Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• texoma1texoma1 Member Posts: 2
    This offer on leftover 06 Passats looks better than the $2500 incentive in September. $ 4000 off List price. Maybe I should take a look and see the Passats ....NOW. Price sounds interesting.... y'all agree? :)
  • montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    I've had a hard time getting results searching through posts. I found the car I want: http://www.zimbrick.com/autofinder/dsp_viewcar_new.cfm?vin=WVWLK73C27E004389 and so I want to make a good offer. I read one post for $22,500. That seems low. Thoughts?
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Hi guys, first post here. Iam interested in buying an 06 Passat left over. I have a dealer in Wexford, PA that has 2 left overs discounted about 4,000 each. Problem is my Accord lease is up in May. I got a 10 day buy-out price of $13,400 for my Accord and on KBB its worth more than that. Of course the dealer said KBB is not buying my car, they are.
    They wouldnt give me a fair pay-off for my 04 Accord. They said $12,500. Iam not applying about $1,000 of 'negative' equity to the new car.
    Anyone have any ideas how to get my trade in paid off w/o adding the negative equity to the new Passat?
  • lgreenelgreene Member Posts: 5
    I'm sure I'll be joining a choir of responses singing the same song but your best bet is to sell the Honda privately , close out your remaining amount of the lease and dive into the 06 passat. Have you considered simpy finishing the lease and getting a good lease deal on an 07 ?
  • usatravelusatravel Member Posts: 4
    Hi, guys, I got a quotation $22900 for 06 passat 2.0T+ package 1. Is it a good deal? If I want 5 years 0 APR, it will be $25400.
  • sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    that seems awful high, but is that including taxes/tages/etc

you can easily get a 07 passat for 750 under invoice already, as I was able to with little problem. provide more information and i will be able to try and help
  • usatravelusatravel Member Posts: 4
    Thank uou sammya_md. 22900 is for car only. The car is 06 passat 2.0T AT+ package 1, and has 280 miles. List price is $27509. I am in Texas.
  • keyur75keyur75 Member Posts: 14
    What is the name of the dealership ?
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Yes, thats probably what Iam gonna have to do, sell it or just wait another 6 months. I just thought with the end of the year dealings and the fact that my Accord only has 31K on the odo. it would be a wash, no negative equity. Ive been in and out of leases and loans early for the past uh tooo many years. Iam finally close enough to be no negative and am getting anxious. I gguess I have to wait :mad:
    so with a list price of that, i'm going to guess invoice is around 25000 or so, so they are giving you 2k off of invoice. Given that this is a 2006, and already has 280 miles, I would say you should go for a new 2007 with basically 10-20 miles...and you would probably end up paying a net difference of 1000 more, which to me is worth it. You don't have those 280 miles that the car could have been abused etc. That is unless you can negotiate them down from that 22900 on the 2006 model. if you need some more help, let me know.
  • cecilexumcecilexum Member Posts: 3
    Any thoughts on a fair price for 2.0T automatic with Lux pkg 2 would be? MSRP = $30,065 and Invoice = 27,762 (both with delivery included). The local (i.e., Charlotte) dealers have sizeable inventories so I would assume a price below sticker, so the question is how much below. Barring rebates, etc. that I am unaware of, would a $28,500 price be doable? Interested in hearing what other folks are paying / being quoted. Thanks in advance.
  • motorin75motorin75 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Forum -

I receive invoice pricing on VWs through my work. I'd like to lease a 2007 Passat 2.0T w/ option1. Dealer tells me invoice is 25K and change.

Quoted me $380 per month. Zero down. I pay all fees and taxes (a lot in Chicago!).

Now, we have the dreaded 'use tax' in Chicago which is 6.5% so I was advised some type of balloon lease to avoid this.

OK--but dealer tells me VW financing is 6.19% (?!)

Based on other postings $380 per month on this vehicle for a strong partner of VW/Audi seems way too high.

Thoughts? Should I go for a 2006? I don't care much about model year.

