Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• dlubindlubin Posts: 66
    What's the change interval on these? We don't put hardly any mileage on our '01 Montana (6000 in almost 7 months), but I'm assuming there's a time/mileage recommendation.

Thanks!
  • jpc47jpc47 Posts: 62
    There are two of these. Does Pep Boys sell both for $35? Mileage interval for this item is 45,000 miles.
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    Can you go without it ?
    IMHO this filter is useless since I breath or spend a lot more time ouside the car !!!
    In other words can we leave the filter housing empty?
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    The question of the Pep Boys came up some months ago and a reader said they were $35. I concluded it was for the pair as they dont look that complicated to charge double at the dealer.

When I changed mine there was a lot of outside bits caught in the ridges. I have to say that when I replaced them the inside air seemed fresher.

These are made by 3M. If you do not put them in then the outside stuff that comes in will go into the passenger compartment.

I do not get hay fever, but for those who do it may be an issue.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    Auto Zone's web site lists the filters for $30 plus shipping.
  • Order with caution, the web site lists the same 2-Filter set as fitting the Bonneville and Aztek when they are different. In Fact the Bonneville is a single big square.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I checked with my dealership and they have the filter kit priced at 59.95, however i'm going to check out autozone or pep boys for my replacement.
  • does a venture with the touring package ride differently than one without. Is it recommended?
    I saw a 98 Venure for sale at a used car lot for $5800. Was it a former wreck or was it sleeping with the fishes? They said it just was thier savy trading.
  • ....if it seems too good to be true, it probably is....
    JPC, Actually that price may be right depending on the condition of the Venture, did you see how many miles were on it? It probably has well over 100,000 miles and most likely in need of some future repairs, if you're looking to purchase it I'd probably have a mechanic check it out top to bottom.
    The odometer said around 95,000 miles, it wasn't an LS, but it did have power windows, and they offer to let your mechanic check it out.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    Has anyone out there had problems with the power windows? The switch to my drivers side window works very intermittently. (highly annoying at drive thru). Pass side works fine. If there is a quick fix I'd like to know. Also the bottom center storage bin (the one with the slide out inside), door won't stay closed. I can close it, but it will open without lifting handle. There is some felt over the latching mechanism. Is this supposed to be there, it seems like it might latch securely if I removed it, but I'd like some input bofore I try. I'd hate to make it worse. It should matter, but FYI its on an 01 Venture LS ext. I know this could be fixed under warr, but I hate taking it to the dealer and having to leave it all day for minor probs. Had to do it once for the good old "service engine soon" light. Turned out to be they had to reprogram CPS sensor. Other than that, its been 23,000 trouble free miles.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    On the bin problem sounds like someone may have added it to cure a rattle would be my guess. Take it off and see if it stays closed. If it rattles then add some back somewhere else beside at the locking mech.
  • I just bought a 2002 Value Plus Extended. Did not include an electronic Driver information Center. Can I just buy this from a dealer or wreck dealer and install it easily?
  • hfdadhfdad Posts: 29
    lowest price I have found for passenger compartment filters is at autopartsgiant.com, they are $26.93 for 2. I have not bought any yet so I can't speak for their service.
  • Trying to see if anyone else has this problem.

Bought a New 2000 Venture Van last spring.

We had a very dry spring and summer on the wet coast and no problems appeared until the rainy season started.

Now, every time there is a heavy rain the rear fills up with water, you can see it running down the inside of the right corner post and saturating the carpet up to 1/3 of the way to the front.

The dealer said that this was not an uncommon problem and replaced the wiring harnesses to the tailgate, kept the van for 24 hours and dried it out.

The next heavy rain the identical problem occurred, the dealer this time replaced seals and anything else he could find. Kept the vehicle 24 hours, dried it out and we we were on our way again.

Today, we had a heavy rain and the water was pouring down the inside right hand tailgate post again. Back to the dealer again as soon as we can make an appointment.

I believe that the vehicle was just manufactured to very loose tolerances between the tailgate door and the body and that we will be forever stuck with this problem. Any Comments?

