Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• jsm1ajsm1a Member Posts: 3
    It turns out there was a dealer bulletin for my year venture.
    I took it to a dealer to have the PCM reprogrammed to correct
    false EGR position error.Cost $90.
  • nicholas_enicholas_e Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to fairly update my previous entry regarding www.thepartsyouneed.com and my remotes purchase. Eventually, I did receive what I ordered. But it was over a month after ordering and the service was poor. At this point I'm not sure if they work. I'm going to assume so. They are used remotes, but I expected that for the price. I still cannot recommend that anyone use www.thepartsyouneed.com.
  • whizerbangwhizerbang Member Posts: 4
    I have a bugs bunny edition 2000 venture van, and it has the usual number of problems, but overall drives very nice. I question whether this car has the 20 or the 25 gallon gas tank. This car appears to have about every accessory Chevy offers, that's why I am asking. I bought the car used, it was a repo by the bank. The gas gauge is spastic, sometimes full sometimes empty, so it's no help. I use the computer to tell how much gas is used, but I have no idea how much is left. I have only put about 12 gallons in it at a time due to the spastic gas gauge. If I know how big the tank was, I wouldn't keep filling it up so often. Is there any way to tell which tank it has?
  • 123venture123venture Member Posts: 8
    My interior Dome lights are not working and I was told maybe there is a problem with the ground circuit G302 located in right "B" pillar.
    Does anyone know where I check for this problem.
  • byker220byker220 Member Posts: 4
    My Ventures wiper blades stay in the full upright position when the switch is in the OFF position. Has anyone had this similar problem and does anyone have a fix?
    Did you check the switch that is in the ceiling. Mine has four switches right next to each other(power door,alarm, etc..) One of the switches will keep the interior lights off.
    Thanks but all he switches seem fine, I'm trying to find out where to find where the G302 CIRCUIT is. Apparently I have a short in the system and I'm wondering if the G302 CIRCUIT is on the sliding door of the van

If anyone knows please respond
    thanks
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    My service manual for 2002 Silhouette shows the G302 Circuit is secured (screw) near the base of the right B-pillar, not in the sliding door. This will be under the trim. Right is passenger side.
    thanks for the input Just4fun2. I'll check and see if this solves my problems with my dome lights.
  • esiegelesiegel Member Posts: 1
    Hello, All:

Our Venture 2000 alarm has been going off sporadically. Here's what I have done:

1) Tried to change the programming of the content and damage sensor alarms to turn them off. This doesn't work at all...there are no chimes when I turn the parking lamp on and off.

2) Checked the setup of our system...when I took out the correct fuse, and set the key to the accessories position, I got three chimes. This means, according to the table, that we have no contents or damage alarm system. In addition, our system has a flashing LED to the left of the steering column that is not shown in the manual.

3) Called the dealer who told us to turn off the valet switch. This didn't help.

Any ideas?

TIA

Eric from NY

:confuse:
  • ts60423ts60423 Member Posts: 52
    The larger gas tank is in all extended length chevy vans (which includes all WB, I believe). The wheelbase is longer making room for the larger tank. My 2000 Venture had the same fuel gauge problem after about 100k miles, and it was actually a chevy-wide problem for a few years. The float assembly in the gas tank is bad, and needs replacing. The assembly is sold seperately from the fuel pump it is attached to, don't let anyone tell you different - the part should not cost more than 80-90 bucks (US). The tanks are also VERY accessable and about the easiest to take down of any modern vehicle out there, if you have done that before. Just remember that the tanks are pressurized. Also bear in mind that the computer reading is an approximation, and mine is usually about a gallon off, depending on what kind of driving I do.
  • ts60423ts60423 Member Posts: 52
    I am not sure I understand - I know that if I turn off the ignition when the wipers are up, they will stay there. Do you mean that the arms are up when the wipers are off? If they are but they work otherwise, check your linkages located under the hood, maybe one is out of sync and not attached where it should be?
  • alleclercalleclerc Member Posts: 5
    I had this problem. It was intermittent but wasn't convienient on holidays or when it was raining or snowing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the switch and it solved the problem. It cost less than $200.00 (can)
    Yes, I meant that the arms stay up with the wipers off. I found the problem though. There's a small tab above the wiper motor assembly. The tab must have gotten jammed by some ice( it was snowing hard when this started) and got out of position. I bent the tab back slightly towards the drivers side and it works fine now. This tab appears to catch a switch on the motor to return it to home when off.
  • kanderson03kanderson03 Member Posts: 1
    I dont have an owners manual and i was wondering what type of oil a 2005 chenvy venture takes 5w-30 or 10w-30
  • hayworthhayworth Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Venture with the power sliding door not functioning. The door currently will not unlock which caused the door not to open either manually or electronically. Anyone know how to fix this?
  • iainaiaina Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Chevy Venture, and the rear hatch no longer stays locked.

