Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    If it is really truely as nice as described, $3500 is a fair retail price. No demolition derby in Kmart's parking lot, bumper scrapes or scratches, no signs of underbody rust at all or paint fade.

Florida is also the place that usually has its fair share of relatively low mileage, Grandpa hardly ever drove it, large cars.

You are not looking for a car, are you? It would make a good keep in the family kind of drive mobile.

FYI were it here, it would have an amount financed of $4000 with the $500 down at a super low 19% interest. The joys of buy here pay here.
  • cstowecstowe Posts: 96
    OK...in my quest for a more "responsible and baby-friendly" sedan I have a line on a Silver 2003 Acura TL with a spoiler and slider wind deflector but no navi, no Type-S and 10,500 mi here in beautiful Tulsa, OK

basically a "base" TL but the only option in 2003 was the nav

The salesman said it was a recent trade from an older gentleman who got a new 04 TL

He is hitting me at 25,900 WITH a Acura Certification included.

Given a choice I would really rather have the Type-S and the Navi but they are just not as common and I would like to do something with 1-2 months.

Terry, what say you?
  • moeronnmoeronn Posts: 34
    Terry - I just wanted to updated you regarding my trade in. In post 17542 I posted the details about my 97 Outback with (now) 101k miles and had some extensive body work done. Your post 17559 kind of scared me and I didn't think I would get more than $2.5k or so for it. I took it to CarMax last night and they appraised it at $4,300. If my girlfriend and I had a way home from the lot, I would have signed the paperwork right there and never looked back. I'll be taking it back this weekend and counting my blessings. Thank you father ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,539
    This car stickered for .... I think $29,500.. and had an invoice price of right around $27000. At the end of the model year, last fall, I believe there was a $1500 mfg to dealer incentive on the car as well. If I remember correctly, and I might be off by $500 here or there, people on this board were reporting buying these brand new last October for $25,500-$26,000.

I'm sure Terry can give you specifics on the actual market.. But, my guess is this is about a $22,000-$23,000 car. Maybe the certified warranty makes it worth a little more.

Just my $.02,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• iontrapiontrap Posts: 138
    As the title says, I have a 2000 Camry LE I4 w/88K it has ABS, RS3200 and CD. What would a realistic price to ask?

Thanks
  • automan227automan227 Posts: 118
    you need to tell terry where your car is located, any body work thats been done to it, and anything wrong with it now (cosmetically or mechanically).

AS
    Forgot to give that info. The car is located in Georgia (Augusta). The trunk lid and rear bumper were replace because of a rear end accident, the damage was approximately $3300.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    Terry - By the off chance that you're sitting by your comp on a beautiful Saturday instead of watching the tourney, I need you opinion. Deal in the works right now and need to tell them by closing tonight 6pm EST. A buyer is already lined up for Monday (friend of a friend so I know it's legit) so this is my only shot.

2003 C4S Coupe in Atlanta
    Midnight Blue/ Graphite Gray leather
    Sport Exhaust
    PSM
    Bose
    Handshaker
    Aluminum Pkg
    Heated Seats
    2400 miles

http://hennessy.porschedealer.com/preowned_cars/inventory/info.ph- - p?inventoryid=94475

Want $77500 (listed now @ $79,800, original MSRP $92,000)) and will give me $39K for my boxster S (2003 loaded)

I initially passed as I was not planning on spending this much but...... now I'm considering. My max is a $35K difference, is this feasible? or just plain offensive?

BTW, a recent survey I filled out for this dealership for Porsche NA was printed in Porsche NA's quarterly report and because of it they were awarded some $$$ and some extra stuff. The service mgr, who deserves it(not the GM), said in 15yrs of Porsche service this has never happened to him and he is literally bouncing off the walls. You'd think because of something like this they would be lenient with me on price but their GM is something else!

thanks for the promptness
    fo
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    Hey Terry. I'm baaaaack! :-) It may be "buy a new vehicle or two take a hit on depreciation" time. The wife wants a minivan (don't ask), so I'll probably sell the Honda (already have 2 potential buyers, just need a fair price) and take her '96 Avalon as my daily driver. Looking at a Mazda MPV LX (she doesn't want leather this time) which currently has a $2k rebate.

