Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    50K? That's a bit steep. You can get a lot of RV for 50k.

Steve, Host
    Anyone trade in or buy a conversion lately? Say a '95-ish model?

Steve, Host
  • bpursellbpursell Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response on conversion package cost. I have a 1995 dodge SV 150 Pasenger van with a conversion package that I'm trying to sell. I just don't know how much more I can expect to get for the conversion.
  • wandawanda Member Posts: 1
    What are you asking for it?
  • johngnj111johngnj111 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me what my van is worth?
    This is for my 1998 Ford E150 w/ a Mark III SE Conversion package.
    5.4L V-8, 54,000 miles; Engine runs great.
    Exterior: Hi-Top in Toreador Red color in excellent condition w/ matching running boards.
    Interior: TV, VCR, CD with MP3 player, Wood trim, mood lighting, Power Steering, Driver and Passenger Side Air Bags, Power Windows Locks and Brakes, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning. All excellent condition.

I'm trying to sell it on my own.
  • eagle1994eagle1994 Member Posts: 1
    John,

Go to http://www.nadaguides.com this is the only web site that provides conversion van pricing.

Once on the site, go to used car pricing, they will be a link for conversion vans. Once you take the link for conversions, you can got to the link for "M" for the manufacturer, and obtain pricing for the Mark III SE Conversion Package.

Occasionally you will need to obtain separate pricing for the chassis, the actual Ford van used as the platform for the conversion. This can be obtained by returning to the used car pricing area, choosing vans and following the links.

Hope this helps,
    John
  • splashchris1splashchris1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I really could use some advice. I'm looking at purchasing a '95 Mark III conversion van. It's loaded with options:

5.7L V8
    power windows
    power door locks
    power side view mirrors
    TV
    Radio/TV headphone jacks
    cloth interior (no cuts, burns anywhere)
    carpet looks brand new
    4 captain's chairs
    power rear seat (converts to bed)
    limo-style light kit above rear captain chairs
    built in vacuum (in rear door)
    built in first aid kit
    built in rechargable flashlight
    front/rear air conditioning
    running boards
    pleated shades on all windows (all perfect cond.)
    screens on side windows
    1 ton tow package
    air leveling rear end for towing (via two air inlets)

I'm sure there's more, but can't remember it all. The vehicle has 114,000 miles, looks mint inside and out. New brakes, new exhaust. Engine runs strong, no hesitation. Stops hard and straight.

Seller is asking $4,800. I think it's a good deal, but wanted an opinion from someone with experience on these vehicles.

Thanks in advance!!!! Really appreciated.

splashchris
  • cuda4cuda4 Member Posts: 3
    To anyone with an answer,
     I may have overlooked the reply, but I have the same question as many of the other posts, yet fail to have seen an answer. Is a general percent markup within the industry known or does someone have a resource to identify specific package invoices and option pricing. I am researching a 2005 GMC Savana with a Sherrod EVO SE package. I have no intent to blow 60k on a cargo van with some paint splash on it and a dvd in it! Assistance from anyone please. Thank you. Joe
  • cuda4cuda4 Member Posts: 3
    One additional question,
     I have spoken with Sherrod directly and they tell me the cost from them directly is basically the van I want at $500 over dealer cost plus the price of the package and options. As an informed consumer, I know cars can be bought for less than "Invoice" with dealer rebates, hold backs and the like. Does anyone know if since the upfitter is independent of the actual dealer, can the converters basic van invoice price be negoiacted?
    Everything is negotiable; in this case Sherrod should be getting fleet rates for the vans (or get them for nothing with the bailment arrangement they talk about). Are the factory direct prices the same as the local dealer? Assuming there is a local dealer....

I have no idea of the markup on conversion vans, but the depreciation seems even worse than normal cars. Limited pool of used buyers I guess. Nice looking conversions though.

Try asking over in Any Questions for a Car Dealer?.

Steve, Host
  • paythemanpaytheman Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a LCM Centaurus Van for six years. THe converter is out of business. The van currently has 120M miles and has been an excellent vehicle. The 5.4 triton motor was used for the first time in 97 and its been pretty bullet proof for me.
  • tim15tim15 Member Posts: 10
    I am considering purchasing a brand new 2004 Chevrolet Express with a low top Chariot conversion. Van has leather and dvd and dual doors. The van has been on the lot for over a year. The sticker is 42K, and I have them down to 29,500.00. Is this a good deal? Will it still loose half its value in two years? I've never owned a comversion van, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
    Will it still loose half its value in two years?

