Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jonb1jonb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Daisy. I test drove the 2.0 in Atlanta and I believe they had a similar lease with $800 down but for $299 a month not including tax. My guess is you can negotiate that $375 a month down a bit. Hope that helps. JBATL
  • jonb1jonb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Just test drove the 2.0 passat and have had an audi A6 for six years. Previously had a honda accord and lexus GS300. I have never had so many issues with a car as the Audi and it only has 60K miles. Front wheel drive has caused both wheels joints, boots and axels to be replaced, trip computer replaced at close to $1,000 cost last year, oil leaks and more... I was told by dealer after about $2,500 in repairs that the German cars often do not do well in Southern parts of US (I live in Atlanta) due to humidity. Also heard the electrical is crap. Never had any problems with my Japanese cars until after 100K. But alas,the drive and feel of the road and safety with the Audi and 06 Passat is superb. But at what cost? Plus I believe Acura TL has 5 star safety ratings for front and side. I have admittedly not driven the Acura but I have a friend who is a salesman and had driven about every car known to man. He leased an Acura TL last year and said its the first car he would ever consider buying and owning beyond 3 years. So I will testdrive the Acura this weekend. If the handling is decent on the Acura, I would go with it. I would be very scared to get a first model year of any German car. If you absolutely have to, lease it for a few years and get rid of it. If you must buy it, get the extended warrantee for as long as you can! Hope its not too late for your decision process. JBATL
  • kirklkirkl Member Posts: 8
    My dealer estimated I'll get the wagon I ordered in March or April, but this is still a guess. I bought it "sight unseen" but I could tell from the numerous photos on the internet that it is a great looking car and I test drove last year's wagon and all models of the new sedan. Another dealer told me that he will get new wagons the last week of February. You can also see one at the auto shows that have started around the country. See post #1279 on the VW Passat 2006+ Forum--that fellow saw them on a transport truck in Michigan. I live in Maryland.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    At www.fitzmall.com you can buy these passats for $300 less than INVOICE! He has many
    Well I am on my seventh year and 2nd Audi A6 lease. The cars are perfect. Not a single electrical problem but on ABS module on my 2003 that I drive now. I live 300 feet from a saltwater bay and 4 miles from the ocean on Long Island NY. I thnk the dealer was BSing you.
    I am looking at the Passat wagon because the Audi Avant is $49K and I am now retired and do not drive as much. VW gives you the same warranty as Audi except not the total care of free brake linings etc.
  • rich4jrich4j Member Posts: 15
    Hi
    My wife and i are looking at potentially buying a passat 3.6 with luxury package 1. The money factors is .1680 and residual is .53 for a 36 month lease.

The sell price is 31,150 they are telling me with a msrp of 33315. They want 2000 down (subtractd 500 as I own a VW already for loyalty) and $460.11 per month. Is this a good deal?
    Maybe a typo on that money factor as it is huge? .00168 maybe?

Also, take a look at prices on Passat at www.fitzmall.com. They show Passat selling near invoice. You may not buy there but can get an idea of what a good price is.
    Have fun
  • amitvisualamitvisual Member Posts: 26
    Thanks! Yes, I saw that post - he saw them in Detroit. We're still waiting to hear, though the dealer says they have arrived "in port", which for California is Long Beach. BTW, our local dealers are advertising 2.0T sedans for $2500 of MSRP - don't know if they'll do the same for the wagons.
  • ria2ria2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi !
    I have never leased a car before.please help.
    I am negotiating for a lease on passat 2.0 t,luxury #2package, with navigation for 24 mths (10 k miles/yr).MSRP-30230incl destination,invoice-27228

PLEASE ;et me know what wud be good lease/mth pricing.thx
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,590
    Hi ria2....

You should post your question here for best response...

