Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Our Venture came with one child seat in the 8 seat set up. Our initial test drive this seat was uncomfortable due to all the straps/buckle behind.

However, in the van we have you cannot tell the difference. In any event this should have been a delete option.

No problems with DI, but had to re set compass from GA Band 8 to NJ Band 11. Handbook tells you about driving around three times in a circle.

On the pass key had an odd experience when stopped for gas and engine off, I turned the key towards me for accessories to listen to radio, and all the warning lights on the dash lit up as if I was about to start the van. Next time I stopped it had self corrected.

I have to say that apart fromm ability to change oil and light bulbs, there is very little one can do to save trips to the dealer. The electrical system does look very complex judging by the number of fuses.

Always interested in other Venture news.
  • ptisdale1ptisdale1 Member Posts: 1
    97 Venture owner with a long histroy and warnings... Just under 50,000 miles of squeaky brakes (normal according to the dealer), replaced the heater core (after 36K warranty ran out), power steering pump makes noise (dealer could not resolve & out of warranty), and just to top it all off a $1900 transmission repair bill (no warranty) caused by trans overheating (apparent design defect).
    A few tips....if you buy...get the trailer package to get the trans cooler, the rear a/c is a must have item. If the heat is insufficient there is a restrictor in the heater core line that can be removed by the dealer to improve heat flow. When you ask about it they probably give you a dumb look, but there are tech bulletins out on it. There have been recent tech bulletins about the trans fluid and overheating, but GM isn't ready to do anything about it yet. They know about the ODOR from the heat / AC also, there are tech bulletins out on what causes it (mold) and how to fix .I strongly suggest any current owners to subscribe to Alldata.com and read all the tech bulletins on their vehicle while it is still under warranty...then bug the dealer to fix the items before it goes wrong on your dollar.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Sorry to hear about your Venture. I have a 97 also and have not had any serious problems. We do have the heavy duty transmission with cooler. I tried going to URL Alldata.com but get an error saying unable to reach server. Is this the correct address? We have 37,000 miles so just out of warranty but I am interested in reading the bulletins to maybe head off any potential problems.

BTW, I did notice my power steering fluid was low. I hope its not a warning sign. I'll check it again this weekend.

Thanks.
    Did get onto the Alldata.com site and very informative. The 97 had an extensive list of bulletins issued. Not sure whether this was the first model year after the Lumina van.

Just got a 2000 and all fine, I hope they fixed all these issues since 97....
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    Try alldata.com instead of Alldata.com since URL's are case sensitive. Very informative website indeed! We haven't used AC yet in our new Venture so I don't know if there is any odor present.
  • ptisdaleptisdale Member Posts: 1
    Try ALLDATADIY.COM.......All Data Do It Yourself
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the responses. I found I needed to put a "www." in front of "AllData.com" so the URL is "www.AllData.com" to get to the site. Maybe its required by my browser. Also, I don't believe URL's are case sensitive because "www.alldata.com" works as well. Thanks again.

BTW, the steering fluid level was fine in my Venture. I may have avoided a problem by checking it. We take our car to a local chain and they are suppose to check all the fluids but I don't think they do. Moral of the story, check everything yourself, twice!
  • gil124gil124 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about buying a new 99 venture. I was wondering if there has been any problems that I should know about before I buy. I am trading out of a 95 windstar that has had a ton of problems , this time I want to know before I buy what kind of problems i might have.
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    When we picked up our Venture Warner Brothers Van the headrest on the second seat behind the passenger had a deep scratch in it. Told the dealer about and he said they would order the part. When it came in it was a piece of leather and they said that they would sent headrest to local upholstery shop to have them sew it on. Does this sound right. I figured they would replace the whole headrest assembly, I asked and they said it was GM policy to only replace the covering. Should I let them do this or call GM and verify this is the procedure. Also wondering has anyone tried to hook up a Nintendo 64 to the Video System. I looked at my Nintendo and can't see how to get power to it from the Van, it dosen't have one pin going in for power. I can see how to get the older systems like Super Nintendo hooked up, but the newer systems seem to use a different power cord.
    I would suggest you call GM hotline with your VIN
    number and tell them what has happened. You never know with the dealer. www.chevrolet.com has the info

I have found them to be very helpful in resolving problems. Still waiting for headesets on LT I got in March, supposed to be 4 weeks after delivery.