Is this something that is easy to fix? I'm hoping that someone will say that the part is cheap and point me in the direction of how to fix it. A link to some instructions would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'll be forced to spend more hard-earned dollars with our local gas station.

Thanks,
    Iain
  • rkehlerrkehler Member Posts: 1
    This may sound silly, but is it printed on the oil filler cap? :blush:
  • alleclercalleclerc Member Posts: 5
    When I first got my van I went to Canadian Tire to have the air filter changed - they charged me $20 labour and it took an hour before they got to my van and I got it back. The next time I went to a "The Great Canadian Oil Change" -they charged me $5.00 and it only took 5 minutes!
  • bmoranbmoran Member Posts: 1
    On my 1997 chev. venture here is the problem.When I get in the vehicle and start it up then put it into gear. The locks should engage. Mine no longer do. Also when getting out of the vehicle and locking the doors at the armrest buttons it should chime 3 times and lock automatic. This is not happening. Dome light does not come on when car is stopped and turned off and key removed. All the door do not unlock when I stop the car and put it in park. I have to unlock manually. I do not have a hand held remote for locks. It is all done at the door. I have checked the fuses inside and out and can not seem to find that one is out. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ventureownerventureowner Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any one has a problem with the paint bubbling on the hood and paint loss on the front fenders?
  • doc_blazindoc_blazin Member Posts: 3
    have you fixed this problem??? If so I need help because I have the same problem. :cry: :lemon:
  • tahill79tahill79 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 warner bros edition and im having the same problem. did you figure out a fix? thanx for the help
  • lorijerrylorijerry Member Posts: 1
    Just got one and the rear window motor is acting up how did you get your fixed?
  • dmoredmore Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 venture 5 days ago and feel like an idiot. 3 days after purchase the cruise control, brake lites and traction system decided to take a vacation. But right now my question is: How the heck do you set the clock in the thing? The manual tells me to press buttons that do not exist in my vehicle. Help!
  • adsoadso Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Chevy Venture with the 3.4L V6.The engine has 123,000 km on it and recently we have noticed a fuel smell. The smell is intermitent and has occured mostly at start-up and while idling for more than a few minutes.
    We have noticed the smell even on days after a fuel fill-up.
    Any idea where the fuel smell is from?
    Thanks.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    You may have bent the 'parking pawl'. This usually happens when you've been snowed on and cleaned out the snow, a part gets bent on the wiper transmission. Sometimes a mechanic can do some adjusting to get it to work, but I believe usually you need to replace the transmission. It can be a high-dollar repair ($200-$300, thereabouts)
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Check your brake light bulbs. If they aren't working, your cruise won't work.
  • huneyhuney Member Posts: 6
    Hmmmm . . . . First I'd change the fuel filter then check all connections on the gas lines all the way to the injectors. The fuel fill door should be in good condition and make sure the air filter is clean. Other than that, if you don't find the problem pronto consult with your GM service dept immediately because raw fuel is a bad, bad, no no.
  • yellowgreen7yellowgreen7 Member Posts: 1
    we had a similar problem our dealer said the wire connections underneath were loose?
  • absabs Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if you may already have the answer, but here is what worked on my 2000 Venture. The upper assembly on the wiper motor rotates forward to run the wipers. When switched off, the assembly runs backward for a turn. There is an electric operated key that needs to move out of the inner wheel to allow the drive to disengage. Over time, the lubricant gives way to the dust buildup and the key doesn't let go... the wipers move up and stay there.
    Take the cover off of the upper assembly and spray about 8 cents worth of WD40 at it and you will save the 200 bucks at the dealer.
    I had a similar problem and eventually found the cause under the floor mat on the passenger side. It takes about an hour to get to. Look for water while you are down there.
    My AC was leaking back into the cab and filled the passenger side floor with water which corroded the wires.
    A bit of solder, grease, and electrical tape fixed the door problem. (Fixing my blower motor resistor will probably stop the AC condnesate from flooding the floor in the future, but I have found that running it on high helps a lot too.) Good luck.
    I took mine apart and found that the main gear and the worm that turns it are plastic! If the wiper siezes (or is not properly greased) and you try to run the motor, then these two gears eat each other and eventually stop working.
    Bite the bullet, replace the motor / transmission assembly (mine came from an auto wrecker for $120)
    My practice is to i) grease it every 6 months and ii) run it at least once a week.
    Good Luck.
  • edna1edna1 Member Posts: 2
    it sounds like you have our van...add to it the wiper motor breaking 3 times now because of MI winters and the gasket leaking and I'd think you were me. I get very frustrated with it because I bought a new van to avoid problems and here I am at 85,000 miles and I could have bought a new van by now with all of the repairs. I've spoken to the dealer and customer service since we started having problems 1000 miles after the warranty expired and their comment was that we should have gotten the extended warranty. I think we bought our last chevrolet product...
  • edna1edna1 Member Posts: 2
    that has happened to our 2000 venture, but it was the least of our problems so we ignored it. Most of ours was on the roof and by the top of the hood
    If you live where it regularly gets frezing or below go with the 5-30 but if you live where it seldom freezes go 10-30.
    By the way, WalMart sells their Super Tech full synthetic oil for $12.88 five quarts, half the price of Mobil1 and meets the same American Petroleum Institute specs.
    That doesn't sound right at all. GM made an error programming the PCM and YOU had to pay $90. to correct it? I bought a 2000 Venture used and it is the first GM product I ever owned, always drove Fords and Hondas. The more I learn about GM the less I like them and this is the first and last GM product I will ever own.

