Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    My dealer does 'em for $20. I do it for less in the driveway. Granted, I bought the ramps & have to make the occasional trip to the recycling center for the waste oil, but oil, filter & a washer adds up to about 10-12 bucks. Plus, one of the kids usually likes to help. Takes twice as long that way :) but it's not a bad way to spend time with them. I'd say that was a fair trade!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The claim today is that the quality of oils, filters, engine machining and cleanup techniques negates the need for this. In fact, Honda expressly warns customers to NOT change their new engine breakin oil for a full 5000 miles. Believe me, I just got to 5k, and it has been hard to resist doing it....

On the Subi, I did it at 1100 miles, and again at 3.2k miles. Did I need to? Unknown, but it made me feel better. The key to engine wear is basic common sense. Like you, I have driven several of my new cars to well over 100k, and the engines were all in great shape.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think Paul nailed it - if you enjoy it, especially if you can spend quality time with kids or friends, then go for it.

500 mile intervals for the first 4 changes sounds excessive. I did my Forester at 1k, then 7500 miles, and both times the oil was clear, especially the first time.

I believe the drain plug is magnetic, so it would hold any metal shavings in the oil pan, where they can't harm anything.

-juice
  • heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    Damn! I just read "The Automatic Future" in Sport Compact Car magazine that summed up automatics as "Grandma's slushbox- for people who hate to drive!" Whaaaaaaaaaa! I talked to my husband last night about my feelings on the L.L. Bean automatic that I hate it and am very sad since trading in my Outback Sport. He got upset since we added $20,000 to our loan. They still have my Impreza on thier lot, but it would cost us a lot to get it back and with 2 cars payments, a new house and student loans for both of us, we have NOTHING left each month as it is, plus he is worried about loosing his job- as he is this time every year. He works in construction and it always slows down then picks up. I am sad since trading in my Impreza and I can not shake the feeling. My quaility of life is lowered significantly. Don't know why. Wish I had a crystal ball to see how I'd miss MY car so much. I feel stuck with a slushbox until at least 14 months from now when his Outback is paid-off and I can make a move with this one. I also found out the Bean deperciates much faster then the others. After a year of payments we will loose $6,000 and it will depreciate by that much too! What a huge mistake. I decided to wait until July 2003 when the 2004 models come out and get EXACTLY what I want then. I will just drive his manual Outback more often is all. If I could get my Impreza back today, I would in a second! She was so smooth- no clutch issues at all. She only had 18,000 miles on her after 3 years 3 months and 3 days of ownership. I need to letgo and get over it, but don't know how. Any suggestions?
    Heather
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In the first place? I mean seems you loved it. I personally find that there is no need for MTs except in racing situations, but that's just me.

-mike
    I have a 20-month-old child and I read the Insurance Institute safety ratings for the new Imprezas- they rate the BEST overall and mine rated Average overall and POOR on frontal offset accidents. I kept pictureing myself dead in my car and my child alive in the back seat. I've had my share of car crashes! Since I was 15 everyone says I look just like Lady Diana and she died at my age in a car crash. I felt jinxed. Plus the size of the Impreza is small for a child and my husband is too tall to fit in it at all with the baby seat behind him. And if we have a second child, I could not drive it with a baby seat behind the drivers seat at all. I am 5'11". Plus the lack of a big trunk. The Outback has a lot of room for her stroller plus groceries. Yes I loved my car, but I wanted safety and more rear legroom for my tall child and a car that would be drivable if we had a second child. And my Impreza had no rear headrests, so once Sara outgrew the safety seat, she'd have no head rest. O.K. and it was LOUD on the freeway. I had to crank the stereo up to 22 volume. I guess I feel old without my small cute compact sports car. I will be 37 in 2 weeks. Do you think a L.L. Bean is a granny mobile? You'd think I convinced myself that I (we) made the right choice, but I still feel heartsick.
    Heather
    Seems that you made the right choice. My bet is that due to the better insulation, the LL Bean feels slower and less nimble than the impreza. I feel the same when I go from my XT6 to my aunt's SVX, even though the SVX is much faster and handles at least as well as my XT6.

