Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ssteigssssteigss Member Posts: 40
    Tha price included a $1,500 rebate from VW($750 if you use VW special financing rates) and $1,000 owner loyalty (I owned an 03' Jetta). Still they were at least $500-$600 lower than anywhere else I got a qoute from.
    Quirk Started at $23,100. I told them I had 2 qoutes a little lower than that already and they immediately went down to $22,500.They are one of the biggest volume dealers for VW in the country so they supposedly get some additional incentives other dealers dont get(at least thats what they told me).
    Do yourself a favor and start your inquiry through the internet with Quirk. I dealt with Jenn Bishop who is their Finance manager and also handles a lot of their internet inquires. If you go to the showroom you will still work with a salesman. Request Michael(African American, doesnt work Fridays) Nice guy and very knowledgable on vehicle.
    They qouted me about $500 below blue book(good cond.) on my trade. I got them up another $300 pretty easily....and it was around the same price 2 other dealers had given me.
    Hope this helps!
  • robert47robert47 Member Posts: 13
    I do live in Dallas, TX. I am thinking to buy a passat 2.0T with package 0. One dealer is pricing it for $23300. Is this a good deal? I would like to hear from someone who ha a buying experience in Dallas, TX.

Thanks.
  • kiefaber455kiefaber455 Member Posts: 16
    Dealers in Western NY are taking a flat $5,000 off any Passsat sedan or wagon--Wolfsburg edition excluded.
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Was that a cash price? I just paid 25K for a Wolf w/ 0% finance. No previous VW.
  • ssteigssssteigss Member Posts: 40
    I financed and had a choice of 6% for 60 months or 72 months for 7%. Or I could have paid $750 more and taken the VW special finance rates. Made the decision to take the cash. Better if I decide to sell it before the loan is up, I can refinance the loan if rates go down or pay it off early. 2 other dealers offered me $23,100 for the Wolfsburg before even talking about payment.(I assume it included the $1,500 cash as supposed to the $750 with special financing).
  • luv_carsluv_cars Member Posts: 5
    Robert47, is the MSRP 23,820 or 24820? Either way, $23300 is too high. I got a quote of 21,600 on a 24820 sticker car, which I thought was only a fair deal. I kept searching and ended up with $18,900 for a 23,820 sticker car. So you should be able to get close to $5000 off.
  • acctswacctsw Member Posts: 3
    Got a 2.0t. Package 1 + added window tint. Sticker 27670 without the tint. Paid 23000 with 1000 owner loyalty on cash deal.
  • cidxiecidxie Member Posts: 7
    Anybody knows differences between the 2007 passat basic 2.0T and Value Edition(also called 2.0L)? There is $1000 price gap between these two trims, but I can not see any differences......Thanks alot. :confuse:
  • cidxiecidxie Member Posts: 7
    Just paid the deposit for 2007 passat value edition.
    $21150+TTL, Sticker $24895
  • gowutangowutan Member Posts: 1
    I got a price quote of 2008 3.6L Passat Wagon, 4Motion, with VR6 package, plus rear side air bag and iPod adaptor of $38,100. MSRP is $40,329, and invoice is $37,680. Is this a good deal?
  • aviatrix1aviatrix1 Member Posts: 3
    I got the following quote on a Quote on a 2008 Passat Wagon Lux with Navigation and Floor Mats

MSRP: $33,815

Offered to me for $31,799

Anyone else buy this version and if so, what did you pay? According to Edmunds invoice is 31,493. This was the price for lease deal however I know you can negotiate price or what they call "Cap Cost" in a lease the same way you can when you're buying.
  • wayne99wayne99 Member Posts: 1
    First-time car buyer living in Toronto looking for any pricing information on a 2008 Passat Wagon 2.0T automatic transmission. MSRP including freight is north of $37,210. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also any general pricing information relating to effects of Canadian dollar appreciating. Thanks.
  • byerbyer Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks: I have two young kids that I now load into a '93 Honda Accord that, of course, has no modern safety features. We all test-drove an '07 Passat Wagon priced at $21,995. It's a 2.0L 4-cylinder machine with the following features:

Air Conditioning, Driver Side Air Bag, Passenger Side Air Bag, Anti-Lock Brakes, Am/Fm Radio, Alloy Wheels, Bucket Seats, Compact Disc Player, Cruise Control, Heated Mirrors, Heated Seats, Keyless Entry, Leather Interior, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Windows, Side Impact Air Bags, Sunroof, Tilt Steering Wheel

It's also Volkswagen-certified.

