Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1616263646567»

Comments

• mcolfleshmcolflesh Member Posts: 1
    2012 Passat S
    Gray
    Automatic
    Appearance Package
    6,500 miles
    Ex-Demo Car
    Dealer asking $18,288

What should I offer?
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    2012 Passat S
    Gray
    Automatic
    Appearance Package
    6,500 miles
    Ex-Demo Car
    Dealer asking $18,288

What should I offer?

Does the car have air conditioning? VW was advertising 2012 S models for $19995. For that price the car was a manual and did not have air conditioning. Also manual adjusting seats. The dealer in Florida said they couldn't sell a new car that doesn't have air conditioning.

The other thing I would look at is the difference between an S model and an SE. For a little more you get a a power drivers seat....a nice feature. Much nicer interior, including better seats and nicer instrument display.
    If you keep the car for 4 or 5 years you will be glad you paid the small amount extra to have those features.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Absolutely agree on this, the SE is the better value and years from now, you'll be happy you spent a bit more to get a better equipped vehicle. Looking back, I should've listened to my gut instead of my wife and bought the Civic EX for the added features...please, do not make this same mistake as you will regret it. I know I do and did almost immediately...I miss the sunroof right now when the weather here in South Florida is picture perfect. As I've gotten older I've decided to follow my gut more and do what I think is right.

Just a suggestion as driving a vehicle you bought for the wrong reasons will be a bad move and you will always miss what you gave up. Get the SE!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    If you miss the sunroof on your Passat S, have one installed. I bought a 2012 SE, manual 5 speed. Unfortunately VW did not offer a sunroof on that configuration (only with an automatic - go figure!). In any case, I took the car to a shop (car interiors, sunroofs, etc) and they installed a sunroof for me. Cost about $1000, which is about the same as a factory unit costs. It looks great, works perfectly and the shop installed an entirely new headliner in the car, so you have no idea this is not a factory unit.

Get the sunroof and you will then be happy. I love my Passat - great driving car, lots of room (huge back seat), crisp handling, and a large trunk.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • bankboy66bankboy66 Member Posts: 3
    Hi CarMan....what is the current MF and Residual for a 2013 Passat SEL Premium V6. Looking at 36 months with 12K or 15K/year. Thanks
  • kirkkempenkirkkempen Member Posts: 14
    I just started researching a new Passat TDI yesterday, and am somewhat surprised to find that Edmunds TMV price for these cars is significantly below the invoice price. I then confirmed this by getting an Email quote, which was also far below invoice.

Considering the fuel economy and perceived value, I would expect these cars to be selling near list price. I'm not complaining; but what gives?

Are maintenance costs compared to other cars in this class hurting sales, or is there some other explanation? (maybe huge dealer holdback/incentive)
  • vfxcxn0309vfxcxn0309 Member Posts: 1
    I just started searching a place to get 2013 Passat SE with sunroof,,,,i'm currently up North in Toronto, i went for a lot of local dealers, but the price are always crazily high at here, and i also need to pay some other adm fees which makes me extremely uncomfortable. After comparing the price in Canada and US, i think i will go down to the US to get my Passat, Do you guys have any suggestion on that? or where i can go to pick my passat?

thanks
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    Bought a Passat TDI SEL with Monster mat kit, first aid kit, lip spoiler, alarm kit and wheel locks

MSRP: $34,780
    Price paid excluding TTL: $30,600 and includes $500 loyalty. Also, 1.9% financing for 66 months and VW pays up to $500 max on first payment due.

This is the lowest price paid I could find in any forum for this MSRP. I would start with 12% off MSRP and work backwards...most quotes I received were around 9.1% below MSRP and includes the $500 loyalty.
    do it if you can...you have different trims though right? Ours are S, SE and SEL, and you have Highline, etc. Gauges will be different as we are MPH but if the price works out, why not buy here.
  • allan20allan20 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, for the ones looking for a lease 2013 Passat SE (no sunroof), this is what i got this past weekend:

$299/mo (with tax)
    12k/yr
    $0 down - sign and drive.

Good luck!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    "Why not buy here?"

