Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vieri_pilotvieri_pilot Member Posts: 6
    a few pages back, someone bought at 23.5k, another bought at 26k+0apr. both sound reasonable to me.
  • psychonutpsychonut Member Posts: 7
    That seems way high. $24500 + destination + TTL is the highest you should go.
  • samwusamwu Member Posts: 1
    Finally pulled the trigger on this Passat today. Not good at negotiation though:
    $24,500 (including window TINT, paint protection, Mats, iPod adaptor) + TTL.

Dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty 7Y / 70,000 miles for $1580. Does the price worth it?
  • jingormjingorm Member Posts: 12
    I was able to negotiate a Jetta TDI for $500 below MSRP in the DC area. While at the dealership I asked what kind of deals they are offering on 09 Passat sedans. It appears that dealer and a few others in my area are selling them for 3000-6000 below MSRP or roughly 24-26k on a 29-31k MSRP car. The standard configuration with mats with an MSRP of 29,199 usually goes fro around 24,500+TTL. The TDI MSRP is 25,945 and the deal is for 25,495+TTL.

I am buying this car for primarily for commuting as my growing family now needs a second car. Our other car is a BMW X3 which will be the kid-hauler. I like the idea of driving fuel efficient car and my commute is about 45 miles round trip. I also drive to NY/Boston 2-3 times a year. But the "deal" on the Passat is very attractive and the additional space, especially in the rear, would be helpful as my two kids grow out of their car seats.

Any insights on the pros and cons of each car relative to the other would be appreciated. I am especially interested in the historical long term reliability of both models. I also heard that you can use regular fuel in a Passat. Does that worsen the mileage on the car. That's what I was told about my BMW so I use premium, but my sister uses regular gas on her Audi A4 wagon.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    We have a Passat 2.0T wagon for about 7 months and generally like it but here are the positives and negatives.

Positives:
    -great highway gas mileage -- between 26 and 36 MPG, which is great for car this size;
    -great pickup as I have no problem passing people -- better than my 3 series.
    -comfortable seating, w great room;

Negatives:
    -in day to day short trips that my wife generally uses it for, it seems not to be that gas efficient. For daily short trips of a mile or so, we're probably getting 17 mpg or less.

-I'm not nuts about the headlights at night. They don't seem bright enough.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Not much other than a hybrid gets much better than the high teens mpg stop and go driving. Hwy mpg is great.
  • ncannonncannon Member Posts: 2
    Looking at a pre-owned '09 Passat with the Navigation System/touchscreen radio upgrade. Vehicle only has 3.5K on it. Dealer's first OTD offer was $25,697. Any thoughts? Reasonable price range?
    I was able to negotiate for an 09 Passat with MSRP 29,398 (mats & ipod) for between 22,500 and 23,500 (freight included) depending on the dealership. If you add the $2k for the NAV system, then you should be able to find a brand new passat with those features for $25,500ish. However, there aren't that many left with that NAV feature, so you may have to buy the pre-owned. Not a bad deal, you should at least try and push harder. How important is the NAV to you. You can just buy a basic Passat and buy your own portable NAV system.

I ended up leasing a CC Sport with DSG for $25,500 after looking at the Passat and Jetta TDI originally.
  • ncannonncannon Member Posts: 2
    I hear ya. The navigation really isn't that important to me. I think we're probably going to stick with a basic '09 Passat. The price you menioned for a brand new '09 is consistent, and in some cases better, that what I'm getting quoted for a pre-owned '09 with less than 20K. Sounds like I need to push harder. End of the year, pre-owned with less than 20K - I'm thinking $22,500 OTD is a good ceiling. Agree?
    Where do you live? I live in the DC metro area and shopped dealerships from VA Beach to NYC. I'm not as familiar with the pre-owned market pricing, most dealers had the low mileage 08-09's priced pretty close to the new 09s. That could be changing now that we are rolling into a new model year.

$22,500-$23,500 OTD sounds about right for you with the NAV/Soundsytem for a pre-owned 09 model. And to be clear, my price refers to car price + freight only. It did not include the "dealer processing fee" of $99-$399, tax and tags.

Also wait until the end of the month if you want more leverage. Although you risk that particular car may be sold before then. You may also be able to get the dealer to arrange a dealer exchange for a new 09 Passat if they don't have one on the lot.

FYI, I found that the touchscreen radio is cool, but not essential for me on my CC. However, the bluetooth was is very nice.
  • garry_22garry_22 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I just bought a 2008 Passat base model for $16,500 with 26,000 miles (Includes 74K miles/ 6 years warranty ). Do you guys think i got a good deal?

