Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• lenwicklenwick Member Posts: 23
    We filled the gas tank today for the first time it used 7.4lt per 100ks i think thats very good, it should get better
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    That is about 38MPG Imperial. Not bad. It will get better. Mine has pushed 40MPG Imperial,highway driving.

Does your wagon have the annoying alarm signal when you open the driver's door and the gearshift is in any position, but Park? Of course the key is in the run position. The owner's manual refers to this signal as a chime. A chime would be okay. Mine is like a siren.
    Mine is a siren too,at least you cant ignore it
    My Ford Focus had 210ks on it when i got it.I asked Ford if the warranty started at 210ks answer it starts on the date you got it for 3 years our 60,000ks so all i get is 59790ks of warranty.I have bought GM cars the warranty started at the ks on the car so if it had 210ks the warranty would go to 60,210 our 3 years
    We had a similiar inquiry. Our wagon had 104km when delivered. I asked the sales rep. about an extension and he said we, meaning the dealer would never see anyone stuck out of warranty for 104km. We will take his word for it since we have purchased many vehicles from the same dealer over the years. However, GM's reply is certainly the correct way to solve the issue.
    GM has a place in the warranty book to put how many kms are on the car when you get it.Not Ford ive looks.
  • remowusremowus Member Posts: 40
    Mine is a 2003 ZTW and I did check the front brakes this morning . It looks like the pads are ok , but the discs feel like thay have ridges in them. But the dealer says that there is no problem. Over the weekend, the lock on my hatchback went bad. It won't work at all. And it was just replaced by ford on a recall issue. It worked fine up til then. Going back to the dealer today.
    1500ks on it now evey time i drive it i like it more
    I got this letter from Ford
    Dear Mr. Wickens,

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship
    Centre. We received your message sent on 5/12/2006 regarding the warranty
    on Ford vehicles.

It is always a pleasure to assist our customers. We thank you for your
    recent inquiry. In an effort to assist you, we have researched this
    matter on your behalf.

According to our resources, the warranty begins on the original retail
    delivery date, or on the date of first use, whichever occurs first
    ("original warranty start date"), regardless of the km on the vehicle at
    the time of purchase.

Mr. Wickens, if you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel
    free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,
    Yves
    Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre
    [THREAD ID:1-2WD67N]
    Well, Ford's warranty does not appear to be as fair as the GM warranty you had noted.
    I have never had a car that i like a much as my Focue wagon.We probably wont drive 60,000 in 3 yrs
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    I also have a 03 ZTW and noisy brakes are just the way it is. They stop fine and still have plenty of pad (24,900 miles). Granted, the rotors are small and probably won't last as long as bigger ones, but so far, so good.
    What type of noises are your brakes making? Squealing, grinding, creaking etc. My new ZXW rear brakes have started making a squealing sound the last few feet of a stop. They are drum brakes on the rear of 2006 wagons.
    What kind of noise? When they get wet and dry, the noise sounds like "grinding off the rust." Otherwise, when moving slowly and the radio's down, just a normal dissimilar material rubbing type sound, which is normal in my book. Don't hear it when moving fast and then braking. Oh, my ZTW has rear disks and I'm pretty sure they are biased toward the rears, as I get more brake dust there than on the fronts.
    Over 2500ks on it still getting better on hwy 401 i passed a truck started at 100ks by the time i was passed him i looked down and wow 145ks she is fast
  • curbiecurbie Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have a 2004 ZTW. Mine has the 205/50-R16 tires. My Focus driving experience, along with reading as much as possible in other forums about tires, is that the factory tires (Pirelli P6000 All Season) are sub-par compared to other tires available, many of which are lower priced, when it comes time for a new set. Maybe how long a set of tires will last is as much related to one's driving habits as it is to the properties of the tires, but I got 42,000 miles out of the original tires. At about 35,000 miles I had to replace one original that had gotten a very uneven section on the tread. I had expected both better performance and longer life out of the original tires. The tires on it now are Hankook Radial K106 ($66 each on discounttiredirect.com) and are they ever a huge improvement over the originals, at least for warmer-weather driving. By winter I will be getting a full set of snow tires on old steel wheels; winter driving habits have to adapt to Minnesota conditions. And the original Pirelli P6000 All Season tires were horrible performers on ice, or in snow, especially more than 2 inches deep. A friend said the snow depth performance may well be more related to the lower profile of the tire than to the composition or tread. But those original tires were dogs in every other manner, I'd not expect them to be much more than that especially under harsher conditions.

