Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask the Smart Shopper Hosts for directions!

Comments

• chris2max3chris2max3 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I have a question about how to go about claiming diminished value? Is it even worth it for an 02 f150 that is being fixed-2400+(haven't got the final figure yet) in damages. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should have a look at this article: Tips for Filing a Claim After a Serious Car Accident

Our TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds should also be helpful.

I also recommend joining in on the Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    I was just wondering if there were any discussions on getting good deals on cars that have been repossessed?
    This isn't quite what you're looking for but Purchasing Used Vehicles would be a good place to start. Perhaps a visit to Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion would be in order!

tidester, host
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Did edmunds change the townhall forum set-up? I don't like it at all, its horrible and its difficult to navigate....is there a way to change my log-in to bring up the old town hall forums?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I agree I cannot toggle back to Inside line or the main edmunds site now. I have to actually punch edmunds.com into the address bar. You need to have some more buttons.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I agree.

Just when you've got the bugs out of the last set of changes, you've done it again.

I'm old with bad eyesight. I run my monitor at 800x600 resolution. Your changes do not automatically re-size the screen for different resolutions - making your topic index and the detail messages scroll off the right side of my screen. (Your changes are obviously set for 1200x800 resolution, and as I said, does not do auto-resize.) To see message counts and read all of the messages, I have to constantly scroll my screen left and right.

You also did this in your previous change. And it took months to get it changed.

Why, why, why are you making changes, with no significant 'real' changes, in the format of the forum?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    for your questions and comments about the changes is in this discussion: Forums Software - Your Questions Answered. Take a run through what's already been posted for some details.
  • miatafunmiatafun Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested in buying a used car from another private party. I do not want to carry lots of cash. The seller does not accept (personal) check.
    What are other good options?
    thanks for help.
    You could use a certified or cashiers check or even a money order. I would definitely avoid the cash option. See what others have to say in Purchasing Used Vehicles.

tidester, host
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hello Host, I've been coming to Edmunds for quite a few years and this new system is very hard to navigate.

I can't switch back from one forum to another. When I want to go to "Smart Shopper" to "Suv's", I have to exit the system entirely then start over. The only way I can get to the "Inside Line" where the forum are, I have to scroll down the first page of Edmunds to the really small words at the bottom and click on "Forum's".

I would think a lot of new comers here are really missing out on connecting to the right threads. If I try to hit "forums" on the Car Space page and type in "SUV" for that Forum, it says it doesn't exist.

I hope they fix this navigational problem for the new folks coming here.... it would be easier for me too although I have managed to get around the quirks.

Thanks, Mark156 :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Hi, Mark!

I'm not sure why you're having to "exit the system entirely and start over." What I do is to "track" the discussions I am interested in so I can go directly to where I want to be. You can "track" a whole group or a single discussion by clicking the "track" link at the bottom of the page. Afterward, using the "My Tracked Items" link on the left side of a page will take you directly to where you want to be.

You may also want to look at Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... where you can read comments others have made about site issues and post your questions.

Hope that helps!

tidester, host
  • talbotautostalbotautos Member Posts: 4
    ">link titleNow, I am sure this has been answered a hundred times, but I couldn't find what I was looking for through search, so I thought I would ask here. I want to sell the 2005 Corvette Convert I am leasing. I have read some websites that tell me this is no problem, and depending on my payoff, could be a good deal for me, but wanted to get some expert feedback. The lease is through GMAC if that helps any.

I read this article link title

but I am not sure if it is accurate. Thanks.
  • appleg8sappleg8s Member Posts: 2
    I've owned Prizms and Sentras before and have never had problems with
    either. That was years ago. Now I have a decision to make. I just bought a
    1990 Prizm base model, auto, only 112,000 miles for $600. It already had a
    new radiator, and a transmission with a cooler installed about 3 years ago.
    I put in another $600 for a starter, timing belt, some gaskets and seals,
    new serp belts, and a few other things. This car passes emission like a new
    car with almost 0 reading and had only one owner and generally taken care
    of. It's the 5 door hatchback and has a cracked dash and drooping ceiling
    fabric but the body and paint are nice and shiny. I was going to keep this
    for myself. Then I was enlisted to find another good deal for my brother in
    law and a week later found the following:

1994 Sentra XE, 2 door, manual trans with 135,000 miles for just $800. Again
    only one owner and generally taken care of. Had to replace the original
    clutch and replace the crankshaft seal (I think) and dished out about $600
    for that. It passes inspections as well with flying colors. It came with a
    new alternator but nothing else has been replaced since brand new. The
    interior on this is almost perfect and the outside has a bit of a dent but
    other than that the body and paint are in excellent condition. It's a lot
    sportier than the Prizm, it's got a spoiler and some nice aftermarket
    wheels.

