Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• jkulpa1jkulpa1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a Chevy Venture 2003 in July. The van had about 1500 miles on it when I took a summer trip with my family that added another 2000 miles to the vehicle. During this time I noticed that the oil pressure dropped steadily, day by day. Initially readings were in the high 70's, now in the mid 30's. No loss of oil is apparent, crankcase shows full, and I had an oil change after the trip and pressure continued to drop. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    You didn't mention the year of your venture. I have a '98 and that doesn't have a gauge. Sometimes I think it's better not having a gauge. In any event, I beleive engines can handle (mid-thirties)low oil pressure.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    My Silhouette 02 doesn't have an oil pressure gauge so I don't know what the pressure is either. I would suspect that the gauge is faulty.
  • jkulpa1jkulpa1 Member Posts: 2
    The Venture is a 2003. The oil gauge is a choice on the electronic odometer, I can go from the main reading of total miles on the vehicle to 2 different trip readings to oil pressure. Thanks for the responses, it is something that I will be keeping a close eye on.
    Wait a minute. I think that you are describing the oil life monitor (not oil pressure) that tells you what percentage of oil life is left, not the oil pressure. When the oil is changed it is reset at 100% oil life and the numbers will go down as the van is driven until the change oil soon is displayed. The change oil soon will be displayed on the system monitor to the left (it shows a picture of you battery ) when you first start the van.

Check your owners manual.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Good catch just4fun2.
  • peiscooterpeiscooter Member Posts: 2
    We have a new Venture and experience a howling noise from the front of the vehicle on open roads and windy conditions. First I thought it was the bug deflector - but we still get it after I took it off. After some investigating, I think it's the air intake shroud for the heater fan. It lays against the windshield very loosely and is a pretty flimsy piece of plastic.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm going to use some adhesive to secure this shroud better and see if it helps...
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    There have been many talks about wind noise in the GM mini discussions. From the noise around the mirrors to the rattle by the intake to the air filter. Post #215 of 926 in the Olds Silo discussion covers this cowl on the windshield area.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    May be the luggage rack. You might try moving the crossbars to a different point, and make sure they're tight. I had crossbar noise on my Venture and it took me months to locate the problem.
  • jascott129jascott129 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem identified in post #390...

99 Venture with 75k. Was involved in front/driver wreck at 58k and repaired. The driver/front wheel bearing was replaced about 3k ago, which was related to wreck. Also replaced the shocks/struts/tires at same time.

We now have a popping/thumping noise from driver/front wheel. It only occurs with a sharp turn to right and slow speed. It happens while backing out of our driveway into the alley. There is an incline, but not much. I can't reproduce it with the front wheels off the ground. Ball joints/tie rods are all good.

Any ideas? I think something may just be loose, but I have no idea what...

Thanks in advance
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Friend of mine has a Venture that has the speedometer pegged at 120+. At least I think that's the highest number on the speedo... In any case, it doesn't matter how fast the van is moving, the speedometer is right up there. Any ideas what the problem may be? Everything else seems to be working fine so I'm told. Thanks!

93508C NOV 92 Speedometer - Registers When Vehicle is Stationary

Came across the above TSB, is it related?

