Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    greenleggreenleg Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I just bought the passat tdi sel and am waiting for delivery. I don't pay sticker and got the price down to below invoice. Each dealer wil give you a line. Go from one dealer to another to hone your negotiation skills. One advantage of living in the greater New York City metropolitan area is that there are a number of dealers to go to and have fun with. Remember, it is their job to get the highest price for the car and it's yours to get the lowest
  • Options
    rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2011
    greenleg, can you share how much you paid for the TDI SEL minus any TTL? What was the MSRP?
  • Options
    basamxbasamx Member Posts: 17
    I'm thinking about getting a Passat SE with Sunroof or Kia Optima EX with Premium Pack. Both are within $1,000 of each other, but the Kia deals are really good, some going below invoice.

Have any of you been able to get a below invoice deal on a Passat?
  • Options
    zyndurai1zyndurai1 Member Posts: 3
    TTL + fees in AZ is about 11%. OTD was 26750. No options (well, it came w/ floor mats and tinted windows). However, when I was about to sign, another dealer called me and gave me price of 23,875. Got Night blue and black leatherette interior. Good luck all
  • Options
    ddavid1101ddavid1101 Member Posts: 10
    23.875 including TTL? Really? what was your price before TTL?
  • Options
    dhkhandhkhan Member Posts: 30
    (Also posted on the Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions forum)

Got my Passat lease yesterday, based on the following:

MSRP: $26,630 (Base price 25,625, Mats $235, Dest. $770)

Selling Price: $24,930 (was originally quoted $25,445, which is $100 over invoice, but negotiated them down)

Residual: 56% Money Factor 0.0074 (I was expecting 0.00049, but they said that was for the base SE, but I got a high trade in so didn't care).

Got a $1,000 rebate, and $1,250 trade cash for a total $2,250 cap reduction.

So Capitalized cost: $23,795

36 months, 12,00 miles per year and and Residual: $14,913

Monthly Payment before tax: 271.92

$0 cash OTD, as they covered sales tax on cap cost reduction, etc. under the $0 OTD lease promotion. (Couldn't figure how this worked, but I was just happy with this deal to not bother asking).

A big thank you to Car_man and all the forum members for sharing their experiences. Took me about 2 weeks of research on the internet and negotiating to get this deal.
  • Options
    mbpassatmbpassat Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I live in Ohio and am interested in buying a new 2012 Passat. The dealer I went to quoted me OTD 24,100 (22,290 sales price + 1,810 Tax & Fees) for a 4dr Sdn 2.5L Automatic S, which is the basic model. I never purchased a Passat before and have no idea if this is a good quote. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    npkleenpklee Member Posts: 1
    Did they give you eta? I ordered mine on 7/22 and not in yet. I wonder if anyone has taken delivery of tdi sel they ordered.
  • Options
    belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    If you know the options on the car, you can use the Edmunds price calculator for this car and see the dealer invoice and the sticker price. In general, most VW models only have about $1000 - $1200 markup from dealer invoice to the sticker price, so dealers don't have a whole lot of room to discount the car. If the dealer would discount the car about $500-$600 from the sticker price, I would say that is a good deal. Sometimes the dealer has some room to throw in some extra items, such as floor mats or perhaps ask them to pinstripe the car for no charge.

I have 3 VW's (two Jettas and a New Beetle Convertible) and everyone in the family enjoys driving them. Looking to replace one Jetta in a few months and the new Passat is definitely on my list.

Hope your deal works out for you.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • Options
    dhotiramdhotiram Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased 2012 Passat SEL Yesterday

I thought it would be helpful to post this info for others to compare when shopping.

Northern California Dealer.

1) Engine 2.5L
    2) Transmission AT DSG
    3) Trimline SEL
    4) Options -spoiler,navigation, fender audio, sunroof, all weather mats, mud flaps
    5) Tough Negotiating. they are selling these like hot cakes. Mud Flaps unavailable but the deater agreed to include and install when available.
    6) Price including tax, title, tags $ 29,500.00 OTD approximately $ 27,000.00 before taxes, Sticker price was $29,200.00 including destination but without spoiler and mud flaps.

