MILEAGE WARRANTY (OUCH)!!
    These have 40,000 treadwear warranty at least.
    Yes you should be able to convert that w/ no problem.
    You can get a Blaupunkt MP3/CD unit for the Focus on E-Bay for cheap.
    The trays and electical connections on your LX should be the same as any other Focus.
    Get the MP3!
    I had a rattle too.
    Make sure your license plate is screwed down WITH ALL 4 BOLTS IN PLACE.
    If you only use the top 2, the bottom of the plate rattles uncontrollably and is a real bother.
    Also, the hatch door needs to be closed with a tad more effort. This seems to really allow the car to be as quiet as possible.
    Hopes this helped.
  • swordsswords Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know if i can remove the black dots above the read view mirrow so that the cups on my radar detector will stick
  • swordsswords Member Posts: 3
    i requested more info from the ford web site, on the last page there is a coupon for a extra $500 off on a new car, my dealer took off the 500 so i ended up 1000 off the sticker and 3500 in cash back. i could have done better with a different dealer but wanted this car.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    So far the PZEV on our 05 Focus has been excellent, easy starting etc. It does have a weird flat spot that very narrow, that it can be ignored , I think it is at about 2000 - 2500 rpm this occurs only when you floor this car. The engine is very torquey for a 130hp 2 liter in california trim. If you are in the market for a 03-04 Focus wagon, even better, they are equipped with the 2.3 liter PZEV. As for the front end of the 05, it is suppose to be a copy of the European only Mondeo. I wish I owned a Focus wagon as the family wagon, but I need 6 passenger capacity, luckily its not all adults, so I don't need the biggest SUV.
  • jazvanjazvan Member Posts: 106
    I almost bought an 04 SE wagon 2.3 with ABS last year for 12,995. What a deal, and now I'm double sorry I didn't get it, but it did have long starts which is what scared me.
    I am also Cal, so it was PZEV - actually I think all 04 2.3's were PZEV. . I'm reading at another site that there are some long cold start problems and even cold non-starts on the 05 5-sp MX PZEV and Ford acknowledges the problem and is working on a fix. I need to see this resolved before I step up to the plate. The flat spot you mentioned is pretty well known and not a big deal for me. I liked that 2.3 but I think the new 2.0 is not a bad choice, cuz I'm gaining 2 MPG and it does have the same updated heads so it is defintely a cut above the old 2.0 Zetec. Front end styling - I still don't like it but noticed it's not too bad with the ST grille which is all painted instead of chrome, so I can always get an ST grille.

- Jaz
  • focusguy3focusguy3 Member Posts: 1
    2000 SE wagon 100,175 miles, heater/air blower motor only works on high. Normally the A/C light comes on whenever you have it in defrost. This light does not come on when blower is on, but does when turned on alone. No, the A/C doesn't actually come on, only the light. All other electrical seems to be okay. Out of work and out of warranty, any self-help would be appreciated. Otherwise a great car bought new. :confuse:
  • nickpsnickps Member Posts: 18
    Most likely it is just the motor or your blower or a fuse. Your airconditioing may also need a recharge.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I rented a 2005 wagon in BC, Canada for about a week or so. It is a smart little car ( very roomy for a small wagon) however the new engine is clearly down on power compared to my 2004 ZTS( 2.3 liter model). I also appreciate the more "edgy" dashboard of the older model. The only improvement on the 05 is the traction control which was not necessary during my interval with the vehicle.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gaspoorgaspoor Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. Got a nice deal on a used 2002 with the 6 disc - but no owner's manual. I can't figure out how to get a disc in the thing - with the possibility that the changer is jammed. Any advice?
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    if you goto http://www.motorcraftservice.com and click on OWNER INFORMATION in the left-hand menu, you can download a PDF of your owners manual.

I don't know if it'll help you or not...
  • penguinfrostpenguinfrost Member Posts: 5
    I am picking up a Focus ZXW Wagon tomorrow and I understand there are new incentives going into place effective tomorrow (Saturday).

Does anyone have information regardin these incentives? Particularly, have they added a "Dealer Incentive?" My dealer says he will give me the rebated effective tomorrow, but if there is a Dealer Incentive, he just might decide to pocket it himself unless I know the specifics.

Thanks for any info you might provide!
    This may be too late... but I just saw $2500 in a newspaper ad. It was $2000 up unitil now.