-B
  • 4wheeler54wheeler5 Member Posts: 5
    Seized the other day - broke the serpetine belt.
    Had the dealer tow it in. Verdict: Compressor's clutch,pulley and coil installed = $800.00.
    Bummer on a 2000 Venture LS!
  • dmaccaronedmaccarone Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2001 Venture "Looney Toons" edition driven mainly by my wife around town, and by the family on frequent trips. The VCR has finally given up the ghost, does anybody have any idea if instead of replacing the VCR, could I upgrade to a DVD player???? I know the newer models come with the DVD player ...... is the wiring harness a direct plug in???? Will it plug into the dash "cubby" currently occupied by the VCR without modifications????? Anybody know the approximate cost for replacing the VCR ... or buying a new DVD??? Thanks in advance for any help.
    What are the symptoms of the dead video cassette player in the van. I had a tv/vcr combo that I thought was dead, it played sound but no picture only snow. Couldn't figure out anything wrong, it was less than a year old. I threw in a Memmorex cleaning tape and slowly but surely the picture returned. It is amazing how dirty some borrowed or rental tapes can be. Your best bet for replacement is to find a salavge yard that has one or can find one for you.
  • dmaccaronedmaccarone Member Posts: 2
    I'm afraid it's really REALLY dead. When a tape is inserted, all of the lights go on, but it will neither play, rewind, or fast forward. The "on screen info" says it's in idle, when the "play" button is pushed the on screen info momentarily flashes play, then goes back to idle. No matter what button is pushed (play, rewind,fast forward) the tape will not advance or rewind. I'm 99.9% sure it needs to be replaced, and before I replace it I would like to find if upgrading to a DVD player rather than replacing the Video tape player is an option.
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    I recently saw an automotive VCP on clearance in Crutchfield magazine. I don't know if it will fit in the hole where the existing vcp is, but it might be worth a phone call to Crutchfield. DVD might be more of a problem if your looking for something that looks factory installed. You might check with a dealer about converting to DVD. I'm sure it will be somewhat expensive. I will be in the same boat if/when my vcp gives up.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Town Hall Members are invited by GM to a Live WebCast announcing the 2005 Buick Terraza and Saturn RELAY!

Thursday, December 4th - The live webcast will be on http://gmtv.feedroom.com/ from 12pm-1pm EST.

GM Crossover Sport Vans (CSVs) Virtual Launch 2005 Buick Terraza and Saturn RELAY CSVs.

GM LEADERSHIP SCHEDULED TO SPEAK:
    Bob Lutz, vice chairman, Product Development and chairman GM North America
    Roger Adams, general manager, Buick
    Jill Lajdziak, vice president, Saturn Sales, Service and Marketing
    Tom Kowaleski, vice president, GM North America Communications

Buick Terraza is the third entry into Buick’s truck portfolio. Terraza will complement Rendezvous and Rainier by delivering another premium, refined experience that blends the best qualities of Buick sedans with the utility that today’s marketplace demands. Terraza will compete at the upper end of the segment and continue the trend started with Rendezvous. Terraza was selected after consumers said the name has a luxurious, yet rugged image and conveyed a strong vehicle with comfort features.

Saturn RELAY is a flexible people carrier with interior appointments reflecting the direction of future Saturn vehicles, which will help continue to grow the brand by attracting a new group of customers. It will also help Saturn meet the needs of existing Saturn owners with growing families and active lifestyles. The name ‘RELAY,’ associated with motion and movement, conveys the vehicle’s ability to connect people and their destinations.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jascott129jascott129 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Venture with 76k on it. The airbag light will usually stay on once started. This problem happened long ago and the dealer said there was a loose connection to the driver seat airbag. I believe it might be the same problem as the seat position seems to have something to do with it. I have verified all the cables under the seat are securly connected.

If this is the problem, is the entire system disabled, or just that airbag?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • mrjflemingmrjfleming Member Posts: 6
    wife said our 00 montana has intermittently been hesitating on the highway, almost stalling once? all gauges ok and no engine light. has 85,000 on it and has done this on the last few tanks of gas so i don't think she got just one bad tank of gas.

my solution will be to change air/fuel filters, plugs, and wires. i understand the plugs on this van are very difficult to get to so i may pass on those initialy, but i would prefer to go at this intelligently. what order should i go in and is there anything else i should look at? any experiences would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Don't forget the fuel filter.
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    I'd try plug wires first, then filters...if no better then, possibility that fuel pump is going out? Those intermittent problems, esp.if only at higher speeds, are often tough to pinpoint
  • mrjflemingmrjfleming Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the help, i will keep everyone informed when i find the problem, still think it may be gas quality related, getting cold here in detroit and i know they gas stations start changing the additives in the fuel in winter, maybe we got some fuel left over from last season they are trying to get rid of... never know. we'll see, thanks again, and if anyone else has any input i would appreciate the help.
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    that would definitely be good if it's just gas! Don't know about plug wires, now that I think back, I had a couple cars that had bad plug wires, and they seemed to sort of cut out/miss under any hard acceleration. But, a good, cheap & simple thing to try, I guess.

