Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    what's the deal getting so snippy? i would have assumed you owned a solara as well... think you owe someone an apology
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    If I remember correctly, were you the person who had to give up his Solara, and got the Accord coupe instead?
    If so, how's yer car treating you? (And it's fair-sized coin box?)
    :)
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Got a chance to check out a 02 solara and i have to say i'm not to thrilled about the new front bumper but it really doesn't matter as it is up for a re-design in 03.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    what are you getting on my case for? I only said that because that other guy didn't read the post correctly and he's telling me not to be embarrased or something.
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Today I saw the back of a 2002 Solora and boy the tail lights are ugly!!! I would say they ruined a back of a good looking car.
    yes-- i miss the 99 solara and the jbl radio and the quiet road noise,but am happy with the accord coupe-- that naples gold color doesn't show the dirt at all, and the car seems to "stick" to the road more...

honda has weak radios and tilt steering design is god-awful, and small gas tanks, but gotta love the center arm rest, center storage bin for the cd's, fuel door filler door that holds the gas cap out of the way while re-fueling, and oh, what a coinbox!
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    And the dealer wont cover it under warrenty!!! I have a 2000 SE V6, 27k, and the drivers seat moves back when accellerating. Toyota manager says its wear and tear, and is a frequent compalaint of Camry/Solara owners! I am a 6 foot tall, 165 lbs male, 32 inch waist, those are the stats that the car is designed for, and I cant believe this is not covered under warrenty! I am not too large where it may have broke from weight! Any suggestions???
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    I can't help but notice that Cliffy1 is conspicuous by low profile.... As this be a Solara forum - - - how about this: on a recent trip (Northern California to Bandon, OR and return) the DWP V-6 5-speed averaged just under 31 mpg.....keeping about 65-70 on the clock over 101/20/I-5....all this on mid-grade Union 76 fuel. Enjoy!
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    That sound like crap to me. Like he said, this is a common problem of the Solara! Remember this is a Toyota. Why would "normal" wear and tear take place so soon? Sounds like you need to elevate the situation to a higher level. First talk with the main service guy. If he denies your warranty, the write a letter to him and include the dealer manager and the dealer owner in it. Once the sales guy sees you sent this letter to his superiors, things usually start to happen. It is unfortunate you would have to go this route. Just stay polite and cordial, and you will be suprised of the result.

http://users.ev1.net/~gunpilot/intake

• gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    webguyster- I remember seeing this problem in this thread. You might want to look back. If I recall, there is a Technical Service Bulletin about this problem and it is an easy fix. The dealer will probably have to order the part. The replacement should be no-cost, covered under the TSB. BTW, mine does the same, it just doesn't bother me that much so I haven't complained yet. I'll make sure to do it at the next oil change.
  • kwylliekwyllie Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem with my 99 SLE. The seat would shift back just slightly when accelerating. My dealer fixed it, no questions asked. Your Toyota manager's statement about normal wear and tear sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Actually my post #1099 should have been addressed to silversolara, but I saw your name in the subject line and it ended up in my post. Sorry to annoy you.
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    Toyota follows a 5 year pattern, so we'll see the new Solara in 2004.
    I called Toyota customer service, and they are going to have some area, or regional person get back to me. They asked what I expected from them, and I replied I expect a seat to be repaired, free of charge, as I have never owned a car that has done this. I buy a new car every 1-2 years, so I do not but into the wear and tear thing! I have had every prob with the Solara posted, as a my old screen name was Solara11, and I know from past dealings with Toyota, not to expect much.
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    Before I go in complaining about my moving seat, I have developed a new problem! When turning, my parking brake warning light goes on. Goes off when turning is finished, and car is straight again. Where and tear, or bad sensor, or some other defect. I'll wait until Monday to see! I think my dealer, Schaumburg Toyota, is either poorly trained, or doesnt like warrenty work. I know from experience, that it takes at least 3 trips per problem to get any decent fix, or repair. M friends 99 Camry was in a collison, and they installed her seatbelts backwards, tighting when acellerating, and losening when applying the brakes!?! Took another delare to find this error.
    You don't have a new problem,add some brake fluid to the resevoir.The level is getting low and sets off the light when the fluid sloshes around.
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    When I turn off the radio and just have silence after I start my car...I can hear a sound similar to the CD changer moving.

Anyone get weird sounds from the dash? Happens about every 5 seconds for 1 minute then stops.

