Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• solvesolve Member Posts: 5
    The 83 Chevy StarCraft is a Limited Edition and on the StarCraft paperwork it says the model is a SE301. Thank you again for all the help jboater, it seems you come to a lot of peoples rescue.

I wish I could get some of the Explorer owners to chime in with some info on there dealings. The Explorer rep all of sudden disappeared when I started asking for some pricing, so I called HQ and they won't talk, they say I have to talk to the regional rep.
  • jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    I'll check the book Monday and post for you.

Jerry
    You're welcome!

Jerry
    solve,

NADA lists a SE 300 for '93 and a SE 301 for '94.
    The '93 300 whsle 1920. retail 2430.
    The '94 301 whsle 1790. retail 2260.

check Edmunds for cargo chassis value.

Jerry
    Jerry,

Thanks for the information on the StarCraft.

*** EXPLORER VAN INFORMATION ***

For everyone else that is looking for a new Conversion van here is my experience(opinion/information) on Explorer.

1. If Explorer treats customers they way the treat prospects, don't buy one! Here is why.
    I sent e-mails to HQ, and to the regional rep, I also called HQ and the regional rep, I paged the regional rep. And guess what. No one would call me back and no one responded back to my e-mails. I finally reached someone at HQ on the phone and they would not talk to me they said I had to talk to the regional rep....who doesn't return calls, e-mails or pages.

2. Quality - the van does seem very well made, and I have not heard anything to change that feeling.

3. Price - I was looking at a 2000 GMC with the X package (fully loaded all the bells and whistles) sport top. The sticker price was $46,900. I got the GMC dealer in Manassas, VA. down to $39,500. He told me his cost on the van was $37,000. If he went below 39,500 he felt he was not going to make any money on the deal... lets see, GMC has a $500 dealer incentive on the savana, and I was going to order my van so 3% holdback was another $750+ I guess this dealer wants more than $3000 profit on each van they sell. Lets see if their tune changes closer to the end of the month. But I must say, at this point I am no longer interested in owning an Explorer Package.

My current van the 93 Starcraft I also bought new. The sticker in 93 was $38,000 we paid $25,000. I hope all this information helps anyone else that is looking to purchase a new Conversion van.
    P.S. StarCraft answers e-mails and phone calls.
    I too once owned a Starcraft and found the company to be very good to work with.

Jerry
  • usseldridgeusseldridge Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I have 4 young kids and one on the way. We are interested in a conversion van that seats 8 or 9 comfortably. Any suggestions as to models? Is there such a thing as a conversion van with 4 bucket seats and two bench seats? Thanks in advance for the info. John
    I've never seen the configuration you are looking for.
    Jerry
  • quinnbrittquinnbritt Member Posts: 3
    Jordan Ford in San Antonio Texas recently had a Ford extended conversion van with 6 captains chairs and a rear bench. Don't remember the conversion company, and had never seen one like it before. You might contact them for more information about a coversion van that seats more than 7.
    I currently have a 1990 Ford E150 Explorer conversion van. I have been extremely pleased with it. It was recently totaled in an accident and I am looking to replace it. My experience with Explorer has been very good so far. I contacted the company, and got the name of the local rep. He called me immediately, and has been very responsive. I have identified the options I want, and will have to order one from the factory, but the rep has been very easy to work with. I have looked at all the conversions around San Antonio, and, am still a big Explorer fan.

I have four kids, and with the exception of one overhead light, everything on my 1990 still works. I have been very impressed with the quality of the conversion, and that's the main reason I am looking at replacing it with an Explorer.

The only difference is that I am looking at a new GMC Savana instead of a Ford this time around. Anybody have any input on the Savana? I'm looking at the 1500 with the 5.7L V8. Occasionally, I tow a utility trailer and a 3000 lb. pontoon boat.
  • davidd3470davidd3470 Member Posts: 1
    Due to a change in personal circumstances, I am not using my 97 Econoline E-150 with the Glaval Hightop conversion, and want to sell it. I won't be trading it in - just selling it, sad to say.

