Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• samhamedsamhamed Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply, I need advice on buying Subaru extended warranty or not. I always thought that Subaru are the best cars. I had Honda, Nissan, and the last one was Acura CL type S traded it for the Subaru. Yes got sick of the Tranny failure with 11,000 miles and all the rattles and noise..,Now, I have been learnning from you guys about the problem with phase II 2.5 engine and I am worried about the future problem. Is the warranty worth it. $1200.00
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Here's some info I have from i-club. NO idea if it's accurate or not!

"Phase I or Phase II?

From larry ganz's imprezars.com
    "Be sure you have a Phase II motor before ordering - the 99 Impreza should be a Phase II but most Legacy models used a Phase I in 1999. You can tell if you have a phase II motor because the air plenum behind the motor has three metal clips that will allow you to open it and insert an extra air filter, and all three vacuum lines from valve covers and crank case will go to the air plenum, with NO vacuum lines to the intake tubing."

from section8
    A way to tell for sure is by looking at the timing belt cover in front of the heads, if there is one pully (nice semi-circular end to the cover) it is a SOHC, if there is two (a sort of square end with two rounded corners), it is a DOHC.

from pleiades
    Ok, on the passenger side of the engine block. Look down at the block just behind the power steering pump. You will see the words "Japan". Just in front of that will be either 1 ridge or 2 ridges (approx. 3-4 inches long) If there is one ridge, it's a phase 2 block, if there are two ridges it's a phase 1 block"

HTH,
    Jim
  • bravadajonbravadajon Member Posts: 60
    I just noticed on the driver side - rear wagon window -this series of wires in the glass. Is this part of the defrost system or an antenna? I have the little rubber stubby antenna on the roof and OnStar on my 03 Beaner Wagon. The wires looks just like the rear gate defroster wires, but why would not it be on both sides of the wagon comparment? Curious...thanks.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Thanks jfl. jfl said in post #6804:

"from pleiades
    Ok, on the passenger side of the engine block. Look down at the block just behind the power steering pump. You will see the words "Japan". Just in front of that will be either 1 ridge or 2 ridges (approx. 3-4 inches long) If there is one ridge, it's a phase 2 block, if there are two ridges it's a phase 1 block"

Can someone with a 98 Outback who has not had their shortblock replaced please do me a favor?

I just looked at my block and I only see one ridge under the word Japan (towards the front of the car, as though it were underlining the word Japan). If I understood the post correctly, it appears my replacement block is indeed a Phase II block, which would be good, I think. Can someone WITHOUT a new block check and see if they see two ridges under the word "Japan"? I would appreciate it.

Additionally, the part number listed on my invoice states "Shortblock E, Part Number 10103AB010". Anyone know of an easy way to trace down this P/N?

Thanks.
    If it is like our Expedition it is the antenna.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    are the antenna.

Eric
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I don't think Subaru makes any of the Phase I blocks anymore so if you did have the shortblock swapped, it would most likely be a Phase II.

Early on, dealers used to swap out the entire shortblock to remedy piston slap, but quite often, the costly repair did nothing since they were not fixing the problem -- the skirtless pistons. If the dealer did directly address your problem, my guess is that you got just the modified pistons.

There are many posts on i-club about how to identify your shortblock, but IIRC, the ridge method wasn't always accurate.

Ken
  • uffdaoleuffdaole Member Posts: 37
    Karl,right on! repl block does nothing for original problem,further more all are rebuilt, not new. Zman, my request to change pistons, believing would be getting latest updated (if any) BTW original invoice from 99 shows same part # for block. I believe you do have phaseII. I have piston part#s and going to get info from parts dept next week regarding same. uffda
    What is i-club?

Thanks.
    Thanks Eric...so that thing on the roof is for the OnStar?
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Karl,

i-club is the North American Subaru Impreza Owner's Club: www.nasioc.com

While the majority of members own Imprezas, there are separate Legacy and Forester forums. There's lots of technical information available there (and a more robust search engine to find that information). I often frequent i-club in addition to Edmund's.

Ken
    Thanks Ken. I can always use yet another site for info.

Karl
  • sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    Looking through the brochure for the 2003 Outback, There was a picture caption that read "Leather seating surfaces" but listed "Leather Trimmed Upholstery" in the specifications.