Don't get me started on winter gas additives! lol most of the Colorado front range is required to add mtbe (10%, i think?) and I've read a couple things where reputable studies have shown that it actually does significantly more harm than good. Basically, if you're reducing certain emissions by x percent with mtbe, but you're decreasing avg. gas mileage by x percent (due to the mtbe), the end result is actually HIGHER overall pollution. Not to mention the stuff is a carcinogen and collects in water, soil, etc. Well, enough O.T. ranting for now - good luck!
  • 164guy164guy Member Posts: 1
    When I stop, when in drive or reverse, I feel a subtle "bump" in the rear of the van. It doesn't always happen however, and it's hard to predict. Has anybody had this problem? It's a brand new van!
    Check the usual suspects for noises: jack, spare tire, rear seats fully latch.
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    Well it has been more than a few months since my post on Venture Van using excessive amounts of oil. I had several tests done at the dealership to rule out most of the easy fixes. They are going to tear it down Monday and either fix or replace engine under warranty. The dealer and GM have been great about getting this problem fixed. It is using more oil as time has gone on. I would guess I am at 2 quarts every seven hundred miles now. Service guy at dealer ship believes it is a ring problem. Hopefully this solves problem for good.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's a lot of oil.

Thanks for the update. I'm curious to hear the final problem diagnosis now.

Steve, Host
  • montecarlolsusmontecarlolsus Member Posts: 1
    Thats unusual for a 3400 to be using oil. Between all of my family we have 3 of the 3400 engines and none of them use a drop of oil. My sister has a 1998 Venture and loves it. Much different from the junk 1996 Grand Caravan she traded for the Venture.
    I dropped off van Monday. They figured about a week to fix. I'm not in a hurry, they gave me a 2003 Chevy Impala to drive. Seems pretty nice. I also a have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous with a 3400 six in it. No one I have talked to has heard of this engine using oil. It has been very reliable for GM. I have bad luck with this kind of stuff. If it is bad I will get it. I will post what problem was when I get Van back.
  • lct1lct1 Member Posts: 21
    Any web sites or suggestions where I could get help in dealing with
    getting my van fixed. Looking for others with similar problems. Under
    warranty (20k miles)but dealers, GM customer service, and BBB have
    been mostly a waiste of time. I have Owned a GM vehicle for almost 30
    yrs and can't believe what I have gone through to get this van fixed.
    Problem with belt squeal and chirping since new I think is fixed. At
    one point the dealer lubed the belt without telling me and claimed
    there was nothing wrong. They covered up the problem and acted like I
    was crazy. After 5 belts, tensioner, and 10 attempts, 4 Dealers,
    seems that problem was nothing lined up properly when assembled. Now
    I am labled a problem customer and someone that you just can't
    sastify. Can't get questions answered or anything in writing. Other
    problem is AC. High pressure valve blew out at 19K miles, As soon as
    I got it back it was blowing warm air. Was told use rec. nothing
    wrong, next they recharged it, colder but not as it was when it
    broke. You could have made Ice cream in this van before it broke, now
    it is cool and gets worse the hotter it is outside. They say it is
    within specs. and refuse to go with me in other vans to show the
    difference, which I've done. Also since AC broke bad moldy smell.
    Before it broke still smelled like a new van. AC broke in Aug. when
    it was 95 outside. This is just some of the story with this van. More later, Thanks
    Just take it to another dealer. Some are better than others. It sounds like you service dealer is at the bottom of the list and doesn't want to bother with you. Take the hint, find another dealer. Good luck.
    ADVERTISEMENT