It might - heck, lots of normal cars lose 40% of their value in a couple of years. I talked to two couples the other day at an interstate rest area from BC who were convoying in two fancy conversion vans. They seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

Steve, Host
  • jim38jim38 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a site online that sells Conversion Vans at a good price? I found some but the prices seem a little steep and some don't even post a price they say call for a Price
    Not sure why they even have a web page because they would be the last ones that I would contact.
    I found that Quality Coaches had some nice looking Vans but have no prices , so I sent them a note asking why they don't post the price. Still no answer....
    Later
    Dealers want to get you in the door so they can sell you a van TODAY. Try a blast fax (or blast email):

Blast Fax Car Buying

Steve, Host
  • ckorteckorte Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2004 GMC Savana Starcraft conversion van on line from e-bay. $19K with less that 5K miles. Van is like new. It took a few days of searching and looking at several vans but I think it was worth the time. I actually went to the dealers web site and called them and bought it off the auction. While searching on line I found a site, Paul and Sherrys Custom Vans. They handle several makes of conversion vans. Do a Yahoo search for Starcraft Conversion Vans and they will pop up more than once.
  • ckorteckorte Member Posts: 2
  • wilsonvwilsonv Member Posts: 1
    We're trying to sell our 2000 Econoline conversion van. I figured advertising in local paper, maybe even carsoup.com. Anyone have any other ideas where people look who may be interested in a conversion van? It's not exactly an impulse buy! Also - I think it has about 70000 miles (my husband drives it so I don't ever look) with tv/dvd, 2nd stereo.cd in rear all those goodies. I'm going to look at NADA, but does anyone have any idea what people are really willing to pay? Thanks.
    Try craigslist.org - maybe there's one near your area.

Steve, Host
  • mantangomantango Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1997 gmc savanna conversion and we love it only paid 8700 for it w/ 62,000 miles on it
  • ladytearoomladytearoom Member Posts: 2
    You may try looking on e-bay , we are going to list our conversion van on e-bay soon as we don't drive it anymore.
  • ladytearoomladytearoom Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how much we may be looking to ask for our conversion van? It does have a re-built title as we bought it that way. It still had the plastic on the floors when we bought it. It is a 98 astro conversion van has 56,000 actaul miles on it, it had 11,000 when we bought it. We had graphics put down the sides to spruce it up to match the colors of the van. It is VERY nice and has ivory plush seats with a seat that lets down to a bed in the back,very nice window shades & etc... any help would be appreciated!
  • flaekingurflaekingur Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at buying a 1997 Chev Starcraft van. Can anyone tell me what year Chev changed their van styling to the present form. Was it 96 ar 97?
  • gr8ape1gr8ape1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy a 1990 chevy gladiator van sherrod/anniversary edition G20 sportvan/van. I unfortunately want to finance a small part of it, but the lady at the bank can't get the van to be worth more than 2 grand. It has 53,000 miles on it, it s exterior has never been even touched up. The interior is immaculate, the wood trim shows no wear. It was a Fl to NY and back vehicle for an old couple. The gentleman passed away and his wife is selling the van through her nephew's collision shop. The carfax states one owner and no accidents. AIr/heat front and rear, 13" TV cassette, premium sterio, vcp, 4 captains chairs, power everything, bed in the back, loaded with all it could be painted ladder and rack. I've tried nada (no mileage) and Kelly (few options) and I can't get a price that seems right. its selling for $5000. Which it looks like its worth it. I have a son w/special needs and I'll need a van to put a lift in and I like this one. Where could I go to get a real assessment of its value? So we're all happy. I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thank you!!!
  • jjspringsjjsprings Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge conversion Van (High Top). It is an "Ideal" Conversion but I cannot find "Ideal" when looking through the NADA guide's list of conversions. Is anyone familiar with "Ideal" conversions? On the inside of my door it says, Rocky Mountain, Inc. but I can't find them either. Your help would be appreciated.
  • billy6billy6 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, here I am after 10 companies and streams of faxes. I am looking at a 2005 Chevy Express Extended 9 passenger V8 - 6.0 RWD, Low top Explorer conversion. This thing has everything, or at least thus far in dealing with the sales rep over the phone. Two 15" LCD drop down, two DVD players, leather, rear radio, 8 wireless headsets, cooler/cup warmer, on and on, the only thing I am not getting is the upgraded wheels, GPS and other high end electronic gizmos. I am getting the beeping sensor for the rear. Before tax and lic price is 39,841. Meeting with the rep Tuesday out here in San Diego. Last chance for me to even haggle any more if possible, so if anyone can let me know if this is a good price I would be extremely appreciative, first time van purchaser.
  • beckymbeckym Member Posts: 1
    MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED A BRAND NEW 2001 CONVERSION VAN 3 1/2 YEARS AGO, AND ITS BEEN NOTHING BUT A NIGHTMARE. BEFORE IT HAD 20,000 MILES WE CHANGED THE WHEEL BEARINGS TWICE, AND NOW THAT IT HAS 33,000 MILES WE HAVE HAD IT TOWED 3 TIMES TO THE DEALER, AND THEY CANT FIND THE PROBLEM. THEY ALL CLAIM THEY FIX IT, BUT IT KEEPS GETTING TOWED BACK FOR THE SAME THING. I HAVE TWO SMALL CHILDREN IN THIS VAN, AND IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE. CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS, AND THEY ALL ACT LIKE YOUR CRAZY. THE LAST TIME (YESTERDAY) WE WENT TO PICK UP FROM THE DEALER, AND WE WERE ABOUT 20 MILES AWAY, WHEN IT ALL HAPPEND AGAIN. CALLED THEM UP AND SAID YOU NEED TO TOW THIS VAN BACK, BUT THEY WANTED US TO PAY ADDITIONAL $60 DOLLARS. WHAT, I SAID. YOU DID NOT FIX IT RIGHT, AND YOU WANT ME TO TOW BACK. AFTER THE ROUND AND ROUND THEY FINALLY AGREED TO TOW BACK. WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. I USED TO OWN A TOYOTA, AND NEVER, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT, AND GUESS WHAT THATS WHAT IM GOING TO BUY AGAIN. MAYBE I HAVE A LEMON, BUT WHEN YOUR PAYING GOOD MONEY FOR THESE CONVERSION VANS, YOU EXPECT MORE!! DO NOT PAY STICKER PRICE, BECAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT. LUCKILY MY HUSBAND GOT THE PRICE FROM $45,000 TO BELOW $30,000. ON THIS VEHICLE, BUT THATS STILL A LOT OF MONEY. I WILL NEVER BUY DODGE AGAIN.

