Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Hi, How about looking into the Lemon Law? Is it new with just 6000 miles on it? i'd go over the dealerships head and get satisfaction, it doesn't sound like they're even trying to make an attempt to correct the problem.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    For those experiencing the infamous "GM cold start engine knock" Go to the Silverado board and look up "GM Engine Knock" quite a few posts pertaining to it and what GM is offering (only if you speak loud enough) to shut us up. I just recieved an additional 2 years or 54,000 miles component warranty for my 5.3L engine in my Silverado. So basically I get a 3yr/36,000 for the whole truck and 5yr/100,000 for the engine.

If you failed to notify your dealer prior to your 3yr/36,000 mile warranty running out then you are S.O.L. GM will do nothing for you. By the way GM states in latest Technical Service Bulletin that the "knock" is normal, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you too! So why are they handing out extended component warranties if it's normal, are the ones that don't knock abnormal ??? Synthetic oil makes NO difference if you have this condition. This condition is also known as "piston slap" by GM engineers. Hope this info helps those who have it.

I came to the Venture board because I am not happy with our 2000 Windstar and am looking for another van but with the engine knock in the entire GM line I'm not so sure it will be a GM product.

Ray T.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    36K and 54K is 90K where I went to school.
    Got me on that one, I meant 64,000.
    I have an excuse it's called Age Associated Memory Impairment LOL!

Thanks for catching that one.

Ray T.
    You don't have to tell me about getting old. Sometimes I think I was born before dirt.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Fighting to get past all the geriatric posters. I saw you note. To my knowledge this is the first issue on these boards..incl Pontiac/Olds. GM knock out 175,000 of these clones last year. Is your dealer saying that this van has a structural fault and no recall ???

GM should have a Regional Office and the dealer should have that info. Talk to another dealer, you need another opinion. Time consuming as it may be you cannnot go on with this packaged BS

Kick you know hat.....
  • welk443welk443 Member Posts: 8
    The service manager said they have a structural problem. They have no fix as of yet. GM tech's are trying to duplicate the problem so they can develop a fix. It could take them up to 2 months to solve. I am going to try and get the regional office tomorrow hopefully they will be able to resolve this. Thanks for your help.
    I'd check into the Lemon Law about you're van, if its new with just 6000 miles on it, i'd definately pursue the Lemon Law and get some satisfaction, It sounds like they're giving you the run around at your dealership, they could at least re-align the door and see if that takes care of the problem.
  • safetyguy2safetyguy2 Member Posts: 6
    I saw that the Feds (NHTSA) have opened a safety investigation this month about the child seat shoulder harness clips discussed here a while ago. Investigation number: PE02017. Send any complaints you may have about these clips to:
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline
  • welk443welk443 Member Posts: 8
    contacted dealer today service manager told me he does not have any numbers he can give me for regional gm office. told me to call gm cares called them and was told I need to take vehicle to 1 more dealer for another opinion then they will forward the info to a regional office who will then talk to me if they feel necessary. I am really getting screwed here. does anyone know much about the lemon law I never had to use it . I guess I will now. the van was bought new Aug. 2001 and only has 7000 miles on it. I would appreciate anyone help.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    I am not expert, but from looking around, it looks like lemon laws may vary from state to state. Looks like you see a lot of links to lawyers when you do a web search. What about www.lemonlawamerica.com? Maybe our Host knows a good site that is reliable. Good luck.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't recall a specific site - probably a google.com search for "lemon law" in a specific state would narrow it down both for law summaries and lawyers.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • daturodaturo Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Venture, has a curious problem with the fuel gauge. With a full 20 gallon tank the gauge reads about 3/8 of an inch past full. The needle will not move for 250 miles. It will then move to full. I found out on a recent trip that this meant I had a half tank (10 gallons) left, even though the gauge said full. Using this logic and how much I need to fill the tank when it is on the 1/4 tank mark I'm lucky to have two gallons left. Is this something anyone else has had to deal with? Would like to have a gauge read 1/2 a tank when it really is half a tank left. Appreciate any feedback.
  • cdn_river_mancdn_river_man Member Posts: 7
    We have a venture van purchased new last summer. Whenever we go over a bump on the road we are geting a thumping noise from the rear of the vehicle. Any thoughts on a possible cause? It goes in to the dealer in a few days to be checked out.

thanks
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    You might want to check that the spare tire is securely attached. It is suspended under the floor of the van, exposed on the outside. To tighten it, you'll need to get the jack out of its compartment and locate the special tool that gets inserted into the hole near the hatch latching mechanism. Turning this tool either lowers (loosens) or raises (tightens) the spare tire.