Re Nintendo 64,is it 110 volts not 12 volt DC (some of the small TV's are dual). There is a converter frequently advertised that plugs into cig lighter socket and allows you to run 110 volts.

Keep posting
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    The Nintendo 64 is 12 volts dc, but it has a 6 prong power adapter. I read a posting somewhere that said they had used a Nintendo 64 in their Van. I'm thinking they meant Super Nintendo. I can't see any way with the setup in back of the 64 to adapt it to the Van. I might try to call Nintendo and see if they have an adapter.

Also we received our Headphone in under three week. I think you should call and see where they are
  • re025901re025901 Member Posts: 7
    I won a Venture in a contest and don't need it. It is completely loaded. It is one step below the Warner Bros edition. It has every option imaginable. It is the silvermist color. Since i had to order it, I won't take delivery until late april. The factory sticker price is 28515 and i know there is a 1500 rebate being offered. I Guarantee I will beat any dealer's price. I GUARANTEE IT. I live in the los angeles area. You can email me at re025901@student.fullerton.edu for more info.
  • juliez1juliez1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a new 2000 Venture and really enjoy driving it. However, we are having problems with water getting in to the passenger compartment. I believe it is leaking in 2 areas: the passenger sliding door gasket, at the top and the passenger side jack storage compartment at the bottom. Has anyone else has this problem with a Venture? How was it resolved?
  • venman1venman1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello and yes I had a problem with water coming in near the jack area. I found out myself that it was coming in from the little rubber boot that you can see when you open your hatch, it is located at the top where the hinges are. It was not sealing and everytime it rained it would leak and travel through the headliner and down right where the jack was stored. I would strongly recomend you take it to your dealer and have it fixed (also there is two of these boots one on the drivers side and one on the pass side.
  • sk8forkixsk8forkix Member Posts: 1
    I do have a 2000 venture wich i purchased in november of 99, recently i also had troubles with water leaking in, but not from the jack side compartment, when i brought it in for repairs i was told water was comeing in through the rear tail light, that could also be an option, my tail lite was removed and resealed
  • mstakormstakor Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Venture recently and noticed that my temperature gauge would climb to approximately 3/4 scale (1/8 of the scale from red zone) when I would sit idle for awhile (in about 75 degree F weather). I returned to the dealer and they said that I had an air pocket in the cooling system. Well I was back at the dealer within a week with the same problem and the dealer indicated that this was normal and I shouldn't worry. He indicated that the vehicle had reached 230 degree F, and that this was the temp that the cooling fan would start. I typically hear operating temperatures between 195 to 210, not all the way to 230. I have never had a vehicle that would climb that high on the temp gauge without some sort of problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • fschmaltzfschmaltz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Venture I noticed a surging between 50 and 65 mph has anyone noticed this with there van .otherwise very satisfied
    Your temperature seems unusually high. Mine does not climb over 1/3 of the range under normal conditions. The only time it climbed higher was about 3 weeks after we bought our 2000 Venture last Feb. Turns out the radiator was improperly installed at the factory and it burst! We've had no other problems since and the rad was promptly replaced under warranty with no hassles.
    Not sure what you mean by surging. Are you talking about a temperature surge?
  • trouttimtrouttim Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 2000 Warner Bros. Venture. I noticed that if I am stopped on an incline and take my foot off of the brake, the vehicle will roll back (about 3'). Anyone notice this with their Venture.
  • venman1venman1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 venture and noticed that it does run alot hotter than my other vehicles. usually at about the 1/2 way mark or slightly higher . I called my dealership and they told me that it is desighned to run at a hotter temp so it burns richer and is more effiecient.He also told me that the fan does not kick on till 237 degrees
    and then would only stay on till the temp was 220
    degrees. he assured me that it was normal and
    unless it goes in the red area it was nothing to be concerened about (also alltitude makes a difference in how hot the engine runs)
    Just to add to conversation, my 2000 usually settles at about 10 o'clock. Stuck in traffic it has gone over to about 1'o'clock then you hear the fans kick in at brings it back, then it will go up and back.We have two fans, not sure if one is just radiator and the other comes on when AC is operating.

The handbook shows the thermostat will open at 195 degrees. I guess every gauge is different and will vary from model to model.
  • awagon1awagon1 Member Posts: 5
    Seems like in our Venture we need to keep the climate controls set on defrost, especially in tunnels. Even after hours of highway cruising if we switch out of defrost we fog.