My free advice: get a set of tires you can actually enjoy, as soon as possible. Life's too short for putting up with ratty tires. And having ratty tires can potentially make your or someone else's life too short besides.

And yes, the rear brakes on my ZTW have the classic squeal too. Unexplainable. But it does not seem to persist past about the first or second brake application of each driving day.
    It seems to be a big problem for ford to have all these brakes that squeal. The squealing does seem to go away though. But it still shouldnt happen. Maybe different brake media would help.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Bought a used 2000 Focus Wagon two weeks ago. In general, I like the car, especially considering how much I payed for it. Still have some peeves.

The aerodynamics is not perfect. I don't know about hatchback or sedan, but driving a wagon with windows open is almost impossible. If I open driver's window it is noisy and drafty. If I open passenger window, the wind buffeting is severe. Same with rear windows. Basically all I can do is open windows at two inches at most. The air induction with cabin fan turned off is weak. So the only way to drive this car is to keep windows closed, turn on the fan and turn on air conditioning. This really sucks since I like driving with windows open. Another annoyance is wind noise in the side mirror/driver window area on speeds exceeding 80 mph.

The seats are relatively comfortable and elevated, this simplifies getting in and out. Back support seems ok for me, but the seat cushion is too short, this is especially noticeable when keeping foot on the brake. The cushion height can be changed, but the cushion angle cannot, I would prefer rear cushion end to be lower.

The rear seat is not equipped with head restraints. Ford seemed to have calculated the risk and decided that not too many adults ride in the rear seats and out of those who do, not too many get in accidents. I wonder why Ford has not been sued yet for this attitude regarding passenger safety.

Rear seatback splits 60/40, but the cushion is one piece, this is plain stupid. Hey Ford, if you wanted to cut costs why making a split seatback at all?

The steering wheel is ok. My car is equipped with cruise control which is unintuitive to operate (I owned Toyota Camry before). Also, there is little space between the wheel itself and the cruise control buttons, so using proper driving technique keeping thumbs inside the steering wheel is not easy. There is a slight vibration that is transferred from the road to steering wheel. Not very noticeable at first, but after one hour driving you notice it.

Power windows are not as refined as on Toyota, they produce cheap "unlubricated" glass-by-plastic sound. But the doors shut with a nice thud.

Rear drum brakes squeal. Well, this is a 2000 Focus, but apparently even 2004 models have this problem. Has it been fixed for 2005 onwards, after Focus was slightly redesigned? I don't know. Can anyone suggest better brake pads that do not squeal?

The trunk is huge but lacks hooks to tie stuff down. Toyota Matrix has a better thought-out trunk. The spare wheel in the Focus is not easy to remove and to fix it back. The accessibility of the jack is even worse. Come on, take a look at how Japanese do it. The great thing about Japanese cars is that not only frequently-used stuff is well-designed, but rarely-used stuff is well-designed too.

The shocks were awful, the car floated and bobbed on California freeways. This is not just my car, I test drove 2002 Focus and a brand new model as well. I must say that even with soft shocks the car drives very well, keeping the lane in turns. I replaced stock shocks and struts with KYB GR-2, much better. No bobbing anymore, but now I can feel the smallest flaw of the freeway. Well, better this than a floaty car.

The 2.0-liter 16-valve Zetec is powerful enough, but I guess that 2.3-liter Duratec should provide better driving experience.

So far I can say, that the car's body and suspension are well designed, but everything else was saved on. Cost-cutting is everywhere. The car is ok for the money I payed for it, but I would not consider buying a new Focus for 15-18 grands, nah, no sirree. I would rather get Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. Almost the same money for a new one, better resale value and better quality. I mean the build quality, parts quality and percieved quality like how different things sound or feel to touch. I hate Matrix's instrument panel, guess this is Pontiac's influence. Still, I think that a Matrix would be a better choice for a buyer of a new small hatchback/wagon.
    Our new 2006 wagon also has squeaky rear brakes. Our 2002 wagon brakes were quiet. Certainly agree with you re: the rear seat design. A split seatback but no split seat cushion was not one of Ford's better ideas. The engine, Duratec in our 2006, is far superior to the 2002 Zetec. More power, smoother, quieter.