I'm not much of a car person, and so I'm just looking for very general advice about this purchase from the knowledgeable people on this forum. Things I'm concerned about: The Honda was pretty low-maintenance--what can I expect from the Passat? Is $21,995 a fair price? How should I haggle with the dealer? Are vinyl seats suitably resistant to the depredations--i.e., vomit, juices, etc.--of children, or should I hold out for leather?

Any feedback is welcome! Thanks.
  • johndoe1980johndoe1980 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP 26990 + fees = $27980.
    Dealer offering $23980. The car has around 2500 miles on it. It was likely used as the test-drive model by the dealership

Is this a good deal for technically a one year old car, since they 2008 Passats are out already ??

This is in the Denver-Boulder area.
  • kimkaytkimkayt Member Posts: 15
    I'm a first-time shopper of the Passat - Level 1 options, and they're talking about $30K here, and that's an '07 model... can anyone tell me if that's too much? I LOVE this car, it rocks - almost signed the papers for an Altima and I'm so glad I didn't... but, they're very conservative on financing, Can you go in and beat them down on the number? I was hoping for closer to $27K?
  • carexpert08carexpert08 Member Posts: 49
    hey everyone i would like to see what price i should be asking for when negotiating for this car.
    the dealer told me 24,900 plus all fees. he said that is invoice price. i think that this quote is VERY high considering that it is simply a base and its only option is alloy wheels and that the 2008 are already here. if anyone can shed some light on me it woul dbe very apprecited. thank's a lot to everyone in advance
  • sdoo25sdoo25 Member Posts: 25
    I have an 2006 Passat and it's my first VW. From my experience and from reading in other places you most likely will not have the same low maintenance experience that you had in the Honda. The Passat requires synthetic oil so you can expect to pay from $50 to $70 for an oil change. There also seem to be more little issues that need taken care of, nothing major but you'll have to go to the dealer for a few hours to a day to get them fixed. All that said, it is a great car and I most likely won't be buying a non-German (VW) car again. Just so much to fun, built solid and safe for the kids (I have 3). You should check out this site: link title. Lots of discussions on the Passat so you can get some other opinions of the car and to see if you're getting a good price. A lot more traffic there than here.

Tom
  • vwenthuvwenthu Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone have experiences of getting the sunroof installed on a base model that does not come with sunroof? If so what is the cost and how is the look and working condition and overall experience? I am considering buying 2008 Passat turbo that does not have a sunroof.
  • petepie1petepie1 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2003 V6 Passat Wagon that has 90K miles on it and has been great (knock on wood). So far, maintenance has not been worse than my 85 Accord. I also have a 00 Jetta with 180K miles on it, and it is starting to need some expensive repairs (so will probably be replaced soon), but I think a Honda at 180K would need the same type of maintenance. I know some people that have not been as luck with their VWs and have had major reliability problems from the start with their cars. Unfortunately, I think it's luck of the draw.

Strange as it sounds, my tip is to pay close attention to the specific car you're going to buy when you test drive it. I ran into a couple of new Passats when looking for the 03 that had strange noises (whinier engine, small squeaks) when compared to other identical models I'd driven on the test drive so didn't buy them. Don't know if that made a difference, but it seems like VW reliability is very hit or miss and tied to specific cars. If it sounds good at the start, hopefully it will stay that way.