Wife loves it.

Hope this post helps others.
  • Options
    fjimenezfjimenez Member Posts: 7
    Just purshased SEL PREIUM....DVD shuts down when driving....looking for a place by pass that sensor...anyone done this before on there car.
    What to install back up camera...and dvd players on both head rest ...any recomendations
  • Options
    bdewittbdewitt Member Posts: 13
    Anyone buy a Passat TDI recently? I am looking at a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Sticker is 33,335. What price should I shoot for for a straight cash buy???
  • Options
    Just a reader...most car dealers get 2 or 3 % on that sale....take 1% off sticker price.....tops $1000 off sticker ...if your lucky
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited March 2012
    We have decided to get a Passat to use as our Florida car. We are snowbirds and we are in Florida now and we got a rental Passat to use, from Budget....surprised they had them.

My wife will be driving the car mostly, and she wants a manual transmission. First we asked to see the $19995 model that is advertised, but which I can't find in inventory anywhere. It seems that model comes without air conditioning and dealers don't carry them in Florida.

We checked the S model but didn't like the crank seat adjustment levers, if we switch drivers it seems pretty crude. It would be ok if the car was used by one driver. Decided on an SE model, which moves the price up, but has a lot of nice features including the steering wheel controls.

Price of car less $1100 for manual transmission
    $24765
    $1485 tx
    $489 dealer prep (usually higher in Florida)
    $450 tag and register
    $ 92 County tax DMV tire and battery tax
    Total $27280
    Disc $1033
    Total $26147 rounded to $26000

Now, if I go to another dealers website I get this price for an automatic 2012 Passat;

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

Drivetrain:
    FWD
    Engine:
    2.5L I-5 cyl
    Ext. Color:
    Glacial Blue
    Vin:

Model Code:

Stock Number:

MSRP $24,765 Discount -$2,970 Adjusted Price $21,795

If I take $1100 off for manual that seems like a great deal, since they say they will discount the car almost $3000!

The extras, tax etc came to about $2500 so I should get the car I am looking for about $23300!

Is there a trick?

btw, the rental Passat is a nice riding and handling car. Huge trunk, seems like a limo in the back seat. Our cars back home are bmws, so it is saying a lot that we are very impressed with the Passat.

We would order a 2013 in August.

Any thoughts?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Good Choice I just got the Passat SEL premium 5 cyl ...remote starter...it's great, good leg room space front and back....
    My second car is S550 Mercedes ....and I'll tell you
    Passat's rides very good for that price....one thing no back up camera...
    that's the only thing I do not like...but nothing is perfect..
    ...are you driving to florida with this car....Look into Hydbrid coming soon
  • Options
    ...are you driving to florida with this car....Look into Hydbrid coming soon

Thanks for the comments fji. I am glad you find the Passat a good car when you have an S550 Merc. I have a BMW 535 which we will drive down to Florida in november, and the Passat will be like a 2nd car for use just in Florida.

I have read a report that they will make back up cameras mandatory for 2013 cars so I am hoping they will do that because we will be ordering a 2013. They cost about $50 to $200 but will save a lot of people from being run over each year. I wouldn't have ordered a camera on my bimmer, but it came with a package, and now I really like having it.

The Passat is quite remarkable for the price. It really feels like a baby Audi.

• Options
    allan20allan20 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, pls advise what I should expect to pay for a 2012 TDI Passat, manual transmission. I will be buying it, are there any rebates/special financing I should consider?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for new-car buyers who feel they've been victimized by unscrupulous salespeople. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    hanko1hanko1 Member Posts: 1
    Just test drove a Passat TDI SEL Premium and was quoted a price of $33, 275 for a new 2012.
    Any thoughts on a what fair market would be in Wilmington DE area? Been years since I bought a new car...any advice on negotiating process? thanks to all..
  • Options
    sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Hello all, new to this blog- just read USA today talking about the tdi passat - they liked it with a few grips- very interested in the mpgs this car can run and went to vw website for details but found little- Can anyone confirm- can you get the tdi manual with nav and sunroof- website says otherwise - rock on vw people
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Hello, pls advise what I should expect to pay for a 2012 TDI Passat, manual transmission.

