Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Rebates are usually posted on the individual manufacturers' websites.
  • mtnsunmtnsun Member Posts: 24
    I saw on the subaru web site the 2.9 financing. Does anyone know if 2.9% is being used on leases as well. Any recent lease deals anyone cares to share with the rest of us.
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Hi Paul,

For 2002, the red is called Regatta Red and is bright. Looks good on the color chart. I believe it replaces the Winestone.

Don
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Bike Line in Pottstown, PA had 2 for under $200 and I bought 1. They were new but I'm not sure if it was a special of some kind.
  • mitchnetmitchnet Member Posts: 3
    In response to Kmclean:
    I drove about an hour from my house to pick up the Yakima Spacecadet from Campmor in Northern N.J. The costs of shipping are very high as the box is bulky hence it was well worth it to drive and pick it up. With the rear seats down the Yakima Spacecadet fits inside my OB in the original cardboard shipping box. The Yakima site has a dealer locator and I printed out all dealers within a reasonable drive..and then just called around to see who had it in stock and had the best price.

In response to Liondogs:
    The Packasport is one beautiful box and Packasport says it is waterproof - which the Yakima and Thule boxes are not. If you are leaving a box on all the time then it is probably the way to go. I only use the cargo box to bring my 2 kids to college and I plan to only mount it on top for one direction while it will sit inside the OB for the other non-cargo direction. I will probably also use it for our annual vacation where it will be mounted for about a week. With my limited use I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Packasport. Just curious if you know the weight on the Packasport 90xl as the Packasport literature and web site didn't state the weight?
    Post here and let us know how you like the Packasport after you use it.
  • dgraydgray Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what a Subaru Legacy TI is? I just paid $6000 for one to use as a work car, but now can't find any information on the TI in the blue book. We haven't taken possession yet, so could maybe get out of the deal. Please help!
  • energymattenergymatt Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a supplier of tray type upright bike carrier that will attach to OB factory roof rack system(rail and cross bar) Please post if you can help

jim
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Is it a 1994? Here's some info. Seems like it is the Ti Outdoor Wagon.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.rp?kbb&&11&94legacy

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html

In the Archive section on the left click on the Legacy 1990-1994 link and then scroll down.

And I believe this is the same vehicle:
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/subaru/legacy/4drtouringturbo4wdwagon/overview.html?id=lin0056
    bit
  • mtnsunmtnsun Member Posts: 24
    I am in the market for a new 'O1 OB Wagon 4cyl 5 speed w/cloth. I have little ones and was curious about the integrated child seat. Any experience with the seat? Does it fold away when not in use? Is it convenient, comfortable, worth the $200 charged? Also, what about the sound system. I was planning on upgrading the system with Subis sound package,i.e. upgraded speakers, amp, cd, tweeter kit? A cd player is a must. What about the other stuff? Is it worth the cost? Tx.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ken: get into the northwestern suburbs (more snow fall) and you'll see more of them.

If that Ti is the turbo wagon, those are pretty cool. 160hp I believe, but good torque.

You know, I've never seen the integrated child seat. I'm curious - anyone have photos?

-juice
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Mtnsun - I did the Premium Sound Package 2 (speaker upgrade, tweeter kit, subwoofer and 6 disc indash CD). I lists for $795. I had the dealer pull the CD changer and they credited me something like $300. I then swapped the casette receiver for a Blaupunkt Nevada CD receiver. Love it.

bit
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Mtnsun- Actually I have the child seat on my 00 base OB (even though no kids!) as it was on the car already. When not in use it sits in the middle, folded up. All the buckles stay inside the seat, so that nothing is seen. The only annoying thing with it is that if you stop short, the seat has a habit of falling open. Hope this helps.

Mark
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I'm not sure about the subaru one. You mention kids. The outback only has one seat and its in the middle. Thats why I passed on it. 2 kids = 2 seats most of the time. Seldom do I get to take just take one kid.
    I also has a 98 Grand Caravan with the integrated seats (2 of them). They work very well. The integrated seats work the best when I forget to take the other child seats out of the outback before going to work! Normal child seats are a bit higher up, allowing better visibilty for the kids out windows, but they kids don't seem to have a preference.

Then again, the old seatbelt hookup method doesn't work very well in the OB. The seat belts just don't tighten down as much I would like. making integrated seat(s) better. Maybe new child seats with the new 'standard' hookup into the seat back would be best.
    Yeah, I think they have the LATCH/ISOFIX anchors on all new Subies.