Also, really like the new Acura TL, so considering trading the Lexus, but that's still iffy, at least until there are better deals to be had on the TL w/ Navigation, and I'm sure I want to make the change. The TLs are still pretty hot. Would also consider selling The Lexus myself, but not a lot of people have that kind of money sitting around for a private sale, and there is the tax break to consider.

Columbus Ohio area.

At this instant, my website seems to be down, so you may not be able to view the pictures.

'99 Lexus LS400, black on tan. moonroof, heated seats, CD changer, HID lights, 50% tinted windows. Decent condition, no accidents according to carfax, but paintwork on the right rear door. There is a scratch (about 1") on the right rear quarter panel. Typical stone chips on the front. Clean interior except for a carpet stain under the left rear floor mat. 40k miles, and still running great. I don't know if I can give up that smooth V8, but new technology and a pristine paint job are calling to me. I need to stay away from auto shows. :-)

http://qwalls.net/images/99lexus.jpg

'93 Honda Accord SE, dark green on tan, new tires & exhaust, AC runs cold, power moonroof, windows and doors, CD changer, BOSE stereo, alarm w/ keyless entry, 150k miles, average condition for its age. Paintwork (color matches well, but easy to spot) on the hood, and left front fender and driver's door. (A deer ran into the side of the car and rolled over the hood.) Also a few problems, it will need a driver's door window track (had to do the same thing on the '91, may take a couple tries to get an airtight seal when rolling it up),the rear window defogger seems to be on the fritz, and one of the speakers is blown (currently disconnected. I was thinking about $2500-3k as is, or ~$3500 if I get the items fixed? One of the potential buyers bought my last two Hondas when I sold them. Anyway, I only paid $2500 for it, so I figure worst case, I drove it 2.5 years for free. :-)

http://qwalls.net/images/93accord.jpg

Sorry about the book. :-) As usual, thanks, and take care. You're awesome!

Q
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Terry and others,

Another car to sell (and perhaps the last of the year).

2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE Sedan
    3.8 Litre 3800 series 8 V-6
    Dark Bronzemist metallic exterior
    Taupe interior

Dual Airbags
    Remote keyless entry
    Leather wrapped steering wheel
    Leather bucket seats
    Air conditioning with dual zone
    AM/FM Stereo with cassette and CD
    Traction Contro;
    Rear Spoiler and fog lamps
    Rally gages and tachometer
    On Star

Interior - very clean
    Exterior - no dings or dents BUT .....

A deer ran into the passenger side of the car a few months back denting both doors and the front and rear fenders (and survived).

Took it to the best body shop in the area and they did a great job. I can't tell where the damage was but I don't look at a thousand cars a week.

Two questions:

1) If I sent it to the auctions, what can I expect to see for it??

2) What would be the retail on this car?

I may bid on the car also. It is a sweet ride.

58k miles
    Chicagoland area
    Couldn't pass up the deal offered on a 4Runner. The dealer gave me $7k for my Camry, about $100 more than my payoff. I'm definitely happy.
  • odyenvyodyenvy Posts: 6
    I'm considering downsizing from my gas guzzling 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition to a midsize sedan and am feeling the hurt on trade-in offers from various dealers. Any input on what is a realistic figure that I should shoot for would be much appreciated.

The details:
    --'02 EB Exp.
    --immaculate shape (no dings, cracks, scratches, glass problems, etc)
    --just under 30K miles (i.e., still in warranty)
    --all the bells and whistles (e.g., 6 disk CD, cassette, entertainment package, reverse sensor, second row airbags, homelink, luggage rack, etc, etc, etc)
    --tires are probably at about 50%
    --located in Houston, TX

Dealers have quoted me between $20K and $21K, and CarMax offered $22.5K a couple months ago.

