Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Depreciation is only an issue if you are planning
    to get a new car in a couple of years, and if that is the case; you should be leasing
  • maloney2maloney2 Member Posts: 3
    Just test drove a 1999 Passat wagon, turbo, Tiptronic, cloth interior and 32k miles. VW dealer would not budge from $18,500. I felt it was about $500 too high.
  • soilisoili Member Posts: 3
    I had a look at the restyled Passat: http://www.beetlebuzz.com/2000.html. Hmmmm.
    Fine, if you like a lot of chrome, I guess, but to me it seems almost as bad as the 1999 Mustang redesign. And the Mustang 1998s seem to have depreciated slower than usual because there are so many people who hate the new look.

I like the present sleek and understated appearance of the Passat, which is why I am very glad I bought the GLS 2001 yesterday. Only $580 under MSRP, not as well as some people seem to have managed, but got a good price for my trade-in. A more patient person would have reached Edmunds True Market Value easily. On the whole, I am happy though, since it is the exact color (indigo blue w. beige velour) and options (merely tiptronic) that I wanted. It is a lovely car and the driving experience is just sublime.

-Soili
  • johnv11johnv11 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the link, I loved the new look however. My lease is up in June 2001 on my current vehicle, does anyone know if the new Passat will be in showrooms by then?
  • soilisoili Member Posts: 3
    Well, taste matters are taste matters, then you should definitely wait.
    When I bought my 2001, the salesperson said
    March 2001 is when the facelifted models will
    be out. So you got yourself a nice window,
    and it does not seem like they are going to
    hike the prices either.

-Soili
  • srayersrayer Member Posts: 11
    Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are looking to purchase '01
    Passat GLS. The only options we are interested
    in are the Monsoon System and Luxury Package.
    Wondering what we could expect to pay for the
    car? I have priced the invoice cost as follows:

Passat GLS 5spd : $19,519
    Luxury Pkg : $ 1,369
    Monsoon : $ 287
    Destination : $ 525
    -------------------------
    Total : $21,700

To be honest with you, I am not really sure
    how popular Passat's are, but I certainly
    don't see too many of them on the road
    here in Phoenix. Are VW dealers known to
    be easy to deal with when it comes to price
    negotiating? Not sure if if $300 over
    invoice would be pushing it? I would love
    to get this car for $22,000 before TTL.
    What do you think?
    US launch of the 2001.5 Passat will be at the
    Detroit Show in early January...in the Showrooms
    February with Six new colors and the 280HP engine
    coming late Spring/Early Summer...just for you.
    I have all the prices...email me if you wish...
    PS
  • srayersrayer Member Posts: 11
    I didn't realize that '01 Passat's have side
    curtain airbags. This is great! Looks like
    crash tests were really good too. Since you're
    a VW dealer maybe you can help me answer another
    question about the 2001.5 model? Looks like
    there's going to be some minor changes to the car.
    Can someone factory order a 2001.5 model now or
    arrange for a European delivery of the newer
    model? My wife & I are planning our vacation for next year, and the thought of picking up a new VW in Germany and driving on the autobahns would be
    a lot of fun!
    Good Morning...Full set of pix available at the
    following address vwvortex.com Full story as well.
    We will *probably* make European delivery available again later in 2001...I will post that at westerVW.com as soon as I know for sure. And

I have the order codes & pricing will fax to you
    if you wish...send an email to westerVW@msn.com
    I thought I had the *redesign* pricing, but it is
    just the order codes & colors (11) Sorry about that...
  • mpls1mpls1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm buying a new 2001 passat GLS V6 with the leather pkg & monsoon system. I'm working with dealers in Minneapolis and they seem to be having trouble finding this model w/these options and they are trying to sell me the luxury package in addition and I don't want the luxury pkg. (saying it is easier to find with both the luxury & leather pkgs.) Has anyone else run into this situation? And has anyone worked with any dealers in Minneapolis??
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    From my recollection,

Very few of these cars are ordered in reality with just leather. Generally, cars are ordered with the Lux pkg due to the moonroof and alloy wheels.

Also, the initial cost will repay itself at resale/trade-in time.

Bill
  • vlsi54199vlsi54199 Member Posts: 2
    I got my passat GLS v6 one month ago at a really decent price. List some info below, might be help for you guys.
    Invoice: $21,642 (GLS V6 base, 5M)
    Lux Pkg: $1,325
    Des Cha: $525
    ----------------
    Total : $23,492
    ----------------
    I paid : $23,500
    Only 8$ over invoice!!

