Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    The dealers in the Dallas-Ft Worth area now have the 2012 Passat in the showrooms although they can't sell any yet. They are available for test drive. The TDI is a very nice car and is on my short list, but the dealer wants a $2,500 market adjustment in addition to MSRP. He says the is normal for all the TDI's. Is that true? I normally try to negotiate from invoice up.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    Don't change your strategy. If you're not in a hurry for a car, take your time. Eventually the dealer will have to drop the "market adjustment" and adjust to the market.
  • The VW dealer in Austin is charging straight MSRP. It's reasonable to not expect discounts on a brand new model like this, but I don't think you need to pay above MSRP.
  • pb88pb88 Posts: 1
    I paid $27.7k before tax/title/license for a 2012 TDI SE with sunroof. Good price?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2012 Volkswagen Passat who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jingormjingorm Posts: 12
    I also paid $27.7 for a TDI SE w/ Sunroof before tax/title/license on October 7th. That was invoice price including mat kit. I also got a good price on my 2010 CC trade-in. I thought it was a good price given that it is hard to find this car, especially in a color you may like.
  • May I ask what they gave you on the trade in for your CC? I have a 2010 CC as well, and I want to get rid of it.
  • vortix1vortix1 Posts: 20
    Where are you located, and what options/how many miles are on the CC? My father has been thinking about getting a CC, and may be interested in it. He's located near Cleveland, OH.
  • jingormjingorm Posts: 12
    I got 22k for a 2010 CC Sport DSG w/ 10,500 miles and a small dent on front fender. Otherwise in great condition. Same offer that Carmax gave me 2 months ago. Dealer will probably sell for 25k.
  • I am looking at a used 2006 Passat. Do you own one? Do you like it? This car has 70,00 miles. It is a little high for what I was looking for.
  • greenleggreenleg Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I just bought the passat tdi sel and am waiting for delivery. I don't pay sticker and got the price down to below invoice. Each dealer wil give you a line. Go from one dealer to another to hone your negotiation skills. One advantage of living in the greater New York City metropolitan area is that there are a number of dealers to go to and have fun with. Remember, it is their job to get the highest price for the car and it's yours to get the lowest
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Posts: 129
    edited November 2011
    greenleg, can you share how much you paid for the TDI SEL minus any TTL? What was the MSRP?
  • basamxbasamx Posts: 17
    I'm thinking about getting a Passat SE with Sunroof or Kia Optima EX with Premium Pack. Both are within $1,000 of each other, but the Kia deals are really good, some going below invoice.

Have any of you been able to get a below invoice deal on a Passat?
  • TTL + fees in AZ is about 11%. OTD was 26750. No options (well, it came w/ floor mats and tinted windows). However, when I was about to sign, another dealer called me and gave me price of 23,875. Got Night blue and black leatherette interior. Good luck all
  • 23.875 including TTL? Really? what was your price before TTL?
  • dhkhandhkhan Posts: 27
    (Also posted on the Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions forum)

Got my Passat lease yesterday, based on the following:

MSRP: $26,630 (Base price 25,625, Mats $235, Dest. $770)

Selling Price: $24,930 (was originally quoted $25,445, which is $100 over invoice, but negotiated them down)

Residual: 56% Money Factor 0.0074 (I was expecting 0.00049, but they said that was for the base SE, but I got a high trade in so didn't care).

Got a $1,000 rebate, and $1,250 trade cash for a total $2,250 cap reduction.

So Capitalized cost: $23,795

36 months, 12,00 miles per year and and Residual: $14,913

Monthly Payment before tax: 271.92

$0 cash OTD, as they covered sales tax on cap cost reduction, etc. under the $0 OTD lease promotion. (Couldn't figure how this worked, but I was just happy with this deal to not bother asking).

A big thank you to Car_man and all the forum members for sharing their experiences. Took me about 2 weeks of research on the internet and negotiating to get this deal.
  • :confuse: I live in Ohio and am interested in buying a new 2012 Passat. The dealer I went to quoted me OTD 24,100 (22,290 sales price + 1,810 Tax & Fees) for a 4dr Sdn 2.5L Automatic S, which is the basic model. I never purchased a Passat before and have no idea if this is a good quote. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!
  • Did they give you eta? I ordered mine on 7/22 and not in yet. I wonder if anyone has taken delivery of tdi sel they ordered.
  • If you know the options on the car, you can use the Edmunds price calculator for this car and see the dealer invoice and the sticker price. In general, most VW models only have about $1000 - $1200 markup from dealer invoice to the sticker price, so dealers don't have a whole lot of room to discount the car. If the dealer would discount the car about $500-$600 from the sticker price, I would say that is a good deal. Sometimes the dealer has some room to throw in some extra items, such as floor mats or perhaps ask them to pinstripe the car for no charge.