Suggestions?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ........ I hope your still not home reading this ..

If you can get $4,300 for it "real money", then be there - cuz' thats ALL the "jack", Jack ............. :)

Terry.
    ........ Hey Q-Man .. welcome back to the Comedy club, I will get back with you a little later after a finish a few of these ...

Terry ;-)
    .......... The miles are low for the year, actually really low for any year, it's a 6 banger and we have some tunes .. if it's a nice one, clean, no watch me do some rollovers, then trade side in and around the $13ish range .. $14 if you have been going to church alot and the barometric pressure is going your way ... down Retail Rd, $15,9 *asking* and cut it loose for $14,9/$15,5 ...

Terry.
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    Good to be back. I see they are keeping you busy here.

Q
  • odyenvyodyenvy Posts: 6
    Sorry, Terry, just realized I forgot to give a couple of important details on the '02 EB Expedition--it has the 5.4L V8 and does NOT have 4x4.

Thanks.
  • Terry
     Looking at a 1998 Durango in snowy Columbus, Oh
     here are the specifics:
    Durango SLT plus
    Red
    4X4
    82.2 k miles
    5.9 engine
    leather, 3rd row, cd/cass
    the big black donuts (tires)are missing about half of their frosting
    there is evidence of a recent invasion by the combined armies of McDonalds, taco bell and
    7-11
    Neither the front or rear air is blowing cold
    The front end is loose, 4wd works well
    All the electricals work

You may be wondering why I have interest in this. It was a trade in at a local dealer, they were going to wholesale it but will sell to me at 6k

Is this price good? What do you think it would go for at auction.

Thanks in advance
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Posts: 58
    The '03s had about $12500 in end-of-model-year rebates off MSRP so if you are paying $77k for one w/ 2400 miles, they need to be offering absolute max retail on your trade...seeing '03s now in the low 70s...

check out the classfieds at http://www.roadfly.org/porsche/

http://www.roadfly.org/porsche/classifieds/cars/listads.php?cat=1- 57

my two cents...
  • smd5smd5 Posts: 18
    I am looking for a value on my 1999 BMW 528i automatic, silver with gray, premium pack and cold weather pack. It has 62,000 miles and is BMW certified until 5/05. I live in NY State.
    Warning, Danger, Danger Will Robinson.

A/C probably has a bad condensor coil in the dash leaking out the Freon, you are looking at $1200ish to have it repaired, no matter what the normal failure of the A/C.

Front end, starting with bad ball joints, who knows how far the damage went depending on how long they drove it with those loose. Usually under $400 to $1000 to repair depending.

Given the apparant poor maintenance on the vehicle, better have the Dodge Slip-o-Matic transmission checked out. If it slips at all between ships, or studder shifts, when cold or when hot, may have been used for towing and not taken care off at all.

Is it a deal? To get it working and driveable (safe) you will have what, around $8000+ in the Durango (maybe lots more). You will wind up with the old style Durango as well, no Hemi. Plus all of about 10 MPG mixed driving. Will they let you take the vehicle to have it inspected?
  • abileneabilene Posts: 4
    Terry, it is amazing that you take the time to help so many people like this! I'm a new guy here looking to get a full-size pick-up and to do so I'll need to trade-in my Chevy Lumina APV. It's a 1995 with the five passenger seating. It the LS version, with PW, PL, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM/CASS, Alloy wheels, Roof Rack, etc. I've got about 104,000 on it and it runs great. Regular oil changes and no real problems except for intermittent wiper failure which seems to be normal in many GM models. The paint is a dark green and it as really oxidized on the roof only. Otherwise just normal wear and tear on a 9/10 year old vehicle. I live in Abilene, TX. Thanks for any help or insights you can provide!

-Eric
    Sounds kind of rough: oxidized and fading paint, 100K+ miles, stuff doesn't work, don't forget about the no sale green. Top it off and it is not even a 6 or 7 seater minivan.