My questions are -

1) how do I find out what a reasonable price is - (20,000 miles, properly maintained, 5.4 V8, Electric Seats and Windows, running boards, and a stupid little TV that we never use.)

2) what is the best way to go about selling it?

(I should add that I tried taking it to a local CarMax here in Gaithersburg MD and got a price which I desperately hope is too low (14,800).
    The conversion wholesale can be estimated at 41-43% and the retail at 55-57% of original msrp. Glaval chooses not to release price info to the likes of NADA.
    You can check Edmunds for cargo van values.
    Absent the msrp, if the CarMax price is a wholesale price you could add 2,500 to 3,000 for retail price.
  • usseldridgeusseldridge Member Posts: 6
    Quinn - thanks for the info re Jordan Ford. I called but the conversion they had in stock had six captains' chairs but no rear bench. I emailed some of the coverter companies directly; it can be madeon an extended version van; but it may not be worth the extra price. Thanks for your assistance, John
  • dalegadalega Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a late model used con version van for a few weeks now and have run across a few companies that I don't have any information on. Anyone have information on quality, owner satisfaction, web site address, etc. on these converters? Eclipse, Sherrod, Regency, Jayco, American, and Gulf Stream. I can be contacted at dalega@hotmail.com. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quinn,

Thanks for the input on the Explorer. It is good to hear from a current owner that feels highly of the company and the quaility. I guess I have just had an unresponsive sales rep, I will see if they start calling me at the end of the month. I would like to trade pricing info with you further as we both seem to be attempting to order a new GMC. I am looking at the x package on the GMC with the 5.7. I have posted my first go around with the sales people.

I currently have a 93 Chevy with the 5.7 and It has been very reliable and durable. We use it for trips heading from VA to WVA and Arkansas, lots of mountains etc. I set the cruise control and let it roll, no problems pulling either. Only problem I have had is that it is rough on brakes, but that is normal on a full size van.
    NADA has no data available for Regency. A review of three other mfg's indicate whsle at 36 - 42% and retail at 50 - 58% of original msrp.
    NADA '97 Ford cargo van whsle 12,000. retail 14,400. Deduct 975. for hi miles.

Suggest you compare cargo value with Edmunds.

Jerry
  • jfallonjfallon Member Posts: 2
    Quality Coach, Elkhart, IN built the used 1994 conversion E150 I am interested in and I would like to know:
    1. Quality Coach reputation and
    2. Current value of their 1994 orig $11,000 MSRP Conversion.
    I have the Chateau van-only value from Edmunds, just need the Conversion value or an approximation.
    Thanks,
    jfallon,

Here are 3 possible models;
    Limited msrp 8,900. whsle 2,700. retail 3,420.
    Limited HiTop 11,900. msrp whsle 3,630. retail 4,600.
    Trendsetter HiTop 8,995. msrp whsle 2,720. retail 3,440.

I recommend using Cargo van values. Club Wagon or Chateau vans are fully finished oem vans. The converter does not use these type of units for conversion but rather an "RV" ready version.

Jerry
  • settersittersettersitter Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this board. I could use some help. My Dad purchased this van in Nov 98 so he & my Mom could take some trips in comfort. He got to make two trips. He passed away March 1 99. The problem is this is the only vehicle my Mom has & she can't drive it. I am trying to get a rough idea what to sell it for or trade in value. It is loaded - leather seats, tri fold bed, tv(lcd), vcp, 2 cd players, nintendo hookups, hot/cold drink holders. Really nice vehicle real clean less than 16,000 miles. We really love it but not real practicle since I am the only one that can drive it. Any Advise? MSRP was over $46,000.
  • jfallonjfallon Member Posts: 2
    Based on your help and information, Jerry, I was able to come together on price and now own the 94 E150 5.8L with Trendsetter Conversion and 67k miles. Paid $12,400 and am happy with a spotless, well-serviced, ready-to-go van. Thanks.
    Jeff
  • tariqtariq Member Posts: 2
    settersitter lets see iwas looking for similar van high top all the goodies in dec 1999 msrp 48k i refused to buy the van in jan 2000 dealer called me for a great deal on same van explorer factory discount of 14k and some other rebate about 2k to price 32 k this happen in just 6 wks you drove this van for 2yr which minus 10k on a fair basis price should be some where 20 to 23k as i have a friend who has 96 explorer limited edition 48k miles ready to sall at 13500 whith similar options. trade in will be worst as they will take away the discount and add that in your van as if you are getting higher price for yopur van. i whish your dad has waited for 2 or 3 months at the time of purchase. higher is better good luck.
    Jeff,
    Your welcome! I hope you have have an excellent experience with it.