Also, anyone hear a click after you turn off the car. The click sounds like the daytime running lights clicking on/off.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it ASAP! I hope I dont a leak in the brake lines!?! Don't get me wrong, with all the complaining, I still like my Solara, not LOVE anymore, but still like! The dealers stink around here, as they are soooo busy. I am still waiting on my call from the rep from Toyota, that the customer service person promised that I would get. Go figure. All I am asking for is a seat that doesn't move back when I accellerate from a stop, and thats wear and tear! I am up to 28,000 miles now, and I am not a large person, where the seat may develop wear and tear, like break from too much weight. I'm 165lbs, so the wear and tear thing is silly to me!
    As the pads wear down,the fluid drops in the master....no biggy :)
  • das01solaradas01solara Member Posts: 9
    Finally got the car in May, after about 10 weeks of waiting for a special order to be delivered. Apparently, the Leather package with the V6 in standard just isn't done in the northeast. Crazy thing was, after all that waiting, when it finally arrived, it didn't have the Leather! They ended up sending it back to port and putting in aftermarket leather there. I was annoyed at first but they assured me they'll cover it like original equipment and I think I like it better than the factory leather (is the factory leather two-tone?) mostly because it's darker.

I LOVE how it rides! I drove to NYC from Boston recently and have never enjoyed the Merritt parkway so much before. No obvious left pull. I wouldn't nominate the coin box for an award, but geez, what's the big deal?

Main problem: The paint and body surfaces seem to be very delicate. What are my best options to "touch up" small scratches? As this seems likely to be an ongoing issue I'd like to have an easy solution for minor cosmetic blemishes. Any tips?

P.S. Thanks to the regulars - you guys have been an invaluable resource before and since my purchase. Especially Cliffy for keeping a thick skin and coming back for more.

dave
    2001 V6 5 spd SE Leather
    I found the TSB for the "Rocking Seat" at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm

Service Bulletin Number: BO01100

Bulletin Sequence Number: 109

Date of Bulletin: 0003

NHTSA Item Number: SB610957

Make: TOYOTA

Model: SOLARA

Year: 1999

Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRIC POWER ACCESSORIES:SEATS

Summary: ON SOME VEHICLES STARTING WITH VIN 2T1CF28P2XC240974, CUSTOMERS MAY FEEL A SLIGHT FORE AND AFT ROCKING MOTION IN THE DRIVER'S SIDE-POWER SEAT UPON ACCELERATION AND DECELERATION. *TT

if you check out some other forums (ie. accord coupe, BMW, lexus) there is quite a bit of complaint regarding 1999 cars on up and their respective paint jobs.
    the standard excuse is that a lot of manufacturer's have gone from a lead-based paint to something else.
    i use touch-up paint (from my dealer) on my 2K Solara - no big deal.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    If it's anything like thepaint issues we have in the airplane industry, switching over to more enviro-friendly paints has made them more brittle, so the chip very easily. It also makes it more difficult for us to get certain color mixes.

Oh well, that's just how it is nowadays.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    At first glance, the new Solara really looks ugly. The current Solara looks much better.
  • curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    3M Automotive makes an invisable car bra product called Scotchcal. It is offered pre-cut to fit the Solara by several companies. One is called Invincashield I believe.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Das01:
    I don't know if you consider Pennsylvania the northeast, but I had more of a problem finding a V6 with a 5-speed than one with Leather. I'm happy I waited. :)
    Canc -
    Having not seen one in person yet, I will hold my opinion, but the pix I've seen of the new Solara allow me to REALLY enjoy my 2K Solara.

Evaddave - I had a tough time finding a V-6 manual with regular seats here in So Jersey. The dealership I went to had two manual trannies on the lot, both with leather seats. After some debate, I figured that I would learn to enjoy it. :)
  • wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    If I special order a car (2002 SE V6 5sp leather, heated seats with invoice of right at $23K), how much over invoice would be reasonable to pay? For sales off a lot, it seems like I keep hearing about $300 over, but I'm not sure how dealer holdbacks and the like are affected by special orders. Also, how long does it take for special orders to arrive?
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    Hi. I was planning on buying a Mustang GT this month but some co-workers convinced me to go for a Japanes car (like Toyota or Nissan) because of thier strong track record. I thought about it and come to realize that I will be happier in the long run. I've decided to go with the Toyota Solara. It will cost me more. At least I know I will be getting alot more car for the money. From the pictures I've been looking at, it looks pretty classy (don't like the spoiler though).