Thanks
  • cintomancintoman Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new 2010 Passat Wagon, and I've been pricing them around all the local and non-local dealerships within 300 miles of my ZIP Code (RI - 02864).

I'm actually looking for one with a specific exterior and interior color, with specific options (Deep Black Metallic with Cornsilk interior and Navigation). MSRP is around $31,700, invoice is around $29,800, and target price is around $30,800. This is according to yahoo autos, edmunds, and carsdirect among others.

One dealership quoted me $500 below MSRP (is he crazy?). I got another quote just today for $29,926 +TT&L. But I did get another one to quote me $29,200 +TT&L. It seems like a good deal, and well below the above sites' target price. I'm hoping to negotiate it a little bit lower, but was wondering if this is pretty good. BTW, this is for a 2010 Passat wagon with navigation and the tire splasguards. The Passats already come extremely well-equipped, so options are few (rubber mats, rear side airbags, larger wheels/tires, navigation, and that's about it).

Also, currently, the Passat sedans have 0% financing whereas the Passat wagons have a higher rate at 1.9%. Can I go into the dealership requesting the 0% the sedan offers, or is the financing non-negotiable? Either way, going thru VW's financing arm is far better than what my local banks and credit unions can offer me. Their lowest rate was 3.85% for the same term.

I'm also looking to trade in my 1998 Subaru Forester S (176,000 miles, very well-equipped, excellent condition, with a KBB trade-in value of around $3,000). From what I read, I should wait to discuss the trade until I have a firm price on the new car. Does $3,000 sound like something I'd get as a trade? I have a weekend car detailing business. And despite the car looking really good, I can make the car absolutely look phenomenal when I'm done detailing it. Others have suggested that having a trade-in is just another way of them low-balling you for a trade-in price. And other suggested throwing it on some Subaru forums where I could get a better price.

Thanks everyone !!!

Cintoman
  • yuan107yuan107 Member Posts: 5
    Bought on March 1st, 2010. 25,200 + TTL 0 APR for 60 months. MSRP: 28,419.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Cintoman, did you buy the wagon? I'm just starting to look for a new car, and the Passat wagon is one of the top five on my list. (Others include the Subaru Forester and Outback. Seems a lot of people cross-shop the Outback and the Passat wagon.)

If you bought it, do tell what price you finally managed and how you like the car.
    Have you tried using a car buying program like Amex or Costco? I am seeing better prices than the one's you have been quoted for the wagon through services like that. Send me a message if you want more info.
  • jie08jie08 Member Posts: 19
    Where did you purchase it? It is the base model, right? I am in NC, trying to fidn a deal on a bas 2010 Passsat sedan. Thanks.
    I am in NJ. It only has IPOD adapter, mat kit and lip spoiler. I don't know if you still can get 0 APR or not?
    Thank you for sharing this with me. Your price includes Destination Fee already, right? The fee is $790 for NC.
    Yes, the destination fee is included in the price. We have to pay Tax (7%), Title and Lisence fee (around 2000 dollars) on top of the 25,200. I think you can get lower price (maybe 24,500) for two reasons: 1. we were in hurry at the time we were shopping the car; 2. the 0 APR promotion ended at the end of Feb.
    BTW, at the similar price range, you can also check out the Jetta TDI and Tiguan, I like the Panoramic Sunroof very much!
  • david1201david1201 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hi, thought I would chime in. Just finalized a deal on an '10 Wagon with 18" wheels and the ipod interface (no nav). MSRP was $30,144, and dealer sold it to me for 27,449 (I'm out of state so I am covering tax, tag & title).

Also got the 1.9% financing for 60 months. (FYI, dealers lose $750 in incentive if you take the financing).
  • cintomancintoman Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I ended up getting the Passat Wagon I was looking for. It was at a dealership in Hyannis, MA, where I originally got a price quote of $500 less than MSRP. The MSRP for this one was $31,320. This car was a very well equipped 2010 Wagon. In addition to all the standard features, it also came with Navigation, and the splashguards.

Another dealership in Fall River, MA had the same car, but with a black interior versus the one in Hyannis that had the Cornsilk (beige) interior that we wanted. The Fall River dealership had that one at a fire sale price, so I contacted them, and asked if they could do a dealer swap with the Hyannis one. Then, I could get the one I wanted for the same price as their black interior one. They were able to do this.

So after negotiating a bit more, I ended up getting the car for $27,900, which included destination. This is far lower than any other dealership, with the next lowest one coming in at $29,200 for the same exact car. I also got the rubber floor mats and the rear cargo tray included in the price (which would have cost me around another $225.00).