If it is loose, it could be banging against the floor of the van when you hit a bump. Just a thought....
  • hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I have not been happy with the original headlight bulbs that came with my 99 venture. I have purchased new high output ones and was wondering if it was much of a problem to change them. Has any one reading this post changed theirs and was it a hassle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Re last post 1166. This is pretty easy, but needs patience also look at the owners manual.

There are three fastenings that have to be undone. Two on the cross member running along the front of the engine compartment, and one that holds the side DLR indicators.

Remove all three and pull the side unit forward so it is away from the body.

The main headlamp assembly can be lifted out. You will have to remove the wiring connection, once done turn the plastic locking collar until it is loose and lifts off. The rear of the bulb unit can be seen and gently pull it out. You may hear a slight whoomp as the air releases from the unit.

Insert the new bulb in the lamp unit..it can only go one way, put on the locking ring back on and connect the wiring harness. Re insert tabs on the bottom of the headlamp unit into the openings. Screw back the two top fastners.

Then reseat the side lens assembly back into position. It has two guide tabs and replace the last fastner.

I have tried some different headlamps, and can't say the off the shelf halogen are that great. Like to know which ones you purchased.
    I did notice in the owners manual that it did give some instruction on changing these, but wanted a response from someone that actually did it. Thanks for your help, I will change these the next chance I get and let you know if I notice a difference. I bought GE high output bulbs at Walmart, They have to be better than original equipment. Do you or anyone else have a better choice? I can always return these.
    I had already removed the spare tire for the winter (all that snow and salt we use) and the thump was still there.
    The stock bulbs that come on any vehicle is 35w low and 55w high beams. J.C. Whitney sells some that are advertised as off road and come in many wattages. I used 55w lows and 100watt highs Worked great.
    Hi,

I have the same rear thumping noise and I notice that for me it doesn't happen on my 2000 Venture until the fuel gauge is about 1/2 a tank of fuel, whenever I come in for a stop I hear a thump sound and sometimes I hear it when I turn a corner real sharp, i'm not sure if there is a fix for the fuel to slosh around like that. when my fuel tank is full I don't have this thump. I hope this helps somewhat.
    Now that I seen other posts this is the fuel in the tank that makes this noise. As far as I know there is no GM fix. This was a subject several months ago, but wouldn't bother trying to scroll back.

It can appear on a variety of situations, especially when braking or accelrating say from traffic signals.
    The GE Bulbs available at Wal-Mart sometimes in a twin pack are not much better than standard, but you you get a price break to find this out.

I just find the beams are not very good and scattered expecially to the right side on low beam. The only thing I have not seriously done is to adjust the height of the lamp to get more distance on the beam. If nobody flashes you on high beam are they too low ?
    Did have this problem under warranty and it is the fuel gauge sender unit, which is like the size of a video cassette mounted in front of the tank. I am sure they are not cheap although it is all relatively easy for the dealer to install

I had one installed under warranty, but they damaged the sealing ring which caused an EVAP warning on the Check Engine Soon and required a new seal. Be warned
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2000 Silo Premiere that does the same thing since the day it was new. If you look closely at the steering wheel where it meets the steering column (on the back of the steering wheel), you might notice that the rubber rubs the column when you turn the wheel. This is what causes the squeak in mine. It doesn't bother me much, but I don't drive it much, my wife does. If it is bothersome, you might try putting Armor All on a cotton swab and using it to lubricate the rubber between the steering wheel and column. I suppose you could use something else, like silicone grease or a dab of Vaseline, but The Armor All should work as it is pretty slippery and isn't as messy as grease can be.