Could somebody please tell me if the seating surface is real leather or an immitation. I am looking at the Outback Limited, which comes with leather, but I am worried about breathability in the summer.

Thanks for your help
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    "Leather seating surface" means that the seats are "trimmed" with leather. The part of the seat that you actually sit on is genuine leather, the rest of the seat isn't. As far as I know, this is a common industry practice, except in high-end cars.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    this has been thrashed over numerous times, some people say its a waste of $$, others who keep their car a long time think its worth it. I lost money on one on a 92 Legacy and I have broken even already on my 98. On my wifes Chevy van I 'll be way ahead the way things are going (if we don't dump the POS). I am a firm believer in them if you plan on keeping them for a long time.
    Only thing I would say is get a good price, I wouldn't settle for less than a 1/3 off the "list" price. Also IMHO a manufacturers warranty is less hassle though you are then limited to a dealership for repairs. If you can't get a good deal at your dealer go to subaruwarranty.com
    Today I received that letter from Subaru about the recall on that tranny pin.

I set the parking brake always.

I don't have the time to let the dealer have the vehicle for the whole day to fix this. I gotta get to/from work so I can make the car payments. What a hassle!

I will forget the recall and just make sure to set the parking brake.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sure cptplt meant Pretty Old Subaru! :-)

tidester, host
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    My GT and OB both have 1 ridge. My friend's earlier build-date OB has the dreaded 2 ridges. So far, this is the most reliable method of ID. We have ongoing discussions about this at ww.nasioc.com in the Legacy forum; I think we've all decided this is the easiest way to tell so far.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Chevrolet, building a better way to see the USA - Parked, Overheated and Stuck!!
    Hehe, be on best behaviour from now on!
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    I live in Canada, can anyone tell me where, online, I can find invoice prices, holdbacks etc on Subaru, and other brands. The only places I've found all want $20.00 for info on two cars. (ripoff!) Edmunds doesn't accept our postal codes.
    I want to know as exactly as possible before I go in there.
    thanks,
    cdndriver
  • mjmille7mjmille7 Member Posts: 10
    I noticed after driving home on Thanksgiving weekend, 150 miles in a snow storm, that the brakes appeared to freeze when ever I stopped. (Outback Base) I noticed this the last 20 miles or so. After being stopped at a light, I would hear a "pop" as I started driving, and it felt like the brakes released, and that the calipers or whatever had been frozen. On a slight down incline, I also noticed that the car didn't move when in neutral. My car wasn't affected by the Master Cylinder recall which could freeze on in freezing temps. Is this common in snow country?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This subject comes up now and then, and I've yet to hear of a source for "free" prices in Canada like Edmunds and Kelley, et. al. do in the States. Used to be just one place you could buy invoice prices up there, so at least you have a choice of where to spend your money!

If you (or anyone) finds any place to get Canadian invoice prices, please yell.

Steve, Host
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Just a little fyi I have a 02 obw with 18k miles on it . It was diagnoised with piston slap at 7k miles . My DSR says that subaru has done a lot of testing ,and that they have found out that it has no effect onthe engine . He said that they only replace the short block if the noise is present at all times . There have been some others on here that have had the timing belt tensioner replaced and that cured the problem . I have my fingers crossed hoping mine will be fine .

Mike k
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Off last week and didn't get a chance to check in. We got about 4" of snow. Unfortunately, the roads are still relatively warm and by the time my wife left in the OB, it wasn't much of a challenge (roads were clear). Therefore, I can't give you an honest opinion on the Sport A2s. Consumers recently rated them highly (with good snow performance). Even so, this is my first AWD so I don't know what to expect and how to compare the tires. Very little snow last year with Firestones on.

Greg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    On those brakes, I'd have them serviced. I bet the pistons are siezing. They should use a specific type of grease to lube the pistons before putting the caliper back together. Bleed the brakes while you're at it.

Congrats, Sam, and welcome.

Honda/Acura had at least 24,000 trannies fail, but they did finally fess up and agreed to pay for those. I hope you were reimbursed, if not look into it further.

