Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

European Delivery Experiences, Advice and Info

1235»

Comments

• khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Eurobuyers.com used to provide invoice pricing for the 3 series. Can someone recommend an alternate site that provides 3 series invoice pricing for US and/or Euro delivery?

Thanks in advance
  • clarksavageclarksavage Member Posts: 3
    Is it possible to purchase a rack & cargo box and have it shipped back in the car? There seems to be a bit of a customs issue. One possibility that I haven't got an answer to is that if the invoice for the car states that it has a rack & box, then customs shouldn't have a problem.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You'd have to check with whoever you are buying it from. IIRC, with Volvo if it's a factory installed unit it can be sent back with the vehicle.
  • inealeineale Member Posts: 1
    At what point are US sales taxes paid on the vehicle?

Thanks

Ian
    At what point are US sales taxes paid on the vehicle?

It depends on your state but most likely when you actually register the vehicle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    The host will probably delete that post, so I'll jump ahead for those interested and post a link directly to the PDF that Jon and bimmerfest was so kind to post.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    Can you import in Canada/US a Peugeot from France for example? Do you guys have any idea how the insurance companies will deal with it or any other expenses?

Thx.
    Under typical circumstances you cannot import just any vehicle from Europe.

There are specific rules on this - I'm not sure the exact but it's something like the vehicle must be 15+ years old.

Diplomats can import vehicles but they must go back when they go back.
    I HATE DIPLOMATS!!! :D
    stupid laws, why would you import a car that's 15yrs old in the first place, so you'd get an unrepairable piece of junk? So smart...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Plenty of cars that are 15 years old can be reliable and in actuality the age restriction is 25 years.

Grey Market age rules.

Plenty of unique vehicles that were not able to be imported into the US originaly are now imported when they are 25 years old or older.

Many original Mini Coopers and Austins are imported this way. Land Rover Defenders will be imported this way as well in the next few years.
    stupid laws, why would you import a car that's 15yrs old in the first place, so you'd get an unrepairable piece of junk? So smart...

Ding ding ding - we have a winnah!!

That's exactly the point - who'd want to import a 25 year old car?

The reason for not being able to import anything newer is that they probably don't meet US safety or emissions standards.
    Again tons of people import those older vehicles. If you want a classic car that was never imported into the US then you can do that.

Also for vehicles that looked the same for their entire production run, original Minis and Defenders are like this, some people will re-VIN newer vehicles with an older vehicles VIN.

By doing that they can import say a 1999 or 2000 MY Mini with airbags and fuel injection.
    The reason for not being able to import anything newer is that they probably don't meet US safety or emissions standards

And after 25 years they will?
    No but after 25 years they Gov't does not care anymore.
    talkin about being smart. You can't bring it when it's ok for the environment, but after 25 years they pollute like a chimney but hey... IT's OKAY! We all got hybrids now, you can have a black exhaust no problem. :sick:

Who's the "wise" guy that makes these stupid laws? Aren't they suppose to have someone that really thinks for them? WHERE'S THAT GUY? :mad:
    You seem to be taking it personally.

The number of 25 YO vehicles being imported is so small that their effect on the environment in inconsequential. Those vehicles aren't going to be daily drivers for the most part.

Actually, you can import any vehicle you want from abroad. You just have to take the time to federalize it and crash test it. Got an extra $5-7 million hanging around to ensure that $15K Citroen meets US standards?
    nvm... it's still stupid..
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Any dealers who are friendly to ED and provide discount from US MSRP?
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    There is no discount for Porsche - they are the only manufacturer that CHARGES for ED. But if you time it right they will let you go to one on their semi-annual test track jaunts.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Just curious if this has changed.

Back in 1988 while I was still in the military I got stationed in Germany for 3 years. I decided to ship my car with me seeing I was going to be there for 3 years. Before I could pick it up in Germany I had to have the catlytic converter removed, so when it comes off the boat you sit in line and have a AAFES shop remove the converter. fast forward 3 years, whe nI brought it home I had to have the Converter put back on to pass inspection in the states.

Do they build cars for sale in the US with the converter and cars for sale in Europe without? Or do the Europeans now use a catlytic converter on there cars?