Let me know how you make out.
    Just got back from the dealer and they were unable to figure out the thump. It is not from the gas tank. If it was it would likely be a broken baffle in the tank. May have to just live with it for now but it is on record as a complaint and we will see what develops :-).

Thank you to those who made suggestions

Denis
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    One good thing about owning a Chevy, you get a chance to drive other Chevy loaners while your vehicle is in the shop for the 3rd time in Feb for the same problem, erratic door latching.
    Looks like they have exhausted their diagnostic options, and are now working with Tech Support in Detroit to resolve. They know it's an electrical problem, but can't find the exact cause.
    They gave me a 2000 Venture with 58K miles. It seems to operate at much lower temp than my 2001, barely reaching 1/4 on temp scale.
    I also did notice the thumping as mentioned in earlier postings. This can be heard when moving from complete stop (traffic light), but a little sudden acceleration is needed. Doesn't sound like gas in tank (almost full tank), but hard to say where it is.
    Probably will have car for a week or so as dealer said this is a very diffcult job. Seems like the perfect test vehicle!
  • sc_sixxsc_sixx Member Posts: 1
    I have recently replace the bulbs on my '99 Venture with PIAA Super White bulbs, DOT approved. I found that they are at least twice as bright as the factory bulbs, but a little pricey at $150 CDN.
  • sld1sld1 Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 99 Venture 3 yrs ago. Have had LOTS of problems: driver seatback broke, battery failed, steering column needed fixing, have had sliding power door fixed 3-4 times, blower motor needed replacing, rod clip broken, driver side inner door panel came loose, rear window washer hose was pinched and needed repair, airbag light wouldn't turn off, had to replace steering rack assembly, etc. Got GM to give me extended warranty to 5 yrs/60k miles. Last few months van's been great. When it doesn't have any problems, I love the van.
    Problem - with one more payment to go, someone ran a red light and smashed into me. Not sure it's repairable. So, I like the van, but don't want to go through all those problems again. Did I just get a lemon the first time, and if I buy another it'll be great, or have other people had problems like this? I would feel like a fool if I bought another Venture and ended up with all these problems over again!
    Thanks for any insight/advice.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    First, hope everyone is allright after the accident. Since you're talking about a replacement vehicle, sounds like that is the case.

Next, how many miles are on the vehicle? If all these problems happened in the first 25k miles, I'd be more worried than if you had like 100k miles!!!

I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana with about 24k miles. So far, it has been to the shop for two power sliding door recalls, and once for a problem with a voltage fluctuation that was repaired with some type of connector.

Other than that, no problems and we're very happy with the van. It sounds as though you may have had a bit of a lemon. I've seen the reliability statistics for the GM triplets, and they're not great, but so far (knock on wood), everything seems good. Who knows what will happen in the next 25k miles, though!!

As far as advice, take a look at what's available today and see if the Venture is still what you want. If so, I can't see any reason not to buy another.
    I'd say the Venture's are very reliable, they'll be little problems that will crop up, though it seems yours weren't major problems such as transmission or head gasket issues where you're van wouldn't be driveable, and a battery can actually be replaced. were all you're problems just within the 3 year time span or was it right after you brought you're venture?
    You should not have to live with this noise.

I would remove all seating in the van as well as the jack accessories and anything else that can be removed, this will allow to hear better as to the location..or it might have gone away.
    The problems I've had have gone on steadily for the almost-three years I've had Venture. Most recently over Christmas the transmission fluid developed a leak and had to have parts replaced. I was over the 36,000 mile warranty, but dealer covered it because of all the other problems I've had. When the van got totaled last week it had 41,984 miles on it.
    Re: safety - I got hit pretty much straight on, right at front passenger side door. Guy was going 35-40 mph, ran redlight. Window shattered, but I didn't have one cut or anything broken. Spent a few hours in ER, have follow-up visit this week. Still feel kind of bruised/sore but am assuming it'll go away with time. I was VERY glad to be in that big van! If I'd been in a small-midsize car I think the other guy, also in a van, wouldn't gone right over me.
    SLD1, What did you have to do to get GM to extend your 3/36 warranty to 5/60? Please advise. Tx.
    I posted this in the "GM Triplets" board but thought others would be interested also.
    Got my Extended Component Warranty for the engine knock in mail yesterday from GM, 5year/100,000 mile for engine only. Guess I won't be keeping this truck for 10 years after all. Where as I don't own a Venture I do own a defective GM product with the 5.3L engine. The "Knock" occurs during cold starts and lasts about 45 seconds.

