Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• djhypedjhype Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem a year-and-a-half ago on my '97 Venture. Step on the gas to accelerate on the highway, and it acted like I shifted into neutral (high revs) and then dropped into drive (CLUNK!)The dealer tested the solenoid mentioned in the "bulletin" and found it defective. Another freebie repair! I've since put 60k km on it with no problems. Let the dealership check it, and insist that they replace the solenoid or valve-body for free. Especially if you mentioned it to them before the warranty ran out!

Needless to say, my '97 is for sale, because I need to make the payments on my 2003 Blazer hehehehe!
  • djhypedjhype Member Posts: 2
    If you're interested in my '97 Venture, let me know! Still got a bit of GM Extended warranty on it!
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    May have seen on TV Sylvania headlamp ad. They make a 9004ST which is supposed to be much brighter 50/70 (low/high) compared with standard 45/65.

Sylvania has the info on their web site www.sylvania.com. The online store has them at $50 a pair, but listed retailers are at $39. some refer to a $10 mail in.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I am torn over the safety issue re: GM vans. I know the Insurance Institute says the Venture was awful in their offset crash test, yet the experience of hundreds/thousands of real-life drivers show they are some of the safest vans available. Real injury claims are LOW. How do these fit together? Has anyone seen or heard of collapse of the van cabin?
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    You are opening up a can of worms with that question! The people who believe the IIHS off set simulated crash results will give you this long story about how the real world loss figures just don't tell the whole story about real world crashes. I have owned my Silhouette for 2 years and 30,000 miles with no problems and would buy another GM in a minute. All crashes are different and so are the results, but the IIHS will give you a base line to guide you, just remember that the base line you are getting is nothing more than that and I think real world injury losses tell a more complete story.

Check out the "What the Best Reliable Minivan" posts, they like foreign minivans mostly and even then they can't agree about which foreign minivan is the Most...ect, ect, ect.

You could always buy a Mazda MPV, Zoooooom!!!
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I own a Montana, I'm a satisfied customer, zero problem so far ( 1 year 15000)

I am not planning to crash so...there is so many other way to disapear ;-)

If they would have hit their wall maybe 2 inches more toward the right or the left their result would have been totally different.

Nothing compares with the real life,nothing.
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    Reference 1482, I did get the wires changed. I don't want another rpair effort that costs me money but doesn't fix the problem. # 5 cylinder misfires. Any ideas? What test would confirm the problem?
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Reference to my previous post #1476 May 18th 2003. This is the results from a dealer regarding my problem. A code was found in the computer. Flow troubleshooting chart directed them to replace transmission pressure control solenoid. GM also has a TSB # 901351on this problem which service manager gave me. He also said they have fixed a few others this way and they never came back so it must be correcting the problem. Access is thru a side access plate. So transmission pan doesn't have to be dropped but for my peace of mind I asked them to do so to make sure there wasn't any evidence of any damaged parts in the bottom. There wasn't. I had them change filter and fluid. Total cost with tax came to $529.00