THANKS BECKY
  • davnydavny Member Posts: 1
    I needed to get the engine rebuilt in my 1990 VW Vanagon. I chose JustVeeDubs, a company in Campe Verde, Arizona. Spoke with Jose there and he said it would take 2 weeks to rebuild the engine, and then ship it back to us with additional parts (clutch, radiator, etc.). He also promised a 60K mile or 5 year warranty. I shipped the engine on June 9 and still haven't received it as of Sept. 25. The company is impossible to work with. They seldom if ever respond to voice mails or emails. If you get an email response, it contains some new lame excuse for the delay and a new promised shipment date which, of course, never materializes. Our engine is still in Arizona and we have little hope that it will ever come back, let alone come back in good working order. I highly recommend that you stay clear of this establishment and avoid the stress and the hassle that JustVeeDubs can generate.
    :mad:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Hopefully you did not pay in advance! If you put it on a CC be sure and report it to the CC company as you only have 90 days to dispute charges. I am a firm believer in payment on delivery and using CC to have a big stick if they default.
  • jah3jah3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me out here. We have a 2000 GMC Savana/Sherrod EVO 2 High-top Conversion van with @ 48,000 miles. It is 8 cyl. and has the following options: Anti lock brakes, Cruise control, Power locks, windows and mirrors, Driver & Passenger airbags, Power Seats, Front & rear air conditioning, Leather seats, Fully reclining captain chairs, Rear seat converts to 3 section bed, AM/FM stereo with CD and Cassette player, Rear audio with CD player, TV, VCP. Also has a transferable VEHICLE MECHANICAL REPAIR AGREEMENT/Limited Power Train 6 years or 80,000 miles (warranty was taken out on 01/10/2001). The van has a clear title and we are looking to sell. It's been a great vehicle, but we need to down size. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME DETERMINE A VALUE? Conversion vans seem to be so hard to price! I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!
  • thehingethehinge Member Posts: 11
    It has 80k miles, it is a conversion van, extended size, 1500, holds 7 or 8 people, but it is a flat top, Sherrod EVO I. It has no TV, cloth interior, towing package, running boards. I'm not really sure why it's a conversion van, since it doesn't have so many of the extras, but it is one. It's well taken care of and I know the owners. I do not want to insult them, but the best I can verify is about $8000. KBB lists low, NADA is high, the loan folks don't care, and ebay has high bidders about 6600. AutoTrader.com has lots of folks asking about $10,000, but I don't know if they are actually getting it. Please. Any help is appreciated. :confuse:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, jah3,

While we don't allow buying and selling in our Forums, you're likely to get some feedback about the value of your van in one of the discussions in our Smart Shopper Forum. You might also try the vehicle pricing options at Edmunds.com -- just click the Used VEhicles tab to get started.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• tony37tony37 Member Posts: 1
    I know this must be a age old question on this site. But I have a 2003 Gmc Regency high top package. It stickered for $57,100 in 2003 but we paid $46,000 for it. Now I want to sell it with 44,000 miles on it and it is worth nothing.

Where do we sell our Fancy Conversion Vans????