Historically, we can expect it to progress to 3K or more as the model year comes to an end.

Jaz
  • dennis11dennis11 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO,

COULD ANYONE TELL ME THE FUSE FOR THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER COULD BE AT. I THINK...i HAVE FOUND THE FUSE BOX, UNDERNEATH THE HOOD, BUT I HAVE NO OWNERS MANUAL AND THE FUSE BOX IS NOT LISTED. THRE COULD BE ANOTHER FUSE BOX SOMEWHERE, NOT SURE,

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATEDD

dENNIS
  • lilcynlilcyn Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. Have a 2001 Focus wagon/63K which just started to sprout rust all over. Particularly inside door frames on body and around the rear hatch window. Just surface, however I think the window could turn into a problem. Took to dealer body shop knowing it would be highest repair estimate and they told me $975 and out of commision with no loaner for a week! Not an option. Will check a few other shops but ...I also started searching the net on how to work on the rust myself. In that search I came upon new car deals which listed Dodge, Subaru and Toyota all giving 05 models rust warranties AT LEAST 60 months or 100K miles. Which got me to thinking that even though I live in VT that maybe my car shouldn't be rusting at all!

What are anyone's thoughts on this? And does anyone have info on how I might be able to do work myself. All spots right now 1 1/2" or less in diameter. Thanks! and hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend.
  • steamingsteaming Member Posts: 1
    2000 Ford Focus wagon, I want to juice the A/C with 134A but cannot locate the low-pressure port of the A/C system. Where is it???
    I finally found a 2004 2.3L ZTW 5-speed loaded and with low miles and snapped it up. IMO it is superior to the 05. It has significantly more hp and balance shafts. It is smooth like a V6 and has more than adequate power (Car and Driver got a 7.8 second 0-60 on a 5sp 04 wagon with the 2.3.). Ironically, I drove an 05 right before driving the 04 that I bought and that really confirmed my opinion. Shortly after buying the ZTW I did a marathon drive of aprox 900 miles in one long day (about 13 hours) and the seats were not a problem. It does have leather and the lumbar adjuster. The trick for me is to lower the bottom seat nearly to the max and then adjust the back. With the bottom in a high position it's not comfortable (for me anyway). I am concerened that the passenger seat bottom is not adjustable and it is fixed in a high position.

I was hoping to hit 30 mpg on my marathon drive at about 75 mph. I was really stoked when I hit 36.5 on my first full tank. On the second tank I was using the AC most of the time and had some long climbs and I averaged 33.5. The calculated average was 34.98 mpg over 2 tanks. So with steady CC highway driving the MPG can be really good. In mixed driving though it looks like 29-30 is about tops. On the highway I hit over 400 miles per tank with plenty of fuel left.

Before buying the ZTW I had been waiting for the intro of the Mazda5, but it became clear that the 2.3L Focus Wagon made much more sense. Same cargo volume, wider cargo bay (at it's narrowest point), and EPA 33 MPG vs 28 for the MZ5. In addition they have esentially the same engine but the Focus is much lighter. I am guessing the MZ5 will do 0-60 in 9.0 at best. Initial reports indicate it is marginally powered.
    Also the MZ5 is a high rever, spinning 4,000 rpm at 76 mph. AT 76 mph my ZTW was under 3,000 rpm's.

-Jaz
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Focus makes an awfull lot of sense. I wish they had rear headrests
  • whahappanwhahappan Member Posts: 69
    I have an '02 ZTW and it has rear headrests. I'm in Canada, but I don't think that should matter. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    I am considering buying a new focus wagon. does any one out there have any experience with the roof rack that comes with the vehicle. i am looking for something that would carry, two 14' kayaks. I know the dealer will say it will carry them, but does anyone have any real life experience with the roof rack. thanks.
    I just bought an 04 and will tell you what I do know. Up until 03 the rack came with the cross bars that have fittings that slide in a channel in the rails (permanent mounted portion that runs front to back). The 04 does not come with the cross bars and you can find them for about $180. I would guess the 05 is like the 04. The rack was rated 250 lbs, about twice what most rack are rated. Once you get cross bars in there it is quite sturdy. I do not know what attachments are available that would clamp onto the Ford crossbars (which are kind of thin).

