Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

nliang711nliang711 Member Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi all,

I just want to see if any of you can shed some
light on passat pricing for me. I found a 99
passat that is still left over from last year at
the local dealership. It has 4000 miles on it and
obviously a demo. I was wondering how I could go
about fairly pricing a deal on this car? It is the
1.8T with automatic and luxury package, which
carries an MSRP of about 24k orginially. Also, I
remember reading that the 99 passats at the end of
99 had a $1000 dealer incentive. Can i account for
this incentive even thought it's well into 2000
already?

Also, do you know if VW has special financing
plans? I keep reading on some dealer ads that they
offer 3.9% apr on passats, but I can't seem to
find anything about that on Edmunds.

thanks for your help.

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Nliang711, I believe that the 3.9% financing that many Volkswagen dealers are advertising right now is a special program through VW Credit on 2000 Passat GLS 4-cyl. models only. I doubt that the car that you are looking at is still eligible for this program.

The problem with purchasing a left-over 1999 model year demo at this point is that from my perspective I doubt that the dealership will provide an adequate discount to justify purchasing it over a brand new one. This is often the case with demo vehicles. This 1999 Passat has already experienced a significant amount of depreciation and should be priced accordingly.

Car_Man
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Co-Host
  • nliang711nliang711 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Carman,

thanks for your advice. I have priced out a 2000 passat that is similar to the 99. The dealer wants 500 over invoice which seems fair, but is this a good deal? and is the 3.9% financing available nationwide? My dealer does not seem to be advertising it.

Another point I wanted to ask about was the $1000 incentive on the 99 i mentioned above. I still want to try negotiating on the 99 and was wondering if I can try to mention the incentive during the negotiation process. Since the vehicle has depreciated, should I ask to pay only the blue book value on the car?

thanks for your help again.
  • sauradeepsauradeep Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody help me telling what should be a good price for VW Passat GLX (tiptronic 5 speed Automatic OD)with CD player/changer. How much total (including destination charges etc)one should pay for this car in Austin, TX. How much one should pay over the invoice price?

I will very much appreciate your quick response on this. Thanks in advance. Pranay
    Hi Pranay. I'm not all that familiar with the market for Volkswagens in Texas. However, in most parts of the country I would say that you should be able to negotiate a deal on a 2000 Passat GLX for around $1,000 over invoice or so assuming that there is an adequate supply. I suggest that you pay a visit to the Edmunds.com Sedans Conference. There you should be able to interact with other VW Passat owners and shoppers who may even live in your part of the country. Please click here to go there: Town Hall Sedans Conference.

Car_Man
  • rickabtrickabt Member Posts: 34
    GLX's are rare in most parts of the country right now because--for some reason unbeknownst even to VW dealers--the manufacturer has been shipping several GLS V6's loaded with leather and luxury packages. Go figure!

Pranay, if you are interested in the GLX on account of the automatic AC/heat and triple-memory power seat, please do not be surprised if you must pay over $1000 above invoice. However, an absolutely loaded GLS V6 will sell at a more liberal discount, so that sounds like a decent offer to make.

Please note that VW dealers do not receive holdback! Therefore, the cost in any case is actually *above* invoice!
    Rickabt, I know a couple of people in my neck of the woods who have purchased Passats lately. Some have purchased GLSs for less than $500 over invoice. Given the high level of competition, dealerships in my area don't seem to be making very high grosses on Passats right now. As I mentioned in my post, it is entirely possible that in Texas, or in your area, that there is much less competition and the prices will be higher.