Other than only needing defrost, we think our Venture is great.

Any one else experiencing problems, or heard of a fix for the ventilation system?
  • 4steri4steri Member Posts: 7
    Your fogging may be, because your climate controls are set on recirc. if so try fresh air settings and your fogging should be eliminated.
    Recirc. is only used for quick warm up or a\c
    then should be set back to fresh air.
  • adventuremanadventureman Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks: I am new her and I am looking at a particular Chevy Venture which is a 2000 LS - Extended. It has been driven by a salesman and has about 4000 miles on it. I am interested in purchasing it at Bergland Chevrolet in Roanoke, VA. Question: should I expect any deduction of price because it has 4000+ miles on it? Appreciate any information. Thanks. Adventure Man.
  • harshweharshwe Member Posts: 5
    purchased a new 2000 venture and picked it up last
    thursday evening...

We drove to the parents to visit over the weekend. It rained Sunday evening (van parked outside). While loading the van this morning, we found that the floor mat (behind the third row of seats) was soaked. It appears that the water came through the "hole" where the wiring goes from the van to the liftgate. The wiring is inside a "rubber hose" for protection, but the water appears to have gotten past the boot and then dripped from the rear most dome light...

the Dealer "hasn't seen this before"... they are
    going to start figuring it out tomorrow...
  • august6august6 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a 1998 venture with 12400mi,LDS with driver side sliding door, roor rack,and keyless entry, is this a good price? dose anyone have any infomation about the van? please advise me is it a good chioce?
    Would not touch it. If you go to www.alldata.com
    select 1998 and under Chevy Truck pull up Venture and you will see that Chevy issued 102 bulletins on this model year of problems....Good luck
    I hope the dealer is not trying to get same price as a new one. 4000 miles are off your warranty and you really don't know how it has been driven and how many people eventhough one guy has been involved. Was it a demo? Really need to get a quote, then look at a new one with same features. Also go to Chevy web page and review current discounts $1500 or low cost financing. Do as much research prior to parting with your cash. Check Kellys blue book they are on line for secondhand prices.
  • bpaynterbpaynter Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for some recent-model year Chevy Venture owners who are interested in talking about their ownership experience. I am working on the 2001 Venture catalog and would like to include actual owners' words.

Specifically, I'm looking for:
    1) A family who very actively uses their Venture to discuss its versatility and
    adaptability.
    2) A Venture LS family (mom, dad, two or more
    kids) whose children are soccer players. Kids
    should be fairly young.
    3) Venture LT family living in the Rocky Mountain
    area who take their Venture on skiing vacations.
    Should have two or three children.
    4) Venture Warner Bros. Edition family living in
    Southern California who like to travel in their
    Venture. Should have two or three children.

I certainly would appreciate any response I get on
    this. I can be contacted via e-mail at
    bpaynter@cecom.com. Thank you.
  • venture4meventure4me Member Posts: 3
    I'd love to brag about our Venture, we have an LS and it is used to haul our two kids and 2 dogs to our business every day. Then at lunch time all of the seats come out, I deliver baby furniture from 4-6pm and then at 7 all the seats go back in.
    We have 31,000 miles in 13 months. Just love to drive it. Use it to demonstrate proper car seat installation for our business.

We are looking to buy a second one when replacing my Beretta
  • brooksie1brooksie1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Venture LT in October of 1999. I noticed the same problem with the van rolling back. In addition, on a level surface, it will roll forward about 2 to 3 inches after putting it in park.
    We have had our Dark Blue LT 8 seater just under two months and at the 3000 mile level. Not a single complaint. Headphones came in three weeks after delivery. Engine and transmission virtually silent on the highway

No leaks in rear gate as recently posted by others over last few days.

Drove this week to Boston to pick up my daughter from BC. Ave 28.2mpg at ave speed of 54.9mph. A real highway cruiser in comfort for 530 miles round trip.

Prior to this we had the Lumina APV for 9 years, with 146,000 miles and quite a few new parts. It got whacked and went to the great auto cemetery in the sky (Probably Staten Island !!).

LT was an carorder.com special order purchase at $24500 all up incl NJ tax.Took 8 weeks. Dealer was Reedman of Langhorne PA...great people. CO now pricing $3116 more. Believe me we are very (eternally) grateful.