What I see most folks do is buy the Yakima or Thule crossbars that clamp onto the rails - these actually are on top of the rails and extend a bit past the rails on both sides. Maybe not so elegant looking but it provides a wider base and you can buy all the Yakima or Thule attachments you want for skis, Kayaks, Mountain Bike etc. I think this is actually one of the better platforms and I think Kayaks would not be a problem at all.
    Actually come to think of it, you will want this wide platform for 2 Kayaks and if you like, the cross bars could go out almost as wide as the car

WHat I am doing: I already have a ROla rack and am adapting it it to bolt into the channels so it will be a sleek aero type of deal, but I have to spend a little time fabing the bits to make it work. I have a racing skull it will eventually get up on the rack and I hope to get a 2 man ocean Kayak up there as well. IN summary the focus rails are very good and one of the many reasons I went with the Focus.

PS: I would encourage anyone to find a low miles 03 or 04 with the 2.3 and at least try it out. If you want an automatic they are easy to find. If you want a stick it will be very hard to locate one though. They have fully transferable warrantys and the 2.3 is one sweet motor - a cut above the 2.0. It has balance shafts as well as the extra torque and hp and still gets good MPG. Let us know what you do on the rack....

-Jaz
  • thaicatthaicat Member Posts: 19
    Hi jazvan; Am currently debating between the Mazda5 and a Focus Wagon. A very important criteria for me is the cargo volume. Can you tell me where you got the figures to compare the two, as I can not find the volume for the Mazda at all?

Thanks
    Thaicat
    All this schmeal over the 2.3 motor. Yes, it is faster than a zetec, but little do most people realize is that the Zetec becomes that much more powerful with 93 octane fuel. This engine actually benefits from premium grade fuel (Hence the Amoco ads...)Besides, it's the only fuel allowed in the SVT. Must be a reason for that. I've read the 2003 Focus came with a redesigned fuel injection system - if this is the case it explains why my car acts so damn fast when I punch it. As far as the cross bars go, my 2003 came w/ them standard....but after reading the brochure and realizing this was just a std. wagon item, it looked a bit unfair for the ZX3 owners (and so on) to have to purchase theirs. Supposedly someone at Ford must've seen that and decided to make ya pay $180 to get them. I paid very small on the '03, only because Ford wanted to get rid of them fast. The dealer said "take it home tonight...regardless"
    After all was said and done, it was the best deal ever.
    Only thing my SE does not have is the Tilt/Cruise. It came with a regional program that included fleet options such as premium 15" alloys/cargo cover/CD-MP3.
    I added foglights-oem Ford-and it's now just what I wanted.
    I couldn't part with it. Besides, there were no SVT's in my area then, and the 2.3 was only a Cali option. Boo.
    P.S. I've noticed how bare bones the SE Wagon has become for 2005. They've even taken off the color coded side moldings, and that Jetta dashboard's gotta go.
    I know there is this reviewer that put it to shame, but the old dash is what sold me on it. I had never seen anything like it in an American car.
    There were some initial cargo #s on the 5 on the Edmunds Mazda5 forum under Future Cars and I recall it was within 1 cu ft of the official Focus number which is about 75 cu ft ( I don't have the exact number at the moment.) Since then I think the official Mazda5 # has gone down. The variable factor is where exactly the cargo area begins, and this is effected by how the rear seat folds, so all the wagon numbers are open to interpretation and sometimes the #s change. What I suggest is to go check out the 5 with a tape measure when the dealers have them. Here are some factors that swayed me to the Focus. The cargo width between the wheel wells in the FOcus is about 45" which is really wide compared to comparable size and even bigger wagons, like the Outback. Mazda5 is about 41" wide. How did Focus do this? The Focus wagon rear suspension was modified to maximize the cargo area. The shocks are diagonally mounted and entirely under the floor. Cargo floor to ceiling height is 36" which is also very good. We are real outdoors people and one of my requirements was that I could sleep in the wagon if need be, on one of our adventure jaunts. A couple can sleep in it with a little tweaking and I will detail this if anyone wants to know. With the front seat all the way forward there is over 6 feet in length. The 3rd seat in the 5 was a real negative for me, because I don't need 6 passenger capacity and now you have those seat cushions eating up the cargo area. Looks like they are not easily removeable.

