Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• javaswingjavaswing Posts: 24
    Recently test drove the outback. nice ride.
    but not impressed with the width of the car.
    it is hardly wider than the corolla I am
    driving these days!

Anybody got information on future redesign that
    would solve this problem?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Legacy just got redesigned for 2000, so the next one would only be due for 2005 or so.

There will be a new Forester for 2003, but I doubt it would be wider than the Outback. A bigger sport utility wagon is expected in 2005 as well.

How much width do you need, though? My cousin has a '99 Outback, and puts 3 kids in the back in safety seats. The 2000 is about an inch wider, too. Check it out:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1400062&a=11264448&p=46643565&f=0

-juice
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    they currently advertize 2.9% in chicago area. Also saw Outback SW with auto, CD, alarm advertized for 21.5K. Is it a good price?
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Posts: 116
    If you head down to your local dealer, the current color chart includes the 2002s, and there's a couple changes. There's a nice new silver for the Ls and GTs... a new, bright red is available across the line, Legacies and OBs... and on OBs, the only white now is the Pearl White first introduced on the H6s last year.

Mike
  • francophilefrancophile Posts: 667
    You might discover that 2.9% is only for two year loans. The percentage rate rises with the term of the loan.

You should check out the New Car section of Edmunds for car pricing; they are excellent. you can price your car out with the exact options you want, or with the options included on the advertised vehicle, and see how good the price is.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/

Cheers,

-wdb

• viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    Edmunds must not have up-to-date info. The incentives section has nothing, yet there are lots of ads on TV locally. the subaru web site also mentiones it, but says 'see dealer for details'
  • romolaromola Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Outback with 2000 miles on it and have decided to sell it. There is nothing wrong with it. I paid 22,955 and it has: Automatic transmission, cargo net, security system upgrade, cd player and rear bumber molding. MSRP total suggested retail price was 24,883. I want a Honda civic. Do you think I should try to sell the car myself? How much should I expect? Should I try to trade it in? I expect to lose a lot, as the tax alone was 1,800 and I don't see how I can recover any of that. Any advice would be appreciated (other than keeping it -- I'm just not a Subaru person...) BTW Kelly, and Edmunds don't yet have 2001 recommended values.
    Sorry to hear that. Any particular reason? The threat of $3/gallon gas?

Any how, figure you lose about 10% of the value just by driving it off the lot, then 10% each year after that. That's a rough rule of thumb.

Since it's almost new, I'd try to get 90% of its original value, or about $20,700. You may want to try Car Max, which not only sells but also buys cars.

-juice
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I mean in a span of only 2000 miles, you've decided that you don't really like Subarus and want a Civic, which is a nice little car, but soooo different from the OB. Was there some character flaw with the OB that didn't materialize till after you took delivery? Did you buy the OB on a spur of the moment? If I were you I would hang on to the OB for at least 1 year or else you would really take a bath on a trade-in (or private sale because of the non-recoverable tax)
  • mitchnetmitchnet Posts: 3
    Just finished doing my first road trip using a Yakima SpaceCadet Cargo box on my 2001 OB and thought I'd report that I am very pleased with it.

I also considered the Thule Excursion box but Thule does NOT approve the use of the Excursion box with the OB factory crossbars. You can do it..but Thule does not recommend or approve it. I called and spoke directly with Thule customer service to verify this. Thule told me to get their rail mounts, crossbars and locks which adds about another $190. On the other hand, Yakima has fully approved their SpaceCadet box with our OB factory crossbars. The Yakima box also holds a little more (15 cubic feet vs 13). I purchased the Yakima Spacecadet with 2 sks core locks for $270. I also felt the Yakima was better made (ie..insulation on the lid, bigger hinge springs, clamp hardware, etc.).

I was suprised to find that the Yakima SpaceCadet added neglible wind noise..even at 75mph. At lower speed I even opened the window to listen and couldn't detect additional wind noise.

My findings on some other cargo boxes: I liked the Packasport boxes..especially since they are waterproof and use marine carpeting - but at $810+ they were too costly for my limited use which is for vacations and taking the kids to college. The Subaru Accesory boxes appear to be made by Swagman out of BC. They seemed nice enough but are quite a bit more expensive then either the Yakima or Thule boxes.
  • liondogsliondogs Posts: 6
    mitchnet was there a big gas mileage hit using the cargo box. I have looked into Packasport boxes but am concerned about a big reduction in gas mileage because of increased wind drag. I would like to keep the box on the roof full time this is why I have looked at the Packasport.
    Using my soft carrier I still get 25-27 mpg on the highway, so it's only 1 or 2mpg worse than usual.

Also, my cousin has one of those huge X-Cargo ones, and he said his mileage was great for the same trip.

So if you want one, don't let a tiny mileage penalty stop you. Even my small one offers 14 cubic feet, which is like having another trunk.

-juice
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    We have the Thule Excursion cargo box. We have used it for several 2000+ trips with no problems with the factory OB rails and cross bars. The Yakima is better made but costs $270 -vs- under $200 for the Thule with the lock.
    There is wind noise from the Thule but is not horrible. The fuel economy hit was about 3-4mpg for us. Basically 19-20mpg from the usual 23-24mpg at 75mph.
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Posts: 30
    I have not been back to the dealer in a few weeks (didn't like the way I was treated, I'll have to choose a different one). Anyway, is it true that the 2002 color choices include a bright red for LL Bean? If that is true, I'm waiting till I can buy a 2002. I don't really like any of the color choices on the 2001 models. (If I could get the blue on an LL Bean, maybe but I'll always choose a bright red car if I can get one).