Volkswagen Passat: Lease Questions

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• majorsmajors Member Posts: 4
    Well, I guess that I went the whole 9.5 yards. I purchased a 3.6 w/ lux #2 and the nav system. I bought #2 more for the Dynaudio system... it is something else. The "better" headlights on the other hand have been a problem. First one of them burned out at 120 miles - no big deal, the dealer replaced the bulb. Now however, there is an accumulation of moisture inside of the headlight assembly that does not dissipate. I am currently fighting with the dealer and VWoA to replace the entire assembly. So far, no good... they claim that this is normal condensation - yeah right!

My purchase price in PA was $34,615, which also included the trunk liner and heavy duty winter rubber floor mats. This was approx. 6 weeks ago.

It is my first VW and I like the car a lot, just not thrilled that apparently one must fight tooth and nail for what appears to be a defective part replacement. Does VW have a dispute resolution process? :confuse:
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Sorry to hear about your headlights.

Can you please tell me where in PA you bought the car from?
    I am buying mine from VW of Devon, PA this week. My Car is as follows (3.6 L V6, Not 4 Motion):
    1 - Lux. Pack #1
    2 - Dyn. Audio
    3 - Nav.
    4 - Xenons
    5 - Rear Airbags
    6 - Splash Guards
    7 - Dealer profit

Total price came to $34882. I know i could have gotten the Lux pack 2, but i did not like the Rear Backing Sensors on the bumpers, not very attractive. Please let me know your dealer and what city they are in. Thanks.
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Hey Carync,

when u say fully loaded, is that Lux Pack 2 and all extras with mats and stuff? Can u please provide detail. Thanks.
  • allinschenkallinschenk Member Posts: 7
    Looking at leasing a 2006 Passat 2.0t with Package #1 and Cold Weather Package. Dealership gave us the followng numbers...

MSRP $27,440
    LEV% 58%
    TERM 36mo
    MF .00151
    RESIDUAL VALUE $15,915.20
    INITIAL CAP COST $26,700
    ADJUSTED CAP COST $27,130.14
    DOWN PAYMENT $500
    PAYMENT $376.51 for first 18mos
    $408.51 for last 18mos

Not feeling the love here, what do you think??
  • majorsmajors Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the car in Pittsburgh, PA. The dealership is Rohrich VW / Mazda. The new car manager that I dealt with during my purchase, I just found out, is no longer with the company. Not sure how aggressive the new person is or isn't in pursuing a sale. Good Luck!
  • deluxedeluxe Member Posts: 29
    Just purchased a 2006 2.0T in Grand Rapids, MI. Car had a package 2(reflex silver with gray interior). MSRP on vehicle was $28,415.

We got the quote of $26,021(that is including $500 in VW loyalty) plus tax and "doc fee" that I did not press to be removed, because they are geting me a new plate also.

Out of door price was $ 27,770 ans I also got a 4.9%(60 month) financing from VW credit.

Hope this helps.
  • tjspeedvatjspeedva Member Posts: 1
    I can understand the appeal of posting on a website to brag about your good fortune, however, a post like this is simply detrimental to the other readers. You DID NOT get out with a Passat base model or Value edition for $24,100 unless the car was a demo. You may have made it out at $25,100 if you had the owner loyalty to bring the OTD price down. Please, we all appreciate the help but, lets keep the info in the realm of fact.
  • logansrunlogansrun Member Posts: 1
    I am confused. I gathered as much information as I could and worked out all the figures. The information I used was gathered here and other various websites.

I knew I was gonna take an equity hit on my vehicle. When I negotiated my lease with my local VW dealer he showed me his special lease deal. Think it was a 24000$$ car MF .00078 and residual value 58% on a 10,000 mile 39 month lease. worked out to be 299.9 a month less tax. I didn't want the base model, so I used the same figures on what I wanted in the vehicle. Now having said that everything up until this point was back and forth with their finance department(which I absolutely despise). They ended up low balling me on my trade in and I was looking at a potential 4000 equity hit. Which according to my calculation put me at 30000 cap cost. HERE is my problem. The finance guy said the Cap cost is 31400 because of tax and fees? I have been reading many posts from people and no one has included this tax fee in their cap cost? IS this something they do only when you have to pay equity off or is this a hidden fee that all lease deals end up having to pay. My understanding you only pay tax on the monthly payments not the vehicle for a lease?