Another factor is the built in roof rack and the nice thing on a wagon is that it is at a very usefull height, about 60". On a minivan or SUV it's a real stretch to get a bike on the rack for example, so I figure on the wagon you are gaining some roof rack utility. The 5 is only about 3" higher then the Focus so the rack would still be at a pretty good height. But I haven't seen any racks on the photos of the US 5's.

-Jaz
    Yes, the 05 dash is one of the worst I've seen and the style of the old one is so much better. THey went from "flair" to "bare". Ditto for the new grille. You would think the 05 model came before the 2000. What were these guys thinking?

-Jaz
  • thaicatthaicat Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Jaz for the info. We travel from Ontario to Florida for the winter with 2 cats in a HUGE travel carrier! We did this in a Corolla Sport this past season and while we made it, it was tight to say the least and much of what I would have liked to take, had to stay home, hence the move to a larger vehicle. My past 5 cars have been a Tercel, 626, Camry, and 2 Corollas, so you can see that I favour imports BUT the Focus was the only thing out there when I started looking that had the size I wanted without going to a Van or SUV, which I did NOT want. But now the Mazda 5 has appeared and the sliding rear door, if large enough to accomodate the cat carrier , really appealed to me as did the fact it is an import with the associated reliability and excellent resale value that that entails.

Your idea of tape measure, will travel!! is a good one and one I will definately do this when the call comes that the 5 is in!!!

Again thanks
    Thai
  • jon14jon14 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i experienced this problem too. more than once. The problem with the cowl is where the plastic cover on the pass side meets the windshield. At this point there is a rubber gasket which is glued to the glass, look there from time to time to ensure the seal is not broken. I've had mine fixed 4 times...

Regards from Massachusetts
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just wondering what people are paying for their 2005 focus wagons.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Here in Charlotte NC there is a dealer that is offering 25% off of MSRP on all their in stock vehicles.
    25% beats any internet pricing I've seen. I have seen dealers get down to about that price on a few special promo cars so that's about as good as it gets.

-Jaz
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I was looking for actual prices paid, not just percentages off MSRP. How much before tax??
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Well if you price out a top of the line SES model with auto,ABS ,traction control,side air bags,destination charge= $20,645 -25% =$ 15,483. All you need to add is tax and tag fees.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    I totaled my beautiful ZX3 last weekend. I am not in a good financial position for a new car, but I am looking at some used ones. I loved my ZX3 so much, but I'm now married and contemplating a family SOON so I figure I need a bigger car, or at least configured a little differently. Thinking about the ZX5 (though I don't like the look of it as well as the coupe) just for the ease of back doors, but it's still quite small.

Test drove a used focus wagon, (an '02) and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I missed the leather steering wheel and stuff from my car, and the automatic was a little sluggish (I usually drive a stick but again due to the kid thing I am thinking about switching to Auto)

I also have some real fit&finish issues with the wagon. How do you all feel about that? I HATE that you have to pull the bottom cushion up and WEDGE it behind the front seats in order to fold the backs flat. And when I tried it, I saw that the rug for the back isn't finished off at all, but has a raw edge with the batting showing. What the heck? My 2000 ZX3 materials didn't wear too well either, the back rug in that one was a stiffened carpet that eventually sunk in, easily pulling away from the cheap sticky velcro patches that were supposed to hold it up.

So, I'm still considering the wagon, but not loving it... anyone have any insights to offer me about loving theirs?

I'm tempted by the Pontiac Vibe, which appears to be similar to my ZX3 but is a little bigger.... (it's a rebadged Toyota Matrix :confuse: ) -- those seats fold down FLAT without any big issue and I love it that it's hard plastic back there instead of cheap upholstery that catches all the dirt & dog hair.
    I am a real big advocate after getting my 04 ZTW. My enthusiasm (see a few posts back) has not diminished at all. THere are some stick shift wagons and you can find a few 2003 1/2 and 2004 with the 2.3 if you want an extra kick of power. If you want an auto I think it will be easy to find what you want. Also note that the warranty is fully transferable and the 03 and later warranty was improved and many are still in effect. SO I decided to narrow my search to 03 1/2 to 04. I don't like the 05 styling changes, but of course that is a personal decision.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the 2.0 Zetec and it is pretty reliable. The general reliability of Foci improved every year. Probably avoid 2000 and 2001 and look for 2002 and later.