Jerry
  • chappedatchrchappedatchr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 T&C Chrysler Van with 82M miles on it. The transmission went out at 51M miles. Not knowing that we could raise a stink and threaten to contact our dealers "Zone office" to get it repaired, we paid $1,600.00 to get it rebuilt. Problem is, we did not get it fixed at a Chrysler dealer due to several reasons - typical rude dealership behavior, the time it would take to fix it and the cost. Now, 2 1/2 years later after the repair, the transmission is going out again!! Been test driving other vans and find it difficult to give up the amenities of the T&C. Asked our original dealer (a sales rep that's been with them for 20 plus years) if Chrysler would consider selling us a 2000 T&C and throw in an extended warranty at no additional charge since we have been raked over the coals with repair costs on ours. So far I have not gotten a positive response. I don't feel like I could buy a T&C or any Chrysler product for that matter, without the backup of an extended warranty. Any ideas on how I might get them to go for it?
    The front bumper on my 94 had paint peeling off it. Our dealer was extremely rude and condescending and was definite about not covering it. Another dealer told me they would repaint it under warranty because Chrysler had a problem with the 94 and the front bumper paint. He agreed to this without even seeing it! We did go to this dealer about the transmission but didn't know to ask about any transmission problems. Should have known about Edmunds then!! This dealer wanted over $2M to fix it and 1 1/2 weeks to get it done. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Chrysler for an extended warranty on a new purchase at no additional cost given what we have gone through. I can't sell it myself since I know the transmission is going to go out - so I'm losing money on that too!! Any suggestions? If I don't get Chrysler to come through I'm afraid I may end up in a Windstar. It's okay just not as nice a ride as the T&C. Sorry for rambling. I needed to vent. Appreciate any feedback you can give.
    Chapped
    The Spartans just moved to the "Final Four". I think that's great! I also know that not everyone does.
    Seems you've had a one if not a two thumbs down experience. Your thoughts on the ("insurance policy") extended warranty gives rise to the question;
    Given your apparent lack of confidence in the reliability of the van in question, why is it even a candidate for purchase? Warranty or not, somebody will pay for it and guess who that most likely will be? Does it really make sense to spend extra dollars on an insurance policy and put up with the grief and aggravation of repair down time to achieve a debatable better ride?
    The get in line, take a number, and maybe we'll talk dealers, are not deserving of the money that you work very hard to earn. It is you who will make the loan payments or lease payments. It is you who should continue to do the homework you've begun. Bologna to extended warranties. Buy into reliability. Buy into peace of mind. If you must take a financial hit, make it once rather than 2, 3, or more times. Find the means to acquire that vehicle without the abuses you refer too.
    Don't give up and don't cave in. It's your money, your life, and your household. If a good used car will get the job done and that's what it takes, do it!
    Oh yes, I drive a Ford conversion van and I do like it. That's not to say that Ford is the only "good" vehicle on the road. I'm sure there are many voices to contrary.
    Good luck in your pursuit. I do not mean to offend and apologize if I did.

Go State!