Thanks in advance -- lots of super data points on this forum.
    Hi,

I doubt interest rates have changed from VW financing. I bought a passat 2.0t base model (no packages..etc) and got 2.9 financing..not a special deal or anything, just what they had at the time. Also you can get the car for under invoice, don't let them convince you invoice is their bottom line. I got mine for around 750 under invoice so I would think since the car you are looking at is about 2k more to look to get 1100-1200 below invoice for a good deal. A dealer wouldn't make a deal where they are losing money, just logic.

Not sure aobut leasing, someone else would be better about that, but the lower the base price, the lower the lease payments obviously.

Feel free to ask more questions
    I'm not sure if the 28,500 is an out the door price or what, but you should be able to get this car before TTL for around 26200-26500 I would think, basically extrapolating from the figures I paid for a base 2007 passat. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but look to at least get $1000 below invoice, since on a base model MSRP 23k(around), I was able to get more that 750 below invoice for a price.

Let me know if you have any other questions
  • kilgore_troutkilgore_trout Member Posts: 2
    I got a promotion at work last spring and started shopping for a 3.6L Passat in early June since it was on the list of acceptable cars that the company would pay for. Before I got approval to buy the car, the company was taken over and all company car perqs were frozen (probably forever). Today, out of the blue, I got a call from the dealer I had been negotiating with saying he had the exact car I had been looking to buy. It's a new 2006 leftover 3.6L gray with gray leather interior, with sport package #1, trunk and floor mats and a Sirius Radio. The sticker price is $33,815. He said if I buy it before Christmas he'll give it to me for $25,560. I am not in the market for a new car right now but does this seem like it's too good to pass up or is it pretty much a deal I can find anywhere that still has left overs? I'd like to hear thoughts from anyone that would like to add their 2 cents (just realized there is no longer a "cents" symbol on the keyboard). I plan on driving the car tomorrow but I'm really not sure I want to buy at this time.
  • mdbpetry1mdbpetry1 Member Posts: 14
    I drove the 2007 3.6 Wagon Sport w/18" wheels. The dealer let me take it for a weekend test drive. I thought it was a great car. Plenty of power, comfortable and safe. The adjustable headlights are very cool. My wife and I currently own two Passats and we think they are great cars. We have not pulled the trigger, however, since we do not want to take on a car payment at this time. When we are ready I believe we will probably buy the car.

Price wise it looks like a very good deal for you. Are there any miles on the car? It almost sounds too good to be true.
  • hstuhstu Member Posts: 3
    Lot's of talk of you guys getting below invoice for sedans, dealer quoted $500 over invoice for wagon w/#2. Down side for me is I like the color and there is not another one within 200+ miles in color combo. Anyone think I should be able to buy under invoice? I like the sound of at least $750 below.....I might should just hang up the color issue...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I think that is a deal that just about any dealer will make on a leftover '06..

I notice that all of the local VW dealers have ads with big discounts on '06s..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ynn18ynn18 Member Posts: 6
    After several days testing drives and negotiation with dealer, I finalized the price of a 2006 2.0T passat with luxury packge #2 and dynaudio for 24000 and it was 4100 below the invoice. The car has 500 miles on it. But I need to find the financing other than VW. Is it a worth deal?

the point is when I was ready to sign the paperwork, the dealer tell me the horn did not work so I could not get the car today. They told me they could fix it next Monday and it was not a big problem. But I was so upset and frustrated and So I quited the deal and left. :mad:

How should I further negotiate with the dealer? more discount on the car or just another car (hard to find the car with same options). The horn failure puts some shadow in me about the car's quality. maybe I should try other brand.

What do you think? Any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks!
  • kilgore_troutkilgore_trout Member Posts: 2
    I drove the car today and was impressed with the power and overall quality. It has 69 miles on it, 7 of which are mine. My only concerns about this car are whether the rear seat legroom is adequate for a 14 year old that's 5'-8" and still growing and whether the reliability of the electronics has improved over the 2005 models. If it weren't the worst time of year to be buying a car I would probably have taken the deal today. As things stand I told the dealer I'd let him know Monday. The salesman claims the $25,560 price is non-negotiable and according to him it is below dealer cost. VW is making up the difference to move them off the lot but the offer ends on December 31. Anyone think I can do any better price-wise than that? There were four similar 2006 3.6L Passats still on the lot this morning but one of them sold today while I was talking with the salesman. I'm fairly certain a Passat will be my next car and I doubt the price will ever be better but the timing really stinks! :confuse:
    The horn problem is likely just a fuse..