Because VW Canada most likely WILL NOT honor the warranty

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

and looks like the warranty length is different as we get 3yr/36k with maintenance included while canada gets 4yr/48k
  • cristianbncristianbn Member Posts: 9
    I just order a new 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual, black on black. After negotiating by exchanging email with 11 VW dealers in Atlanta, GA area, I got a good deal on it. The MSRP on VW website is 26,225, I was able to get it for 23380$ + Total 789$ dealer fees + 6.5% sales tax = Total price of 25734$ This price also includes carpeted floor mats, free lifetime oil and filter change, lifetime power-train warranty. Other dealers quote me between 23480$-25880$ plus tax.
    In addition to the total price of 25734$, VW have a special offer for April to pay 500$ of your 1st payment, and 36 months 0% Apr. Final price is 25,234$.
    The dealer name is Heritage VW in Union city, close the Atlanta airport.
    Cheers!
  • atlgator1atlgator1 Member Posts: 3
    Good deal you got there! I went auto/sunroof on the same car with my hour long, stop-go commute home every night. If not for that, I would have went manual all the way. Also got about 13% under MSRP like you with a $600 dealer fee, Gunther up in Buford. See you on 400 one day?
    edited April 2013
    I will see you on 400 as soon as I get it. I've placed the order on April 8th and I've been told that will take about 2 months before I get it. I found very difficult to negotiate and deal with Jim Ellis dealers. The best deals I've got were from Nalley VW and Heritage (where I bought it from). I love driving manual..it is more fun, I feel like a have more control over my car and MPG, it is simple so less things that can go wrong, it is cheaper and my fiancee can't drive it ;-)
    Cheers!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Drove a couple of these puppies at work today and they are nice but I prefer the smaller more nimble Jetta honestly. But the Passat is a nice piece of work for folks who don't want to spring for an Audi 4. Didn't like the dash or the seat fabric, just too spartan for my tastes. But do see plenty of these and Jetta's here on the roads of South Florida.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• wies1wies1 Member Posts: 14
    I will be purchasing a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem with black exterior. I am debating between the beige leather interior or black. I opt to go black because of keeping it looking nice, but the beige also looks nice with the black exterior. Any complaints or suggestions with the beige and keeping it looking new?
  • cfxcfx Member Posts: 1
    As a point of reference for others:

Model: 2013 Passat SE Automatic with Sunroof (and monster mats)
    MSRP: $26,910
    Selling Price: $23,800 (12% off MSRP)

NJ 7% Sales Tax - $1,666
    NJ Tire Fee – $7.50
    NJ 4-Year Registration Fee - $211
    Dealer Fee for Title Work - $60
    Dealer Fee for “Document Preparation” - $150

Total Out-the-Door Cost: $25,894.50

The document fee was the only fee I paid that wasn’t fixed by state law, but it was preprinted on the contract and it’s an amount that I can live with. I financed through my credit union, so my deal doesn’t include any factory incentives.

The dealer was Cherry Hill VW in New Jersey. Hope that helps someone out there. Good Luck.
  • matt_in_stlmatt_in_stl Member Posts: 6
    I've started to shop around a bit for a car. Sort of torn, between the new Accord and the Passat. A friend of mine recently bought the SE w/o sunroof and likes the car a lot (after about 3500 miles). He's let me drive it several times and I like the feel and find it a comfortable car.

In any case, I think if I do the Passat, I'd like to do the TDI. I have received an offer as follows:

Sticker: 28545
    Offer Price: 24987
    State Registration: 38
    Title Processing: 2
    Title Fee: 8
    1 Yr Registration Processing: 3
    Registration Fee: 21
    Lien Fee: 2
    Sales Tex (est): 1861.53
    OTD: 26886

Any thoughts on the overall deal?

Also, I noted that the TDI has electric power steering. Anyone have a comment on the different 'feel' of steering between the TDI and non-TDI (with hydraulic steering)?