BTW if there is anyone who is ever going to go over seas with the Military don't go through the hassle of taking a car. You can pick one up for a song from someone getting ready to come home that needs to dump there ride. At least when I was in Italy for 18 months and Germany for 3 years many moons ago you could pick up a 3 series BMW dirt cheap.
    Europe now has their own emissions standards that are not as strict as in North America. People who take vehicles over to Europe as part of their transfer don't have to deal with those issues any longer.

The reason you had to pull your converter was most likely because you couldn't get unleaded fuel there. Using it in a vehicle equipped with a converter would've damaged said converter.
  • rockfish1rockfish1 Member Posts: 113
    Do any of you stories of buyers going to Europe to purchase their cars? From what I read in the WSJ nice discounts are available for European cars purchased over there. They also provide test drives on ice cover lakes. Over there you can get a test drive and enjoy a European vacation with the money you saved on the car purchase!

Do you think I could get a matching deal here with a little grinding?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Hate to say this but taking test drives on ice covered lakes on my vacation will never happen. Ice covered lakes means winter (when its also winter here) if I am taking a winter vacation the only ice I want to see is in my drinks.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Thanks for a reply, I was trying to change the topic back to some interesting stories but the effort seems to be lost in the crowd of bickering.

The WSJ did show a picture of a car on a frozen lake. I'm not sure where they obtained the picture for the story was in this week's paper when it was 90 degrees here.

If I would put out the money for a high level car I would like to test out some of its limits.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Both BMW & Merc have European Delivery programs, and Volvo may as well, but I'm not sure (don't care, so haven't researched).

The BMW ED invoice price is significantly lower (I can't remember the percentage, but it's on the order of 6-8%) than the U.S. (with a corresponding sticker), for the car only. The options are the same price regardless of ED. Some dealers will negotiate the ED price, with $1000 over ED invoice considered a good deal. Some claim to have gotten $500 over ED invoice.

Either way, it's an attractive option to me. I've traveled in Germany on business a few times, so know my way around there (plus Austria & Switzerland), so that's my plan for my next car. Fly over on frequent flyer miles with my wife, don't have to rent a car (as we did on our last trip over there) & get a discount on a car optioned exactly as I want it. What's not to like?

However, dealing on ED prices isn't going to work very well if you bring the kind of attitude we've seen on this board lately.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Who is contacted for European pricing? Is it the car company directly or the local dealer.

Since the cars being shipped to North America are only the ones that were going to be shipped here anyway (no Europe only options) and with discounts up to 9% per the WSJ, I'm not sure how much is left for the dealer to make it worthwhile for him to be involved.
    Who is contacted for European pricing? Is it the car company directly or the local dealer.

Go to the dealer. Typically they have certain people who deal with European Delivery.

Some brands (BMW/MB) allow dealers to negotiate the ED price. Others (Saab/Volvo) do not. The dealer gets paid a flat amount to process the order and they don't make a profit on selling the actual car.
    ED pricing is also available at the brands website. I looked up ED pricing on a Volvo V70R about a year ago thinking I wanted to do that for my next new car.

Now of course they discontinued the V70R so that won't happen. :cry:
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Google BMW European Delivery and you'll find probably the best BMW website out there with fora for all the details on how to take delivery in Europe. Also, the last I knew, any vehicle purchased via ED did not come out of a particular dealers allotment and the invoice price was less, which is how they can be sold for such a discount as compared to one where delivery is taken over here.

You purchase it at your local dealer with all the usual negotiations. But you go to Europe and take delivery but they handle having it shipped back here to your local dealer. Just do your research and then find a local dealer that will do the ED option. With the savings, it's a nice way to get a free vacation in Europe.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Saab has a special winter ED package that includes staying at an ice hotel, dog sledding and driving their cars on a frozen lake. Check their web site for more details and 2008 dates may be posted, I think they were in February and March this year.
  • rgould22rgould22 Member Posts: 21
    I did the Volvo OSD in 2002. Loved it. Kept waiting for the gotcha to happen. Never did.
    Doing it again in 2 weeks. :)
    The OSD program is actually the reason I'm replacing the 2002 Volvo instead of waiting until the wheels drop off like I have with all my other cars.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just take a European vacation and wait to buy a new car until you really need one??