-mike
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    First off, don't let what someone wrote in a subjective article like that detract from your enjoyment of a nice vehicle, or more importantly, your opinion of yourself. In other words, don't pay attention to what others may think. After all, YOU ARE what YOU think you are.

Given your needs I think you made the right decision, and if you put your mind to it you'll enjoy having the power of the H6 plus all the amenities. It would be downright silly to trade it back at this point.

If you're still totally bummed I'll trade you even-up for my base Outback w/ 5sp :>)
    The Bean is not a granny mobile at all, IMO. In fact I see many younger folks driving them. Outbacks are trendy and I think people will see you and think of you as educated, no-nonsense, and environmentally friendly (LEV, good gas mileage). You are unselfish, too, thinking of your kids safety first, and giving them their very own moonroof. They'll love you for it.

Look at is this way - this is a phase in your life where you just need to be a little practical. There's nothing wrong with that, it's plain smart, actually.

I'm sure you will own a dozen more cars in your lifetime, so when you look at the big picture, my crystal ball shows a WRX 5 speed in your future. :-)

Your Bean has every features imaginable. It's almost ridiculous. People spend $10 grand, even $20 grand more than you did to get the same equipment in less reliable, less enjoyable cars.

I say enjoy the luxury, the pampering, the practicality. And know that the slushbox saves wear and tear on your knees, so when you're in your 40s you can take your kids to autocross, and race with them instead of just watching.

The crystal ball says your future looks so bright, you need to wear shades!

-juice
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Csa anyone tell me where to get tech advice on 2002 Outback? Like headlight aim.
    Yes I did make the right choice for my family. My husband loves the L.L. Bean and he really wanted one. He strongly encouraged me to trade-in my car for it. I know it is much safer then my OBS was- my 20 MPH head-on last week proves that! If I was in my OBS she'd be mooshed with her shorter bumper, since the van hit me right at the top of the bumper! Luckily only the bumper needs to be replaced and the car was undamaged! This proves the Bean is one strong car! And yes, even at 20-month's my Sara loves the Bean. So far it is the only car she will fall asleep in. I think she likes the light interior and the legroom. Yes, I can still have my WRX or new OBS someday when we are sure there is no second child in our future that is. It's not just the article, EVERYONE at the i-club makes Slushbox comments to me. You guys are way more emathetic here! I guess I Club is for Impreza's anyway. I can still drive my husband's, well now my, 2001 Outback manual in the deep sapphire blue. She is really improved with the Michelin Pilot tires and the spoiler I had put on her last week! Only wish it had WRX seats. I think those seats lean back too much and are not bolstered enough on the sides. I am not comfortable in them. My only complaint really. Thanks for listening!
    Heather
    I-club is a bunch of kids who are wanna-be racers. They tried pulling that slush-box crap with me too, right up until I smacked their little wee-wees with my XT6 AUTOMATIC in auto-x versus their WRXs and RSs with MANUAL Trannies.

Come over to the Tri-state forum and you'll see a group of i-clubbers who doesn't ditch on ATs...

-mike

PS: Which forum on I-club are they ditching on ATs? I'll jump in there and put em in their place.
    Can anyone help out Gary? Noone ever re-aimed their headlights?

Gary: call 800-SUBARU3, or visit the web site and e-mail them for assistance. Or maybe a dealer would show you?

Heather: kids are fun too, have two and you'll have your own pit crew! :-)

Some people say i Club stand for "immature club" at times. Stick with us, we'll treat you better than that.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Would had liked to help, but I've got a '98 OB.
    Don't know how the '00+ MYs works. On the '98, you'll have to work with both top and bottom (pain in the b'hind) knobs. The top controls more of the up/down aim and the bottom more of the left/right aim.

-Dave
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Heather,

I understand how you can feel on the I-Club, however it does depend on where you are. I have an OB and participate on the Tri-State Forum occasionally. While most of them are Impreza "fanatics" I have found that our group have treated me right. It could be because Paisan keeps them in shape, but I have found them to be a fun group of people who encourage everyone to join in and have fun! Enjoy your Bean wagon, its a nice ride!