You might be feeling some sort of buyer's remorse and the horn thing was just a reason to step back from the deal.

If that is the car you want, just go back and get it.. If you had already agreed on a deal, I don't think the dealer will feel any need to lower the price for a horn that can easily be fixed.

Just the view from here...

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ynn18ynn18 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply and I really appreciate it.
    Well, I dont think it is a easy problem to fix. The dealer told me they needed to updated the computer in the car, which sounds a bigger problem.

I like the car. But just worried the potential problems down the road.
  • proeasy1proeasy1 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at 06 3.6l 4Motion MSRP is $37,780, Dealer is offering invoice of $35,266 less $3500, or $31766 plus tax and fees. Are dealers going much below invoice?

May move in the next few days, any feedback is appreciated.
    I think you should be looking somewhere at least $1000 less than that...

My local dealer was advertising $7K off MSRP on their leftover '06 3.6 models...

The last week of the year? I might shoot for $30K even.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jingjingjingjing Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we got a quote for 20098 with 100 miles on the car. Is it a good deal? We are in NJ
  • brutus6brutus6 Member Posts: 3
    what is a good deal for 36 mo., 15,000 mi./year? on a lease? is the driver option worthwhile (other than avoiding sales tax that Chicago kills you with)??
  • bostondude001bostondude001 Member Posts: 20
    What is a good price for 3.6L With Option #1 + Rear Side Air Bags?

Is there a hesitation on the 3.6L's? Do I need to get the "Update / Patch fix for the hesitation problems on the 3.6? The one I am looking at arrived at the dealer's lot in the last week of October?

Anything that i need to check before I 1)buy 2)Take Delivery?

Thanks for your Help. Thanks
  • chaperoahchaperoah Member Posts: 30
    Anyone get any competitive quotes for the 07 3.6L with Luxury package?? Particularly in southern california??
  • proeasy1proeasy1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advise. Was working with one dealer in Western Suburbs of detroit, he was going $1000 below invoice plus the $3500 rebate on a 06 4Mothion Pkg II and floor mats, howerver he would not come up to the blue book number on my trade I got off the VW web site. (about $1500 apart)

Found and Identical car on North Side of Detoit, two phone calls and 30 minutes later, had a verbal deal, was offering $1250 more than dealer 1, sight unseen for my trade. Drove out there and 30 minutes later was driving home, best purchase experience ever (30 years)

Dealer 1 tried to sweat me by calling on the 30th to let me know programs were expiring,,let him know I picked up my new Passat.

Thank you Edmunds forum for the input to target $1000 below invoice

Cheers

PRO
    Congratulations on the new car!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bostondude001bostondude001 Member Posts: 20
    I got 2006 Passat 3.6L with Luxury Pkg #1 + Rear Airbag + Rubber Mats + Trunk Liner for $26300 + TTL. (MSRP was $33615 ). Was that a good deal? I went for Invoice - $5000 dealer cash.
  • liv4happyliv4happy Member Posts: 1
    was this price includes package 1? If so, its a killer deal. I just purchased 2006 Passat 2.0T w/ package 1, rubber floor mats, trunk liner, and flash guards for $21860+TTL.
  • ajm110ajm110 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am brand new to the world of car buying and would appreciate any advice and help.

After looking at dizzying number of cars, I discovered the VW Passat. The dealer had a 2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 4dr Sedan 2.0T Auto with Package 1. The sticker price is 27K+.

He offered it to me for purchase for about 21K. I thought it was a great deal and signed the paper. However, the next day he calls me to tell me that he made a mistake and that he based my price on the sticker price of a Jetta, not a Passat. He's asking for 2 thousand more for a total of $23K.