Take the seat to a D/C dealership and they'll help you get it tight. A lot of local dealers offer a similar service.

Some times they have one guy stand in the seat pressing it down while the other tugs to get it tight - but they get it so secure it's amazing.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I have a child seat that I use. I don't have a problem making the seat nice and tight with the latching mechanism on the seat belt (pull it all the way out for it to work). A knee in the seat works great.Of course, a nice heavy blanket goes under the seat and no food allowed! As for integrated seats, I heard reports on earlier versions that they are not as good in crash tests as "regular car seats". Not sure if this is still true. Do the seats fold down if you have the integrated seat?? IMHO it's not worth the $200.

-Greg
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Drove my '98 OB this evening in light rain and wanted to see how it would fair tossing it at a corner when wet. Speed, accelerated to ~30 mph. Let off the trottle, made a quick ~90 deg. turn (no brakes). 3/4 into the turn I hear this ABS pulsing sound (don't have my foot on the brakes) and felt the car slid a twitch diagonally (no tire squealling). I've not experienced this (ABS activation when foot not on brakes) before and am a little curious if it is the ABS and how? Or is it just the sidewall of tire(s) rolling under.
    You probably rolled onto your sidewalls.

The ABS would activate on a VDC model, as part of the traction/stability control, but not on yours.

-juice
  • dvfdvf Member Posts: 3
    Anyone aware of Firestone Wilderness tire problems on the outback? It seems like that is the tire which is being shipped with them. I have not heard of any problems like the Fords, but just wondering with the big news headlines now.
    Thanks Dave
    I browse all the Subaru boards here and never heard any complaints. The tires are entirely different than the ones on the Explorer. Only the label is the same.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That's because Subaru recommends the proper tire inflation as opposed to Ford's underinflation.
    Good point, but the tire's also a different tread and design overall.

-juice
  • gbarltropgbarltrop Member Posts: 7
    My 99 Legacy emits an intermit ant high pitched whistle from the left front side of the passenger cabin and is fairly constant in pitch and volume when the car is in motion at almost any speed. Sounds much like a brake wear indicator but it is not. I have checked all window and door seals, activated brakes, AC, and air flow controls in the hopes of isolating the sound--no luck. Any ideas??
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    I have been following these discussions for a couple months now while contemplating purchase of an Outback LL Bean, but haven't seen any messages from the San Diego area.

Anybody here purchase, drive, or had service performed on an Outback in the area, with stories to tell?

For the curious, I have considered Volvo, Honda, Toyota and Lexus alternatives to the Outback and still find myself drawn back. Previously a loyal Toyota owner with four cars dating back to 1983, this will be my first purchase outside of the brand.

Haven't yet made the final decision, but with Memorial Day weekend coming up I expect that a good deal can be made. I look forward to driving a new Subaru!
    Gary: do you have a roof rack? If so, try moving the cross bars.

Cool, Steve. Local dealers have LL Beans dipping as low as $27k, but you're on the other border. They may be harder to find in your sunny climate.

-juice
  • breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2000 Outback 5spd and live in SD. My experience has been good overall but I have been frustrated also. The local dealers (and most Subaru dealers in my opinion) are marginal at best regarding service. I just got back today from Balboa Subaru to get a 4 wheel alignment. The Outback's tires were slightly feathering so I wanted to get it done under warranty. I bring the car in and before they even work on the alignment they tell me the cars oil is dirty and low. This really #@*! me off considering the oil has 1800 miles on it and is 2 months old. I had a bad service experience with Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad (I figured out the problem after the technician tried for 4 days).

I too have owned Honda's and Toyota's almost exclusively and find Toyota's the best, followed by Honda. Subaru - way down the list (seems to be treated as a second class citizen).

With that said, we really love the car. It handles well in the mountains and performance is adequete (at least with the 5spd). I think it's a great value. I'm not familiar with the LL Bean edition.

For what it's worth we bought our car in Irvine. If I can help in any way let me know.

breckco
    Too bad you don't have the dealer selection that we have here in the DC area. There are several within a half hour's drive, and I can avoid the bad ones.

