Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Seb4, try posting in "Price costing conversion vans".

Guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Have you looked in the Edmund's Marketplace? That is where members can place ads.

Good luck!

KarenS
    edmunds.com Town Hall Host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I have a '97 Eurovan Camper, with 58k miles. I purchased the vehicle new in Northern CA (Prestige Imports, Santa Rosa, CA) for $32K. Drove it 5K mi to Southern, VA in '98 via Canada and a dozen National parks. It has performed well as a commuter getting 18-20 mpg, comparable to a pickup truck, with more versatility. I've hauled shrubs, furniture and six people with ease, in addition to great camping. The benefits of the vehicle outweigh it's shortcomings significantly albeit I've had some frustrations as noted. Typically the dealer's have a lasse faire attitude with any aspect of the vehicle that is Winnebago in origin.

Vehicle discrepencies have been:

1)The wrong Surburban thermostat was installed in the cabin. The heater would cycle through several times and not get hot. This was a recall by Winnebago, and repaired by the dealer.

2)At altitudes above 3000ft (approx) the refrigerator (3-way propane, battery, elec)while in the propane mode would cycle on/off and not light. The refrigerator manufacturer, Norcold, sent a high altitude kit...free to the RV dealer I was working with and it now works as advertised. The VW dealer (Prestige) was clueless in this regard.

3)My experience with the OEM Goodyear Tires was terrible. The tread looked rippled and uneven from a side view. I replaced the entire set at 20K mi (with some warranty) and again at 45K. The 2nd time with Michlen's and they appear to be far superior at 57K mi.

4)When new, I asked the dealer and VW customer service for six months about a trailer hitch with no results. I was told that there was no hitch available or approved. (In 93-95 a hitch assy was sold by VW). Finally I found the source, Dalan Hitch in MA that makes a hitch ($150) and $50 for installation. The only purpose for the hitch was for a swing-away bicycle rack (SportsRack) which was a superior alternative to a roof rack system (to high for ease of use) without the holes in the roof.

5) Recently, the check engine light came on for no apparent reason then went off. A dealer in Mobile, AL hooked up a test monitor and said that the engine just burped and tripped the light, "it usually happens if the vehicle sits for a long time" (I had just driven 500 mi, go figure). It happened twice on the same trip with 50k mi. Not before or since.

6)Most recently, when locking the vehicle from the driver's side, the locks cycle to the unlocked position. This happens randomly although noticed more so during damp or rainy conditions. Still to be resolved.

Other than the above items, the vehicle has met my expectations as a uniquely capable vehicle and well suited to outdoor activities.

I read a San Jose Mercury News review that panned the vehicle, comparing it to the multitude of mini-vans available on the market especially in handling. It's definitely not a mini-van and it lacks the umph of it's full size (V-8) competition. I believe that it handles better than any other full size van and I've driven several. In '97, US vans in a similar camper configuration sold for at least $10K more. I'm convinced that this vehicle is the best value for form, fit and function. Otherwise VW does a pitiful job at marketing the vehicle, for example the web site was nearly 2 years behind on the specs when I bought mine.

I'm curious about the inverter that someone had written about and wondering if this was an after-market or VW item.

Thanks for a great site.
  • legalexlegalex Posts: 4
    I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 EU Camper for around 25k. I was told I could get 10 year RV financing. It seems to be in great condition. All that is missing is the center seat, which we would have taken out for camping anyway. Also, it has the side awning and the zip on screens.

Thanks, Alexis
  • legalexlegalex Posts: 4
    I was wondering about putting a car seat in the front passenger seat of the EV with the seat turned rear facing. I would only do so if I could get passenger airbag removed or turned off. Anyone done this?

Alexis
  • pngu107pngu107 Posts: 2
    I'm a new owner of a 99 VW Eurovan Camper. This is the very first time I've owned this type of vehicle. Our family is very excited and we can't wait to go camping. There are couple things I'm not sure about:
    1. The engine runs smoothly but when the air conditioning is turned on, it's rattling a lot. I've owned several vehicles but none acted like this.
    2. The sink drains extremely slow
    I don't know if this is normal. Also I can't find a dealer near my hometown (Olympia, WA) that carries the awning for this van. I called 3 dealers in 3 nearby cities but none of them has it! Do you know where I can order one and how much it costs?
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    Try Steve Lashley at eurocampers.com.