I stormed out of the dealer because A) I was upset at the trade in value and B) I thought he was playing games with the cap cost. I want to be informed if I try to work out another lease with another dealership and they try the same thing. Seems like all the dealers have "canned" responses when you bring up internet prices and quotes.
    I loved this one "to bad Edmunds can't write you the check"
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,590
    The tax calculation on a lease varies, depending on what state you reside in.. But, in most states... there will be tax....

Some states charge the tax upfront... usually on the total payments of the lease.. or the depreciation portion.. some charge tax on the entire car (IL and TX). Other states collect sales tax on the monthly payment, each month.

If your state collects the entire tax bill upfront, then usually, the dealer will add that to the cap cost, so the payments are spread out over the lease... The only alternative is for you to pay the tax upfront.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well in Ny I know if you lease Audi which is VW financeing, if you don't pay the tax outside the lease, the tax on the depreciation part and maybe the interest is added to the cap cost by which results in it being in the payments. I think all dealers do this.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    I just ordered a brand new wagon from a dealer in california. $750 above invoice. The manager couldn't calculate an accurate lease price on the car I ordered because he said the numbers will change between now and the time the car arrives at the dealer. So with that in mind he crunched some numbers based on an in stock sedan lease with a wagon price tag. See how this sounds:

36 months/15,000 mile per year

MSRP: $ 41,530.00
    Cap.Cost: $ 39,233.00
    Cap Reduction: $ 8,584.54
    Tax on Credit: $ 668.79
    Bank Fee: $ 575.00
    Total Cap: $ 39,808.00
    Net Cap: $ 31,223.46
    Residual: $ 22,426.20
    Total Depreciation: $ 8,797
    Money Factor: .00200
    Down Payment: $10,000.00
    C/D: 0.35
    My credit score is 740.
    Monthly payment: $378.92

What do you think of these numbers? Should my monthly payment be less?
  • countdbccountdbc Member Posts: 14
    I don't know you "tjspeedva" come from a dealer or not. Ok, in order not to mislead the other potential customers of VW(I like VW so much personally), as you want, I will take back what I talked on the website and hope all you guys enjoy your buying experience. Trust me, Passat of VW definitely is a good choice for you.

PS: my 2.0T is not a demo and I am enjoying driving it.
  • mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    Can't comment on the numbers but why would you put $8500 down on a lease, especially when they are offering you 4.8% money? All you are doing is paying payments in advance when you are being offered cheap cash, and if you total the car, your $8500 is gone.

At a minimum if you do this deal you should consider putting $0 down and holding your $8500 in a MMA and use it to supplement your payments as you go.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    $8500 down on a lease is not a good idea. If anything, get a higher monthly payment and supplement the monthly cost with the $8500 you have in the bank. Like jones said, if your new Passat gets totalled the $ you put down is gone.
  • rayleiwurayleiwu Member Posts: 18
    Actually countdbc might not be misleading. I got almost the same deal as his which at near invoice, but I purchased the car at the end of the year that might helped a little. I love this ride everyday! It's certainly worth of more than what I paid. I'm also glad to see that Passat 06 has been rated as top 3 on Consumer Report and beat Toys and Hods(06 accord hybird excluded) out! Check out incentives VW currently offers: 4.9% for 60 months financing is only applied to Passat now vs 3.9% on Jetta and other VWs.

So if you are really in it, any price between invoice and MSRP are reasonable, it's a bargain ;) .
  • bonedriverbonedriver Member Posts: 3
    This response is to this specific lease and leasing VW in general. First off, I agree with the other two postings, putting a down payment against a lease is throwing money away. Additionally, with that much down, your lease payment is still ridiculous. If you run the numbers, especially with money to put down, a purchase is significantly in your interest. Leases are only beneficial when you have to tie up minimal financial capital into the lease (i.e NO downpayment). Second, money factors are all fine to discuss, but the most important figure in the deal is the residual percentage applied to the value of the car. A similarly equipped and priced Audi A-4 carries a residual of 70% of the car vs. the 58% you got for example. Even 58% is way better than the 53% I got quoted in TX... A good rule of thumb, Lease LUXURY cars or cars for business. Luxury car labels carry alot of weight in perceived value down the road. Businesses can use a lease as a write off while preserving cash for other operating expenses. I have an A4 lease ending this month and buying a Passat next.
    As someone who has leased two Audi A6s, I agree with your lease comments especially regarding residual. But does the Passat have a high residual? I am skeptical. I have been thinking of buying the Passat Wagon.
  • sdoo25sdoo25 Member Posts: 25
    I wanted to get some input on the following Passat:

Passat 3.6L
    Package #1 Luxury
    DVD Satellite Navigation
    MSRP = $35,130
    Invoice = 32,245

From my research I come with a range from $32,700 - $33,400 as a fair price. I've been to the Fitzgerald Auto Mall site and most of their 3.6L's are listed at or below invoice, as I'm in Tampa, FL this doesn't directly help me. I wanted to know what anybody has paid for this vehicle, especially in the Tampa/Orlando area, and what anybody has paid for any Passat in the Tampa/Orlando area.

I've been reading the forums for a while and have gotten many good tips and advice. Thanks for everyone's input.

Tom
  • doctorwdoctorw Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I've been negotiating with several dealers in the Boston area and have two offers I am considering right now. The first is for a 3.6L sedan with 4motion sport package 1 and navigation for $34,400. The second is for a 3.6L sedan with 4motion luxury package 1 and navigation for $33,900. Are these good deals? Also, over the test drive I could not sense a big difference in the suspension between the sport and luxury models, could just be the roads, is the sport much harsher? Second, most passats I see have the luxury package, implying that there are more buyers for this package, will the sport affect trade-in value?
  • marshallcpamarshallcpa Member Posts: 22
    2.0T Arctic Blue Silver/Black Interior w/ Package #2

MSRP 28415
    Selling Price 26050 including 99 processing fee. Also using standard VW money factors in the lease.

King VW, Gaithersburg, MD, 20 miles north of DC. Dealer had no problem with me publishing the numbers, so I expect they'd do it again. This is an Internet deal - contact the Internet manager. Has been extremely pleasant experience so far; picking up car on Friday.

Full details at Post #151 on the Leasing Board.

Hope this is helpful.

Brian
  • cstabilecstabile Member Posts: 29
    For those interested, here are the details of the deal I wrapped up yesterday in Alexandria, VA. Pick it up Sat morning..can't wait.

3.6L liter
    4-motion
    Sport package #2
    Navigation
    Rear air bags
    Rubber Mats w/Trunk Liner &
    Splash Guards
    MSRP w/ destination of $40,509.
    Invoice per Edmunds of $37,243
    Price paid was:
    Car - $36,500 plus
    Processing fee - $229 plus
    Tags - $52 plus
    Tax - $1,175 (3.2% in VA).
    Price is net of $500 VW loyalty cash.
  • bonedriverbonedriver Member Posts: 3
    The Passat dealers are applying a residual percentage about 15% below what Audi is applying to a similarly equipped A-4 vs. a 3.6 Passat with Lux#2, Nav, etc...
    Audi and BMW both lease with residual at or above 70% which is pretty accurate since dealer trade value is within +/- $200 of my residual. So it looks like I'll trade the leased A-4 instead of turning it in. Mostly for tax advantages on the Passat purchaseand return of the secuirty deposit. and don;t get me started on the lease turn-in inspection contractor.....Terrible.
  • dayindenverdayindenver Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I would like to purchase a Passat, but am waiting for the rebates. About when during the year do they normally come? I noticed in this forum that some got rebates in April, Jun and November. Anything closer, like say... March? :)

thanks for the help
    I'd be surprised if you see any rebates within the next year or so. The car is too new for VW to start with rebates. You will most likely continue to see lease deals and low interest rates.
  • zmnbyuzmnbyu Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

First time leasee and looking for help. Was trying to decide between the G35 and Passat and picked the passat. Here is what is being offered:

06 Passat 2.0t w/package 2(xm), Read air bags, 17 inch wheels, and splash guards. MSRP of $29,340.

Cost = $27500
    MF = .00057
    Res = 54%
    Taxes = 5.5%
    Payment = $370

Thoughts???
    Forgot the months = 36.
    06 Passat 2.0t. Deep Black w/Beige interior. Pk2, Dynaudio, 17 in wheels, rear air bags, splash guards.