-juice
    Thanks Breckco for the info. I think we must allow for a certain amount of human error in the dealer service departments, in fact all repair establishments. I must admit that even the much admired Toyota and Lexus service departments are prone to error at times as well, so my expectations are not too high. I also had a dealer fail to replace a vacuum hose, causing the speed control to be inoperable and a stumble/hesitation in the engine. After being told that dirty injectors were the cause, with a suitable $$ quote, I found the hose and reattached it - solving the problems.

I think someone else here mentioned that the best way to maintain a car is to keep a sharp eye on all the fluid levels, listen for irregular noises, have regular fluid changes (oil, transmission, coolant). I will add too the caution to limit the car's exposure to service in general.

Although having regular service performed, and limiting trips to the service department may seem contradictory, the key lies in buying a quality car in the first place. It seems that Subarus generally meet this requirement.

As for purchase, I think I'll stay in the San Diego area unless a really GOOD deal can be had in Irvine. Any particular reason you purchased there?
  • kturner1kturner1 Member Posts: 33
    Re the recent post describing use of heavy blanket under car seat. I, too, used to put a towel under our car seats. The knee trick got them very tight. However, during a car seat inspection, we were told that this can cause the seat to kick out. I don't know for sure about this, but we are not using the towel anymore. Of course, the cushion dents are in our minivan anyway so the Subie is safe. Just wanted you to know.
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    As to the norm, juice is right on target. Our's are passenger car tires - totally different than the Ford Wilderness A/T tires. While I'm not in our PR department, I can honestly say that I have yet to see a case where we have confirmed a tire seperation problem. We have had some contacts, but in each case, nails, damage to the wheel (really scratched up rims, etc.) were the cause. I know that the issue is worse because it is unclear as to who is zooming who with this issue (Ford or Firestone), but considering how careful we are, I KNOW we would act quickly if we saw a problem - cost or no cost.

Just my two bits.

Patti
  • breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    We purchase the car in Irvine because we were looking for a somewhat unique vehicle, an Outback with 5spd and cold weather package in Blue. Not real common in Southern CA. I just called to see if the Irvine dealer might happen to have one. They didn't but found 1 exactly the way we wanted it in-transit to a dealer in Van Nuys. They offered to call the dealer, have them hold it and trade for it. We arrived at an excellent price.

Regarding service. Yes I agree human error is a fact of life and I have no problem with that. When I suggested the fix to the technician and it worked he felt really bad. I ended up trying to make him feel better. What's unacceptable is being deceived. My oil was not low or dirty. My car has 11,500 miles on it and has had the oil changed 5 times. You have to wonder how many people who do not know better pay for uneccessary service. Your right - do what you can to keep any car out of the service deparment. This is a shame. A friend of mine is looking for a car and asks my opinion. She's considering an Outback. I had to tell her the car is fantastic and a great value but watch the service.

I'm done ranting....

Live Happy,

breckco
    You may actually want to complain to SoA about that "dirty oil" claim. Sounds like they're trying to get people to do more than necessary to pad profits.

Any how, just my 2 cents, but it's more effective to formally complain than to vent (though that's OK too).

-juice
  • warseniowarsenio Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 GT station wagon with 34,000 miles. We have already replaced 3 of the 4 tires with various "odd" problems. I recently spoke to someone else about his GT. He said he loved it, but that he had to replace all 4 tires by 30,000 miles. What gives? Has anyone heard anything about Bridgestone Potenzas? One additional wrinkle. When we got one of the tires replaced at the dealer, they found a defect in the new tire that made it impossible to balance - so they had to get another tire.

This leads me to problem 2. There has been a slight but obvious shimmy in the steering wheel for large parts of this car's life. Its a complicated story because we had it in and out of the dealer before they finally fixed it. Then it started again even before we got the 3rd tire. I've been told that it can't be an alignment issue since the car is now tracking straight. But what could create this sort of shimmy? I'm assuming that balancing the tires isn't that complicated and shouldn't be an issue. This car has been hypersensitive to both alignment issues (corrected twice) and now this damn vibrating steering wheel. One person suggested that a rim may have gotten bent? Any information or thoughts out there. When our car isn't shaking we love it!
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I have a 01 GT wagon and I swapped out the factory sound system, I installed a JVC model XC770 cassette and cd unit.
    I also added Infinity Cappa speakers front and rear, about the same price as Subaru premium speakers but much better, I added the subaru tweeter kit as well as the subaru sub amp.