In my opinion, this thing with the intake manifold gaskets leaking and costing $800. to replace is another GM engineering error as is DexCool the DeathCool. There is evidently some kind of electrolosis set up by an aluminum head and iron block whereby the intake manifold gasket is eaten up and craps out leaving the owner with a big repair bill.
    I changed mine and had to completely remove the rubber hose so I could get the filter box cover off. Really a beautiflu piece of GM master enginering where you make it as difficult as possible to work on. You theink that's bad, try replacing the spark plugs where you have to take the dog bones loose and "roll" the engine.
  • bamaboy1bamaboy1 Member Posts: 1
    can get vcr to play has pic but cannot figure how to get sound out of speakers
  • ekarasikekarasik Member Posts: 5
    I tried following the instructions on programming a remote for my 98 silo (should be the same as the venture), it seems I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
    I remove the plug (yes, the bcm prgrm one), get in the car (all doors including liftgate are shut), I turn to ACC, off and back on again (within a sec.), open a door (chime) close it (chime - seems because there's a key in the ingnition), wait 14 secs, nothing. hold lock/unlock for 30 secs, nothing. Somebody help! what am I doing wrong?
  • bwaters1bwaters1 Member Posts: 1
    About your rear thumping noise, I have a 2002 Montana and am experiencing the same thing. It is not the gas in th gas tank. I searched for the problem on the Pontiac Montana forum and there a number of postings regarding this. The postings are saying that there is a build up of water in the jack well in the rear of the vehicle which leaks in from a number of different locations. Go to the Montana forum and enter sloshing in the search box and read the other postings. Hope this helps.