Overall a pretty good wagon for the money and a lot more pleasing to drive than any Matrix we have driven.
  • jazvanjazvan Member Posts: 106
    I have to 2nd that I like the Focus wagon better then the Matrix. The 1.8 is inferior IMO, and even more inferior to the 2.3. However I do agree with some of the previous critiques of the Focus. Front passenger seat bottom is too flat. I have modified mine, lowered the rear support about 1" so it is tilted more (like the driver side in low position) and now it is near perfect. It was not comfy for passenger on long trips, unlike the adjustable driver seat bottom which can be made very comfy. Air flow is just OK, it could be better, but I have no problem with the fan on #2 spot. I too get an occasional squeak on the brakes, but all pads are thick and like new. It's maybe once every 2 drives. Anyway, I got mine with very low miles in near new condition. I have to agree that these are a super deal used, nothing can touch it IMHO and they were ahead of their time in many ways..

Jaz
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    > I have to 2nd that I like the Focus wagon better
    > then the Matrix. The 1.8 is inferior IMO,
    > and even more inferior to the 2.3.

2003 Matrix:
    1.8 liters, 130 hp @ 6000 rpm, 125 ft-lbs. @ 4200 rpm, 29/36 mpg (manual)
    1.8 liters, 180 hp @ 7600 rpm, 130 ft-lbs. @ 6800 rpm, 25/30 mpg (manual)

2003 Focus:
    2.0 liters, 110 hp @ 5000 rpm, 125 ft-lbs. @ 3750 rpm, 27/36 mpg (manual)
    2.0 liters, 130 hp @ 5300 rpm, 135 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm, 25/32 mpg (manual)

How 1.8 is inferior than Ford's 2.0? It is more powerful with beter fuel economy. And 36 MPG for Focus? Really? Most people get 25-28 MPG. My best so far is 29 MPG. Mazda's 2.3 engine is a great one I agree.
  • greenhornet3greenhornet3 Member Posts: 1
    Folks, it's fairly simple. The brake pad compositon, has been maximized-through research, and much of that-but probably, the 'most bang for the manufacturer's buck', results in annoyance(s), but good stopping power.
    The rear drum bakes accumulate this brake dust, and glazing, and the rear brake assembly needs to periodically be cleaned out-degreased, wiped down, reassembled. If the vehicle is still under warranty, they should do it free at your favorite Ford store. ;)
  • bobo7bobo7 Member Posts: 1
    hello,

im new to this forum, so dont know if this is the proper place to post. but here goes! our 2003 focus se wagon needs brakes, all the way around. (about 40,000 miles) first service its needed since we bought it new in 03! i figure while im replacing the rear drum shoes, id buy the inner seals and pack the inner and outer wheel bearings, if they dont need replacing. someone told me the bearings might be sealed, and i may not be able to repack them, just replace them. is this true???? i havent picked up a wrench in about 10 yrs, due to a disability, but have worked on vehicles most my mylife :surprise: !

ty,, bob
  • tomh3tomh3 Member Posts: 1
    In 1/06 similar problem with corrosion in my license plate light bulb holders. Haven't fixed yet. Three Ford dealers constacted and they all said never heard of this type problem! In looking for short, I took off both taillight lens and tried to remove the taillight bulbs. COULD NOT TURN THE BULB HOLDING UNITS AND REMOVE THEM FROM THE PLASTIC LENS. The same lens has the backup light and THIS COULD BE TURNED AND REMOVED!! Two of the Ford dealers said they never heard of such a problem, but the third said he'd get them out, you just have to turn hard. I had pliers on the unit and was sure I'd have broken the unit if I turned harder. You have any such problem. Sounds to me like the lens units made with taillight hole too small in diameter.

Tomh3
    I had a similar problem with my 03 ZTW.
    The bolts on the shocks on my rear hatchback door
    rusted out. The dealer said they had never seen that problem. But they fixed it under warranty at about 35k miles.
    I'm replaceing my squeaky brakes all the way around here in a couple of weeks in my driveway. My son is a mechanic and we will do it when it cools down . Maybe we can have a brake party here in St. Louis. Let me know if you're interested.
    The 2.0 Zetec (old head) has 10 ft/lbs more torque which is significant in this type of car. The new 2.0 Focus engines all have the higher efficiency Mazda heads (Duratec) and they are rated at 136 hp and 37mpg hwy. It has the same head as the 2.3 which is basically stroked with added balance shafts. The 110 hp Zetec engine no longer exists, I wasn't thinking of this one and have to admit it compares poorly.