Car_Man
  • jin_satxjin_satx Member Posts: 40
    Don't buy your car in Austin, buy it in San Antonio at Ancira Volkswagen. Check their website
    www.ancira.com for the 800 number. Call and ask for John Wiel (pronounced "while"). You will get a deal at $200 to 500 over pure invoice. No bull, no hassle, buy it over the phone. They are also great on trades, better than anybody in south texas. Tell him Joel sent you. Have done numerous deals with John and Ancira, great person and company.
  • ew3ew3 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2000 Passat GLS V6 and interested in where I can find Dealer Cost in Canada. Also interested in the "best price" for this type of vehicle, ie dealer cost +3%?, and if there have been any problems or customer issues with the GLS V6 and/or VW. eW...
    Ew3, for more information on Canadian pricing, I suggest that you check out Smart Shoppers Topic #1368. There is lots of info there that I think you will find helpful. Please click here to go there: Edmunds.com Smart Shoppers Conference Topic #1368 "Canadian Car Buying".

Car_Man
  • footprintsfootprints Member Posts: 28
    Car_man
    When you state that one can purchase a Passat for $500 above invoice does that include the fair profit of 3%. I am being offered between close to $25K to $27K for a Gls, with manual, luxury and leather packages. When calculating the edmund.com and cartips.com I estimated (with the dealer profit being a bit above $600) at about $24,3K.
    Is there a discrepancy to the amount I calculated?
  • passatallpassatall Member Posts: 4
    I am determined to buy a Passat GLS with AT, sunroof and leather and I live in Chicago area. I went to a dealer only to find out that they are rude and arrogant, like people are begging them to buy a VW. The price they gave is 500 below MSRP. I am looking for a price a little above invoice, like 400 or 500 over. Has anybody heard any deal in this Chicago area?

Thanks,

passatALL
    Footprints, I am definitely not saying that everyone can purchase a VW Passat for $500 over invoice. However, I do know two individuals in my area who are good shoppers who were able to get 2000 Passat GLSs for around $500 over invoice. I would guess that $1,000 over invoice or a little less is a reasonable price to expect for the car that you're interested in.

Car_Man
  • carczarcarczar Member Posts: 23
    I'm also looking to buy a Passat GLS 4cylinder for my wife. The ad on Sunday paper listed one with auto, lux pak and Monsoon CD chnger at $22,990. Is this a good price? could this be one of those bait-and -switch gimmicks?
  • rickabtrickabt Member Posts: 34
    I can't claim to know what that Illinois dealer charges for the 6-disc changer--or if VW has any regional association fees (usually range from $75-$100)--but that price is approximately the dealer invoice ... it constitutes a great deal.

By the word of law, the car must have existed at the time the ad was taken to press. If the car is in-stock when you show up, they are obligated to sell it for that price.

To be sure, I cannot even buy one from my own dealership for so little! Good luck pouncing on it! I hope you're not let down.
  • peatnickpeatnick Member Posts: 26
    is the best deal i can get on a passat glx 4motion, silver or blue anthracite with black interior in the nyc-philly area. i talked with a dozen dealers in five states so i know this is the market condition.

Question - if i wait for 2001 model year what are the chances vw lowers the msrp? DM is down 40% vs. USD ytd, vw's costs should be relatively consistent. this amounts to a 40% increase in the margin, less whatever they've hedged for currency fluctuation. i realize the only benefit to vw of lowering the msrp is to sell more passats, and vw seems to have no trouble selling everything they can build. does any of you know of any new capacity coming on line this year at wolfsburg?
    Peatnick, personally I really doubt that
    Volkswagen will lower the price of the Passat for
    the 2001 model year reguardless of what their home currency does. All of their redesigned products have been selling very well in the U.S. and have absolutely no cash incentives on them. Either some consumer or dealer cash on certain models would probably precede a price reduction and I don't see any indications that would lead me to believe that VW will introduce any new cash on its products in the near future.

Car_Man
  • jamesgibbonsjamesgibbons Member Posts: 4
    Hey Peatnick I know a dealer in Poconos who will give you 500 over invoice or less. I am going to buy from him this fall when the 2001 comes out. I f you want i can tell him for you
  • manchuzamanchuza Member Posts: 6
    I am considering the purchase of a new 2000 Passat GLS 1.8 Turbo, as follows:

Silver, black interior
    Custom (aftermarket) high-grade full leather, in color of my choice.
    16" GLX wheels with Michelin tires
    "Luxury" package.