Should you get Subaru Gold? To me, it was worth it. I got a 7/100 B2B warranty with 0 deductible. That includes roadside assistance for 7 years (saved me $497 in AAA fees). It also includes a loaner for any repairs, and you pretty much get red carpet treatment from any dealer. Top all that off with better resale if a little warranty is left over, and it's worth it to me. If I make zero claims, I still might break even.

-juice
  • irish24irish24 Member Posts: 43
    Some ins. companies have roadside assist that can be added VERY inexpensively to your ins. We pay $12 yr per car (thru USAA) If we breakdown, have a flat, or need to be towed. no deductible on it. We have used it once or twice. Once I had to deal w the consequences the day after as my husband was heading to the airport and knew where I wanted the car towed...no prob w that so I paid the bill and was reimbursed in very short time. no waiting for the tow.
    Sounds like a good alternative, much cheaper than AAA.

-juice
  • dudedude Member Posts: 123
    cptplt, I'd definatelly consider it. One of the reasons for that is now days there are so many electronics in cars, they can pretty much break any moment. And while your powertrain can still be functional, you'll probably shell out hundreds if not thousands of dollars for non-mechanical breakdown.
  • samhamedsamhamed Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your valuable advice. I am enjoying my Leagacy LS very much. It is more fun to drive than the 260 hp Acura. Steering touque is a big issue with FW drive. My ins dropped and no longer need 93 gas. What do I need to do to keep the car over 200k miles other than reg maintenance schedule. I just can't offered more cars going forward.
    Stick to the more strict maintenance schedule. The 60k and 90k services are key.

-juice
  • brightonownerbrightonowner Member Posts: 5
    Cdndriver - www.autobytel.ca may be of some help to you.
    Hi,
    thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Well, I drove a Subie today. I drove a brand new 2002 Outback sedan, h6 w/ vdc. I had lots of fun in the parking lots doing tight turns, hitting the brakes hard, and zipping on the expressway. The Mc stereo was crackling alot, and the heater fan was really noisy even on low, otherwise a very nice impressive car. I couldn't drive the GT which is more what I was looking for, but the guy was eager to deal on teh H6. Around 38, plus there would be an incentive too. But the problem was that my head kept hitting the ceiling, even with the seat on it's lowest setting and forget about the back seat, I can't sit up straight at all. The hair on the ceiling was starting to bug me after awhile, because it's very cold here right now (-17C) the static built up and my hair (what is left of it) was sticking straight up. (I must have looked silly coming back in from the drive with my hair straight up ;-) Anyway, I may have to pass on it because of this height thing. Otherwise, I'm very impressed withthe car.
    Last night I drove a VW Passat 4mo. I wanted the vr6, but they just had the W8. Wow! what a car. As the otherguys say: Zoom Zoom Zoom.
    I swung past the Saab dealer ship to have a look. they said because they also sell Satrun that there's no dickering on the price. The sales room was empty...but they wouldn't even consider it. Looks like I'm going to go used. The vw guy was really pressuring me to lease a new one, rather than get a used Vr6. But I'm not sure a bout a lease. Anyway. I'm impressed by the Subie, I'm just too tall.
    regards,
    cdndriver
    I guess you don't want the H4 Outback? Without a moonroof, headroom is generous.

Look at a Forester, also. Even with the moonroof headroom is amazing. I can wear a hat and still have space. A turbo arrives in June.

Think about it, 200hp in a light, nimble Soob, huge moonroof, loaded up nicely for far less than a 4Mo.

-juice
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    It was 0 here this morning .. warmed all the way up to 21 .... (better than yesterday)
  • sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    I'm curious as to how tall you are. I have ordered a 2003 Outback and the first time I tried it, my hair brushed the ceiling and I was about to look elsewhere.

I saw a brochure on the internet and there was an advertised seat tilt feature, which I did not notice when I looked at it the first time.

Try the tilt feature (on the power seats) and slip the seatback back one notch.

To use the tilt switch, slightly rock the seat height and forward/back control. That will lower the back of the seat cushion and give you a little more room.