He suggested I contact GM and since I am so close to just being out of warrenty and see if they can do something for me. I like to write these type of notes. So I am going to send a copy of my invoice...show them copies of my 5 currently registered Chevy's 55,57,68,2000 Impala and Venture and maybe they will give me a break on sharing costs since I have owned Chevy's since 1962. Why not Columbus took a chance! Maybe there is a soft heart at GM somewhere!
    Bye
    Reference 1490 my car is going in Wendsday for the misfire. I hear it ou the tailpipe now. Says he'll check for a bad ignition coil or possibly and injector.
  • cheriemarie1cheriemarie1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a '97 Venture and the engine seized at the dealer's while they had it hooked up to their diagnostic equipment. If it wasn't the fuel gauge floating around, the locks going haywire with locking and unlocking at the oddest times, the automatic door popping open after it closed....now it is a vehicle that didn't last 6 years or get up to 100,000 miles like a foreign vehicle would have. I have always been pro chevrolet but now I am soured. Plus the dealer just couldn't get rid of me fast enough once I told them I wasn't paying them $6,600 to replace the engine. UGH.
    the misfiring was caused by plugged fuel injectors
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    I have a couple of concerns that I thought I would ask about here and in the triplet forum. I have 2 different rattles coming from underneath. The first sounds like chains rattling together. It’s coming from under the engine area. The second is more of a clunk and it comes from under the driver area. These both only occur when going over moderate bumps but since most roads aren’t completely smooth, I hear then too often. I took it to the dealer. They had it for a total of 2 ½ days. Their solution was tightening an exhaust shield. They said it was fixed. Of course I was skeptical, so I told them I’m driving right thru your parking lot and if it still happens I’ll be right back. Of course the same 2 rattles were there. So the manager drove thru the lot with me about 20 times. His conclusion is that it’s coming from the liftgate area and reverberating thru to where I hear them in the front. I told him I disagree since I can clearly feel a clunk under my feet and hear “chains” from under the engine. He wants to tear apart the liftgate to try some repairs! I did crawl underneath and found that the rear heater and a/c lines seemed to bang together so I tied them together but it didn’t stop the rattle. I’ll try again tonite. Does anyone have any ideas about these rattles?
  • wxman5wxman5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Venture, I have owned it for 5 1/2 years(75,000 miles). I have been very satisfied with it. The entire time I have had the van, I have been stationed in Germany. I can testify the Venture is great for traveling. It can also get up and go. I can get the max out of it on the autobahn. To bad it is governed around 110 mph. Anyway, I have read that rust on the hood is a problem with the Ventures. Has anyone else had this? If so, does anyone have any idea on how much it costs to replace the entire hood? I have also had problems with leaky headlights, back wiper motor stopped working, noisy windows, brake problems, and power locks unlocking and locking without me activating them. BUT...overall it has always got me home. Thanks!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The GM triplets use an aluminum hood. Is it possible for aluminum to rust? I thought rust only happened to steel.
  • wxman5wxman5 Member Posts: 2
    The paint is bubbling up on the edges towards the windshield and it looks like rust since the sections are getting larger and the paint is slowly starting to chip off. I do not think aluminum rusts. If it is not rust what else could it be? Thanks fo the heads up.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Aluminum isn't subject to "rust" although it oxidizes. But after it forms a layer of oxidation, it really doesn't oxidize much more.

But aluminum does corrode and exfoliate. The crystals can separate and puff out. Paint seems to be a factor - that's why you usually see unpainted aluminum on fishing boats. Here's a link and another (pdf) link

Steve, Host
    gas gauge went kaput. Any body else have this problem? Reads full all the time.
    Gas Gage--There is a thru body connector in the floor behind the drivers seat. Easy to see from underneath the car. It has wiring for the fuel tank unit and rear ABS, I believe. Any problem with the connectors caused by water can casue problems with these systems. That should be something checked along with the usual suspects-dash and tank.
    Don't know what I did but I got under there and moved things around and now the gauge is working. Thanks again.
    Glad something I posted helped someone. You may what to have it looked at before something else that runs through there leaves you stranded. If the fuel pump wire goes, could get starting problems. Best of luck, and thats for posting back.
  • jimchijimchi Member Posts: 10
    I am planning on renting a Chevy Venture from Avis. We will have a lot of luggage so will need to collapse the 3rd row of seats down. Can anyone tell me if ALL current models of the Venture have collapsable 3rd row seats or is it just on selected models? Avis seemingly can't tell me which model they use.
    Many model combinations and seat options on the GM vans. But I am almost positive, there are only two types of third row seats. A three passenger solid back that "folds-flat" and a three passenger 50/50 split that will "fold & stow". "fold & stow" is seat backs fold down, and stow by releaseing the rear legs and folding up onto the front legs. Should only be 10"ish behind the second row when folded up. The real issue on luggage is, regular length van or extended length van. The extended gets around 10" more cargo room.
  • jimchijimchi Member Posts: 10
    Montanafan-- do you mean that after we "fold and stow" that there will be only about 10 inches of storage stage between the 2nd row and the rear door? Certainly not enough for any luggage. I couldn't even fit my briefcase in that !!
    Perhaps I misunderstood.
    Sorry I ment that the width of the folded seat would be about 10" up against the second row. Swing by a GM dealer and take alook.
    Woe is me fellow travelers, low coolant light went on. Already had the intake gasket replaced. It's going in tommorrow.
    Maybe it's related to your gasket work a few weeks ago and they'll cover it... please keep us posted.