Ray T.
    I first called the GM Customer Assistance toll-free #. Went round and round and got nowhere. Finally asked for the phone # of GM headquarters. It's 313-556-5000. I talked to someone there, went over the long list of problems I'd had with van. (Got a maintenance history printout from dealer - it listed every time I'd brought the van in, what the problem was, what they did to fix it.) She said that she would contact the selling and servicing dealerships and conduct a complete review. I also had talked to my service dept who had given me the idea to go after them for an extended warranty in the first place. They knew all the problems I'd had and said they would recommend the extension when GM contacted them.

The area manager got involved, to review all the records on my van.

Finally took almost 2 months, but I got it. Of course while they were investigating I periodically called GM HQ back to report new problems (coolant leak due to bad intake manifold gasket; problem w/ CD player; etc).

They sent me something to keep in the van, but also said that any GM dealership I went to would be able to see the extended warranty by looking up the VIN.

Of course now that my van is totalled, the only good the extended warranty will do me is to hopefully increase the amount the insurance co will pay me.

By the way, other than calling a lawyer, does anyone have any advice for dealing with the insurance co, to maximize the payout/minimize my financial loss? Thanks.
    Your vehicle is worth whatever the book value shows accounting for mileage of course, the defects or problems should have no bearing unless YOU brought them up to insurance company, if you did that was unwise it's like cutting your own throat. Insurance companies have nothing to do with vehicle warranty issues they just guarantee coverage in case of accidents and such.

Ray T.
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    A lady I work with spent many dollars trying to figure out what the rear thumping was in her 94 continental. It turned out to be the rear windshield and a bad seal. If you pushed on the window from the inside, it would move in/out. She even had the service man riding in the trunk, trying to figure out what the noise was. Once they replaced the seal it was fine, no more thumping. Maybe the same problem. Just a thought.
    I changed my headlight bulbs today to GE high output bulbs, no better than OEM. I drove around with my high beams on and no one flashed theirs at me. Could it be that mine need adjustment. When I stand in front of vehicle they seem bright enough, just don't light up very far down the road when driving.
    Can anyone help? I'm trying to find a 2001 or 2002 Venture (silver, 8 seats, touring pkg, radio/cassette/CD, etc) but am unable to. I have looked at the inventories of all the dealers in my immediate area (Memphis). I have contacted the GMPowerBuyers at two dealerships and they have been less than helpful. It's almost as though they don't feel they really need to sell anymore vans, so why bother with another customer!

One question I have is how can I look at dealer inventories that are outside my area? I would think there'd be a way to see what was available in this region, but can't figure it out.

Another question - if I "order" the van I want, how long would that take to come in? Seems like dealers must be getting new vehicles in weekly and could simply put in a request for what I want and it wouldn't take that long. But one dealer told me it could be 6-8 weeks.

Also, the current incentives ($2,002 cash back and 0% financing for 36 mos) expire the end of March. Is there a way to find out if these will be extended any?

I may be stubborn, but this is a major purchase for me, and I plan to drive the van until it dies (I still own '86 Toyota that my son has at college). So I want to buy the van that I want and not settle for something I'll pay a lot of money for and live with a long time and not be happy with. I don't think that what I'm looking for is unusual. I can't understand why I can't find it and why the dealers won't help me. Any clues?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    You can search dealer inventories thru GM Buypower, as you go further from home, just pick a zip code in the next area. And I think the incentives are $2002 or 0.0% for 36.
    SLD1, with all the problems you've had, I thought your next vehicle would be something other than GM?? If someone offered me close to retail for my 2001 WB, I would jump on the opportunity and dump the van and all of its problems onto someone else. Never again GM.
    Just because you changed bulbs and are running around with high beams on with no one flashing their brights at you doesn't mean their out of adjustment, maybe their just more curtious then someone riding around with their bright lights on.