Mark
    Eons ago on this board there was a discussion about using a conditioning fluid for keeping the rubber seals around doors and windows in good shape. I believe someone recommended a GM product.

Call me lazy, but I don't feel like scrolling thru 5,500 posts in order to find it.

Can anyone make a current recommendation for such a product?
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    Rob - I pulled the artice from a web site. If I can find it again I'll post the URL, if not I could email the article to you...it's too long to post here.

It went into more detail than most people will ever want to know. The guy pulled them apart to discover how they compared internally, and this also revealed that some were identical even though different brands. If I remember correctly he used them in both standard and tweaked engines but didn't have the ability to analyse the oil afterwards, so it is a theoretical comparison based on construction.
    I only post in the Legacy forum there and have heard Slushbox on a number of occasions plus they think the Outback is dirt compared to the GT. I wrote to Subaru and the only difference is the GT has stiffer springs and slightly lower profile tires. Other then the Outback being on 1 inch blocks- they are identical! They say trying to mod my Outback's for performance is like trying to turn a Suburban into a Ferreri! You are right, I should stay out of there! They are not helping me feel better about my cars at all.
    Heather
    Outback actually get more features, like seat back map pockets and cross bars for the roof rack. There are lots of little things the other Legacys don't come with. Not to mention a certain boxer 6.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Rob: I keep it simple - spray some silicone spray (same thing we use on the CV boots) on to a cloth, then wipe the rubber seals. I try to do it a coulde times a year, but always & at least before winter - seems to keep the doors from freezing shut quite so much.

Cheers!
    Paul
    Sure does. Nice tip.

-juice
  • cynthiagcynthiag Member Posts: 63
    I'm sorry you are missing your old car, but safety is important, especially when you have children. Me, I've always driven an automatic, so I don't miss what I never had. As it turns out, even if I wanted to learn, it would be a bad idea because the last thing my arms would need would be to shift all the time. Not to mention my knees and ankles, which aren't too good either.

Anyway, I think if I were you, for the time being, I'd stay away from the boards that are bashing your new car. I'm getting a lot of head turns with my Outback, and I just have the base model! It handles differently from my old Camry, and I miss the feel of the old car a bit, but I love the ride in the Outback. Speed bumps, railroad tracks, ruts and holes in the road are nothing to this car! Mostly, right now I miss the Camry's seats... the Subaru seat and I are still getting used to each other. Or maybe my back is sore for another reason.

Anyway, I think I'd concentrate on getting a feel for the new car. When you miss your old car, think of how much safer you and your family are in the new one. I think of my car as my little tankette... TOUGH! STURDY! VERSATILE!

Cynthia
    Paul - thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Rob
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Does anyone have the previous link to 2003 Legacy photos from the NYC auto show? I remember seeing it awhile ago. Thanks!
    There are links to the NY auto-show there.

-mike
  • donbensondonbenson Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a recommendation for replacement tires for my 2001 4 cyclinder Outback Wagon. Thanks for any advice offered.
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    I put Dunlop SP Sport A2s on my '99 Forester "S" in March. They are terrific 3 season tires and are also OK in snow and slush. In winter I run snow & ice tires; Cooper Weathermaster XGTs, 215/70/15 on steel "L" takeoff rims. A couple of weeks back others discussed Nokians NRWs(?), as well as BF Goodrich Control TAs & Michelin Symmetrys in the 205/70/15 size. Outback wheel & tire sizes should be similar. You might also check the last few weeks on the Forester board and the Aftermarket & Accessorie "Tires Tires Tires" board.

John
    Hey- I just put on Michelin Pilot XGT-A4's on BOTH my Outbakcs last week, What a difference! Go to www.tires.com they are availble with FREE shipping, or if you live rear CA at American Tires. I love them! Good for All-Weather traction plus a much better road feel and ride! Amazing what a tire can do! They were only $113 each plus free installation. AMAZING!
    Heather
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    I can't bear to see you suffer any longer. I'll swap you my 2000 OB 5 speed for your Bean. Its a big sacrifice, but such is my altruistic nature.