We discounted Chrylser/Ford. Looked at Nissan Quest/Sienna and Mazda MPV, but none of them came close in price and versatility of the Venture as the best college hauler/ice hockey tourney trips.

Still a $1500 rebate available ex dealer stock based on Chevy Web site.
  • lindeman1lindeman1 Member Posts: 9
    Overall, the GM minivans (Venture, Transport and Silhouette) are very competent and comfortable. I just can't figure out why GM insists on such a low seat height for the middle and rear seats. I have compared them with others and they are much lower to the floor. I find them very uncomfortable and don't like the "knees against your ears" sitting position back there. Same was true for the previous "dustbuster" minivans. Car magazines have criticized this also and with all the headroom available, these seats could easily be raised to make them more comfortable (try the back seats of a Windstar, Caravan, Villager, Sienna, Odyssey etc. for a comparison if any adults are going to have to ride in the back). For what it's worth, the GM sedans are no better.
    Happen to notice this issue came up in #208 & #209 and I guess it is what you are used to driving. Posted recently we went from Lumina APV to Venture LT with 8 seats. As mentioned in #209 there is a rise in the floor - theater seating.
    No one has complained in our family.

However the big advantage for me is that all the seats pop out individually. Chrysler still putting a big bench in the back and will be on their new model out this fall.
    NYTimes had small piece on 2001 models with minor body changes, but most seems to be inside. Wireless headphones, so assume no wires hanging down. Larger TV screen for WBE.

New seats that fold flat. Would appear that may be like the Ody/Mazda MPV as it mentioned a well for shopping. However also refers to 2nd row in addition.
    I'd be very interested in discussing your Venture LS with you, since it sounds like you have to be really adaptable with your minivan. Please email me at bpaynter@cecom.com and I will contact you soon.

Thanks for responding.
    I am looking for some recent-model year Chevy
    Venture owners who are interested in talking about
    their ownership experience. I am working on the
    2001 Venture catalog and would like to include
    actual owners' words.

1) A family who very actively uses their Venture
    to discuss its versatility and adaptability.
    2) A Venture LS family (mom, dad, two or more
    should be fairly young.
    3) Venture LT family living in the Rocky Mountain
    4) Venture Warner Bros. Edition family living in
    Southern California who like to travel in their
    Venture. Should have two or three children.

• mpassmpass Member Posts: 17
    Recently we have begun to notice a noise, a thump, that is made by the front end of our 98 Venture when the van is in a hard turn, in reverse, or braking hard. It sounds like a deep popping noise from the front end. Any ideas? Struts? Bushings?

Thanks for your input!
    As an idea, it could be the Constant Velocity Joints wearing, but you don't give mileage. On the hard turn they will make a noise if they are on their way out. These can be replaced on an exchange basis, but if you are still under warranty take it to the dealer.

Good luck
  • wanzawanza Member Posts: 1
    Hi I purchased a Chevy 2000 Venture about a month ago. I have had problem with it cutting off while I am driving. I took it back to the dealer they could find any thing wrong but changed the ignition switch. Then a week later I went to start it up and it would not start, I had to have It towed back to the dealer and that is where it is now. What should I do.
    To see new front end..only picture shown go to www.cars.com and click on NY Autoshow icon. In left side bar mentions new GM minivans. Gone is the chrome grill in favor of a all painted single bar.
  • sloan2sloan2 Member Posts: 8
    To Mikeglyn: It is really unfortunate that you have experienced so many annoyances with your Venture. I can suggest one remedy for your banging sliding door glass. Adjust the window. My Venture had the same problem. The window was too low on the end that latches and was hitting the metal on the van when we hit a bump. The adjustment is at the hinge end. Once mine was adjusted, I had no more problems. You may also want to get some silicone spray and apply silicone around all the window seals, including the little rubber square piece that the window rests against. This stopped some of the squeaking as well.