Confused,
    Tony :confuse:
  • ugashikugashik Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I am curious if you found out a way to find what the van you were looking at is worth. I have a 1998 Ford Mark III Conversion van that has been hit and the insurance company wants to total and we feel the are under valuing it. If you can pass any info on to me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Beth
  • panther21panther21 Member Posts: 8
    I was recently at the Chicago auto show and saw Explorer conversion vans. The 9 passenger extended version seems to fit my needs but I don't know how to figure out the true dealer cost will all of the options. The salesman from Explorer only told me that the MSRP was 63K to 64K and they were doing a show special at 51K. Is there a way to confirm it on Edmunds?
  • joredsonjoredson Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to price a 94 chevy gladiator high top conversion van for a friend. It has 135,000 highway miles, loaded, with tilt, cruise, pwr windows, pwr brakes, pwr steering,leather seats, capt chairs, am/fm cassette stereo, TV, VCR, bed. Garage kept.
  • fiveinthreefiveinthree Member Posts: 1
    We also have been looking to purchase an extended conversion van. Did you ever receive a response regarding an appropriate price range? We are also interested in most of the options (26" flat screen, GPS, leather,) but 63K seems out of the question. Any input about ordering directly from Explorer, a dealer, or online?
  • kotikdkotikd Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I want to but a motorhome, so I chose this 1988 Ford E-350, its a conversion van with shower and toilet, stove, fridge, sleeps 5, and has 126,000km on it. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS A FAIR PRICE FOR IT? the owner says it drives well. :confuse:

Thank You to everyone who helps
  • salesaholicsalesaholic Member Posts: 1
    I want to sell my 1998 Chevy Conversion Van and am having lots of trouble finding how to price it since Anaheim is out of business. Any help on what to price it at would be greatly appreciated. It is a low top St Regis Conversion and in good condition. Thanks.
  • bizzybmombizzybmom Member Posts: 1
    My husband wants to sell this van, but we have no clue what it is worth. The estate charged us $6500 off of his trust amount... It has 90K miles on it. Where do I find a price? Kelley Blue Book doesn't work for conversion vans....
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It depends on the company that did the conversion. I would look at NADA RV values. It is also a free service. You can also check traderonline for used RV prices. Good luck
  • kmoltegkmolteg Member Posts: 2
    does anybody know where I could find some info; on internet or personal exp; on how much is should cost to repair the connecting rods. I got a quote of $4000 but I really don't have that much $...I have a friend who is a
    "hobby mechanic" but pretty much knows his stuff and says that it can be fixed for about $2000 if you do it yourself.
    I know the engine needs to be removed but he's not too sure if the whole front end needs to come off. I really don't want to spend $4000 (don't really have it) and I really love my "old Betsy". I don't know whether it's worth it to fix or sell "as is" Any help would be grealy appreciated!
  • cpauffcpauff Member Posts: 3
    GM/Chevrolet changed their chassis in 1996.
  • cpauffcpauff Member Posts: 3
    You can try NADA.com
  • bgnbgn Member Posts: 1
    Seems I was one of the latest victims of that place Just Vee Dubs - Jose Ortega. Now located in Albuquergue NM 4801 Ellison NE. If somebody had recently similar experience would appreciate an e-mail. Lost $3,5k and my core engine.
  • ramblinwreck1ramblinwreck1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

Trying to figure out what the trade in value is for a 1993 Explorer Conversion Van on GMC Vandura 2500 Frame. The only sight that seems to address converstion vans is the NADA site, and for some reason, it only goes back to 1997 for the explorer vans. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • tom777tom777 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings! I have owned a 1993 E-150 MarkIII Conversion Van since new ... and can attest to a highway mileage figure of 14mpg. What has impressed me about the vehicle however is the durability of the engine. Mine is the 200hp V8 variety ... and at 148,000 miles ... still runs superbly!

I did a few things early on to protect the engine ... treated it with Duralube, and was careful to use only one oil product ... a Synthetic ... MobilOne.

Interestingly, my latest NJ MVB inspection scored a wonderful 114 against an allowable hydrocarbon level of 1510 ... and burns NO oil! Ford made a great product!

The weight and height gives a great feeling of security and makes the miles go easily.

We just purchased a Lexus 400h however, and will probably be selling the MarkIII Conversion, as we also own a Jag and a 40 ft Motor Coach ... and the van is seldom used.

What do you feel would be a reasonable selling price for this vehicle?

Cordially, Tom
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Between $4,000.00 to $6,000.00.
  • patclarkpatclark Member Posts: 5
    Why don't you just call your local Explorer Rep and ask him the invoice? You can find them on the net at www. explorervan . com or call 574 267 7666
  • mickthebritmickthebrit Member Posts: 1
    Hi does any body no of after market products to get more miles per gallon out of my 1996 ford e150 conver,van.I have to use this to carry dissabled folks.cant afford
    new vech. I do change oil and air filter reg,and check tyres daily. any help would be great.