Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Yes thats what I was refering to when I said I haven't heard of this problem until now, I would think the owners would have the leak fixed under warranty if the van was purchased at a dealership and is still new or still under warranty coverage. the leaking problem isn't on all Chevy Venture vans, and its sure a far cry from having your transmission or head gasket replaced on the competitors vans.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    The main leak posting has been related to water ingressing into the jack well. The cause of this seems to be water getting via the two rubber wiring boots under the hatch back. This is cured by putting sealant under the lip of the two boots.

I also recall poor sealing of weld seams around the wheel arches.

In repsect of the rear side windows, not sure if it is the power operated or manually done. There must be some form of adjustment to tighten the glass against the rubber seal.
    Glenn:

I think you will find that most Venture owners that post on this site are more than satisfied, in overall terms as to the performace of the van.

As it was just recently posted, none of the GM van sites have specific problem sites unlike all the others.

I find it quite ironic that Consumer Reports always votes up DC, Toyota, Ford and Mazda, but loves to slam GM vans.

The 3.4 liter engine in the van is a little noisy under acceleration, but on highway it cruises effortlessly at 65/70 mph. Transmission is very smooth as well.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I'd say it cruises effortlessly at 80mph, too. And it gets much better gas mileage and twice the range of Honda Odyssey.
    Tomek
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Our 97 Venture extended has 54,000 miles on it with no major problems. The biggest problem was the battery going out at 37k miles. Did have some problems with the electric sliding door not closing intermittently but since the new battery have not had the problem. I think we got a bad battery initially. It's been a great van. Very versatile. Held the two of us, our three kids and a dog with all the required luggage to Florida (1000 miles one way) and back with no problems.
  • hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I have a 99 Venture, only money put into it so far has been for oil changes and rear brake adjustment. I have 33,000 miles on it and will probably need new tires by next winter. Had 2 Ford vans and like the Chevy better. Happy so far with it.
  • victoriaboyvictoriaboy Member Posts: 6
    Some some white stuff this morning on the van, neighbours think its snow but are not sure, they've never seen it before. (Just rubbing it in for my Canadian cousins)

Anyway, probably my last post on this forum, at least for vans anyway. Thanks to all those who had suggestions.

Continuing my epic on the leaky 2000 Venture Van, the dealer after 5 tries now absolutely positively, guaranteed that there would be no more water leaks. They kept it for a week and alternately flooded and dried it. All gaskets and seals replaced and three welded seams repaired, all around the upper right rear tailgate post.

While I did not doubt their belief, having sleepless nights wondering what could be the next problem resulted in taking the van from their repair shop immediatly up to the next Chev dealer up the road and trading it in on a near new Olds Alero GL V6 with every option exc lthr and sunrf..

Wholesale value slightly higher than the Van so they agreed on an $800 (Can)$480(US)profit for doing the paperwork and maybe selling the van for a better markup. Our van is listed wholesale at $17,290 (Can) $10,374 (US).
    The Alero is wholesale priced at $17,995(Can)$10,797(US)

It was funny that the best our original dealer could do on a trade was a 1999 Malibu LS that in my Black Book Canadian Equivalent to the US Kelly Blue Book was listed at $12,200 (Can)$7300 (US). DiD they know something about their van we did'nt??

Both my wife and myself feel a lot better and hope we do not have to show up on the "Alero" forum. Hope the rest of you have happy "vanning", it does not seem to be in the cards for us.
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    Does anyone know what the tow package for the 98 Venture consists of? I'm looking for a transmission cooler and air shocks, preferably aftermarket. Do I need to go through Chevy?
    Found what I needed in J.C. Whitney catalog on line. Gabriel makes the shocks.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    In addition to the load leveling system (which can be handled by the air shocks mentioned), the towing package consists of a larger radiator (with a larger transmission cooler included) and a water cooled engine oil cooler. If you go aftermarket, I would add both a transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler to best match the factory system.
    Thanks Hardesty, I'll look into it. Would synthetic oil help?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Chevrolet Vans Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Vans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Just a suggestion - if you're going to look at the Venture, you ought to pull the Montna and Silhouette boards in as well, as they're all basically the same vehicle.