Jerry
    The Spartans just moved to the "Final Four". I think that's great! I also know that not everyone does.
    Seems you've had a one if not a two thumbs down experience. Your thoughts on the ("insurance policy") extended warranty gives rise to the question;
    Given your apparent lack of confidence in the reliability of the van in question, why is it even a candidate for purchase? Warranty or not, somebody will pay for it and guess who that most likely will be? Does it really make sense to spend extra dollars on an insurance policy and put up with the grief and aggravation of repair down time to achieve a debatable better ride?
    The get in line, take a number, and maybe we'll talk dealers, are not deserving of the money that you work very hard to earn. It is you who will make the loan payments or lease payments. It is you who should continue to do the homework you've begun. Bologna to extended warranties. Buy into reliability. Buy into peace of mind. If you must take a financial hit, make it once rather than 2, 3, or more times. Find the means to acquire that vehicle without the abuses you refer too.
    Don't give up and don't cave in. It's your money, your life, and your household. If a good used car will get the job done and that's what it takes, do it!
    Oh yes, I drive a Ford conversion van and I do like it. That's not to say that Ford is the only "good" vehicle on the road. I'm sure there are many voices to contrary.
    Good luck in your pursuit. I do not mean to offend and apologize if I did.

Go State!

Jerry
    Sorry for just now getting back to you. I'd be glad to swap info on the van I want to order. I'm looking at the basic package in a GMC with 5.7 ltr engine.

You can e-mail me at quinnbritt@aol.com
  • bgawrysbgawrys Member Posts: 2
    85 gmc hitop camper van. 70,000 mi. verry good cond. can anyone tell me what it,s worth ? rg@ gci.net
  • bgawrysbgawrys Member Posts: 2
    thinking of purchacing a 85 gmc camper van. v8 350 auto. 70,000 mi. hi top, stove, fridge. gas or elect. sleeps 4. body is in great cond. interior verry clean. 1 owner. can anyone give me an idea of what this vehicle is worth? my e mail address is rg@gci.net thanks
    I'm afraid I can't help you on this one.

Jerry
  • heaterproheaterpro Member Posts: 3
    what the heck happened to question #252

Now i feel chapped
  • howeehowee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Ford E150 hi top conversion van. It has 4 captains chairs, fold down bed, color TV, VCP, Sega Genesis Game, rear air, towing package,10 CD changer, all power, 5.0 litre V8, alarm system, alum. wheels, metalic red color with striping. Its a Mark III conversion with 74,000 miles. I want to sell it but I can't find any information on what it is worth on the market. Can anyone help?
    NADA shows conversion value of whsle 2,020 and retail 2,610. Add these values to cargo van values for the total.
    Also as a point of comparison, NADA shows Club Wagon values of whsle 7,350 and retail of 9,350. Add 400 for low miles.
    Again, compare these chassis values against Edmund's and other sources such as local classifieds.

Jerry
    I need to sell my 1994 GMC G2500 conversion van
    mileage 33,000 Excellent condition inside & out
    4 Flexsteel captain chairs power bed/sofa, fabric pull down shade, reading and mood lights oak interior Could you please help me price the Van.

Thank,
    Bob
    NADA values are;
    Diamond new msrp 14,000. whsle 4,260 retail 5,410.
    Eurosport msrp 10,000. whsle 2,210. retail 2,860.

Check Edmund's and other sources for cargo van values. NADA shows 1,850. add on for low miles. The G2500 Vandura whsle 7,975. retail 10,000. plus mileage adjustment.

Jerry
    Thank you Jerry, I really appreciate your help.

This is a great forum ;-)
    You're welcome!

Jerry
  • jnitramjnitram Member Posts: 1
    The true dealer cost of converter packages has been difficult for me to come by.
    Does anyone know a source for this or can you supply me with the information.I am looking at Explorer, TrailMaster, and Geneva conversions.
    Additionally, does anyone know for certain if year end carry over allowances still exist with Chevrolet and GMC.
    NADA has no recent info available on any of the 3 mfg's you reference.
    I don't know what rebates may available from GM.