As for the seats, the Passat has leather, which is much better than cloth for kids, but I think the vinyl would be even better. I had an old Mercedes with the vinyl inside, and it was great, you could even use Formula 409 to clean it. Good luck with the VW purchase.
  • gtrom23gtrom23 Member Posts: 4
    HI guys,
    can somebody tell me what is a fair price for a new passat 2008 turbo(cheapest model).i would like to buy one and im not familiar with usa prices..im european by the way .i live in sarasota.thank you !
  • vwenthuvwenthu Member Posts: 36
    I bought an 08 Passat sedan turbo (base model) with manual transmission on 11/3 for 23,000+TTL in Chicago northwest suburbs. This price is $535 under invoice.
  • 08deal08deal Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market to lease an 08 Lux Passat Wagon. Any idea when the holiday deals will start to kick in? Does anyone think it's possible to get this model for under 30k? thanks.
  • tom151tom151 Member Posts: 2
    A word of worring, I own a VW Passat, purchased used with about 35,000 miles on it. Despite having a VW dealer do all the scheduled maintenance, the breakdown maintenance record has been horrible, the first two years it averaged about $1,500 per year and this year through November we spent $2,600 on breakdown issues. Last week a sealed bearing in the engine failed requiring over $5,600 in repairs, and if there is piston damage the bill could exceed $9,000. In talking to the dealer mechanic, he said that they run into this bearing failure problem "almost everyday". Over the last three years the car has broken down while driving three times, each creating a safety problem, towing and significant breakdown maintenance expenses.
  • carwhatcarwhat Member Posts: 1
    Is this an 07 or an 08?

I'm in the Houston area, looking for a Turbo. Has anyone had any experiences with dealers in the Houston area?
  • vw_shprvw_shpr Member Posts: 2
    Just received a quote today on a '08 Passat Komfort (w/ heated seats) of $26,689. Also, was made aware that $1,500 in trade assistance is available for trading in a Honda.

Lease quote as follows:

36 months (12K/YR)
    $0 down ($550 due at signing)
    Pmts: $366 + Tax
    MF: 0.00115
    Residual: 50% (MSRP $28,655)

Does this look like a good deal? Milwaukee, WI
  • spinmiataspinmiata Member Posts: 2
    This forum has been great, so I figured I should go through the rigmarole of signing up to add to the database of knowledge.

Shopping in the Mid-Atlantic for a 2008 Passat Wagon, Turbo (base) manual, no options.

MSRP: 25,900 approx.

Getting offers of 22,400 +TTL as of end of January, 2008. Going to pick the most friendly dealer within the week.
  • spinmiataspinmiata Member Posts: 2
    This is with the 1500 VW loyalty rebate, sorry forgot to mention (and the sneaky dealers forgot to mention it too).
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    what should I be paying for a 2008 Komfort Wagon with heated seats and
    17" wheels on a 36mo, 12K lease? I am rolling $6400 of neg into the deal,
    and the dealer is telling me $560 with all incentives and taxes. MSRP
    is $30,134. i would think it would be lower.
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    spinmiata, so you got final price of 20900 plus TTL, right?
  • jsnapjsnap Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an 2005 TDI Passat GLS wagon 5A this past week for $21,900. This car will be for my daughter. 40,003 miles on it when it arrived. It came from Nebraska to Colorado; the previous owner drove it here for me. It was very hard to find this car. I looked all over the US for it, which took me 2 months to find.

It's in pretty good shape; however, it needs the 40K mile service immediately which wasn't an expense I wanted, but I got the seller to knock off $2000 from his price. It looks like it may have an oil leak that needs addressing and the brake light recall still needs doing too. Good thing it's still under warranty! The price was still higher than I had wanted to pay, but these cars are in high demand so I had to swallow hard and just go for it. We really wanted it.

We plan to run it on Bio-diesel as soon as the tank needs filling again. The previous owner filled it up with regular diesel just before we bought it, which was nice of him. He messed up the title tho while filling it out; so, I'll have to wait until I have clear title before I can take it into the shop. Guess we won't be driving it until all that is done. :(

I'm also buying an '05 Jetta TDI with only 36K on it this coming week too. This one is local so any issues can be delt with more easily. Will be getting that one for $17K.
  • opositivelyopositively Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I just wanted to share my experience with you all by using Edmunds website in researching for my 08 Passat.