Alright then, so if you guys owned both of these cars which are pretty equal
    in their condition mechanically and somewhat cosmetically, which would you
    keep? There are no recalls on either of them but I'm not aware of any
    notorious problems with either, except for Nissan's alternators. I'm also
    taking into consideration that this Prizm was perhaps one of the best
    designed bulletproof motors Toyota ever made. What I wish I could do is
    switch out the motors and then hands down I'd be picking the Sentra. But I'm
    not going to do that. So, I welcome your opinions and thanks in advance. If
    you need more info to make the decision, let me know.
    Help Me Choose! should be your first stop!

tidester, host
  • pelpellypelpelly Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I am looking to get a car dealers license so I can do online sales only. However, in my state you still are required to have a car lot. I do not want to carry all the overhead and hassle of owning a car lot I only want to purchase and sell cars over the internet.

My Question: I know of or heard of companies out there that, with a monthly fee or per-purchase fee, will allow you to hold a dealers license under their dealership. You simply pay them monthly for your license or whenever you purchase a car from auction. I was wondering if anyone has heard of such companies and if so could give me more information on these companies or could point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

-Mark
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    Hi, does anyone have the link to the website that suggests new cars based on your preferences?. It was a really good questionaire/quiz type thing and you checked off everything you were looking for and then it showed the best matches to your choices..

I thought it was on either here or Yahoo but I can't find it anywhere. :confuse:
    myproductadvisor.com deals with all kinds of products and looks like the kind of thing you're asking about. Google is a great place to start to find others.

tidester, host
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    That's the link I was looking for! Thanks. :)

I actually did look on Google before posting but kept coming up with "How to choose a car" and it just wasn't what I wanted.
    Just be sure to come back here and tell us all about your shopping, purchasing and ownership experiences!

tidester, host
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    See Message 31262 in Real-World Trade-in Values. :D
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Getting it, but always better to notify us by e-mail. See, if we're reading this discussion, we're reading RWTIV as well. If don't see the offending message, we don't see this one either... see? :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ddecker5ddecker5 Member Posts: 20
    We are expecting our 3rd child in May. We currently have an 02 Tribute for our 2 car seats.
    I'm looking to repalce this vechicle with something that will fit 3 car seats(I don't think there's enough room in the Tribute for 3 seats).
    Can anyone provide me with some vehicles that will sit 3 car seats(either minivan or SUV).

Thanks in advance

Dennis
    Give What's the best vehicle for my needs? a try!

tidester, host
  • ddecker5ddecker5 Member Posts: 20
    Ok.
  • chris333chris333 Member Posts: 8
    Which would have the most back seat room for 20-25k area? Beetle? Mustang? I know the Sebring is bigger, but a bit out of my range.... 2 kids age 10 need to fit for short drives.Thanks.
    Hi chris333,
    Check out our Coupes & Convertibles forums section. That's where other members are talking about these vehicles. If you don't see a discussion that fits, you can add one using the "add discussion" link on that page.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• chris333chris333 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks! Will do.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I seem to be slightly behind the 8 ball...I see my various car topics being transformed into read-only, but when I click the link at the end, I do not seem to find what I think is the right replacement...2007 Santa Fe only has the 2007 3.3L FWD with one post, but I do not seem to find a general topic on the 07 Fe...I understand you made changes, but I seem to be missing on what you are improving...

It must be right in front of me, but apparently the blind part of me does not see it...:):):)

Might some directions be in order???

Bob
    Hi, Bob.

You probably missed this post I wrote as a heads up about two weeks ago: tidester, "2007 Hyundai Santa Fe" #1507, 15 Oct 2006 11:28 pm

and this one where we made it "official:" tidester, "2007 Hyundai Santa Fe" #1527, 24 Oct 2006 10:45 pm

Sylvia has been discussing the reasons in the Software Questions Forum and this one spells it out: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3221, 26 Oct 2006 4:15 am

Not every Make/Model board has undergone the changes yet but we have most of them done now. I hope that helps and that you'll enjoy the new format.

tidester, host
  • candacekthe1candacekthe1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I am a bit confused. I'm trying to get a reliable car for in the 19K-23K range that will be safe and also handle ice and snow well. (I live on Long Island and travel to West Virginia). I have looked at the Jeep Compass, the Subaru Forester, Honda Element, and Hyundai Tuscon. The Mitsubishi Outlander is also an option.