-Dan L.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    lets call it GM minivan club !
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Is GM taking $2002 off of the MSRP or off of the final offer? (If it is off of the MSRP, that is not a good deal really)(vs. the 0.0%) Just wondering if anyone has used this incentive on any GM. Thanks in advance.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    $2,002 rebate off the final deal. Also can get 5.9% apr here in the Northeast.
  • topptopp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Venture (still under warranty but only until Feb.22, 2002.) The engine has started to knock badly when its first started in the morning. It stops in about 3 to 5 minutes. The dealer says the 99,2000 and 2001 all have a coating on the pistons that is coming off. They have a service bulletin on the 2000's and 2001 and fix those but not the 1999. They did put STP or something in my car but they won't fix it. Any suggestions on what if anything I can do. I think I need help. Tanya
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    Topp, A recall is a known defect that will repair your vehicle for free. A TSB is just a notice to their own mechanics on how-to fix this problem if they do encounter this particular problem. Chevy is under no obligation to fix for free, unless the NTSB feels that there are high # of complaints, and at which time they can turn it into a recall. Since your warranty is almost out, I suggest you call Chevy directly and start a case #, so at least your problem is documented. Don't let the first customer agent shut you down, because that's their job. Last time I had go go up 2 levels before a manager gave me what I was looking for. I would also contact your service manager and see if they can cut you a break. Good luck!
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    You can also go to a different dealer,you may find a whole different attitude.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I was looking at the current GM Canada value van ads. C$22498 for a pretty well loaded regular wheelbase Venture. The only thing missing is cruise control. Anyone know if this can be added or would I have to go after market?

http://www.gmcanada.com/NASApp/offersearch/OfferDetailsServlet?oid=25902&lang=en&pc=L6M2Z6&f=1&showminimal=&showOnly=

The running light on my 98 venture died last week.This is the daytime running light with the amber bulb. About the same time I noticed that the turn signal started acting funny, going much to fast. Then the light started working again. Today it was out. Anybody know what might be wrong?
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    In South Carolina, installed aftermarket cruise using a GM-type turn-signal-stalk module is $300. You might try calling car stereo stores; they do this kind of work.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I am not sure about the Venture specifically, but on other GM Vehicles I've owned, when the turn signal is blinking too quickly, it means there is a burnt out bulb. This is the vehicles way of alerting you to the problem. Replace the bad bulb and it should go away.
    Thanks Catam, I'll try it. Just as a general comment, I've gone over all the posts in this thread, and people are commenting on how great their vans are with 10 and twenty thousand miles on them. I should hope so! Let's see at a hundred and two hundred thousand!
    I had the same problem on my Venture when my front left turn signal bulb went out, the blinker will blink very fast everytime you try and use it letting you know the daytime running light is out.
  • victoriaboyvictoriaboy Member Posts: 6
    I traded in my new Value Van but just happened to cruise by my old posts (No pun intended).
    My dealer had an after market cruise installed as part of the purchase offer and it works fairly well, not as well as the pre-installed GM controls though on steeper roads, but certainly satisfies freeway and normal Highway driving.
    I think you may be paying too high for a Value Van though. I paid for one sitting on a lot, brand new still but one year old, $20,998 (CAN) including cruise, CD and a couple of other dealer or after market options I asked for.
    Give your dealer a counter offer.
  • safetyguy2safetyguy2 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had a problem with the shoulder harness clip, coming undone, on the built-in child safety seats on 1998-2000 Ventures? Specifically, the clip snaps together, but it opens with very little force and without the need to squeeze the release.
  • leihua5264leihua5264 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks, I know you've probable read alot of the venture leaking, well here is one more.

We purchased a 2000 Chevy Venture Back in October 1999, What a wonderful van it was. you couln't beat the gas milleage on it.

After the first week of owning our Chevy Venture, it down poured really heavy. Didn't think nothing of it, till I went to drive it. As we started out it seemed ok, till we made that left turn, then all the water started gushing out from under the dash board on the passenger side.