Now to MPASS: My Venture has the same problem, the loud poping noise that sounds like it comes from the front suspension. It does this very rarely and only during hard acceleration from a dead stop and sometimes as the Van begins to back up. I think it happens because the weight shifts quickly from front to rear. My Van has been in a wreck, though, and I thought it was related to the wreck, although the wreck did not affect the front of the Van. If you find out what the problem is, please post it.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    GREAT value for the money! Paid $300 below dealers invoice (special deal thru wifes employer), PLUS got the 0.9% financing for 60 mos., which is like a free loan. Looked at Caravan, liked the layout & engine of Venture better, did not like all the tranny problems reported in Town Hall from Dodge/Chrysler van owners. Would have liked to look at an Odyssey, but there are none in our area, and was wondering if they are really worth their MSRP.
    Anyway, Venture drives like a dream, so far. Love the large side mirrors (about 2x as big as the ones on our Lumina). Got the Plus interior, pretty basic, with the split-bench seats in back, (no problem taking those out), kind of plasticky looking, but w/2 small kids, it cleans up nicely. Got the RDS radio/CD player, too. Gas mileage low 20's around town and plan to take it on its first road trip this weekend. Only concern is where the wipers rest, under the hood. Seems like this will be a problem come winter, w/ice and snow accumulating there. Also, the wipers leave a V-shaped spot in the center of the windshield, behing the mirror. Bothers me, but I guess I'm used to wipers that clean right-to-left. All in all, a great van, and we plan to keep it many many years (hopefully trouble-free). Check one out if you're shopping around. Some great deals out there!
    You've just described our van! Do you have the long or short wheelbase? Yeah it really rides wonderfully with more than adequate power. Fuel consumption is quite good so far with mostly city driving. As for the wipers in winter don't worry about it. The first 4 days we owned this van it snowed every day last february. Sure some snow accumulates a bit there but you just brush it off like any other vehicle.
    I am looking for some recent-model year Chevy
    Venture owners who are interested in talking about
    their ownership experience. I am working on the
    2001 Venture catalog and would like to include
    actual owners' words.

1) A Venture LS family (mom, dad, two or more
    should be fairly young (between 5 and 13).
    2) Venture LT family living in the Rocky Mountain

Noticed over weekend that some of the stiching on left rear of drivers side seat had come away, exposing a plastic strip.Have had nothing large in back pocket, but will be fixed by dealer via an upholstery shop under warranty. Will also have front toe in checked as slightly steering to left. Just as info
  • ayllamsayllams Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I bought a new 2000 Chevy Venture on Monday May 8. It did not start the next day --- the van has only 40 miles on it! Had it towed to the dealer and they said it was a bad battery and that the negative bolt was loose and stripped. they replaced the bolt and I went to pick it up on Wednesday and it would not start again!! They looked all Wed and on Thursday they called up and said think it was the security system. Today is Friday (May 12) and they are still looking into it. Has anyone seen a similar problem? Also the person who posted #416--- is your problem fixed? I would appreciate any info. You may email me at ayllams@yahoo.com.
    Thank-you.
  • beentherebeenthere Member Posts: 1
    Wow...glad I stopped by this site! Next wk our 99 Venture loaded LS model will be repurchased from the manufacturer after pursuing the Lemon Law--problem w/ ABS brakes that couldn't be fixed. Now we're doing the "van shopping" thing all over again and guess what? We're back to the VENTURE! We have searched every model high and low and have not found anything comparable for the money or ride. We definitely got the most "bang for our buck" w/ this product despite that one and ONLY AGGRAVATING problem.

Even when we test drove all the newer vehicles we were not impressed at all. Good luck if you can find an Odyssey-plus there's no "child infrastructure" in the back seat...my daughter could not even reach the cup holder! The dealers are using the old supply & demand principle to keep the price UP which is a crock-they just don't have the capacity-period. Toyota finally made enough Siennas this year, but can't put the price range in the "family first" range. Plus, what's up w/ that tacky looking gear shift? Ugh! The Ford Windstar still drives like a truck and has poor acceleration and the rest...don't even deserve a one-liner. So, should one lemon sour the entire lot?

p.s. for those of you wondering abt that "popping" noise coming from the front/rear end when putting the car in gear or backing up, I was told it's the ABS system engaging or some nonsense like that.
  • dvdlee98dvdlee98 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Venture recently and noticed
    that there is water leaking into the vehicle
    through the middle windows on both sides. This
    only happens while the car is sitting in the rain for a coupe of hours. I can see the water getting into the car through the bottom of the window. It did not happen while driving or going through car wash. The dealer replaced the weather strips on both sliding doors. It is still leaking.
    Another problem is that It is VERY difficult to close the passenger side sliding door. It is not a power door. We are having trouble getting it latched.
    Has anyone else experienced this?