Steve, Host
    It's the water pump this time around. Due to be picked up tommorrow morning. Jim
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    Help!!!!
    I think this is a new one. I have a 2000 Warner Brothers Venture. I probably wasn't paying enough attention to my oil usage as i have it changed every three thousand miles. Last month the low oil light came on. So I put two quarts in to top it off. Well yesterday the light came back on. I had to put two more quarts in. I only had driven 1700 miles. So it is using about a quart every 850 miles. Every one i have talked to has said this is excessive. Yet nothing leaking on garage floor and it doesn't appear to be in the coolant. The bad news the van is three months out of warranty although it only has 34600 miles on it. I made an appointment to get it checked Monday. I am not sure if I should just unload it or wait for the verdict. I am guessing this is going to be an expensive problem. Any thoughts out there. The dealer said he hasn't had any problems with Venture using Oil.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Your oil use is definitely excessive. If you have receipts for all your oil changes, take them with you to the dealer. As your vehicle is barely out of warranty, if make any kind of fuss, I would guess GM will pick up the repair bill.
    I agree with your mechanic, in reading all the posts I have, using oil in these vans is a very uncommon problem.
    Re 1510. Although the warning light maybe coming on is it still down on the dipstick after you topped it off the first time. If there are no visible leaks it needs dealer attention. The warning light could be a "sender' problem. I had this on the Low Coolant

Would agree with CATAM that need to make a bit of noise with the dealer as just out of warranty.
    Could be an intake manifold gasket leak. And in some areas that would be a 36m/50,000m warranty (california emissions states). So should be able to make a case for post warranty concideration.
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the help. I have an appointment for Monday. I talked to the dealer about post warranty help. He wants to check it out first and see what the problem might be. He is going to do an Oil consumption test. Also check compression and a few other things. He said i should wait to contact GM after these tests. He made it clear though that the Van is out of warranty. Like I didn;t know that. A few others notes I checked the tail pipe and there isn't much in the way of soot deposits. Also i have put 4 quarts in the last two months. It was low two quarts the first time I checked it and was low two quarts last week. Also absouletly no blue smoke is coming out of the tail pipe. I also checked the transmission and it is OK. The engine is running as smoothly as it ever did. I am going out today to check out a few new vans and see what my is worth before they give me the bad news. I really like the van and do not want to get rid of it, especially since i am on the last few payments. Either pay the bank or GM i guess. I have never dealt with GM before so who knows how this will turn out. I will let you know.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Has anybody added television or video to their Venture? I've searched the web and have seen console TVs that sit between the front seats. I've also seen LCD screens that mount to the back of the front seats. Anybody had experience with any of these systems?
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    I have a loose window on the passenger side. Does anybody know how to remove the inside door trim to get access to the window bracket? I've removed the power window/lock switch panel so far. Inside there's a screw which seems to hold in the trim. I removed that too but the trim still doesen't seem to want to come off very easily. I don't want to force it too much and break something. Are there any other mounting screws I should look for or does the whole thing just snap in?
    Based on past experience with a Lumina APV, once you have removed the trim the actual panel is popped on with plastic plugs down both sides and along the bottom. Then you will find a plastic sheet which is adhered to the door frame with black stuff. Believe this is to protect door/window mechanism from water ingress.

Maybe worth looking in one of these after market manuals that has an exploded view. GM may have changed the design.
    I have not added or seen one of the types you mention in action.

I tackled it buying a small 9inch tv/vcr combo, but you can get them with a DVD now. We have the eight seater with three modular seats in second row and flip the center seat forward. I then secure the tv with small bungy cords using the seat bars on the floor.

You will need to get a kit - TARGET Stores that allows you to angle the tv up, so that the viewers in the very rear seat have a comfotable line of sight.

Ther ones that come in a case and strapped to the front two seats have a small screen. The floor mounted ones are too wide for the space between the two front seats on GM.

You must secure the tv otherwise it could end up being a projectile if accident occurs.
    You might ask in the Aftermarket Forum, about audio/video upgrades.
    I have done a similar set up to offham. I actually have a 13 inch TV/VCR combo. I use a few folded blankets to prop it up at a viewable angle. I also remove the center seat in the second row (8 pass seating config). I put the cooler full of drinks and snacks there for the kids. This has made for the most headache free and comfortable road trips I have ever had.