I don't know whether he did this on purpose or what but would very much like to know what's a fair value for this car. Is the 27K sticker price an actual 27K value, or is it less because the car is an '06.

Also, is there any other car out there that has the stylish appearance and interior of the Passat, is as safe, and costs less than 25K?

Thank you for any help! AJ
  • keyur75keyur75 Member Posts: 14
    Does 23K include tax and title ? Is it OTD price ? and which state are you located ?
  • extremeaudiextremeaudi Member Posts: 13
    Hi all! I am getting back in the market for a new vehicle & have been eyeing the new Passat. I missed out @ the great financing deals on the '06 - as not a single dealer in my 200 mile radius has one on the lot. So, I am forced to have a go @ the '07. Was wondering how these cars lease out.
    From reading some posts, there seems to be some great lease deals out there. I recently went to one of my local dealers, looked at a few & tested a 2.0T that was very well equipped (Pack 2 Sport, DVD Navi w/glove box mounted six disc changer & Dynaudio). I was very impressed w/the car! It stickered out approx $34k. Dealer says they can sell for approx $31k. I asked for the residual value & was told it is 53% (39 mo lease term / 15k miles). I am not sure if that is good, bad or average. Salesman did not know the current money factor. I have seen some great money factors in some posts & hope that VW Credit still offers a good factor.
    Are there any additional incentives/rebates available to lower the selling price (sp)/cap cost? I would like to make a down payment of $0.00 as I do not see the sense of placing a downpayment on something that I am more than likely going to turn in the end of the lease. Odds are that I would never recoup that money.
    So my questions are...
    1. Is the 53% residual value for a lease of 39 mos - 15k/yr good, bad or average? Can that % be negotiated higher?
    2. What is the current money factor through VW Credit?
    3. Is the sp/cap cost for the Passat (equipped as listed above) good, bad or average? I think I know the answer to that one - I feel that it can be a lot better!
    4. Are there any additional incentives/rebates available that will help reduce the sp/cap cost?
    5. After all is said & done, where should I expect the monthly payment to fall for a Passat equipped like this one?
    Thanks in advance for the info & guidance. I appreciate it!
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    you said you signed the deal, what else was there to discuss? and by signing, didn't you pay and take the car home??
    for 31k, i have seen 07 V6 with that price here in northern CA.
  • ajm110ajm110 Member Posts: 2
    The latest number is actually $23,500. I'm in New York - the figure excludes title and taxes.

I didn't drive the car home because I wanted to pay 2K cash upfront and I didn't have it. I didn't walk into the dealer with the idea of buying that day. He also said he needed to "prep" it, whatever that means.

I went to talk to the sales guy in charge at the dealer today and he said that on $23,500 he's actually not making a cent of a profit.

The other thing is, I'd like to get some information from other dealers on what they're willing to sell any existing 06 Passat 2.0L but none want to give prices over the phone. They all want to get me there so they can dazzle me with their sales pitch.