The "hot-rod" 180 hp MAtrix XRS is an interesting comparison point because my 2.3 wagon is faster and smoother and more efficient. 2.3 wagon has 0-60 of 7.9 seconds (Car and Driver) compared to 8.5 to 8.9 for a 180 hp XRS. My highway MPG is 35 compared to 30, I do not require high octane fuel and I have more cargo capacity. BTW I do achieve EPA MPG.

But my opinion that the Matrix engine is inferior is not based so much on specs but by just driving both cars. It is just displacement-challenged IMO and the Mazda-designed Focus engines are at least as efficient with more displacement.

Jaz.
  • jdudzienskijdudzienski Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had issues with wheel bearing in the rear of the wagon? My wagon has 43K on it I have replaced all tires and shoes and pads. There is a vibration from the rear left when driving at all speeds. Very easy to hear on fresh blacktop, older roads hide the sound. Dealer said to replace both wheel bearing at 60k. Any thoughts?
    Is it just vibration, or a lot of noise too? Just vibration could be tire balance, 'cuz a lot of places never quite seem to get the balance right. Cheap check for that is rotate it with another wheel like the right front. Wheel bearings are possible but it's not normal at 60K. Personally I would just get the bad one done if you are sure that's what it is. I've never had a bad wheel bearing on any car and I drive them up to 150-190K miles. If a bearing seal is shot, that could make it wear out premature, so it's not impossible either. FWIW

Jaz
  • jeannad2000jeannad2000 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Ford Focus in October of 2005. After a rainstorm in November of 2005, a major leak occurred, leaving over 2 inches of water on the front, passenger floor. The dealership fixed the car. In July of 2006 I found water in the same location. After the dealership looked at the car, they stated that it is coming from a different location (not where they originally sealed it). They went on to tell me that they would have to remove my dashboard, requiring extensive labor, to locate the new cause of the leak. Unfortunately, my warranty is up because I drive far to work. I have only gone 700 miles of my limit. After speaking with many agents at the Ford Motor company I find I am out of luck. A service representative said that if there were enough complaints they would have to file a recall but he has not had any yet. (I am the first…find that hard to believe). I went on-line to search for others in my situation. I found numerous websites with complaints of Ford Focuses leaking on the passenger floor. I need to find others with this problem. We must demand that Ford take action for this problem. Please reply if you have the same problem again and/or a solution or suggestion.
    It seems extremely unlikely you had two sources of leak, so the dealer did not troubleshoot the problem correctly the first time and "fixed" something that was not the problem. Weak service department. Maybe they are liable to go back and fix it correctly? From what I read the usual problem is a seal between the windshield and cowl and it can even be sealed with some silicone. This does not require dash removal of course and could even be performed DIY.

*** I think you are right it should be a TSB.***

Sorry I can not be of much help.

Jaz
  • beccaorendbeccaorend Member Posts: 4
    Nine times in the last 16 months, my 2003 Focus ZTW (71,000 miles now) has left me stranded. The same thing happens each time. The weather is warm (or hot) and I drive 30 minutes or so, then stop at the store. When I come out 10 or 15 minutes later, the engine turns over but stalls, and won't start up again for about 45 minutes. At that point, it starts without incident.

My Ford dealer has no idea what the problem is, but they are the same people who needed four appointments with my car to realize it did have a serious transmission problem ( which they rebuilt at 34000 miles.

The car is perfect for me except that I can't trust it to start . . . any ideas?
  • etmom7358etmom7358 Member Posts: 1
    Are you running the air conditioner on these warm/hot days?
    If so, is the air conditioner factory installed or installed by the
    dealer?

My Ford Bronco II (1987) had a similar problem. The air
    conditioner was installed by the dealer and the dealer did
    not upgrade the radiator per spec, instructions and price.
    I had another mechanic install the correct radiator for me
    and all was well.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
    I am an "open window" kind of person, and only use the AC when I have to be really presentable. My AC is factory, and hasn't been on any time my car has failed me.

Thanks for the input.
    Wow, seems there are too many flakey Ford service departments. Seems any dealer or good mechanic could take a stab at this 'cuz it is not that uncommon of a problem. I have had cars in the past which exhibited the same thing to a lesser degree but I don't know anything Focus-specific. I think a probable cause is "Vapor-lock".

Jaz
    "Flakey" is a kind way to describe my Ford service department. It took four visits for them to agree that there was a problem with my transmission (which would suddenly throw me forward as I would drive down the road). They finally rebuilt it under warranty. It took them two hours to determine that the reason my brake lights didn't work was the wires at the back gate had broken. My girlfriend who is a church organist diagnosed the problem the minute I told her about it. It happened with her Volvo.