I chose the subaru subamp primarly because it was designed to be mounted under the passenger seat, therefore it did not take up any room in the car, I have been pleasantly surprised by the sound of such a small subwoofer, if space is not a concern for you I am sure you could find a powered subwoofer in the aftermarket for less money than Subaru,s, I also managed to find mine at a good price which always helps.

Cheers Pat.
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    Hi everyone,

- I have a 2000 OB and am looking at a possible replacement with a 2002 model. Anyone has any info on the 2002?

- How much more gas does the H6 takes over the H4 in city driving?

- My OB tends to oversteer in snow when the traction transfers from front to rear. Does the VDC takes care of that or does it make driving in snow worse, as I have read somewhere?

TIA!

Pat.
    William: I would actually recommend replacing all the tires at once. With AWD you don't want to have more than 1/2" difference in tread wear. I'm sure you didn't have a choice, but you may want to consider replacing the entire set when the next tire is ready to go.

Do you have RE92s? I've heard a pretty wide range of treadwear. Lots of folks can't wait to get rid of them, actually.

My OE Bridgestone Desert Duelers lasted 27k miles, IIRC, not great but not awful either.

When you replace your tires, make sure to check the treadwear rating on it. It'll have a label like "240AB". The number is the treadwear life expectancy, the first letter is the wet traction rating (AA, A, B, or C), and the next letter is the heat resistance rating (A, B, or C).

So look for a high number and an A rating for traction and temperature. I replaced my 180BB Deulers with 460AA Nitto NT460s, though they're also on a bigger rim, and of a different size. They are better in every way except in snow.

-juice
  • delmarvadelmarva Member Posts: 2
    Subaru Legacy reliability is impressive. We own a 1990 Legacy wagon. It has worked flawlessly in nearly daily use, and has been fairly enjoyable to drive. But there was one horrible exception five years ago. I was about to return from a wedding on a very hot summer day. The ignition started, but the windows - shut tight - would not drop, nor would the ac or vent fan work. It was a long 40 mile dive home. The next day the vehicle was dead and had to be towed. Wiring to the makeup mirror and kinked and shorted out half the car. So I wonder, before I buy another Subaru, has the wiring configuration changed? I might buy one anyway, but I'll always leave a window cracked in summer.
  • mammothsunmammothsun Member Posts: 10
    Steve,

I live in Mammoth and have had 2 Legacys prior to the 01 I am ready to pick up at Irvine subaru. (llbean). The first one (an86)had 135000 miles before I sold it to someone in town in 92. It is still in town (with a few dents) but running o. . Then a 92 Brighten which I gave to my son in SCal with 110000 miles. He drives it as a salesman in LA traffic and still runs strong.
    We laugh when we see all the monster Ford junk drive up in the winter (half of them don't have 4WD).
    It's not the fattest car in the world, but they run forever with great gas mileage. You will not be sorry. It's the car of choice in Mammoth
    BOW, I was a little cincerned about the Stones re the recent news, but after seeing the post from Patti (a Subaru rep), and never hearing anything bad on this site about them I am not worried.
    Good Luck
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I read your post where you want to sell a new outback and replace it with a civic.
    My question to you is why? I have owned and loved Hondas for years before buying my 01 GT wagon,I have only owned this car for two months but it is superior to the 93 Accord wagon that it has replaced, I never ever believed that I would hear myself say that.

If you had said you wanted to replace the subaru with an accord I could see that but a Civic, I have a 2001 civic as a loaner at the minute and I would take my 93 Accord wagon over it anyday, it is a pretty basic little car and pretty noisy on the highway this car only has 3,000 miles on it,I would hate to see what it will be like a couple of years from now with a lot more miles on it.

Cheers Pat.
    breckco, agree with you on all counts. Sorry, I did not address the main issue in your message. Deceit at any level is unacceptable!

mammothsun, thanks for the note. I must admit I have ignored Subarus for many years, noting only the occasional acquaintance or coworker driving them, until wanting a little AWD wagon myself and discovering the make. Your notes, and the overwhelming tone of this message board (all threads) testify to the longevity of these neat little cars. And now you are headed to Irvine for your Bean, endorsing breckco's recommendation. Makes me consider giving them a call.

steve
  • mammothsunmammothsun Member Posts: 10
    The deal on the Subaru from Irvine was $100 over invoice, $45 doc fee and no garbage fees. Might have beaten it by afew bucks, but they seemed honest. All dealings over email
    Internet mgr is Desiree. They have their inventory on the net (you probably know that)
    irvinesubaru.com

Let me know how you do .
    email is jtc1@qnet.com
    mammothsun, I was aware of a "large" dealer in Irvine area, but had not looked them up or visited them (in person or by net).