YetAnotherDave
    P.S. I'll throw in the cargo net, too.
    How unselfish of you!

-juice

PS How did the talk with the hubby go, Heather?
  • 20llbean20llbean Member Posts: 83
    I been away from the site for sometime so it's catch-up with everyone. Heather, I am sorry to see that you have some regrets concerning the LLBean. I have owned my Bean (timberline green) for almost a year now with 14K miles on it. I don't regret ever purchasing the car and believe me my car search took about 7 months of active search to go from SUV or wagon, Passat or Volvo or Outback finally to the Outback. It wasn't a financial decision on the Bean, I can afford any of three mentioned even loaded, but it can down to a total package that sided with the Bean. The total package being the reliability of the car, the price, the extra value in the luxury package, the dealership, on an on. My only problem resides with the tires, I have had the car to the dealer three times since I brought to rebalance the tires as they create too much highway speed shimmy in the steering wheel. My wife gets the car during the week and I have it on the weekend to haul my kids to their various weekend activities including lacrosse and hockey and all the gear that goes with the two sports, especially hockey. It is not a quick accelerating car but I DID NOT BUY for being a quick car, my V6 Accord provides that for me. It is our family car meant for long trips and hauling gear and being comfortably along the way. And at 3700+ lbs, it wasn't meant to a rocket from zero. I have had the car upto 105 MPH and it rides exceptionally well. It is not a granny mobile, maybe the I-club thinks it is but there is no way that the I-car can hold my hockey gear and son's gear that we need to carry around. That's not even mentioning the golf clubs. At this period of your life (with all the responsibilities you have) you have made a wise choice. I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years, trends don't really impact me. Good luck!
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Heather - I agree with Rich. I find my OB, auto fun to drive, however, I do wish it was a 5 spd. Even so, I would not trade it. As for i-club, a bunch of 20 year olds have no idea what they are talking about - they are still trying to figure out who they are.

Rich - you play hockey? Me too! Got our butt kicked Saturday night (lost some players to golf for the spring). Anyway, I find my hockey bag fits perfectly in the back and with a low entry level it helps with a tired back after the game, late at night.

Greg
    Yeah, I try to play! Actually I started to play Inline hockey more as their is a proliferation of inline rinks that are enclosed (not exposed to the elements) and the skating times are much more conducive to my daily life. I play in the 'old dogs' league (bunch of guys over 35) but still go out for the open ice hockey games a couple of times a month with the young bucks. Also, I coach 10 to 14 year old's on the weekend. I played ice last saturday and got hit in the back of the leg, still hurts. I will tell you that the seat warmers on LLbean are fantastic after a night of skating. Just what is needed to keep the lower back loose.
    Love those heated seats. Especially after my seat sees a lot of ice. ;)

Greg
    Well I talked to hubby. He got very upset to say the least. We've been through too many cars and too much $$$ lost over the last 7 years.

Anyway, once he calmed down- 2 days later- We drove my 2002 OBS on Mother's Day. I loved it and so did he! I did not expect him to love it. He said, "It is butt ugly, but it has a lot more road feel and a fun factor that the Outbacks could never have." He will let me trade-in his 2001 Outback for it. It will be the same payments except 6 months longer. We'd loose the extra trunk space, the better brakes, the limited slip differential. But I'd feel happier and gain the fun factor back. I am an Impreza person through and through. We'd still have the Bean for long road trips in luxury and style. I was regretting the $$$ more then anything. The Bean added $20,000 and 4 years to my OBS loan! But I do LOVE it! Only hope she does not bankrupt us in the process. I don't work and hubby is in construction- a very volitile profession to say the least! Also, the tire place www.tires.com said I could take back my old tires and exchange the new ones for new OBS tires for FREE! That is so nice of them- please shop there! So it's up to me, but it would cost more then the 2001 Outback and it does not depreciate as well either. This would be my 4th Impreza! The Bean is our 4th Legacy. Needless to say we've been through a lot of cars over the last several years! We had reasons for them all, but this one is purely emotional on my part. The 2001 Outback is perfect (except for sqeaky brakes and a speaker is out)and has only 5,900 miles on it!
    My birthday is next week. We will see how it turns out. Either hubby will mellow out and let me do it, or say NO MORE CARS for good! He'd have to give up his Outback that is manual and drive the Bean. He prefers manuals more then I do too, so it would be a big sacrafice on his part. I will let him drive my OBS though once in a while! She's a keeper if I get this one and so is Green bean!