Did you check "New Cars" on Edmunds at the top of the page. Find the car you want, plug in your ZIP code, and they will give you a good price you would pay.

We plan on buying one in August to use in Florida. We also want a manual transmission. We asked to see the advertised model at $19995 but were told that doesn't exist in Florida because that car doesn't have air conditioning.

The S model is pretty spartan and the manual seat adjustment is awkward if there are 2 people using the car. So, for the extra amount the SE is worth considering, though that reallly boosts the price.

I believe the Edmunds price on an SE was around $23500. Dealer in Florida said out the door price would be $26k (Edmunds price makes it $25600 out the door). I could probably fight for $200-$300 off that.

We rented one for 2 weeks when we were in Florida last and it was a very enjoyable car to drive. Lots of room, especially the back seat, good handling, nice ride.

A base SE manual looks like this on Edmunds:

Invoice
    $23,522
    MSRP
    $24,495
    $23,276
    True Market Value®

The True Market Value® (TMV®) price is our exclusive method for calculating what others are paying for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE in Valdosta, GA (based on actual sales data from your region).
    True Market Value® Pricing

Description
    Invoice
    MSRP
    True Market Value®

Base Price
    $22,752
    $23,725
    $22,556

Candy White
    $0
    $0
    $0

Moonrock
    $0
    $0
    $0

Destination Fee
    $770

• Options
    Any thoughts on a what fair market would be in Wilmington DE area?

Same, try EDmunds New Cars at the top of the page. They will show you what the car should sell for and give you a choice of dealers in your area.

Also, the USA Today site is pretty good. Remember, there are extra costs, they do add in transportation, but there is also tax, dealer prep, registration, etc....possibly over $2000.

Good luck...TDI should make a great car.

• Options
    - can you get the tdi manual with nav and sunroof-

I think you can get nav, a sunroof and what is an automated manual transmission if you opt for a V6 SEL Premium Sedan or if you get an SEL TDI deisel.

If you go to this site you can check out options and pricing;
    Edmunds pricing Passats

I am not sure you will want an automated manual transmission. It is faster and more efficient, but might not be quite as much fun.

• Options
    thormanthorman Member Posts: 2
    4/29/12 Lease Deal

MSRP = $27,800

36mo/ 12K miles/year

$0 Drive-off = $274+tax
  • Options
    physguyphysguy Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Socal dealer, June purchase date.

One of several to offer this price after some bargaining.

Automatic transmission, base SE with no sunroof.

$22,500 + tax title and license (~10%)

MSRP was $25,865

Took a _refundable_ extended warranty to get a near 1% financing rate on 60 months through VW Financing. Ask the financing people about this. It's a good deal if you do not have tier 1 credit. You can get a full refund while locking in the financing rate.
  • Options
    atanneratanner Member Posts: 13
    For a new 2012 Passat SE, has anyone paid full in cash to get a better deal?
  • Options
    bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium for $300 under invoice using the Costco website.
  • Options
    bubbler86bubbler86 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    Just leased a 2013 Candy White 3.6L SEL Premium Passat. MSRP 34480 with a Sales Price of $30356 after lease incentives of $1750 (I think).

Lease payment came to about $350/MO with 7% tax included for 36 Mo/15K Miles. $1200 in acq. fee and dealer fees wrapped into the lease with only money down was first payment.