All of the cars are in the same price range, but I keep getting conflicting information from dealers, forums, and friends/family.

1) Is it true that AWD really isn't good for winter and that it's just something to trick consumers into paying more and thinking they can "go anywhere in the snow/ice"?

2) Is it a fact that it's a really bad idea to buy a Mitsubishi because of their financial problems?

3) The Jeep is SUPPOSEDLY a true 4X4 as opposed to an AWD. Is this going to help me on the highway or just in off-road situations (of which I forecast few)?

4) Would I be silly to lease a Hyundai despite the fact that it has all the safety features and includes BOTH AWD and 4WD?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!! :confuse:
    These discussions might help you:
    Which car company has the best AWD system?
    4WD and AWD systems explained
    and best of all, where you'll get PLENTY of advice:
    Please help me decide between...

You can re-post in any one of those discussions, or ask a different question entirely. Good luck!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• magalmagal Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in the market to buy a pre-owned (used) car about 2 or 3 yrs old in the luxury category. We are going on vacation from the 20th until about the first week of next year. I was wondering whether it is best to buy the car before end of the year vs after the new year.

If it is best to buy before the new year, we only have one week before we leave for vacation so your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
    Mag
    Vehicle Sales Tax Questions should be helpful. It may also be a good question for Buying Tips: How Do I Get the Best Deal?.

tidester, host
  • digicratdigicrat Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

These forums (a friend recently told me about this site) look like a great source of information, but I have no idea where to start. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

I just graduated college last month, and am about to move to Maryland in the next few weeks to start working full-time. They are providing me with a rental car for the first week, however I need to buy a car when I get there.

At this point, I still know very little about cars or car buying and have very little road experience (I just got my license a few months ago). I will be earning a nice salary when I start working in a few weeks, however I do not know what my monthly budget is going to be. I am also applying for graduate schools for the Fall, so I'm further unsure what will be happening (financially) at that point, depending on where I am accepted.

I need to buy a car now, and basically be able to either fully pay for the car by the end of August (or at least have the remaining money to cover payments in savings by then), or be able to sell the car at that point without having any remaining debt. I have up to about $3000 saved that, if I stretch my budget, can be used towards buying a car now. (My parents aren't able to help me out in purchasing the car, except as far as co-signing a loan if necessary).

The problem is, I'm moving to a new area, do not know much about purchasing cars, nor do I know anybody in the area that can help me in checking out a used car. I need something that will be safe, reliable, and have been told it should have ABS brakes. I've test driven a 2007 Hyundai Accent and liked the handling, but don't think I can afford it (again, I don't want to lock myself into long-term financial commitments that would prevent me from leaving to go to grad school later). A relatively recent used car is probably my best option, but I still don't know enough at this point to have strong feelings about what type, model, or year to get, just that it be reliable.

I also have a few concerns about the process of buying a car. Namely, would there be any issues if I start purchasing the car (ie with registration & insurance) in Maryland before I have a permanent address there? My drivers license and my (parent's) home is in NY.

Thanks,
    - David
    Congratulations, David!

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Selecting and Buying My First Car

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

I would advise you to think seriously about what your needs are or will be. That will help enormously in narrowing down your choices. Also, being fresh out of school, you will need to carefully budget your spending even if you do have a great salary. And don't forget that taxes will reduce the size or your paycheck! :)

Once you've narrowed down your choices and options a bit we can further direct you to suitable discussions and resources.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • maradagmaradag Member Posts: 85
    I'm looking for a place to get general lease information (not car specific).

There's so much lease information out there to help people get educated but its also enough to confuse the c**p outta people and break them down enough to just sign and drive.

Which direction do I go for a bit of bottomline guidance???

Thanks,
    Mara
    This topic may be right up your alley:
    General Questions about Leasing Vehicles

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I’ve been looking to get into a new car since my ’03 LR Freelander is coming due in April. I pay 295 pm so I’m a bit shocked by some of the quotes I’ve been getting.

I’ve been reading a lot of leasing tips but there’s so much involved that I’m becoming a bit overwhelmed and I’m not sure how to apply the information that I’m reading. :confuse:

I’ve been pricing several different cars to see what I can get that fits my criteria. My requisites are: $300-$320 pm, $2500-$3000 TOTAL out of pocket and 15k miles per year. I also need a 3rd row seat and AWD. I’ve considered Saturn’s Outlook, GMC’s Acadia, Buick’s (now discontinued) Rendevouz, Toyota’s 4Runner and Highlander, and Mercury Mountaineer.