PS. An added bonus for the TV/VCR combo is that its now sits in my kitchen all week long, so that we have something to watch while cooking. I only put it in the van for road trips. It also gives me a VCR in the hotel room for the kids. Quite a bargain $120 for TV, $30 for power inverter, and you're ready to go. Beats the heck out of the $500-$1500 systems that get installed in your van.
  • 4wheeler54wheeler5 Member Posts: 5
    Posted this in "triplets" as well...
    We have had our Venture for about a week after getting it used (120K) I am fairly happy so far except for a couple of things - I'm getting a hesitation and slight "bucking" feeling from the engine when excelerating or at cruising speeds (all speeds) feels like the engine is missing but suspecting its a dirty fuel injector. Any thoughts? Last thing , and its minor is the passengers arm rest sits too low as if it was foced down or sat upon at one time. I'm hoping I can take it apart and have it "park" a couple of inches higher?
    I would check your plugs and wires. Odds are that your vehicle never had its 100K scheduled tune up, and with 120K on the clock its highly likely You may have a bad one. If those check out OK, then I would look at the fuel system, ie fuel filter, pump, injectors, etc. The last possible culprit although unlikely would be air, check your air filter and replace if old, mass airflow sensor, o2 sensor, pcv valve, egr valve, etc.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I have a Malibu, with similar 3.1L engine. When I experienced a "miss", or bucking, I decided it needed plugs. My dealer service advisor strongly advised to ignore the plugs and change the plug wires (said they go bad before the plugs.) A new set of wires fixed all!
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone else had this problem. On my 2000 Venture, the remote power lock fob will no longer open or close the doors; the power slide door; nor the emergency horn. This happened two months ago for a couple of hours and repaired itself. It now has occurred again for good. It has been inoperable for a week now. I have tried both key bobs and neither work. I also checked the fuse box and all fuses are fine. I can contol the electric doors from within the cabin and now have to press the lock button twice before departing to lock the vehicle completely. To enter, I must use the key and then press the unlock button from within the cabin Also, where is the control box to this system? Maybe a wire is fried or an in-line fuse is blown. Otherwise, with 65,000 plus miles and over three year's of use; it has been a good vehicle. I just hope this doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair. Thank you
    Did you replace the batteries in the FOB's? Just a thought.
    Re last two postings. We have a 2000 and notice that have to be closer to van to open. There is a specific article on changing batteries in the key fob in the hand book and maybe the time to do it.

If this does not work, I recall more than some time ago..couple of years, you should disconnect the battery connections to "reset" the door operation etc.. Do not believe it is a fuse issue.

Please let us know.
    I believe that their is a procedure in the owners manual to reset the power doors. Since it was mentioned that they had to use the key to get in the van from the outside, I would assume that the key FOB isn't working any door lock.

I have found that if you hold the FOB against the bottom of your chin while pushing the buttons, that will increase the range of operation. I have tried this my self, so this isn't some trick to make you look silly.
    I think your body is acting like a large antenna, so the range is increased.
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have also used my wife's fob which is used occasionally and there is also no response. I have moved to various distances and locations and still no response. I have not performed any maintenance recently on the van that I can point to as a possible source of the problem. I followed the instruction manual as suggested and reset the electric doors to no avail. I will try the battery technique offered to see if that might help. I ordered the service manual today on-line (something I have been planning to do for three year's) with the hopes it will shed new light on the problem. It just may be the receiver is on the fritz. If I can locate the control module; I may be able to check the connectors or at the very least; have it checked. It just may be time for a replacemtn module.
    I'd still replace one of the fob batteries just to rule that out.

Steve, Host
  • pmarchandpmarchand Member Posts: 7
    I am getting ready to change my coolant in a 99 Venture (DEX-COOL). Can anybody tell me where the drain plug is? There seems to be a plastic plug at the bottom right as I face the engine. It appears that it needs a special tool to unscrew it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Sounds like you have correctly identified it. It unscrews, you may need pliers to turn it. There are also two cooling system bleed screws on the top front of the engine you're supposed to open to get the coolant to drain, but it's hard to describe where they are.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I know many would never compare the Venture with the Odyssey, but I rented a Venture for the week and drove it fully loaded for 800 miles through the Sierra Nevada with my wife following in the Odyssey that we own - both were '02 models.

For someone who doesn't think much of GM cars, I gotta say, the Venture was a pleasant surprise. The feel of the wheel and the seats (Venture) were outstanding. Road noise is well insulated. The Venture was a little challenged climbing hills vs. the Odyssey, but it fared much better in the mpg department going 23 mpg vs. 19 for the Odyssey.

Fit and finish has to go to the Odyssey, and over time, I'd guess the Honda product would fare better in reliability and re-sale, but I think the Venture was probably alot cheaper to get off the lot than my '02 Odyssey at MSRP.

one other note: as if to say 'take that Odyssey!' the Venture threw a rock busting the windshield of the Odyssey while on the HWY.