I would say fix the intermittent wiper problem, give it a good detail, bring the maintenance up to date and put it in the paper for, lets say around $3500 and send it packing at any offer around $3000.

Trade side consider yourself lucky to get anywhere near/over $2000 ACV for it as she sits.

Terry has been kind of on vacation lately, maybe spring break or March madness. But at least we do a lot of these low end rough but running old vehicles for the buy here pay here crowd.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    2003 Porsche Carrere (C2) not the big dawg
    6000 miles Blk/Blk 6speed
    Greenville, SC
    Technic Pkg (Xenons, Bose, Pwr Seats)
    18" wheels
    Spoiler
    Haevn't seen it but owner states it is "flawless"

might buy this weekend if everything looks right
    listed for $62,900 by private party

what's fair for both sides?

thanks Terry et al
    frank

ps - that C4S sold right after I left the dealer. The guy traded in his C2 for $60000 then they called me later that day saying they would sell me his traded-in C2 for $1500 over their cost at $69,000. I laughed and politely said no thank you. Unfortunately it's all about the money these days. So sad.
  • cwigintoncwiginton Posts: 14
    I live in Alabama and I am looking for the trade in value on my '03 325i:

8500 miles
    Premium package
    Steptronic
    Titanium Silver/Gray leather interior

Thanks in advance.
  • rn30rn30 Posts: 1
    I am sorry my information earlier was incomplete as I was ill and my daughter was trying to help me out. Please be patient as this is my first correspondance with you. I am going to trade in my 2000 Passat Station Wagon with 52,500 miles in the Phila area. It is a 4 cylinder, tiptronic transmission, silver color with a moon roof and upgraded wheels.I believe they call that a GLS. It is in very good shape. A dash board lite does come on saying to check the engine/emmission control but no one has been able to fix it for longer than a week and it always passes inspection and my mechanic says it is just an electrical issue. This has been an issue for more than a year and the car rides great and gets superb mileage. I have never broken down!
    Please advise as to a real world trade in since the edmunds and nada differ from the kelley bb by about $3000. Thank you - I appreciate it.
  • I posted this in the DeVille forum, somebody suggested I might get an answer here. What might I expect to get for my 04 base model DeVille with the Comfort/Convenience package (heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, memory settings for seats, etc. Or should I try to sell it privately?
    And yup. . . I won it. : )
    Thank you for any advice.

Edit: Oh, it's platinum with grey interior, brand new, 12 miles on it.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    I just found out about this thread and boy am I glad I did because I need some help fast.

The Mrs. and I decided to sell our '96 Civic EX coupe privately instead of trading it in. It's our first time selling and we don't have any idea what to expect in the real world. We've done our research but need some help.

Kbb says to expect anywhere from $5000 to $6000 for the vehicle, fair to good condition respectively, so we advertised it for $6000 or best offer.

What I would please like to know is what should we expect to get for it in the real world and is it even worth the trouble of selling it ourselves? Details of the Civic are below.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Vehicle Details:
    -1996 Honda Civic EX coupe
    -Black ext
    -Charcoal int
    -5-speed
    -1.6L VTEC I4
    -<57k miles
    -CD, moonroof, remote door locks, six speakers, pwr windows/locks, cruise, A/C (works just fine)
    -New battery
    -Was wrecked once, no structural damage
    -Needs new exhaust (I think, because it sounds like it has one of those big coffee can mufflers on it but it doesn't. Must be a hole in the system somewhere)
    -Shocks are worn
    -All maintenance is up to date.
    -Tires are half worn
    -Paint needs some love
    -Minor dings and scratches on the doors
    -All power accessories function normally
    -Brakes only have about 10k miles on them
  • racer63racer63 Posts: 123
    The experts are going to want to know where these bad boys are parked....
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    Sorry, I guess I should have added that. My location is always in my profile.

Pittsburgh, PA