There a few good search engines on the internet including the Ford Direct site for dealer used cars. Personally I did not care for the Matrix/Vibe. The 1.8 seems very "torque challenged" and the floor does fold easier but the Focus winds up with more cargo room.

-Jaz
  • vegasralliartvegasralliart Member Posts: 1
    What a great place to rant about how hideous my 01 Focus Wagon was!!!
    (Well, it was a love/hate relationship)
    First to answer your Vibe Question, I owned an 04 & it was AWESOME!! I just loved that thing! I just got divorced & I owned all the cars, I got the Vibe for my unappreciative husband, who only liked it after his friends kept telling him how cool it was. I wanted to keep the Vibe & sell my Focus :lemon: because frankly it was AWFUL mechanically. It had been in the shop for :
    3 times front suspension replacement, whole brake system failure at 18,000 miles (which I had to negotiate a refund through Ford Dispute Resolution board & they gave me a thousand bucks back but made my 6 year extended warranty untransferable if I sell. they told me that the brakes were too small for the size of the car. :confuse: The entire steering column had to be replaced, The condenser on the air conditioner was replaced, the electrical system shorted out & was replced, the rear suspension was replaced, the window mechanism broke on the drivers window & both rear windows, new motor mounts, The headliner fell down in the back & was repaired 3 times. & This was all before the Factory warranty went out! Since then I've spent $200 in deductables not to mention the rude people at their service department who make you feel like you're making things up & oh yeah, this one I just love, The entire car shakes at the stop lights. "Well thats NORMAL" I can't tell you how pissed I was. :mad: They wouldn't do the motor mounts again & chalked it up to "bad design of the mounts", "but thats normal for a Ford" GEEZ!!! I got rid of the heap w/ 41,000 miles on it & its already an old beater! What a colossal waste of money . I paid close to $20,000 & 3 years later I sell it for $6500! Needless to say I wanted to keep the Vibe, I bought it w/ 25,000 miles on it for $12,000 & in 10 months we never had to bring it by the dealer once! It was great, & It had a 5 star crash rating & boy did it deserve it! The day after we signed divorce papers, my ex was sitting in traffic , w/ my son in the back, NOT in a car seat ( boy did he get it for that!) & was rear ended & plowed into 3 cars by a guy in a Tahoe w/ one eye (I'm NOT joking) who then swerved into 2 other cars. My Vibe was totaled but my son was FINE! (& unfortunately so too was my ex) the insurance company gave me $16,000 for it & although I loved that car, it had too many memories & was a bit too small in the back w/ kid gear, so now I have my new Mitsu Lancer Sportback Ralliart & it is AWESOME!!!
    If you can find one I highly reccommend it! :shades:
    Like I said, avoid the 2000 and 2001's.

-Jaz
  • tww7364tww7364 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting to only find one posting regarding Focus rear window motors. The driver side motor for my 2002 had to be replaced last Dec. Now the passenger side one is broken. Although around 50K miles, rear windows use is very infrequent so it seems faulty parts vs wear and tear - like battery, brakes, tires which I've replaced since I bought. I am befuddled. Any others with similar rear window experience?
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I'm considering an 05 Focus wagon.

1) has qualtiy improved from earlier years?

2) is the 2.0 a Mazda engine?

3) are signficant changes planned for the 06 Focus?

The only real down side I see to this little wagon from my intial observations is poor resale value.
    1. Yes the quality has improved steadily. I would recommend anything from 2002 on.

2. Yes the 2005 2.0 is a Mazda-design which is called the Duratec. It is manufactured by Ford in the case of the Focus and Mazda manufactures the same engine for some Mazdas. The head design is more efficient then the older 2.0 Zetec. The Focus Duratec motors began in some mid 2003 Foci and was at that time a 2.3. The 2005 2.0 Duratec is essentially that same motor but destroked to 2.0 and without balance shafts which aren't as necessary with the shorter stroke. The 2.0 picks up a few mpg which isn't a bad trade off.

3. My understanding is the US Focus doesn't change until 2007. The new generation Focus however is already out in Europe and the Mazda3 shares most of the mechanicals of the new generation Focus - So except for styling the Mazda3 is kind of the new Focus and the Mazda5 is kind of a big new-generation Focus wagon, but it has some poor specs compared to the US Focus wagons, like 22-27 mpg, tepid acceleration and less cargo room.