Should we dump the Venture and get an import as soon as possible?
    I haven't heard of that problem as of yet, Did you purchase the 2000 Chevy Venture new? I was thinking maybe if you hadn't brought your 2000 Venture new it could have been in an rear end accident and the tailgate door was replaced and was not installed properly. or it could just be that the tailgate just isn't put on correctly to begin with from the sounds of it.
    Do you have previous owner history information on your Venture?
  • I bought my Venture in October of 1998. I had owned a Chev Lumina van for four years prior. The Lumina Van had engine problems shortly after 30,000 miles. It had been in the dealership just two months before for an oil change and service. Then it supposedly blew a seal and required the engine to be rebuilt. The dealership wanted approx. 2500.00 to repair. I was leasing the car at the time and I was livid that it was out of warrantee! I phoned GM and ended up pocketing only about $800.00 of the repair after much bickering with the dealership and GM. Now, I have the 1998 Venture. In the three years I have had it, mostly I have had minor problems. I had electrical problems (all shorted) which the dealership blamed on a defective cellular charging cord. However, this time I bought an extended warrantee. The warrantee fixed all the wiring after I disputed the fact that a brand new cord (just two days old) was extremely doubtful. I too have had intermittant use of the power window switch -- which seemed to go away after I banged on the door. My rear window wiper is making a scratching sound -- it is not the wiper -- and only work some of the time. Last Friday my low coolant light went on. I turned the heat up and it went off. I stopped at a gas station and had the coolant checked. He said the level was to the top in the radiator but the overflow was low which might have tripped the warning light. He didn't carry the 5-year coolant that it required so he suggested I go to K-Mart. I never got that far. That night I broke down. The heat was totally cold, the car was overheating. It was 30 degrees outside and I had my children with me. This service station also did not carry the 5-year coolant. I was desperate to get home. In trying to help, the gas station attendent put the regular type of coolant in -- just to get me home. It didn't work. I ended up having the car towed. The dealership says it's a "lower leak" and will be about a $700.00 repair. Again, and very fortunately, my extended warrantee should cover the repair. However, now I am getting worried. I have seen complaints about the transmissions on this car on other sites. My extended warrantee is up at 72,000 miles and I have 65,000 miles on the car now. Oh yeah, I also had that ticking noise on my Lumina and have the same ticking noise on this Venture. The dealership told me it is normal. But, I don't believe them given what happened to Lumina!

Good luck in your van shopping! Just thought I'd let you know my experiences with the Venture. Too bad, because I've liked the great ride of the car and the generous space as well as the flexibility of the seating. It's been a comfortable family car. But, I'm not sold on it's longevity.
  • I had a salesman tell me that the traction control only works up to 22 mph on the Ventures(assume it's the same for all GM minis).

Does anyone know if this is true? Is it true for all/most minivans as well(Chrysler, Ford, Honda, etc)?
  • GM calls the system on the Vans an All Speed Traction Control Sytem. I would assume in means that. Difference is that the Van style can apply the brakes.
  • Thanks for your comment, the 2000 Van was bought new in the spring of 91 but had sat on the dealer's lot for one year, one of the last two of a large inventory. I tend to agree that it's probably a factory defect in the installation of the tailgate door. Watching the water pour through today in the heavy rain I could easily fit my finger between the tailgate door from the inside and the rubber seal to the outside. I just hope there is a way to fix the problem.
    Sounds like they need to replace the rubber seal around the tailgate door or replace the whole tailgate door itself.
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    I am starting to get vibration over 60 MPH. Its a 97 Venture with 53k miles on it, original tires. Is it time for new tires? I have the General Tires with self sealing leak. I also just had the tires balanced which improved the vibration for about 1000 miles but then its getting back to the original vibration. Any recommendations for new tire brands? I've seen that people have gotten the Michleon Symmetry.

The car has been pretty reliable. The worst problem was a battery going out at 38k miles.

Thanks
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I have heard tell that the self sealing tires can cause this kind of problem. Also how about front end alignment? If I had that many miles on it I would get new tires,balanced of course and a front end alignment. There are places that will do front and rear alignments basically straightening up the whole vehicle.
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    Believe it or not we've never had the wheels aligned. I've been impressed with how well this car has performed given all the bad press.

Thanks
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    One of the other reasons for vibration is that the tires start to "cup", especially if they have not been systematically rotated. Looks as if you have got good mileage out of them.

Have just fitted new Michelin Symmetrys all round and ride well on highway.Wal-Mart $85 plus lifetime/tax

In the snow we have just got on Sunday, very good combined with the traction control and antilock brakes.
  • My 2000 Venture's hood is made of fiberglass. Were earlier models the same I wonder?
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    not fiberglass, but aluminum
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    I recently read a review on the 02 Venture, which stated the hood and roof are made from aluminum. I don't know for sure, but I would assume this applies to all Ventures back to 97 since there have been no significant design changes. Also just FYI all other body panels are made from galvanized steel.