Thanks.
  • labuenavidalabuenavida Member Posts: 4
    is that manual or automatic??
    I don't think the SE w/ Sunroof comes with a manual transmission.
    The TDI SE Manual doesn't come with sunroof. All of the automatic TDI's come with Sunroof I don't know about the gas version because I wasn't interested.
  • mona1975mona1975 Member Posts: 1
    Automatic, gas
    MSRP: $28,385.00
    Sales Price: $23,643.00
    out the door - $24,862.08
    processing $395.00
    Tax 3% VA $ 721.14
    Dealer license fee $40.19
    Tags $62.75

Black exterior and black interior. Interest rate 2.5%. Not a great deal. But good reviews on dealer and closer to my home (Karen Radley VW, VA).
  • astallingsastallings Member Posts: 1
    MSRP
    $31,240

Price from dealer in Fayetteville NC
    26000 base
    489 admin (BS)
    730 sales tax
    56 NC tag
    27275 out the door
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I have a 2012 SE Manual (2.5 gas) and I wanted a sunroof, and VW does not offer a sunroof with manual (why not?). I took the car to an aftermarket installer in my area and for about $1000 had a sunroof installed. They did a great job, put in entirely new headliner to the job looks factory done.

If you like the manual, don't let the sunroof issue stand in the way.

Car now has 18,000 miles, zero trips back to the dealer (other than oil changes). Quiet, great handling, rattle free, roomy, comfortable seats and a great HD FM radio.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • vadcvadc Member Posts: 8
    Hi, looking for passat SEL ( something similar to Honda Accord EX-L) and like to know if some one bought it recently and how much paid or should I pay (break up please if you can)

Thanks.
    I just wanted to post my deal for others. I think I did very well, and was able to take advantage of the fact that one dealer has two locations nearby -- but they don't cooperate, separate businesses entirely.

MSRP: 29340
    Sale Price: 25623
    Trade in: 11500

Sale Price
    Trade Difference: 14123
    Dealer Charges: 199 ( I know,I know, but I talked them up $1000 on the trade-in)

Final Price: 14322
    Sales Tax: 852
    Window
    Tinting: 199

I had applied and was approved for 1.74% at PenFed, but gave the dealer a chance to meet or beat. I ended up with 1.44% for 60 months through VW.

I think I got good deal. I was able to get the high end for my trade-in and a nice starting discount.
  • redroker77redroker77 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I wanted to know if I am getting a good deal. I have been offered a 2013 VW Passat Se/Sunroof for $21,580. I believe the MRSP is $26,640. The only problem is That my trade-in I'm getting a low value. I did go to Carmax and get a higher appraised value , Which the dealership said was good and they would cut me a check (Paid to CarMax) for the difference for what I owe. That difference which is $5000 would be added to the cost of the car. Any opinions, suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • mh111mh111 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I'm back in the market looking at a base passat TDI SE 6MT. I was wondering what the going price was to start negotiating. I saw $2500 dealer cash through the end of the month. Invoice is about 25,000. Thanks
  • lavjrlavjr Member Posts: 18
    Guys I receive the following offer is it a good deal please?

I live in Miami, FL.

The MSRP of the Passat SE with Sunroof TDI is $29,665.

Selling 24608

Here is a break down of everything that goes into that number:

Dealer Fee $ 699.00
    Battery Fee $ 1.50
    Tire Fee $ 5.00
    E-Registration $ 49.95
    Private Tag Agency $ 20.00
    Tax $1,527.93
    Tag Transfer $ 250.00
    New Warranty Enforcement $ 2.00

Thank you,

Luiz
  • acaderacader Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just started negotiations on a 2013 2.5L SEL. We started at $0 down + taxes, title fees, and $425 x 36 months. After the first round, we are at:

Out the door = $31,225
    Money Factor = 0.00065
    Residual 51%
    12K Miles per year.
    $378 per month.

Are the residuals and money factor correct for a 2013 Passat SEL? I'm hoping to be at $320 x 36. If I am able to bring it down to that, is it a good deal? Thanks.
  • goirish2goirish2 Member Posts: 18
    CarMan-

I'm currently leasing a 2012 VW CC and my lease is up in mid-August. I'm looking at a 2013 Passat SE. MSRP of $26,110. I know how to calculate the lease numbers, but was wondering three things (1) what is the residual and money factor for July; and (2) with the dealer cash ($2,500) how much should I be able to negotiate the purchase price, and (3) will there be better deals in August?