Residual was 54% and Money Factor was .00015.
  • Options
    dano54dano54 Member Posts: 2
    hi im buying a new 2013 passat tdi se with sunroof and nav. i live in so.califorina. im putting down $20,000 and financing the rest thru my credit union.i need to find the best deal possible, the dealer had quote me $29,140 plus tax and license. Can i do better? what counter offer should i come back with??? im new at this car buying stuff. please help me!!!! thanks guys! :confuse:
  • Options
    ajr1775ajr1775 Member Posts: 33
    If that includes the destination fee then you won't be able to do much better unless there is some type of dealer incentive you can throw on top of that. According to Edmunds, invoice on this is $28,660.00 plus Destination of $795.00. So, the price offered sounds good to me. The only other thing I'd mention is to not pay the silly markup fees such as prep or document fee, these fees are complete fluff.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a the latest model VW Passat or Honda Accord sedan, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    martymcfly1martymcfly1 Member Posts: 3
    So, I dont know anything about residual value or anything else. What I do know, is how to negotiate.

So i have three offers, let me know if any of these are good deals, and which one is best

Same car for all 3, 2013 Passat SE with Conveinence Package and Sunroof

1) $264/ month, 41 payments (dealer pays 1st month), no $ down, just DMV fees (250$ or so?) But the bumper to bumper warranty expires after 36 months and there is a 350$ disposition fee!

2) $279/month, 36 months. no $ down but DMV again.

3) $279/month, same as #1 but with an extended warranty

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP---
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I wouldn't keep any VW one mile past the warranty. Mine died at 36,100 miles. Fuel injector went bad. VW wound up goodwilling the repair but since there were 3 more injectors to go bad and it was normally a $1300 repair, once it was fixed I drove it right to the Infiniti dealer.
  • Options
    well your missing what is the price on the car..your saying 41 payment at 264..is 11,439....for a passat...that's a hell of a deal....
    did you have a trade?
  • Options
    dano54dano54 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Im paying cash $30,500 OUT THE DOOR (includes my San Pedro, CA 90731 tax!)for a passat
    2013 VW Passat TDI with Roof & NAV is this a good deal? fair? or can i do better? the dealer said the invoice on this car is 29,640
  • Options
    bahn517bobahn517bo Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,
    Trying to figure out if this is a good deal and if I should sign off on it or not. Any suggestions? Your feedback is much appreciated.

MSRP: 26110
    Sale Price: 22575
    Cap Cost Reduction: 0
    Gross Cap Cost (rolling in acquisition fee): 23200
    Residual: 55% / 14360.5

12k / 35 months. There is a $1250 cash incentive going on right now + 1st month payment waived.
  • Options
    emmayuemmayu Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Passat for $21,000 + Tax/Reg
    MSRP = 24,010
    was it a good deal?
    Walked in and out of the dealership in less than 2 hours
  • Options
    testaccounttestaccount Member Posts: 7
    i am having trouble bringing down the SE with roof price down from 26k to sub 25k, may i ask which dealership you got the offer from? was hoping i can get a break down to use it to negotiate.

thanks!
  • Options
    dl10801dl10801 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Previously owned 2 Passat GLX models, but switched to Hyundai Sonata in between. Have an offer now on a 2013 Passat SE w/sunroof for $289 a month, about 1800 due at signing for sales tax and DMV fees. 42-month deal, 12k miles/year. Dealer also will pick up about $1450 in final payments to get me out of Hyundai early. I have no sense if this is the right number. Can anyone help? Gracious dealer is in area of Poughkeepsie, NY. I thought I would do better up there than in Bronx or lower Westchester County. Thanks.
  • Options
    Considering they are getting you out of the Hyundai early, that deal looks legit to me. Need to verify if the $1250 lease cash incentive is in effect though. FYI, they won't tell you about it unless you bring it up. I had to prove to the VW sales guy that yes, I arrived at the rate I offered them by knowing they had the lease cash incentive and showing them these threads off my iPhone. After that they dropped their salesman spiel and it was smooth sailing.
  • Options
    danny01danny01 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man,

Thanks for the great info!

I went to a New York dealer today and this is was their first offer:

$24,990
    36 months
    10k/year
    MF: .00016
    Residual: 54%
    $345/month including tax
    first month's payment and DMV fees due at signing.