The resale takes a pretty good hit the 1st year, but I don't know how that is calculated because Foci typically have $3,000 rebates at the end of the year. Anyway I decided to take advantage of the 1st year resale hi and bought a low-miles one year old wagon.

I don't know where the rebates are now but I think they will hit 3,000 for sure if they are not already there.

-Jaz
    Thanks for the reply, Jaz.

The rebates are at $2500 now, but there's slim picking of station wagons at my local dealerships.
    If you want to check inventory you can get on the Ford Direct site and once you figure how to play the system you can check all inventory for an area. It only does about a 20-30 mile radius per inquiry.

-Jaz
    How does the Focus wagon compare to it's competition (e.g. xB's, PT's, etc ...) in cargo capacity?

Do the rear seats fold down flat?
  • gordon6gordon6 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter took her Focus Wagon through car wash, gas filler flap open, snapped it off. Only a plastic stub left. Anyone know how to remove and replace the door? There are two visible screws but they don't do much to get at the door. Thanks.
    Focus wagon has 73.7 cu ft max cargo. PT cruiser is about 65 cu ft. Focus has even more max cargo then Mazda5, Mazda6 or Outback/Legacy wagon and Honda CR-V. We looked at a Focus wagon and an Outback wagon cargo bay side by side which convinced us the Focus was more useable for us. The rear seat bottom tumbles forward and the rear seat back folds down flat (well maybe it has a few degrees tilt but it is virtually flat). Some wagons fold flat without tumbling the bottom cushion forward but that effectively raises the whole floor and you wind up with compromised volume.

The Focus cargo floor winds up with about 36" bottom to ceiling. The disadvantage as someone pointed out is that the tumbled-forward rear seat bottom wedges up behind the front seat and if you are tall you may have to move the front seats forward, then tumble the rear and then slide the fronts back again, but in any event you get a bigger cargo volume then even bigger wagons. For me, the hassle of sliding seats is less then the cost of getting a bigger car.

If you really want to maximize volume you can remove the rear seat bottom (just 2 Torx bolts and 2 minutes) and leave it home. Ok, that is too much of a hassle for most folks, but you do have that option if you have a special requirement.

The other reason it has so much volume for a small wagon is that the shocks are mounted diagonally under the floor. Typically the shock extends up and takes up wheel well space and narrows the cargo bay. Between the wheel wells the Focus wagon is wider then the Mazda5, Mazda6, Outback and many more I am sure, and that is one reason Focus winds up with the high volume number.

I'd recommend going down Auto Row someday with a tape measure and check all the candidates out. That's basically what we did. We were surprised by what we saw.

-Jaz
  • dativerdativer Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2002 SW in 2003. I drive approx. 70 miles (112.65408km) /day 5 days/wk. I put new tires on when I bought the car. I just put new tires on again. The first set of tire I put on were horrible in the rain. The new set Republic are great. I use the PA Turnpike for about 10-12 miles each way. I travel about 65- 80 MPH, depending on how late I leave the house. I like the ride, the acceleration, except when the AC is on max, the gas mileage, 30 mpg, the seats, the radio, the light from the headlights, the way the nose drops off for more view of the road. I have had no trouble with brakes, other than a squeak when I let off the pedal, AC, window motors, anything except.

The darn thing gets dirty. Both inside and out. No one seems to want to clean it.

I did get two notices of a recall for the cargo latch. I just haven't gotten over to the dealer yet.

My daughter bought a 2003 four door. It has the 2.3L engine. It has more pick up than my 2.0L Duratek. When I test drove a 2002 2.0L that wasn't a Duratek the pick up was not there. That is one of the reasons I bought the SW because all SWs have the Duratek in 2002.

There is not enough head room for my 6'5" (1.9555968m) son. Even with the seat cranked all the way down. He leaves dirt on the headliner. Maybe, I can get him to wear one of those hats worn in food and drug manufacturing plants.

Overall, I like it.

We are out now looking to replace our Aerostar. We tried the Ford Five Hundred. We like it, too.
  • dativerdativer Member Posts: 2
    I made a mistake. I have the Zetek not the Duratek.

Sorry!
    After doing some research it seems that the current model (05) should have a fairly reliable drivetrain (Mazda design), but there still may be reliability issues with other components, e.g. ac, brakes, etc ...