How's your Solaras doing? What do you like or don't like about them? What improvements do you think should be made? How's your gas milage? How many days (or weeks) go buy before you have to gas(city)? How is the interior in person? How good is the sound system? How's the legroom? Thanks for any info.
    I've only seen the recent posting here about the 2003 Solara, which is a bit similar in styling to the next generation Celica (see this month's Car and Driver). I think the current Solara looks more upscale, whereas the new one is more focused on being a sports coupe.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    Please tell me (Cliffy?) that the upcomimg newly redesigned 2003 Solara will have a key-fob remote trunk release!!!!! PLEASE!

PS
    I really do like the new look. Much sportier!
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    FYI, I was poking around on the discussion group menu and came across a group dedicated to Solara droptops at /direct/view/.ee9229e/517. It only saw entries from June through July and then went inactive. It did have a couple of interesting items not addressed here.
    The Solara is going to be redesigned in 2004. This 03 Solara picture is a FAKE photoshopped image. The guy circulating this picture, Vince Burlapp, has been banned from many other sites. He is known to produce fakes.
    The Solara is a much more refined car than the Mustang, and is also a LOT more reliable, based on the bulletin boards and car forums. It is more comfortable, it is better looking, it is quieter and more roomy inside - The back seat is huge! The interior is very well done with quality materials. I especially like the perforated leather used on the seats. The Solara will hold long-term value better than the Mustang as well. The JBL stereo is pretty good for a factory system, but I would add a subwoofer down the road. I get 20-29 mpg depending on how I'm driving (V6 auto). Based on these forums and the fact that there are hardly any used ones for sale, I would say that most Solara owners are VERY happy with their cars. I keep saying I need to sell mine because I really need 4 doors, but is is such a darn good and comfortable car, I just can't part with it yet. Nearly 3 years - not a single repair.

You MUST go drive one - be sure that the silent, super smooth ride is what you are looking for. If you want more sporty handling, you may be happier with the Acura CL or CL-S. Of course you can easily add some of the TRD racing parts from your Toyota dealer as well.

p.s. - I like the spoiler.
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    I was thinking about going for the TRD suspension, but I hear that the ride is a bit harsh, so I will keep suspension stock. However, If there is a way to get rid of the wallowing over bumpy roads without giving up much of the ride quality then I will go that route. Anyway, I think I will go for the TRD supercharger. I will go in test drive one within the next couple of months.
    Does anyone know if Toyota has changed the cupholders for the 2002 year? Also, apart from the exterior styling cues, has anything else changed for the 2002?

Thanks!
    I have the TRD struts and just can't take it anymore. So I'm going to swap over to Tokicos. Order the ones for the Camry or Solara v6 and they will fit. They will be a little more stiff than stock but will handle better and won't float over bumps. You can get them at carparts.com, use coupon code 260101 for 30% off.
  • cooldude1755cooldude1755 Member Posts: 22
    Just in case you haven't seen the commercial yet....

http://www.adcritic.com/content/toyota-camry-solara-car-chase.html

takes a while to download

• hhral0hhral0 Member Posts: 2
    Have test driven several vehicles and my preference this point is an 01 LEV6 with pkg 1 upgrade. Dealer has a demo with 8k miles on it.I would like to make a "fair offer" for this car.Can either take the $750 or low financing. TMV for car in my zip is $22,456. I'm wondering how much to discount the 8k miles. Can anyone be of assistance?
    i would find out how much they charge for going over the mileage on a lease... let's say someone leases for three years at 12000 miles per year, and then turns in the car with 40,000 miles, and thus goes over by 4000 miles, find out how much is charged extra...

let's say the dealer charges 15 cents per mile--- so...

if you're buying a demo with 8000 miles, multiply 8000 by .15 and you get $1200, so deduct $1200.

i'd also try to get a 44,000 mile warranty for free-- not a 36000 mile-- since you're getting the car with 8000 miles on it. just an idea.