Couldn't be happier with the deal I got...$3,420.00 less than MSRP.

Cintoman
  • rizzo5150arizzo5150a Member Posts: 1
    I went with a friend yesterday and helped her pick up a 2010 Passat "Komfort". 2.0T FWD, Mocha Brown/black (Hard to find color!). MSRP was $29,1XX. It had the Ipod kit, deck lip spoiler and the floor mat kit.

NO (zero) money down, 10k year, 36 mos. $379/mo including tax from Santa Monica VW. Money factor worked out to .9%

Great deal, hassle free and they had to dealer trade for the car.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I'm starting to look for a replacement for my 99 Passat. Checked 4 San Diego area dealers web sites and found 4 Passats in their on-line inventories. Is that normal? Is VW phasing out the Passat Komfort in favor of the CC or am I just between model years?
    Thanks
    The words are that VW stopepd making Passat, they are replacing it with a another disign and name. They will continue to make Passat CC. The 2011 models will be made in new factory in TN.

We thought about waiting for another 6 month to buy the new model (do not know the name yet), but quality with the new factory is a concern. So ...

We just bought one 2010 Passat sedan, with rubber mat set, trunk liner, iPod connection, and wing spoilor. We paid $25,500, and got 0% financing. We also got a good trade in for our 99 Honda accord. I have enjoyed the car so far.
    Good luck with your new Passat. Where are you located? I spoke with a sales rep today and she told me that VW has ceased production of the 2010 models and there isn't much stock remaining. She's going to check on possible dealer trades. Timing is everything and I may be too late to the party.
    I recall reading that VW has just recently broken ground on the Tennessee factory. If so, I would be surprised to see the 2011s before the end of the year. I don't think I'll jump on a new design built in a new factory by new employees.
  • suny_of_sbsuny_of_sb Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, I am planning to buy a a 2010 passat wagon base model. I am located at long island. I set my target price as 25500 + TTL, is this reasonable? Thanks~
  • edmunds26edmunds26 Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 Passat is almost running out of factory warranty.

Can anybody share their experience on buying extended warranty and how much you paid for it? What type did you get - Basic/Silver/Gold/Platinum?
  • sloboxslobox Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    It's been 3 years since the last lease ordeal. Want to make sure things are on track. NC dealership is offering 28,000, with 1100 down for fees, 42% residual and a money factor of .00036?...all for the grand price of around 457.00 a month. My question is should I bargain lower for the car and should I include the $650. acquisition fee into the total lease package, which they have told me are not taxed here. That would increase my payment very little. Why does car buying have to be such an ordeal?

Lastly, does anyone have an opinion on aftermarket nav systems, yes or no? thank you,
    @ slobox -- You could buy it for less with 0% financing.
  • sloboxslobox Member Posts: 4
    Ponytrekker - I'm just a lease junkie...After 20+ years of leasing cars, I figure one more time. I did find that the car I'm interested in advertised online for $900. less than the 28000 they offered me at the same dealer's site. When I called and asked them about it they told me that was the purchase price, not lease price. No reference to that on line? Guess we will see. what do you know about residual values for 15K miles?
  • pandxpandx Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    For anyone trying to grab a remaining 2010 Passat Wagon, I thought I'd share a post.

We're going out today to buy a Candy White Passat Variant with MSRP $31,720 (options include navigation and mat kit). They quoted us for $27,500 (+ TT&L) which I think is probably the best we're going to find given there are less than 10 left in a 100 mile radius. Another dealer quoted us $27,998 for the exact same car. We'd love to have a different color but it just didn't work out. I can also tell you that we found a Deep Black (MSRP $29,929; no navigation) offered for $25,334.

Our experience is that many dealers want to get rid of the last wagon on their lot. A few are being stubborn knowing they may be the only dealer in town with a preferred model. If you're not picky, you can get a good deal. We weren't willing to work with the dealer who was slow to respond and unwilling to negotiate price (though it was decent at $28,200 if we *really* wanted another color).

We considered buying a Jetta Sportwagen TDI but preferred the Passat after the test drive. This will be replacing my 2003 Passat wagon which is still running great with 85K miles. We'll have two wagons in the driveway until the older one is replaced with the new 328i in 2012.