I did not negotiate at all, and told them I will compare the numbers to other cars and comeback. I plan on countering with $24,000, and 56% residual with 0 first month's payment. Is this reasonable? Should I try going even lower? Also I saw that people are getting .00009 MF. Is this still the going rate? I don't think my credit will qualify for top tier. Dealer said B-tier MF is .00046 and C-tier is .00101.

What should I counter with?

After looking at all the trims, I might consider the SEL Premium. What are the numbers for that trim?

ANy input will be appreciated

DAnny
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    A dealer is willing to give me 3k off the msrp and qualify for the 0% for 66 months. Is this a good deal? I'm stuck between this and the new 2014 mazda 6. I can't decide. The deal on the passat sounds good but i want to verify if that is great...
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    which engine?
    5 cylinder: pass (anemic)
    TDI diesel: yes
    6 cylinder: yes
  • Options
    cbarshcbarsh Member Posts: 2
    Quick inventory search in So Cal. yeilds loads of cars in tons of combinations. Plus not much chatter on this board... Was thinking of getting one soon. But might wait for better incentives in comming months. Thoughts?
  • Options
    ref: 3406
    IMHO, the American made Passat suffers from the following:
    The standard 5 cylinder engine is old and anemic. It is due to be replaced with a turbo 4-cylinder engine soon (time frame unknown). The other engines are excellent but boost the price too high for most people in this mid-size sedan range. They need an entry level sedan priced around 23k with a better engine than the 5 cylinder. That's why i eliminated the passat from my current shopping experience.
  • Options
    belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I own a 2012 SE with 5 speed manual. The car handles very well, with great road feel, excellent seat comfort, huge back seat, and quiet on the highway. It has an HD radio, which has crystal clear sound on the FM HD stations. Haven't even subscribed to Sirius (car comes with a Sirius radio), as the HD is great, and doesn't cost $13.00 per month (Sirius cost). The 5 cylinder engine is the same one that VW has used in the Jetta and Beetle for quite some time. Those being smaller cars, they are quicker, but I am not unhappy with the performance. Gets up to speed easily on the highway and has enough power for around town. Of course, this may be different with the 6 speed automatic, than the 5 speed manual that I have. I would certainly check out the Passat on your shopping list for cars. I think you would be most happy with the driving experience.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • Options
    Anemic? That depends on who is driving. I find it adequate in my 2013 SE. I for one am glad I got this one. The engine is solid and I'll be staying away from turbo 4-cylinders or any 4 cylinder in a sedan-sized vehicle that is souped up.....they tend to end up needing more work and attention down the road. If this mediocre and stable V5 wasn't available I would of gotten the V6 before I looked at another car with a V4.

I guess those souped up V4s are just enough to make people feel a little bit better about driving a sedan LOL. It's just as self-defeating as getting a Mustang with a V6 or putting a cosmetic ear-deafening muffler on an old Honda Civic, what's the point of that?
  • Options
    I am glad you are happy with the power of your V5-equipped Passat. Was it a special order?
  • Options
    vkrsvkrs Member Posts: 2
    I have a quote for a 2013 Passat TDI SE Manual Transmission. I'm planning to buy it without financing. On both Edmunds and Truecar I gather that most people are paying around this price, roughly 4-5% below invoice. It seems like a good deal to me but am I missing anything? I have only this quote and nothing else...I'm wondering if I should even bother if the best I can do is only 6% below invoice for this model. Your comments/help is much appreciated.

27,290 msrp
    25808 sale price
    1806.35 7% sales tax
    320 estimated motor vehicle
    7.5 tire tax

=$28,237.85 out the door
  • Options
    vkrsvkrs Member Posts: 2
    In my previous message I meant to say 4-5% below the MSRP. I do have an update. I bought the Passat TDI SE Manual Transmission. I was looking at an invoice of 25945 at Edmunds but with the mat kit that I got, the invoice was 26185 (I saw this at the dealer).

Final price: 25195
    + 7% sales tax
    311 DMV fees
    7.5 tire tax
    $250 document fee (I tried to negotiated this as much into the final price but it was difficult to go lower and I was not willing to put in more effort at that point)
    = 27572.15 out of the door