O2 Venture 3.4 , oil dripping off oil pan. Took it to the dealer
    they tightened the oil pan bolts. Also tightened the drain plug so
    tight I had to use a breaker bar on it when I changed the oil. Oil
    leak got worse. When I went back the service manager put in dye and
    said drive it for a few days. This was 2 months ago and although it
    is still leaking it is not as bad. Oil was plashing everthing under
    the van until dye was put in. My question is it possible they put a
    sealer in it? It was in a small bottle and the oil turned a dark
    green color. Thanks Len
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    My wife and I are considering the purchase of an Equinox. We are waiting to see one in person before we decide. This vehicle will have the 3400 engine in it mated to a 5 speed automatic tranmisson. Since this engine is used in the Venture van I thought this would be a good place to find out about the durability/fuel mileage/performance and general reliability people have had with this engine. I belive the Equinox will not be as heavy as the Venture. We are considering FWD not AWD in the Equinox. My sister has a Venture and loves it. Her family takes it on trips and gets mid 20's for gas mileage and her husband feels it has plenty of power.Comments please. Thanks
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    With about 25K on the engine, I would say it is a good engine. Fuel economy 22 mpg around town, 26 on the highway.

Some have reported gasket problems in older models. Not sure if this has been fixed in later models or engines needs to get 3 or 4 years old for it to show up.

I thought I read that the 3.4 engine for the equinox would be made in China.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    lennx has it right. It is a good engine in tha it has good low end torque (which translates to acceleration) and you get good gas mileage.

As the engine ages it does tend to get louder which some people like. So far I do not think GM has made changes to the gasket to resolve the leaking problems that plague their V6 engines. the leaking problem we are referring to is the intake manifold gasket. The coolant leaks into the engine block. it tends to show up as the engines gets older 3-4 years as lennx suggests. Of course there has been cases of it showing up earlier. And of course many people may not have had this problem at all.

I'm not sure of the long term affects but this is a known problem with this engine.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I believe GM redesigned the gasket last year (2003) to stop the leak problem.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    I had posted on the Nox site what a local GM mechanic told me about the gasket problem.
      He says GM feels the problem is caused by the heat/cool cycles of the engine causing the intake bolts to tighten themselves down, thus crushing the gasket material. This crushing later allows the gasket to split causing the leak. The fix is new intake bolts with a new torque sequence. The gasket is new in that it has steel spacers in the bolt holes to prevent the gasket from being crushed. He says the remedy was put into effect about 4(?) months ago. He says he believes this will fix the "leak" problem and the engine is a good,durable and fuel efficient model.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I have read a few places that the gasket issue has been addressed in the past year. Newer 3.4L motors should be fine. Most of the older ones seem to be ok also, but there is always a chance.

We are considering the Venture and Equinox both.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    The little bottle was dye, it changes the color of your oil and is reactive to a black light. That way, they can tell where the leak is coming from better. You should take it back in for followup so they can find your leak. They may have tightened up something when they added the dye, so you leak less, but if you still leak, it needs checked.
    I picked Venture up a few days ago. It took them about three weeks. They ended up replacing engine with a new one. When they tore it down they found out of round cylinders. It was cheaper to replace than to try and fix. I had a Chevy Impala as a loaner car and found it to be quite a nice car. I only hope now that the old extras off my engine work well on the new one. I will be checking oil a lot closer these days. The accounting bill I saw had a price of almost five thousand dollars, the courtesy car was over five hundred. I wonder how GM credits dealers on these things.
  • mlesnermlesner Member Posts: 4
    Rear end noise that can't be found. Service Bulletin #01-08-66-009 or NHTSA.org #627619 and Bulletin #02-08-59-003or NHTSA.org #10000163 for GM's useless fix to the problem.
    What kind of mileage numbers do owners get here city / highway?
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    My wife drives to/from work and averages 21-22 mpg. On our family vacations, I drive on hwy and average 25-26mpg.
    I have seen claims of 29 mpg on highway. My van on the highway 26-27 mpg, loaded down with AC on, first 3 trips. Last trip, same exact trip, less weight, no AC, 21-22 mpg. This tells me Van is not running right. Now I am looking forward to trying to get Mr. Goodwrench to fix. I always keep check on mpg, good way to spot a problem. Around town I'm getting 15-17, should be lower 20's. Looking foward to the normal response, NO PROBLEM FOUND, CAN'T DUPLICATE PROBLEM. Can't wait to go back to owning a car that is not under warranty so I can fix it myself.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What was your mpg like last winter? (Can't tell by your profile where you live - lots of AC use, so maybe you don't enjoy winter weather?).