Don't know him and have no relationship with his business, but he's been around the bus/vanagon/eurovan community for years.

Try vanagon.com for some excellent lists concerning all busses. There is a eurovan specific list. They might be able to help you with the drain problem.
  • kmathurkmathur Posts: 1
    I am Interested in Buying a '00 Eurovan MV with the weekender option. Does anybody have one? Give me a quick review
    Is this option still available? I've seen it in the brochures, but the weekender option is no longer listed edmunds and autosite.

My local VW dealerships won't sell EV's, so I cannot research this locally.
  • bar_xxbar_xx Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how to access the Camper cost on Edmunds web site. I see the GLs and MV but not the Camper.
    Has anyone recently purchased a new Camper Van in California? I would like to know if the dealer came off the msrp. I have had no success trying to get a quote via e-mail. Either the dealer was not a Camper Van dealer or I received no response.Has anyone bought one through AAA or Costco or something similar.
  • indybusindybus Posts: 3
    In response to the inquiry for an awning for the latest model Eurovan Camper, an awning can be purchased through VW for around $500. The cover is painted to match the vehicle (white). However, this same awning can be ordered through many RV equipment suppliers for around $300. The cover is aluminum and you can order it with the awning material in a variety of colors. It is made by Carefree of Colorado. You can also order the attaching brackets through the RV equipment supplier. Make sure you get the one made for the VW Eurovan camper. Carefree makes a lot of different makes and models.
    Also, someone inquired about buying through AAA. I bought mine this way after trying to negotiate with three different dealers. I bought mine at substantial savings over all the dealers through AAA. Interestingly, AAA acquired it from one of the dealers I had been negotiating with!
  • pngu107pngu107 Posts: 2
    I'm shopping for an awning for my 99 Eurovan. I talked to a Eurovan owner I met at a gas station about his awning (has "Eurovan" printed on it). He said it's not a good design and he has problem setting it up by himself... I didn't have much time to ask him more about it. It's kind of discouraging... What's your experience with your Eurovan awning? Do you recommend it?
    Folks, there is a real simple awning that I've seen on VW vans of all sorts made by Shadyboy. If ease of use is your thing, visit

www.shadyboy.com

I've also heard good things about the Catalina brand of awnings. There are several sizes. I think 8.5 feet is the model usually employed by vanagon/eurovanners. See

www.campingworld.com.

Finally, Steve Lashley (vanagon.com listmember who started a small business importing real German camping accessories) has several wonderful awnings, including some models with a sidewall or two. He also has tents to attach to your van for the ultimate accessory.

I know that eurovans require either bolting some mounting device or those add-on drip rails. I'd love to tell you more, but I don't own any of these. There are many owners of these on the vanagon and eurovan mailing list. See www.vanagon.com for details. I would suggest DIGEST mode as there are often 80-100 emails a day on the list. Great way to keep your VW running and learn how to make your van better for camping.
    Jerry did you buy your Camper Van through a dealer in California, if so which dealer and what did you pay for your van.Thanks.
    The awning with Eurovan on it is the one sold by VW as an accessory for the Eurovan. It is made by Carefree of Colorado, painted white to match the Eurovan Camper, and has a Eurovan label stuck on. It is easy to use by one reasonably coordinated person or two not so coordinated. It must be staked down to hold it in light winds and not used at all in heavy winds (My first one was torn up at a Jimmy Buffet concert in Atlanta). It does provide amply shade on a sunny day. As I mentioned before this awning can be ordered through many camping supply dealer for about $150 to $200 less than the 'official' VW one.
    bar xx, When you buy through AAA as I did, AAA looks for the best deal through several dealers and then presents the deal to you. You then actually buy the car (or van) from AAA. As noted the price AAA was able to get was better than I was able to get. I just couldn't get dealers to budge much. I used the AAA in North Carolina where I live. They had the EuroCamper delivered from the dealer in Atlanta to my office in North Carolina. No hassle.
  • safevansafevan Posts: 3
    I have been test driving minivans and the eurovan over and over for the past 9 months. I have read all of the last years postings here and am wondering about whether there is ANY information on 1) the crash safety of the eurovan, 1999 or 2000; 2) is it true that there is no dip stick and oil checks can only be done by computer; 3)that not all auto lifts can lift the EV. I found, on the european car testing web site, that they tested another VW passenger van that did very poorly. I am completely hooked on this vehicle, but cannot but it with out some kind of feedback that it is not a death trap. Anyone know anything about EV crash results??? How many have been sold in the US? Who keeps the crash results? Thanks.
    Have you checked the NHTSA for crash test info? Here is a link to Edmund's Safety info.