Price is $25,100--Southeast USA

Includes autombile relocation from nearby state, and handling for shipping to me (I don't live in the same state as this dealer).

Is this a fair price for this car???
  • manchuzamanchuza Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I omitted to add that this car is with a manual transmission (which I greatly prefer).

Thanks
  • socalvwersocalvwer Member Posts: 1
    A local SoCal VW dealer is advertising "$2500 off MSRP on all new Passat's in stock" with these model numbers listed: 3B24N9 and 3B24N5.

Anyone know what these model numbers refer to? Any where to find out? I've searched the web but can't find them.

In addition, they are offering the finance deal on these Passats.

FYI: The going advertised prices for GLS Passats with the AT is under $20K around Southern California. Whether you can get them for that price is another question....
  • tommyleslietommyleslie Member Posts: 1
    I am currently living in the states but will be moving to Germany for three years in about 10 months. Does anyone know the price of a passat in Germany? I am debating over whether to purchase the car in the states or wait until I get to Germany. I know that the Euro is down but I'm not sure if the Passat is more/less expesive in Germany. Any advice on this or where I can find extra info. would be appreciated.
  • newfi64newfi64 Member Posts: 3
    I am currently in the market for a 2000 Passant and am debating between the 4 and 6 cyl GLS models. I am currently driving an 4 cyl 16 valve 87 Toyota Celica and have not had any problems over the years. Does anyone know if there really is that big of a difference between the two? I am interested in an auto trans.

ANy feedback would be appreciated.
  • pet3pet3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning a Passat purchase in the next few months is there any advance speculation as to what changes or additions will be made for the 2001 models? Any opinions reguarding 4cyl. v. V6. I live in Western MA., does anyone know of a $500 over invoice dealer nearby? Albany,NY. dealers ? Thanks in advance.
  • nliang711nliang711 Member Posts: 3
    To the previous posters who were asking about Chicago area VW dealers. I was quoted 500 over invoice at Jennings VW in Glenview for any passat that they had in stock, and that was without any haggling! Their dealers are very courteous and professional, and I was treated really well. They claim to be the largest volume VW dealer in Illinois so I guess you won't have any problems finding the car you want in stock.

good luck
  • vachataboonvachataboon Member Posts: 6
    I have been quoted between $200 and $500 over invoice in Houston so far. Even though there are five dealers in Houston, demand is pretty high. I'm looking for a Passat sedan GLX 4Motion. The GLS can be had for under invoice, but the pricing is pretty varied and I haven't really looked at that trim level. Silver seems to be the predominient available color this month.
    Sorry guys, if you want to look at pricing on the 'net, try www.demontrond.com. They usually have their inventory (it's pretty up to date too) and MSRP and invoice price so you can get a pretty good idea. If you are Houston, I'd shy away from buying from them since they add a $275 "dealer service fee" which is a package of discount service coupons, etc. after your 2 yr/24,000 covered maintenance is over. They do not deduct this if you don't want it. What a bummer, but at least you can see what they have in stock, price and you can get another dealer to get that car for you in a dealer trade.
  • booco206booco206 Member Posts: 2
    vachataboon, I've just started looking at a 2000 Passat sedan gls or glx, auto trans and leather for my wife. We've been to Advantage to test drive, but havent started negotiations.

Bummer about DeMontrand - they're the local contact for Carpoint's finding/buying service.

I'll post any great deals I come across - please do the same.
  • rskybizrskybiz Member Posts: 3
    to newfi64, you definitely want to go with the V6 over the 4 cylinder, it's a whole different world (that is, if you enjoy driving and don't consider it just a way to get from point A to B). The six is so responsive, a real blast. My Passat GLX is just a real kick to drive every day. Don't even think about the four in a car the size of the Passat.
    After dealing with 4 VW dealers in Houston, I've discovered the following for a 2000 Passat sedan GLX, 4Motion (no CD changer):

Prices are final without TTL. No trade in.