Today I just purchased a brand new (mocha brown exterior, latte machiato interior) 2008 Passat "Lux" with the additional options of the DVD Navigation (NV), rear side airbags (4X4) and Dynaduio (9VE) for $455 above dealer's invoice. After getting the additional $1500 rebate and trading in my 2001 Toyota 4x4 and got 10K for it, the final cost was $20554. Purchased in Daytona Beach, FL...

MSRP: $33940
    Dealer's Invoice: $31579
    Edmund's True Market Value (TMV): $32088
    Actual Purchase price w/Rebate included: $30554
    Total Savings below MSRP:$3386.

Yesterday, however, another VW dealer would've had me pay 680 over invoice, another 500 for transport fees to his lot, and 1K on rebate, and 10,500 on my truck. He was absolute in his price for the EXACT same vehicle color, options, etc...

I confronted him about the rebate, letting him know that VW offered 1500 for rebates, and of course he played it off by saying he wasn't aware of it (sure he wasn't).

I of course did not reveal to him that I already knew what MSRP was, what the Dealer invoice was, and more importantly what the TMV was. Bottom line, I would've paid almost $1500 more than I did had I not done my research using Edmunds.com.

The point in all this is that, if it wasn't for edmund's I wouldn't have known whether or not I was making a good deal for ME or for the Dealer. Today, it was a win-win situation for both the dealer I worked with in Daytona Beach (vs. Jacksonville) and me getting a fair deal all the way around. So I just wanted to say THANKS to Edmunds, and to everyone else who shares their good and bad experiences on here, for making me a much more informed consumer....God Bless the USA!!!
  • growler2growler2 Member Posts: 1
    Well I decided to sign up to share my story.
    I am buying a Passat through a special buyer's program w/my company that offers deep discount off the msrp (it is best not to get specific, but it is in the 20-25% off msrp range). Too good a deal to pass up, after test-driving the car and liking it!
    The thing is: I really wanted the Lux trim line, but it turned out VW ended their production year early and I was left with a dilemma... I could only choose from existing cars and there were just a handful, and no Lux's. I found a Komfort that matched my color requirements (exactly) and came with one, minor option that didn't add too much to the MSRP. After some debate, I decided to take it.
    After reading some forums, it sounds like I did the right thing because there apparently will be no Lux's for 2009. If that's true (and if the CC models are in the upper 30k range), then it reinforces my feeling I acted correctly.

I was wondering if you all agree. I've read SO MUCH online about the haggles of car-buying, that I thought this was a great way to get a guaranteed great deal.

(btw, I knew that VW had a loyalty rebate but I assume it only applied to VW owners. Even if that isn't true, I still got a great deal--though not quite as great as it would seem if you went purely by Edmunds, etc)
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    In Portland, OR, I saw a dealer advertising "1 car" at $6100 off MSRP. Not bad. So a $26,000 car is just under $20K.
  • rudyirudyi Member Posts: 2
    Looking for invoice prices for subject car in greater Metro Ny area.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    I traded my 02 Passat 4 Motion for a different make over the 4th of July weekend. VW was the first car I looked at before I switched sides. I think you can get a real sweet deal right now. I didn't work up any numbers for the purchase price with the dealer, but they offered a high trade in allowance and kept calling me with promises of great prices.

I loved my 02 Passat. The only issue I have is they seem to be unreliable after the warranty expires. I spent over 3000 on repairs after the first 4 years of owning this car (last two years) and had an estimate of over 1500 for current engine problems. Had 82000 miles on engine. I don't know about the reliability of the new models. I think the VW is superior to the Asian and American makers in all areas except for the reliability.

If I decided to purchase the Passat, I would work my lowest deal then ask for an extended warranty for free or for a small fee. It's a fun car to drive. I know all cars have issues, I'm just saying get the extra warranty and you won't go wrong.
  • ken1496ken1496 Member Posts: 11
    Thinking about purchasing VW Passat Wagon at the end of 36mo lease. Any feedback appreicated.