Let me know how that goes
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I was at my inlaws house over the holiday. While my aunt was backing out of her double wide drive way she hit my outback. pass side front fender,both front and back doors scratched and long cuts int the lower cladding . Her car slight scratches ,she drives 94 lincoln town car .Guess I'll have to take a trip to the auto body shop when I get home . Hope everybody else had a happy and safe holiday.

Mike k
    I am 6'4" and 230lbs. and drive a 03 Beaner Wagon (with moonroofs). I have the seat slightly tilted back; have about half inch of head room (I don't have much of a hairdo). The Forester has more headroom, but I found the clearance from the side of the door frame near my head too close.
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for your ideas. I may go have another look. I'd thought of the forrester, but I don't like it as much. I wasn't able to try the Legacy Special Edition, which is what I was thinking of in the first place. It doesn't come with a moonroof like in the States. I don't know why, it's about the same amount of money. I was just hoping for a moonroof. (my little girl is intrigued by them, too) The Legacy GT which I tried,was way to small in the back seat. I don't know how anyone over 5'6" can get in there and be comfortable for any length of time. So many nice cars to choose from...it's hard to decide. I will go have another look.
    Oh, as for the turbo, we won't be getting one here for awhile. The salesman I spoke with is Russian and said that in Europe, they have turbos on the outback and others. If you watch the video on VDC, (which is pretty neat!) You can see a little scoop, like the previous body style on the hood, especially in the British vehicle. Also he said there is a limited porduction there called the "Blitzen" which is a twin turbo version. Now that would be fun to see here!
    regards,
    cdndriver
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Turbo Forester will be here in the states pretty soon. Juice? (I think 2004 as a 2005 MY). Don't hold your breath for something quite as entertaining as Blitzen, but some sort of B4-ish Legacy will bow in North America for the 2005 model year.
    Now lets not get started again. My mouth is starting to water!

Mike - sorry to hear about your little mishap. Should be good as new when fixed.

Greg
    Mike: sorry to hear that. A lead sled will do that do a smaller car with plastic cladding meant to protect from dings, not bangs.

Here's another head room solution - start balding, like me!

Was that GT a sedan? Those have less rear head room and generally don't feel nearly as spacious IMO.

We're expecting a turbo Forester in June next year. The Baja will get a turbo, too, SIA has announced production of that engine will start next summer.

The Forester is made in Japan, though, so we're still not 100% certain what exactly that engine will be, but rumors point to a 2.5l turbo for both, with about 200hp.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    is claimed to be the WRX engine in the Forester. 2.5 Turbo is rumored to be in the Legacy Turbo but with substantially more HP ~250 - 260 and tons of torque. Wish they bring the Legacy sooner.... :-(
    Where'd you hear those rumors, though? US dealers are telling a different story.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    look over in 'Future' for a quote from C&D I posted.

-Brian
    How about the 3.0L 6 cyl engine in the Forester?

Dump that wimpy 2.5L in all models. How about that 3,0L with a turbo.... Why have all the these different versions of the pancake engine...keep it simple and powerful.
    Our first snow in STL...only 4" but traffic was a mess...

The 03 LL Beaner Wagon did great...bypassed a major traffic blockage by heading for the ice covered hills... no problem.

When I accelerate the rear wheels dig in and the front wheels seem to spin a bit... but I still keep a straight path. Okay, not so much pedal, but I can't help it.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The 4EAT will adapt to your acceleration habits over time and plan-ahead properly that you need more traction in the rear rather than the front. Not exactly sure how much time it needs though.

Enjoy the snow!

-Brian
  • hashmanhashman Member Posts: 33
    Its winter here in the "North Coast" (Cleveland, OH). Still pondering on cheap good tires. Has anyone tried the Kumho Ecsta HP4716 on their Subie? or the Firestones' Firehawk Touring LH?
    I have the Dunlop Sport A2s on. About $90 through tirerack. Will find out today how well they do in snow. I have Yokohama Aegis LS4s on my Sienna. Very good, inexpensive tire. Good in snow. Only $46/tire at tirerack. However, they are not H rated and wore fairly quickly (need replacing soon at 25K miles although I think this is typical of minivans).

Greg
    Got in today no problem, 6" of snow. Gotta love AWD!

It's funny to see the FWD cars slipping climing hills. In fact, I think that's their achilles' heel.

-juice