I have 3 VW's (two Jettas and a New Beetle Convertible) and everyone in the family enjoys driving them. Looking to replace one Jetta in a few months and the new Passat is definitely on my list.

Hope your deal works out for you.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • Just purchased 2012 Passat SEL Yesterday

I thought it would be helpful to post this info for others to compare when shopping.

Northern California Dealer.

1) Engine 2.5L
    2) Transmission AT DSG
    3) Trimline SEL
    4) Options -spoiler,navigation, fender audio, sunroof, all weather mats, mud flaps
    5) Tough Negotiating. they are selling these like hot cakes. Mud Flaps unavailable but the deater agreed to include and install when available.
    6) Price including tax, title, tags $ 29,500.00 OTD approximately $ 27,000.00 before taxes, Sticker price was $29,200.00 including destination but without spoiler and mud flaps.

Wife loves it.

Hope this post helps others.
  • Just purshased SEL PREIUM....DVD shuts down when driving....looking for a place by pass that sensor...anyone done this before on there car.
    What to install back up camera...and dvd players on both head rest ...any recomendations
  • Anyone buy a Passat TDI recently? I am looking at a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Sticker is 33,335. What price should I shoot for for a straight cash buy???
  • Just a reader...most car dealers get 2 or 3 % on that sale....take 1% off sticker price.....tops $1000 off sticker ...if your lucky
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,159
    edited March 2012
    We have decided to get a Passat to use as our Florida car. We are snowbirds and we are in Florida now and we got a rental Passat to use, from Budget....surprised they had them.

My wife will be driving the car mostly, and she wants a manual transmission. First we asked to see the $19995 model that is advertised, but which I can't find in inventory anywhere. It seems that model comes without air conditioning and dealers don't carry them in Florida.

We checked the S model but didn't like the crank seat adjustment levers, if we switch drivers it seems pretty crude. It would be ok if the car was used by one driver. Decided on an SE model, which moves the price up, but has a lot of nice features including the steering wheel controls.

Price of car less $1100 for manual transmission
    $24765
    $1485 tx
    $489 dealer prep (usually higher in Florida)
    $450 tag and register
    $ 92 County tax DMV tire and battery tax
    Total $27280
    Disc $1033
    Total $26147 rounded to $26000

Now, if I go to another dealers website I get this price for an automatic 2012 Passat;

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

Drivetrain:
    FWD
    Engine:
    2.5L I-5 cyl
    Ext. Color:
    Glacial Blue
    Vin:

Model Code:

Stock Number:

MSRP $24,765 Discount -$2,970 Adjusted Price $21,795

If I take $1100 off for manual that seems like a great deal, since they say they will discount the car almost $3000!

The extras, tax etc came to about $2500 so I should get the car I am looking for about $23300!

Is there a trick?

btw, the rental Passat is a nice riding and handling car. Huge trunk, seems like a limo in the back seat. Our cars back home are bmws, so it is saying a lot that we are very impressed with the Passat.

We would order a 2013 in August.

Any thoughts?

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• fjimenezfjimenez Posts: 7
    Good Choice I just got the Passat SEL premium 5 cyl ...remote starter...it's great, good leg room space front and back....
    My second car is S550 Mercedes ....and I'll tell you
    Passat's rides very good for that price....one thing no back up camera...
    that's the only thing I do not like...but nothing is perfect..
    ...are you driving to florida with this car....Look into Hydbrid coming soon
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,159
    ...are you driving to florida with this car....Look into Hydbrid coming soon

Thanks for the comments fji. I am glad you find the Passat a good car when you have an S550 Merc. I have a BMW 535 which we will drive down to Florida in november, and the Passat will be like a 2nd car for use just in Florida.

I have read a report that they will make back up cameras mandatory for 2013 cars so I am hoping they will do that because we will be ordering a 2013. They cost about $50 to $200 but will save a lot of people from being run over each year. I wouldn't have ordered a camera on my bimmer, but it came with a package, and now I really like having it.

The Passat is quite remarkable for the price. It really feels like a baby Audi.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• allan20allan20 Posts: 4
    Hello, pls advise what I should expect to pay for a 2012 TDI Passat, manual transmission. I will be buying it, are there any rebates/special financing I should consider?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter is looking for new-car buyers who feel they've been victimized by unscrupulous salespeople. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with a few words about your experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hanko1hanko1 Posts: 1
    Just test drove a Passat TDI SEL Premium and was quoted a price of $33, 275 for a new 2012.
    Any thoughts on a what fair market would be in Wilmington DE area? Been years since I bought a new car...any advice on negotiating process? thanks to all..
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,159
    Hello all, new to this blog- just read USA today talking about the tdi passat - they liked it with a few grips- very interested in the mpgs this car can run and went to vw website for details but found little- Can anyone confirm- can you get the tdi manual with nav and sunroof- website says otherwise - rock on vw people