KarenS
    Vans host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Any chance of changing the name of this topic to VolkswagEn Eurovan instead of the missssspelled VolkswagOn Eurovan?
  • safevansafevan Posts: 3
    Well, I had already checked them, but thanks, I checked again. No crash test data is available. Anyone out there have any big accidents they want to share? Sadly, I may need to set aside my fever for the eurovan and go with safety data.
  • I've not been able to get Boardwalk in Redwood City, CA to call me back re: an EV camper, despite three calls and a visit over one year. I enlisted the aid of a broker, hammerauto.com. Mr. Hammer asked me the list price of three I found at Ron Price in So. SF. When I said around $37K (which I have reason to believe is 10% over invoice), he _said_ he could get it for $34-$35K. Well, _that_ came in at just under $36K, from -- Boardwalk! Ron Price met the price, although they had added a $5K premium sticker to the window (total=$42K!). I did not try AAA or Costco, and I did not try to negotiate further. Advantages: Ron Price is a lot closer, and I got Pearl with eleven miles on her, perfect for a slow deliberate break-in. In the literature that came with, VW/Winnebago lists every authorized EV Camper dealer in the US; let me know if you want to find one near you. sws3@pge.com. Oh, Niello.com in Sacramento quoted me 6% over invoice, but that was for a '99 last December.
  • fruf182fruf182 Posts: 1
    I bought the Weekender first year of the Eurovan
    in US and LOVE it! No problems at all! Been to
    Eastern Seaboard in Canada, out west to Manitoba,
    and all Mid-west and Eastern US. I'd never buy one new-I'd buy a good used one. They're out there-if you look. (We use ours only for major trips (only 34,900 on it-I'll be using it 20 years from now!)

On awnings: never used 'em. Just set up a
    screen house next to van. You can get a tent-like
    deal that has a shockcorded affair that fits around your open tailgate.
    Unfortunately, the software does not allow us to edit topic titles. The only thing that can be done is to close this topic and create a new one.

KarenS
    Vans host

• just so this doesn't cost you again and again...
    your ripply tires are caused your tires turning at an angle relative to the direction of the vehicle - i.e.- by misalignment - get your wheels aligned - it will save lots of money in the future
  • gentlegiantgentlegiant Posts: 12
    I think I'm ready to get a Eurovan Camper. Anyone use one for everyday driving? It would replace my New Beetle for my daily commute. Anyone know where to find pricing info like what is on this site and KBB? I want to get the best deal, and they aren't selling too well here in MN. Also, is it true that the tax and interest are deductible since this is a "second residence?" THANKS so much for the advice. gentlegiant
  • We really like the new 99/00 Eurovan, and want to buy a new or low mileage one. But we can't find any safety or reliability information. And this is important, since this VW will carry our kids.

VW hasn't been helpful, the dealers know nothing, and NHTSA hasn't crashed one. Can anybody help?
    I took a look at the IIHS (Insurance Institute Highway Safety) site, but the Eurovan was not listed. Nor was it listed in the NCAP Offset Crash Tests. Hopefully, a current Eurovan owner will drop by and offer some info.

Good luck!

KarenS
    Vans host