Buying a car is like going back to the 70's or something. Why can't we buy them on the internet?
    Wow! I am in NC & the V6 models are running closer to $40k - depending upon how they equipped. The ones that I have seen have just about every option that is available. So, does that mean that my dealer here has these cars marked up quite a bit or is this a regional pricing thing? I have not seen anyone else weigh in so I cannot gauge this yet. I appreciate that input alman08.
    Since my earlier post, I have driven another 2.0T Passat. It was essentially the same car as the black one but did not have the Dynaudio. The most recent Passat was originally a demo vehicle (one of the managers drove it)& put approximately 3200 miles on it. This car had a sticker price of $33,075 & the dealer tells me that the invoice price is $30,599 & the selling price is $30,299. To me, that does not seem like much of a discount, especially since the car has been driven more than 3k miles!
    I am looking to move ahead on one of these cars (see my earlier post - '07 Passat ?'s - for reference) & would like to get some feedback as this is my first time dealing with VW & I am a bit unsure of their pricing.
    Thanks!
  • axjimaxjim Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from Boston dealer for 07 passat 2.0t auto pkg 1. It is $22,500 + ttl. Did some one buy a 07 passat at a price around it :confuse: ?
  • rodolanrodolan Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 06 Passat pkg 2 17 in. wheels and dynaudio back in august for 25,300 plus TTL. p.s. hold out for the dynaudio if you enjoy music you won't regret it... Rodney
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Wow, $33K for 4-cylinder VW Passat?! Man, I didn't know those things were that pricey.
    Either did I! :)
    $40k? wow, and I meant WOW! Personally, I didn't look at the spec on the window but from looking at the inside of the car that I saw with the red tag (saw it before xmas when I was at the dealer for an oil change), it had wood interior and I assumed that it couldn't have been a base model. Speaking of dealer markups... I have seen local Ford dealers marking up the Mustang GTs by as much as $10k...lol, and I'm sure most wouldn't pay the sticker price. From what I have read here, a lot of people would go find out what the invoice price is and go from there to negotiate.
    Oh, not sure if this will help, but there are at least 4 VW dealers in around my area. I guess they have to price their cars a tad more competitively.
  • szubiilyszubiily Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have asked quotes from several dealers in boston area. The lowest quote I got for a 07 Passat wagon 2.0T with pkg #1, heated seats and floor mat guards is $26250 + TTL, the OTD price is around $27800. Is it a good deal for 07 Passat Wagon? How much lower if I ask for a 06 Passat wagon?

axjim got a $22,500 + TTL for a 07 Passat (not wagon) with pkg #1, which seems a pretty good price. axjim, would you mind PM me where you qouted the price?

Billy
  • stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    I've seen on Edmunds that the 07 2.0T Wagons have recently received some changes in their option packages: notably the addition of the packages @ luxury and sport with gazillions of nice options. I ordered one at the dealer and they can not seem to find one anywhere in the country with a color that is not butt-ugly! And I am told that if they go to VW, it is considered some kind of special order so that it'll take months to show up. Looks to me like the use of the 2007 year for the earlier wagons made in 06 is allowing the dealers to hold onto those old cars and sell them as new despite them being a year old, so that the new 07s do not get ordered. Anyone has any comments or heard anything about it?
  • gsilva27gsilva27 Member Posts: 3
    You can order a Passat as long as the dealership has allocated spots for them... Every dealer can only have so many vehicles in inventory and order so many... They take on average about 90 days to have you car built and the dealership can not legally charge you over MSRP. It the best way if there are no vehicles out there and you dont want any other colors. I work for an Internet Dept, that salesman was just probably trying to get you on something in stock and or trying to make you change your color
  • gsilva27gsilva27 Member Posts: 3
    Its funny you say that.... I'm in the Internet Dept. I have only been here for 4 months and there has only been 1 person who has bought a vehicle only on the "internet" due to him having a previous year of that vehicle. Who had never driven the vehicle and or seen it up close in person. It requires you to come in the dealership and drive the car. I try not to pressure my customers to come into the dealership.

Its funny though how many people I talk to everyday, or should I say not talk to due to them not answering there emails and or phones....

Everyone that comes to edmunds.com has the power to make there own prices... Everyone wants to get you in the door to get you in a car... One that they have on the lot and one that you like. They dont want to talk price over the phone due to theirs alot more power in the dealership and there manager can see your an actual buyer... When your on the internet the easiest way to buy a car is give a legitimate offer... I could not tell you how many people come in here and say I want to pay invoice on a New GTI and or a decently equipped Passat.

They implemented a system such as the TMV price to where you establish a good price. Are you not happy with the True Market Value Price? I know everyone is looking for a deal right? But why a steal?

I'm sure I'm not totally correct, I'm just venting right now sorry guys....
  • asefasef Member Posts: 12
    FWIW, I paid $27,839.00+TTL (plus a $500 loyalty rebate) for the 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T with Package #2, and 17" alloy wheels and floor mats, back in February 06. This was after shopping around on the Internet. Southern California.