I keep track of every tank too, so I understand your thinking.

I'd suggest the cold, oxy fuels, low tire pressure, but you're a wrench turner so I won't :-).

Steve, Host
    Are you buying the same brand of gasoline, or is it different from the first couple of tank fulls? I have found out that some of the cheaper brands that I have used gave me less MPG than the brand of gasoline that I use regularly. The cheaper gasoline (couple of cents at the pump) gave me as much as 4-5 MPG less! This was not saving me anything at the pump, since I was paying less, but using more.

I use Shell for my main fuel and I get better MPG than other brands in my area.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My '03 Silhouette is at 25,000 miles and I get a constant 22 mpg. around town. Most of my commute is at 60-70 mph but I do have quite a bit of 20-35. The trip computer tells me my average speed is just around 35 mph. I have gotten close to 29 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. I use Quick Trip (QT) regular exclusively since a station is very near the house. I find no difference in mpg when I have used Exxon or Mobil. A few years ago Consumer Reports did a research report on gasoline and stated their test showed that most regular unleaded gas was the same. The big difference was in the additive packages put into the premium grades.
    Got van last May, 1 yr old with 15,000 miles. Lived in Pa. until moving to NC 4 yrs ago. 570 mile trip home. Gas mileage always consistent anytime I have made trip in any vehicle. Have made trip around 25 times. 3 trips in June and July, 26 mpg up and 27 mpg back. Myself, wife and 3 kids 2 trips. Me and 2 kids one trip with less baggage. Mpg same each time. For years I have used BP gas 95% of the time. Same roads on trip, filled up same as always, gas gauge full, time, stops, etc. Mpg goes up on ride back cause it is more downhill. Fluids, filters, tire pressure, etc always checked on all my vehicles. Mpg done manually, Trip meter on console is waste of an option. Never really checked mileage much local driving. other than when I first got it, was 22 to 23 mpg. I have noticed around town gas gauge seemed to go down a lot faster than it used to. When I went up in Dec. was not that cold but didn't need AC. MPG was 21 up and 22 back, down about 5 mpg. GM says 650 miles on a full tank, and I have made trip without stopping for gas. Last trip I had to get gas at 500 miles so I could keep driving, was on fumes. Good guess from anyone van is not running properly. Van has a miss and rough idle. Getting van fixed is hard part. Don't mind cold or heat or winter or summer, although it really sucks when you have 3 kids and a sweat box to drive in, AC hasn't worked right since AUG. You mention heavy AC usage, I have always got good gas mileage on trips with AC on and loaded to the roof on my cars. With engine running properly and vehicle maitained AC hasn't effected MPG much on my travels. The way someone drives will have huge effect on gas mileage.

Question I have been meaning to post: Same van, same weight, same brand tires. 2002 Venture recommended tire pressure 32 PSI, on a 2003 Venture 35 PSI, Try and get that question answered from a dealer or GM. I have. Len Taylor
    Are you saying that you have a miss in the engine and it idles rough? If that is the case then yes, you have something wrong somewhere. If the dealer that you are using unable to find the problem, try a different dealer.

Don't use BP in my family since two people who own GM vehicles have had problems and GM dealer said to stay away from BP with GM cars. They did and haven't had any more problems. Don't know if the dealer is blowing smoke or what, but I don't want to find out.

Try using a fuel system cleaner for a couple of tanks.

Did you have the dealer look into the air conditioning problem? If they did and it still isn't working properly, find a better dealer.
    Thanx for the posts.

lct1, winter mileage numbers always drop off. It does on both our cars. Even 26-27 is great highway mileage, these vans are very good on gas.