Waters
  • neofleeneoflee Member Posts: 1
    Omg I just did the same thing, My wife is going to Ne tomorrow for the weekend so I thought I would check the Air filter with little light in my garage, it turned out to be a two hour ordeal, I just got done and its 2am started at 12, what a PIA :mad:
  • neveragain1neveragain1 Member Posts: 11
    Don't do it!!! I have always had GM's but this is the last. I have almost paid for my 01 twice over with repairs. I am going Japanese now. It's SO funny - when we were looking at minivans two and half years ago, there was about $8K difference between Toyota and my venture and my husband said "you could do a lot of repairs with eight thousand dollars" so we bought the venture and have spent the difference in repairs!! No kidding - don't do it. It's not just mine, its ALL of them - montana's and silouttes too. My step sister is ridding herself of her olds sil for the same reasons - unreliability. They are comfy and have all the toys but they are not reliable and you will be jumping up and down saying "never again" after buying one. If you do buy one - buy the MOST EXTENSIVE EXTENDED WARRANTY you can get - you will need it! AND put ALL your spare money in an account for repairs because every repair is six hundred or more and usually more! No kidding.
  • neveragain1neveragain1 Member Posts: 11
    My venture I purchased 2 1/2 years ago for $10K - since then, put nearly $8K in repairs! Struts, three wheel bearings, egr, intake gasket thankfully covered under private extended warranty I bought, fan system not changing direction and not blowing on 1,2 to name just a few of the challenges I've had. Oh ya, gas gauge not working - for the 4th time. GM may come good for this since it failed for the first time at 3 months of age!
    New problem - chugging starts either going up a hill or from a stop and stalling when making sharp corners. Replaced fuel filter to see if that would work - nope. Back to the dealership - they can't find it. No codes, no engine light - nothing. Intermittant problem too so it behaved for them but then 15 minutes down the road it starts chugging so bad, I thought I wouldn't make it home. Sharp turns, stalls - again intermittantly. Going to another mechanic tomorrow who thinks it could be electrical problem. He also thinks that something is trying to find a ground and has been shorting out my wheel bearings -this is the first time I have heard that it could be an electrical problem doing them in. Also, my stereo is burning hot if you touch it and has always been that way. Occasionally smell a burning smell but can't find anything. Suggestions? Oh ya, I'm on the hunt for an 02 Mazda MPV - no more GM but need this one fixed to get my through until the Mazda can be found. Idea's?
  • farmlife4farmlife4 Member Posts: 1
    Also, New to this Forumand I hate my Venture 2002
    I am at 62,000 miles and head gasket gone, having head tested as we speak, have the infamous dexcool, a/c went and brakes/rotors went in under 20,000miles since new pads. I hate to think what is next to come!
    Any advice on possible connection with the a/c and engine woes? And if they are not related at all, is there any benefit to having the work done on the a/c while the engine is out as far as access goes? I can't afford these repairs have only had my $13,000 vehicle for 6months and am already at $2100 USD to fix. I'm wondering since my engine is pulled out what is the deal with getting at the a/c while they are in there? Any parts I can question them about? Can you see from visual inspection any flaws. Repair shop is telling me they have to be able to run the a/c and can't since the engine is pulled. I am livid about this crappy van!
  • jfeisthameljfeisthamel Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 1997 chevy venture - didn't pass inspection due to Hazard light. The hazard light switch isn't working properly. When I push it down it pops back up. The Hazards don't come on at all. however, When I hold the button down (and don't let go) only the passenger side flashes. The Inside directionals do not flash when I hold it down. However, Directionals work no problem. Any Ideas?
  • jfeisthameljfeisthamel Member Posts: 5
    How do I install a new Hazard Light Switch? The switch is located on the steering column of 97 Chevy Venture. It is a one piece unit with the directional and it has cruise control. Does anyone know how to install? :confuse: ">
  • dbyrd3130dbyrd3130 Member Posts: 1
    SAME HERE ON MY 2005...FOUND OUT THAT IT HAD BEEN ORDERED WITHOUT REMOTE LOCKS- THE PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE WORKS FINE UNTIL THE LAST BEEP...DAMN. I ORDERED THE REMOTE LOCK CONTROL UNIT TO SEE IF IT MIGHT WORK IF I PLUGGED IN AND THEN PROGRAMMED BUT HAVE NOT HAD TIME AS OF YET.
  • jsimmerinjsimmerin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Venture that had the same spastic gas gauge problem. Before you go out and buy a new one, treat a tank of gas with Sea Foam. I did this, it cleared out the gunk and now my gauge works perfectly.