TMV price $16,404 (does the cost include CA sales tax?)
    Purchase price $15,619 (all inclusive)

VW Credit 6.34%
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    TMV does not include sales tax..

If you want a good idea of what your car is worth, post the details here:

Real-World Trade-In Values

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• emmapantsemmapants Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy an 08 Passat Wagon Turbo. How much below invoice do I want to pay? I'm being told $27,150 MSRP and they are offering it for $24900, I want to pay $23000. Is this too high for the 08 now that the 09s are out? Consumer reports is telling me that the dealer price after holdbacks etc is 23,665.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    i was just curious of you posters who are complaining about the money you are
    spending on repairs for a car still under warranty? you are aware VWs warranty on the B6 is 4/50 with 5/60K on powertrain? I am wondering if you are paying out
    of pocket on that? very misleading.
  • springhill1springhill1 Member Posts: 1
    wow i really admire your ability to get such a great deal. could you please share some tips on how you achieved your goal? it seems like i was too naive to bring in my research folder with the msrp, invoice, tmv written all over my papers.
  • mulfomi1mulfomi1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I pick up her 2008 Passat wagon tomorrow. We paid $29,000 for it. Its sticker price was $30,200. Probably could have done better given that a 2009 wagon had just arrived but we also got the 60 months at 0% financing so that was good. This is the Komfort with heated seats and the floor mats and mud guards option. Only had 13 miles as the sales manager said it was the last 2008 he had ordered. Would have loved a manual but my wife preferred the automatic and there were only 2 2008's left.

I bought my 2001.5 1.8t Passat (manual) at the same dealership and have 145,000 miles on it and virtually no problems. A few headlights here and there (better since I pulled the fuse on the DRLs) and a couple vacuum hoses but other wise just wear and tear issues. Only had to replace brakes front and rear once and original turbo still going strong. Dealer service has been great. Always use 93 octane and always use full synthetic Mobil 1. Even when dealer provided service I brought my own oil. Best car I have ever owned. :D
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    was the 0% for 60 months normal? i thought it was 2.9% at 60 months according to edmunds...
  • mulfomi1mulfomi1 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, as far as i know. That had it at 2 different dealerships that i was at. Perhaps Edmunds hasnt been updated.
  • huih_8019huih_8019 Member Posts: 22
    2008 Passat Turbo Sedan Manual + seat heating and ipod adapter.

23374 OTD, close to Philly. Have to go through the dealer's finance so that they get the commission from the loaner. The loan can be paid off any time without penalty.
    huih, what dealer was that...im in the philly area.
  • chebella82chebella82 Member Posts: 7
    I'm shopping in Houston to buy a new 2008 lux edition passat with no additional options and got an offer for one with a 30,790 msrp for 26500, so more than 4k off the sticker. It already has 500 miles on it from being driven from an out of town dealership, but was not a demo and they of course are still calling it new. my question is, does this sound like a good deal seeing how many miles it has? They're reminding me that the warranty still starts at 0 miles.
    i think you can go lower. look for at least $500 below invoice then take into consideration $2500 dealer cash and that it has 500 miles. but i believe there is also advertising fees, reserve fees and a port fee on every vehicle...almost $400 more than edmunds listed invoice. i'd have them drop it to $26k even as the selling price and be happy.
  • davec8davec8 Member Posts: 4
    VW in Wellesley Mass. is offering this car at 25K, down from an MSRP of 28.8, and an invoice of 25.5. Nothing special on financing. Any reactions would be appreciated, especially ideas for how to bring that number down. (I am helping my Mom with this, and I know very little about VWs.)

Relatedly, I heard that these dealers have 3K in "dealer cash," giving them an extra 3k in cushion. Is this correct? If so should I be looking to get this car down closer to 22K? Thanks very much.
    invoice on that is not 3.3k below msrp...its only about 1.2k or so if you include the advert fee, etc. so with an msrp of 28.8, i'd shoot for $500 below invoice + the $2500 dealer cash. offer $24k