* Advantage - $30,680
    * Archer - $28,395
    * Demontrond - $29,665
    * Momentum - $30,905

Personally, I'd rather deal with Archer. Talk to Jennifer Smith. They are very upfront with you and friendly. The others just didn't seem to be that customer oriented, which is a shame. Plus they didn't want to negotiate on the price. However, on a GLS, they are more flexible.

To save money, go buy the CD changer from the parts department after you buy the car. The Monsoon system is prewired for a changer.
  • booco206booco206 Member Posts: 2
    Is that with, or without, the automatic transmission (tiptronic)?
    Thanks.
  • kdhjd99kdhjd99 Member Posts: 2
    FYI - I was offered GLX w/ 4 motion at invoice in DC suburb. The speed to which we arrived at that price (7 minutes) made me really greedy, so now I'm shopping it around. The sales manager specifically said he "makes profit via 3% holdback" so VW does have holdbacks. Has anyone purchased a GLX w/ or w/out 4 motion below invoice
  • sbdassbdas Member Posts: 1
    I'm reading that many of you have been able to get "invoice" price. What is that exactly? By my calc., it should be around 28600. Is that what you are getting? The other question is did anybody get the spoiler. How does it look?

Saurabh
  • ribkinribkin Member Posts: 2
    GLX Passat w/ 4 motion at invoice in
    DC suburb ? ? ?
    Can you give me your dealer name and address please ? ? ?
    Is it too late to order a 2000 Passat GLS? I am now getting the round about statement that the Indigo blue, beige leather, manual Passat I want is difficult to get. When I asked about either getting one from another dealer or ordering the Passat. The response is that I may not be able to get the color scheme I want,"choose a 2nd color", or that I will have to pay MSRP if I order it. I thought that ordering a vehicle is not any additional cost? Is the dealer just trying to get rid if the vehicles that are currently in there lot and stating that for their own purposes?
  • rskybizrskybiz Member Posts: 3
    There's no such thing as buying any car at invoice, not sure what you mean. But if you want a straight deal in the DC area, try Stohlman VW at Tysons Corner. You can do it all through the web, give it a shot, great inventory.
  • jin_satxjin_satx Member Posts: 40
    If you are anywhere near San Antonio TX, Ancira VW has a quite a few Indigo Blue Passat GLS's on their lot and I'll bet there is one equipped as you want. You can check their website for an 800 number at www.Ancira.com If you call, ask for John Weil (pronounced "while"). Great salesman and they give great deals. Good luck.
    That is GLX with 4Motion, which requires the tiptronic.
  • deuce564deuce564 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $22,600 for a 2000 Passat 1.8 with the luxury package in Colorado Springs. My first VW and I absolutely love it after spending the last 16 years in several Accords. Instead of just a practical vehicle, I now have one that's fun as well!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm looking for a GLS 4Motion wagon with ONLY the leather package. The Monsoon system would be nice, but I can take or leave it. I'm not interested in the GLX because I don't want the Climatronic, power seats, magic wipers, or sunroof. My guess is there is maybe one Passat in the entire US so equipped...:(
  • deuce564deuce564 Member Posts: 2
    Should add the $22,600 (post #39) I paid included Tiptronic Automatic Transmission as well as the luxury package.
  • kdhjd99kdhjd99 Member Posts: 2
    By invoice I refer to the dealer invoice or the so called price the dealer paid Volkswagon for the car. The offer was made at Koons Volkswagon in Marlow Heights, MD I'm hoping to buy 2-morrow, I refer if I feel good about it. I've also heard good things about it Stolzman(sp?) in Tysons Corner, VA
    Car_man
    There appears to be some 2001 pricing for certain vehicles. I was wondering if there is any way of finding out what the price would be for a VW Passat 2001.
    For over a month now I have been attempting to purchase a Passat 2000 to no avail. At this point I feel the next thing to do is order a 2001.
    The last dealer I spoke with, in the NJ area, stated that he would be receiving the 2001 Passat's by the end of July or beginning of August.
    I currently have a pre-approved loan through a CU and if possible I would prefer it not to expire (expiration is the 2nd week of August). Is there any information that would be available on "vehicle cost" prior to or by the expected delivery date to VW dealers.
    Going by last years increase of 1.5% I would not figure that there should be much of a difference this year. Would that be a safe asset?
    Hi footprints. The only 2001 model year pricing that I have seen for Volkswagens at this point is on the Cabrio. I suspect that Volkswagen will release the pricing for the rest of its 2001 models in the not so distant future. It's hard to say exactly how much the '01 model Passat will cost, but I don't expect that it will be very different than the 2000 model.