that's how I would do it--- but i could be wrong... perhaps others have an opinion.
    I too was just looking at a 2001 Ford Mustang, and thinking about getting rid of ol' 2000 Solara SE V6. Even with the various problems I have had with the Solara, I am sure I would have MORE problems with a Ford. I have had various Fords, always vowing never to buy one again, and had to remind myself that Ford has been known to produce the most dangerous, and recalled cars on the road. The Mustang handled nice, better than Solara, but overall, I prefer a quite ride, as opposed to the noisy, less HP Mustang. The stereo in the Mustang stunk, and unless you upgrade to their premium stereo, which rocks, or go after market, than forget it. My JBL will do. I had a feeling of being in a sport car, with the Stang, but it's interior looks CHEAP, and crowded, and is not as ergonomically correct as the Solara. The cheap plastics in the Mustang really turned me off. It felt like a more solid car than my Solara, but again, it's a Ford. And the Fix Or Repair Daily, AND Found On Road Dead(F.O.R.D.) thing kept racing through my mind!!! It doesn't even have a full size spare, although I never got my alloy wheel as advertised for the 2000 Solara, but at least I got a full size spare! My 2 cents, don't buy a Ford!
    I am SURE that there is some compromise available to give a firmer ride without stiffness. I have not looked, but I see this type of option in many other forums. Slightly stiffer struts without the race car ride. I also believe that going to 17" wheels and 50 series tires will make a difference as well. If I keep the car long enough to wear out the tires, I will consider this, or at least wider, 50 series tires on the stock wheels. This will increase the sidewall stiffness, and provide more nimble steering.

QUESTION TO ALL -
    What's the widest tires anyone has fit on standard wheels? Results?
    The latest hassle! As I was getting ready to get out of my 00 Solara SE V6, I attempted to use the vanity mirror! I have used this mirror, maybe, 10 times, since owning this car, and the light would not come on. I opened and closed it a few times, and the whole mirror came out of the visor!?! The things that hold the screws, cracked in half. I happened to be near friendly Schaumburg Toyota, and since they are open until midnight, I drove into the service department. I waited paitiently, and after about 15 minutes, the service advisor came up and said "OIL CHANGE?" I replied, "No, the visor mirror fell off the visor!" He asked if I would leave the car overnight? I said no, and was hoping to have it looked at tonight. He said "Come on, you have to work with me!!!" I thought he had to be joking. He was not! I then started asking about the "rocking chair", and because I have already brought it to the attention of the DSM, and his manager, and Toyota, that they would not even look at it! I replied that the P.R. person for their dealer was the one who said to have it inspected again. They suggested coming back again, to speak with a DSM, and would not even sit in the "rocking chair"! At this point I am fed up with Toyota bull, and I am going to now suggest to everyone, PLEASE do not buy a TOYOTA! Just today I was tring to talk a friend into a Toyota over Honda, but enough is enough! Any feed back???

P.S. I mentioned the 1999 TSB for the problem, and they replied that the TSB's are VERY specific, and that they would be aware if my car was one of the defective cars. Under the mirror, it is even written 1999, and the build date is in 1999. Perhaps one bad seat slipped through!
  • hhral0hhral0 Member Posts: 2
    VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS RE: A WAY TO DISCOUNT MILES, AS WELL AS YOUR "EXTENDED WARRANTEE" SUGGESTION
  • cunnrcunnr Member Posts: 9
    My driver-side visor also broke in the same place. I use a sunshade for the front window and I think lowering the visor to keep the sunshade in place creates a heat buildup that causes the plastic bracket to melt/break. I simply replaced the screws with longer screws (and screwed the visor into what was left of the plastic bracket) and have had no problems since. I figured a replacement visor would have the same problem.
    It looked simple enough to repair and reinstall. My main concern is that after spending $25,000, I expect SOME things to be repaired under their bumper to bumper warrenty, and I always get a run around. I buy a new car every 1-2 years, and as bad as I thought the other manufacturers, or dealers were, Toyota seems to be just as bad with quality, customer service, and warrenty issues. I think they are the worst when it comes to fixing anything under warrenty. I have yet to have anything break other than my 3 bad batteries, the first year, without some sort of hassle, or argument to have something broken repaired. My friend has a 99 Camry, and had multiple problems with her dome light not shutting off, and her battery going dead if she did not catch it. After several boggled attemptes to repair it, after her 36,000 mile warrenty was up, her Extended Toyota Extra Care Warrenty for 7 years or $100,000 miles, SEVERAL THOUSAND to purchase, no deductible would not fix it, although it had never been repaired properly since it started ocuring in the 20,000 miles range, under warrenty. They seem to be a shaddy company.
    webguyster- It looks like Schaumberg Toyota is giving you the run around. I would go to another dealer and tell them you hope they have better service than Schaumberg. The "rocking chair" problem is a known problem. People on this thread have had their work done without a problem from the service dept. It looks like Schaumberg Toyota has a lazy service dept.