What you should have done PRIOR to changing lamps was face vehicle at a garage door or wall, make note of where the beam pattern is hitting then change the lamps to higher wattage, most headlight assemblies do not change their aim unless you change the adjustment, simply changing bulbs does not. If the wattage of the new bulbs is same as old you have literally changed nothing but the bulbs and gained nothing. GE High Outputs are more then likely the same wattage as OEM bulb but a whiter light. Most domestic vehicle low beams are 55 watt, high beams are 65 watt. I changed out my high beams to PIAA Super Whites 110 Watt, they are illegal but at least I have control as to when I use them, I would not mess with the low beams since this can get you in trouble, you do no good to the oncoming traffic you are blinding and you cant turn them down as w/high beams.

Ray T.
    How important is the touring suspension? I will be using my van mostly just around town, but take 6-10 trips/year (vacation + gymnastics meets). My preference would be to have it, but am having trouble finding the van I want. I've found one pretty close, but no touring suspension.

Also, is that something that the dealer could add on to the van or does it have to be factory installed?

Any feedback on the leather/cloth seats? Again, my first choice would be NOT to get them, but to get other things I want in a van, I may have to take them. I transport boys, to lots of sports, so there is a fair amount of dirt/mess that comes into the van. I've never had a vehicle w/ leather seats before so I'm interested in hearing about their durability, how to keep them clean, etc.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    The touring suspension I think may be unnecessary for you. I have a Venture with 8 pass seating w/o touring suspension. The van rides great under all loads that I have put in it, family of 5 on a road trip, trips to home depot, etc. The only reason I regret not having it, is that I plan on doing some light towing, and I believe the load leveling feature would be beneficial then.
    I do recommend getting the fold flat rear seat, it has been very useful to me many times.
    BTW my van is an 01 Silver, LS ext, does not have the cass, just CD player, and no touring susp.
    As far as cloth vs. leather, I think that is personal preference, mine are cloth and that is what I prefer.
  • caseyshookcaseyshook Member Posts: 1
    HI-

Well- I'm a 2000 chevy venture owner, and have had so many problems with the van, I don't even know where to begin. My most recent problem is that my plastic shield in front of my steering wheel has started to just crack for no reason. I noticed the cracks after a very cold night. I took my van to the dealer and they said, "we hit it"....not true at all! They will not replace the shield. It has now started to crack in three other places. I'm taking this problem to the Better Business Bureau.... I'm very disappointed in GM! I was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem....I would love to hear from you.

Thank you
    I'm looking at a Venture LT that has the stereo with 6 disc CD changer for $295. But I don't want that. I would prefer the radio w/ CD player and auto-reverse cassette that comes standard with the LT. Dealer said he could put in what I want, but then I'd still have to pay the $295, PLUS pay for the radio/cassette/CD unit PLUS pay the labor to take the one out and replace with the other. I thought they could swap out units (put the one they take out of my van into other van), but dealer says no.

Question - Is there a good place (cheaper than the dealer) to get what I want? Is there someone who has a good reputation for doing quality work that might might give me credit for what they take out of the van and put in what I want for less? OR would I be better off maybe paying a little more money to have the dealer do it and then it would be covered under warranty?

Thanks for any advice.

By the way, dealer said rebate on Ventures just went up today to $3,500!
    Printed off a window sticker for a van at a local dealer and noticed it seemed to have a few errors. The van is a Warner Bros, yet sticker added a $555 charge for touring suspension (which is stnd on LT and WB) and added $350 for driver-side power sliding door, again std on LT/WB.

Where do these window stickers come from - does each dealer make their own or do they come on the vehicle from the factory? My initial reaction is to make me skeptical of this dealer...

Any thoughts or info on this?
    SLD1, I have a 2001 WB, and I can assue you neither of the 2 options are standard. I really didn't care or had the need for the touring suspension, so I looked for one without it. The passenfer side door is power, and standard, but the driver side power is an option. If you want further info, try Chevy's homepage.
    I have the 2002 Venture brochure and it clearly specifies that both those things (touring suspension and two power sliding doors) are standard features on the LT and WB. Perhaps that's been a change from the 2001. But I will go to the Chevy site and see what it says. Thanks for the feedback.