Now I have, their site looks good and from the volume they claim, perhaps I can arrange a deal.

Thanks!

Steve
  • cejensencejensen Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Has anyone driven their Outback on the rough (4WD) roads of Utah, around Canyonlands? I have heard that a high clearance 4WD is required, so I have wondered if my 2000 Outback could take it. I can image that the wheel clearance is a concern, but the (relatively) soft, urbanized suspension could be trouble too.

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Chris: I'm not familiar with that area specifically, but my Foreter has been fine for the beach and for driving around orchards and farms.

Have you been before? I'd avoid boulder-hopping trails, but milder ones should be OK. You could get taller springs from iSR and higher profile tires to gain ground clearance, if you wanted, but your ride would deteriorate.

-juice
  • mortpeaberrymortpeaberry Member Posts: 69
    I want to wire trailer lights to my St wagon. the dealer has a kit for $117, and they mentioned problems with the AS if I wired an off the shelf converter. Has any one had experience with this, It seems to me that AS would not be affected buy added tail lights/converter.
    Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I think only the Forester and Outback are pre-wired for a plug-in harness, but sorry, no specific info on the GT.

You could probably splice into the taillight, but you'd need a shop manual for that (or a lot of trial and error).

-juice
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Clearance is not really the problem. The way I see it the problems with the OB off-road are:
    1) The approach and departure angles are a little wimpy to do anything serious.
    1a) No real skid plates. You can get a rear diff protector but there is not much up front
    2) No low range in US specs. If you do get stuck a little you cannot crawl out.
    3) Winch mounting hardware would have to be custom made. You can stick to light trails without one if you are careful and travel with others that have tow ropes BUT I would not go off-road solo without it.

Still, the AWD is fun on light trails. I have taken it "off-road" but only when I have been with friends that were in more serious SUVs. I never had to get pulled out of anything. Then again I try not to get over my head and kill my wifes car. I can only do this stuff when she is not around.
  • jeffsaxejeffsaxe Member Posts: 4
    Excellent advice, nematode. Both about the careful and sensible off-road driving, and about not killing one's spouse's car. :-)

I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound stupid. I've driven other people's cars, and occasionally (like in really cheaply made cars) I notice that when I'm turning the steering wheel the edge doesn't seem to stay at the same distance from the center while it's rotating. Perhaps they are bent slightly, or perhaps mounted off-center, but it certainly looks weird to me, and I wouldn't think it's intentional. Our Nissan Sentra's wheel seems absolutely circular and perfect in this regard. But recently I noticed this oddity about my Dad's Volvo, which is not a poorly made car, or at least it shouldn't be for the amount they charge!

OK, so now we've had this wonderful new Outback Limited station wagon for a few weeks, and I notice the same thing about it! And this is certainly not a cheaply made car; everything about it is finished beautifully, and we love it. Am I imagining this? The edge really does seem to move about 3/4 of an inch during a rotation. Is it a defect? Is it intentional design, trying to get a larger opening in the wheel's middle so I can see the instruments? Is it a result of the aesthetic design of the steering wheel and airbag? The mechanical design of the tilting feature? Please, somebody give me some justification for this, or tell me I'm crazy, or tell me I should go to the dealer to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance!
    Jeffsaxe, I don't know specifically about Outback wheels, but it used to be common for steering wheels to NOT be round. Particularly in the 60's and 70's it was common for wheels to be flattened a bit on the bottom, or be somewhat rectangularized (if I can make up a word). Now, if the out-of-round condition was different between turning the wheel right and left, you might have cause for concern but otherwise just enjoy.
    Steve
  • theobtheob Member Posts: 148
    My parents have been out to the Canyonlands several times in the last couple years. They would not take their 4WD Suburban on most of the trails there due to approach and departure angles. And they need 4WD just to get home 5 months of the year! Dad said you'd need a tricked-out rig w/ high clearance and high angles for many of the Canyonlands trails. There are probably trails you could take the OB on, but they'd be mostly sand. Could probably beat the SUV's on those!
    HTH, Theo