Thanks for your concern and replies during this confusing time!!
    Heather
    It's your call, but what price can you put on happiness?

He likes manuals too, so my unsolicited opinion is that he shouldn't have pushed you into an automatic. Letting him drive that car just seems appropriate.

As far as the looks go, who cares, it'll be yours anyway. I find them endearing, spunky. They stand out from the crowd.

Good luck.

-juice
    Somewhat good news. You should be happy with what you drive. Your saga reads like a soap opera though - "The Impreza and it's Legacy" starring Heather Outback and Hubby Green Bean. :-)
    Personally I like the way the OBS looks and after studying the RS vs. WRX vs. OBS and what you get in each, I can easily see why someone would choose the OBS (although I can see why anyone would choose any Subaru).

Really nice of Tires.com to do that for you. I will have to keep that in mind. We are ripping through tires this year and maybe my OB will get a new set for next winter. Then it is guaranteed not to snow.

Greg
    LOL Greg!

-juice
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    I envy you! I wish I could have LL Bean! Seriously, since you have an infant, so I think it's always better to have at least one hand free (as you do with automatic!) IMHO automatics are a lot more user-friendly for everyday driving.

Feeling better already? :)))
    I'll trade you for my Miata (5 speed) for a day. You in the DC area?

It's fun, but also cramped, loud, harsh, windy, etc. Get back in the Bean and it will seem like a limo.

-juice
    I actually know what I want! After a week my decision remains the same- 2002 OBS. I had my 1999 OBS for 3 years, 3 months and 3 days. Here's the real story as to why I traded her in...

My husband, has the 2001 manual Outback. It has the clutch studder and the brakes squeal and the dealer says nothing is wrong. Anyway, for a month now he was talking about an automatic but did not explain why. He wanted a truck. I knew we could not afford 3 car payments. We tried to fit a baby seat in the back of a Nissan CrewCab truck, but it would not fit at all with anyone in the front seats. No way! Then he mentioned the L.L. Bean. It was our 11th wedding anniversary and Chico did not have one, so we took a drive to Redding in the OBS. He was so crammed in the back seat and the wind noise was so loud we could not even speak to one another. They had the Timberline Greeb Bean there and we both fell head over heals. We bought it 2 days later by trading in my car. I was being rational- bigger, smoother, nicer, safer, etc.
    I did not think I was so attached to my Little Sister OBS.

One week later- Heartache over OBS. Still there 6 weeks later. Rational does not follow the heart! I am not a drone nor am I a vulcan. Although I LOVE Star trek! We drove new OBS and love it even better! And it's much safer and quieter then the old one. It has more rear leg room but less cargo room it seems like. The stroller fits fine and that's all I need for now. My Specialized 2000 Enduro Sport in silver will look great on it and I can actually reach my bike now! I am 5'11" and still can not reach my bike on top of the Outback's with the Yakima cross bars. Too tall!

We do not like the look of 2 Outbacks in the garage. Looks like 2 of the same cars. I miss the fun factor of the OBS and how easy it is to see out of and manuever. It will cost the same per month but he'd have to give up his Outback.
    I don't want him upset and I don't want to be unhappy either. By this wekend we should know for sure what to do. OBS OBS OBS OBS! If you all chant that maybe it will happen for me!
    Heather

In another thread you mentioned WRX wagon, too. Those are fun rides.

One key thing: make sure whatever you choose becomes YOUR car, and he gets the LL Bean. As a matter of fact, if he falls too heavily for the WRX, you may still end up with the Bean, and not be happy.

If that's the case, pick the OBS so he knows it's yours.

-juice
    buy 2 WRXs.
  • cynthiagcynthiag Member Posts: 63
    Hope you get what you want, Heather!