To make a long story short, and many repairs, I filed the lemon law and won my case. They tore my venture into peice and had it 30 days, still could not figure out how it was leaking. Beleive me if they could guarntee me another venture that did not leak, I would have replace it with another one. I ended getting me a 2002 TrailBlazer.
    safetyguy2, I have had similar problem with my 2001, although I don't believe it's Chevy problem, for once. My daughter thinks she can undo the shoulder strap herself, so she pulls without squeezing the release. Needless to say, now the release has little spring left, so it open very easily.

leihua5264, It's unfortunate it had to come to you waving the lemon law flag, but I am glad to see you victorious. Luckily I have had no major problems yet with 11K miles. We'll see when it hits 36.1K miles. Chevy wonders why buyers are looking for quality and extended warranties, when they are only offering 36K miles?? When they start to build a quality product, people will buy.
  • autotech1955autotech1955 Member Posts: 2
    jints2282: I was a little baffled that you don't believe the easy clip opening is Chevy's problem. Aren't we talking about the built-in child safety seats that are ordered as an option from Chev? It seems like Chevy should be responsible for all of their standard and optional equipment.

As a side note, the clip is extremely important, in that it correctly positions the straps on the child's shoulders. Severe injuries can occur during a crash if the straps are not on the shoulders.

Sorry if I sound a little preachy, but we see a lot of junk car seats (in our shop) that offer little, if any, protection for kids.
    I have a 2000 Chevy Venture and recently noticed my steering wheel squeaks every once in a while when you're turning it either to the right or left, does anyone know if theres a remedy for this without going through the hassle of taking it back to the dealership?
    The wife informed me that while driving our 2001 WB with power slider passenger door, the latch was clicking, attempting to lock, when the car was in motion. I asked for details, but didn't get too much info, so decided to take it out for a drive. Sure enough, after 5-10 minutes of driving, a clicking sound was heard every 2-3 seconds, as if though someone was pressing on the lock button of the remote control. It lasted for about 15-20 seconds, then stopped. Park the van in the garage, then I heard the clicking sound again. It seems like every door is trying to lock every 5-10 seconds. I check all 5 doors, and there was no obstruction. Closed the door, didn't lock it, and waited. About a minute later, all doors latched locked automatically, and the headlight flashed once (if locked by remote, light flashes twice). I purposely left the window open to see if I can unlock from inside, but no luck. I tried different combinations, but all with same result, the latching click would occur every 5-10 seconds again. Didn't want the battery to drain, or cause some other problems, so I disconnected the battery. Can't wait til Monday and see what the dealer have to say about this.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I had a Pontiac 6000 STE once that did something silmular. What I found was that one of the outside key lock cyclinders was partialy turned, causing the automatic locks to try to cycle. The vans use a simular key activated locks. Might try locking and unlocking the van by the keys and make sure the openning is straight up & down.
    I have a 98 Venture that when started has a ticking noise in the engine. The engine seems fine otherwise, it has about 50,000 miles on it. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Does the ticking just occur on start up then go away, quickly or does it persist anytime the van is idling.
    My first guess would be that you have a possible valve adjustment problem. If it only occurs at start up, it may be the lack of oil above the rockers allowing some chattering to occur.
    The valves are generally easy to adjust once you get to them. However, if the offending valve is on the rear cylinder bank next to the firewall, you may have to pull the whole engine just to get at the problem.
    May not be worth it to even bother.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    Hi Catam. My wife just pulled in and there was no ticking.
  • welk443welk443 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2001 venture with 6000 miles on it. Since I bought it I hear a noise any time the vehicle moves coming from the driver side sliding door. I have had it at the dealer 3 times for the problem, today being the third time. the service manger told me today they can't fix the problem b/c it is structural. The reason for the noise is b/c the body rolls over the road and it causes the door to rub against the frame. He says it is b/c of a lack of support around the door frame. he said even if they give me a different van I will still have the problem. My friend has a 2001 and has no noise like my van makes. Does anybody elses van make a noise similar to mine? Does anyone think there is any truth to the service managers explanation? Any ideas on a better way to contact gm then thru their web site?
    I think the dealer is giving you a real run around.

The obvious thing to be done is to have the door reset. In fact in our 2000 after I picked it up there was a work sheet in the drivers side sliding door from the factory specifying that the door be re hung beofre final production.