If you can locate a Heritage dealer near you, go ahead, they have 1 cent over invoice again. And don't forget print $100 coupon from www.mileone.com (I forgot that :( )

BTW, I bought a 2000 model. But I'm pretty sure you can get the same deal on 2001 models. Actually I only reduce $200 from the dealer's initial price and he accepted that! (I should ask for more...) Anyway, it's already a good deal. I'm really satisfied.

Good luck on your shopping!
  • maloney2maloney2 Member Posts: 3
    VW dealers in late September were getting a $750 rebate on some 2000 Passat wagons that was not disclosed to customers.

But this week I got a new 2000 GLS V6 Wagon, 5sp, luxury and cold wx packages w/Monsoon, MSRP $27,130 for $24,353! I had 3 dealers begging to sell me that car. Now is a great time to buy a 2000 wagon. Nice car.
    Mr. Maloney, FYI, Volkswagen does not offer rebates, cash back to customers, I do not believe
    any German MfG. does. This site has posted under
    *Incentives* on the Home page, all manufacturers
    Incentive Programs. It is not a matter of VW not
    disclosing these, but you're failure to ask...
    There is either a discounted APR thru VCI or Cash
    discount on the car. The dealer, however, loses
    the *incentive* if the customer elects to avail
    himself of the *special rates*. Things are not
    always so mysterious or secretive as we would like to think.
    Enjoy your Great Car...
  • mpls1mpls1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I've changed my mind & will be purchasing the 2001 GLS v4, Auto Transmission - $1073
    Luxury Pkg. - $1369
    Leather Pkg. - $1325
    Monsoon Sound - $287
    Destination Chg. - $525
    Invoice - $19,519
    Total - $24,098
    This is the invoice pricing. Is it realistic for me to expect to pay $500 over invoice for a total of $24,598 for this car?
    Not if you are dealing with me...My posted price
    for any Passat GLS is $1000 over Invoice. GLX is
    a $1000 Discount from MSRP. I charge $500 over for
    a basic Beetle or Jetta 2.0L, but if you can get it at that, and want to do the ole back & forth;
    go for it.
    What I would recommend though, for an enjoyable
    experience is to see if your local dealer has an
    internet site, and then deal with the ISM. Bear in mind; I have no idea where you are, or what kind
    of market you are in (metro/suburban). Here in Ca. most Dealers in the SF/SJ area start at $1995
    over MSRP & $2995 for Silver. On the other hand
    we charge no ADM. You will be purchasing/leasing
    one of the most highly awarded mid-sized passenger cars in this country and your New Passat should now be equipped with *Full Curtain
    Side AirBags* from the "A" pillar to the "C" pillar plus the side airbags in the seat. Make sure that your Passat has this new feature...It is listed under Safety/Durability on the window
    stiker as "Side Curtain Protection". If the car
    that you are looking at does not have it then this
    is old inventory, and if you don't care about this
    feature then you may want to pursue your $500 over
    offer. If you would like to know more I can fax you a sheet on this very important new safety feature...which by the way, is, as of today, a NO
    CHARGE item...PS
  • schachtschacht Member Posts: 2
    I have test driven a new 2000 Passat V6 GLS Wagon that I would like to buy but I am concerned about the fact that it has 500 miles on it. Apparently it came to the dealer I am negotiating with from another dealer about 40 miles away. Is this a problem to be concerned about? Has the car been driven too far into it's break-in period by someone who isn't careful because they won't end up owning it? Do you suppose there is a concealed reason it hasn't sold yet?
    This Passat has been in inventory for awhile...
    The fact that it is a *dealer trade* should be of little concern. More importantly, do you want to buy this wagon? If this is the one you want to take home; let me know and I'll tell you what to do. PS
  • schachtschacht Member Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure we are ready to make the deal. I just have to overcome my wife's concern about the mileage. We are looking at a 2001 4 cylinder Passat GLS too, which is just about the same price, but I can get a better trade-in at the dealer with the 2000 V6. What do you suggest?
    You have to determine the source of the miles...
    If the car came from just 40 miles away; where
    did the other 450 or so come from? Was this a
    "roll back"? Lots of questions...PS
  • jack2626jack2626 Member Posts: 2
    any thoughts on the better value here. I have noticed that volkswagons are soft on resale, and previous generation passats (1995 models) had tranny problems at 50k miles. anybody out there who has driven both??
  • boomer1523boomer1523 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to bite on a 2001 Passat GLX, auto, invoiced at $27400. I can get it for $28,300, so we're close, but I'd like some feedback just for my peace of mind. Should I be able to get it for less. There are not that many dealers close to where I live. Should I be concerned about buying from one dealer and having it serviced by another? If so, should I pay more from a dealer near me?
    I would charge $1000 over...Take the dealer to
    lunch with $100...and enjoy your GREAT new car
    and your new relationship with your local dealer...PS
  • boomer1523boomer1523 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for response. I spent a wonderful few days last summer in Pacific Grove at the Green Gables Inn. I should return, buy a Passat from you and drive it back to Ky.
    You were right down the street from our house...
    If that is what you want to do, I will pick you up
    at the Monterey Airport and make reservations for you at the Green Gables...and we can do dinner at
    Fandango...
  • japan1japan1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a military member stationed overseas and I will be moving back to the states in the very near future. Upon my return, I will be searching the market for a new car. I would like to purchase a 2001 Passat GLX. Can some shed some light on what I should pay for this vehicle. In addition, I would like to know if the Honda Accord EX-V6 competes well with the GLX Passat. I will be making the purchase in Atlanta Ga. Please provide as much information as possible. Thanks
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Danny,