I looked into the ED program for the Volvo C70 too. At the time though they weren't doing any discounting and then after I actually drove the car, I didn't like it all that much anyway. But we're thinking about maybe a S60 to replace our Maxima in a couple years.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    It makes since if you want to go to Europe and you want a car that is available through European Delivery. We bought a 2002 BMW 530i and a 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible through ED Programs; love both cars and loved both vacations.
  • mitchyostmitchyost Member Posts: 2
    rgould22,

Are you back from your OSD trip yet? I would like to hear about your experience.

I am a fellow Silver Spring, Marylander looking into a XC90 OSD.

Because I had four concussions in less than two years (hence the need for a XC90) it is easier for me to speak on the phone as opposed to chat in a forum, so if you are willing to speak directly please contact me offline (see my profile).

If that doesn't work for you, here is fine.

Regards
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Just to let you guys know, Audi is offering European Delivery program as well.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Has anyone been able to get a discount on current Porsche-any model--ED?
  • ebrucemdebrucemd Member Posts: 1
    May be obvious questions, but I am planning on buying a BMW 3 series next spring. want to try the euro delivery. my questions are:
    1) does the negotiated price include the cost of shipping and tariffs, etc? People love telling me that the cost of shipping kills any cost savings that you might have accrued.
    2) are the options on the vehicle, such as the navigation system, for the USA, or do they have to be changed once the car is in the states?
    3) is there a minimum amount of driving (distance or days) that must be done in europe to have it qualify as a used car?
    4) any updates on good websites for finding ED pricing?
    Thanks guys
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    1) Yes, included

2) USA options

3) No minimums

4) BMW European Delivery

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    No ED discounts on Porsches, ever.
  • jayintxjayintx Member Posts: 2
    I'm taking delivery of a 2007 Volvo S80 in April from Gothenberg. I checked virtually all ED programs, but my wife and I happen to like this car - I drove and researched all the other options so please don't tell me why they are better, matter of personal preference - and found it to be far and away the best ED program out there. Because this is last year's model (and they only had 2 of the 3.2s left) they gave all options (sport, climate, paint) at no charge, discounted the base MSRP by 8% and then charged $2200 for the nav system. Told them it was a deal breaker and they actually brought it down to $1500, so I got a $45,415 MSRP for $37,300. The winter special also got me 2 free roundtrip tickets, a 3 day stopover in Rome (or Dublin) with hotel and breakfast, and 2 days in Gothenberg. I spoke with the agent and they will also loan me the DVDs for the nav system for Europe, then replace them with the NA maps before shipping at no charge. A nice perk, since Garmin wanted $299 for the Nuvi upgrade. She also agreed to throw in the rubber floor and trunk mats at no cost. Price includes everything up to and including pickup from my local dealer. I couldn't touch this car for this price as a demo, and the vacation was a real bonus. We take a European vacation pretty much every year so a no-brainer. BMW will give you 1 free ticket with 1 purchased, no hotel or airport transportation; Audi same deal; Saab has suspended their program until 2009, and doesn't know if it will be offered at all. I know the dealer, and they get a $3,000 payment from Volvo for every vehicle they sell, so that is their margin. I have no idea why they would do this, but I'm grabbing it while it lasts. If you want a 2008, you still get the RT tickets for 2 and 1 night hotel in Gothenberg, plus 14 days insurance and they are doing some things with specific models if you are willing to take a pre-built. We are going to spend a month driving around, and our only other expense for the car is $50 to extend the insurance for the entire visit. The only real downside is waiting 2 months for your car to arrive in the US. My son is very interested in the C30 and will probably do this program in the fall. He is pricing out at around $25,000 net - so you don't have to buy high end to get the program.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Wow, sounds like a great time and a great deal. I had never heard of this program till I started posting here.

The only ED I had ever heard of were on TV commercials. :blush: :P
  • alexanderkalexanderk Member Posts: 9
    I could not find info on Euro Delivery of 750Li in the forum. Does any one know the lease numbers to compare? Is this 7% dicount of MSRP or the best negotiated price?
    Did any one took ED of BMW 750li or Audi A8?
    :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    For BMW specific discussion of ED, check here:

BMW European Delivery

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    1. Is there a time limit on shipping the car back to the US?

2. Do rebates apply to ED cars (like the current $1500 on the C300)?
This discussion has been closed.