I would try another dealer or take it up with GM.
    Well since it is a problem only at start up, I personally would just try my best to ignore it. Without having heard the sound, I still believe it is a valve problem. Because the Venture has a pushrod engine, and hydraulic lifters, I don't believe this will really create any reliability issues down the road. The problem goes away after start up so one there is sufficient oil pressure in the system the valve is going to open essentially normally.
    There are 2 things you may want to try, next time you change your oil use a full synthetic with 0W-30 oil. See if this has any impact on the problem.
    Second, the next time you have near a good mechanic for any reason, ask them to give you a possible diagnosis.
    It could be something else, but if this is your problem, I don't think it is worth the effort or expense of fixing.

As for the body roll problem for Welk, I agree with offham, Take it to another dealer, and then GM if it persists.
    Thanks Catam, I don;t think it is sufficent reason for a big expense in getting to the valves. To be on the safe side though, I'll run it by my mechanic.
  • mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    Starting to pick up a little rocking motion on our Venture. It's not used for hauling (as we have a pickup for that), but sometimes we have to haul home what we buy so it's not out of the question either.

Anybody out there replaced their shocks and have recommendations on brands and models?
  • ern35ern35 Member Posts: 11
    I'm not really sure where this question would fit in, so I'll try here.

I will be renting a van in May to drive cross-country, (East coast to AZ and back)and according to the rental company, it will be a Chevy Venture or similar vehicle. I am not at all familar with vans, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what else is similar to the Venture. I am renting from AVIS, and I believe they stick with GM/American made.

Thanks in advance.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Why didn't you just ask them why you had their attention? My guess is any other van made from somewhere in the world.
    The similar vans are Oldsmobile Silhouette and Pontiac Montana. These vans are all essentially identical except for certain optional features.
    I had rented a van from Avis for the same reason, it ended up being a Silo. I liked it enough that I ended up buying a Venture shortly afterwards. Enjoy your trip, and FYI the GM trio are rated at the highest gas mileage of all minivans.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Could be a DC van too. Sometimes there idea of a similar product may not even be a van.
    I used to have a creaking sliding door on my Dodge Caravan, and I had to have the door aligned and reset several times by the dealer, I now have a 2000 Venture and haven't heard a creak or any sliding door noise since i've had it, they seemed to be constructed quite well, I hope they cure you're creaking sound.
    Took the van in last Monday. 2 days and $250 (3 hours of diagnostics and 40 miles of test drive)later, they said although they heard the clicking, they couldn't reproduce the problem, so they told me to come back if the problem re-appeared. Luckily the $250 is billed to Chevy for warranty work. On Friday, it happened again. Dropped it off yesterday, and they found the Body Control Module (BCM) to be shorted internally, which cause the locks to latch erractically. Half hour worth of labor ($40) and a new BCM module ($142), I am back in business. The only difference I have noticed is that it seems the last door lock function is now engaged. Before this work, if I leave the doors unlucked the previous night, the doors remain unlocked until the next day. Now it seems after a short while, the doors lock automatically. I read the instruction on programming this function, and it sounded pretty complicated.
    Had venture at another dealer. they also called gm technical assistance told them it is a structural problem not enough support to span 2 sliding doors across from one another they are working on a fix. Called gm they told me it is a "characteristic of the vehicle" and each vehicle has its own characteristics and they can't do anything for this. I asked if this was a safety concern b/c of the structural problem and no one will answer me. both service managers told me they have other customers with the same complaint . Is any one else having this problem? Who should I contact for satisfaction ? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Hi, Did the dealership attempt to re-align the door or do any adjustments? thats what my problem was on my Dodge Caravan, after the doors were re-aligned they were fine, I think its more of a flaw from the factory than a characteristic of the van, i've been in a few different Venture's and never noticed any sliding door noise. Even on my Venture I never had sliding door noises.
    No they didn't. Offham suggested that too. I asked the 1 st dealer to do it and he told me that if that was the problem technical assistance would of told them to do it. They said that being a structural problem it wouldn't make a difference if door was re hung. I am at wits end dealing with GM made 4 phone calls today to clear it up and no one can give me satisfaction. Any idea who to contact at GM that could help? Is there a middle man from gm that can listen to the noise and determine the appropriate action to take or does gm rely on their dealerships to do this? any help would be appreciated.