If you haven't done so yet, you should read Edmunds' Comparo of Mid-sized Family Sedans. Both are excellent cars, with the top of the line Passat offering a few more features and better driving experience than the Honda EX-V6. The advantage of the Honda is its legendary reliability.

As for how much can you get a Passat for, that depends on the supply and demand. The great reviews of the Passat have certainly increased the demand and hence, reduced some of the buyer's leverage for the car. You may want to throw out some request thru Autobuytel, Carpoint, Stoneage and see what these services are offering. I got our wagon thru the latter via a dealership in Huntsville for $1100 over the invoice.

George
  • busanbusan Member Posts: 12
    Are the invoice prices the true dealer cost for the car? Or is there also a little fat in there? Additionally, were there any dealer incentives recently which prompted my below invoice purchase? It was a 2000 model Passat V6 4Motion Automatic. I suppose they were motivated to sell the 2000's but just wanted to know if in fact I got a good deal or was just an unaware customer. Picked it up for $24K, which was $1K under invoice price.
    Was this a *One Pay* or did you finance this deal?
    If you financed the car, what was the rate?
    It was a one pay....basically financed it independent from dealer.
    Hard cost on this car...no roof/wheels/leather/monsoon/cw pkg. is $25083.USD
    There was a dealer incentive of $1000 or special
    financing for the customer as low as 3.5% to 6.25%.
    If you got that car at that price, they are ready to go belly up and you should consider yourself
    blessed that you got such a great deal.
    Frankly...I do not believe you.
    good that you do not believe me. Makes me believe I did get a good deal. I do not have the moonroof nor the leather. It was a GLS not a GLX. Perhaps that matters as well. Don't know. Just glad I was able to get it for that then.

Thanks for the confirmation!
    Oneupmanship...no 4Motion without the above built
    to the best of my knowledge...
    your statement. It has the 4motion decal on the back so I assumed that it's there. Please don't tell me that it's not and I just paid for something that I didn't get
    Do you have a FAX? If you do I will send you the
    order guide...This 4MO is at the top of Passat
    line...you have read how hard it is to find a
    leather car without sunroof/alloy wheels...do you
    have any idea how hard it would be to find a V6
    4Motion without these???
    nm
    By the way I have what you want, but better en
    route from Emden right now...
  • sfpassatsfpassat Member Posts: 1
    What do you mean that there is a better one en route. I thought the only option that I didn't have on the one I ordered was 4Motion. Not interested in getting 4Motion. When do you anticipate it's arrival?
    Much rarer Silver/Grey due 10/30 Port of San Diego, VIN: WVWJH63B61E036051...On the ground in
    Monterey mid-November...
    email me for any additional...no more posts here
    nm
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    Do you have much success with the rigid price structure you described? I'm a new ISM here in No. VA, and my experience so far has not pointed to this kind of structured arrangement.