I’ll use my experience at the Chrysler dealer as an example. The Touring version had an MSRP of $31,110, dealer said he’d give it to me at his price of $29,110 (now that’s 31,110 - $1500 Chrysler cash for $29,600) and he’s knocking another $500 off. (I didn’t ask for the money factor or residual because I felt the lease payment of $339 he quoted was still too high) Here starts the confusion… Edmunds says invoice is $28,588, so did he give me a good price or was there more room to negotiate down??? If there’s more room, how much more? Do I offer $25k? That’s sounds like a good number to me but probably won’t get me a deal. Help!!

Also, is there a better time in the year to be leasing? Is September better than February?

One more question: Is it better to go thru an independent leasing company rather than to attempt a lease thru the dealers’ finance companies?

Thanks in advance!!
    Mara :sick:
    Please see my message above and post in the linked discussion... your message won't be seen by knowledgeable members here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Yeah, I did, but only after I posted here first. Thanks for your help!
  • varunsinhavarunsinha Member Posts: 8
    I am looking to buy a used car. This will be my first car, I just graduated from college and am starting work. I am really clueless about cars (having spent most of my youth either in front of or tinkering with a computer) and am kind of apprehensive about making such a large purchase and being so ill-informed.

I've been reading guides, but I still had a few questions -

1) What things should I look at to make sure the car is still in good shape and won't need too much maintenance? Are they certain tell-tale signs that can provide a good indication of the reliability? I think this is my biggest worry - being saddled with the proverbial lemon.
    2) What is a good used car to get, in terms of reliability? I'm not looking for anything fancy or powerful - just an A to B car that won't give me too much trouble and won't guzzle gas.
    3) My budget is 8-10k (cash). Is that good? Bad? Ugly?
    4) I'm really confused about whether to go through a dealer or an individual or a manufacturer certified program?

I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid or redundant, but I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

Varun
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Hi, varunsinha..Welcome to the forums!

Either of these discussions should do it for you..

Selecting and Buying My First Car

Used Vehicles: Best Values

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• varunsinhavarunsinha Member Posts: 8
    Thanks kyfdx! Appreciate the help.
  • dcrotty527dcrotty527 Member Posts: 23
    I'm considering several off lease vehicles from Infiniti.
    When I've done a Carfax title search it states that the vehicle is a private lease. It names the location where the lease company or leasee registered the vehicle.

I'd like to find the NAME of the person not the lease company. I believe it would be invaluable to me of I could get their feedback on the vehicle. (if I can find them)

Do DMV's allow viewing of personal information, such as name and address of a vehicle owner. OR, is that nonpublic knowledge? Are tracing services any better?

If I'm paying over $30,000 for an off lease, I'd like to have more than a carfax. I have Autocritic doing a 160 point inspection. The dealer has had only 1 complaint in 36 months and has been in business since 1989. I feel pretty good but would feel a lot better talking to the person whose driven the car for 3 yrs.

Any thoughts, directions?
    You may be able to get some help in General Questions about Leasing Vehicles.

It wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer to contact the party that leased the vehicle and see whether that person would be willing to talk with you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • masterncmasternc Member Posts: 14
    I can't find any topic related to this and was wondering if someone could help me:

I live in PA and am looking at a certified used car in NJ. I would need financing for the car and would therefore have a lien on the car. I would be getting a temp tag from NJ that is valid for 20 days. My problem is because there is a lien I technically don't have possession of the car. When I apply for PA registration, it says I can't even get plates unless I have the title on me or the bank sends the title to PennDOT (if the bank sends it to PennDOT, the plates are issued from PennDOT, which may take weeks). Given all the red tape, I am afraid I might have a car with expired plates sitting for a while since this surely would take longer than 20 days.

Anyone have experience with this type of purchase? I am curious to hear how you did it.
    I think the vast majority of cars that get registered are financed so I don't think PA would deny you registration on that basis. In any case, head on over to Buying used cars from out of state to discuss your situation.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mproberts0mproberts0 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, new to this forum, and I have to say it ROCKS! Anyway, I'm looking at buying an 03' infinity G35 40K miles, in perfect condition. He his asking $13500. There's the catch, it has a rebuilt title. I've driven the car and checked it over, there are no signs of damage, or anything. It drives straight, tires are worn normally. etc...
    Edmunds says the PP value is $18754 with a clean title.
    So how much to offer? Should I just run the other way?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Marc
This discussion has been closed.