Jerry
    Well after several months of shopping and trying to get a "good deal" on an Explorer I finally ordered one last week. I ordered a 2000 Chevy with the Explorer "X" Package with all the bells and whistles (even heated seats)... My ordering price was $37,750, List was $48,500. Hope this help anyone else trying to get an idea on what the explorer conversion costs. My thought is Explorer must be doing well because they don't give much on price. From what I can tell they are charging me about $16,500 for the conversion which was listed at $22,400.
  • lsctlsct Member Posts: 1
    What an informative sight this is.
    I need help pricing my 92 chevy Mark 111. It is loaded with all the usual items and is in very good shape with 72000 miles on it.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    NADA book on the '92 Mark III
    new msrp 8,295 whsl 1,600 retail 2,090

Check Edmund's for cargo van values.

Jerry
  • 2manychoices2manychoices Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at '99 Legend conversions. I know it is hard to price a conversion package but is there any formula like asking for 50% of the package price? Also shouldn't we get a break on last years models? Thanks for your help.

p.s. Can you recommend any other sites for full size van info?
    (Formula)I don't think so: (Break)Yes, a BIG break: and well.....
    When I bought my 97' Ford conversion, it too was a prior model year clearance van. I bought it on 12-31-97. I paid the the Ford window sticker (give or take $200.) for it and that included sales tax, title, and plate transfer fees which amounted to about $1,300. The Coachmen conversion had an MSRP of $9,200. and the Ford sticker was $23,200. or there abouts.
    I've checked the NADA book and the only mfg. listed for Legend (current production) is Infinity Motor Coach in NY. They have a Legend and a Legend SE in the 2000 model. It is possible to have a 2000 conversion on a 1999 chassis. I can give you book numbers if this is the converter you're refering too.
    Also, be sure to check Edmund's and elsewhere for mfg. rebates that are currently available. Mine had a $2,000. rebate from Ford.

Jerry
  • mcnasonmcnason Member Posts: 2
    we are ready to move on from our '95 ford aerostar. the local dealer had a e-150 with an "american vans" conversion for $24K. it's been sitting on the lot since 1/00. i've been trying to find out about american vans on the internet with no luck. anyone familiar with them?

Thanks

mike
  • vegemann7vegemann7 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to sell my Chevy conversion van. Does anyone know what the street value and the trade-in value would be?

1993 Chevy G20 half ton, 4.3 V6
    Gladiator conversion - low top
    Television
    AM/FM CD player, 6 speaker sound system
    Front and rear A/C
    Lighting package
    Teak wood trim and accy's.
    Six ceiling reading lights
    Vacuum cleaner
    Custom carpeting
    Radar detector
    Custom Alarm system
    Running boards (a little damage)
    Rear drivers quarter panel (a little damage)
    98,000 miles
    NOTE: Van is minus the 2 center captains chairs.

Well maintained, excellent mechanical condition despite minor running board and quarter panel damage.

Thanx...

Responses can be made to: Vegemann7@earthlink.net if you wish.
  • semperfi1semperfi1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a '97 Ford Conversion Loaded. Not a dealer, private individual looking to downsize.
    Work in Queens, live in Nassau. Email if interested Sempefi1@aol.com
    Designer series whsle 2530. retail 3150.
    Half Back 1840. 2310.
    Leader Series 1720. 2150.
    Quarter Back 1520. 1900.
    Value Series 1880. 2390.

Check Edmund's for cargo chassis values.

Jerry
  • vegemann7vegemann7 Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for the info...

Larry (Vegemann7)
    Your welcome!
  • tropicalttropicalt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Dodge Hi Top Conversion, LWB, MarkIII, 5.2L V-8, 27k miles, 4 captains chairs,
    elec.sofa, TV/VCR, Pioneer am/fm stereo CD,tilt, cruise, real wood enhancements, mood lights, blinds, f&r heat/air, game hookup, rear jacks, builtin air compressor,chrome wheels etc. I need to find a retail and trade in value for this vehicle. Exc.cond in & out.