Thanks for all the help over the years!
  • 07camry107camry1 Member Posts: 2
    I know this is unrelated, but back in you mentioned printing off a copy of the TSB for your 07 camry. I recently purchased the 07 used and it has all the symptoms the TSB was to fix but I cannot find a copy of the TSB. Do you still have a copy?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited July 2013
    A news reporter is looking to talk with a Volkswagen owner-enthusiast for an upcoming story. If you think you can help, please send a message with your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Sunday, August 4, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kingmeatkingmeat Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    When you add the selling price and dealer fee you're essentially paying 25,307 for the vehicle. I see truecar for Miami has price for the vehicle currently at $24776. I would think an initial offer of $23,300 when added to the $699 dealer fee would put you at $24K, $777 under the truecar price this evening. This is assuming you have excellent credit and you are not trading a vehicle. Please note that the truecar price in different markets is over $1100 different in some cases.
  • steveinstlsteveinstl Member Posts: 1
    Hi Matt, I am in STL and trying to negotiate on 2013 Passat TDI SE (sunroof but no nav) Any suggestions? Were did you get the best deal? Recommend a specific sales person? Any dealers to avoid? Thank you!!
  • leaseornotleaseornot Member Posts: 1
    I was trying to negotiate on buying a 2013 Passat SE but once I figured out how low the car payments will be, I changed my mind to leasing for 3 years. The same dealership trying to sell then offered me the lease deal below and considering July 31, 13 was the last day for lease specials I want to check if I walked away from a good deal?

MSRP: $26,110
    Capital Cost: $21314
    Money Factor: 0.00048
    Residual Value: $13316

Lease Offer (3 Yrs/36k miles): $296/month (all inclusive)
  • sc_cjsc_cj Member Posts: 1
    Found a dealer with a 2012 Passat SEL that they haven't sold yet, now since it's nearly two model years old I was wondering what to offer. From what I've seen online the car depreciates $10k to $12k over that time. Car is brand new with less that 250 miles and had an MSRP of $29,400. What would be a fair offer?
  • vw502vw502 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to maybe purchase this 2013 vw passat, SEL 7726 miles on it. Owned by one person. Carfax shows title issued 2/6/13 then back to dealer on 4/5/13 and it has been for sale there ever since. Price is 23,457.

Over 7000 miles in two months?! What should I offer?
  • acaderacader Member Posts: 2
    2013 SE can be down by another $10-$15 per month. You can still negotiate on the 2013. Seems like Aug is better for Passat. I'm negotiating a 2013 SEL Premium (gas) for about $320 p.m OTD, 12Kmiles, 0 down.

I don't know what the money factor is for Aug.
  • mgnc2014mgnc2014 Member Posts: 1
    I have a dealer down to $19,900 for a 2013 CPO Passat SE with 5k mi on it. They are saying $23, 568 OTD. Should I be excited about this deal. Their internet price was originally $22,000 on the vehicle.
  • zekiribzekirib Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    Got an offer tonight for a 2013 Passat Wolfsburg Edition

I don't have the numbers in front of me but Total due at signing is about 2300 (taxes, fees and first month)

This is 36mo/36kmi

Offer is 350 Per month

Thoughts please?
  • wuyilwuyil Member Posts: 9
    You can rent it from Hertz at weekends. It take you about $10 a day with unlimited mileages. Of course, you need remember the two codes.
    RQ: VSTPTE
    PC: 182092
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I have a dealer down to $19,900 for a 2013 CPO Passat SE with 5k mi on it. They are saying $23, 568 OTD.

How do you get from $19,900 all the way up to $23,568 OTD ? Just how high are the taxes where you live? Here in Texas, you would be looking at 6.25% sales tax ($1,243.75) plus about $250 to $300 for the license plates, filing fees, etc. That should run you about $21,443.75 total, which is more than $2k less than your OTD.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    edited December 2013

If you have been following this topic and discussing a 2014 Passat purchase, please continue here.