I'm a big believer in that, myself, a car is a BIG THING. And we spend a lot of time in them. Why spend that kind of money only to be unhappy? That's why I'm picky about stuff like exterior and interior colors, and how a car feels to me, because I know that I will want to like it for a long time and feel good about it.

Of course, I am somewhat different in my tastes, and often must look at the trunk of a car before anything else. My fun-factor having to do with how much stuff I can haul. ;^)

So go for that OBS!

Cynthia
  • oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    My last two weeks have been awful. Tursday two weeks ago, I parked in front of a very nice golf course near Buckhead accross the street from $400K bungalos to go for an afternoon club ride. After the ride, I had already loaded my road bike into the back of my Bean when a buddy of mine (parked just in front of me) says 'hey someone broke into my car and stole my bag!' I looked over at mine and sure enough...theyd gotten me as well. The jammed something between the b-pillar and the window to force it open..this shattered the glass, tore the rubber gasket, damaged the metal spine under the rubber, the trim on the inside was torn and the door surround trim was scratched. Of course, my gym bag with all my belongings was gone as well.

The good news is: after two weeks, I now have my car back all fixed. It took so long because of insurance needing to look at it again and waiting on parts. It also took a while because some service work was also performed. The service work consisted of turning all four rotors on the car and re-aligning the car. Last week, I met with the local district rep to let him feel how my brakes would progressively vibrate worse as they heated up, and how the car would pull ever so slightly to one side.

The brakes have been a sore spot for me...supposedly, another Subaru dealer here in town put new rotors and pads on at 16k miles because of warped rotors, but here I am at 27K and they were doing it again, but worse. The local rep felt that it would be best to turn the rotors on the vehicle and make up for any anomolies in ths hub...I just hope 10K mi from now I am not back at square 1.

The alignment was kinda weird...although the car was within spec, each setting was somewhere near one extreme or another of the limits. The rep felt it would be best if the alignment was re-done, but this time trying to make all measurements as close to spec as possible.

Bottom line is, for now the car looks and drives like new (or better since its broken in!)

BTW...my rental car for the last couple of weeks was a Focus...not a bad car but it sure makes me appreciate my Bean!

Also, I recommend Classic Cadillac/Subaru in Sandy Springs to anyone looking for a trustworthy and reliable dealer here in Atlanta. Far supperior to those jokers in Alpharetta!

-r
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    From post 5497:

"The alignment was kinda weird...although the car was within spec, each setting was somewhere near one extreme or another of the limits. The rep felt it would be best if the alignment was re-done, but this time trying to make all measurements as close to spec as possible."

We need more like this rep. If a spec. is 2 degrees, plus/minus 0.5 degrees, it's absurd to think that 2.5 degrees is OK, but 2.51 degrees is bad.

Often, spec. tolerances are based more on manufacturing/assembly capability, and less on vehicle performance. We should not accept a dealer's statement that "it's in spec." We need to ask where the measurement falls in the spec. range. If it's near one of the limits, push for an adjustment.
    No offense but unless you are willing to pay to have them change the alignment or what not, if it is in spec then there is no reason why they shouldn't leave it alone. Unless of course you'd like to pay $50K for your car initially cause then they just don't need to charge you for on the cuff adjustments outside spec. Why do you think they have specs and tolerances, for the heck of it? Do YOU know better than the engineers who wrote the spec?

-mike
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    oclvframe,
    My 2001 Bean also has a brake problem. I had the front rotors resurfaced at 10K, now at 22.5K I have the same grind/pulse feel when braking. I'm bringing it in next week. I'll post the results...
    Ralph
  • jcy02objcy02ob Member Posts: 16
    Hi-1st time poster and the owner of a new '02 OB. I've noticed something and it has me a bit concerned and would appreciate any input or experience. I've noticed a whistling/whining noise at speeds above 60. It doesn't seem drivetrain related as it doesn't get louder or softer with gas pedal variations. Also, I took off the roofrack crossbars to see if this had any affect but the noise was still there. The car has about 200 miles on it and the noise was present from the beginning. Please respond if this sounds familiar to anyone.