From what I have read, it is very unusual for a fuel-injected car to have vapor lock . . .the Focus is fuel-injected, isn't it?
    Yes, all Focus are FI to the best of my knowledge. My Sciorocco was FI and that was the one I had the most problem with. I'm not sure vapor lock is the right term or diagnosis but the symptoms were like yours. I wonder if yours is 2.3 PZEV. That has a lot more plumbing and pollution control.

Jaz
  • awang44awang44 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 wagon. I had to replace both of my rear wheel bearings coz they are complete shut. I guess i'm a bit lucky since it was about 100k when i had to replace them. BUT they are making noise bad just after 10k and 13 months, which could be another 600 dollars out of my already slim pocket.
  • skinnyturtleskinnyturtle Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Focus Wagon is in the shop right now with the same problem. I have to buy a new wiring harness and get it installed, gonna cost a minimum of $600, and the dealer did not provide a loaner car. This really sounds like a design flaw to me. That hatch should be designed to open & close a billion times without damaging the wire bundle. I think Ford should pay for this and correct the problem. Thank goodness I have a Chevy to drive while the Focus is down!
  • hokusfocushokusfocus Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2000 Focus wagon SE with ZTech engine. There seems to be confusion as to which Motorcraft oil filter is right for the car. I have called different dealers and ask. Some say the FL400S if it is not the SVT engine and some say it is the FL2005 if it is ZTech. The last time the iol was changed at the dealer, they used the FL400S. The Motorcraft website says FL2005 for 16 valve dohc and FL400S for the SOHC engine.
    Anyway, I'm totally confused as to the absolute correct filter to use. If anyone could enlighten me , I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    I had the same issue (one of many) with my 2003 Focus ZTW. The guys who change my oil noticed that the brake lights at the top of the hatch door weren't working. They changed bulbs, but still no lights. At that time, my regular brake lights and turn signals still worked.

When I went to the Ford dealer for my state inspection (and recall for the rear latch), it seemed that I had no brake lights at all. They worked on it for two hours ($$$$)before discovering the problem was the wiring at the top of the rear door. As the service manager told me "it is from slamming the door". I said, "Oh, you mean from opening and closing the back gate? Shouldn't that be considered normal use?" Duh.

They suggested a whole new electrical harness, but we opted for repairing the wires. I still ended up costing me a fortune, but they did it while I waited.

I hope to be trading it in this weekend - but not for another Ford.
  • vera5vera5 Member Posts: 3
    My focus wagon was at a dealership for a fluid leak-they replace a gasket. As I drove home when AC was on the car overheated. I returned car next day, they replace an air conditioner fan and a fuse. I retrieved the car today.This evening after a trip to the car wash water poured in through the front passenger side. I looked at the cabin filter seal when I got home. It is all loose. I am furious as this means for the fourth day in a row I have to return this car to the dealer. I have always loved my focus and I am very suspicious of shoddy service at the dealership.I have the extended warranty but each time they are picking away at my $100 deductible. I am glad to read other posts about this problem and I will take it up with them tomorrow. Unfortunately I am a woman in a man's dealership and they think here comes another sucker!! I will post the outcome. My focus has 61K and i was great until this week.
  • fordwagon67fordwagon67 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, new here but have been reading about many problems with the Focus. I will be replacing my leased 04 Corolla this month and am trying to decide between a Focus Wagon SES, a VW Rabbit, and a Pontiac Vibe.
    I very much would like to get an American made and American company car, but I feel like I'm giving up much to do so such as safety and reliability. I looked at the Focus at a dealer and was shocked to see no rear headrests!!! it's 2007, a $9,999 Chevy Aveo has them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No side curtain airbags available???!!!
    I did drive the Focus SES sedan A/T and must admit in ride and handling it was superior to my Corolla, let me say quite a bit superior.
    My last American car was a 1995 Saturn SW2 which was a very good car.
    I really want to buy a Ford, especially now (I know, I'm a day late and a dollar short - but better late than never, right?)
    All you satisfied Focus Wagon owners out there, please tell me it's a decent car.