Jason
    This is a subject of great debate, as you can well
    imagine. And I think you have to get together with
    your Dealer Principal, GM, or whoever it is at your store that can assist you in formulating an
    *on-line marketing plan* that you are all comfortable with.
    I follow to the letter what I have written in my
    mission statement. It is my firm belief that if a
    customer has done their *homework* and *research*
    they are totally aware of all the numbers in a
    broad sense (they is a fair amount of misinformation out there), but by and large they
    have a good idea of what a car costs a dealer.
    The prices that I have posted for each car I belive are not only fair, but by and large, really
    aggressive. They reflect Edmund's *TMV* and also
    take into consideration availablity...Silver, Auto
    Trans. (still not abundant), GLX, etc.
    Another component is your market...are you in a
    major metro area or a smaller store in a suburban
    area? If the majority of the Dealers around you
    have ADM and you don't; let people know that, if
    your Service dept. is open on Saturday and most of your competition is not; let people know that.
    But this is the bottom line...I believe that
    if a customer does not find value in your product, or that you are trying to give them a
    truly painless, hassle free experience; it doesn't matter what you do. All you have to do is
    read the posts here to realize that some folks,
    although they may claim otherwise, want to play the game...the ole back & forth in an attempt to
    claim victory over the Dealer. I have sales people to take care of these folks, and sales mgrs. to help them realize their dream of winning...90%-100% of my customers have their
    financing arranged through their own bank or credit union or are paying cash; so there is no
    second guessing about rate, but if VCI is offering a better one, I offer it. I really believe In VW Masterguard Warranties, especially
    if my customer is planning on keeping the car for 5, 6, years or longer, and I will make sure that
    they understand that it is a REAL warranty as opposed to the vapor that some dealers offer.
    You have to keep in mind that 70+% of your customers have been on the net looking up info
    on our cars...you need to know more than they do,
    so make sure you know your Product Source Book
    inside/out.
    I am off to Volkswagen of Mexico tomorrow morning,
    and I'll fill you in on anything new when I get back.

I would be interested in finding out exactly what your experience with online pricing has been, and
    why you feel that structure doesn't work for you.
  • neverretailneverretail Member Posts: 3
    I expect my local dealer in Tennessee to laugh at
    my offer tomorrow based on the collective wisdom I
    garnered from reading LOTS of posts about Passats in Edmunds. But I'll still make it all the
    same and we'll see. I'd be willing to drive a
    state or two away to purchase a GLX with 4M and
    Tiptronic for the kind of reasonable over invoice
    prices mentioned in many of the posts.

I bought (and likely overpaid) for an A6 4.2
    several months ago at this local dealer but fully
    expect him to turn his nose up at the cash deal
    I'll offer tomorrow. Based on what I've read,
    $1000 over invoice should be plenty to get this
    deal done but he's asking for more than $3000 over
    invoice. $30000 plus tax should be more than
    enough to get this car, no??

I know how to walk away - but where to? Anybody
    know a dealer a little hungrier within a few
    hundred miles of east TN??

BTW, I love the Passat. Drives like the worthy
    younger sister to our A6. I feel great about the
    value but would be happier with a longer warranty.

Thanks!

Jim
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    I tried the structured arrangement when I first started, and it seemed like people regarded me more as an information resource than as a buying service. In short, these people would take the no-haggle price, (that oftentimes I had to argue with the GSM to get) and use it to beat up the most convenient dealer for them to go to. I didn't seem to get any kind of loyalty for providing this info. I am in a Metro area, and ADM is very rare, except on Silver cars. Now, I am still giving people the same kind of pricing as much as possible, however, almost no numbers get thrown out before they come in. I would love to find an effective way to use a system like yours. If I could surmount the customer walk-away problem, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Jason

P.S. Neverretail, too bad you're not up here in Northern Virginia. I could do that deal, and probably better if you would take a Green w/Black. Good luck.
  • arefurrahmanarefurrahman Member Posts: 1
    I've been trying to decide between the Acura TL and The 2001 GLS for some time now, and I am going for the Passat. I am looking at a lease, for an Auto GLS with the luxury package and posssibly the Monsoon. What sort of numbers have people in the area been looking at? Any dealers anyone would recommend?
    Thanks,
    Aref
    What is your dealer web address?

PS
  • avesaves Member Posts: 3
    In response to sfpassat..I paid 28,810 for my new GLX (satin silver /black),very close to Edmunds TMV. I searched around to other dealers(parts dept) for a trunk 6CD changer. Since my dealer would not budge on the 425 price .I paid 350 and installed it myself which required 4 very small screws and connecting the pre-CD wire hook-up.
    The vehicle was previously ordered by the dealer and I happened to come in at the right time to make the deal.They would not go lower than the above price since they can't keep aGLXsilver/blk on the lot. Hope this helps you!
  • carsavvycarsavvy Member Posts: 4
    Do you have any idea as to the pricing and anticipated availability of the next generation Passat. I am interested in the GLS 4 cyl with manual trans. and monsoon. How much over invoice do you think I should be looking for?