The 2011 Passat Variant (in Europe) is beautiful and I wish that VW would have offered it here.
  • salvixsalvix Member Posts: 3
    Pandx,

I'm in the same situation as you. I've found a Candy White Passat Wagon (MSRP $29,730 according to VW.COM) but the dealer here in California wants:

$28K + TT&L with 60 months 0% APR ($518/mo out the door price)

OR

$26K + TT&L with 60 months 4.9% APR

Looks like he's trying to charge me the price of the wagon WITH navigation while this one does NOT have it.

Thoughts? Thank you!
    You're getting beat. I'd pay no more than $26k with 0%.

I paid around $25k with 0% 2 years ago and it wasn't an outgoing model.
    Wow! Thanks for the info. I'll try to negotiate it down.

The dealer will have to bring it from another dealership, but that can't possibly cost them $2,000!
  • dub_ladydub_lady Member Posts: 3
    Try calling around to other dealerships and have them work off each other. Even if one dealer is a few hours a way get them to give you a great price that you can show your local dealership. That leverage really works.
    I've got it!

$25.5K for the wagon + $1.6K for 7yr/70K miles VW warranty = $29.9K on the road (California). Still can't believe this car would have cost me $41K+ back in Canada! :mad:

Got financing through a credit union with extra discounts because of my employer.

Truecar.com was essential for this purchase. Got it from a local dealer instead of driving 1.5hs to get one for even more $$$.

Now off to the forums at vwvortex.com :)

Thanks for the tips!
  • mowacamowaca Member Posts: 8
    Local VW dealership has one with only 35k real miles but they want $13,xxx for it. I looked on Blue book and in excellent condition its only at $11k, so I'm not sure how they figured their price. The Edmunds price is $7,793 dealer retail, 6630 private party, but its a rare used car I see in the Edmunds ranges at dealerships.

I'm not sure what to do to get them to redo their starting price - I would be happy paying $7k, but I have a feeling they only have $1000-1500 in wiggle room. Do I really call the guy back and say "I'll give you 7k, but that's it" hoping they'll come down? Or do I just look for something else?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with Volkswagen customers who are excited about the upcoming Passat or car shoppers who thought about a Volkswagen vehicle but recently passed on it.
    If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, May 11th and include your name and email address.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• coness1coness1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

I am looking at a Passat w/ 27,500 miles on it. It is listed at $19,475. I am wondering what is a fair price to offer for this car and realistically what can I expect to pay. I read on consumer reports to offer 25% below the price. This car was purchased at an auction. Is there a way to tell how much it was purchased by the dealer for if I have the VIN?

Also, I know the 2012 Passats are coming and they start around 20,000. So to me 19,475 seems high.

Thanks in advance!
  • lepialepia Member Posts: 45
    I think that is a bit expensive in my opinion. I am leasing a Passat 2008 Luxury. The lease is due this month. I have the option to buy it for 15,534.50. Tax/Interest no included. The mileage is 26K. I hope this info will help you decide.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The dealers in the Dallas-Ft Worth area now have the 2012 Passat in the showrooms although they can't sell any yet. They are available for test drive. The TDI is a very nice car and is on my short list, but the dealer wants a $2,500 market adjustment in addition to MSRP. He says the is normal for all the TDI's. Is that true? I normally try to negotiate from invoice up.
    Don't change your strategy. If you're not in a hurry for a car, take your time. Eventually the dealer will have to drop the "market adjustment" and adjust to the market.
  • pramoda1pramoda1 Member Posts: 4
    The VW dealer in Austin is charging straight MSRP. It's reasonable to not expect discounts on a brand new model like this, but I don't think you need to pay above MSRP.
  • pb88pb88 Member Posts: 1
    I paid $27.7k before tax/title/license for a 2012 TDI SE with sunroof. Good price?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2012 Volkswagen Passat who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I also paid $27.7 for a TDI SE w/ Sunroof before tax/title/license on October 7th. That was invoice price including mat kit. I also got a good price on my 2010 CC trade-in. I thought it was a good price given that it is hard to find this car, especially in a color you may like.
  • steelblue314steelblue314 Member Posts: 25
    May I ask what they gave you on the trade in for your CC? I have a 2010 CC as well, and I want to get rid of it.
  • vortix1vortix1 Member Posts: 22
    Where are you located, and what options/how many miles are on the CC? My father has been thinking about getting a CC, and may be interested in it. He's located near Cleveland, OH.
    I got 22k for a 2010 CC Sport DSG w/ 10,500 miles and a small dent on front fender. Otherwise in great condition. Same offer that Carmax gave me 2 months ago. Dealer will probably sell for 25k.
  • cosmozamskycosmozamsky Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a used 2006 Passat. Do you own one? Do you like it? This car has 70,00 miles. It is a little high for what I was looking for.