Paul in MN.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jdlanganjdlangan Posts: 48
    Where did you find the Excursion for under $200? I've been researching this again since we have to go to VA Beach for a dance competition in July. The best price I saw was $215, plus shipping of course, on a MSRP of $245. I've been looking at a soft carrier that JC Whitney offers, it has a rigid plactic panel in the front that makes it more aerodynamic, for $99. I'd still prefer a hard box, and like the looks of the Thule, the Sears is just too darned big for my taste since it only comes in one size now.
    Jeannette
    Wow, an Excursion SUV for $200? I thought they were $40 grand. Big rebates, I guess...

;-)
  • jdlanganjdlangan Posts: 48
    They had to offer those rebates to offset the gas prices.......
  • kmcleankmclean Posts: 173
    Talk about great timing! I've been collecting information on cargo boxes for the last few weeks in preparation for buying one for my 00 OB wagon - even sold the old X-cargo that had served the Caravan so well (saw one installed on an OB like mine at Mt Bachelor in February, and realized it just WASN'T meant to live on my OB). A neighbor bought it and gleefully installed it on his motor home!

Did you buy the box locally or order it "remotely?" I live in the Seattle area and our sales tax is now up to 8.8%, so I wouldn't mind a little savings on that count.

I also plan to use my box intermittently (vacations, moving to/from college, etc.) - how tough was it to un/install?

In any event, thanks for a nice, timely post.

Hey, juice, I was just back your way this week (Bethesda) - OB's look pretty rare back there - compared to Seattle (they're EVERYWHERE out here). Too low-brow for the DC-area socialites?

Cheers from the PNW!

Ken M.
  • sagarwalsagarwal Posts: 12
    Does anyone know of a good site to check for current rebates and incentives. Seems like edmunds and kbb have fallen behind on this aspect of their sites and have not been updating them.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Rebates are usually posted on the individual manufacturers' websites.
  • mtnsunmtnsun Posts: 24
    I saw on the subaru web site the 2.9 financing. Does anyone know if 2.9% is being used on leases as well. Any recent lease deals anyone cares to share with the rest of us.
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Posts: 228
    Hi Paul,

For 2002, the red is called Regatta Red and is bright. Looks good on the color chart. I believe it replaces the Winestone.

Don
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    Bike Line in Pottstown, PA had 2 for under $200 and I bought 1. They were new but I'm not sure if it was a special of some kind.
  • mitchnetmitchnet Posts: 3
    In response to Kmclean:
    I drove about an hour from my house to pick up the Yakima Spacecadet from Campmor in Northern N.J. The costs of shipping are very high as the box is bulky hence it was well worth it to drive and pick it up. With the rear seats down the Yakima Spacecadet fits inside my OB in the original cardboard shipping box. The Yakima site has a dealer locator and I printed out all dealers within a reasonable drive..and then just called around to see who had it in stock and had the best price.

In response to Liondogs:
    The Packasport is one beautiful box and Packasport says it is waterproof - which the Yakima and Thule boxes are not. If you are leaving a box on all the time then it is probably the way to go. I only use the cargo box to bring my 2 kids to college and I plan to only mount it on top for one direction while it will sit inside the OB for the other non-cargo direction. I will probably also use it for our annual vacation where it will be mounted for about a week. With my limited use I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Packasport. Just curious if you know the weight on the Packasport 90xl as the Packasport literature and web site didn't state the weight?
    Post here and let us know how you like the Packasport after you use it.
  • dgraydgray Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what a Subaru Legacy TI is? I just paid $6000 for one to use as a work car, but now can't find any information on the TI in the blue book. We haven't taken possession yet, so could maybe get out of the deal. Please help!
  • energymattenergymatt Posts: 2
    Looking for a supplier of tray type upright bike carrier that will attach to OB factory roof rack system(rail and cross bar) Please post if you can help

jim
  • Is it a 1994? Here's some info. Seems like it is the Ti Outdoor Wagon.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.rp?kbb&&11&94legacy

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html

In the Archive section on the left click on the Legacy 1990-1994 link and then scroll down.

And I believe this is the same vehicle:
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/subaru/legacy/4drtouringturbo4wdwagon/overview.html?id=lin0056
    bit
  • mtnsunmtnsun Posts: 24
    I am in the market for a new 'O1 OB Wagon 4cyl 5 speed w/cloth. I have little ones and was curious about the integrated child seat. Any experience with the seat? Does it fold away when not in use? Is it convenient, comfortable, worth the $200 charged? Also, what about the sound system. I was planning on upgrading the system with Subis sound package,i.e. upgraded speakers, amp, cd, tweeter kit? A cd player is a must. What about the other stuff? Is it worth the cost? Tx.
    Ken: get into the northwestern suburbs (more snow fall) and you'll see more of them.

If that Ti is the turbo wagon, those are pretty cool. 160hp I believe, but good torque.

You know, I've never seen the integrated child seat. I'm curious - anyone have photos?

-juice