Thanks!
    I have had a 2006 SES wagon since April 06. So far it has been a great car. Only ongoing concern is noisy rear brakes. Seems to be a problem for most Focus cars. Brakes work great however. We absolutely love the way it rides and handles. Absolutely top notch in this area.
    I wonder if you can get a better deal on an '06? I doubt the 07 has any significant changes although I heard they are going to restyle the grill front end again, and it seems it gets uglier every time IMO. Focus wagon is a great car. It does seem to have some issues, but I think no more then other cars and no particular problem on my 04. It is however a 9 year old car counting from when it was released in Europe. It was a brilliant design at the time (designed mostly in Germany) winning probably more small call awards than any other, but Europe has now totally replaced it with a new Focus and we are still on the old design. The new European Focus is mechanically a Mazda3. My summary, it's amazing how much cargo room considering it has about the length and width of the old Honda Civic and I think even smaller then the new civic, but it has about as much cargo space as a Honda CRV and small SUV's and it rides much better and better MPG. The rear suspension was compromised a little to get the relatively big cargo bay (slightly less suspension travel than the hatch) and the rear suspension was cleverly fitted completely under the rear floor. The rack and pinion steering unit is world-class. The Mazda designed Duratec engines are pretty darned good IMO. I'm not sure if the wagons are still made in USA. Check the door jamb. Are they MExico now? My 04 was made in USA, the japanese-designed engine was made in Mexico and the transmission was made in Germany.

The real beauty of the wagon is when you can get a killer deal on one.

Jaz
  • icescorticescort Member Posts: 12
    Well, I also have a ZX2 which takes an FL2005. while my 03 focus takes a FL400S. The only difference between these filters is the FL2005 has an anti reversionary valve built into it and the 400S does not. Personally, I prefere the 2005.It wont drain itself when the car isnt running. Thats good from a cold start lubrication standpoint. I run synthetic oil as well. I have learned that good clean oil is important if you want long life for the vct sensor on the ZX2. I have had NO problems with either of these cars. I am a gearhead and I just maintain them and do pay attention to ALL fluid changes. Fresh coolant every fall. flush the power steering system once a year at the same time I bleed the brakes and top with fresh brake fluid. I know that may sound extreme but, It is the same as BMW and mercedes have recomended for many years.I keep all my cars for the long term.the cost of this has not exceeded three hundred bucks a year and my repair costs have been ZERO $. Good luck.SHB
    Thoughtful post, mikus. Here's my thoughts from driving my 03 ZTW:
    "The aerodynamics is not perfect."
    -shudda bought a Mercedes :blush:
    "Rear seatback splits 60/40, but the cushion is one piece, this is plain stupid."
    -agreed, but it is an economy car...
    "The steering wheel is ok."
    -the leather wheel is pretty nice :P
    "Cost-cutting is everywhere. The car is ok for the money I payed for it, but I would not consider buying a new Focus for 15-18 grands"
    -I bought my 03 ZTW w/ALL options except sunroof for $16k in the summer of 03. Much less money than the VW & Subies I was looking at. So far, (except for wheels going out of balance real fast) I've had ZERO issues and have gotten my money's worth. People still think I have a Volvo wagon :blush:
    Is it perfect? No. Did I make a good decision purchasing it? HECK YES. YMMV.
    Rick
    I have an 03 ZTW . No problems yet. Just the squeaky brakes.
    my wife does like to hit all the potholes she can and hard.
    But nothing broken yet . it's probably only a matter of time though.
    After waffling between a Focus Wagon, VW Rabbit, and a Pontiac Vibe I've decided to get a Focus.

I'm going to try to buy the rear seat from a Canadian Dealer so I can have head restraints.

Thanks for the advice, I hope more people choose Ford in the coming year.
  • jeffdavisjeffdavis Member Posts: 11
    Ford will stop taking orders for the Focus wagon on November 20th, 2006, and production of the 2007 Focus wagon will stop by the end of December 2006. There will be no 2008 Focus wagon, only sedans & hatchbacks. I had been hearing this for a while, and now it is true, straight off the Ford website. Better order or buy one soon. Ford dropped them because the wagons are only 8% of the Focus sales, and not worth the trouble for Ford. A terrible loss, and the last American wagon produced. Sorry to have to drop such bad news. I ordered a Focus wagon SES last March, and was driving it 5 weeks later. It is a great wagon. The gas mileage has been much better than expected (35 or more on the highway). Mine has all the options except the sunroof (hate them), even leather, heated seats & mirrors, and traction control. I hit 5000 miles last week, and the car has been flawless. It is definitely the best small wagon available. I highly recommend it.
    Do you have the Automatic or the 5-speed?

wow, I'm going to order mine tomorrow after work.