Car_Man
  • putchieputchie Member Posts: 1
    I am in NYC. I am looking to buy a Passat GLS 1.8 liter or a Passat GLS-V6. How much of a percentage over Dealer Invoice (or Consumer Reports Wholesale Price) is reasonable? My wife only drives automatic, so, unfortunately, I need that. We also want Green exterior with Gray interior.

For GLS - Dlr Inv + auto + Dest. chg.= $20,893
    For GLS V6 - Dlr Inv + auto + Dest.chg.= $23,242

I don't want to pay over 4% because I'm going to get whacked with an 8 1/4% sales tax as well.

Comments???
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    Putchie,
    4% over should be fine for most models out there, depending on availability. I'm in Virginia, and on the 4-cyl 4% would be a done deal. On the 6-cyl, however, they are fast disappearing here, so in this area, you would have to fight for that price. Hopefully for you, NY has a bunch for you.
    Jason
    Carman,

I have been mulling the deal over the weekend and did I get a good deal? When I really think about it, I am getting an almost year old car for 100 over invoice - should I wait and see what the 2001 prices are? Or do I still have room to negotiate a few hundred off?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Newfi64
  • farfenugenfarfenugen Member Posts: 1
    New,
    I've been mulling the same thing about waiting for the 2001 models. It's a tough choice. Friday, a miracle happened (well, we'll see). There was an ad in the paper for a 99 GLX. It has 22K miles. More than I wanted, but they are asking $22,5 for it which is great in this area (Raleigh). I'm going to test drive it tonight. Does anyone know the differences between a 99 and 2000? Kelley Blue Book has this car market for $28,850 and trade in for $24,160. Is there a way to find out what will be new on the 2001s?
    Newfi64, I think that $100 over invoice is a great deal for the car that you got. I don't believe that the 2001 Passats are even out yet and even when they do come out there won't be much of a difference from the 2000 model. I really doubt that the dealership that you're buying from will go any lower on this car than they already have. This is one of the better deals that I've seen on a Passat. Enjoy your new car.

Car_Man
    Newfi here!
    Thanks for the replies - I am picking my new car up tonight. Funny thing is I can't seem to get too excited about going back into debt. after not having a car payment for 10 years. I am sure once I get in the car that will all change!!
    As for what will be different in the 2001's, I cannot get any answers from my sales guy. He said he thought they may actually get some info. this week or next, as far as pricing, but nothing on any changes. he seemed pretty confident it will remain pretty much the same.

Good luck with your 99 GLX farfenugen, I hope it all works out for you.

And thanks for the reply Carman, I have heard from several people that $100 over invoice is a really good deal, especially when I read some of the other messages.
  • stirestire Member Posts: 1
    To the person wanting a 5 Speed, Indigo Passat with Leather Interior - Try contacting the Countryside Volkswagen dealership in Maplewood, MN. I just saw one with the sunroof package on their showroom floor last night 6/27/00. Good Luck.