MSRP = $30,340
    Paid = $27200
    Acquistion = $575
    Temp Plate = $10

Total paid = 27785
    Residual = 54%
    mf = .00057
    payment = $384.06 with taxes. Taxes are about $25/month.

What do y'all think? Car is being brought in and I pick up tomorrow or Friday.
  • paroraparora Member Posts: 2
    All,
    I recently bought a 2005 Passat GLS 1.8T, 24K miles from Atlanta Auctions. I has leather seats, gray colored with monsoon CD/cassette audio and sunroof. I got it at 18K (without sales tax). What do folks here think ?
    Is it a good deal ?

Thanks
    ~Parvinder
  • elchurroelchurro Member Posts: 4
    I received an "internet price" of $26,800 for a 2.0T Passat (package 2, with Sirius and 17 in. wheels).

Comments?
  • zgr81zgr81 Member Posts: 12
    How are these #s
    Passat 2006 Value Edition Automatic
    MSRP $24655
    36 months lease
    36000 miles
    $307/month
    $850(first month + Fees)
    All tax included
    Thanks
    Sounds a tad high to me......but I could be wrong.
  • paroraparora Member Posts: 2
    I searched on the net and i found prices to be in the range of 20,000's. So if i thought may be 18,000$ is a okay price in that respect
  • memo1memo1 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a 2005 Passat TDI with leather/wood, ESP, cold weather and 17" alloys and 32500 miles. Have dealer at 21,700. Is this a reasonable deal? Thanks!
  • beal06beal06 Member Posts: 5
    Dialed in 2.0T passat with options, two dealerships(internet dept) came back with:

$500 off Invoice on vehicle
    options exactly at invoice
    + Delivery(100-150) in state

BTW: Does anyone know when they will release the 07 Passat? They tell me the company announces it in July, and dleivery occurs in Sept/Oct. Maybe worth the wait at this stage of the game. Any comments?
  • yalehanyalehan Member Posts: 4
    Passat 2006 Value Edition Automatic
    MSRP $24655
    36 months lease
    30000 miles
    $200/month
    $0(first month + Fees)
    All tax included
  • eric2006eric2006 Member Posts: 8
    it is very good deal, which dealer did you get this from?
    This must be a typo, there is no way a dealer made the deal for $0 down for $200/month tax included, 36 months. A simple lease calculation assuming around invoice sales price yields about $290/month for $0 down, 36 months, 10k miles per year.

This deal would be a total loser for the dealer. VW advertised deal is $269/month for same lease with $2k down, 12k miles per year, your variance would mean the dealer took a several thousand dollar loss on the car.

Make sure they didn't give you a Jetta or a very used Passat...
  • car2mecar2me Member Posts: 3
    For 2006 passat 2.0 package2, automatic, Rear Side Airbags my price estimate is:

CarsDirect price $26,876 - $1000 = $25876

maybe less - bluetooth not there, no ipod adapter etc... ;)
  • yalehanyalehan Member Posts: 4
    I have a $3,500 trade in
    So I don't pay the tax
    You only would not pay tax on the portion of the car cost offset by your trade in on a purchase, on a lease, your trade in becomes cap cost reduction (down payment) and you pay tax on the portion of the car you use (lease rent).

Anyway, you posted your deal, did not disclose all terms of the deal, so your information is of questionable value to those looking for experiences that might inform their own.

Even with a $3,500 trade in towards cap cost reduction, I find the $200/month for 36 months 10k/year on the 2006 Passat at $24k +, no tax charged, very suspicious, this deal sounds fishy and unlikely to me...